Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Orchid Cactus: The Epis Are Coming, The Epis Are Coming!! 2005

Communities > Forums > Orchid Cactus
bookmark
Forum: Orchid CactusReplies: 182, Views: 1,555
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Happenstance
Northern California, CA

January 22, 2005
10:02 PM

Post #1252380

Oh I know it's a little early to start, wouldn't want to be accused of crying wolf! :-)

Last year I announced "The Epis Are Coming, The Epis Are Coming!!" on April 15th, but I thought I'd get an earlier start this year.

They are tiny, but they are there!

Never too early to check for snails and a dose of fish emulsion will be in order in just a few weeks.

2004 Thread:
"The Epis Are Coming, The Epis Are Coming!!"
http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/426034/

This message was edited Jan 22, 2005 3:06 PM

Thumbnail by Happenstance
Click the image for an enlarged view.

frogsrus
San Diego, CA
(Zone 10a)

January 22, 2005
10:36 PM

Post #1252438

I won't hold my breath just yet. I have not had much trouble with snails but the wet weather we had seems to have brought out the slugs. The nasty little things are everywhere. I am doing salt water patrol. The birds cannot handle them all. I wish the hummers ate them. I have enough hummers here to take out the population.
Kachinagirl
Modesto, CA
(Zone 8b)

January 23, 2005
12:41 AM

Post #1252631

So Happenstance...I'm a tad chillier here than you are...but what is your spring custom regarding your epis? I really want mine to pop this year...DH did a wonderful thing and "surprised" me by cleaning the front porch...and mixed up my Epis...I MUST label them this year!!!

Fish emulsion...I was going to try VF-11 this year, but maybe not now. What else do you do for them? Thanx, K
Crasulady2
Valley Village, CA

January 23, 2005
1:51 AM

Post #1252746

There is product called BLOOM that should work for you, follow the direction carefully, Ours flower here about Mother's Day. Norma
Happenstance
Northern California, CA

January 23, 2005
2:04 AM

Post #1252774

Hey K! (By the by, I love your screen name) -

My routine is pretty simple:

1. They live outside all year round. Our lows are 37 - 39 F for a few hours, for a few weeks each winter, with no frost. The Epis do sit in a sheltered corner of the patio with no cover above because of our heavy winds. They like to get cold but not frosted!

2. Bait for snails year round, if you skip a couple of times...the snails will get them everytime!

3. Fish emulsion, fish emulsion, fish emulsion. Pure and simple. It is cheap, easy to find, can be used everytime you water if you dilute it or put it on every couple of weeks during the growing season. Yes I have about 6 other kinds of fertilizer that would work including VF-11, Bloom, etc etc etc. My experience over the last couple of decades+ is that fish emulsion works best, better and like my grandson says, "Grandma, it's the bestest! (ice cream, toy, game...whatever). Fish emulsion is the bestest in my book and I've used them all.

Lilypon

Lilypon
Moose Jaw, SK
(Zone 3b)

January 23, 2005
3:05 AM

Post #1252875

I'm back again to ooooooooh and aaaaaaah! ;)
Happenstance
Northern California, CA

January 23, 2005
3:58 PM

Post #1253546

I knew that would get your attention Lilypon! LOL
salvia_lover
Modi'in
Israel

January 23, 2005
4:58 PM

Post #1253658

Candy, this is going to sound like a really REALLY stupid question, but what exactly IS fish emulsion? Living in a country where very little is labled in English, I need to know what is IN fish emulsion so I can ask for it at the garden center. Is it really made of fish parts? Fish bones? Fish oil? Or nothing fishy at all? LOL Inquiring minds want to know :-) Those little knobby things on the side are your epis already starting to get ready for blooming? I'm gonna have to go out and check mine to see if anything is happening.

-Julie
Happenstance
Northern California, CA

January 23, 2005
6:05 PM

Post #1253783

Oh it is definitely fishy! Although some have deordorizers in them, the "aroma" isn't that offensive for very long...a day or so. I buy it in the gallon size, lasts a very long time...a tablespoon or two to the gallon.

Here's an interesting article (probably more than you ever wanted to know about dead fish!):
http://www.rainyside.com/resources/fishfert.html

And a couple of links to the many vendors who sell fish emulsion:

http://www.territorial-seed.com/stores/1/Fish_Emulsion_2-4-0_5_P4256.cfm

http://homeharvest.com/alaskafishfertilizer.htm

Yes those little tiny knobby things will eventually blossom into things of wonder!

Sequee
Carmel, NY
(Zone 6b)

January 23, 2005
6:11 PM

Post #1253794

One warning about the fish emulsion! Animals love it! My dog will lick it up - off the bottle, the ground, the planter, etc. And talk about bad breath thereafter - icky, icky, icky! NO doggied kisses thank you very much! (I have to keep him out of the sunroom for several hours after I treat with fe.
salvia_lover
Modi'in
Israel

January 23, 2005
6:21 PM

Post #1253806

Thanks for the terrific links Candy! I'll bring that info to the GC and see if I can make myself understood :-).

Do you use this on all of your succulents or just the Epis? 1-2tbls per gallon of water that you use to water the plants? So you give it to them on a regular basis, just very diluted? And all year or only in the growing season? Am I an annoying unsolicited student or WHAT!? LOL I've seen the pics of your Epis remember, so I just want to follow in your footsteps :-)

-Julie

Lilypon

Lilypon
Moose Jaw, SK
(Zone 3b)

January 23, 2005
6:27 PM

Post #1253812

I wouldn't miss this thread for anything Happenstance!

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

January 23, 2005
6:38 PM

Post #1253834

Happenstance, that white flower is gorgeus! What is it?
salvia_lover
Modi'in
Israel

January 23, 2005
7:02 PM

Post #1253883

Darius, I'd hazard a guess it's an Epiphyllym oxypetallum...the mother of all Epis :-)...well in my book it's the prettiest Epi around...and to be more specific, it's the prettiest flower on the face ofthe earth...hands down. :-) But no one can tell me that ANY Epi isn't just plain gorgeous. Well, I suppose they could tell me that, but I wouldn't listen LOL

Can you tell I like it? ;-)

-Julie

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

January 23, 2005
7:04 PM

Post #1253888

I guess the view didn't make it look like my Epiphyllym oxypetallum, which has gotten to be of a good size now.
Happenstance
Northern California, CA

January 23, 2005
7:34 PM

Post #1253927

LOL Sequee...you are right about the animals & fish emulsion. I have very few houseplants anymore (what's the point they all end up outside or in the sunroom anyway), but the few I do have get fertilized and live outside for a few days while they de-odorize! Dogs are bad, but cats go nutso! And digging in potted indoor plants is a very bad habit for cats to get into.

Julie - I use very dilute fish emulsion on all my potted succulents...you have to go very easy and NOT go overboard. (Somewhere, probably several places, I've told the story of how a very heavy hand on some potted Jades one year, completely denuded them of leaves. :( They recovered, but were pretty ugly for several months!) I use 1/4 strength - probably 1/4-1/2 tablespoon to the gallon when doing the succulents. Gives them just the boost they need and lessens the need to replenish the potting soil quite as often. I do this throughout the growing season. This is for the general population of succulents, mainly in my greenhouse...some of which venture out into the garden during the summer months. For the Epis I'm not as stingy with the fish emulsion...1-2 Tablespoons to the gallon...you can almost see them grow and puff up. You can never ask too many questions about my Epis...it's easy to talk about the success stories. :-)

Hi Lilypon - Just how COLD is it there today?????

darius - That is just a regular old Epi...just happens to be an extremely pretty one and a good sized bloom to boot. Here's a picture of the white ones, near the end of last season if I remember correctly.

Edited to add a link to some images from my Greenhouse. All the plants are labelled, but not all the images are ...because I got really lazy. :-)
http://www.ofoto.com/BrowsePhotos.jsp?UV=409061451979_79910555405&collid=72534582405&page=1&sort_order=0

This message was edited Jan 23, 2005 12:39 PM

Lilypon

Lilypon
Moose Jaw, SK
(Zone 3b)

January 23, 2005
8:06 PM

Post #1253985

We are at 32F (0C) today Happenstance...supposed to drop again tomorrow (but we won't be anywhere near -52F Yeeeeeeehaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa) and the drop will only for a short while. Calgary is getting less stingy with its' chinooks lately! :D

Have the rains eased up in your area?

