Local weather, January 2005, It's a joy to be alive!

Okeechobee, FL(Zone 10a)

A most Happy New Year. May 2005 bring joy and cheer, Hostas, Hueceras, Roses, Brugs, Clemantises, Hibiscus, Poppies,Milk weed, Coleuses. Well now there's my journal.LOL
A beautiful garening day here. Sunny 75. Getting some of my "secret dirt", fixed-up and really planing my new garden.
Thought we could use a fresh start. Sidney

Southern Mountains, GA(Zone 6b)

Good idea, 61 and sunny here, just back from Lowe's with a bag of dolomitic lime.

Clovis, CA(Zone 9a)

Thanks sugar, seems an appropriate day to start fresh! Sun is finally shining here after about 3 days of solid rain. . .it rained so much, my flower beds are lakes. We've had 2.25" of rain in the last 5 days. That's not alot by some standards, but for here it is ALOT! And there's more on the way. The sunshine is a nice respite.

Okeechobee, FL(Zone 10a)

.Can you trench it away from the bed? I've had to do that alot

Santa Clara, CA(Zone 9a)

We had our first sun today for about 4 hours before it started to rain again (it's been raining since Christmas). Was able to plant some bulbs I got 1/2 off a couple of weeks ago even though it was planting in mud it felt good.

Millersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

63 degrees, sunny skies with balmy breezes in Pa. on Jan 1 - broke a record. It was lovely. Sat on the porch and watched the birds.

We have had less than an inch of snow so far this winter but sometimes we get some doozies in Jan and Feb.

Happy New Year to one and All!

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

53.4, 80%, - Chili in the crock pot & cornbread in the oven, happpy new years to all.

Modi'in, Israel

We've had so much rain that I've got moss growing in some of my shadier beds! ACK!Lots of rain and clay soil just aren't a good combination. But sandy soil here in summer just causes us to waste a lot of water (which this country really can't afford to do). I think when summer comes around I'll try to find some way to make a run-off system to keep the extra water out of the shadier beds. dunno exactly what I'll do, but I'll figure out something. I can't lift the beds though because of the trees growing in them...oh well.

It's nearly 11am here and a rainy 14C (57F). I'm afraid to go out and see what the hours and hours of torrential rains did to my already water logged beds....

-Julie

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

43, 94%,overcast

Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

It's eleven here and the sun is beginning to peek thru the cloudiness - temps have risen to 50* and they promise us some kind of moisture by nightfall. We could use it. It seems to all fall in the Sierras and the clouds are dry by the time they cross Nevada and Utah [we sit almost on the border with Colorado].

L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

We had hail today! Hail is rare here and this is the most I have ever seen. (The house is the house across the street.)

Thumbnail by Kelli

More hail. This looks downright Christmassy.

Thumbnail by Kelli
Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

Hey Kelli, I heard they even had to close 5 outta LA
Forgot to say those are great shots, liked the second with the ice in the air.

This message was edited Jan 3, 2005 9:24 PM

The 5 over the mountains (~4000 ft. elevation) has been closed all day. It happens several times every winter.

Clovis, CA(Zone 9a)

Kelli. . .Thanks for sharing pics. . .we very occasionally get that much hail, where it looks like snow. . .but it's been awhile. Need to call MIL in Granada Hills and see if her yard looked like yours. We're getting buckets of rain up here. . . wish more of it could soak in, but ground is very saturated and alot of it is running off in the storm drains. It will get a chance to soak in more in the ponding basins which are all over our area, since we are a watershed area at the base of the Sierras. Had small stream advisories this last night and this am from heavy rain in foothills.

I-5 closure still in effect, not sure when that major artery will reopen. Per Caltrans:

I-5 [LOS ANGELES & VENTURA CO'S]
IS CLOSED FROM 4 MI NORTH OF THE JCT OF SR 126 /LAKE HUGHES RD/
(LOS ANGELES CO) TO 25 MI SOUTH OF BAKERSFIELD /LAVAL RD/ (KERN CO)
/GRAPEVINE AREA/ - DUE TO SNOW - MOTORISTS ARE ADVISED TO USE AN ALTERNATE
ROUTE

Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

Don't cha just love it when they say use alternate route and there really aren't alternates? Tho I guess if 58/14 was open thru Lancaster you could do that.

Clovis, CA(Zone 9a)

The other way is US101 along the coast, which is a pretty drive, but could be tricky as well in bad weather. You get lots of ocean views til you get north of Santa Barbara a ways and then it heads inland for awhile. Takes a little longer, but we occasionally go that way just for change of scenery and to catch a jazz show in a venue we enjoy in Cambria. Know what you mean tho. . .LOL blooms.

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Kelli, loved your second shot where the hail in the air really shows!

The 5 is still closed. One time we were coming back from Sequoia and the 5 and the 58 were closed so we had to go out to the 101 and come back down the coast. It took three hours longer than normal going that way.

There is still hail laying in the grass and on the roofs. I've never seen hail last more than maybe half an hour, but I don't think I've ever seen hail in the winter before.

Thumbnail by Kelli
Modi'in, Israel

Kelli, it looks like you scattered those little white styrofoam balls that you find in potting soil LOL. Either that or overcooked couscous LOL

-Julie

It reminded me of tapioca.

