-
AuthorContent
PudgyMudpies
Stockton, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 4, 2005
12:43 AM

Post #1219804

I have 4 invitations to Googles Gmail available if anyone is interested. I have offered one to a friend, so can only offer 3 right now, until I hear back from her.

Donna

Edited to say I now only have 2 invitations

This message was edited Jan 3, 2005 5:58 PM
Posie4U
Mansfield, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 4, 2005
11:53 PM

Post #1221541

What exactly are GMail invitations? I have heard the term, but have no idea what GMail is.
PudgyMudpies
Stockton, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 5, 2005
12:29 AM

Post #1221612

This will probably explain it alot clearer then I could. You can only have an account if you get an invitation, and I have 2 left if you decide you want one.
http://gmail.google.com/gmail/help/about.html
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 5, 2005
6:57 AM

Post #1222061

There are two Gmail groups at Google's new groups area (think Yahoo Groups, only MUCH better!).
Gmail Help Discussion: http://groups-beta.google.com/group/Gmail-Help-Discussion
Gmail Generation: /group/Gmail-GenerationGmail-Generation@googlegroups.com
2pugdogs
(Linda) Winfield, KS
(Zone 6a)

January 5, 2005
1:32 PM

Post #1222250

How do you send the invitation? Will it come as a attachment or will it be send through snail mail?
PudgyMudpies
Stockton, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 5, 2005
2:49 PM

Post #1222338

You just need to send me your email address & I will email the invitation to you. Then you just follow the steps in the email to set up your account. I only have 1 left so let me know soon if you want one.
If you have not read the links I sent or that GW posted (thanks for those GW) I will point out that this is a new system & still in beta stage so it is getting better all the time. And now that I can check it with my other email accounts through outlook express, I love it even more. Because of the huge storage capacity, I use it to store my email backups. Saves me burning it on a CD a couple times a month.
2pugdogs
(Linda) Winfield, KS
(Zone 6a)

January 5, 2005
4:59 PM

Post #1222568

After I went to the web site and read the links on it I have deceided to stay with what I have. Thanks so much.

Linda
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 5, 2005
7:55 PM

Post #1222895

I would probably have used my Gmail as my main account were it not for a few things:

Though it reads HTML mail very well, you cannot neither compose e-mail in HTML format nor forward HTML e-mail. Those of you who know me well realize I dislike "bells and whistles" e-mails with script fonts, animated gif's and such, but I do like to use bold, italics and bullets on occasion.

I love how the contacts list works smoothly with auto-completion as you're composing an e-mail; however, there is no way to go to your contacts and easily select several names as recipients. There are a few convoluted ways to do this, but nothing straightforward.

There is also no support for recipient lists, though again there are a couple convoluted ways to get around the limitation - but they're not worth the hassle to me.
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 5, 2005
8:01 PM

Post #1222907

P.S. One of the group members had a great suggestion which I've taken. He said to create a Gmail account for yourself and use it solely for your "brain". Any time you get an idea, a neat article you want to look at later, etc., e-mail it to that account. Don't give the address out to *anyone* - it's just your brain.

For that matter, there is an application available which lets you create a "virtual file system" using your Gmail account as if it's a 1GB external hard drive. You can then drag and drop files to it (up to the 10mb attachment size limit each). Google doesn't support it officially, but many people use it. http://www.viksoe.dk/code/gmail.htm
PudgyMudpies
Stockton, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 5, 2005
9:23 PM

Post #1223035

Very interesting, GW, I just went and read it & am downloading it as I type. Oh, its done. I am now trying it. That is a WONDERFUL feature. Thanks! I just took a Word.doc file that I had planned to back up, and drug it into the virtual drive and boom! It went right into email. What a timesaver this is going to be.
Donna
heycharlie
San Jacinto County, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 9, 2005
5:40 AM

Post #1229084

Thanks PudgyMudpies for the invite.
Got it, Great stuff there. Owe an email of thanks to ya. I'll get to it yet!
-
Installed a notifier which pops up.
Pop3 to Thunderbird where I can read or send mail as if I was on Gmail.
Solved the problem of rich text, expressions that way.

GW
Thanks for:
HYPERLINK@www.viksoe.dk
snip
"but I do like to use bold, italics and bullets on occasion."
-
As mentioned above, using Thunderbird you can:
http://gmail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=13285&rand=0.14364593472714315
PudgyMudpies
Stockton, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 9, 2005
6:19 AM

Post #1229105

You are most welcome Charlie & glad your enjoying it.
It was a pleasure meeting you. :~)
Donna
treelover3
Minneapolis, MN
(Zone 5a)

January 11, 2005
1:51 AM

Post #1232066

PudgyMudpies,
Have you given all of the Gmail invites away? I would love one, if you still have one available.
Thanks,
Mike
(a google fanatic)
Yuska
San Antonio, TX
(Zone 8b)

January 11, 2005
3:06 AM

Post #1232144

I have some left also. Just send me your e-mail address.
PudgyMudpies
Stockton, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 11, 2005
3:39 AM

Post #1232188

yes I do, just email me your email address.
PudgyMudpies
Stockton, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 28, 2005
4:21 PM

Post #1262221

Have more invitations available
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 28, 2005
11:00 PM

Post #1262737

I have three to give away - e-mail me through DG if interested.