This message was edited Jan 23, 2005 7:11 PM
PerennialGirl
Winnipeg, MB
(Zone 4a)

January 23, 2005
9:16 PM

Post #1254087

Happenstance, those are gorgeous! I have a red one that was blooming gorgeous in the summer outside and it did bloom again inside. I did get two small ones from Toronto's city conservatory when I went there for work. One is supposed to be pink and they weren't sure what color the other one is.
:) Donna
Sequee
Carmel, NY
(Zone 6b)

January 23, 2005
9:48 PM

Post #1254136

Well, that was a pretty awful experience, happenstance! Yes, yes it was!

You see, now I want them ALL - Yes, I do - I REALLY DO!!! How can a person live their entire life not knowing that something exists, then feel so cheated to discover there's been a whole world of beauty going on without them!

How many year has it taken you to collect so many? I am incredibly impressed (and evnious!)...thank you so much for sharing! I feel like I just took a walk through a very beautiful place!
Clare_CA

(Zone 10b)

January 23, 2005
10:06 PM

Post #1254162

Candy, congrats on your buds and thanks for bringing back that old thread with all those wonderful pictures. I will be checking them twice. Mine are newly rooted cuttings mostly, but some are one year old rooted plants so I will check on them just in case! Mine are outside all year as well. Thanks for the fish emulsion tip! You are the best!
Happenstance
Northern California, CA

January 23, 2005
10:11 PM

Post #1254172

LOL! I don't have very many kinds...just the three large tubs that I've had for years and years (probably close to 25yrs) and a couple of other small ones recently acquired. Then I do have two baskets full of cuttings (maybe 15 kinds) that I bought last year at this time from Epi's by Pat. None of those have bloomed as yet and if they do bloom this year I will be most surprised!

Epi's by Pat
http://www.epies.net/

Here's an Epi Six-Pack

Hiya Clare - We must have been typing over each other...or else I just take a very long time to compose my thoughts! LOL

This message was edited Jan 23, 2005 3:12 PM

Happenstance
Northern California, CA

January 23, 2005
10:15 PM

Post #1254179

Well silly me I gave you the little tiny Six-Pack...here's the version you can actually see!

Clare_CA

(Zone 10b)

January 23, 2005
11:01 PM

Post #1254250

Wow, Candy, those are gorgeous flowers. I went and checked on mine, and I have some nubbies too! I even have one that is growing fast. Some are on cuttings that I just rooted this past summer!

Thumbnail by Clare_CA

Kachinagirl
Modesto, CA
(Zone 8b)

January 23, 2005
11:05 PM

Post #1254256

No nubs for me yet...gee you made us all go look! LOL! Mine are looking pretty sad tho...I really need to check their soil and find a better place for them after they bloom this year...I think the frost got the edges...they are mad at me!
Happenstance
Northern California, CA

January 23, 2005
11:06 PM

Post #1254258

OK you are really gonna make me get up from here and go look to see what my cuttings are doing!!! It's so much effort but I suppose it's gotta be done! LOL
Kachinagirl
Modesto, CA
(Zone 8b)

January 23, 2005
11:07 PM

Post #1254264

Happenstance...what is your fav soil mix for them?
Happenstance
Northern California, CA

January 23, 2005
11:27 PM

Post #1254307

Well, I have an unidentified Senecio that has burst into bloom, some snails hanging around in their death throes, a Sedum dendrobium that's grown a LOT since October, but no nubbies on the Epi cuttings. There is new growth and they all look healthy, so I won't give up on flowers this year quite yet.

As far as soil mix...I can tell you that any commercial cactus mix would be my preference, but then depending on what's on hand...that's what I usually use, mixed with some bark, gravel, sand, vermiculite or again...whatever is here. :-) I am not one who follows rules easily. They don't seem to mind as long as their feet aren't soggy and they get a regular dose of the fish stuff.
Kachinagirl
Modesto, CA
(Zone 8b)

January 23, 2005
11:29 PM

Post #1254312

Thanks! :~D
Sequee
Carmel, NY
(Zone 6b)

January 23, 2005
11:36 PM

Post #1254326

Ok, recap here... Fish "stuff" well diluted - every time you water, or just during growing season. And how do you know it's gorwing season? Do they "tell" you, or is it a seasonal thing - like YOU tell THEM???
Happenstance
Northern California, CA

January 24, 2005
12:14 AM

Post #1254398

Fish stuff for the Epis is 1-2 Tablespoons per gallon of water. I use a watering can for fish stuff, rather than a hose end feeder or other advanced feeder. I like the control that an old fashioned watering can gives, better to get the food where it belongs than overspray it everywhere.

I feed the Epis every couple of weeks from the time it gets warm (like consistantly 65F or above during the day) until it starts to get cold (like consistantly below 50F during the day). They are well watered between feedings, never go bone dry...I water twice a day during the hot months (80-110F)...some years that's Feb-Oct and some years it may be May-Nov...just depends. (Unless we have an unseasonably dry winter, I never need to water during the rainy season Oct-March or so, because they get rained on.)

The "well diluted" (1/4 - 1/2 Tablespoon per gallon) fish stuff is for the general succulent population...that way I make sure I don't over do it. I feed the general succulents about once a month during the warm months (growing season doesn't really apply here, because a lot of succulents are winter growers). It is really just a lazy way of feeding them all at one time...I don't baby my plants. They either like the routine or NOT.

This message was edited Jan 23, 2005 5:15 PM
salvia_lover
Modi'in
Israel

January 24, 2005
11:03 AM

Post #1254877

Candy, thanks again for all the great fishy info. I'm going to keep this thread bookmarked so I can find it again easily!

-Julie
Sequee
Carmel, NY
(Zone 6b)

January 24, 2005
3:07 PM

Post #1255182

YES, THANK YOU MUCH! (Dang that cap lock!) I printed the info to add to my looseleaf! I don't have any epi's yet, but it's just a silly little matter of time!

PS - I just have to share. When I moved from Hartford in 2000 my neighbor gave me a Christmas (?) Cactus as a going away present. This weekend, for the first time EVER I noticed buds!!! I am so psyched...just hope I don't scare them into withdrawals by staring them in the face 5 times a day! Can anyone tell me how long it takes from the first appearance of these VERY TINY buds to blossom???
Kachinagirl
Modesto, CA
(Zone 8b)

January 24, 2005
3:49 PM

Post #1255237

Not long, but don't move it or do anything different than what you're doing. I will share some epi leaves with you when your weather warms up and after mine bloom so I can tell you which is which if you like Janice...
Sequee
Carmel, NY
(Zone 6b)

January 24, 2005
3:59 PM

Post #1255254

For 4 years the little bugger was sittiing in a choice spot on my plant stand - doing absolutely nada - then a DGer told me it was probably to warm there and suggested a sunny window in a cooler location - and voila! I'm blown away.

And you just know I would love some kachinagirl. Your goldens are all doing great! You'd be proud!
Kachinagirl
Modesto, CA
(Zone 8b)

January 24, 2005
4:13 PM

Post #1255273

Your friend was right. They seem to like to cool off and have less light (shorter day) before they bloom. Can't wait to see the pics! And of course the Barrel Cactus love you!
Happenstance
Northern California, CA

January 24, 2005
4:31 PM

Post #1255300

Congrats on your CC buds! They are a lot like the Epis...like/need to get cold to bloom properly. Here's a link to some info on my CC posted about a month ago:
http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/472088/

PS They like the fishy stuff too!
Sequee
Carmel, NY
(Zone 6b)

January 24, 2005
5:59 PM

Post #1255467

Wow! Those are really beauties! I'm afraid if you were to see mine you would LYAO! He's just a li'l bubber! Less than 2 dozen arms, about 8-9 of which have teensy buds. I don't even know what color the blossoms will be! This is so exciting.

I've been giving the Cactus Juice Cocktails - is f.e. better?
salvia_lover
Modi'in
Israel

January 24, 2005
6:28 PM

Post #1255577

Sequee, no CC is too small to bloom. And I mean NONE! I have a 3 inch piece that I stuck into one of my Aeonium pots in September. And would you believe that that teeny little single cutting has TWO buds on it? I'm not sure if mine is a christmas cactus or a thanksgiving cactus or an easter cactus. It may be confused about the season. But whatever it is, it's pretty amazing that it's got buds on it LOL. I'll try to remember to get a pic of it tomorrow when the sun is out.

