Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Texas Gardening: Is spring here?

Communities > Forums > Texas Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Texas GardeningReplies: 103, Views: 583
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
makihopng
Austin, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 3, 2005
3:47 PM

Post #1271251

Oh my gosh, what a beautiful day. Feels like spring and I am just itching to get my hands in the dirt. Would be more like in the mud, everything is so wet here. I know its a little early to start planting but I hear all my seeds calling me "Maki, Maki -me first"
Will just have to resist the temptation and browse DG instead. Have a great day everyone.
Maki
trunnels
Plano, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 3, 2005
7:50 PM

Post #1271603

Welcome, Maki! And you're right about this gorgeous day. I'll be glad when the days start getting longer so it will be daylight when I leave the office. Spring will be here before we know it!
Terrie
FrannieK
Angleton, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 3, 2005
9:28 PM

Post #1271700

It is still chilly and overcast here but tomorrow it is suppose to be sunny. A couple weeks ago it was warm and I was wearing shorts. Winters here are like that and I know spring will not be here for me until March and even then, we can have a couple very chilly nights.
Calalily
Deep South Coastal, TX
(Zone 10a)

February 3, 2005
9:38 PM

Post #1271718

It is chilly and cloudy here too. I'm ready for sunshine.
trunnels
Plano, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 3, 2005
10:10 PM

Post #1271776

Our downtown temperature is 53 right now so we've had a fairly nice day. I think it is supposed to be in the 60s tomorrow. Yipee!!
Kauai17
Leander, TX
(Zone 8b)

February 4, 2005
3:59 PM

Post #1272770

Hey there. I couldn't resist going outside yesterday, the sun was calling my name! I just did a little pruning. Hopefully we won't see any more freezing temps.
trunnels
Plano, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 4, 2005
9:37 PM

Post #1273221

Well I'm sure my area is in for a few more freezes. We're never safe until the middle of March.

WillowWasp

WillowWasp
Jones Creek, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 4, 2005
11:19 PM

Post #1273339

Yall better not get to CrAzY...winter is not quite over for us yet...read your almanac and you will see we still have one more cold spell to endure. Then we will be good to go...
we are almost there.
Dee
konkreteblond
Burleson, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 4, 2005
11:29 PM

Post #1273344

I lost all willpower today and bought plants! But I did good and only bought 2 poppies. I've never grown them before and from what I hear they should bloom now. That should satisfy my urge for a few days. :)
makihopng
Austin, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 5, 2005
1:16 AM

Post #1273441

Ooo Terri, the mention of longer days makes me more impatient. DH always pays the price, our dinners get later and later the more we get into summer. Can't get me out of the yard. I did take advantage of our sunshine the last few days and started digging up a new flower bed. Sure felt great playing in the dirt again.

konkreteblond, where is Burleson? I think poppies are very hardy. I planted some seeds in the fall and they are doing great, along with some of the Texas Blue Bonnets. No signs of flowering but getting more foliage and looking strong and healthy.

Hanging in there until March...Maki
konkreteblond
Burleson, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 5, 2005
4:20 PM

Post #1274024

Maki, Burleson is just south of Fort Worth. We are now "famous" for being the home of American Idol's Kelly Clarkson. lol I'm very excited to grow something new, and have something to plant now! I'm craving that dirt under my nails! You can't get me out of the yard once the weather turns nice either. I'm out doing stuff of any sort until dark. I am trying to get some of my inside painting etc taken care of because I know that time is getting closer!

trunnels
Plano, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 7, 2005
3:40 PM

Post #1277426

Well, Saturday was beautiful here and I worked in the yard all day for the first time in a couple of months. My thighs are broken!! Seriously, it's embarrassing here at work today because I can hardly walk. LOL

This message was edited Feb 8, 2005 9:46 AM
texasgarden
Dallas, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 7, 2005
10:35 PM

