Photo by Melody

Weather: Local weather, January 2005, It's a joy to be alive!

Communities > Forums > Weather
bookmark
Forum: WeatherReplies: 194, Views: 1,123
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 1, 2005
5:17 PM

Post #1216050

A most Happy New Year. May 2005 bring joy and cheer, Hostas, Hueceras, Roses, Brugs, Clemantises, Hibiscus, Poppies,Milk weed, Coleuses. Well now there's my journal.LOL
A beautiful garening day here. Sunny 75. Getting some of my "secret dirt", fixed-up and really planing my new garden.
Thought we could use a fresh start. Sidney
roseone33
Southern Mountains, GA
(Zone 6b)

January 1, 2005
5:36 PM

Post #1216092

Good idea, 61 and sunny here, just back from Lowe's with a bag of dolomitic lime.
jcangemi
Clovis, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 1, 2005
6:20 PM

Post #1216172

Thanks sugar, seems an appropriate day to start fresh! Sun is finally shining here after about 3 days of solid rain. . .it rained so much, my flower beds are lakes. We've had 2.25" of rain in the last 5 days. That's not alot by some standards, but for here it is ALOT! And there's more on the way. The sunshine is a nice respite.
sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 1, 2005
7:45 PM

Post #1216274

.Can you trench it away from the bed? I've had to do that alot
Kathy_T
Santa Clara, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 1, 2005
8:12 PM

Post #1216309

We had our first sun today for about 4 hours before it started to rain again (it's been raining since Christmas). Was able to plant some bulbs I got 1/2 off a couple of weeks ago even though it was planting in mud it felt good.
se_eds
Millersburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

January 2, 2005
12:35 AM

Post #1216621

63 degrees, sunny skies with balmy breezes in Pa. on Jan 1 - broke a record. It was lovely. Sat on the porch and watched the birds.

We have had less than an inch of snow so far this winter but sometimes we get some doozies in Jan and Feb.

Happy New Year to one and All!
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

January 2, 2005
1:21 AM

Post #1216691

53.4, 80%, - Chili in the crock pot & cornbread in the oven, happpy new years to all.
salvia_lover
Modi'in
Israel

January 3, 2005
7:49 AM

Post #1218598

We've had so much rain that I've got moss growing in some of my shadier beds! ACK!Lots of rain and clay soil just aren't a good combination. But sandy soil here in summer just causes us to waste a lot of water (which this country really can't afford to do). I think when summer comes around I'll try to find some way to make a run-off system to keep the extra water out of the shadier beds. dunno exactly what I'll do, but I'll figure out something. I can't lift the beds though because of the trees growing in them...oh well.

It's nearly 11am here and a rainy 14C (57F). I'm afraid to go out and see what the hours and hours of torrential rains did to my already water logged beds...

-Julie
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

January 3, 2005
11:39 AM

Post #1218657

43, 94%,overcast
BloomsWithaView
Moab, UT
(Zone 6b)

January 3, 2005
5:10 PM

Post #1219103

It's eleven here and the sun is beginning to peek thru the cloudiness - temps have risen to 50* and they promise us some kind of moisture by nightfall. We could use it. It seems to all fall in the Sierras and the clouds are dry by the time they cross Nevada and Utah [we sit almost on the border with Colorado].
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

January 4, 2005
12:21 AM

Post #1219739

We had hail today! Hail is rare here and this is the most I have ever seen. (The house is the house across the street.)

Thumbnail by Kelli
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

January 4, 2005
12:22 AM

Post #1219743

More hail. This looks downright Christmassy.

Thumbnail by Kelli

BloomsWithaView
Moab, UT
(Zone 6b)

January 4, 2005
3:23 AM

Post #1220090

Hey Kelli, I heard they even had to close 5 outta LA
Forgot to say those are great shots, liked the second with the ice in the air.

This message was edited Jan 3, 2005 9:24 PM
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

January 4, 2005
3:31 AM

Post #1220100

The 5 over the mountains (~4000 ft. elevation) has been closed all day. It happens several times every winter.
jcangemi
Clovis, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 4, 2005
4:25 AM

Post #1220168

Kelli. . .Thanks for sharing pics. . .we very occasionally get that much hail, where it looks like snow. . .but it's been awhile. Need to call MIL in Granada Hills and see if her yard looked like yours. We're getting buckets of rain up here. . . wish more of it could soak in, but ground is very saturated and alot of it is running off in the storm drains. It will get a chance to soak in more in the ponding basins which are all over our area, since we are a watershed area at the base of the Sierras. Had small stream advisories this last night and this am from heavy rain in foothills.

I-5 closure still in effect, not sure when that major artery will reopen. Per Caltrans:

I-5 [LOS ANGELES & VENTURA CO'S]
IS CLOSED FROM 4 MI NORTH OF THE JCT OF SR 126 /LAKE HUGHES RD/
(LOS ANGELES CO) TO 25 MI SOUTH OF BAKERSFIELD /LAVAL RD/ (KERN CO)
/GRAPEVINE AREA/ - DUE TO SNOW - MOTORISTS ARE ADVISED TO USE AN ALTERNATE
ROUTE
BloomsWithaView
Moab, UT
(Zone 6b)

January 4, 2005
4:49 AM

Post #1220178

Don't cha just love it when they say use alternate route and there really aren't alternates? Tho I guess if 58/14 was open thru Lancaster you could do that.
jcangemi
Clovis, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 4, 2005
5:14 AM

Post #1220188

The other way is US101 along the coast, which is a pretty drive, but could be tricky as well in bad weather. You get lots of ocean views til you get north of Santa Barbara a ways and then it heads inland for awhile. Takes a little longer, but we occasionally go that way just for change of scenery and to catch a jazz show in a venue we enjoy in Cambria. Know what you mean tho. . .LOL blooms.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

January 4, 2005
3:34 PM

Post #1220824

Kelli, loved your second shot where the hail in the air really shows!
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

January 4, 2005
3:37 PM

Post #1220829

The 5 is still closed. One time we were coming back from Sequoia and the 5 and the 58 were closed so we had to go out to the 101 and come back down the coast. It took three hours longer than normal going that way.

There is still hail laying in the grass and on the roofs. I've never seen hail last more than maybe half an hour, but I don't think I've ever seen hail in the winter before.

Thumbnail by Kelli

salvia_lover
Modi'in
Israel

January 4, 2005
4:24 PM

Post #1220902

Kelli, it looks like you scattered those little white styrofoam balls that you find in potting soil LOL. Either that or overcooked couscous LOL

-Julie
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

January 4, 2005
4:48 PM

Post #1220946

It reminded me of tapioca.
salvia_lover
Modi'in
Israel

January 4, 2005
6:27 PM

Post #1221122

yeah that too LOL :-)
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

January 4, 2005
7:32 PM

Post #1221205

I talked to a woman down the street and she said that there was no hail two streets over to the east and to the west.
Jos
southwestern, IA
(Zone 5a)

January 4, 2005
9:15 PM

Post #1221331

Its finally winter in Iowa...its been cold for a while but no real precip to speak of until yesterday.

Where do I start? lol
Sunday night approx 11:pm freezing rain started and continued off and on until this morning around 6:am. Monday's drive to work was downright ugly! About noon today freezing rain started again, turning to sleet around 2:pm. It is now snowing just after 4:pm. This is what the local news has listed for the "fun" to come:

Heavy snow is expected tonight with a break in the snow intensity around sunrise. Another round of heavy snow is likely Wednesday afternoon. This will be a significant snow for the Omaha metro area with 12-15" expected by Wednesday night.

