Epiphyllum blooming

Baker City, OR(Zone 5b)

Can anybody name it? It is the only one I have, I got the start from Ponditis and she didn't know what name or what color.

Thumbnail by MaryE
Baker City, OR(Zone 5b)

A closer look.

Thumbnail by MaryE
Nevada, MO(Zone 6a)

Sorry, I don't know the name, but have to say that the plant looks very happy and I imagine it will be absolutely beautiful when the blooms open. The flowers are just gorgeous.

Valley Village, CA

Is it a Rhipsalis? The flower is so dainty, perhaps its a species? Norma

Valley Village, CA

I've been looking it up for you, and I ran across this name, the flowers look like a match. I can only see the flowers, the leaves do not show enough to be identified. Possibly from Mexico requiring tropical conditions. You did a great job on the picture, I wish mine came out that well. Norma
This might be right, at least it will give you something to go on. Rhipsalis heptagona Rauh et Backb. Norma

Baker City, OR(Zone 5b)

Thanks Norma, I tried a google search using that name and came up with nothing. Where did you see the picture?

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

Mary, I think it might belong to the epiphyllum family. It has the same type of leaves like my red orchid cactus/epiphyllum.
:) Donna

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

I don't know what it is but I WANT A CUTTING!

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

Me to, me to! Thanks for asking first....lol.

Modesto, CA(Zone 8b)

I think we all want a cutting....perhaps Mary would be willing to trade a leaf for a leaf of our epiphyllums???....a great way to grow your epi collection Mary! :~D

Baker City, OR(Zone 5b)

It is indeed. Expect to hear from me when the weather warms in the spring! Just posting it on this forum might be the easiest way to get trades of them going. Did you notice how many buds are on the plant? When I first saw them I thought they would get much larger before any of them opened, so I was surprised to see tiny flowers! PerennialGirl, can I send things like that to Canada?

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

I've gotten plants from the US and as long as it says cuttings or without soil there isn't a problem so far. Here is the link to my pictures on webshots:
http://community.webshots.com/user/gardeningperennialgirl
In the cactus and succulent folder there is a picture of my red ephi.

Muscoda, WI(Zone 4b)

Mary...that's COOL! (Save me a cutting too...:-))

~julie~

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Perennialgirl I hate to put a damper on this but epiphylliums are listed on the CITES list......there could be a lot of problems if it is mailed to Canada.

Precipice Valley, BC(Zone 2a)

What is a CITES list? I sent a bareroot Aloe (I have a huge variety that blooms in about 3 years) to California once and it took over 3 weeks to get there...still survived, though. A bit battered, even though I mailed it in a tube.

I'd love one of those white fringed epis, though, and would be happy to trade for one of these (anyone know the correct name?) Also happy to send cuttings within Canada, if the consensus is that it won't cross the border.

Thumbnail by Chilko
Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

http://www.cites.ec.gc.ca/eng/sct0/index_e.cfm

The Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora (CITES) sets controls on the international trade and movement of animal and plant species that have been, or may be, threatened due to excessive commercial exploitation.

Environment Canada (EC) is the lead agency responsible for implementing CITES on behalf of the federal government.

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

Are you sure, Lilypon??? Oh sure burst my bubble...lol. Chilko I would luv to trade you a piece for my red one.

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Positive PerennialGirl and if it was opened by Customs there could be a lot of problems!

Quoting:
English Name
Epiphyllum spp.

All cacti not included in Appendix I

Tous les cactus non compris dans l’annexe I

To import in Canada :
Specimens to be imported into Canada must be accompanied by: a CITES export permit issued by the exporting country.

List of CITES national contacts

To export from Canada :
Specimens to be exported from Canada must be accompanied by: a Canadian CITES export permit.

This message was edited Jan 5, 2005 7:31 PM

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

Ah shucks.....waaaaaaah.....sniff, sniff.
:( Donna

I got a bunch of epi cuttings from Gourd early this past summer, at least 6 different colors. I'll be so happy when they grow up!

Modesto, CA(Zone 8b)

No worries Mary, I've got red, peach, white (ric-rac) and white night blooming cereus.....besides some that haven't bloomed yet....we'll make sure you have whatever color you like! Karen

Thumbnail by Kachinagirl

I should have added to my post above that I have a very large night-bloooming white epi, and a smaller red with a purple blush. Should have cuttings for either to trade.

Kachinagirl, I'd love a cutting later of the zig-zag and the peach. Doubt I will have anything in trade you might want, though so put me at the bottom of the list for SASE/postage if you have enough. Thanks!.

This message was edited Jan 3, 2005 4:58 PM

Lincoln City, OR(Zone 9a)

Wow Mary, that is very pretty. I have never gotten it to bloom in my home conditions but it just keeps getting longer and larger all the time. Now at least I can know what the flower looks like. I gave another piece to another friend with a greenhouse and his has not bloomed either but his is in almost full shade under his orchid bench.

I will be watching this thread to see if it gets identified. I brought a piece of it home in my luggage back in 1995 from Massachusetts when Mom and I rode the train out there and home. Ten days on the train isn't my cup of tea but I came home with some neat plants from my Aunt's friend.

This was origionally from a yard in southern Florida. That is all I know.

Mesa, AZ(Zone 9a)

It kinda looks like it's in the Disocactus Family.