Post #1278021

Ha Terrie! I am feeling that too. Not because of planting, but it's related. After much debate (translate that to fighting if you want), DH and I compromised and I bought the invisible/radio fencing stuff to keep my dogs out of my garden areas. The Great Debate/Fight 2005 (so far) was my wanting to have Invisible Fence installed. It's professionally done, but costs $1400 for my yard. And that's just to do my beds- not even the yard like most people do. Anyway, the DIY kits were about $400 once I bought the extra collar for dog #2. It's the exact same thing, but you have to do it yourself. He couldn't get past spending a grand on labor. But you know what, I was about to KILL those dogs. And you can't even let them out to do their business because they trample EVERYTHING. So anyway, I agreed to do the DIY thing if he agreed to "DIY" ASAP. :) So on Saturday we laid out the wire where I wanted it, tested it, etc. Then, on Sunday, in that nice day-long drizzle we had, we buried it. It was such fun! Not. So I had no idea how much that "squat, crab crawl to the right" routine was working my legs as we worked around the yard getting that wire under the dirt! It was only about 2 inches that we had to bury it, but still. My legs are paying the price. Today my inner and outer thighs are just killing me. And it's embarrassing because I am walking so funny. Ha! But it's worth it to keep my holy terror dogs out of my plants! Tomorrow we begin day one of the training process...
trunnels
Plano, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 8, 2005
2:51 PM

Post #1278977

Well, my legs are a little bit better today, but not by much. I can't believe just two months of no gardening can do this to me.

Hope your invisible fence works! With your big dogs, I know how fast all of your hard work goes down the drain once they make a run through the beds. DH will be much happier now that he won't have to worry about you killing the dogs. lol
texasgarden
Dallas, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 8, 2005
4:19 PM

Post #1279088

Well Terrie, mine hurt worse today! Normally I am sorer on day 2. Goes to show how long it's been since I busted out my "The Firm" workout tapes. I used to do them every other day, but not lately! Too lazy! :)

Its funny b/c before we got Willis last summer, everything was fine. People see him (boxer/pit mix about 55 pounds) and then see Apollo (135 pound Great Dane) and assume Apollo is the "bad" one! He is actually a saint! The only thing he does is stand IN my oleander b/c he thinks he's hiding. :) But he doesn't step on any plants. Even in my shade bed next to the fence (and up against a sidewalk) he walks over to see people walking by and goes around my plants. All he has ever done is ever so gently pull up a couple of plants, mainly hosta, and lay them next to the planting hole. He repeats this until I move the plant. Even if it's just a few inches. I can't decide if he is a garden critic or just weird! Willis, on the other hand, is baaaad. He is completely insane and runs full speed around the yard, through the flower beds, over rose bushes and keeps running, thorns and all in his paws. Then Apollo gives in and chases him. Even then, he is pretty good about staying on the sidewalk path and in the grass and looking at me like "mom look what he's doing!" I have told Mr. Willis countless times that his over the top cute face and sweet disposition have saved his life... more than once! Anyway, the bark collar worked to keep him from barking in his crate in like one night. He doesn't like that "zap" and really did respond well. I am hoping it works for the yard too. Bad thing is poor Apollo has lost access to his oleander. :)

As for DH, if the dogs were doing that when my plants were in bloom, HE would be in danger of bodily harm too! LOL! With things being dormant, I think pretty much all is safe. Except a couple of climbing roses and a japanese maple which I'm sure are goners. I do have a bit of hope- I will leave them and see what happens in the spring.
trunnels
Plano, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 8, 2005
7:21 PM

Post #1279297

Well, today IS my third day. LOL Hopefully you will be better tomorrow.
And I know what you mean about "completely insane and runs full speed around the yard, through the flower beds," cause my little Josie does the same thing when she hear's the neighbor on the other side of the fence or when someone walks down the alley behind my house. If I am outside when this happens, she will run along the brick walk in front of my beds but I have caught her running and jumping through my beds when she thinks I am not out there or not looking! This is the only thing she has ever been spanked for (and I have been told by DH and kids that my "spankings" are about as deterring as giving her sugar). When I have new, fragile babies coming up in the spring, I sometimes put stakes around them so that Josie doesn't "accidentally" jump on them in her excitement. Of course, she is only about 15 pounds so it isn't quite the same as Apollo running over them.
texasgarden
Dallas, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 8, 2005
8:59 PM