Im not looking forward to it but hey at least I can wear jeans to work!
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

January 4, 2005
9:54 PM

Post #1221385

**with 12-15" expected by Wednesday night**

Yikes!!!
Jos
southwestern, IA
(Zone 5a)

January 4, 2005
10:06 PM

Post #1221404

LOL
Yes it seems extreme to people who are not used to this type of winter, but Im good with it being January and the "weather" just now really hitting us. This is the reason I have 4 wheel drive! I just take it in stride and hope to make it through the worst with our vehicles unscathed. Plus I am hoping to get some great photos!
jcangemi
Clovis, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 5, 2005
12:49 AM

Post #1221652

Jos. . .bet there was some slippin and slidn in that first onslaught. Never ceases to amaze me here, when we get the first storms, people still zip around like it's 80 degrees outside, instead of the roads being slippery, like driving on glass. Hold my breath every time I have to be out there. Sounds like you've got it under control somewhat w/ the 4 wheel drive. . . it's just everybody else you've got to look out for. Take care!

Kelli. . .the paper had a pic of trucks stalled up at Tejon Pass and said 2' of snow had fallen. The CalTrans report is showing no restrictions on I-5 now thru the whole state. Guess they got it clear enough to get through.

We had a respite from the rain today. . still cloudy and kind of dreary. More rain on the way in the next few days. At least there was a break for some of the water ponded up to soak in a little.
se_eds
Millersburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

January 5, 2005
2:10 AM

Post #1221772

Jos, it sounds like you're finally getting winter. It was 45 here today and we had only an inch of snow last December. Highly unusual for Pa. I did get winter storm watches from Emegency email today telling us to expect up to 2 inches of sleet and freezing rain for tomorrow into Thursday. But Hey! it's winter time.

Stay safe. I retired last year and don't have to go out in it. May go out and run the snow blower to "play" in it.
roseone33
Southern Mountains, GA
(Zone 6b)

January 5, 2005
12:04 PM

Post #1222159

43' here this morning, overcast, forecast predicts a high of 67', 30% chance of rain tomorrow.
sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 5, 2005
12:06 PM

Post #1222161

Howdy from our nations capital. It has been wonderful weather here for the last few days. I won't be specific because of the political "thing", but saw the 109th Congress sworn in yesterday. We're on a bus, so photos are not good thru the windows.
Going to the White House this morning and will photograph gardens there if they permit.
Ithink we will have good weather today also and will be back in Jacksonville tomorrow morning.
God is good all the time.
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

January 5, 2005
3:42 PM

Post #1222409

67.1, 71% sunny, nice
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

January 5, 2005
4:15 PM

Post #1222441

38 degrees early this morning. Cloudy. Supposed to rain again tomorrow.
imway2dumb
Gordonville, TX
(Zone 7b)

January 5, 2005
6:40 PM

Post #1222762

Helloo, helloo. Been having problems with my ISP. Its a roller coaster, weather wise here. Way above average for a few days then way below average for another few days. Temps dropping since early am. We have flood watch, flash flood watch and a freezing rain advisory all at the same time today!! Current temp is 31 and rain. Suppose to be in the teens by manana. It was 70 a couple days ago!!!

Great fotos Kelli! I heard that all passes accross the Sierras had been closed recently.

Janet, thanks for that fire ant link!

John

Happy New Year everyone!!!
salvia_lover
Modi'in
Israel

January 5, 2005
7:01 PM

Post #1222794

Yeah tell me about it John! The weather here can't make up it's mind either...from one minute to the next!

Went in this morning to get my stitches out. Clear blue gorgeous sky. Not a cloud in sight. I thought "this is going to be a lovely day and maybe my poor saturated garden can get some relief and I won't lose too many plants to drowning".

Not even 10 MINUTES later, I came out of the clinic building after getting the stitches out and the entire sky was completely black with storm clouds! In less that TEN MINUTES! ACK! So much for my poor garden. We had pounding rain, hail, wind, lightning, thunder, and all that again all day...and it's still spitting outside to one degree or another. grrrrrrrrrrr!

-Julie

Here's a pic of what one of my poor beds looked like at noon today. I have no idea how the others faired as this was the only one I could get a shot of without getting drenched.

Thumbnail by salvia_lover

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

January 5, 2005
7:08 PM

Post #1222815

That looks about like how our yard looked earlier this week.

Thumbnail by Kelli

salvia_lover
Modi'in
Israel

January 5, 2005
7:11 PM

Post #1222821

Nope, Kelli, I will immediately cease and desist all complaining about my waterlogged garden. Mine is nowhere near as drowned as your poor garden! YIKES! I hope all that water isn't backed up against your foundation as it appears to be in the photo. I HOPE I'm wrong about that. ugh! I hope your garden doesn't fair too poorly from all the excess water...nor your house either!

-Julie
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

January 5, 2005
7:16 PM

Post #1222841

After it stopped raining, the water drained away fairly quickly. We don't have a basement, so there can be no flooding there, and the water would overflow the sidewalk and run down the hill before it could get in on the first floor.
Hostanquilts
Tremont, IL
(Zone 5b)

January 5, 2005
8:00 PM

Post #1222904

We are having freezing rain here today. I took pictures of a bell mounted on a post outside our house. It looks real neat.

Thumbnail by Hostanquilts

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

January 5, 2005
8:14 PM

Post #1222927

Kelli, is the flower to the far left of your photo an epi, or a christmas cactus? If it's an epi, may I get a cutting?

Jan, I love how ice looks on things... as long as I don't have to try to walk or drive on it!
imway2dumb
Gordonville, TX
(Zone 7b)

January 5, 2005
8:30 PM

Post #1222962

Its 27 and raining but, all objects are way too warm still for any ice to form. That will soon change I'm sure.
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

January 5, 2005
10:09 PM

Post #1223102

Darius, the flower on the far left is a Christmas cactus.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

January 5, 2005
10:46 PM

Post #1223157

Thanks. I thought it might be but wasn't certain.
jcangemi
Clovis, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 5, 2005
11:14 PM

Post #1223190

The sun's our here today, temps in the 50's and it's drying out a little, just in time to get soaked again by the next storm system on its way.

John. . .very good to see you back on line. Hwys. 80 and 50 over the Sierras are open today. But who knows tomorrow or the next few days. More storms on the way. Hwy. 120 (Tioga Pass) is closed for the winter.
imway2dumb
Gordonville, TX
(Zone 7b)

January 6, 2005
4:10 AM

Post #1223588

Hi, Janet. Yeah Tioga Pass usually is. I used to live in the Feather River Canyon years ago and it rarely closed but, heard it did several days ago. Before the Interstate Highway era they tried to keep it open at all costs as it was the highway of last resort over the mountains back in the "olden" days. Used to be known as Alternate 40 back then. Boy, that dates me!!
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

January 6, 2005
4:12 AM

Post #1223589

55.2, 81%, Clear - Salvia, is there any way, any way at all to design a drainage/pond system to retain some of your excess water for the dry spells? Just an Idea, - Dyson
imway2dumb
Gordonville, TX
(Zone 7b)

January 6, 2005
4:19 AM

Post #1223599

If I remember right the idea of cisterns originated in that area!
salvia_lover
Modi'in
Israel

January 6, 2005
10:15 AM

Post #1223718

Dyson, I've thought and thought about it, but I can't figure out how. I need someone who's handier than I am (or my DH especially! LOL) to figure that one for me. I think it would be great if there were a big collection tank under every single garden here in Israel. Then that water could be used in the dry season until it was used up...and only then would the general water supplu have to be tapped for the gardens. But nobody asked me, so I guess it doesn't matter what I think LOL.

-Julie
patischell
Fort Pierce, FL
(Zone 10a)

January 6, 2005
12:00 PM

Post #1223773

I'm no good at finding posts, but I think I remember a discussion with DINU in India about cisterns.
Pati
salvia_lover
Modi'in
Israel

January 6, 2005
12:21 PM

Post #1223785

Kelli, can we get a closer view of that lemon? tree in the background? It looks like a huge lemon BUSH! WOW!