-Julie
Sequee
Carmel, NY
(Zone 6b)

January 24, 2005
7:23 PM

Post #1255673

Nothing like bragging, eh, Julie! LOL! That's great! I guess it's true what they say in Real Estate - It's all about LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION!!! Hmmm - i guess we need to name them Winter Cactus since they don't know from holidays!

Please - do take a photo. That way I can give my little guy a show and tell!

SUN??? What's that?
salvia_lover
Modi'in
Israel

January 24, 2005
8:55 PM

Post #1255796

Sequee, we haven't had sun to speak of for a long time. Nothing but an hour or two here and there. But those buds showed up around the time I thought the cutting might be from a thanksgiving cactus. And the buds have grown little by little since they appeared, but doesn't show any signs of opening. If I remember right (too cold to go outside and check right now), one of the buds is significantly larger than the other one. So, I've got buds, but they've been there for 3 months!!!! LOL Unless it's raining tomorrow, I'll be sure to get a pic for you :-)

By the way, I'm not bragging. All *I* did was stick it in the ground. So I can't claim any responsibility for what's happening with it. I only watered it a handful of times as the rains started soon after it got stuck in that pot LOL.

-Julie
Sequee
Carmel, NY
(Zone 6b)

January 24, 2005
9:39 PM

Post #1255861

OMG Julie - and they say the blossoms open quicky! Must be a cosmic clock. LOL!!! Your sun sounds like our - makes an obligatory appearance from time to time, just so we don't forget what it looks like!

Here's the BIG one! LOL!

Thumbnail by Sequee

Happenstance
Northern California, CA

January 25, 2005
3:57 AM

Post #1256484

Sequee, I'm sure any of the "Cactus Juice" concoctions will do just fine...my experience has shown that fish emulsion works best for me combined with my climate, garden habits and the plants that I cultivate. Try whatever you have and if you aren't pleased with the results try something else that rewards you with the results you are looking for. :-)

The buds on my "holiday" cacti start forming in September/October and depending on the season it will be Nov-Jan before the really start to bloom well. The buds take a long time and good conditions to really set well and make big blossoms. Some of the plants that were in full bloom for Christmas have been stripped of their spent blossoms and still have buds that are maturing and opening. Not as full as the initial flush, but still a nice bright spot in this dreary time of year.

This message was edited Jan 24, 2005 9:01 PM
salvia_lover
Modi'in
Israel

January 25, 2005
6:12 AM

Post #1256606

Sequee, here's my holiday cactus with 2 buds. You can see he's all of about 3 inches long. Definitely an ambitious little guy LOL.

-Julie

Thumbnail by salvia_lover

Sequee
Carmel, NY
(Zone 6b)

January 25, 2005
2:30 PM

Post #1256916

Oh, my! Your buds are BIG - now I'm really envious! He must be highly motivated!
salvia_lover
Modi'in
Israel

January 25, 2005
2:45 PM

Post #1256949

I think he thinks he's too big for his breeches. ;-) I'll let you know if they ever actually open. Isn't he funny though! One measly little piece that I found on the ground at the garden center...left on the top shelf of my bookshelf and forgotten for about 2 weeks, then stuck in the pot after being dipped in a bit of rooting hormone. And VOILA! The guy seems not to care about all the hail and rain and cold and rain and rain and cold and a bit of sunshine and rain and hail...you get the picture. He doesn't care...just keeps right on putting energy into those buds. LOL

-Julie
Sequee
Carmel, NY
(Zone 6b)

January 25, 2005
2:56 PM

Post #1256967

Makes you wonder how the REST of the plants is doing!?!
salvia_lover
Modi'in
Israel

January 25, 2005
5:04 PM

Post #1257333

The rest are dotted with little white marks from the hail (nothing too serious) but otherwise also seem not to mind the cold and wet. Nothing is rotting at least LOL.

-Julie
Sequee
Carmel, NY
(Zone 6b)

January 25, 2005
5:10 PM

Post #1257344

That was a typo there. I was really wondering how the rest of the Epi must be if the the one fallen branch is doing so well! Either someone got an awesome bloomer, or you got the one good arm!

This message was edited Jan 25, 2005 1:11 PM
salvia_lover
Modi'in
Israel

January 25, 2005
5:11 PM

Post #1257347

ROTFL...yeah, maybe all the "bloom juice" got pumped into that one arm before it fell off LOL

-Julie
Sequee
Carmel, NY
(Zone 6b)

January 25, 2005
5:30 PM

Post #1257372

Lucky you! (I can't stop laughing - I'm picturing this little fella jumping off - "somebody take me away from all of this"! Too funny!)
Happenstance
Northern California, CA

February 3, 2005
8:05 PM

Post #1271623

Not much new to report on the coming of the Epis, but I did take a shot of the cuttings I ordered a year ago. Most of these were pretty small unrooted cuttings at that time. So a year later here they are, overwintered in the greenhouse, no sign of buds yet.

Happenstance
Northern California, CA

March 16, 2005
7:27 PM

Post #1342275

Just an update on the progress of some of the Epis.

Lilypon

Lilypon
Moose Jaw, SK
(Zone 3b)

March 16, 2005
7:35 PM

Post #1342288

:D
Clare_CA

(Zone 10b)

March 17, 2005
3:57 AM

Post #1343171

Neat, Candy. Thanks for the update. I have one about to bloom also. I'll post here when it does.
salvia_lover
Modi'in
Israel

March 17, 2005
3:46 PM

Post #1343967

Show off!!! ;-) ROTFLMAO I have only a single bud. I thought when this one just starting showing it's head that there were a few other spots that might turn into buds, but I was wrong. Oh well. I'm happy to have even this one bud though :-)

-Julie

Sequee
Carmel, NY
(Zone 6b)

March 17, 2005
4:09 PM

Post #1344001

Very nice, Ladies!
Clare_CA

(Zone 10b)

March 17, 2005
6:31 PM

Post #1344382

Here are my only ones this year:

Thumbnail by Clare_CA

salvia_lover
Modi'in
Israel

March 17, 2005
6:43 PM

Post #1344424

Clare, well you've got 4 that I can see...and one of those is pretty tiny compared to the others, so maybe you'll have some more come out still. In any case, it looks like all those different sizes means more than one night of queen's visits for you :-)

-Julie
Clare_CA

(Zone 10b)

March 17, 2005
6:54 PM

Post #1344449

Hi Julie! Yours look great too! I see that you might have a little one coming in on the other side? These are the colored day-blooming ones. I think they are supposed to be a fragrant orange lavender. I've heard that most of the colored ones are not fragrant so it should be interesting to see if this is indeed fragrant. What kind/color is yours?
salvia_lover
Modi'in
Israel

March 17, 2005
7:04 PM

Post #1344467

Clare that little spot has been like that for as long as the big one has been in existence...and that's what made me think I might have more about to pop out. But the dozens of those little spots have remained just that...little spots. I won't object if they all decide to become buds though ;-).

Mine is an Epiphyllum oxypetalum...a white night flowering one that lasts only one night. One bloom will make me very happy as I just found this plant after searching for it for over a decade! :-)

-Julie
Clare_CA

(Zone 10b)

March 17, 2005
7:09 PM

Post #1344477

Oh, wow, Julie. That is wonderful. I am really looking foward to seeing yours bloom. Of course, you will have to stay up all night to enjoy it and to take pictures! You should have a small dinner party with family and friends to celebrate the end of your decade-long search the night that it opens.
salvia_lover
Modi'in
Israel

March 18, 2005
8:28 AM

Post #1345707

Clare, wouldn't that be nice! But my friends and family couldn't care less about such things LOL. I'll stay up on my own, enjoying a glass of wine and the lovely frangrance from this beauty :-).
Clare_CA

(Zone 10b)

March 18, 2005
5:30 PM

Post #1346369

LOL, Julie. My friends and family couldn't care less about these things either. Well, at least we have each other here at Dave's to share these things with. We'll celebrate with you!
Happenstance
Northern California, CA

March 19, 2005
9:56 PM

Post #1348652

Maybe Julie and I could time it just right and have our oxy's bloom at the same time on the same night!