Post #1279416

Ha! Well 15 pounds of dog running through a flower bed can still tear it up. Apollo has NEVER run right down the middle of it like Willis. But he gets to going full speed and can't slow himself down so he steps in the edge of it. I set the wires for the fence to where they get a warning beep a couple of steps BEFORE they get to the edge. That way they don't get zapped just running next to it. We live on a corner lot and have a 4 ft wrought iron fence. So they see LOTS of people traffic walking up and down the sidewalk that runs by our house. So they run to the fence and run up and down the fence line. In the process they run over things I have planted. Mostly this fall, so it just now became a real issue. I guess in Willis' defense, he is still considered a puppy. As a pup Apollo chewed off entire base boards, window sills, etc. In an 80+ year old house in a historic district, I was livid! All original wood until we came along and the dog ate it. LOL! Yesterday I came home to find that Willis ate a dictionary. NICE. I love big dogs but prefer to get them full grown as opposed to puppies.

I hope I'm not sore tomorrow! It will be day 3 so I'm hoping it will be ok.
maggiemoo
Conroe, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 13, 2005
5:24 AM

Post #1286520

I know it's really too early... even though I saw a HUGE flock of robins moving through here last week... even though some of my poppies have been blooming for about a month... even though some of the delphinium is blooming... even though the daylillies are starting to push up... even though some of my roses are either putting on loads of buds or outright blooming... even though I can really tell that the days are a little longer and the sun is a little higher...

No, maybe Spring really IS here! But I'll be careful (darn it!) and watch out for one more frost.
moonlighting
Needville, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 15, 2005
11:00 PM

Post #1290481

I think Spring is here :)
imway2dumb
Gordonville, TX
(Zone 7b)

February 15, 2005
11:27 PM

Post #1290523

Nope! LOL
moonlighting
Needville, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 15, 2005
11:37 PM

Post #1290535

LOL...
trunnels
Plano, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 16, 2005
3:23 AM

Post #1290865

Boy, it has really felt like spring the last few days here. 83 today but weatherman says it will drop 30 degrees by tomorrow. Oh, well. Too good to be true.
maggiemoo
Conroe, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 16, 2005
3:33 AM

Post #1290877

Yeah, I live in fear that after my spring flowers start blooming in earnest (based on the warm temps), we'll get another frost that will kill everything. This is my first spring to have poppies, delphinium, foxglove, as well as the rest of my garden already planted (was just building the beds this time last year.)

WillowWasp

WillowWasp
Jones Creek, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 16, 2005
3:49 AM

Post #1290902

My gut feeling is that winter is over and spring is here, the almanac says differently but it has been wrong before. I would hate to buy ore start a buncha seed only to have a late frost or just nasty cold weather ruin them all.
We only have a few more weeks to wait so its not so bad now.

I have morning glorys, tomatos, castor bean, cup and saucer vines, and a couple more things going so I am keeping my fingers crossed. Most of my brugs are coming back for the roots so I really want this to be over and have my stuff blooming again.

Dee
maggiemoo
Conroe, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 16, 2005
1:24 PM

Post #1291311

"I really want this to be over and have my stuff blooming again."