-Julie

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

January 6, 2005
3:36 PM

Post #1224045

Here's the thread, "Rainwater Harvesting" http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/420156/
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

January 6, 2005
4:38 PM

Post #1224117

Julie, it's a grapefruit tree. The fruits turn more pink when it is ripe, but I will take a picture an post it later today or tomorrow. I need to turn off the computer now so I can get some real work done. I will attempt to plant some lettuce and peas before it starts to rain again.
patischell
Fort Pierce, FL
(Zone 10a)

January 6, 2005
5:12 PM

Post #1224169

Thanks Darius.
Pati
salvia_lover
Modi'in
Israel

January 6, 2005

Post #1224310

Kelli, I've got lots of citrus trees too: lemon, lime, limquat, clemantine, kumquat (not technically citrus) and a pink grapefruit tree. All of them are 5 years old, but the pink grapefruit looks only about 2-3 years old because I almost killed it when we first put it in the ground...it took a long time for it to recover from being nearly drowned with excess water run off from the veggie patch. LOL. But now it's growing like a champ. If it ends up looking like yours I'll be so so so happy! :-)

-Julie
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

January 8, 2005
6:19 AM

Post #1227458

44.1, raining
sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 8, 2005
12:48 PM

Post #1227613

Kept the AC fan on all night, going to be a damp 80 here today, and close to that for the next week.
I am so lucky to be here as this was not all that far from my path last Thursday early morning.
http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/477197/.
I suggest you all read the post I just left there.
On a lighter note here is something I just planted on some of my secret dirt. (And yes, I did run a sprinkler out there.)

Thumbnail by sugarweed

jcangemi
Clovis, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 8, 2005
3:43 PM

Post #1227840

Sugarweed. . .I read about this in the paper this AM and thought about several DG'rs in that area. What a terrible tragedy. Glad you can plant your flowers. .. in a month or two they'll be gorgeous. Way too wet to plant here, have snap peas and other veggies to put in, but the ground is saturated. Still raining off and on today, but the wind finally calmed down. My daughter's patio umbrella and chairs we in her pool when she came home yesterday. Power was out to thousands of customers and alot of trees blown over because of ground saturation. Still, it's nothing compared to the devastation in Asia. This caught my eye in our paper this AM. . .

http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2004-12/osu-ctp122704.php
salvia_lover
Modi'in
Israel

January 8, 2005
3:48 PM

Post #1227851

Janet, I'm really sorry your garden is getting a beating from the winds. But WOW! what an incredible shot you got there! SOOOOOOO cool! Thank you for sharing it :-)

Sugarweed, are those all snapdragons? That will be lovely in a few months when it's all filled in. But what do you mean by "secret dirt"? I'm very curious :-)

-Julie
sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 8, 2005
6:26 PM

Post #1228075

Julie, !8 White Petunias, 18 violas, and 18 coral red snaps. I'm going to "spray and grow" those, and "messenger" them, hope to start coloring up by Superbowl XXXIX, Feb.6th. I will also add some pretty cedar or cypress mulch shortly and a nice edge across the street edge.
Secret dirt is dirt you feel free to plant on, even though it's not yours. This along with the other 18' all across my front yard actually belongs to the state of Florida. In return part of my property is the existing alley drive used by many. I also plan on planting the far side of the alley fences with Clemantis and Roses. It's a bonus to everybody. Eye candy from my yard and improves the property value all the way around.
Secret dirt comes as an answer to those who think we have more flowers, plants, etc than we have room to plant. When my critics say "Where you gonna plant THAT?"
I reply "I have secret dirt."
I got this idea from another DGer. I've been planting like this for years here and there, just didn't know what to call my "plots". LOL Sidney
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

January 8, 2005
8:07 PM

Post #1228226

Rain, rain, rain, rain, rain, rain, rain, rain, rain, rain, rain, rain, rain, rain, rain, rain, rain, rain, rain, rain, rain, rain, rain, rain, rain, rain, rain, rain, rain, rain, rain, rain, rain, rain, rain, rain, rain, rain, rain, rain, rain, rain, rain, rain, rain, rain, rain, rain, rain, rain, rain, rain,rain, rain, rain, rain, rain, rain, rain, rain, rain, rain, rain, rain, rain, rain, rain, rain, rain,rain, rain, rain, rain, rain, rain, rain, rain, rain, rain, rain, rain, rain, rain, rain, rain, rain, and rain.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

January 8, 2005
8:10 PM

Post #1228230

LOL, but I'm sure it's NOT funny to you... I was merely commenting on your post!
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

January 8, 2005
9:48 PM

Post #1228378

Could be worse. At least it's still zone 10.
sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 8, 2005

Post #1228404

Dreary,sweat,dreary sweat, lol,lol
salvia_lover
Modi'in
Israel

January 8, 2005
10:12 PM

Post #1228409

We had a fantastic day today (well, now it's after 1 in the morning, so I guess I should yesterday LOL). Sunny and 60F for us all day until the sun started to set. Now we've got very strong winds, so it seems yet another storm system is brewing. We'll see what tomorrow (ehem...the morning) brings.

Night all!

-Julie
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

January 8, 2005
11:58 PM

Post #1228556

45, 66%, it was a nice sunny day.
sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 9, 2005
11:38 AM

Post #1229224

64* and expect to turn on AC for an hour or two today.
That is why I moved here after all. I am tired of being cold, but also had to trade off growing some of my favorites that like being cold. lol
God is good All the time.
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

January 9, 2005
1:05 PM

Post #1229330

37 up from 33 sunny
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

January 9, 2005
4:51 PM

Post #1229578

A picture is worth a thousand words.

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

January 9, 2005
4:54 PM

Post #1229587

I guess I won't be needing to water the plants under the porch roof this week.

We have gotten about 18 inches of rain over the past 12 days. Think on that as you consider that more often than not, we don't get 18 inches for an entire year. So far the water has stayed out of the house (knock on wood!) but we can't keep the ants out and don't know where they are getting in. :-(

Thumbnail by Kelli

frogsrus
San Diego, CA
(Zone 10a)

January 9, 2005
6:09 PM

Post #1229707

Everywhere!! as near as I an tell. I have even sprayed in the switch panels again. Oh my Kelli, we have only had 11" season to date, 2.5" since Jan 1. You look like you are about to float away. The cactus garden seems to e enjoying its drink though.
salvia_lover
Modi'in
Israel

January 9, 2005
6:48 PM

Post #1229776

Kelli, what a lovely cactus and succulent collection you have! IT's a good thing you put out yoru rain barrel...wouldn't want the garden to dry out! LOL WOW! What a L-O-T of water! Sorry about the ants. I'm sure they are just as annoying as the flood you have in your garden...probably more so. Dry weather thoughts coming your way...

-Julie
sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 9, 2005
7:35 PM

Post #1229837

Row. row, row your boat, what a wet place you are in. I hope your cactus collection doesn't drown. It is just spectacular. Hope your rain stops soon. the Jet stream is doing a weird dip if you ask me.
Today highs in 80's, next week 50's, Sidney
BloomsWithaView
Moab, UT
(Zone 6b)

January 9, 2005

Post #1230203

Poor little tiny ants trying to get in outta the water. LOL

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

January 10, 2005
12:18 AM

Post #1230230

Can you blame them?
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

January 10, 2005
4:14 PM

Post #1231200

No, but they could stay in the space between the inside and outside walls. I wouldn't know they are there and then we'd both be happy.
sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 10, 2005
4:25 PM

Post #1231215

Are things any better today? It's just cloudy here. and 70* right now.
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

January 10, 2005
5:57 PM

Post #1231359

63, 51% sunny & nice
sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 10, 2005
8:50 PM

Post #1231616

Yeah Dyson, that warm and sunny.
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

January 11, 2005
5:41 AM

Post #1232278

43.7 , 74%, supposed to get cold again this weekend - we will see what the weather brings, prayers for those in areas (earthquake etc.) where nature has caused hardships. And also man made desasters (the train in SC).
sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 11, 2005
10:13 AM

Post #1232394

Around 60*,foggy
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

January 12, 2005
3:47 AM

Post #1233812

50.0, 84%, nice for this time of evening.
salvia_lover
Modi'in
Israel

January 12, 2005
7:42 AM

Post #1233915

I hope all of you are safe and none of you have family or friends in La Conchita! All of you in S. Cal, stay safe and dry and PLEASE go to drier ground if you are in an area at risk for slides!