By the way, if someone doesn't want to provide a home e-mail address, you can send a copy to your own address, then copy the URL from your sent message into a DG e-mail and the recipient can sign up that way. This is handy to know if, for instance, a person does not take you up on the offer of an invite. As long as the unique URL has not been used, you can copy it from the original sent invitation mail and send it to someone else.
Yuska
San Antonio, TX
(Zone 8b)

November 5, 2005
2:01 PM

Post #1858237

For any of you who have gmail but don't yet have desktop, I would urge you to look at it. The Google Earth and Local features are simply amazing. I'm still trying to navigate some of the other features, but it is fascinating.
heycharlie
San Jacinto County, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 5, 2005
4:11 PM

Post #1858450

Hey Yuska,
You got it! Great stuff!

I use it, plus they're giving upwards of 3GB now!
Users are getting up to 100 invitations to give out.

I have several domain emails, eudora, & satellite. Gmail too!
Although gmail now has (rich text) html I rarely use it.
-
I don't have to sign into all these mail boxes either.

I use:
http://www.mozilla.org/products/thunderbird/
that
allows you to pop3 all these accounts. they have an easy to use, rich text, html mail.

Once you get Thunderbird sit up you get all your mail in one place. one click and thar ye are.
I still go to Gmail time ta time. Lable certain mail and Archive.
Sure is nice to jus type in a name & all email from that person pops rite-up.

Interested parties that would like to have an invite email
braindrano@gmail.com. Subject: send invite. That's it!
-
http://fema-redcross.blogspot.com/
by braindrano is heycharlie...

mrs_colla

mrs_colla
Marin, CA
(Zone 9b)

August 29, 2007
5:02 AM

Post #3912498

I also have about 10 to give away.
Christie
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

August 29, 2007
5:09 AM

Post #3912508

I'm pretty sure anyone can sign up for it now. If not, it looks like there's oodles of invitations available now, eh? I've been using it for a while now and really like it. I'd not commit to it for my main e-mail, but I like it for newsletters and as an "adjunct brain" to send reminders to myself.
ilovejesus99
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9b)

August 29, 2007
8:54 PM

Post #3914850

I use mine all the time. This is funny but it says I have 91 invitations. ANYONE???

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

August 30, 2007
2:16 AM

Post #3916198

I'm finding I don't use it much. had hotmail for 10 yrs now... but some days i get so ticked at microsoft and hotmail that i'm ready to ditch it for gmail... but i'm not used to the interface and find it clunky. [but obviously, since i dont use it much, i'm not used to it]

I also use comcast, yahoo and thunderbird [wont use outlook]

i tend to use thunderbird for outgoing mail, not incoming.
heycharlie
San Jacinto County, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 31, 2007
6:20 AM

Post #3920607

Gmail;
& so much more:
http://mail.google.com/mail/help/about_whatsnew.html
-
http://gmailblog.blogspot.com/?utm_source=us-en-gmnav&utm_medium=et&utm_content=gmnav
-
http://www.google.com/support/

If you have a gmail account your sign in and password will open all these sites & services:
http://www.google.com/support/bin/static.py?page=alpha_index.html
-
A-Z

charlie
Horseshoe
Efland, NC
(Zone 7a)

September 1, 2007
1:21 AM

Post #3923814

heycharlie(!)...'bout merry ol' time you showed up.

Haven't seen you for a while.

Hope the gardening season was (is) good to ya!

Shoe
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

September 1, 2007
5:12 AM

Post #3924520

Well, how nifty is that page creator? Google is so slick. :) I love their stuff!
heycharlie
San Jacinto County, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 15, 2007
6:41 AM

Post #3977174

Hey Shoe,
-
"heycharlie(!)...'bout merry ol' time you showed up.
Haven't seen you for a while.
Hope the gardening season was (is) good to ya!
Shoe"

Thank ye kindly Mr Horseshoe.
Love tha way ya got your name!
-
Yes to this year. Spg. was good to us.

I have some problems with Diabetics & BP but its ok.
Today I was at the VA Hospital in Houston:
http://www.visualdxhealth.com/adult/keratoacanthoma.htm
-
How to say enough about those fine people!

They worked on my hand.
I ask the one Purty Doc that done tha cutting if she would do me a favor?
-
I need to change oil, filter and air breather on my tractor. If I have this bobo, mention to my wife here, she should do it!

Oh well!
Said she would ask for me ta have the day off.
-
Haha
Tomorrow I work on tha tractor!

cjolene
Emporia, KS
(Zone 5b)

September 16, 2007
12:03 AM

Post #3979453

Hope I'm not bursting any bubbles, but you can sign up without invitations now.

This message was edited Sep 15, 2007 7:07 PM
heycharlie
San Jacinto County, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 16, 2007
6:43 AM

Post #3980560

Haha
Naw to bursting bubbles.

Here is how to get your own Gmail account:
http://tinyurl.com/yt3rgz

charlie

Hasn't always been so ya know!

