Hard to believe how time has flown, but the16th DG annual photo contest has begun! Find the details here. Best wishes to all the entrants!!!

Favorite Rhubarb recipes

Salina, UT(Zone 4a)

Ok all you wonderful cooks! Let's see how many variations on this theme we can come up with! YUUUUUMMMMMM!!

Nanaimo, BC(Zone 8b)

Strawberry/rubarb pie. yum.

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

I'm supposed to be getting an AWESOME rhubarb cream pie recipe from my great aunt via my mom. (It took me four years to track down the source of this particular pie that was brought to the family reunion back in '97!)

As soon as I get it, I'll post it. It's just about 100% guaranteed to make a rhubarb lover out of anyone - I think the rhubarb is pureed, and it tastes almost like a sour cream raisin pie, except it's got the tartness of rhubarb. Making my mouth water just talking about it! As soon as the recipe arrives, I'll post it, I promise!

southeast, NE

This bar is really good:

3 cups chopped rhubarb
1 1/2 c sugar
2 Tbsp corn starch
1/4 cup water
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup margarine or butter, softened but not melted
1 1/2 cup flour
1 1/2 cup oatmeal
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 tsp soda
1/2 cup nuts
1 tsp cinnamon

Dissolve cornstarch in water. Combine with rhubarb, sugar and vanilla. Cook till thick. In different bowl stir together flour, oatmeal, cinnamon, brown sugar and soda. Cut in shortening as for pie crust. Line bottom of a 9 x 13 inch pan with a little more than 1/2 the dough. pat down and spread with filling, then sprinkle the remaining crumbs on top. Bake 30 minutes at 350. Cool and cut into bars.

Nanaimo, BC(Zone 8b)

The bar recipe looks good I will try it today. here is one from my mother in law in Minnesota for jam.

4c rhubarb,cut finely 3c sugar
1 package of Jello 1 box frozen strawberries
Combine rhubarb and sugar. Let stand 3-5 hours. Cook until clear; remove from heat. Add 1 package strawberry Jello and 1 box of frozen strawberries. bring to boil and boil 3 minutes. Put in jars and seal.

Nanaimo, BC(Zone 8b)

Nebraska Jewel. It is a real delight, the first pan is gone,cutting more rhubarb as I type. Thanks, suggest everyone try this one.

I can not say if this is good or not. But maybe worth a try, lets hear about it if someone tries it.

4.5 lbs rhubarb (15c.)
6c. water
3 oranges
3 lemons
4c. sugar

Mix rhubarb& water; boil & strain. Add juice of lemons & oranges; add sugar.

This message was edited Saturday, Jun 23rd 9:07 PM

Durham, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

i just love a rhubarb crumble, just plain and simple served with cream, we made this the other day as my mam has a pub and someone gave her some rhubarb. you must use the dark brown muscavado sugar though :)

14 oz. unbleached white flour
14 oz. brown sugar
6 oz. butter, cut into bits
1 lb. rhubarb, cut into small pieces
2 1/2 Tbsp. lemon juice
1/2 tsp. grated lemon rind
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 tsp cinnamon
pinch cloves
Combine flour and brown sugar in mixing bowl. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
Place rhubarb in bottom of 9" pie plate, sprinkle lemon juice and rind over top, along with sugar and spices. Pile the crumble mixture on top of fruit, pressing down so that fruit is covered. Bake in a 300 deg. F. oven for 20 minutes or until top is golden and filling begins to bubble around edges. May be served hot or cold with a dollop of cream.

Salina, UT(Zone 4a)

All of these sound wonderful! Go_Vols, I'm anxiously awaiting that pie recipe.
Thanks, Birdie

Crestview, FL(Zone 7b)

Removed by member request

My favourite rhubarb recipe is the first crop of forced rhubarb, pink inside, stewed gently with sugar (no water) until it's soft but still whole, served warm, with fresh whipped cream.

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Terry, did you ever get the recipe? Posted elsewhere?

North Saanich, Canada

A new recipe for me. I have not actually made it myself, but a cousin gave me some and it is great!

2.2 pounds of chopped rhubarb
9 oz. raisins
9 oz. chopped onion
oz mustard seed
1 teaspoons cinnamon
3/4 teaspoon of powdered ginger
1 teaspoons salt
1 1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 cups vinegar
3 1/3 cups white sugar

Combine all. Bring to a boil, then simmer until reduced by half(takes about 2 hours).
Seal in jars.

North Saanich, Canada

Here's a link to some rhubarb muffin recipes:

Bay City, MI(Zone 5a)

Hi Darius,
I was wondering the same thing, if Terry posted that wonderful recipe for rhubarb cream pie? My mouth has been watering like crazy ever since I read her post :( Maybe if we send her an e-mail, she will GIVE US HER RECIPE? It's worth a try :)

Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

Yep Ia m waiting on that recipe too Terry!!