What are the chances of that happening...it would be a party, even if only the few of us who get excited about these things came. (Keep in mind that my oxy just bloomed in the late fall and I see no signs of new buds yet, so keep that thing in check Julie until I can catch up to you!)
Clare_CA

(Zone 10b)

March 19, 2005
10:33 PM

Post #1348718

I'll definitely be there with my party hat on!
salvia_lover
Modi'in
Israel

March 20, 2005
12:24 PM

Post #1349560

Me too! I'll caution my oxy to hold his horses for you Candy :-)

-Julie
Sequee
Carmel, NY
(Zone 6b)

March 20, 2005
6:27 PM

Post #1350178

Well, I certainly hope I'm not going to embarrass myself here...

Are these epis?

Thumbnail by Sequee

Happenstance
Northern California, CA

March 20, 2005
6:41 PM

Post #1350210

Oh I think they are. :-) And they are growing well with new little baby leaves. Good job!
salvia_lover
Modi'in
Israel

March 20, 2005
6:50 PM

Post #1350223

Hey, I'll embarrass myself here too Sequee...

Candy, is this an Epi? (no buds on it as of yet) I bought it without even asking! tsk tsk tsk ;-)

-Julie

Happenstance
Northern California, CA

March 20, 2005
6:53 PM

Post #1350230

Never be embarassed...my batting average isn't that good either!! LOL What's a good batting average in the majors??? Think about it...if I'm right half of the time, I'm doing great!

That's a Ric-Rac cactus I think, Norma can tell you about them...I don't have one, but am on the look-out for one.

Check the PlantFiles
http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/62665/index.html
salvia_lover
Modi'in
Israel

March 20, 2005
7:02 PM

Post #1350245

Thanks Candy! :-) I was a bit disappointed when I read the comment that it rarely blooms. But when I searched for better images of it, I decided that waiting would be worth it if mine decides to ever bloom :-) Check out the image of the Selenicereus anthonyanus (aka the Ric-Rac or Fishbone cactus) here: http://www.ecology.org/orchids/EpiCare.html Not quite an oxi (what could ever beat an oxi????? LOL), but it sure is pretty! :-)

-Julie
Happenstance
Northern California, CA

March 20, 2005
7:08 PM

Post #1350254

It would definitely be worth the wait!

I thought I was seeing things...check out the time sequencing image right above the entry for the Ric-Rac!

Here's a direct link to the gif:
http://www.ecology.org/orchids/img/Selen_grandi_animated.gif

Or to the whole page:
http://www.ecology.org/orchids/index5.html#epiCacti
salvia_lover
Modi'in
Israel

March 20, 2005
7:29 PM

Post #1350287

WOW! COOL! That's a great site too...made me dizzy just thinking about all the lovely Epis to be had... :-)

-Julie
Happenstance
Northern California, CA

March 20, 2005
7:55 PM

Post #1350326

Julie -

I've been nosing around that sight and also found this about a third of the way down the page:
Epiphyllum anguliger

http://www.ecology.org/ecophoto/articles/Epiphyllum.htm
salvia_lover
Modi'in
Israel

March 20, 2005
8:00 PM

Post #1350336

Yep I saw that too...but mine has sharper "teeth" that that one, so I'm pretty sure mine isn't the Epi. It may also end up not being the Selenicereus, but it sure looks close! The owner of the cactus/succulent market (yes I actually talked to him about this plant without asking the name!), said mine has a red flower on it. This also rules out the Epi as it has a creamy flower. The Selenicereus has a flower bud that is red, but the actual flower inside is more white...so we'll just have to wait and see if mine ever blooms and compare the flower to those on that site :-). (bloom plant bloom!!!!)

-Julie
Clare_CA

(Zone 10b)

March 21, 2005
2:28 AM

Post #1350990

Julie and Candy, I love that site and have spent many evenings combing through all the pictures. I agree that it is a Ric-Rac Orchid Cactus, and it could either be Selenicereus anthyonyanus or Epiphyllum anguliger. I can't tell how pointy the ends are, but if the tips come to a point, it could be Epiphyllum chrysocardium.

Here is a picture of E. chrysocardium:

Thumbnail by Clare_CA

Clare_CA

(Zone 10b)

March 21, 2005
2:29 AM

Post #1350992

Here is the flower of E. chrysocardium:

Thumbnail by Clare_CA

salvia_lover
Modi'in
Israel

March 21, 2005
8:11 AM

Post #1351468

Clare, yours is lovely :-). The elaves on mine are distinctly thicker than yours and definitely aren't as pointy as yours. So I don't think mine is E. chrysocardium. One thing is certain with these types of plants...thef lowers will never be disappointing :-)

-Julie
dmichael619
Murrells Inlet, SC
(Zone 8a)

March 21, 2005
5:17 PM

Post #1352225

I've got close to 28/30 varieties of epis,give or take one or two. My no name red one which is about 8 1/2 ft long has buds that should be open within a week or so. I have a question though. With the exception of just 2 plants all of these are new for me. I just got them last year as 8-9 inch unrooted cuttings. They are all growing like weeds and have made many new branches. How long do I have to wait until I get to see them bloom? I read somplace that epis will not bloom the first year from cuttings but these little plants are growing so fast I can't believe that they won't bloom this year.
Happenstance
Northern California, CA

March 21, 2005
5:27 PM

Post #1352246

I'm certainly not an authority on Epis, but my experience has been that it depends on where the cutting came from. If it came from an established plant and the cutting was the leading end of the leaf or a portion near the end, it will most likely bloom sooner rather than later. If it was a center cut, it most likely will bloom within a couple of years and probably from the newly established leaves that grow from the cutting. Certainly not scientific, merely observations from my experience.

I've had cuttings near death when purchased (it's that "I can save this plant!" syndrome) that have bloomed the very summer I purchased them. Could it be that will to survive that pushes some of the rattiest cuttings to bloom when their plump, green, juicy cousins just keep putting on new leaves? :-)
Clare_CA

(Zone 10b)

March 22, 2005
1:43 AM

Post #1353265

Julie, my mistake: that picture is not mine but one which I found on the Internet. It hasn't flowered for me yet, but I just got it last summer. I agree with you that yours is thicker and must be either Selenicereus anthonyanus or Epiphyllum anguliger.
Azalea
Jonesboro, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 22, 2005
4:19 AM

Post #1353603

Can anyone ID this one? I have searched and search for it. It's blooms last several days.

Thumbnail by Azalea

Clare_CA

(Zone 10b)

March 22, 2005
4:22 AM

Post #1353614

Wow! It is very pretty, but I'm afraid I can't put a cultivar name to it. It is definitely an epiphyllum hybrid. You could look through this link to see if you can find one that looks like it: http://www.flowerpictures.net/epiphyllum/epihybrids/index.htm There are probably hundreds of cultivars out there so putting a name to it might be difficult. It sure is pretty though.
salvia_lover
Modi'in
Israel

March 22, 2005
5:47 AM

Post #1353731

I agree, very pretty! :-)
Kachinagirl
Modesto, CA
(Zone 8b)

March 22, 2005
6:40 AM

Post #1353771

Regarding the Rick Rack...I have one, blooms every Thanksgiving (aparently thinks it's a Thanksgiving Cactus). Mine has white flowers with faintly yellow edges. It seems to enjoy being root-bound. I treat mine like a Hoya and it is very happy. I counted over 50 blooms last year!
K
salvia_lover
Modi'in
Israel

March 22, 2005
8:28 AM

Post #1353813

Kachinagirl, WOW! That's a lotta blooms! :-) Got any pics?
Sequee
Carmel, NY
(Zone 6b)

March 22, 2005
2:16 PM

Post #1354190

Wow - they are all lovely! How exciting - once again I'm dumbfounded - who knew they bloomed! LOL!

Ahem - oh, Kachinagirl. Remember your dear, DEAR, friend Sequee whenever you do cuttings...LOL. (I just canNOT he'p m'self!)
Kachinagirl
Modesto, CA
(Zone 8b)

March 22, 2005
2:55 PM

Post #1354277

I think I do have a pic in my office computer, I'll check when I get there later.

Sequee, my dear buddy...yes indeed. I owe you several things already anyway! My plant got too cold this winter and is looking rather wimpy, I will give her a dose of fish emulsion to perk her up then send you a cutting.