Amen!
texasgarden
Dallas, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 16, 2005
2:13 PM

Post #1291408

DON'T FALL FOR IT!!!! I do this EVERY year. I get tricked into thinking it's really spring, even though I know full well I need to wait until the end of March to say that. Then spring fever really starts getting to me and I start planting away. Two years in a row we have had a nasty ice storm in late February/early March. So I am waiting for that. Both times I have lost my first plant purchases of the year!!! :) It's not so much another drop in the mercury I am afraid of, since it rarely stays cold enough long enough to do any serious damage. It's that waking up to 3 inches of ICE that I am worried about. I took pictures yesterday of my happy little hyacinths popping up all over the place and tried to explain to them that the camellia is blooming b/c it's supposed to bloom in winter, but they need to go back to sleep for a few more weeks. They won't listen though. :)

Jamie
imway2dumb
Gordonville, TX
(Zone 7b)

February 16, 2005
4:24 PM

Post #1291604

And, if a late frost doesn't getcha an April hail storm might. Have to accept those things if they happen and be aware of the risks. The weather is both friend and foe. ;-)
trunnels
Plano, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 16, 2005
4:32 PM

Post #1291616

John,
I know what you mean by the hail storm. It got me year before last and I was just sick. All of my perennials had just started to show off when the hail tromped them all to the ground. Of course, they came back, after a a few weeks but it just made me cry.
imway2dumb
Gordonville, TX
(Zone 7b)

February 16, 2005
4:37 PM

Post #1291631

I lost all my tomato starts a few years ago.
trunnels
Plano, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 16, 2005
6:25 PM

Post #1291897

:-(
imway2dumb
Gordonville, TX
(Zone 7b)

February 16, 2005
7:16 PM

Post #1292011

Set new starts out May 7 and ended up w/ a very good crop anyway! :-)
trunnels
Plano, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 16, 2005
7:40 PM

Post #1292058

Well I'll be new to growing tomatoes this year (although I grew up with fresh tomatoes from my mother's garden). Isn't April a little early to have tomatoes out? I'm not suggesting, just asking. :-)
imway2dumb
Gordonville, TX
(Zone 7b)

February 16, 2005
8:55 PM

Post #1292199

Yeah, its pushing it. :-)
maggiemoo
Conroe, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 16, 2005
9:01 PM

Post #1292211

We rarely get ice down here, even when it gets really cold, but it sure does surprise us once in a while. I think the local gardening people here say late March to early April is when we have to start tomatoes, since it heats up so fast. But then, I haven't been successful with them (finally gave up), so maybe that's why. :-)
trunnels
Plano, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 16, 2005
9:11 PM

Post #1292238

Anyone know what the Texas Almanac says about when our last chance of frost is?
texasgarden
Dallas, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 16, 2005
9:16 PM

Post #1292248

Terrie-

Seems like I read one time that it is March 31. But I think that was just a general "zone 8" date and not from the Texas Almanac.

I just use a general rule of thumb that the "safe" time is Easter weekend. Easier for me to remember stuff if I associate it with a holiday. Cut back mums on 4th of July, prune trees on Valentine's Day (got that one from the arborist), first frost is Thanksgiving, etc. :)
trunnels
Plano, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 16, 2005
9:23 PM

Post #1292257

I'll have to call my mom. I remember her telling me last year that it was something like April 13th. Will check and come back.
imway2dumb
Gordonville, TX
(Zone 7b)

February 16, 2005
11:23 PM

Post #1292461

Give your local CES agent a call an ask. They know everything. ;-) Average last frost is mid April for me here in Grayson County. I usually am willing to push that date for tomatos b/c I can hardly wait for that first ripe mater!!

John
maggiemoo
Conroe, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 16, 2005
11:27 PM

Post #1292471

Yes, the County Extension Service will know the last frost date for your area. It's Feb 5th for us, so you can see why I want to push Spring NOW!
imway2dumb
Gordonville, TX
(Zone 7b)

February 16, 2005
11:52 PM

Post #1292506

For you it is spring, Maggie!
trunnels
Plano, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 17, 2005
1:41 AM

Post #1292666

February 5th??? Oh, Maaaaaaaaaaggie. Did you mean March or April?
maggiemoo
Conroe, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 17, 2005
2:09 AM

Post #1292719

Nope, it really is *February* 5th. Yippee!!!