OC, CA & Twin Lakes , IA(Zone 4b)

white cake mix
2 cups rhubarb
1 cup sugar(or less, depending on the tartness of rhubarb)
1 cup whipping cream, not whipped
Line spring form pan with parchment paper, leaving no seams for batter to escape from.Mix white cake mix according to directions -- put into spring form pan, add rhubarb, put sugar over the rhubarb and pour whipping cream over top.
Bake at 350 degrees for about 1 hour.
Cool 20 minutes, turn out on plate.
This cake has the most delicious custard sauce over the top when you turn it out onto the plate. You'll love this cake, I promise.

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Sounds yummy, Arlene... :)

You know, darius, this isn't my recipe; it a dg member from Pioneer, CA-something like dguimo. I usually have the source in the recipe but not this one. Did a search on DG after I posted it and realized I had plagiarized sp?

I was looking through my files for a Rhubarb Supreme that my grandmother always made and was my favorite.

Basically you cook up rhubarb, sugar, cornstarch and use cream for the filling. Then there is meringe on top. Of course it is poured into a single pie crust that has been baked.

That is a wonderful creamy pie!

Aquebogue, NY(Zone 6a)

My neighbor gave me an apple/rhubarb pie and it was delicious!!!! They bought it from a local farmstand. Sorry, I don't have any recipes.

Clay Center, KS(Zone 5b)

I just hunted out the recipe to make this, so thought I would share it. The anise seed is what gives it a "special" lift, but we don't care for much of it.

Rhubarb Crisp

2 cups sugar
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon coarsely ground roasted anise seed (original recipe 3 1/2 Tbs.)
7 ounces cold butter
1 1/2 pounds rhubarb, (approx 5-6 cups)
Juice of one half lemon
zest of two oranges
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 400. Using an electric mixer with paddle attachment or a food processor with a metal blade, mix 1 cup sugar and flour together. Add coarsely chopped anise and cold butter. Mix just until large pea size chunks form and crumbs hold together when a handful is squeezed. Set aside.
Trim ends of rhubabr, cut into 1 inch lengths, and toss with lemon juice, orange zest, vanilla and remaining sugar. Place in a 9 inch pie pan. Cover with sugar, anise topping Bake for 45 minutes or until fruit juices are bubbling around the sides of the pan and the crisp is evenly golden.

"From Mark Miller's Coyote Cafe Cookbook"

Coos Bay, OR(Zone 9a)

Here is a super simple Rhubarb Cake.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
9 x 13 inch pan, ungreased

5 cups rhubarb cut into 1/2 inch pieces----layer evenly in bottom of pan
1 cup sugar---sprinkle evenly over the rhubarb
1 pkg. Strawberry or Raspberry of Cherry jello (lg box)---sprinkle evenly over sugar
3 cups mini marshmallows----sprinkle evenly over jello

Mix up a yellow cake mix according to directions and pour over top of all.

Bake approx. 50 mins.
PS This is a yummy cake. I just made it this morning and it baked in 45 mins. so watch it.

This message was edited Jul 9, 2010 12:46 AM

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

My grandma always made fresh rhubarb pie, and it was sooooo good!! I don't have her recipe, and rhubarb doesn't grow down here. Sometimes, though I can find it in the frozen food section. This recipe is the closest I've found to my grandma's pie:

Rhubarb Pie
From Diana Rattray

* pastry for 2-crust 9-inch pie (get deep dish!!)
* 1 1/2 pounds rhubarb, trimmed, washed
* 2 eggs
* 1 3/4 cups sugar
* 4 tablespoons flour
* 1/4 teaspoon mace or nutmeg
* dash salt
* 1/4 cup orange juice
* 1 tablespoon melted butter

Prepare pie pastry (mix or from scratch). Roll out half to a 12-inch round on a lightly floured surface. Fit pastry into a 9-inch pie plate. Trim overhang to about 1/2-inch. Cut rhubarb into 1-inch pieces (cut up rhubarb should measure about 4 cups) In a large bowl, beat eggs slightly; blend in sugar, flour, mace, salt, and orange juice. Stir in rhubarb, coating well with the batter. Spoon into the prepared pastry shell.

Roll out remaining pastry to an 11-inch round; cut several slits near the center to let steam escape then cover pie with pastry. Trim overhang to 1/2 inch and turn edges under, flush with rim; flute edge. Brush pastry with melted butter. If desired, sprinkle with a little sugar.

Place pie on a baking sheet to catch spillovers. Bake at 425 50 minutes, or until pastry is golden and juices are bubbly. Cool completely on a wire rack, then cut into wedges.

