The Epis Are Coming, The Epis Are Coming!! 2005

Northern California, CA

Oh I know it's a little early to start, wouldn't want to be accused of crying wolf! :-)

Last year I announced "The Epis Are Coming, The Epis Are Coming!!" on April 15th, but I thought I'd get an earlier start this year.

They are tiny, but they are there!

Never too early to check for snails and a dose of fish emulsion will be in order in just a few weeks.

2004 Thread:
"The Epis Are Coming, The Epis Are Coming!!"
http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/426034/

This message was edited Jan 22, 2005 3:06 PM

Thumbnail by Happenstance
San Diego, CA(Zone 10a)

I won't hold my breath just yet. I have not had much trouble with snails but the wet weather we had seems to have brought out the slugs. The nasty little things are everywhere. I am doing salt water patrol. The birds cannot handle them all. I wish the hummers ate them. I have enough hummers here to take out the population.

Modesto, CA(Zone 8b)

So Happenstance....I'm a tad chillier here than you are....but what is your spring custom regarding your epis? I really want mine to pop this year...DH did a wonderful thing and "surprised" me by cleaning the front porch...and mixed up my Epis...I MUST label them this year!!!

Fish emulsion....I was going to try VF-11 this year, but maybe not now. What else do you do for them? Thanx, K

Valley Village, CA

There is product called BLOOM that should work for you, follow the direction carefully, Ours flower here about Mother's Day. Norma

Northern California, CA

Hey K! (By the by, I love your screen name) -

My routine is pretty simple:

1. They live outside all year round. Our lows are 37 - 39 F for a few hours, for a few weeks each winter, with no frost. The Epis do sit in a sheltered corner of the patio with no cover above because of our heavy winds. They like to get cold but not frosted!

2. Bait for snails year round, if you skip a couple of times........the snails will get them everytime!

3. Fish emulsion, fish emulsion, fish emulsion. Pure and simple. It is cheap, easy to find, can be used everytime you water if you dilute it or put it on every couple of weeks during the growing season. Yes I have about 6 other kinds of fertilizer that would work including VF-11, Bloom, etc etc etc. My experience over the last couple of decades+ is that fish emulsion works best, better and like my grandson says, "Grandma, it's the bestest! (ice cream, toy, game.....whatever). Fish emulsion is the bestest in my book and I've used them all.

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

I'm back again to ooooooooh and aaaaaaah! ;)

Northern California, CA

I knew that would get your attention Lilypon! LOL

Modi'in, Israel

Candy, this is going to sound like a really REALLY stupid question, but what exactly IS fish emulsion? Living in a country where very little is labled in English, I need to know what is IN fish emulsion so I can ask for it at the garden center. Is it really made of fish parts? Fish bones? Fish oil? Or nothing fishy at all? LOL Inquiring minds want to know :-) Those little knobby things on the side are your epis already starting to get ready for blooming? I'm gonna have to go out and check mine to see if anything is happening.

-Julie

Northern California, CA

Oh it is definitely fishy! Although some have deordorizers in them, the "aroma" isn't that offensive for very long....a day or so. I buy it in the gallon size, lasts a very long time....a tablespoon or two to the gallon.

Here's an interesting article (probably more than you ever wanted to know about dead fish!):
http://www.rainyside.com/resources/fishfert.html

And a couple of links to the many vendors who sell fish emulsion:

http://www.territorial-seed.com/stores/1/Fish_Emulsion_2-4-0_5_P4256.cfm

http://homeharvest.com/alaskafishfertilizer.htm

Yes those little tiny knobby things will eventually blossom into things of wonder!

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

One warning about the fish emulsion! Animals love it! My dog will lick it up - off the bottle, the ground, the planter, etc. And talk about bad breath thereafter - icky, icky, icky! NO doggied kisses thank you very much! (I have to keep him out of the sunroom for several hours after I treat with fe.

Modi'in, Israel

Thanks for the terrific links Candy! I'll bring that info to the GC and see if I can make myself understood :-).

Do you use this on all of your succulents or just the Epis? 1-2tbls per gallon of water that you use to water the plants? So you give it to them on a regular basis, just very diluted? And all year or only in the growing season? Am I an annoying unsolicited student or WHAT!? LOL I've seen the pics of your Epis remember, so I just want to follow in your footsteps :-)

-Julie

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

I wouldn't miss this thread for anything Happenstance!

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Happenstance, that white flower is gorgeus! What is it?

Modi'in, Israel

Darius, I'd hazard a guess it's an Epiphyllym oxypetallum.....the mother of all Epis :-)....well in my book it's the prettiest Epi around....and to be more specific, it's the prettiest flower on the face ofthe earth....hands down. :-) But no one can tell me that ANY Epi isn't just plain gorgeous. Well, I suppose they could tell me that, but I wouldn't listen LOL

Can you tell I like it? ;-)

-Julie

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

I guess the view didn't make it look like my Epiphyllym oxypetallum, which has gotten to be of a good size now.