Karen
Sequee
Carmel, NY
(Zone 6b)

March 22, 2005
3:02 PM

Post #1354297

That is soooo cool! I just added this to my want list 2 days ago after seeing the above postings! Now that's what I call service! It is going to look so coll hanging in my (very euphemisticly named) atrium window!

Now I'm EXCITED!
Clare_CA

(Zone 10b)

March 22, 2005
5:24 PM

Post #1354621

Kachinagirl, I can't wait to see your pictures. This is very good news. Also, how do you treat your Ric Rack and Hoyas and what do you do to get them to bloom? I only have one Hoya odorata from Logee's, and it hasn't bloomed for me yet.

Happenstance
Northern California, CA

March 22, 2005
7:14 PM

Post #1354858

Azalea - that pink is just lovely!

Karen - we need pictures!
Azalea
Jonesboro, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 23, 2005
12:01 AM

Post #1355419

Thanks - It is very similar to one on that link that Clare gave - called "Day Dreamer", but mine is more red in the center. When I got it, the nursery just had it labeled "Peach" cereus. http://www.flowerpictures.net/epiphyllum/epihybrids/pages/daydreamer.htm
Kachinagirl
Modesto, CA
(Zone 8b)

March 24, 2005
5:37 AM

Post #1358653

Oh man...I thought I took a better pic than this...how embarrassing! Oh well, you get the "jist" of it and after all this IS a friendly crowd! Hopefully I'm a better gardner than I am photographer! LOL. As you can see, the plant is a taddy "worked". Inside petals are white (or nearly so) and outside petals are pale yellow.

Karen :~D

EDITED...I sincerely believe the trick with this guy is to let it get root-bound.

This message was edited Mar 23, 2005 10:38 PM

Thumbnail by Kachinagirl

Happenstance
Northern California, CA

March 24, 2005
5:50 AM

Post #1358665

Wow...that's nice, I really like it.
salvia_lover
Modi'in
Israel

March 24, 2005
9:17 AM

Post #1358756

Cool! I bet your garden smelled lovely!!!!!! :-)
Azalea
Jonesboro, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 24, 2005
1:49 PM

Post #1359146

I think it is a pretty good pic- you got the buds and blooms too.
Kachinagirl
Modesto, CA
(Zone 8b)

March 24, 2005
1:54 PM

Post #1359161

Ah thanks, Azalea, you're nice! I think it only has a very mildly sweet smell, hafta stick your nose close...unlike my Epi oxypetalum (Night Blooming cereus) which smells up the whole front porch!

K
salvia_lover
Modi'in
Israel

March 24, 2005
2:32 PM

Post #1359247

Candy, if I could reach through the screen and hug you I would!!!!!! I just got a wonderful little shock when I went outside a while ago (had to make dinner for the kids so I couldn't rush in here and post right away). In any case, my one lonely little bud now has company. I spotted 6 clear baby itsy bitsy buds on the same stem as the original bud. So I scoured the plant and I counted SIXTY FIVE definite buds (albeit really itsy bitsy ones about a millimeter long each) and a several more pinkish bumps that I'm gonna keep my eye on to see if they'll develop into buds too.

And, why, might you ask, do I want to hug YOU? Well, because YOU were the one to tell me about and explain to me about and patiently walk me through the steps of FISH EMULSION! So I am crediting YOU for all these lovely little buds! Thank you thank you thank you thank you! I might have gotten a few buds without it, but I'm certain I wouldn't have gotten more than a fraction of what I've got here if it hadn't been for your help.

I'm soooo excited! I can hardly sit still! LOL

-Julie

here's a pic of the end of one stem...all of the stems save one are like this almost from top to bottom!

Kachinagirl
Modesto, CA
(Zone 8b)

March 24, 2005
2:39 PM

Post #1359264

That's it...I getting the stinky fish goo TODAY!!!!!

:~D
salvia_lover
Modi'in
Israel

March 24, 2005
2:45 PM

Post #1359336

LOL, thank you for sharing my excitement. I'm absolutely GIDDY! :-) Only a fellow gardener would understand my excitement, so I'm glad I've got you all! DH would yawn in boredom if I told him about it ROTFL

-Julie
Sequee
Carmel, NY
(Zone 6b)

March 24, 2005
3:33 PM

Post #1359579

OMG, Julie! I can hardly wait to see pix of that baby in full bloom! That is going to look sooooo awesome!

Karen - you will love that stuff! But watch out! Cats and dogs LOVE it! PekeBoo once ate a HUGE blob of it that popped out of the container - it was SO gross. (I kept waiting for blossoms to come sprouting out of his butt, but no way. Only VERY stinky poopies!)
cinnabor
Deltona, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 24, 2005
3:49 PM

Post #1359618

Do these have to be any size or age before they bloom..I was givin several cuttings last Oct. They were potted right away and seem to be growing at least they are putting out new growth,,,But I look forward to the day or night that I will see a bloom. I have never had this plant before. How much water..what food. Any and all help, I would be thankful for.
Happenstance
Northern California, CA

March 24, 2005
4:40 PM

Post #1359725

Yippeee for you Julie! I do know that "glazed" look that people get when you get excited about a plant blooming or growing or whatever. The strangest thing is that DH does get excited about Gardenias...not my favorite, but I have a couple that are blooming well and I also credit that to fish emulsion. (Unlike for Epis, I use it at the strength recommended on the container.)

I certainly won't take credit for something that may have happened on its own, but I swear by the stuff! Be prepared for not all the little buds to become blooms, it seems like a certain number of them always wither and don't make it. I would bet that someone taking an Epi to a show would most likely remove a certain number of buds, which in some other Genus like Dahlias, would make the remaining blooms larger. Don't know that for a fact, but I'm not ever removing buds anyway!

Those of you who might be tempted to try fish emulsion...be very careful to NOT use it full strength. Somewhere on a couple of threads I've given some tips on what has worked for me as far as care, I'll try and find a couple of those threads and come back in with the links.

cinnabor - Here's one of the older links:
http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/429556/

And if you go to the top of this thread there is a link that will take you to some posts from last year. Within that thread are several more where we had some conversations on tips for the care and feeding of Epis and getting them to bloom:
http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/426034/

This message was edited Mar 24, 2005 10:23 AM
salvia_lover
Modi'in
Israel

March 24, 2005
7:31 PM

Post #1360124

Candy, the fish emulsion we have here actually comes in dried pellets. So I have to mix it in water or sprinkle the plants with the pellets. The garden center said either way is fine as the pellets on top slowly dissolve each time you water the plant. I won't try that in winter again though as some of the pellets actually got a bit moldy on the top of the soil in some of my succulent pots because of the constant rain. The plants didn't seem to mind, but I removed it when I saw it. That was over a month ago, so I think any harm would be apparent by now. In any case, next year until the rainy season is over, I'll only use the fish emulsion dissolved in a gallon of water.

Yes, the cats love the stuff. One cat actually went crazy not just eating the stuff, but he peed in one particular pot a few times too. YUCK! One of my pagoda plants suffered pretty badly from that, but it's looking much better now so I guess it's bouncing back. Luckily cats can't get to my epis or any of the plants in hanging baskets as they's have to be spiderman to reach them ;-).

I figured that many of those little buds wouldn't develop fully. But hey, if I get even a fourth of them blooming, I'll be out of this world happy. Any more blooms than that will be like winning the Epi lottery for me :-) This plant is hanging right outside my bedroom window, so I'm already smiling about the prospect of falling asleep with that lovely fragrance in the air (at oh, about, 6 or 7 in the morning for that first bloom ;-).

-Julie
Clare_CA

(Zone 10b)

March 24, 2005
9:27 PM

Post #1360345

Kachinagirl, that photo is amazing! Thanks for posting that picture and showing us what the blooms look like. That is good to know what to expect if we get results like yours. I'm definitely going to keep my rootbound. Thanks for the tip!

Julie, congrats on all your blooms! That is wonderful. I look forward to seeing them in bloom.
Happenstance
Northern California, CA

March 24, 2005
10:13 PM

Post #1360406

After all the rain the past 10 days, we finally have a nice day with sunshine, blue skies and light winds. Wow!

