Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Texas Gardening: Texas Sage wanted badly

Communities > Forums > Texas Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Texas GardeningReplies: 13, Views: 177
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Abbyflower
Big Bear City, CA

January 11, 2005
6:27 AM

Post #1232303

Hello,

I am new to the membership and am trying to locate Leucophyllum frutescens also known as Texas Sage or Texas Ranger. It is native to TX.

I live in the high dessert in California where the temps range from 0 to 100. This plant looks like it might just be the ticket for me.

Can ya'll help me find one?

Thanks,

Abby
eyesoftexas
Toadsuck, TX
(Zone 7a)

January 12, 2005
1:37 PM

Post #1234076

Catch me in the spring, Abby...got plenty. Be prepared, as it reseeds like crazy!

"eyes"
sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 13, 2005
11:29 AM

Post #1235568

Me too??? Please "Eyes".
The smell of it and Marigolds for some reason jerk my memories back to my childhood.
Any root vegetable grow in Hale County also does this and blooming cotton too.
Little Mini trips back to Texas.
Sidney
salvia_lover
Modi'in
Israel

January 13, 2005
1:03 PM

Post #1235661

eyes mine has never reseeded. I have 4 bushes of it and it stays put. I wonder if mine is a sterile type?

-Julie
eyesoftexas
Toadsuck, TX
(Zone 7a)

January 13, 2005
7:51 PM

Post #1236309

Sure sugarweed...jog my memory in April.

"eyes"
seedpicker_TX
(Taylor) Plano, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 14, 2005
2:07 AM

Post #1236897

HI!
I have two in one gallon containers that I bought last year, and decided not to plant. I'd be more than willing to trade them for a CA plant indicative to your area!
Let me know!
Two California plants that I've been on a hunt for are distictis laxiflora and distictis rivers...
-Taylor
Abbyflower
Big Bear City, CA

January 18, 2005
7:38 PM

Post #1244945

Hi Taylor... how do?

These are beutifull vines... I use to grow them when I lived in Redondo Beach. I hate to tell you this, but I think they may be way out of your zone.

Are you going to grow them in a greenhouse?

I am sure I can get one for you in the spring.

What zone are you in?

Just for your info... if they are happy they are as beautifull as the pictures and a very healthy plant.

Abby
seedpicker_TX
(Taylor) Plano, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 18, 2005
7:48 PM

Post #1244955

hi Abby-
I am in zone 8. (With shredded leaf mulch, and bark mulch on top of that, I am zone 9/10, lol...)

I really have zone envy(lol), and frequently am able to push my zone by mulching and/or planting near a warm brick wall, and such...
With things WAY beyond my reach, I plant them in the ground, inside my greenhouse...

The d. rivers, is more beautiful than the laxiflora, in pictures, but the vanilla fragrance of the laxiflora makes it just as(or even more) appealing!

If you do find them for sale, please let me know, and I'll try to arrange something for you, if you'll pick one up for me.

I have a tentative trade right now working for someone willing to pick one up, but the Anderson's she goes to, is still out of them...

-T
Abbyflower
Big Bear City, CA

January 18, 2005
8:24 PM

Post #1245003

Ok Taylor,

Give me a ring around spring... I will be starting up a nursery for a new company up here in Big Bear and I am sure that in my journeys I will come accross the distictis' you want.

You do realize that this plants requires a moist atmosphere ah what the heck... I've found that if I want a plant bad enough I can usually make it work!!

Thus so with my beloved Rehmannia elata.

Abby
seedpicker_TX
(Taylor) Plano, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 18, 2005
11:39 PM

Post #1245333

Ah, yes,... rehmannia are very nice, and such BRIGHT cerise...

well, if they get put in the greenhouse, it is pretty moist in there! lol...
Abbyflower
Big Bear City, CA

January 18, 2005
11:47 PM

Post #1245350

LOL...you have a point there my friend.
seedpicker_TX
(Taylor) Plano, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 30, 2005
6:06 PM

Post #1265560

Abbyflower-
are you still wanting the sage? I have two of the silver ones in 3 gallon pots. I would be happy to send them to you.
We don't even have to do a trade. I'd be happy to just get what I paid for them, back. I bought them when they were one gallons, now they are 3 gallons.
thanks.
-Taylor
Abbyflower
Big Bear City, CA

January 31, 2005
2:48 AM

Post #1266531

Hey Taylor,

Yes I am interested. 3 Gallons though that's a lot of weight to ship. How would you package them? And how would I pay you? Email me at burksabby@yahoo.com and we will be able to figure all this out.

I was wondering, since you are not asking for anything back, if you would like two or three seeds of Dolichos lablab. They are pretty exquiset annuals. And though I don't have many seeds, I would be willing to send you 2 or 3... they are hardy.

So let me know my friend!!

Abby
seedpicker_TX
(Taylor) Plano, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 31, 2005
11:50 AM

Post #1266876

sent mail
-T

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Texas Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
who grows peonies in houston area? vossner 20 Jun 18, 2012 7:58 PM
Texas Invasives List PvillePlanter 18 Mar 14, 2014 5:34 PM
Anyone Up For A Chat? dstartz 29 Jun 30, 2007 5:44 PM
DGrs in SW houston vossner 5 Dec 29, 2013 2:55 PM
Mock Orange in a big pot? mkjones 21 Aug 15, 2011 1:29 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America