Blessings,
Awanda

Ventura, United States(Zone 10b)

You may want to email a picture to the guy who has this site: http://www.ecology.org/orchids/index5.html#Epis He'll probably know which one it is.

in Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I have Rhipsalis cruciforme cuttings,and a few Epiphyllum Queen of the night. and showboat cuttings. Looking for colors I don't have..
Patti

This message was edited Jan 4, 2005 11:21 AM

in Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Showboat epiphyllum

Thumbnail by rose318
Baker City, OR(Zone 5b)

Oh boy, Rose, that is a beauty. I would love to get a start of that one. Well, ok, I'm greedy because I don't have any others so I want them all. KachinaGirl, yours are really pretty too, I'm drooling here. My knowledge of these plants would fit on the head of a pin but I think they are beautiful and unusual. When Ponditis gave me the start of hers I asked her what it was and she didn't know, said she had it several years and gave some away and it hadn't bloomed.

Here's my red epi, below. Lighting is not too good, sorry. It's also in the database: http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/60332/index.html

Here's a link to my white epi, Night Blooming Cereus: http://davesgarden.com/pf/showimage/23946/

Thumbnail by darius
in Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Well ladies I would love to trade my epiphyllum cuttings for yours. Just let me know. . It is a excellent way of building our collection.
Patti

This message was edited Jan 4, 2005 11:21 AM

Precipice Valley, BC(Zone 2a)

Perennial Girl--I'd be happy to send you cuttings from that pink cactus--do you know what kind of epi it is?--but I think I'd better wait until the weather is warmer; it would freeze its little spines off in the mail truck at the moment! I do have the red epi already so don't need more. Anyhow, when the time comes, remind me and I'll package some up. Here's a picture of one of my reds--it had 14 blossoms out at once but I couldn't get a frontal shot!

Thumbnail by Chilko
Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

Chilko, I would luv to trade something for a pink one of yours. Here is the link to my webshots. Check out the color of my red one to see if it's different. I can't tell proper colors right now because my monitor has lost it's true colors....lol. I think it went on strike. I do have other cactus/succulents there to view.

Sorry, forgot the link. http://community.webshots.com/user/gardeningperennialgirl

This message was edited Jan 6, 2005 11:50 AM

Shelburne Falls, MA(Zone 5a)

Chilko, I have the pink one you have. Is it flat-leaved like a christmas cactus only bigger? Are the flowers smaller than most epis? They sure look the same to me. Here's my attempt at identification and some photos of mine: http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/454786/

I found it's name on the ecology website above: Disocactus phyllanthoides (also called about 7 other names including water lily cactus). I'm so grateful, Clare, for that website!! I will eventually post it on the database and if yours is the same you can post more photos, Chilko!

I also would love to trade for the peach and the ric-rac, Kachinagirl. Would you like a piece of the pink? What else? Could you use seeds of Hippeastrum 'Merengue'? I have a handful of new seeds (bloomed Thanksgiving). Not sure id they will be true if it's a hybrid. http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/470310/
Gosh this is fun!

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

Hi, boojum. I luv your epi.....it's purrrrrrty! Do you still have any of your amaryllis seeds that I could try? I can trade you for something.

Waiting on Kachina, but I also have seeds from my grandmother's plant-hippeastrum striatum (species from Brazil). Unless the flying squirrel that was trapped in the house one weekend ate them all! I'll check. No he didn't get many. Lots left. This plant is guaranteed-I've grown good seedlings last year and they are making nice little bulblets. Here is a photo.

Thumbnail by boojum

If my seeds are what you want, I'd love some of those yellow (!!) flax seeds I saw on your webshots! I assume they will grow here in zone 5. I have blue, which I always have in every garden, but never saw a yellow!

Modesto, CA(Zone 8b)

Hi Boojum! I would love to trade. I do have to wait for the Epis to bloom this spring tho, my dutiful DH cleaned the porch last year and messed up my Epi "order"....I have to label them as for color when they bloom in case he does it again this year! LOL The rick-rack is obvious, the others are so similar I forget which is which! I have never gotten the "hang" of amaryllis....it is gorgeous but they just don't do well for me, so I'll stick to the epi trade with you but thanks for the offer. Please give the Hippeastrum 'Merengue' you offered me to Perennialgirl/Donna! I'm sure you and I can come up with something to trade! Karen :~D

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

boojum, I didn't save any yellow flax last year but I will make sure I save this year or maybe I can find a baby for you. If you want to try for seeds of something else, let me know. I would luv seeds of your other amaryllis to try and thankyou Kachinagirl for offering me the other ones.

Karen, we will talk in the spring. I will put you on the list since my brain is useless. BTW, I found that when I followed directions about dormancy and cold for amaryllis they all died, but as soon as I just treated them like all my other plants (water once a week, fertilize, put em outside in summer) they never died! Also they like being cramped.

So, Donna, I can send you the 2 hippeastrum seeds now, right? I'll send them in an envelope so no package issue to Canada. I'm happy to have a place to send them-I was feeling guilty! Donna send me an e-mail so I know where to send them. We can work out your end in spring.

Here's my only photo of my red epi. It was my late mother's plant. This summer it only had a few blooms but the summer before it must have had 20 blooms.

Thumbnail by boojum
Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

Okie, dokie....you've got mail! Your epi almost looks alittle bit different unless it's just a light thing.
Thank you, thank you!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images