Finally 2 whole days of dry here (well aside from a few minutes of sprinkling last night that didn't amount to anything). So far it seems my only damage from all the rain is some unhappy Kalanchoes (that look like they have a chance of bouncing back) and a succulent that got knocked over by a cat trying to jump over our succulent wall LOL. But the plant looked undamaged and I just potted it back up. Sunny today and 17C (62 1/2 F) here at 10:48 a.m.

-Julie
sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 13, 2005
3:11 PM

Post #1235881

Well, we've had this just gorgeous weather here and it's going to cool off to low 40s at night, 60 days. You would think it was going to be freezing to hear the weather people. LOL.
Planting something every day. Hope Kelli's still hanging in and not slid away.
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

January 13, 2005
4:20 PM

Post #1235961

67, 72% cloudy but comfortable
hanna1
Castro Valley, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 14, 2005
12:25 AM

Post #1236730

Just stopped raining, Yeppie!!!!! Rained for 2 weeks, but nothing like down South, Hope everyone's gardens are ok now, what beautiful photos of the Hail coming down, the Bell photo was gorgeous too. Those poor and beautiful Cactus and Succulents, hope they fare well. Yesterday at 7:30AM 35F, car completely frozen all over, couldn't drive it right away, wonder what it was like overnight! 52F in afternoon, this morning 7:30AM 37F, 48F in Berkeley at 2:30PM, up by the UCB Botanical Gardens felt like 35F and probably was, LOL, Sugar, are you bragging again, LOL, Annie
berrygirl
Braselton, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 14, 2005
1:50 AM

Post #1236864

I've been bragging abut our three-week warm spell here in Ga. and all the gardening I've been able to do but...alas it's almost over!!!

It's raining here today, and thank the Lord for it, as I won't have to water all my recently set out roses, etc... By this w/e it's back to normal temps for us- highs only in the forties. We'll freeze to death after 3 weeks of 60's and 70's!!

But I am sure you good folks in REALLY cold and/or snow areas do wish I'd just shut up- LOL!!
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

January 14, 2005
6:56 AM

Post #1237208

57.9, 94%, rain & thunderstorm
peterson89
El Cajon, CA
(Zone 10a)

January 14, 2005
7:38 AM

Post #1237230

Have just found you and lost you again John..how ya doin Gracie :)
sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 14, 2005
12:12 PM

Post #1237312

Gracie, glad you are okay, no word from John in days. Me thinks his Puter has flu. I am concerned about all those on the other edge of the US and the Mudslides.
62 and raining.
roseone33
Southern Mountains, GA
(Zone 6b)

January 14, 2005
12:21 PM

Post #1237317

35' here at 7:45 and cloudy, very windy.
patischell
Fort Pierce, FL
(Zone 10a)

January 14, 2005
12:52 PM

Post #1237331

It stayed at 75 all night! I'm watching the weather channel now and the rain coming in from the west coast of FL is huge.

Sugar, are you in the bad storms?
Pati
sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 14, 2005
3:13 PM

Post #1237531

No, Ms Pati
It's drizzelin, but still warm. I have two climbing roses to plant across the alley so they can get establiished good.
Fellow stopped to chat about planting roses.
Said "Mother always said you don't put a $10. rose in a $5. hole." he said that he was doing the digging of course, and that after he dug the hole, she had old leather shoes she put in the hole before the center mound was built to spread the roots over.
He inherited her home and loves that rose. He even knew it's name.
I lived in or around red clay for the last 30 years, so a rose hole WAS a chore. I do try to make them comfortable, but this is very rich undug for 20 years alley way. I just loosen it up make my mound and plant. I then re-mulch with all the leaves laying about. I've done 4 crepe myrtles and 3 roses this way. Spring will really surprise some folks.
Sidney
hanna1
Castro Valley, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 14, 2005
6:17 PM

Post #1237792

Sugar you sure have been busy Gal!!!!! Good for you!
Dang it, 35F again this AM at 7:30, car frozen again, had hard time opening the door, now 48F, humidity 74%, wind chill 43F, partly cloudy, tonight back to mid 30's, burrrrrrr
peterson89
El Cajon, CA
(Zone 10a)

January 14, 2005
7:58 PM

Post #1237924

Hi sugarweed things going o'k..how are you? sounds like rain is heading to Fla, today and most of this week is dry here and sunny but oh so cold..we are having frost again at night so chilly willy weather..

If you have any bananas put the skins in those holes before planting..great for the roses...you can also dry them in microwave first and use them..

Me thinks that John got under those covers and he is still there :() got into the habit of hiding out..LOL,
keep dry everyone..this weather is something else..gets worse everytime we watch the news...Hope the rain is behavin out there beside you Pati, do you live far from Sidney ?
patischell
Fort Pierce, FL
(Zone 10a)

January 14, 2005
8:23 PM

Post #1237960

I live about 225 miles south, although sometimes it seems like we live in different countries *smile*. Florida has such diverse weather that even my daughter in Bartow, which is about 100 miles WNW has an entirely different climate than I do. I live on the coast, she lives "inland". And yes, the rain has arrived!!!!
Pati
peterson89
El Cajon, CA
(Zone 10a)

January 14, 2005
9:07 PM

Post #1238038

We lived in Jacksonville Fla for about 3 yrs Pati, so could not understand why Sidney had it so cool until she explained..

I just remember it being very hot and humid..we loved the west coast of Fla but hubby had his job in Jax so we couldn't move...just remember the lovely warm breezes on the west coast coming from the gulf I guess..and it was so different.
Could notget anything more different here in So.Calif..mountains, high desert, low desert, ocean and each climate completely different..we get all the heat living inland..the coast gets the fog..
however, with that Tsunami, all thoughts are back on our beach areas.. we have been hearing for years that we will have beachfront property one of these days where we live..horrible thought..but the plates under the ocean keep moving.. :((

We will not go there, may take a thousand years or longer..hope everyone can stay safe and as dry as possible without the damage and devastation that has beeen already done... marion
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

January 15, 2005
11:41 PM

Post #1239883

Julie, here is a picture of our grapefruit tree. It's not that great of a picture but I've yet to take a decent picture of our trees. I don't know if it is because the are so shapeless or blend into the background, or what. But here it is. We'll have had this tree 8 years come early summer. The first couple years we had to give it a lot of iron but it seems to have gotten over the chlorosis problem now.

Thumbnail by Kelli

sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 16, 2005
3:47 AM

Post #1240210

Kelli
I hope that's how it looks today, Yum.
It's high of 55* and low 45*, gray and breezy. Heaters all going.
hanna1
Castro Valley, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 16, 2005
4:23 AM

Post #1240306

Kelli, I'm coming down to see ya for lemonade!! Sugar, Heaters on??? What happened to your great weather, good think you got the planting done! Annie
sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 16, 2005
5:02 AM

Post #1240408

NOT, lol, still got some to get well planted, I run from a chill now, lol.
I always have something else to plant.
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

January 16, 2005
7:01 AM

Post #1240576

29.1, 56%, been cool & damp here.
salvia_lover
Modi'in
Israel

January 16, 2005
8:56 AM

Post #1240642

Kelli thanks for the pic. :-) What a fun tree! Did you prune it to droop to the ground like that or did it grow that way naturally?
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

January 16, 2005
6:15 PM

Post #1241336

The tree naturally grows that way. I think that commercial growers prune their trees to keep the branches off of the ground, and DH trimmed ours a little last year, but it's back to its old ways again.

