Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Plant Identification: SOLVED: Is this Viper's Bugloss (Echium vulgare)?

Communities > Forums > Plant Identification
bookmark
Forum: Plant IdentificationReplies: 3, Views: 109
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

June 20, 2001
3:50 AM

Post #6837

That was the only thing that made sense to me. But I know a lot of ya'll have a LOT more expertise in wildflowers (weeds?) than I do. This was also obtained last week from an empty lot in SE Nebraska.

The "hummingbird moths" (moths with hummingbird-like snouts) were going crazy over a field of this plant. It's hard to see from the photo, but the flowers are blue with electric purple stamens. Have hairy (almost prickly) stems, and basal rosette leaves. Leaves are long, smooth (not serrated) and hairy like the stems.

It was in full bloom in early June, and was about 2' tall. Plants have long taproot, and were most frequently found in clumps of 2-3 stems.

Thumbnail by Terry
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Baa

June 20, 2001
6:33 AM

Post #85018

Yes Echium vulgare or vipers bugloss, a very valuable nectar plant but tends to be biennial so save seeds

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

June 20, 2001
1:07 PM

Post #85056

Baa, that's what I was afraid of when I read the descriptions of it. The plant was at its height of flowering when I removed it, and of course the flowers have wilted from transplanting. Maybe I can talk my mom into collecting some seeds in a few weeks. Do you have any seed-collecting tips/hints I could pass along to her? (This would be a first for her.) Thanks!!!!
Baa

June 20, 2001
7:59 PM

Post #85188

Yes wear gloves! LOL

I'm not really kidding the spines are very sharp. The seeds are large and black and each flower only porduces one seed but because of the profusion of flowers amount shouldn't be a problem. Sow the seeds as soon as you can, the fresher the better and give them a well drained site, they hate wet roots. If you sow them as soon as you get them you should have plants blooming this time next year if you spring sow them you will have to wait another year.

The are a wonderful plant and once used as an antidote to viper's venom (we have vipers here in my part of England)but the efficacy has never been proved.

As the flowers have wilted take off the spikes and you may get them to bloom for a second year, they can be short lived perennials but not in my personal experience.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Plant Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Help with identification of this shrub dave 86 Nov 11, 2013 6:20 PM
SOLVED: Can Anyone Help Gayl 9 Jun 23, 2014 4:57 AM
SOLVED: help identify herb seeds????? dignbloom 6 Nov 4, 2010 8:08 PM
SOLVED: Mystery perennial dave 19 May 28, 2010 1:24 PM
SOLVED: Name my aloe??? tom1953 21 Jul 15, 2012 1:32 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America