Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Texas Gardening: Trade Help Pruning, Etc. for Cuttings and Plants

Communities > Forums > Texas Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Texas GardeningReplies: 26, Views: 259
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
melvatoo
Denton, TX
(Zone 7a)

January 23, 2005
2:42 AM

Post #1252831

I am hoping to get a bunch of people, to come to my house in Denton, to help me prune, and plant some roses...any one that wants cuttings can have them, and I have a lot of other things that are up for grabs too...including a few roses that if you dig them up, they are yours! I will gratefully accept a bag of Mulch, Alfalfa, or Mushroom Compost for the roses. I know I have these that are in need of a good home:
Perdita...taken
Glamis Castle...taken
Charles Austin...taken
and I am sure there are more that can go as well.
Other things I have are:
Porcelain Vine
Malva Zebrina
Rose of Sharon
Ajuja
Sweet Autumn Clematis
Phlox
Fennel
Tarragon
Tansy
Mint, etc.
I will provide lunch and soft drinks, and cake...please come and help me!
This is going to be the last weekend of February, either Saturday or Sunday, whichever day most people can make it.
LMK

This message was edited Jan 28, 2005 5:50 PM
loudigger
San Antonio, TX
(Zone 8b)

January 23, 2005
4:41 PM

Post #1253614

What a wonderful offer! Too bad you are such a fer piece from San Antonio, or I would take you up on it. It is a great idea. Any San Antonio area DGers with the same idea? I have 1/2 acre, so it will be a long time before I am over grown with things needing dividing and trimmed to thin. I love to dig in the dirt and take cuttings and prune. Great therapy. My idea of FUN! Good luck! Margie, aka Queen of Dirtland
melvatoo
Denton, TX
(Zone 7a)

January 23, 2005
4:56 PM

Post #1253654

Trust me, Margie...even with 1/2 acre, it won't take long to be over run...then I will be making a trip to see you in San Antonio!
I wish it wasn't so far, and you could come and help out. Surely, some DFW area people can make a drive North to Denton? Come on, there will be cake!!
htop
San Antonio, TX
(Zone 8b)

January 24, 2005
1:15 AM

Post #1254460

What a great idea! Not only receiving help, but sharing your plants and making new friends in your area. I hope you have great success with this project. It sounds like it would be fun.
seedpicker_TX
(Taylor) Plano, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 25, 2005
1:46 PM

Post #1256841

HI there!
Can I have first dibs on the roses??
My mother lives in Denton and has been asking me to come visit her. Can she come, too?
I just finished last night, scratching in all my alfalfa, and have about 1/3 of a 50 lb bag left. Is that enough for your roses? I also have a few quarts of epsom salt left, too.

I'm curious why you don't want those three roses. They look beautiful in pictures. Are they a managable size to dig up, or are they already very large?

Are you wanting other roses? I have some varieties rooted and ready for trade. One is a new dawn, in a 3 gallon, the others are smaller starts of The McCartney rose, Belinda's dream, climbing old blush, and Climbing Souvenir de la Malmaison. Plus, tons of other things I can offer.

Is your porcelain vine variegated, or solid green?

I noticed those strong green ladder climber supports in your picture. How do you like those? I've seen those in the catalogs, and always wanted to try them.

-Taylor
sugarfoot
Granbury, TX
(Zone 7b)

January 25, 2005
2:07 PM

Post #1256872

Melva,
I hope that I can come help, but I may be out of town. I just moved back to Texas in the fall and have almost an acre that's just crying to be beautified. I think this is a great idea - gardeners helping and sharing with other gardeners. Before Dave's it was sometimes hard to find people who wanted to share your garden's bounty.
Linda
melvatoo
Denton, TX
(Zone 7a)

January 25, 2005
6:22 PM

Post #1257415

Yes, your Mother can come too. I have already given away Prospero, but the others are still available. As for why they are going..they are lovely, but I am just running out of room, and I have more roses coming...Ashdown just sent me an e-mail they shipped eight more, yesterday. Some of the Austins are in 15 gallon pots...Perdita, and Glamis Castle for sure...Charles Austin, is planted in the ground, but it isn't huge, it should be fairly easy to dig up.
The Porcelain Vine is the solid green...
The Alfalfa that you have is enough to feed my roses, once...I have a lot of them, so I will need more. You will see, when you get here...
I don't think I want to trade for any more roses, I have had to become very picky.
What day were you thinking of coming? I have friends who say they will be there Saturday, and others that won't be able to be there until Sunday, so either day is fine with me. (I haven't mentioned this to my DH, he won't be happy, oh well! The roses will be pruned, that is what matters) My back has been bothering me, and I just can't do it all myself...
So please, if you can make it, do. Where does your Mother live, in Denton? I am right off University and Bonnie Brae, you can see my house from University...I have been told, that once you get within sight of it, you don't need directions...I have way more plants, than most people. I showed a picture to my DH once of the backyard, and asked him where he though it was, (meaning where in the backyard was it taken) and he said, 'I don't know, Costa Rica?' He isn't much of a fan of flowers, poor man, and he hates the water bill, in the summer. But he does admit that our yard is often, the prettiest yard, around..and I smugly, have to agree. Not now though, because it is way out of hand.
I have really liked the green ladder supports, they work, with so many things.