Hanna1, I would gladly give you half a bushel of lemons. We have more than you can shake a stick at. I'm on a diet, so lemonade with sugar is out, and lemonade made with artificial sweetener tastes weird. I told DH to take some lemons to work to give away but he hasn't done it yet.
sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 16, 2005
6:58 PM

Post #1241414

Kelli, even splenda?
Mother recommended Grapefruit to "shrink" your stomach, thus eating less.
Usually the citrus trees here bend to the ground too when the fruit gets heavy, some prop up limbs with lengths of 2 x 4s.
I gave up bread, sweets, and salt 25 years ago. Completely relearning how to eat.
I still stay on a diet, but its just a relearned habit instead.
You can return to the "pine-cone" size, I believe in you.
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

January 16, 2005
7:21 PM

Post #1241462

Even Splenda lemonade tastes strange, IMO.

The grapefruits won't be ripe for a while yet. CA winters are cooler than FL winters, so it takes our citrus longer to ripen. (How can zone 10a be cooler than zone 8b? Our average low is higher than yours, but your winter daytime high is usually higher than ours, I think.)

Pine cone size - I can't believe anyone remembered that. LOL!
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

January 16, 2005
8:13 PM

Post #1241580

42.1, 41% sunny, a big snowstorm two counties to the west.
peterson89
El Cajon, CA
(Zone 10a)

January 17, 2005
7:34 AM

Post #1242342

Back to incredible weather here..80 degrees today, sunny, warm, clear and gorgeous..what a change from last weekend..this coming week looks gogeous too and warmer..just what the doctor ordered..sigh !!!
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

January 17, 2005
9:44 AM

Post #1242401

ok rub it in ... it's 20.1 here now ... the water is frozen up & we are on emergency heat (I can see the electric meter spinning in my mind). Winter here is the pitts.
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

January 17, 2005
4:40 PM

Post #1242891

They're calling for it to be in the 80s all this week. Already today it is 67F in the shade. I think I'll change clothes and put on shorts when I'm done here.
se_eds
Millersburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

January 17, 2005
5:23 PM

Post #1242976

Central Pa. - 21 degrees, 30 MPH wind and an inch sprinkle of snow. Brrr. BUT Sunshine, beautiful sunshine!
kareoke
Greensburg, IN
(Zone 6a)

January 17, 2005
5:51 PM

Post #1243016

kelli you lucky gal, we have snow AGAIN and the temp is 3 degrees
salvia_lover
Modi'in
Israel

January 17, 2005
6:16 PM

Post #1243063

Today was lovely...15C (59F). But the kids and I are indoors sick so we couldn't enjoy the weather. Bummer. Oh well.

-Julie
peterson89
El Cajon, CA
(Zone 10a)

January 17, 2005

Post #1243070

SORRY DYSON, did not mean to 'rub it in' [grin] but we are spoiled and need our heat and sunshine here, otherwise we get upset...:)
..BUT come summertime I would rather be someplace else especially when it is well over l00 degrees, very hot very dry and there are around a million people all trying to drive on the same freeway altogether.. :((((
Summertime here is the pits, I relish the fall and in particular our wonderful springtime..

bye the bye anyone having an early bloom on their fruit trees ?..noticed a couple of weeks ago the peach and nectarine is about to blossom [fat buds] and our white sapote is covered in tiny fruit so hoping we do not have late frosts or any bad storms..which we had last year [late storms]..had so much overnight frost in November I think the trees have been fooled into having early winter..now they think it is spring...
Jos
southwestern, IA
(Zone 5a)

January 17, 2005
9:33 PM

Post #1243357

Well its been a while since I stopped in this forum but I thought you might like my weather today.

Went to work at 6:30am it was -5 F with windchills around -20
Left work at 3:30pm it was 17 F...whoo hoo heat wave
My fingers are almost thawed enough to type. lol
It has been quite cold this winter compared to recent years but oh well what do you do.
sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 17, 2005
10:41 PM

Post #1243442

Well, I send hugs, that's about it. Sidney
peterson89
El Cajon, CA
(Zone 10a)

January 17, 2005
11:30 PM

Post #1243506

We spent one winter in Quebec city, Canada, I rememer it being so cold that my jaw froze and Icouldn't feel it..that was over 40 yrs ago [never went back] and the only snow we see now- a-days is if we drive up into the mountains here, have a quick look, then drive back down again...I really feel for you guys, you have my condolences, I still remember what real cold feels like.. [but this is why we are so overcrowded in San Diego and southern Calif]..
patischell
Fort Pierce, FL
(Zone 10a)

January 18, 2005
12:10 PM

Post #1244138

We get the same crowd in South Florida too. *grin* I'm afraid they're dissapointed this morning though, it's 40, 75% and windy. Not beach weather, even for the "snowbirds"
Pati
sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 18, 2005
12:15 PM

Post #1244139

My tt tteeeth arre cchhatterrin here, too pati.
It warmed up to ZERO in the NNW, so I'll shut-up.
Sidney
patischell
Fort Pierce, FL
(Zone 10a)

January 18, 2005
1:35 PM

Post #1244214

Hang in there Sugar!!! It's warmed up to 53 now, so I'm going to take the Doxies out in the yard. That is, if I can pry them out from under their "fuzzy" blankets! TomKitty has given up his morning patrol after venturing out for about 10 minutes. Looks like he has settled on my bed for a "long winters nap". *sigh*, We are all so spoiled by living in paradise! LOL
Pati
salvia_lover
Modi'in
Israel

January 18, 2005
1:39 PM

Post #1244217

Pati, tell me about it! My big baby golden retriever with her thick winter coat looks like we're subjecting her to cruel and unusual punishment by making her go out to do her "business" when there are (gasp!) 5 drops of raining speckling the entire patio surface! LOL SUCH a baby!

-Julie
sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 18, 2005
6:25 PM

Post #1244860

Mother had a doxie that I had to take in when he was 19.
He was like another child to us.
He had his own easy chair and wanted his fuzzy blanket folded just so-so. He prefered to be "tucked in".
Sunny, 40something.
Ashley's re-building the whole yard. He is very good at it.
Sidney
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

January 18, 2005
6:32 PM

Post #1244871

75F, sunny, and windy
se_eds
Millersburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

January 19, 2005
12:39 AM

Post #1245449

8 degrees when I checked on the porch at 6 AM - 8 degrees again tonight. We are blessed with no wind and the sun was shining today. The pictures on TV from our three neighboring states(Ohio, Ill. Indiana) make me shudder. Hope the cold lets up for them and the water goes away.
Abbyflower
Big Bear City, CA

January 19, 2005
12:46 AM

Post #1245459

Sad to say that the constant rain here in the mountains washed away the road down to my cabin. That sucker is GONE!... Cal-trans pics confirmed that.

I'm not going to be able take the 1/2 hour route now... now it's the 3 hour route to go all around the mountain and then up the Cajon Pass into Victorville to end up back at the base of the Mountain in Lucerne...

god am I feeling sorry for myself or what... But... I figure there must be a reason... I've always found that there is in the long run...

I guess this means I better save my money hun!

By Jove,,, I new there was a reason!

Abby

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

January 19, 2005
1:54 AM

Post #1245573

The ROAD is gone, or your CABIN is gone?

