Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Plant Identification: SOLVED: Whaaaaat is this???

Communities > Forums > Plant Identification
bookmark
Forum: Plant IdentificationReplies: 3, Views: 184
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

crestedchik

crestedchik
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

June 21, 2001
11:29 AM

Post #6909

O.K. I am totaly unorganized and have no clue what I've planted where. I don't know what this is.It's almost 6 feet tall right now,the blooms opened pink and faded to white.My husband says its a weed ,but I like it, so it's staying,but I am sure he would feel better about it staying if I could say ,"its a such and such ,very rare!"I know its not ,but he doesent. crestedchik

Thumbnail by crestedchik
Click the image for an enlarged view.

poppysue
Westbrook, ME
(Zone 5a)

June 21, 2001
11:41 AM

Post #85391

Lol crestedchik! I think that is valerian. There were a couple of pictures on the photo forum and some talk about it. Are the flowers fragrant? Valerian has a very sweet fragrance. I can't say it's rare ... and it does grow wild along the roadsides. But it's still is a nice plant. It's a spreader in the garden so you might find that it crowds out other plants. I grow it behind my house in a ditch where it can have all the space it wants.

crestedchik

crestedchik
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

June 21, 2001
1:46 PM

Post #85420

That would be cool,I know I planted one but I don't think it was there,but ,mmmmm,could be I did.The flowers don't smell really strong, but there is a nice fragrance.Do they get that big? Its as tall as my Meadowsweet.Thats a herb,isent it? Suppose to make you less stressed-put you to sleep.That will work,if he complains about it I'll just dig up some root and feed it to him.Thanks,crestedchik
Lilith
Durham
United Kingdom
(Zone 8a)

June 24, 2001
7:37 AM

Post #86411

yeah, you're right valerian is a mild sedative, i got some herbal tea to help me sleep recently and it contained valerian and hops, tastes absolutely vile but works a treat.

My mother made wine out of meadowsweet, it was beautiful, it grows wild here. :)

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Plant Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Help with identification of this shrub dave 86 Nov 11, 2013 6:20 PM
SOLVED: Can Anyone Help Gayl 9 Jun 23, 2014 4:57 AM
SOLVED: help identify herb seeds????? dignbloom 6 Nov 4, 2010 8:08 PM
SOLVED: Mystery perennial dave 21 Oct 14, 2014 11:43 AM
SOLVED: Name my aloe??? tom1953 21 Jul 15, 2012 1:32 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America