Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Accessible Gardening: Requesting 'gardening dispite physical limitations' info.

Communities > Forums > Accessible Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Accessible GardeningReplies: 20, Views: 238
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
jessamine
Fort Wayne, IN
(Zone 5a)

January 13, 2005
8:40 PM

Post #1236394

I am a Master Gardener and I pass on lots of info in response to inquiries on the phone hotline. Since I am not personally 'disabled' I don't really have a good handle on just what works and what doesn't and I find it difficult to locate good published information on the little details and practicalities that work in real life. There is a disconnect between the people wanting to garden and the people who are trying to help. What I need to know is what tools work if you have trouble grasping a handle, what is a good height for raised beds, how do you get from one end of the garden path to the other without getting stuck. If you have a chair or scooter, how do you use it and what problems come up? If you are using a walker, how do you carry your tools? How do you keep the walker from sinking in the soil? I don't need to know the statistics on how many gardeners are disabled or why. I just need to know what problems they run into and how they solve them.
Just what are the everyday problems and how do you deal with them? I have always found it difficult to ask the questions face to face because sometimes people feel they are being humored or feel uncomfortable about the whole thing and they feel embarrassed and I feel embarrassed and the info gets lost or filtered.Sometimes, I don't even know the questions to ask. I'm not a social worker or trying to make someone feel good. I just want to get the right info to people who are frustrated and don't want to give up something they love.
Thanks for your input. Jessamine

This thread has 20 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. Take a tour of our site and learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!

Other Accessible Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
abled fighters dpmichael 13 Sep 28, 2009 1:31 AM
Gardening with a bad knee Bug_Girl 13 Aug 28, 2009 4:26 PM
"Enabled" vs. "Disabled" Gardeners Shirley1md 40 Apr 8, 2007 6:29 PM
a gardening poem debi_z 43 Jun 17, 2013 4:59 AM
pneumatic seat for gardening debi_z 31 Jun 30, 2009 2:48 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America