WillowWasp

WillowWasp
Jones Creek, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 17, 2005
2:49 AM

Post #1292811

I hope the Almanac is right that way I can keep what I have planted and get more going. I planted my 4o'clocks and purple majisty Millet. I would like to get my marigolds and cone flowers started tomorrow. And add a few more Morning Glories while I'm at it.

Dee
maggiemoo
Conroe, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 17, 2005
2:52 AM

Post #1292817

Oy, Dee! That's beautiful!

WillowWasp

WillowWasp
Jones Creek, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 17, 2005
3:05 AM

Post #1292844

I had some beauties last year and sure hope to have more this year. That one was Chinese "White Phoenix" and this one is Pink Shibouri...I just love all of them.

Dee
texasgarden
Dallas, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 17, 2005
12:29 PM

Post #1293227

here is my "spring is here" evidence... sort of :)

Grape Hyacinth
texasgarden
Dallas, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 17, 2005
12:31 PM

Post #1293233

Close-up of those hyacinth blooms...
texasgarden
Dallas, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 17, 2005
12:31 PM

Post #1293236

Smaller variety of hyacinth... can y'all tell I like this stuff?
texasgarden
Dallas, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 17, 2005
12:34 PM

Post #1293240

Flowering groundcover- says "early spring" soooo, maybe it really is! BTW- I planted this stuff in May/June 2003 and it says it is "fast spreading." Well there it sat, staying green, but not spreading AT ALL. And it never bloomed either. I noticed these blooms the other day, and went to take a picture. As I cleared the mulch off the plant, I noticed it had tripled in size since late summer! I'm so glad it finally took off... now watch it become invasive. Ha!
texasgarden
Dallas, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 17, 2005
12:36 PM

Post #1293244

I know it doesn't really count since they are supposed to bloom in winter, but it just looks so pretty that I had to share. :) This is my Mrs. Charles Cobb camellia. She budded up in late fall but the first bloom just came out a couple of weeks ago. Now they are all opening! I have one other one with buds, but no signs of opening. It wasn't a healthy plant so I babied it all last season just to green it up. It's more green than yellow now, which is good news, but I don't think it will bloom this year. I have one other one that is too young to bloom. My 4th one died this summer. Still not sure why.
brendabloomer
Center, TX
(Zone 8b)

February 18, 2005
11:11 AM

Post #1295267

Gotta love Texas! 80's all week this week and mid 60's today. My plants are confussed. My burgs are all starting to come up. If we do get our Easter cold spell I'll be out covering them all up. We've had about 6 inches of rain in the last 2 weeks so parts of my yard are standing in water with more rain in the forcast for the weekend. I have a four day weekend and I'll be out there planting my seeds rain or shine.
Mel71
Driftwood, TX

February 21, 2005
3:50 PM

Post #1300474

Hi from Wimberley we are so happy to have found this site and most definitely have "spring fever" today is beautiful, sunny and oh so warm already!

Starting seeds...waiting for a shipment from Burpee today.

I could definitely deal with an early spring...lol.

Great day to all~
Mel
trunnels
Plano, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 21, 2005
3:52 PM

Post #1300478

And a big welcome to you, Mel! Where is Driftwood?
Terrie

This message was edited Feb 21, 2005 10:52 AM
imway2dumb
Gordonville, TX
(Zone 7b)

February 21, 2005
4:30 PM

Post #1300597

Hey Mel71, welcome to DG!!

John
maggiemoo
Conroe, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 21, 2005
4:40 PM

Post #1300616

Mel, glad you found us!
Mel71
Driftwood, TX

February 21, 2005
4:52 PM

Post #1300636

Hello all!

What a friendly site this is...very refreshing! =) TY for the most kind welcome and Dritwood is actually sorta in between Wimberley and Dripping Springs which is south of Austin. Beautiful hill country here.

Glad I found you also Maggie!

Mel71
Driftwood, TX

February 21, 2005
4:58 PM

Post #1300645

P.S.

My "transplanted yankee boss/friend" lol...he told me to type that...wants to know if anyone in the Austin area has had any success with Peonies? Hope I spelled that right.