Coos Bay, OR(Zone 9a)

The recipe I love is from The Old-Fashioned FRUIT GARDEN by Jo Ann Gardner. This is a wonderful cookbook and my copy is well worn and well used, as we have lots of different fruits and berries.
The recipe is very simple and basic
She says...."The egg makes this rhubarb pie a little different, quite rich but not overly sweet. Use only tender stalks."
2 1/2 cups diced rhubarb
1 cup sugar
2 T flour
1 egg. beaten
dash salt
Pastry for a 2 crust pie
Mix all in a large bowl. Add to unbaked pie crust and add top. Prick with fork. Bake pie in a 375 degree oven approx. 50 mins or until inner juices boil over a bit.

Its a really good one. Tried and True

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

I found a recipe many, many years ago that my family loved. So simple.

Cut about 4 large stalks of rhubarb into chunks. Add enough water to cover. About 2 cups. Cook until tender. Add 1 pkg. raspberry jell-o. Stir well and pour into a bowl to cool. The amount of water used will decide whether this is a set up dessert/side dish or thinner. We like it as a jelly/jam.

I need to get out there and cut some rhubarb and make some.

Pioneer, CA

Here is a sauce that is so good over ice cream or angel food cake:
3 cups 1 inch pieces fresh rhubarb
1 cup sugar
1 cup halved fresh strawberries
1 tablespoon cornstarch
2 tablespoons water

Combine rhubarb, sugar,and 1/3 cup water in saucepan, bring to a boil. Reduce heat,cover. Simmer 5 minutes. Add strawberries, cook until strawberries are tender, 2 to 3 minutes.
Blend together cornstarch and 2 tablesoons water: add to rhubarb mixture. Cook, stirring constantly, untl mixture thickens and boils, remove from heat. Chill in refrigerator until serving time.. yield 3 cups.

Cedar Rapids, IA(Zone 5b)

This cake is similar to Twinlakes Chef, but a little different:
1 white cake mix (prepare according to directions with 1/4 cup less of the amount of water called for)
Pour batter into 9x13 pan.
Put 5 cups chopped rhubarb on top of cake batter.
Sprinkle 1-1/4 cups sugar over rhubarb.
Pour 1/2 pint whipping cream on top

Bake 1 hours @ 350 or until done. When done, the rhubarb will be on the bottom of the cake. Serve the pieces upside down (rhubarb sauce on top) with whipped cream or cool whip if desired.

Cedar Rapids, IA(Zone 5b)

Here's another one:

Crust for 2-crust pie (I use Pillsbury refrigerated)
Beat slightly 3 eggs and 2-2/3 T. milk
Mix and stir in:
2 cups sugar
6 T. flour
3/4 tsp. nutmeg
4 cups rhubarb, chopped

Pour in bottom crust. Dot with butter. Cover with top crust and seal. Sprinkle lightly with sugar. Bake at 400 for 50-60 minutes.

Pioneer, CA

I was visiting family in Iowa a couple of years ago and bought a cook book at a diner, same recipe as yours is in it.I swear, that is a GOOD pie!!

Dover AFB, DE(Zone 7a)

30+ years ago I ate cherry + rhubarb pie at least 3x a week for the whole summer(I was trying to gain weight). I do not have a recipe for it - Do you? I really loved it!

Carrollton, OH(Zone 6a)

Rhubarb Nut Bread

Servings: 12
Preparation Time: 15 min.
Cooking Time: 20 min.

3/4 cup brown sugar, packed
1 egg
1/2 cup buttermilk
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. vanilla
1-1/4 cups bread flour
1-1/2 cups rhubarb, diced
1/2 cup chopped nuts
1-1/2 tsp. butter, softened
2 Tbs. granulated sugar

This Recipe is considered:
Low Cholesterol

Cooking Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 F. Combine first 2 ingredients in a bowl. Stir until smooth. Add the next 6 ingredients. Blend until moist. Fold in rhubarb and nuts. Pour batter into greased 8 x 4 inches loaf pan. In a separate bowl, combine butter and sugar. Mix until crumbly. Spread on top of batter. Bake at 350 F for 50-55 minutes, or until a tester comes out clean when inserted in center. Place on wire rack and let cool before slicing.

Per Serving: calories 153, fat 4.0g, calories from fat 24%, protein 3.3g, cholesterol 17.2mg, dietary fiber 1.2g