My white Epis have buds now too! They usually start blooming later than all the pinky/fuschia ones.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

March 24, 2005
11:48 PM

Post #1360568

I'm SO jealous! I've been away several weeks and just had my plants (mostly epi's and christmas cactus) watered while I was gone. Should have left instructions to feed them but it probably would have cost me double.
Clare_CA

(Zone 10b)

March 25, 2005
2:21 AM

Post #1360935

Neat, Candy! Congrats on those buds!
Happenstance
Northern California, CA

March 25, 2005
2:25 AM

Post #1360945

In the fall of 2003 I bought a small beat up cutting with no name at a local nursery. Potted it up and it began to grow by leaps and bounds. It was a nice sized plant by last spring 2004 and I got two blooms from it. Because it is still a young guy I did give it space in the greenhouse again this year, will probably put it outside with the big guys next winter.

Here's an image of just a couple of the buds it has produced, as well as about tripling in size over the winter. The blossom on the right is from last year.

Clare_CA

(Zone 10b)

March 25, 2005
3:00 AM

Post #1361021

That is a gorgeous color and nice bloom size, Candy.

Lilypon

Lilypon
Moose Jaw, SK
(Zone 3b)

March 25, 2005
2:47 PM

Post #1361645

I'm showing mine this picture so they will know what they should be doing...thank you for showing us Candy!
Happenstance
Northern California, CA

March 25, 2005
3:02 PM

Post #1361675

You can see the original leaves of the cutting in the pot. 2-3 small 6" scraggly leaves and look at him grow!

He doesn't seem to know whether to go for the sky or trail down. A lower shelf or a direct move to the outside shade patio is in order. It also needs to be repotted, not so much for the growth factor, but because the plant is unstable with the weight of the growth it has put on.

Lilypon

Lilypon
Moose Jaw, SK
(Zone 3b)

March 25, 2005
3:12 PM

Post #1361698

LOL...definitely an interesting looking one. My Dad used to overwinter them in my bedroom (I would get nightmares from it). All was forgiven however when they bloomed. ;)
salvia_lover
Modi'in
Israel

March 25, 2005
7:57 PM

Post #1362272

Lilypon, they certainly can be rather ... ehem...less than attractive plants when not in bloom. But like you said, those blooms more than make up for their lack of showiness the rest of the year :-)

Candy, that sure is a lotta growth! WOW! :-)

-Julie
mysticwill
Brookhaven, PA
(Zone 7a)

March 25, 2005
8:16 PM

Post #1362302

I would love some of these--- what are some of the common names I should be looking for at the nursery/home depot ect? Is this sometimes called Christmas cactus?

Heather

Lilypon

Lilypon
Moose Jaw, SK
(Zone 3b)

March 25, 2005
8:17 PM

Post #1362304

Epiphyllium is what it's known by.
Happenstance
Northern California, CA

March 25, 2005
8:26 PM

Post #1362327

Heather -

Your best bet would be to order a couple online, rather than wait for a cutting to show up at a nursery. The cuttings are usually something you wouldn't even notice, just a piece of leaf stuck in a 4" pot. These cuttings travel very well and you could buy by name and color that you prefer if you order online. I got some wonderful cuttings from Epis by Pat
http://www.epies.net/

One of the big differences between Epiphyllum and Christmas Cactus...the size of the flowers. They can range between a couple inches and 10" - 12" per flower!

BrugAddict
Harlem, GA
(Zone 8a)

March 25, 2005
10:06 PM

Post #1362494

Candy those are gorgeous!!! All of you guys pic's are beautiful. I have one myself now which a friend sent to me, soooooooooo today, I mixed me up some fish emulsion diluted with one gallon of water and water them all. I also have the 'Queen of the Night' ??? And I don't know if this is the same thing but 'Queens Tears'...They've only bloomed once for me and they put on a show but after this tip from you Candy, I sure hope to see more. They've been neglected I think :(

Thanks Candy and all of you for the great advice!

Julie / BaBs
Kachinagirl
Modesto, CA
(Zone 8b)

March 26, 2005
12:53 AM

Post #1362917

Ah Julie (Salvia_lover) I know what you mean...I just read the part where Sequee was waiting for flowers to sprout out of her dog's butt and I was laughing so loud that DH came in from the other end of the house to see if I was having some kind of attack or something. When I read it to him he just raised his eyebrows and gave me that token smile (you know the one...where they're thinking, "Dad NEVER told me they lose their minds after you marry them") and shook his head and walked out of the room. I was still in hysterics. Thank God for gardening buddies! We understand each other!

When I picked up the Fish emulsion at the nursery I chatted with my buddy the manager. He said to not only give my Brug and Epis some, but give it to my azaleas, ferns, Christmas cactus, and perennials. I did so dutifully when I got home. Then I called my daughter in from across the street for dinner and she said, "MOM!!!!!! It smells like DEAD FISH around here!!!!" I said, "Yup, and the plants are grateful!" She just held her nose and ran into the house. LOL I guess if my family annoys me I could always feed the indoor plants... then I would have the house to myself! Of course I would drive the cat nutz too! You know...there might be some satisfaction in that too. Hysterically LOL!

Karen
Azalea
Jonesboro, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 26, 2005
3:08 AM

Post #1363240

I wonder if it would help the smell if you scraped off some topsoil, or at least toss some more soil on to after you have watered??
Happenstance
Northern California, CA

March 26, 2005
4:44 AM

Post #1363426

Did I forget to tell you that there is ODORLESS fish emulsion available? LOL

Look for a brand that says "Odorless" or "Deodorized"

That fishy aroma usually goes away in a day or so...try to get it in the pots, not in the surrounding area!

Cats and fish emulsion are not a good combinatio, even the deodorized kind. I don't have very many house plants, but I do have plants in my sunroom. When I fertilize them, I have to keep it closed up for a day or two because the cats just go wild!
Kachinagirl
Modesto, CA
(Zone 8b)

March 26, 2005
5:10 AM

Post #1363456

Oh dear. I guess if they're going to get some special fertilizing this year I shall take them to my office and do it there, then bring them back at the end of the week. I should probably get the deodorized kind for the office...LOL
salvia_lover
Modi'in
Israel

March 26, 2005
7:51 AM

Post #1363521

ROTFL Karen! Maybe I'll try that next time I want to have the house to myself LOL. Too funny! Of course, I'd actually have to buy some house plants first ;-)

Candy, I was happy to find ANY fish emulsion...even the pelleted kind :-)

-Julie
Happenstance
Northern California, CA

March 31, 2005
2:10 AM

Post #1373874

Just a tiny update on the cuttings I got last Feb from Epis By Pat...there are some indications that there might be a few buds in the making.

Either that or new leaves, just too small to tell. But, 'Hot Lava' does have a bud that's big enough to see! Here's the link to 'Hot Lava' in Pat's catalog: http://www.epies.net/

Can't seem to get a direct link to the page to open, so you'll have to go to the main page, hit the Epiphyllum 2005 link in the upper left hand corner and then go to Page 2 of the Epi listings. 'Hot Lava' ... yum!
salvia_lover
Modi'in
Israel

March 31, 2005
6:09 AM

Post #1374209

OOOOOOOOOOOOOo now that's PRETTY! I can't wait to see a Happenstance Photo of that one Candy! :-)

-Julie
Clare_CA

(Zone 10b)

March 31, 2005
8:51 PM

Post #1375735

Neat, Candy! I should have a flower from my newly rooted cutting any day now. I will post when it blooms.
Kachinagirl
Modesto, CA
(Zone 8b)

April 1, 2005
1:37 AM

Post #1376215

Salvia_lover...houseplants? Who needs houseplants? All you have to do is open the bottle to have the whole house to yourself! I have also found that mentioning loudly that I'm going to start the housework will need help drives them outside immediately!!!! :~D
Happenstance
Northern California, CA

April 1, 2005
2:02 AM

Post #1376271

Re: Driving your family away

All I have to do is turn on the Self-Cleaning cycle on the ovens. :-)

Doesn't bother me to have some "alone" time. LOL
Crasulady2
Valley Village, CA

April 1, 2005
3:11 AM

Post #1376403

I sure would like some alone time right now. I just fixed the master staple machine. Now I'm being yelled at for not doing something else. I just can't do two jobs at once any more. Happenstance I have an extra rick rack plant for you, if you promis to propagate the plant and give the starts away. I also have an old Rainbow Garden book I will send along with it. On the front cover it has 'Slightly Sassy'
which has maroon inner petals, and lighter outer petals that are longer and lighter then the middle ones.
I looked in my book it says that the 'Rick Rack' cacti are Cryptocereus anthonyanus this one has flowers that have a spicy smell at night.