Linda I really hope that you can make it. I am hoping that some of the members of my garden club are going to be there, and they are great at giving advice of beautifying your yard. I call my yard, a plant zoo, there has been no plan, other than cramming as much in, as I could.

Did I mention there will be Cake! (I know, I am obsessed_
Melva

This message was edited Jan 25, 2005 2:16 PM

This message was edited Jan 27, 2005 9:21 AM
seedpicker_TX
(Taylor) Plano, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 25, 2005
6:40 PM

Post #1257433

Yes, my mother lives in Denton, by Congress junior high, near where the old "FLOW hospital" used to be.

Your hubby sounds just like mine! lol...

I have a free "calling within Texas" phone plan, so may be easier to phone you, than keep emailing. What do you think?

I do know where University and Bonnie Brae are just from memory(I grew up there). Seems like you would be pretty easy for me to find! lol...

Anything you ARE interested in trading for, besides alfalfa? I have some pineapple guava in one gallon, some lycesteria formosa in one gallon, some thornless blackberry plants in one gallon, some dierama, small one gallon starts of carolina allspice, some coral vine tubers, clematis pitcheri(very chubby small dark purple bells), campanula takesimania I can dig, obedient plant I can dig, liriope I can dig, sophora secundiflora in one gallon, texas sage in 3 gallon, tons of brugmansia cuttings, as well as potted, etc, etc, etc!!!

If nothing interests you, I'm sure I can make it up to you in pure labor and sweat! lol...
-Taylor
melvatoo
Denton, TX
(Zone 7a)

January 25, 2005
7:13 PM

Post #1257478

Sounds like your Mother is pretty close to me!
I hate phones, so this will work, for me at least.
Blackberries! Now that would be something, I would want. What kind are they? We have some property Northwest of Denton, where we would like to start a blackberry thicket. My parents used to live over, off Teasley, and they had a lot of blackberries (not the thornless kind!) their old place is a development now, so sad to see!
I will have some more roses too, including a couple of (my favorite kind) Noisettes. Are you intested in them too? They are both in pots.

This message was edited Jan 25, 2005 2:14 PM
seedpicker_TX
(Taylor) Plano, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 25, 2005
8:42 PM

Post #1257561

The kind of blackberries is not mentioned on the tag-only that they are thornless and from Home Depot! lol...I have three of those, in one gallons. I'll bring them.

I also have dewberries(wild small blackberries that have thorns and trail along, rather than have upright canes.)than I could possibly dig and bring. If you are into berries, I also have some Dorman red raspberries. I could dig a start for you. They are supposed to be the only ones that tolerate Texas heat.

(I just figured we could email phone numbers, as I didn't think you'd want to post directions to your private home on a public forum on the internet).

Well, I am not sure about the noisettes. I'd love to decide when I see them. I really lack space for sun right now, so have to be picky, but may be cutting down large tree, and if we do, I'll have a lot more sunny spots...

I'd also like to know if the dates are set? I actually would have a lot more free time from Feb 14-19th...
-T
melvatoo
Denton, TX
(Zone 7a)

January 27, 2005
2:33 PM

Post #1260311

So far, I have some people coming to help me on Valentines Day and the 26th (a Saturday) and the 27th (a Sunday) I hope the weather cooperates! Afterall, this is Texas, and the weather has a mind of its own.
I have found homes for some of the roses...all the Austins...but there will be more. I am flat running out of room, and I have to part with some of the ones that I have, to make room for new ones. So there is nothing wrong with the Roses that I am parting with...other than my fickle nature, of wanting to try something new. It is my yard, and I am the Queen!
Another rose that needs to go, is Multiflora...it was the rootstock of a grafted one that I had..it has a pretty white, single flowers...
Another one is Kronn Princess Victoria, a Bourbon and it is a nice rose, but...
Tiffany Lynn it is a Mini. and is very pretty, one of its parents is the Hybrid Tea, Tiffany, it is Pink.
I have just started looking around, I am sure there will be more...
Did I mention there will be CAKE! what kind should it be?