This message was edited Sep 16, 2007 1:48 AM
JenJenna

September 17, 2007
3:24 AM

Post #3983664

Dang.. and I thought I was all cool with my 96 invitations, lol.

I love Gmail. I sign up for freebies all day long, with my regular Gmail account. I just now looked so I'm not exaggerating but I got 5337 spam emails since August 14th... all went directly to the spam folder.
2pugdogs
(Linda) Winfield, KS
(Zone 6a)

September 17, 2007
8:23 PM

Post #3985915

I love my gmail account. I send everything to it that I want to save. Because if something would go wrong with the computer and I would happen to loose everything in my incredimail acct. I would be lost. Or loose anything on the computer it is good for a back up.
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

September 18, 2007
12:07 AM

Post #3986620

The only thing I dislike about Gmail is the inability to sort columns by header like date, subject or sender. They say to just search for one of the senders, for instance, but that doesn't always cut it for you. I don't know why they won't add what is so basic and widespread a function.
Hostanquilts
Tremont, IL
(Zone 5b)

September 21, 2007
12:01 AM

Post #3999093

2 pugdogs,
You mention that you use incredimail - could you enlighten me as to how it works? Is it just a software similar to Outlook Express or do they have a mail server that holds your emails until you download them to your pc?
TIA,
Jan in Central Illinois
2pugdogs
(Linda) Winfield, KS
(Zone 6a)

September 21, 2007
1:17 PM

Post #4001215

No it is a program that takes the place of Outlook Express. I have used it for years and really like it.
Hostanquilts
Tremont, IL
(Zone 5b)

September 21, 2007
8:18 PM

Post #4002686

Ok, thanks. We use Outlook Express, but are going to change ISP providers & the new one doesn't have an email service. Guess I'll have to use hotmail or something else.
Jan
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

September 22, 2007
5:02 AM

Post #4004246

Jan, what ISP are you switching to that doesn't have e-mail?

Give Gmail a whirl if you have to use a web-based e-mail. It has great spam filtering and makes organizing and finding your e-mails quick and easy.
Hostanquilts
Tremont, IL
(Zone 5b)

September 22, 2007
2:09 PM

Post #4004618

We drove to Alaska this summer & got a Verizon Wireless modem for our laptop & it is so much faster then the dial up ISP that we've had for the past 10 years that we've decided that when it runs out in Dec., that we'll just use the V. W. for our internet use. They do not have email service. I can send emails thru them, but they do not have an inbox service.

I have yahoo & Hotmail that I've used when I need to give an email address when on the internet or signup for something, where I didn't want to give our ISP email addy. Of the 2, I like Hotmail the best. Yahoo's spam filter needs some work.

I've heard about Gmail, but haven't checked it out. Guess I'll have to do that before our contract runs out with our current ISP.

GW, I hope things are well with you & yours. It was good to hear from you. I sure miss going to the KY reunions, but they switched it to a date that doesn't work for me.

Have a great weekend,
Jan
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

September 22, 2007
7:30 PM

Post #4005706

We missed ya, too!

Hey, Verizon must have something in the workings -- look at this: http://webmail.verizon.net/signin/

That said, you're probably better off going with a third-party e-mail address since you won't have to update your contacts if you switch to another ISP in the future. Many of them support POP3, downloading to your computer via Outlook Express or Thunderbird -- any number of e-mail programs. Gmail works well for this and does not charge anything for such access.

This message was edited Sep 22, 2007 3:34 PM
Hostanquilts
Tremont, IL
(Zone 5b)

September 23, 2007
2:03 AM

Post #4006805

that verizon is the landline company, not the verizon wireless. I'll have to contact verizon wireless & see if they might be able to set it up so that the verizon wireless customers can use the verizon.net webmail.

Jan
ilovejesus99
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9b)

December 26, 2007
5:51 AM

Post #4327469

Not anymore a few months back you did. It was a test run and now it is open to all.
Hostanquilts
Tremont, IL
(Zone 5b)

December 26, 2007
9:36 PM

Post #4329083

What I did, I contacted the company that we had our dial up service with to see if they had just an email service that we could use with our Verizon Wireless & they did for just $5 a month. That worked for us, that way didn't have to change any email addresses.
Jan in Central Illinois
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

December 26, 2007
9:54 PM

Post #4329128

If you want to pay $5/mo instead of notifying folks of a new, permanent e-mail address, more power to ya, Jan! :D
Hostanquilts
Tremont, IL
(Zone 5b)

December 28, 2007
12:08 AM

Post #4332657

It's a long story.. as to why we didn't change
Jan
speckledpig
Satsuma, AL
(Zone 8b)

December 28, 2007
12:12 AM

Post #4332673

Another vote for Gmail/Google Talk here.

I am [my user name] at gmail.com.

David

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Computer Talk Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Hotmail help Calalily 13 Jul 17, 2008 11:51 AM
Screen Capture Programs holty 16 Feb 8, 2010 2:13 AM
This 'problem' is driving me nuts! hczone6 10 Feb 11, 2014 4:24 PM
Laptop recommendations Gwendalou 10 Jul 30, 2007 10:12 PM
Free software heycharlie 8 May 31, 2007 3:02 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America