Thank you much!
Mel
trunnels
Plano, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 21, 2005
5:07 PM

Post #1300661

Mel,
May I suggest that you post a new thread in the Texas Gardening Forum with a subject like "Peonies in South Texas" or something like that.
maggiemoo
Conroe, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 21, 2005
5:13 PM

Post #1300677

Oh, now I remember where that is! Last early October a friend of mine and her daughter took me on a tour of "Provence in Texas" (the daughter lives in Kyle) and I think we passed through there on the way from a goat farm (excellent goat cheese), to a lavendar farm, to Fredericksberg (Herb Farm restaurant), and finally to Wildseed Farms. We had the best time, and hope to do it again in April, when the lavender fields will be in bloom.

As for peonies, I can only say that I've read in several places that TX is too hot for peonies to do well, but I may be thinking more of this Gulf coast area. I'd recommend checking with the County Extension Service in you area, as they are likely to have master gardeners there who would certainly know... Unless, of course, someone from here chimes on in.
trunnels
Plano, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 21, 2005
5:17 PM

Post #1300685

Maggie, there are lavender fields in Texas? I have to check out the Provence Tour!!

Mel,
I understand that tree peonies do better here than the non-tree peonies (whatever they are called).
maggiemoo
Conroe, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 21, 2005
5:30 PM

Post #1300704

Oh yes, Texas Monthly did an article on how much the Hill Country and surronding area is like Provence in climate, etc. There are several lavender farms, lots of goat cheese making, and wineries, to boot!

http://www.hillcountrylavender.com/Aboutus.html
http://www.beckervineyards.com/
trunnels
Plano, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 21, 2005
5:48 PM

Post #1300747

Thank you, Maggie, for those links! Sounds like a wonderful weekend trip in May.
maggiemoo
Conroe, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 21, 2005
11:04 PM

Post #1301266

You know, there's a TX roundup in Kerrville 4/23/05, you'd already be in the area... just go ahead and stay for a week!
Mel71
Driftwood, TX

February 22, 2005
3:27 PM

Post #1302264

Hi everyone...hope you are all having a wonderful day! Still waiting on my seeds from Burpee? lol

Where is the sun?

=) mel
imway2dumb
Gordonville, TX
(Zone 7b)

February 22, 2005
3:34 PM

Post #1302271

Sunny here Mel.
Mel71
Driftwood, TX

February 22, 2005
4:03 PM

Post #1302325

heehe...lucky you! Where is Gordonville?
imway2dumb
Gordonville, TX
(Zone 7b)

February 22, 2005
4:26 PM

Post #1302367

Due north of D/FW two miles south of the Red/Lake Texoma. We are midway between the two.
Mel71
Driftwood, TX

February 22, 2005
4:27 PM

Post #1302369

Excellent...send some sunshine our way huh? lol
imway2dumb
Gordonville, TX
(Zone 7b)

February 22, 2005
4:31 PM

Post #1302380

I'll try. ;)
jdee
Paris, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 22, 2005
11:24 PM

Post #1303257

We've had two beautiful days. I'm really getting the planting bug.
imway2dumb
Gordonville, TX
(Zone 7b)

February 22, 2005
11:44 PM

Post #1303295

Squish it. It ain't spring! LOL
jdee
Paris, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 23, 2005
1:08 AM

Post #1303442

squish, squish. *sniff *
imway2dumb
Gordonville, TX
(Zone 7b)

February 23, 2005
1:13 AM

Post #1303454

It's right around the corner, though. I've already started talking to the plants as I putter around.

WillowWasp

WillowWasp
Jones Creek, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 23, 2005
1:34 AM

Post #1303491

I'm Plantin...no matter what ...I'm plantin NOW...

lololol...just to nice to stay inside and if it does get cold well yall can
say "I told you so" But I think winter is over for me and the deep South. (Hope
so anyway)
And I won't care either...LOLOLO
I gettin jittery and have to do something...