Modi'in, Israel

yeah that too LOL :-)

I talked to a woman down the street and she said that there was no hail two streets over to the east and to the west.

southwestern, IA(Zone 5a)

Its finally winter in Iowa...its been cold for a while but no real precip to speak of until yesterday.

Where do I start? lol
Sunday night approx 11:pm freezing rain started and continued off and on until this morning around 6:am. Monday's drive to work was downright ugly! About noon today freezing rain started again, turning to sleet around 2:pm. It is now snowing just after 4:pm. This is what the local news has listed for the "fun" to come:

Heavy snow is expected tonight with a break in the snow intensity around sunrise. Another round of heavy snow is likely Wednesday afternoon. This will be a significant snow for the Omaha metro area with 12-15" expected by Wednesday night.

Im not looking forward to it but hey at least I can wear jeans to work!

**with 12-15" expected by Wednesday night**

Yikes!!!

southwestern, IA(Zone 5a)

LOL
Yes it seems extreme to people who are not used to this type of winter, but Im good with it being January and the "weather" just now really hitting us. This is the reason I have 4 wheel drive! I just take it in stride and hope to make it through the worst with our vehicles unscathed. Plus I am hoping to get some great photos!

Clovis, CA(Zone 9a)

Jos. . .bet there was some slippin and slidn in that first onslaught. Never ceases to amaze me here, when we get the first storms, people still zip around like it's 80 degrees outside, instead of the roads being slippery, like driving on glass. Hold my breath every time I have to be out there. Sounds like you've got it under control somewhat w/ the 4 wheel drive. . . it's just everybody else you've got to look out for. Take care!

Kelli. . .the paper had a pic of trucks stalled up at Tejon Pass and said 2' of snow had fallen. The CalTrans report is showing no restrictions on I-5 now thru the whole state. Guess they got it clear enough to get through.

We had a respite from the rain today. . still cloudy and kind of dreary. More rain on the way in the next few days. At least there was a break for some of the water ponded up to soak in a little.

Millersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

Jos, it sounds like you're finally getting winter. It was 45 here today and we had only an inch of snow last December. Highly unusual for Pa. I did get winter storm watches from Emegency email today telling us to expect up to 2 inches of sleet and freezing rain for tomorrow into Thursday. But Hey! it's winter time.

Stay safe. I retired last year and don't have to go out in it. May go out and run the snow blower to "play" in it.

Southern Mountains, GA(Zone 6b)

43' here this morning, overcast, forecast predicts a high of 67', 30% chance of rain tomorrow.

Okeechobee, FL(Zone 10a)

Howdy from our nations capital. It has been wonderful weather here for the last few days. I won't be specific because of the political "thing", but saw the 109th Congress sworn in yesterday. We're on a bus, so photos are not good thru the windows.
Going to the White House this morning and will photograph gardens there if they permit.
Ithink we will have good weather today also and will be back in Jacksonville tomorrow morning.
God is good all the time.

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

67.1, 71% sunny, nice

38 degrees early this morning. Cloudy. Supposed to rain again tomorrow.

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

Helloo, helloo. Been having problems with my ISP. Its a roller coaster, weather wise here. Way above average for a few days then way below average for another few days. Temps dropping since early am. We have flood watch, flash flood watch and a freezing rain advisory all at the same time today!! Current temp is 31 and rain. Suppose to be in the teens by manana. It was 70 a couple days ago!!!

Great fotos Kelli! I heard that all passes accross the Sierras had been closed recently.

Janet, thanks for that fire ant link!

John

Happy New Year everyone!!!

Modi'in, Israel

Yeah tell me about it John! The weather here can't make up it's mind either....from one minute to the next!

Went in this morning to get my stitches out. Clear blue gorgeous sky. Not a cloud in sight. I thought "this is going to be a lovely day and maybe my poor saturated garden can get some relief and I won't lose too many plants to drowning".

Not even 10 MINUTES later, I came out of the clinic building after getting the stitches out and the entire sky was completely black with storm clouds! In less that TEN MINUTES! ACK! So much for my poor garden. We had pounding rain, hail, wind, lightning, thunder, and all that again all day...and it's still spitting outside to one degree or another. grrrrrrrrrrr!

-Julie

Here's a pic of what one of my poor beds looked like at noon today. I have no idea how the others faired as this was the only one I could get a shot of without getting drenched.

Thumbnail by salvia_lover

That looks about like how our yard looked earlier this week.

Thumbnail by Kelli
Modi'in, Israel

Nope, Kelli, I will immediately cease and desist all complaining about my waterlogged garden. Mine is nowhere near as drowned as your poor garden! YIKES! I hope all that water isn't backed up against your foundation as it appears to be in the photo. I HOPE I'm wrong about that. ugh! I hope your garden doesn't fair too poorly from all the excess water....nor your house either!

-Julie

After it stopped raining, the water drained away fairly quickly. We don't have a basement, so there can be no flooding there, and the water would overflow the sidewalk and run down the hill before it could get in on the first floor.

Tremont, IL(Zone 5b)

We are having freezing rain here today. I took pictures of a bell mounted on a post outside our house. It looks real neat.

Thumbnail by Hostanquilts
So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Kelli, is the flower to the far left of your photo an epi, or a christmas cactus? If it's an epi, may I get a cutting?

Jan, I love how ice looks on things... as long as I don't have to try to walk or drive on it!

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

Its 27 and raining but, all objects are way too warm still for any ice to form. That will soon change I'm sure.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images