Cicero, NY(Zone 5a)

O.K. I am totaly unorganized and have no clue what I've planted where. I don't know what this is.It's almost 6 feet tall right now,the blooms opened pink and faded to white.My husband says its a weed ,but I like it, so it's staying,but I am sure he would feel better about it staying if I could say ,"its a such and such ,very rare!"I know its not ,but he doesent. crestedchik

Thumbnail by crestedchik
Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

Lol crestedchik! I think that is valerian. There were a couple of pictures on the photo forum and some talk about it. Are the flowers fragrant? Valerian has a very sweet fragrance. I can't say it's rare ... and it does grow wild along the roadsides. But it's still is a nice plant. It's a spreader in the garden so you might find that it crowds out other plants. I grow it behind my house in a ditch where it can have all the space it wants.

Cicero, NY(Zone 5a)

That would be cool,I know I planted one but I don't think it was there,but ,mmmmm,could be I did.The flowers don't smell really strong, but there is a nice fragrance.Do they get that big? Its as tall as my Meadowsweet.Thats a herb,isent it? Suppose to make you less stressed-put you to sleep.That will work,if he complains about it I'll just dig up some root and feed it to him.Thanks,crestedchik

Durham, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

yeah, you're right valerian is a mild sedative, i got some herbal tea to help me sleep recently and it contained valerian and hops, tastes absolutely vile but works a treat.

My mother made wine out of meadowsweet, it was beautiful, it grows wild here. :)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images