A BIG welcome to DG despite your current hardship.
hanna1
Castro Valley, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 19, 2005
2:22 AM

Post #1245620

45F and feels like 35F, 89% humidity, wind chill 41F, tonight 30's-40's!
I just transplanted 51 Cactus & Succulents since yesterday, now I'm worried there will be too much moisture and they could freeze! 110 to go, LOL, but I feel sorry for the ones around 0F and that's for sure, just glad We might go to the snow, and be home same day in our cozy bed!!!! Our 10 month old Golden likes the rain, he tries to bite at it, silly puppy, Annie
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

January 19, 2005
5:57 AM

Post #1245835

Been away sooo long ... when the water froze up so did the broadband connection, whent reall dead, finnally after two days without, bit the bullett, installed a used modem I had sitting around - had to get back on-line. 13, 56% supposed to get near 40 tomarrow, maybe I can get the water going then. & Next a visit to the Cable Co. (I have a few choice words about their recordings). - Dyson
salvia_lover
Modi'in
Israel

January 19, 2005
7:10 AM

Post #1245884

Abby I'm sorry to hear about the road. I'm hoping your cabin is still fine though!

Annie, your golden knows what kind of dog he is! My golden thinks she's a human. SUCH a baby! Have I mentioned this before? ;-) LOL And she's psycho too! Completely and totally afraid of shadows! Very strange dog...and getting more and more weird as she gets older. She's only 8 years old now (56 in dog years), but you'd think she was 90 years old and completely senile the way she will maneuver to avoid "touching" a shadow...or to come near one of the kids' toys on the floor. (rolling my eyes)... But she's sweet nonetheless :-)

-Julie
sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 19, 2005
12:18 PM

Post #1245989

Dyson, were you suffering DC withdrawal? That is so distressing to hear about your frozen perill..

Abby, You will certainly get a new scenic route to travel. I got a great bunch of ideas on a detour.

Goldens are about the best, if you've got the room. I just love em! I think the shadow thing is ROF. Henry, thinks all toys are his, and we have a hard time convencing him otherwise.
Didn't freeze again last night, Better safe than sorry. so babies were covered.
39* Sunny, up to 50 today.
Abbyflower
Big Bear City, CA

January 20, 2005
3:20 AM

Post #1247493

Oh thanks so much for listening to my drizzle... I am OK and the Cabin is OK,,, well as far as the cabin can be ok... it's still standing (has been all by it 's lonesome for 20 years believe it or not... that the greatness of the High Desert) but the wooden part of the roof I put on is still there. YEA! That was a day and a halfs wages and a day and a halfs labor.

Goldens are so special... I went to pick up a puppy and asked the man for a Golden Retriever... when he brought one out, I said no it has short hair... he brought me out a Yellow Lab. That was my baby. We here that ever knew her have never forgotten her.

It was so nice here today... I wish I could have shared it with all of you... especially you Julie...and your shadow lover... what's her name?

Abby
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

January 20, 2005
5:57 AM

Post #1247634

33.1 , 63% , the good news - we have water, the bad news - we have water because the cats dissconnected the heat duct under the house again, so we have no heat. Sometimes you can't win. So I'll take a shower while I can and then reattach the duct. At least my broadband connection is back :)
peterson89
El Cajon, CA
(Zone 10a)

January 20, 2005
8:51 AM

Post #1247663

I forgot about the lovely winter vacation we spent in Big Bear, several years ago, rented a cabin,it was lovely..
Was 87* here yesterday and we are having this lovely weather right thru the weekend..maybe more rain after that..

We have 2 chihuahuas [one teacup.. spoiled rotten] and they both cuddle under their blankets too, its funny when all you see are the blankets moving around and then when the blankets start to 'walk'..they hate the cold and the rain so we have to 'encourage' them to go outside, [like picking them up and pushing them out the door] otherwise they will just sit in the door way and not budge..

Sure hope you got that heat duct reconnected...cannot imagine not having any heat in that weather..
sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 20, 2005
10:59 AM

Post #1247727

Dyson, You sure must love that cat. and Bless your heart.
Peterson, I bet Dyson has some Insulated carhart coveralls and some wool socks. When you live or work in those parts you have to. I have 2 of the largest rolling rubbermaids full to show for it. I will definately have a trunk sale when I get to retire. lol
salvia_lover
Modi'in
Israel

January 20, 2005
1:13 PM

Post #1247831

Abby, that's a cute story about picking out your puppy :-).

My golden girl is Oakie. We didn't want to call her Blondie or Goldie, but wanted something to fit her color. I was racking my brain trying to think of a good name in Hebrew. Then I thought of oak wood (which was about her color at the time). But calling her Oak didn't seem like a good idea. Then we remembered that her mother's name was Georgia (Soviet Georgia though ;-). So we named our puppy Oklahoma in her official papers. Her everyday name that she knows though is Oakie (spelled that way because of her color) :-).

-Julie
sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 20, 2005
1:36 PM

Post #1247857

I love all these puppy tales. I have been know to be brave enough to put on knee boots and walk thru a pack of Chiahuahuas. It was not easy. Sunny and 50 outside.
I have a "solar clothesdrier" and the birds are out planting some kind of black/blue seed of some kind. It's not pretty on my pretty white clothes, the car, or the sidewalks.
salvia_lover
Modi'in
Israel

January 20, 2005
6:41 PM

Post #1248399

"solar clothesdrier" ROTFL! :-D very cute!

-Julie
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

January 21, 2005
6:24 AM

Post #1249480

33.6, 89%, snow, snow, snow, snow, snow
sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 21, 2005
2:35 PM

Post #1249825

Well it's to 70* today and tomorrow, but a high of 47* on Sunday. I spend more time tucking my plants under blankies.
peterson89
El Cajon, CA
(Zone 10a)

January 21, 2005
11:18 PM

Post #1250683

Do you wear insulated underwear Dyson, you would have to wear long johns or something in that weather..yes, you must really really love your cat.. :()

sugarweed, I had a solar clothesdrier for years and would still have a one if hubby had not dumped it...the best way in the world to freshen and disinfect clothes [and that wonderful smell]

reminded me always of growing up in the UK and my moms washing lines full of clothes.[blowing in the wind].. nothing like it [fresh sheets and towells etc.,]
[don't know about them thar birds tho..nothing to laugh about there
]
Its cute hearing about everyones pets., ours are so cute and friendly, had no idea until we went to the vets how snappy and ill tempered a lotof the chihuahuas are..we were almost shocked..vet told us ours were the only ones they looked forward to seeing as they would wag their tails off and lick everyone silly ..in fact the little tea cup [Sweetie] had her in their clinic so long one day thought something was wrong..receptionist came back and said everyone was playing with her.. she was so tiny could put her in the palm of your hand..[she is still hard to resist..] that was a relief...

Here, been the most gorgeous week, 87* on Wednesday, around 79* today, still very warm but cooling off and not quite as sunny, we are expecting a nice weekend but possibly more rain next week..I think we are forgetting it is still winter and often March is a real miserable month..[ after just viewing the national weather forcast for the nation..what am I talking about]. ?? there is miserable and absolutely miserable...:((
[whats that about a picture being worth a thousand words]?
se_eds
Millersburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

January 22, 2005
1:42 AM

Post #1250934

Right now it is 8 degrees. The National Emergency email service is saying 8-10 inches tomorrow between 7AM and Sunday 7 AM, with 30-40 mile per hr. winds. Snow along the coast (Phila area) is predicted to be 12" +.

Sometimes they are wrong.