I think the one in the picture above is called a Epiphyllum angullger (Clair's picture post, dated March 20) one of the rick rack cactus Epiphyllum chrysocardium "Fern Cactus" has pure white flowers. There are several species of rick-rack cacti that came from Mexico. Myron Kimnach and Bill Baker was one of the plant explorers that went on an expedition to find these plant for us. They are at the Huntington Gardens at this time, hanging on a north wall of a greenhouse, with shade cloth over them so they won't burn. These are all species F/C we have very few hybrids of Epi, Bill still has his original plants. Norma
Happenstance
Northern California, CA

April 2, 2005
9:01 AM

Post #1378733

Thank you for the offer, but I have one on order for May delivery from an online vendor. Perhaps someone else would like to try it.
Kachinagirl
Modesto, CA
(Zone 8b)

April 2, 2005
1:35 PM

Post #1379089

Norma, I would take very good care of that plant if you are determined to send it out into the world! If H doesn't mind, of course! I promise to share, too! I'm going to TRY to come down your way next month, perhaps I could buy it from you then?

Karen :~D
Happenstance
Northern California, CA

April 4, 2005
1:23 AM

Post #1381815

The Epis have moved out of their protected corner by the sun room and are hanging out on the back patio. I also reset the automatic sprinklers yesterday and spayed the back hill with Roundup. So I guess it's my fault it has started RAINING again!!!!

Clare_CA

(Zone 10b)

April 4, 2005
2:32 AM

Post #1381948

Wow, Candy, we are of like mind. I too sprayed the back area with Roundup the other day. There is so much crab grass back there! The instructions say that rain won't wash it off so it should be okay. Your epi's will probably love that rain water! I'll have two blooms to show you on my epi's any day now. Stay warm and dry:-)
Happenstance
Northern California, CA

April 10, 2005
5:17 AM

Post #1393997

If I have any blooms this year it will be a miracle. Storms and wind and wet for the last few days are really beating them up! Hold on tight little buds!
salvia_lover
Modi'in
Israel

April 10, 2005
5:39 AM

Post #1394021

Fingers crossed!!!!!!

Lilypon

Lilypon
Moose Jaw, SK
(Zone 3b)

April 10, 2005
5:59 AM

Post #1394037

mine are as well!!!!!!!!!!!
Clare_CA

(Zone 10b)

April 14, 2005
9:55 PM

Post #1403367

These have to be the slowest opening buds in the history of buds! How much longer, Candy? I had one about half the size, but it fell off. I am keeping my fingers crossed that this one will bloom.

Thumbnail by Clare_CA

Lilypon

Lilypon
Moose Jaw, SK
(Zone 3b)

April 14, 2005
10:03 PM

Post #1403379

LOL @ Clare...when you quit watching it!

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

April 14, 2005
10:12 PM

Post #1403392

Clare, that one loooks about a week or slightly more. DO NOT disturb it!
Clare_CA

(Zone 10b)

April 14, 2005
10:35 PM

Post #1403412

LOL, Lilypon! Okay, thanks, Darius!
Happenstance
Northern California, CA

April 14, 2005
10:38 PM

Post #1403419

It's close that's for sure. At this stage a lot depends on the temperature. 75F would be optimum because the flowers can last longer when it's cooler.

I am looking at perhaps losing the entire season, due to 2 mornings this past week at about 42F at night. This wouldn't be a problem in the dead of winter, but with the buds developing it may have zapped them all. Only time will tell. I do know that at this point last year (given several weeks at 90F) they were at about the same stage yours are right now. And I had loads of blooms by the end of the first week in May for the garden tour...that's not going to happen this year for sure. Last year was unusual as mid-June is usually when the flushes of blooms start here.
Clare_CA

(Zone 10b)

April 15, 2005
1:20 AM

Post #1403718

Candy, I'm so sorry about your buds, and my fingers are crossed that you will get more buds in order to have a mid-June bloom. This is my one and only large one. I have one very small bud, and I can see new buds appearing every day. My guess is that I will have the most blooms in May or June also.

This will be my first epi bud ever! I just hung the basket so that I can see it from my kitchen window, and Darius's advice was ringing in my ears. Does moving the basket constitute disturbing it? I hope not! Of course, I'll post a picture when it blooms.

Temps have been in the 70's lately, and it is 75 right now. Nighttime temps have been cold and have fallen into the low 40's also. It was 44 the night before last, and I have tropicals outside that do not like those temps at all. My portable greenhouse has been taken down so I just hope this cold spell doesn't continue much longer.
Kachinagirl
Modesto, CA
(Zone 8b)

April 15, 2005
1:58 AM

Post #1403803

I'm in the same boat here too. It was 40 last night with daytime temps reaching 68 to 70. My Epi buds are anywhere from 1" to 2". My fingers AND toes are crossed! (you should see me walk...)

K
Happenstance
Northern California, CA

April 15, 2005
4:10 AM

Post #1404037

Thinking good thoughts for Epi buds across the gardens of the world...

That thing about retaining the same orientation and not moving Epis (or Christmas Cactus for that matter) is an old wives tale in my experience. I've always moved the pots around and flipped them to keep an equal amount of sun on all sides during the blooming period. It's never been a problem for me. Mine don't seem to mind being moved, sometimes just a few feet and other times from front to back yard. Now that the pots are so big, I don't move them around as much, but "disturbing" them isn't something I worry about.

Bring in the soft music and see the Epis from last May 6th, the day before my garden tour. :-)

Clare_CA

(Zone 10b)

April 15, 2005
4:37 AM

Post #1404072

Beautiful, Candy. I agree with you about moving them, but being the clumsy girl that I am, I was keenly aware that I better not touch the bud or any where near it lest I accidentally break it off! I've been known to do stupid things like that. I won't touch the basket again until it blooms. It is supposed to be 46 tonight. I really wish temps would stay in the 50's.

Wishing you lots of buds, Kachinagirl and all!

Lilypon

Lilypon
Moose Jaw, SK
(Zone 3b)

April 15, 2005
4:45 AM

Post #1404083

I've got mine in the porch...following your directions to a T this year Candy! Might have to drag them in tho (with windchill we will be well below freezing tonight). :b
Crasulady2
Valley Village, CA

April 15, 2005
8:34 AM

Post #1404223

Ladies, I have found so far three -four forms of that rick -rack thingy, mine however are field collected species from over about 30 years ago, (Myron Kimnach collection) they are small cuttings so far. So I don't know if yours are hybrids or not. That could make a difference.
One of my large species does have a flower bud on at this time, If I can remember I will take a picture and someone on this forum should be able to identify the plant, I just gave my last books to Jesse K when she visited. So she has my reference books at this time. It is so nice to hear you all so excited about them. I can get the old 'King Midas' hybrid from across the street. She shares. Norma
Clare_CA

(Zone 10b)

April 15, 2005
5:09 PM

Post #1404854

Norma, the only Ric Rac Cactus that I am familiar with is Epiphyllum anguliger and Selenicereus anthonyanus. Here's a link to help you identify yours: http://www.ecology.org/orchids/index5.html#Epis

Yes, the one of mine that is about to flower is a colored day-blooming epiphyllum hybrid.
PerennialGirl
Winnipeg, MB
(Zone 4a)

April 16, 2005
5:54 PM

Post #1406882

Beautiful, epi's!! I would luv to get a piece of a rickrack if any one has a baby. So far I have a huge red epi and a couple of piece of ones that I don't know the color. Hopefully they will bloom this year. I also am getting some cuttings from a trade I did this year. I'll have to remind the person that it's okay to send them.
:) Donna
Kachinagirl
Modesto, CA
(Zone 8b)

April 17, 2005
1:27 AM

Post #1407595

What if we started an Epi Round Robin?

K
Clare_CA

(Zone 10b)

April 17, 2005
1:49 AM

Post #1407642

Here's a picture from earlier today. "Open, open, open..."

Thumbnail by Clare_CA

Happenstance
Northern California, CA

April 17, 2005
1:55 AM

Post #1407658

Good going Clare! Gotta be soon...

I'm trying not to hover over my big pots with their damaged (?) buds...my small young plant was still in the greenhouse during the chill, and it is looking good. Not quite as far along as your bud, but at least I know it will bloom!