Northern California, CA

LOL Sequee......you are right about the animals & fish emulsion. I have very few houseplants anymore (what's the point they all end up outside or in the sunroom anyway), but the few I do have get fertilized and live outside for a few days while they de-odorize! Dogs are bad, but cats go nutso! And digging in potted indoor plants is a very bad habit for cats to get into.

Julie - I use very dilute fish emulsion on all my potted succulents......you have to go very easy and NOT go overboard. (Somewhere, probably several places, I've told the story of how a very heavy hand on some potted Jades one year, completely denuded them of leaves. :( They recovered, but were pretty ugly for several months!) I use 1/4 strength - probably 1/4-1/2 tablespoon to the gallon when doing the succulents. Gives them just the boost they need and lessens the need to replenish the potting soil quite as often. I do this throughout the growing season. This is for the general population of succulents, mainly in my greenhouse.....some of which venture out into the garden during the summer months. For the Epis I'm not as stingy with the fish emulsion.......1-2 Tablespoons to the gallon....you can almost see them grow and puff up. You can never ask too many questions about my Epis.......it's easy to talk about the success stories. :-)

Hi Lilypon - Just how COLD is it there today?????

darius - That is just a regular old Epi......just happens to be an extremely pretty one and a good sized bloom to boot. Here's a picture of the white ones, near the end of last season if I remember correctly.

Edited to add a link to some images from my Greenhouse. All the plants are labelled, but not all the images are .....because I got really lazy. :-)
http://www.ofoto.com/BrowsePhotos.jsp?UV=409061451979_79910555405&collid=72534582405&page=1&sort_order=0

This message was edited Jan 23, 2005 12:39 PM

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

We are at 32F (0C) today Happenstance.....supposed to drop again tomorrow (but we won't be anywhere near -52F Yeeeeeeehaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa) and the drop will only for a short while. Calgary is getting less stingy with its' chinooks lately! :D

Have the rains eased up in your area?

This message was edited Jan 23, 2005 7:11 PM

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

Happenstance, those are gorgeous! I have a red one that was blooming gorgeous in the summer outside and it did bloom again inside. I did get two small ones from Toronto's city conservatory when I went there for work. One is supposed to be pink and they weren't sure what color the other one is.
:) Donna

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

Well, that was a pretty awful experience, happenstance! Yes, yes it was!

You see, now I want them ALL - Yes, I do - I REALLY DO!!! How can a person live their entire life not knowing that something exists, then feel so cheated to discover there's been a whole world of beauty going on without them!

How many year has it taken you to collect so many? I am incredibly impressed (and evnious!)...thank you so much for sharing! I feel like I just took a walk through a very beautiful place!

Ventura, United States(Zone 10b)

Candy, congrats on your buds and thanks for bringing back that old thread with all those wonderful pictures. I will be checking them twice. Mine are newly rooted cuttings mostly, but some are one year old rooted plants so I will check on them just in case! Mine are outside all year as well. Thanks for the fish emulsion tip! You are the best!

Northern California, CA

LOL! I don't have very many kinds.......just the three large tubs that I've had for years and years (probably close to 25yrs) and a couple of other small ones recently acquired. Then I do have two baskets full of cuttings (maybe 15 kinds) that I bought last year at this time from Epi's by Pat. None of those have bloomed as yet and if they do bloom this year I will be most surprised!

Epi's by Pat
http://www.epies.net/

Here's an Epi Six-Pack

Hiya Clare - We must have been typing over each other......or else I just take a very long time to compose my thoughts! LOL

This message was edited Jan 23, 2005 3:12 PM

Northern California, CA

Well silly me I gave you the little tiny Six-Pack....here's the version you can actually see!

Ventura, United States(Zone 10b)

Wow, Candy, those are gorgeous flowers. I went and checked on mine, and I have some nubbies too! I even have one that is growing fast. Some are on cuttings that I just rooted this past summer!

Thumbnail by Clare_CA
Modesto, CA(Zone 8b)

No nubs for me yet....gee you made us all go look! LOL! Mine are looking pretty sad tho....I really need to check their soil and find a better place for them after they bloom this year....I think the frost got the edges....they are mad at me!

Northern California, CA

OK you are really gonna make me get up from here and go look to see what my cuttings are doing!!! It's so much effort but I suppose it's gotta be done! LOL

Modesto, CA(Zone 8b)

Happenstance...what is your fav soil mix for them?

Northern California, CA

Well, I have an unidentified Senecio that has burst into bloom, some snails hanging around in their death throes, a Sedum dendrobium that's grown a LOT since October, but no nubbies on the Epi cuttings. There is new growth and they all look healthy, so I won't give up on flowers this year quite yet.