Nutrients Exchanges
Calories 153 Milk Exchanges 0.0
Protein 3.3g Vegetable Exchanges 0.0
Carbohydrates 27.0g Fruit Exchanges 0.0
Dietary Fiber 1.2g Bread Exchanges 0.6
Sugar 16.9g Other Carbohydrates/Sugar Exchanges 0.8
Fat Total 4.0g Lean Meat Exchanges 0.2
Saturated Fat 0.8g Very Lean Meat/Protein Exchanges 0.0
Mono-unsaturated Fat 2.3g Fat Exchanges 0.7
Poly-unsaturated Fat 0.9g
% Calories from Fat 24%
Cholesterol 17.2mg
Sodium 171.6mg
Vitamins Minerals
Vitamin A 13.8IU Calcium 54.9mg
Thiamin (B1) 0.3mg Copper 0.2mg
Riboflavin (B2) 0.3mg Iron 1.2mg
Niacin (B3) 1.1mg Magnesium 26.0mg
Vitamin B6 0.2mg Manganese 0.3mg
Vitamin B12 0.1mcg Phosphorus 62.1mg
Vitamin C 1.4mg Potassium 164.3mg
Vitamin E 2.3IU Selenium 5.6mcg
Folate 9.8mcg Sodium 171.6mg
Pantothenic Acid 0.3mg Zinc 0.4mg

Coos Bay, OR(Zone 9a)

We love Strawberry/Rhubarb Jam. The two marry together beautifully. Yum! The following is the old fashioned way of making jam.
1 Qt. hulled strawberries
1 lb. rhubarb or about 3 cups cut into 1/2 inch pieces
1 cup water
4 cups sugar

Mash the berries in a large pot. (Always use a very large pot when making jam or jelly)
Cut rhubarb in 1/2" slices and add to berries. Add water, cover and simmer until fruit is soft.
Add sugar and bring to rolling boil, stirring all the while. Then, stirring as necessary, boil uncovered approx. 20 mins. or until mixture thickens and begins to cling to the bottom of the pot.
Remove from heat and let subside. Fill hot jars to within 1/8" from the top of a jam jar and seal at once.
I get about 6- 1/2 pt. jars
This recipe is from The Old Fashioned Fruit Garden

Longboat Key, FL(Zone 9b)

Rhubarb Oatmeal Crumble
1 C all purpose flour
1 C Sugar divided
1 C rolled oats quick or regular uncooked
3 C diced Rhubarb- or 2 C Rhubarb and 1C strawberries.
1/2 C melted Butter
1/2 t salt
1/2-1 t cinnamon
Sift flour add salt and 1/2 C sugar, stir in oats, Stir in melted butter until mixture is crumbly
Combined rhubarb, 1/2 C sugar, 1 tbs flour cinnamon. Turn into 9" glass baking dish
Sprinkle oat mix over fruit mix and bake at 350 degrees for 45- 60 min. until top is slightly browned.
i make this with Apples, other berries, peaches...

Rhubarb Custard Pie - Open face
From Amana Colonies in Iowa - this is delicious
3-1/2C chopped rhubarb or frozen, unsweetened thawed
1 and 1-2/C Granulated Sugar
3 Eggs slightly beaten
1/4 C half and half
1/8 t Salt
4 T Flour
one 8" unbaked pie shell
preheat oven to 375. Combine first 5 ingredient in a large bow, sprinkle flour over bottom of Pie shell. Spread Rhubarb mix into shell. Bake on lower third rack of oven until set. About 1 hr.

This message was edited Apr 28, 2009 4:24 PM

Rhubarb Streusel Cake- Glamour Mag, for a June pick me up
1-1/2 C all purpose Flour
1/4 C Granulated Sugar
1-1/ t baking powder
1/4 t salt
5 T Butter, cold cut into small pieces
1 Egg
1/2 C milk
1/2t Vanilla
3 C thinly sliced rhubarb
3 T butter melted
3/4 C brown sugar
1/2 t Cinnamon

In food processor combine,first 5 ingredients. Pulse until mix resembles cornmeal. In small bow beat egg with milk and vanilla. Stir into dry ingredient until just blended
Spread batter into a 9" greased square baking pan. Spread rhubarb over top and press in very lightly. Melt butter, stir in brown sugar and cinnamon- do not melt sugar, sprinkle over rhubarb. Bake 400 for 25-30 minuted until pick comes out clean. Cool serve warm or room temp. Vanilla Ice cream with it or whipped cream.

This message was edited Jul 22, 2011 10:25 AM

Savannah, MO(Zone 5b)

beebonnet that strawberry/ rhubarb jam looks delicious.

Coos Bay, OR(Zone 9a)

It really is delicious, Cuckoo. Our favorite right after Cherry Amaretto.

Carrollton, OH(Zone 6a)

Cherry Amaretto!!!!!!!!........I want that recipe........

Coos Bay, OR(Zone 9a)

Really easy, Synda. You go to the liquor store and buy one of those little tiny airplane type bottles of Amaretto liqueur. Then, when your pie cherries come on you pick and pit approx. 31/2 cups of cherries. Put them in your food processor along with the little bottle of Amaretto.
Chop to your liking. Proceed with the directions of 1 pkg. of MCP pectin.
Makes about 4 little (1/2 pt.) jars.
Or you can make the jam according to the MCP directions and after removing from heat add a 1/2 to 1 little bottle.

Savannah, MO(Zone 5b)

Sounds delicious too! Cuckoo

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.