Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Plant Identification: SOLVED: Please help with wildflower?

Communities > Forums > Plant Identification
bookmark
Forum: Plant IdentificationReplies: 5, Views: 158
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

June 20, 2001
3:43 AM

Post #6836

I obtained these from an empty lot near my parents home in SE Nebraska. Any ideas as to what it is? Stem is NOT squre, but round (rules out mint family, doesn't it?) Leaves are opposite and serrated. Flower is a nice blue/lavender color. Plants are about 2' tall, which I would guess is pretty near to full height at maturity.

Blooming last week, so early summer blooms. Thanks!

Thumbnail by Terry
Click the image for an enlarged view.

poppysue
Westbrook, ME
(Zone 5a)

June 20, 2001
9:21 AM

Post #85024

The flowers are hard to see but it looks like it could be blue vervain (verbena hastata) to me. http://davesgarden.com/edittl/showimage.php?iid=68

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

June 20, 2001
1:05 PM

Post #85055

PoppySue, thank you for helping me!!!!

You know, I thought it might be a verbena, but it has a round stem (I just went out and double checked, because I never quite trust my memory:) It has very slight ridges all around, but definitely not square.

Here's a link to my journal, where I posted a slightly closer shot of the flowers: http://davesgarden.com/editgj/showimage.php?iid=1830

If it's possible for a verbena to have a round stem, then I think we're on the right track, but the flowers on your photo of V. hastata are too dark, these were definitely more of a periwinkle blue to lavender shade. Any more ideas?
poppysue
Westbrook, ME
(Zone 5a)

June 20, 2001
9:43 PM

Post #85238

Vols do you have the plants your looking at or did you just take a cutting from the wild plants. I went out to check mine. The stems are round towards the top and have ridges that are more defined as it gets closer to the base. At the base of the plant they appear more square. I'm thinking if you just clipped a piece of the top growth it may very well appear round.

I started my plants a few years ago from seeds bought at Johnny's. It might be an "improved" variety compared to the wild plants. That may explain the darker color. I know there also is a white variety. The flowers are tiny and tubular growing in whorls around the pencil-like stems.

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

June 20, 2001
10:20 PM

Post #85257

Sue, you are amazing! I did dig the whole plants, and just snapped the pictures of the top, trying to get as much detail as possible. When I felt the stem previously, I was only handling it directly beneath the flower stem.

Now maybe it's wishful thinking on my part, but the stems DO feel more squared near the base - actually right beneath the second set of leaves is where they becomes more pronounced. Looking at some other photos, I'm wondering if perhaps I have the V. officinalis instead of V. hastata - perhaps it would explain the resemblance in growth and flowering habit, and the color variation?

Thanks so much for your help!!!!
poppysue
Westbrook, ME
(Zone 5a)

June 20, 2001
11:50 PM

Post #85285

Yes it may very well be v.officinalis. This is very good picture here- http://www.csdl.tamu.edu/FLORA/schoepke/Pio00619.jpg

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Plant Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Help with identification of this shrub dave 86 Nov 11, 2013 6:20 PM
SOLVED: Can Anyone Help Gayl 9 Jun 23, 2014 4:57 AM
SOLVED: help identify herb seeds????? dignbloom 6 Nov 4, 2010 8:08 PM
SOLVED: Mystery perennial dave 19 May 28, 2010 1:24 PM
SOLVED: Name my aloe??? tom1953 21 Jul 15, 2012 1:32 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America