This message was edited Jan 27, 2005 10:23 AM
rose_petalzz
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 27, 2005
2:39 PM

Post #1260317

What a great idea,; I need to do that!!!! My yard is overgrown with plants, and quite a few that need moving. I am planning a backyard wedding in June, good luck with your request and I know you will have fun. I should have thought of this a long time ago. What kind of cake???? Awe just kidding with ya, I love it!!!! Wish I could go help you out. Happy gardening, and what a lovely Valentines day present to get and give!!!!
melvatoo
Denton, TX
(Zone 7a)

January 27, 2005
2:42 PM

Post #1260322

I don't know what kind of cake, I am going to make a couple of them...any suggestions? Good luck with the Wedding, it will be gorgeous!
seedpicker_TX
(Taylor) Plano, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 27, 2005
3:19 PM

Post #1260373

Hm...dropping big hints here...
...most everyone loves chocolate cake, and I especially like those funfetti cake mixes with a cream cheese icing on top. I usually make that for myself on my birthdays! lol...
-T
melvatoo
Denton, TX
(Zone 7a)

January 27, 2005
3:22 PM

Post #1260382

Okay... thanks, Taylor!
TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX
(Zone 6b)

January 27, 2005
11:25 PM

Post #1261137

In the recipe forum there was a thread for fix mixes, and it had great and easy recipes that tasted so rich, where's that cow? LOL May take a while to find, as no one has posted there since the holiday.
Wish I could come, but you wouldn't want two small children digging things up too :-)
TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX
(Zone 6b)

January 27, 2005
11:30 PM

Post #1261142

Here it is, yummy, rich and EASY...

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/449839/
melvatoo
Denton, TX
(Zone 7a)

January 27, 2005
11:45 PM

Post #1261173

Thanks Tamara, actually, there are going to be some kids there, not sure of the ages...You would be welcome! I would love to actually meet you in person!
melvatoo
Denton, TX
(Zone 7a)

January 28, 2005
8:27 PM

Post #1262530

Here is Karen's list:
Yellow Charles Austin
Graham Thomas
Falstaff
Cymballine
Madama Alfred Carriere... gone
Cl Cecille Brunner
Golden Showers
Cl Iceberg
Cl Pinkie
Lovers Delite
Duchess de Brabant
Sombreill
Erfurt
Melodie parfume..gone
Sally Holmes
Scentimental
Rosa Rugosa
Orangeade
Rachel Bowles Lyons
Priscilla Burton
Caruso
New Dawn
Rockin Robin
Cl Old Blish
Cl Fairy

This message was edited Jan 28, 2005 4:13 PM
seedpicker_TX
(Taylor) Plano, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 28, 2005
8:32 PM

Post #1262534

Is graham thomas yellow, or peach? The pictures on the net are conficting...
wow! She be packing/digging up a lot! lol...
seedpicker_TX
(Taylor) Plano, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 28, 2005
8:39 PM

Post #1262543

Madame Alfred Carriere for me!, please!
But still looking them all up
I am going to owe her a wad! lol...
melvatoo
Denton, TX
(Zone 7a)

January 28, 2005
8:50 PM

Post #1262558

Graham Thomas is a very nice yellow...see? I will mark you down for the Madame...(good choice!)
seedpicker_TX
(Taylor) Plano, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 28, 2005
9:02 PM

Post #1262578

and the melody parfumee, too!, please...
and that is all, whew!
thank you!
melvatoo
Denton, TX
(Zone 7a)

January 28, 2005
9:10 PM

Post #1262600

Are you sure? LOL! Anyone else? To tell the story to everyone, Karen, is a good friend who lives near me, in Shady Shores...she rents her house, and the Landlady may be going to sell it, and Karen has scads of roses that she needs to get rid of...so, when and if she does have to move, it won't be such an ordeal...some of them are pretty big, so I am not sure if any could be shipped...maybe...contact me, and I can find out. She has a computer, but she is just learning how to work it...and right now the computer is winning, and its not working at all.
At first she told me she wanted $ for the roses, but she is such a fool for roses, she is open to trading, if it is something she really wants.
TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX
(Zone 6b)

January 29, 2005
2:32 AM

Post #1263088

Well, Melva, getting out of here for a weekend is awfully tempting. Maybe I could talk my sister into coming up from Beaumont. She LOVES roses. We'll see...
melvatoo
Denton, TX
(Zone 7a)

January 29, 2005
2:42 AM

Post #1263111

Oh Tamara!
That would be wonderful! Either day, I have people coming Sunday who can't make it on Saturday, and the other way around...

This message was edited Jan 28, 2005 9:43 PM
TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX
(Zone 6b)

January 29, 2005
2:57 AM

Post #1263135

Right now I can't even get my sis on teh phone. She may be tired after a long work week, or depressed that this was her last week as a temp with the Park Sevice...

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Texas Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
who grows peonies in houston area? vossner 20 Jun 18, 2012 7:58 PM
Texas Invasives List PvillePlanter 18 Mar 14, 2014 5:34 PM
Anyone Up For A Chat? dstartz 29 Jun 30, 2007 5:44 PM
DGrs in SW houston vossner 5 Dec 29, 2013 2:55 PM
Mock Orange in a big pot? mkjones 21 Aug 15, 2011 1:29 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America