It is nice and warm in this room with my computer and 72 daylily plants.
sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 22, 2005
2:22 PM

Post #1251543

Whoa Peterson, lets get through February first. Don't go skippin Feb, I need valentines and lots of em.
I sure miss John, but hope he knows how much his dry wit could be used to trudge thru this winter.
It is gray out and 64*.
I can say that cause I'm too far away for ya'll to throw snowballs back.
Was hoping it would be sunny today so I could do one more load of laundry. According to WC it'll be partly cloudy, but dry.
All those in the north stay toasty.
Dyson keep all your facilities in tact.
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

January 22, 2005
5:23 PM

Post #1251867

27.5, 89%
sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 22, 2005
5:32 PM

Post #1251886

Burrrrrrrrrr
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

January 22, 2005
7:34 PM

Post #1252103

73F, sunny, no wind

Where I grew up, it's 28F and snowing. I've spent a lot of time waiting for the school bus in -20F windchills and all that nonsense.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

January 22, 2005
8:22 PM

Post #1252186

Well, I think my in/out thermometer is lying. It says still 44 outside yet I cannot get the inside above 68 running the hearter full-tilt.
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

January 22, 2005
8:31 PM

Post #1252211

darius, my cats keep disconnecting a main piece of flex vent from my main furnce. Have a friend check your duct system out.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

January 22, 2005
8:33 PM

Post #1252213

Good suggestion Dyson, but I only have a wall-mounted, non-vented, ductless propane heater.
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

January 22, 2005
8:36 PM

Post #1252216

Where in the house is it located?

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

January 22, 2005
8:38 PM

Post #1252220

Outside wall, concrete block. and the thermostat is part of the heater against the wall.
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

January 22, 2005

Post #1252399

no, where - ie. basement, first floor, upstairs, etc? Sorry bout the delay in reply (fighting ISP problems)

This message was edited Jan 22, 2005 6:11 PM

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

January 23, 2005
1:47 AM

Post #1252740

I live in the walk-out basement apartment. Right now I have turned on my elec. tower heater near where I am, either at the computer or in bed. It helps.
se_eds
Millersburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

January 23, 2005
2:03 AM

Post #1252769

Ah-Ha! the snow storm fizzled out. It got up close to 20 degrees. We only have about 4-5 inches. Sending it up to Boston Ma.
Will have to get the snow blower out tomorrow ( if it isn;t too windy and if we want to go somewhere)

Darn! the joys of retirement. This is the first winter I don;t have to go out and make the trip to work. God bless all of you who are still doing it.
sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 23, 2005
1:35 PM

Post #1253331

Well, it was 63 when I returned from hearing Ann Finney sing last night at 11pm. It was 36 this morning when I got up at 7am and fell to 35, but is up to 39 at 9:30. Tomorrow, 24 with wind chills in the teens.
Now about WIND CHILL, does this affect our plants like it does us, or does the sun on a plant counteract the breeze?
I'm thinking you warm Darius.
Dyson I'd install a lightly charged chicken wire fence around that duct. 10 volt would scare a cat I think and might get you some rest.
marclay
markleysburg, PA
(Zone 5a)

January 23, 2005
3:32 PM

Post #1253508

WC at 15 below in the mts this morning-about 8-10 inches of snow on top of the already 5-6 inches on the ground. What a day for the two playoff games .

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

January 23, 2005
3:48 PM

Post #1253530

Ha, I wish I could get warm! Right now I'm at the computer with a light jacket on although the house is up to 64. I sit quite close to a bank of leaky windows so it's cooler here than in the middle of the room. It's up to about 19 and sunny outside but have no idea of the Wind Chill.

We were very fortunate in this storm, being on the very southernmost edge of the precipitation. We only got some ice then a light dusting of snow and moderate winds. I think the forecast low for tonight is 10, cold for the south.
sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 23, 2005
3:56 PM

Post #1253543

That's real football weather. I remember being so inspired to stay still outside for 3 hrs at 17*.
That was a looooooooong time ago, 40 years roughly. I admire the vigor of these fans but will be watching from the living room from here on out. Especially in 2 weeks when the super is only 5 miles away. NC, GA, and SC tourist companies are advertising for us locals to come north and avoid the crowds.
salvia_lover
Modi'in
Israel

January 23, 2005
7:15 PM

Post #1253903

Rain rain rain rain rain rain rain rain rain rain rain...and, oh, yeah, almost forgot...rain! Just wish some of it would flow in the right direction...or better yet, that someone in this country would get their act together and start engineering a collection system instead of letting all of our precious winter rain water run right out to the Sea! ACK! Can you tell this is a sore subject with me?

Sugarweed, I agree, I don't like cold...but mostly I just don't like the WETNESS of a rainy winter. If there's a good game to get excited about, a thermos of hot cocoa to keep my tummy warm and perhps even some snow on the horizon, I'd love to be outside in the cold. As it is, we just have soggy rain...no fun to be outside in that even if the temperature here is considerably warmer than what Darius has to contend with.

12C/53.6F...with no end in site to the days and days of rain we've been having.

-Julie
sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 23, 2005
7:48 PM

Post #1253948

Spring of 2003 it rained for months on end. Mother was so pleased, the drought had ended
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

January 23, 2005
8:38 PM

Post #1254026

24.6, 48%, sunny
peterson89
El Cajon, CA
(Zone 10a)

January 24, 2005
7:30 AM

Post #1254846

Cannot believe some of the weather back east but am sure just as bad in the northern states..had a lovely weekend here..was 80* still very dry and sunny, cooling off this week and possibly late rain..

said on the late news Miami was down to 29* that is cold..the citrus and everything suffers..we got that real cold spell recently from Alaska..nice to have the pineapple express from the Islands...

Not forgetting about Feb Sugar..Happy Valentines..you can have the chocs, I will take the red roses [yeh..right]..:))
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

January 24, 2005
7:49 AM

Post #1254850

12.7. 56% - don't want to go outside right now.
peterson89
El Cajon, CA
(Zone 10a)

January 24, 2005
8:12 AM

Post #1254853

Don't blame you !!! Who would :((
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

January 24, 2005
2:35 PM

Post #1255112

25.0, maybe I'll be able to get the water going again.
patischell
Fort Pierce, FL
(Zone 10a)

January 25, 2005
3:57 PM

Post #1257071

HOORAY! I'm turning off the little heater and climbing out of the blanket nest!! It's up to 57, 40% and not a cloud in the sky! All the Begonias and ferns leave the house and all plants who had to shiver outside will get a good drink of water. Seems like the cold just sucks all their moisture out. I may just go to HD and get two "Best Boy" tomato plants, they did so good last year.
Pati
sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 25, 2005
4:28 PM

Post #1257118

Pati, I thought I was going to have a search party dispatched to Fort Pierce. I'd said she'll be under a big pile of blankies, with two very long slick tails wiggiling close by. When you find her she'll be wearing bra and sweat pants, maybe some warm slippers. lol I'm still chuckling over that.
Those tomatoes sound great to me. When I can stay home, I will grow tomatoes. The furry tailed rats would eat them if I can't stand guard.
I'm going to trim back freezer burn and plant some more seed flats in the house. There may not be much to eat in the refrigerator for awhile, though it be full. So many germination experiments.

Sunny and 62*
I miss you John.
Sidney
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

January 25, 2005
4:48 PM

Post #1257306

43.2, 51%, sunny
sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 26, 2005
12:51 PM

Post #1258509

58* outside, up to 70* Hopefully driving to NC today after my van, Annie, comes out of the shop.
Seems she had van alzhiemers and can have her brain replaced, just $500, what a bargain.
I'll take my warm clothes.
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

January 26, 2005
1:32 PM

Post #1258550

39.6, 75%, cloudy
patischell
Fort Pierce, FL
(Zone 10a)

January 26, 2005
1:40 PM

Post #1258557

Have a safe trip Sugar. As the Jamaicans say "COOL RUNNING"
Pati

This message was edited Jan 26, 2005 9:40 AM
Jos
southwestern, IA
(Zone 5a)

January 28, 2005
4:17 PM

Post #1262214

This Afternoon: A chance of snow and sleet. Cloudy, with a high around 31. South wind between 8 and 11 mph. Chance of precipitation is 30%.

Tonight: A chance of snow and sleet. Cloudy, with a low around 25. Southeast wind between 3 and 7 mph. Chance of precipitation is 40%

Saturday: A 40 percent chance of snow. Cloudy, with a high around 33. Light and variable wind.

