Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Roses: Black Spot....Help!

Communities > Forums > Roses
bookmark
Forum: RosesReplies: 5, Views: 357
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
eyesoftexas
Toadsuck, TX
(Zone 7a)

June 20, 2001
1:54 AM

Post #6830

Any of you other areas that are getting a thorough drenching getting Black Spot on your roses? Does anyone have a solution to this problem, short of cutting back the affected area?

paulgrow

paulgrow
Allen Park, MI
(Zone 6a)

June 20, 2001
8:18 AM

Post #85021

Get yourself a good fungicide such as FUNGINEX or DACONIL or IMMUNEX. If your into Organic you can make your own Mix 2TB Baking Soda,1 TB Liquid dishsoap and 1 gallon water Spray on a regular basis.

Good Luck

Paul

This message was edited Wednesday, Jun 20th 4:19 AM
sunflower
Olive Branch, MS
(Zone 7b)

June 22, 2001
5:51 PM

Post #85894

Fungicides only work preventively not curatively, so you need to start a spray program when the leaves are still healthy, before they start to show symptoms. Once BS is present, the best you can hope for is to begin spraying, and keep up the feeding and watering to encourage the rose to produce new growth that will be protected against disease by your spray program. If you can find it, Fertilome's Systemic Fungicide is a homowner friendly size version of BannerMaxx, one of the more effective fungicides to be introduced recently. Alternate that with Mancozeb, and your roses should be able keep their new foliage clean.
eyesoftexas
Toadsuck, TX
(Zone 7a)

June 26, 2001
4:35 PM

Post #87196

Thank you everyone. I will and have implemented the spraying regime. This is the first year that I have encountered such a problem with my roses, and I do love my roses...

Jerrie
ncrosedude
Franklinton, NC
(Zone 7b)

June 26, 2001
7:36 PM

Post #87263

I live in the blackspot capital of the world - the north central piedmont of North Carolina. I have a preventive spray receipe that I have been using for 2 years that is flawless for controlling blackspot and insects (it came from my rose company - wear protective gloves and clothing when using). Mix 2 tablespoons of 50% Captan and 1 tablespoon of Halt systemic fungicide in a half cup of water. Put half gallon of water in sprayer and add mixture. Add one half tablespoon of slicker spreader and 3 tablespoons of Orthene systemic insecticide. Make up to one gallon. Mix and spray. Start spraying every 7 to 10 days in the spring as soon as you have 2 inches of new growth. Make fresh mix each time. Do not spray if the ambient air temperature is over 85 degrees Fahrenheit - it can burn the foliage. I have only had blackspot on 2 roses out of 100 - those 2 roses were purchased this spring and were infected when I bought them and they, of course, are being sprayed weekly with all the rest. I remove all contaminated foliage as it comes off the rose or pull it off. To have great roses, you must make a commitment to spray once a week. An hour a week is not too much to ask in repayment for the joy and satisfaction achieved from a beautiful bed of your favorite roses. And please forgive my longwindedness.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Roses Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
A Rose Bush Called Betty Boop Carol7 20 Jun 5, 2014 10:15 AM
Rose Hip/Seed Question Bloomer 7 Oct 23, 2009 10:35 PM
I Maimed my Zepherine Droughin Climber! :o( gardenwife 20 Jul 30, 2012 11:17 AM
Bayer Rose & Flower Care paulgrow 27 Sep 19, 2012 6:34 AM
Any such thing as a blue rose? discodancer4 11 Mar 7, 2010 11:06 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America