Dee *o)
imway2dumb
Gordonville, TX
(Zone 7b)

February 23, 2005
1:41 AM

Post #1303507

According to the forcast it will NOT be spring in N Texas tomorrow. Drat.
jdee
Paris, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 23, 2005
1:43 AM

Post #1303513

I haven't planted the new flowers I bought today. Maybe I should bring them in tonight.
imway2dumb
Gordonville, TX
(Zone 7b)

February 23, 2005
1:51 AM

Post #1303529

Won't freeze tonight jdee but, heavy rain is forcasted for your area and mine.
jdee
Paris, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 23, 2005
2:03 AM

Post #1303556

So as long as they're under the shelter of the porch, they should be ok, right?
imway2dumb
Gordonville, TX
(Zone 7b)

February 23, 2005
2:16 AM

Post #1303579

Right!
loudigger
San Antonio, TX
(Zone 8b)

February 23, 2005
3:30 AM

Post #1303696

Welcome Mel, you will love it here, especially this Texas group. Hope you will read up about the upcoming Round Up in Kerville. Pot luck and Plant swap, fun and fellowship with Texas garden lovers. Where did you live before you came here? do you know the Quirkie gardening in this part of the country? It is lots of fun and can be very challeging. Many have zone envy for us though because we have such a great long growing season. Nice to meetcha, SEEYA, Margie aka Queen of Dirtland
brendabloomer
Center, TX
(Zone 8b)

February 23, 2005
11:08 AM

Post #1303867

Howdy Mel! DG is the greatest and I know you will love it here. Has anyone checked there Burgs. I have 7 in my yard and they're all coming up. Hope East Texas goesn't have another cold snap. I've got buckets I'll cover them up if so. I've already started planting seeds outside too. All this 80 degree weather has gotten to me, can't stand it, got to get my flowers going. I haven't planted much in the yard yet. Mostly cleaning out flower beds and I'm making a new one this year. Ya'll know everything in Texas is bigger...well my newest bed is around my 24 ft round pool. I came out 5' around it and will build a fence for my vines 2' out and have 3' to plant smaller things. Can't wait until it's finished. Will post a pic when it looks good.
Mel71
Driftwood, TX

February 23, 2005
2:42 PM

Post #1304166

Howdy back to ya Brenda! And, ty for the welcome Margie! This is truly a great site and everyone is so nice. I just got off the phone with Burpee wondering where my seeds are? lol I was assured they in route to me and should be here anytime. I am excited about spring! yes, yes, yes! I work for a winery and we have a garden here each year as well as what I do at home...It's very nice.

Happy day to all!
Mel
Mel71
Driftwood, TX

February 23, 2005
2:58 PM

Post #1304202

Margie,

I'm from Arkansas...but have lived in the hill country area of Texas for several years now and love it! I to love the long growing season but am fairly new to gardening. A few years ago I suggested we start a garden here at the winery and am very fortunate that my boss was willing and also a very good teacher. =)

I love herbs...i'm going to try to have a big herb garden of my own at home this year. Still learning...and loving every minute of it. lol

Mel

P.S.
I almost swallowed a lady bug a second ago she climbed up on my glass of water...lot's of lady bugs out this morning. hehe
imway2dumb
Gordonville, TX
(Zone 7b)

February 23, 2005
3:25 PM

Post #1304250

Lady bugs? Must be spring!
trunnels
Plano, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 23, 2005
3:40 PM

Post #1304293

I took a day off and am at home. I was just walking around outside and can't believe all the stuff that is peeping out!!
mydaisy
San Augustine, TX
(Zone 8b)

February 23, 2005
4:02 PM

Post #1304352

Ladybugs, yep! Yesterday I spotted 2 butterflys & a bumblebee!!! I tried to get pics, but they wouldn't stay still!! I've been sowing seeds outside all week. Have to stop today, pouring rain! Tulips are ALMOST open! Daffy's are...
imway2dumb
Gordonville, TX
(Zone 7b)

February 23, 2005
4:13 PM

Post #1304375

The excitement builds...
Mel71
Driftwood, TX

February 24, 2005
1:48 PM

Post #1305914

Good morning everyone from a rainy, cold Wimberely!