Saturday Night: A 30 percent chance of snow. Mostly cloudy, with a low near 26. North wind between 3 and 5 mph

Sunday: A 20 percent chance of snow. Mostly cloudy, with a high around 32. North wind around 6 mph becoming calm.

Sunday Night: A 30 percent chance of snow. Cloudy, with a low around 24.

Monday: A 20 percent chance of snow. Mostly cloudy, with a high around 33.

Just this past Tuesday we almost hit 60 so I can't be too depressed about the forcast...lol I was able to wash my car in the middle of January...good enough for me. It is Iowa.
peterson89
El Cajon, CA
(Zone 10a)

January 28, 2005
9:17 PM

Post #1262610

WHOW !!! Iowa, you were getting me quite depressed there, but things are looking up 60 degrees..not bad eh ?
I think you guys are trying to make us [the warm weather folk] feel bad..but we really do feel for you all.. just don't kknow how you do it anymore...would drive me nutty !!!!

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

January 28, 2005
10:45 PM

Post #1262712

We here in the SE are expecting a mamoth ice storm from late tonight until maybe Sunday morning, from central GA and AL all the way up to VA.

All that ice accumulation will bring down trees on power lines and we'll have a huge power outage and a really big mess!
sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 29, 2005
1:46 AM

Post #1263023

Whoa, am I in for some trouble driving back to Fl tomorrow night? It's 22 and clear. Too cold for ice.??
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

January 29, 2005
2:18 AM

Post #1263066

23.7, 42%, clear & cold, carefull how you go sidney.
sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 29, 2005
2:24 AM

Post #1263078

Like Dorthy said, There's no place like home. I just wish I could click my heels 3 times and be there.
Will take great care.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

January 29, 2005
2:38 AM

Post #1263102

Yeah, Sugar, you could be in trouble, esp. from Charlotte. PLEASE take care.
sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 29, 2005
3:37 AM

Post #1263183

I WILL< I WILL< I PROMISE I WILL!
berrygirl
Braselton, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 29, 2005
6:16 PM

Post #1264039

Having a minor ice event here in good ole Georgia today. It's 27 with about 1 in. of sleet on the ground. As long as no freezing rain our power lines should be OK. Wish it were snow instead of sleet but it still looks pretty though!

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

January 29, 2005
6:23 PM

Post #1264055

Berrygirl, we were supoposed to get a lot of freezing rain, and indeed it's all around me, but I must be in a small microclimate. We had some freezing rain earlier today but it wasn't much and has thawed. East of me about an hour they are getting snow. I'm thankful not to have the mess that Atlanta and N. GA has...
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

January 29, 2005
6:56 PM

Post #1264109

26.8 and dropping fast, snowing heavy.
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

January 29, 2005
8:11 PM

Post #1264203

25.3, snow has turned to sleet & freezeing rain. Just got back from the store & the main road is a solid sheet of ice. Definately "in" for the remainder of the evening.
se_eds
Millersburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

January 29, 2005
10:48 PM

Post #1264426

Darius, I was thinking about you today when I watched the storm on the weather channel. I know you live in among the hills and was hopeing you still had electric. Take care.
sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 30, 2005
12:40 AM

Post #1264548

Shew, I barely dodged the ice, as I high-tailed it out of NC. Straight to Jax from Riedsville. My DS called at 10 and told me not to try to make it to see him, I might be stuck there and it was already snowing in Charlotte. Had some ice on the car the first 250 miles, but it warmed up after and it's 57 here now.
Darius, stay snuggly with your big warm cat.
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

January 30, 2005
12:44 AM

Post #1264555

Sidney thanks for letting us know you made the trip ok... I WAS WORRIED... iced in here glad you made it safe - Dyson
sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 30, 2005
12:58 AM

Post #1264576

Thank you for worrying, but the kid tries to CHA, don't want to be stranded in that stuff. Please stay warm. Did you scare that cat off your duct work yet?
I have a great mission tomorrow to pick-up some Brug cuttings about an hour south of here. I'm as nervous as an expectant mother.
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

January 30, 2005
5:10 AM

Post #1264936

28.9 here, up from the afternoon at 26 maybe some ice will melt off later today.
imway2dumb
Gordonville, TX
(Zone 7b)

January 30, 2005
3:51 PM

Post #1265386

Hey ya'll, wassup? The long range forcast for winter seems to have been right on and, that sucks! What happen to the days when the weather man was always wrong? 34F and overcast. Rain showers nearby.
salvia_lover
Modi'in
Israel

January 30, 2005
3:56 PM

Post #1265395

So sorry to hear about all your ice everyone! Here we've had freak weather too...but on the other end of the spectrum. We'd been having nights around 45F and days around 55F. Then suddenly without any warning it jumped to 80F yesterday by 9 in the morning. Today was even hotter at 85F. That sudden increase caused lots of migraines. The worst one I've ever had...wanted to just crawl in a hole and hide from my own head. Thankfully the air pressure decreased at some point in the night and I'm feeling more human again today. We usually have plenty of warm days throughout our mild winter here, but I've never experienced anything like this. Weird!

-Julie
berrygirl
Braselton, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 30, 2005
4:05 PM

Post #1265410

salvia,
What is your zone there in Modi'in?
imway2dumb
Gordonville, TX
(Zone 7b)

January 30, 2005
4:25 PM

Post #1265427

Wish we would go above average for awhile!
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

January 30, 2005
5:17 PM

Post #1265505

At the moment, 59F, sunny, and very windy. It rained 0.6 inches on Friday.
salvia_lover
Modi'in
Israel

January 30, 2005
5:22 PM

Post #1265515

Berrygirl,

We don't really fall within the US zone ranges due to our rainy season / dry season thing. But the lowest it gets in my town in winter is about 40-45F. Even the 40F is really stretching it...probably only 1 or 2 days in the winter that get even close to that cold. Summer's here are drier than dry with no rainfall from end of April to end of September. And we get up to about 100-105F on the hottest days. It can get somewhat humid too, so it's not like they say in Arizona "it's a dry heat" ;-).

A few minutes further toward Jerusalem up the mountains gets colder and about halfway between here and Jerusalem it's possible to get snow (only about 25 minute drive from here to Jerusalem to the east and 25 minutes to Tel Aviv to the west). But even Jerusalem only gets 1 or 2 snowfalls a year which always melt within hours of falling. So far I don't think they've gotten any this year. The only place to guarantee seeing snow here in the winter is on Mt Hermon...a good 4 1/2 hour drive from here.

-Julie
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

January 30, 2005
8:34 PM

Post #1265808

45.7, ice melted off, what a difference a day can make.
sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 30, 2005

Post #1266249

Howdy, my dear friends, well stayed where the temp was in the low 60s and it's down to the high 40s at night. Drove to pick-up some Brug cuttings, and got a whole load of goodies.
I'm hoping John will start our February forum for local weather. We still have 1 more day of Jan.
I sure am glad to see him out.
I have a weather/zone question I posed at http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/481984/ . Hope ya'll will stop by and give me your 2 cents.
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

January 31, 2005
1:08 PM

Post #1266972

32.9 and riseing.
imway2dumb
Gordonville, TX
(Zone 7b)

January 31, 2005
6:56 PM

Post #1267514

As requested I started another thread. Hi 41, Lo 35, 0.81" rain, overcast.

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/482473/

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Weather Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Boring Hurricane Boards? Floridian 106 Jul 24, 2011 12:43 PM
Big Feb Storm CountryGardens 54 Mar 3, 2007 2:39 PM
Yipee It's March!! Daily Weather sugarweed 206 Mar 9, 2007 4:58 AM
Deadly Tornado hits Alabama henryr10 22 Mar 5, 2007 5:01 PM
Help!!! Something's eating the moon!!!! Resin 10 Mar 6, 2007 4:42 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America