Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Welcome Mat: New kid on the site!

Communities > Forums > Welcome Mat
bookmark
Forum: Welcome MatReplies: 12, Views: 227
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Ella
Seale, AL
(Zone 8a)

June 19, 2001
10:32 PM

Post #6821

Hello Everybody! Nice to meet you. I am mainly into growing various spider plants. I would like to know if anybody has info on hybridizing them. I also grow boston ferns and want to start propagating the "NERD" plant (Brazillian Plume) . I'm Suzy's neighbor and she introduced me to this site. Really nice. Thanks. Ella

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

June 19, 2001
11:02 PM

Post #84868

Ella, we're very glad to have you here! Now by spider plant, do you mean Spiderwort/Tradescantia, or Spider Plant/Cleome hasselerana? Or something else entirely? You've got me curious now...
Ella
Seale, AL
(Zone 8a)

June 19, 2001
11:37 PM

Post #84891

I was referring to Chlorophytum comosum, but some people call them airplane plants. Til I came to the south I had never heard them called that before. I have three varieties now. I saw a different leaf the other day and hope to get it soon. I want to take the narrow solid green leaf variety and propagate it somehow with the broad white on green variety but I don't know where to even try to begin. Can you help me please?

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

June 20, 2001
1:31 AM

Post #84919

Oh yeah! Airplane plants, houseplants that send out the little "babies" that hang off the mother plant? Guess I never thought about their common name being unique to the South, but maybe it is.

Sorry, I can't help you - I am the KISS OF DEATH to houseplants. Can grow lots of things outdoors, but indoors, the only thing I managed to keep alive for more than five minutes was mother-in-law's tongue (what a terrible name) and pothos - can you kill a pothos even if you try?

At any rate, you might post a question on the houseplants forum and/or the propagation forum, and I bet you'll get someone to answer your questions!
Go_vols/Terry
dave

June 20, 2001
1:41 AM

Post #84925

Hi Ella, I can't help with the spider plants, but I just wanted to welcome you to DG!

Dave
Trish
Jacksonville, TX
(Zone 8b)

June 20, 2001
1:59 AM

Post #84937

Ella.

A big welcome to Dave's Garden! I love spider plants as well, although I have no idea how to hybridize them...I get enjoyment out of just rooting all of the babies :)

There are wonderful and helpful people on the "houseplants" forum- check it out!!

Welcome to the Garden!!

Trish
(Dave's wife)
notmartha
Bay City, MI
(Zone 6a)

June 20, 2001
2:30 AM

Post #84958

hey ella,
welcome to davesgarden-have fun-we do!!! =]

paulgrow

paulgrow
Allen Park, MI
(Zone 6a)

June 20, 2001
8:12 AM

Post #85020

Welcome Ella from a Michigan Master Gardener

Enjoy DG's

Paul
Amari
Austin, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 26, 2001
10:00 PM

Post #87343

Welcome Ella - spider plants are cool and one of the few things I was successful at growing in my brown thumb past. But that's all behind me now that I know about Dave's Garden :) Welcome, I know you'll love it here. I've only seen two varieties before - could you post a picture of yours sometime?

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

June 26, 2001
11:58 PM

Post #87384

Welcome from west KY!
I'm an outside grower too,but we're glad you're here!
Lilith
Durham
United Kingdom
(Zone 8a)

June 27, 2001
7:58 AM

Post #87501

welcome from a fellow spider plant grower here in the uk, id never heard of them called airplane plants before, but i think theyre really pretty and would like to know how you get on with hibridising them, ive no clue how to do it, mind, but i'm sure someone out there will know, theyre a very helpful lot!

lil
mikepiper
Circleville, OH
(Zone 8b)

July 2, 2001
1:04 PM

Post #89323

Welcome to DG,new here myself.
Mike
Sis

July 6, 2001
12:08 AM

Post #90858

Hi Ella and welcome to DG' One of my favorite and easiest to grow,spiders' Have mine outside for summer,then back in for winter,can't kill'm,LOL'' Lookin' forward to your posts'Sis''

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Welcome Mat Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Introduction pearl 12 Jun 14, 2007 3:08 PM
Louisiana crawdad360 26 May 21, 2009 4:35 PM
Hi Everyone.... From the Chesapeake Bay Area Chesapeake 11 Jun 15, 2008 4:12 PM
Greetings from NE Kansas! azurebloom 11 Sep 29, 2008 1:04 AM
Hello from the Caribbean knotimpaired 14 Sep 3, 2007 7:03 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America