=) Mel
maggiemoo
Conroe, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 24, 2005
1:53 PM

Post #1305921

Yes, very rainy and cold - and getting colder - here, too.

But it's still Spring!
mydaisy
San Augustine, TX
(Zone 8b)

February 24, 2005
3:46 PM

Post #1306098

Yep, still spring. How 'bout a twist...

February flowers bring March flowers?

Heeheehee
maggiemoo
Conroe, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 24, 2005
4:15 PM

Post #1306147

I like it!
jdee
Paris, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 24, 2005
4:20 PM

Post #1306160

Where I live, we enjoyed a beautiful, sunny couple of days, but today it's cool out. BoooHoooHooo. I want spring! (stomps feet, has tantrum)
mkjones
Aurora, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 2, 2005
12:14 AM

Post #1315433

I'm SO tired of this blasted cold weather...I have NO patience left...'=
imway2dumb
Gordonville, TX
(Zone 7b)

March 2, 2005
12:57 AM

Post #1315499

Be patient, this will pass.
mydaisy
San Augustine, TX
(Zone 8b)

March 2, 2005
5:57 PM

Post #1316531

The "blasted cold weather" is still here!!! *stomping feet & throwing a tantrum* YUCK!
trunnels
Plano, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 2, 2005
7:28 PM

Post #1316679

Just another couple of weeks!
brendabloomer
Center, TX
(Zone 8b)

March 2, 2005
8:28 PM

Post #1316767

I can't wait! I'll be planting this weekend. With germination time maybe nothing will get hurt. I'm still planting!
mydaisy
San Augustine, TX
(Zone 8b)

March 2, 2005
9:21 PM

Post #1316855

Will we be throwing fits in August because of the heat?? Heeheehee...too bad we can't have 70 degree sunshine all the time!
trunnels
Plano, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 2, 2005
9:23 PM

Post #1316858

Not me, Mydaisy. I would rather sweat in my garden any day than have this cold weather!!

WillowWasp

WillowWasp
Jones Creek, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 2, 2005
10:41 PM

Post #1316968

Not me I would love to have 78 degrees and sunshine, with just enough rain so I don't have to water. Now that would be the life. You could sweat or go sit under and tree and be cool and the plants would love it.

8o)

Dee
mkjones
Aurora, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 2, 2005
10:46 PM

Post #1316971

Boy, we're a spoiled bunch, huh? ;-)

MKJ

(p.s. and I agree, WillowWasp!)
imway2dumb
Gordonville, TX
(Zone 7b)

March 2, 2005
11:23 PM

Post #1317017

High of 78F, low of 65F and 1" rain/week, wind at 10 mph would be my ideal.
maggiemoo
Conroe, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 2, 2005
11:46 PM

Post #1317054

Hey, it doesn't cost anything to dream!

(Brrrrr! At least it's supposed to be better tomorrow, and this weekend may be really great!)
loudigger
San Antonio, TX
(Zone 8b)

March 3, 2005
12:48 AM

Post #1317136

I just use this wet and cold weather to stay inside and start seeds. I have bunches of trays with seedlings that need potting up. That is what I did today to get them ready for the real spring. They will be big enough to go into the ground by then. There will be extras for the plant trade at the CTXRound up the end of April, so y'all come! SEEYA, Margie aka Queen of Dirtland

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Texas Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
who grows peonies in houston area? vossner 20 Jun 18, 2012 7:58 PM
Texas Invasives List PvillePlanter 18 Mar 14, 2014 5:34 PM
Anyone Up For A Chat? dstartz 29 Jun 30, 2007 5:44 PM
DGrs in SW houston vossner 5 Dec 29, 2013 2:55 PM
Mock Orange in a big pot? mkjones 21 Aug 15, 2011 1:29 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America