Julie...check in with your bud(s)!!!

rose318

rose318
(Patti) in Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

April 17, 2005
2:09 AM

Post #1407693

Hi Clare, and Happenstance.
My epiphyllum Showboat is in bud also. I can't wait for it to bloom. I will get pictures of it when it does.
Patti

Lilypon

Lilypon
Moose Jaw, SK
(Zone 3b)

April 17, 2005
2:33 AM

Post #1407738

Waiting with almost baited breath now. :)
Clare_CA

(Zone 10b)

April 17, 2005
2:36 AM

Post #1407743

Candy, yours look great! My fingers are crossed for you for your other buds.

Patti, I can't wait to see it! Showboat is stunning!

Lilypon, you post yours too if you can!

Where's Julie? Julie has the night-blooming white fragrant one that I am dying to see.

Lilypon

Lilypon
Moose Jaw, SK
(Zone 3b)

April 17, 2005
2:40 AM

Post #1407753

Clare unfortunately mine doesn't have buds yet. :( It's chilling in the porch so hopefully I'll have some later on. I did however find the night-blooming one at Canadian Tire today!

I'll just print everybodies pictures off and lecture mine on what they should be doing. ;)
Clare_CA

(Zone 10b)

April 17, 2005
3:29 AM

Post #1407842

LOL, Lilypon. Congrats on finding the night-blooming one! Those are super special! Well, you'll be showing us blooms when ours are all done, and that will be just fine:-)
salvia_lover
Modi'in
Israel

April 17, 2005
9:54 AM

Post #1408082

OMG Clare! I'm in shock! Isn't it a bit early for that thing to be so far along? WOW WOW WOW! Not that I'd complain if I were you :-)

Candy, yours sure are straight horizontal soldiers aren't they :-). They look great :-)

Here's a pic of my biggest baby, growing vertically in contrast to Candy's horizontal guys LOL:

-Julie

salvia_lover
Modi'in
Israel

April 17, 2005
9:54 AM

Post #1408083

and another pic of 3 of the littler babies I'm cooing over daily :-)...

Lilypon

Lilypon
Moose Jaw, SK
(Zone 3b)

April 17, 2005
2:36 PM

Post #1408358

Thanks Clare :) ... Imma hoping and praying that mine will be here eventually!

Julie they look great!!

rose318

rose318
(Patti) in Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

April 17, 2005
2:55 PM

Post #1408391

Happenstance,
I got this Epiphyllum two years ago, it was labled Showboat. The pictures I seen on the net are not quite the same. Here is my plant .Please tell you what you think it may be?
TIA Patti

Thumbnail by rose318

Happenstance
Northern California, CA

April 17, 2005
3:20 PM

Post #1408423

Morning Patti -

I have one that looks just like that, but is unnamed.(All of mine except the cuttings I got from Epis by Pat a year ago are unnamed.)

There is very little on the net about a "Showboat" Epi and if the images can be believed, then yours is different. There are so many hybrids now, I think it is nearly impossible to give them a name with certainty, unless you get them from a reputable grower like Pat. http://www.epies.net/

Google Images of "Showboat"
http://images.google.com/images?q=Epiphyllum%20showboat&hl=en&lr=&sa=N&tab=wi

The San Diego Ephiphyllum Society has a great website with info and sources for cuttings:
http://www.epiphyllum.com/

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

April 17, 2005
3:31 PM

Post #1408444

Today, I just walk around and see anything is bloom yet so here's just start now to get bloom in May or early June. This is Salmon.

Rusty (SnowElk)

Thumbnail by JuJu55

rose318

rose318
(Patti) in Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

April 17, 2005
3:31 PM

Post #1408445

Thanks Happenstance. I wrote to Pat at Epies.net. I am asking her if she can Id it for me. I hope she answers.
Patti

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

April 17, 2005
3:34 PM

Post #1408449

Another one is Rainbow but I though it died last year! It's alive now! Hope keep bloom alive and keep eye on this one!

Rusty ( SnowElk)

Thumbnail by JuJu55

Happenstance
Northern California, CA

April 17, 2005
3:46 PM

Post #1408464

Great buds Rusty, so glad you have shared!

I've started a new thread because this one is getting so long...when someone gets flowers or buds post them on the new thread so we can get the dial-up users involved too! :-)

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

April 17, 2005
3:55 PM

Post #1408481

Here's the link for the new thread
http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/500483/
Clare_CA

(Zone 10b)

April 19, 2005
12:59 AM

Post #1411827

Here it is! There is no scent that I can detect, but the person that gave me cutting said it is fragrant. Maybe tomorrow it will emit.

Thumbnail by Clare_CA

Clare_CA

(Zone 10b)

April 19, 2005
1:00 AM

Post #1411828

Close-up!

Thumbnail by Clare_CA

Clare_CA

(Zone 10b)

April 19, 2005
1:00 AM

Post #1411831

Darn, wrong thread! I'll go to the other one now!

palmbob

palmbob
Acton, CA
(Zone 8b)

April 19, 2005
6:24 PM

Post #1413063

For those interested and in the area (LA), there is an Epiphyllum show and sale at the LA arboretum May 15 (Sunday).
Clare_CA

(Zone 10b)

April 19, 2005
10:03 PM

Post #1413602

Thanks, Palmbob!
ilovejesus99
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9b)

April 20, 2005
4:51 AM

Post #1414459

:o(
Happenstance
Northern California, CA

April 20, 2005
12:42 PM

Post #1414740

Thanks for the show info pb...and the saga of the Epis continues on a new thread...post your images over there cause we don't want to miss them!

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/500483/
Clare_CA

(Zone 10b)

April 21, 2006
6:38 PM

Post #2208935

I thought I would bump this thread up to the top as it has a lot of great information.
MaryEv
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

September 27, 2006
8:36 PM

Post #2764086

I'm bumping again. The question of feeding just keeps coming up! :)
Clare_CA

(Zone 10b)

January 29, 2007
9:39 PM

Post #3136054

Hey, Candy, got buds yet?;-D It may be time to start a "The Epis Are Coming, The Epis Are Coming!! 2007" thread. I noticed that my Apricot and 'Saigon' have lots of buds already. I hope you are doing well and enjoying your new place.
Sequee
Carmel, NY
(Zone 6b)

January 30, 2007
7:34 PM

Post #3139138

Oh, man! I sure hope I get a bloom this year!!!
corky59
Lakeland, FL

January 30, 2007
9:08 PM

Post #3139447

My Epi's are putting out huge shoots here so I hope to get good blooms again this year I have got to get some more but been so to busy to order ya know? Corky Happy Eppying to All
Sequee
Carmel, NY
(Zone 6b)

January 31, 2007
2:13 PM

Post #3141645

Mine put out all sorts of shoots - for the first time. Does that mean that flowers are eminent?

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

January 31, 2007
6:59 PM

Post #3142619

Last spring while I was visiting in FL and had all my epies there, I gave them a shot of Messenger. One put on 6 buds within a week or two. Alas, I moved to VA and the buds dropped off en route.

The baby cuttings I got in 2003 are finally showing good growth. 2 or 3 are named and the remainder unknown except to know I have several colors besides white and red.
corky59
Lakeland, FL

February 1, 2007
10:44 AM

Post #3144752

On mine I used the horse feed tea weak of course. Darius had to yell at me for having mine in too much shade, or was it sun? Ha Ha. Anyhoo I think a lot of folks use or change the soil to much. Mine seem to love being rootbound. I do get a scaly? type of stuff on my leaves and have no clue what to use for it. Corky. Btw, my Nuns Cap Orchid is going nuts w/ buds and blooms. Weather here has been so warm.
Clare_CA

(Zone 10b)

February 7, 2008
2:40 AM

Post #4505397

Bumping again:-)

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Orchid Cactus Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
what is a epis? binky1972 16 Aug 19, 2008 10:55 PM
Epiphyllum seed help Kachinagirl 4 Oct 1, 2008 6:42 PM
Epiphyllum blooming MaryE 87 Aug 1, 2007 8:22 AM
The Epis Are Here, The Epis Are Here!! 2005 Happenstance 155 Feb 7, 2008 2:42 AM
Rattail in full bloom Gourd 50 Jul 9, 2014 5:52 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America