As far as soil mix......I can tell you that any commercial cactus mix would be my preference, but then depending on what's on hand....that's what I usually use, mixed with some bark, gravel, sand, vermiculite or again...whatever is here. :-) I am not one who follows rules easily. They don't seem to mind as long as their feet aren't soggy and they get a regular dose of the fish stuff.

Modesto, CA(Zone 8b)

Thanks! :~D

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

Ok, recap here... Fish "stuff" well diluted - every time you water, or just during growing season. And how do you know it's gorwing season? Do they "tell" you, or is it a seasonal thing - like YOU tell THEM???

Northern California, CA

Fish stuff for the Epis is 1-2 Tablespoons per gallon of water. I use a watering can for fish stuff, rather than a hose end feeder or other advanced feeder. I like the control that an old fashioned watering can gives, better to get the food where it belongs than overspray it everywhere.

I feed the Epis every couple of weeks from the time it gets warm (like consistantly 65F or above during the day) until it starts to get cold (like consistantly below 50F during the day). They are well watered between feedings, never go bone dry.......I water twice a day during the hot months (80-110F).....some years that's Feb-Oct and some years it may be May-Nov.....just depends. (Unless we have an unseasonably dry winter, I never need to water during the rainy season Oct-March or so, because they get rained on.)

The "well diluted" (1/4 - 1/2 Tablespoon per gallon) fish stuff is for the general succulent population......that way I make sure I don't over do it. I feed the general succulents about once a month during the warm months (growing season doesn't really apply here, because a lot of succulents are winter growers). It is really just a lazy way of feeding them all at one time......I don't baby my plants. They either like the routine or NOT.

This message was edited Jan 23, 2005 5:15 PM

Modi'in, Israel

Candy, thanks again for all the great fishy info. I'm going to keep this thread bookmarked so I can find it again easily!

-Julie

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

YES, THANK YOU MUCH! (Dang that cap lock!) I printed the info to add to my looseleaf! I don't have any epi's yet, but it's just a silly little matter of time!

PS - I just have to share. When I moved from Hartford in 2000 my neighbor gave me a Christmas (?) Cactus as a going away present. This weekend, for the first time EVER I noticed buds!!! I am so psyched...just hope I don't scare them into withdrawals by staring them in the face 5 times a day! Can anyone tell me how long it takes from the first appearance of these VERY TINY buds to blossom???

Modesto, CA(Zone 8b)

Not long, but don't move it or do anything different than what you're doing. I will share some epi leaves with you when your weather warms up and after mine bloom so I can tell you which is which if you like Janice....

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

For 4 years the little bugger was sittiing in a choice spot on my plant stand - doing absolutely nada - then a DGer told me it was probably to warm there and suggested a sunny window in a cooler location - and voila! I'm blown away.

And you just know I would love some kachinagirl. Your goldens are all doing great! You'd be proud!

Modesto, CA(Zone 8b)

Your friend was right. They seem to like to cool off and have less light (shorter day) before they bloom. Can't wait to see the pics! And of course the Barrel Cactus love you!

Northern California, CA

Congrats on your CC buds! They are a lot like the Epis.....like/need to get cold to bloom properly. Here's a link to some info on my CC posted about a month ago:
http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/472088/

PS They like the fishy stuff too!

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

Wow! Those are really beauties! I'm afraid if you were to see mine you would LYAO! He's just a li'l bubber! Less than 2 dozen arms, about 8-9 of which have teensy buds. I don't even know what color the blossoms will be! This is so exciting.

I've been giving the Cactus Juice Cocktails - is f.e. better?

Modi'in, Israel

Sequee, no CC is too small to bloom. And I mean NONE! I have a 3 inch piece that I stuck into one of my Aeonium pots in September. And would you believe that that teeny little single cutting has TWO buds on it? I'm not sure if mine is a christmas cactus or a thanksgiving cactus or an easter cactus. It may be confused about the season. But whatever it is, it's pretty amazing that it's got buds on it LOL. I'll try to remember to get a pic of it tomorrow when the sun is out.

-Julie

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

Nothing like bragging, eh, Julie! LOL! That's great! I guess it's true what they say in Real Estate - It's all about LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION!!! Hmmm - i guess we need to name them Winter Cactus since they don't know from holidays!

Please - do take a photo. That way I can give my little guy a show and tell!

SUN??? What's that?

Modi'in, Israel

Sequee, we haven't had sun to speak of for a long time. Nothing but an hour or two here and there. But those buds showed up around the time I thought the cutting might be from a thanksgiving cactus. And the buds have grown little by little since they appeared, but doesn't show any signs of opening. If I remember right (too cold to go outside and check right now), one of the buds is significantly larger than the other one. So, I've got buds, but they've been there for 3 months!!!! LOL Unless it's raining tomorrow, I'll be sure to get a pic for you :-)

By the way, I'm not bragging. All *I* did was stick it in the ground. So I can't claim any responsibility for what's happening with it. I only watered it a handful of times as the rains started soon after it got stuck in that pot LOL.

-Julie

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.