Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Handyman: Dremel type power tool question

Communities > Forums > Handyman
bookmark
Forum: HandymanReplies: 25, Views: 244
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
justmeLisa
Brewers, KY
(Zone 6b)

February 7, 2005
2:27 PM

Post #1277225

I am looking to buy a Dremel type hand tool. Are the Black and Decker ones just as good as the Dremel? How about the Sears brand? Any thoughts before I buy one? Thanks!
skatayama
Keyport, NJ
(Zone 7a)

February 7, 2005
2:43 PM

Post #1277268

I have the Black and Decker one. It was useful but I think I am probably going to go ahead and get the Dremel. I hated the battery system that Black and Decker has. It might be useful for the handyman who uses the the tools frequently but for the home user it is a lot to keep up with and store. I also didn't think the B&D had enough power even when the battery was supposedly fully charged.

Sheila
justmeLisa
Brewers, KY
(Zone 6b)

February 7, 2005
2:47 PM

Post #1277307

thank you for your info.

I will need to have the one that uses batteries, since my projects involve using the drill with water. I'd rather get shocked by battery than electric..lol.

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

February 7, 2005
2:49 PM

Post #1277316

We have the B&D one. It came in really handy in our last house; haven't seen it since the move (although I need it to shear off some slightly protruding screws in the subfloor of our bedroom before we put down new flooring.) I don't have a basis for comparison to any of the others, but ours worked fine for small jobs around the house.

kooger

kooger
Oostburg, WI
(Zone 5b)

February 7, 2005
4:33 PM

Post #1277510

We gave our 3 sons a Dremel set each when they turned 14. They're all well used. Never had any other kind so can't compare them. I think middle son's is the nicest because it came with a carry case that can also be screwed to a wall.
Terre_
Golden, CO
(Zone 5b)

February 7, 2005
5:09 PM

Post #1277561

I gave DH one of these (Dremel) several years ago, and then my sister bought herself one that was B&D. Have found since that there are a lot more cool accessories made for the Dremel than for the B&D.
makshi
Noblesville, IN
(Zone 5a)

February 7, 2005
5:23 PM

Post #1277585

I found my Dremel didn't do as well as I thought it should. It didn't have much power and seemed to want to wind down to quickly.
smiln32
Oklahoma City, OK
(Zone 7a)

February 7, 2005
5:34 PM

Post #1277602

I have the Dremel and a lot of the accessories. Use it for a number of things. Comes in handy. Can't say anything about the other brands. Consumer Reports would have something to say about them, though. I love that magazine.
Dravencat
Edgewater, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 8, 2005
12:25 PM

Post #1278756

I have the Craftsman brand and love it. I dont use it that often yet, I use it mainly for working around the house and havnt needed it since I had to replace the old faucet in the bathroom. Boy did that thing come in handy!! Mine is the type that plugs in tho, I would think if your going to get a battery operated one with the rechargable batteries you should get one that has the biggest battery, I know that made a big difference with my electric drill.
se_eds
Millersburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

February 11, 2005
12:21 AM

Post #1283305

I have the Craftsman style of Dremel tool. Just as good, only cheaper. We use it all the time for small repairs, cleaning sanding, engraving and woodcarving.
morrowsmowers
Glassboro, NJ
(Zone 7a)

March 27, 2005
3:26 AM

Post #1365327

The Dremel is professional grade. The Craftsman is not made nearly as well but for occasional use it would do OK. B & D is the cheapest made and will give the poorest service. We have a Dremel with a lot of accessories and have used it a lot. It works quite well.

Ken & Sue in Glassboro, NJ
dclark
Tulsa, OK
(Zone 6a)

April 4, 2005
5:54 AM

Post #1382239

Could you please tell me some of the things you do with your Dremel or dremel-like tool? I have a new Dremel but, believe it or not, need ideas on ways to use it. I love it! Very powerful!
Thank you.
DClark
BassetMom
Torrance, CA
(Zone 10a)

April 5, 2005
12:55 AM

Post #1384286

We have both battery and electric Dremel. They both have their uses, though I prefer the corded one for more power... argh,argh,argh...

I use it primarily for my dried gourds... drilling hanging holes, drilling opening for birds, carving, sanding, etc. We also make dollhouses, miniature furniture accessories and use it for those projects all the time.

I think its a tool that you find uses for as you add bits and accessories...
morrowsmowers
Glassboro, NJ
(Zone 7a)

April 5, 2005
3:04 AM

Post #1384564

We have the sharpener attachment that we use for lawn mower blades and other yard tools. We also use it for drilling small delicate holes in projects, for small/detailed grinding and buffing jobs. Anything that involves small detail and precision is what the Dremel is good at.

Frankay
Northport, ME
(Zone 5b)

April 7, 2005
1:22 AM

Post #1388226

DW wanted to make a mobile of sea shells. My job was to drill a hole at the "X" on each shell. Dremel was up to the task. Frank
Chilko
Precipice Valley, BC
(Zone 2a)

April 7, 2005
4:43 AM

Post #1388646

You can use the barrel-like sanding attachment for trimming your dog's toenails. Seriously!

I mostly use mine for cutting brass and zinc came. Wish I could figure out what a lot of the attachments are for--I have the book, but it still isn't clear.

Craftsman brand has always done well by us. Good tools, good guarantees.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

April 22, 2005
12:21 AM

Post #1418433

When I wanted one, I bit the bullet and bought a Foredom flexible-shaft machine that hangs on a stand and has a foot-control for speed. Fantasticmachine but a lot of money. For serious hobbyists, jewelers, etc.
drdon
Temecula, CA
(Zone 8b)

April 22, 2005
1:10 PM

Post #1419437

We have bothe Dremel and Foredom tools. Tried the BD...once, took it back and got the Dremel. We use them for lots of tasks and they are only limited by the imagination of the user. For cutting, grinding, sanding, I really like the Dremel. The Foredom is a wonderful carving tool. I received the cordless Dremel as a gift last year. It's a super tool, but the battery has a rather short charge duration.

As far as accessories go, the Dremel just blows all competition away, but most of the accessories are usable by other 1/8th inch chuck machines.
sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 22, 2005
2:32 PM

Post #1419804

Can get Roto Tool blades, fit dremel, much less expensive.
Chilko
Precipice Valley, BC
(Zone 2a)

April 22, 2005
4:48 PM

Post #1420057

drdon, can you tell me more about the Foredom for carving? What, wood?
morrowsmowers
Glassboro, NJ
(Zone 7a)

April 24, 2005
9:56 PM

Post #1424721

We found a new use for our Dremel this weekend -- we used it to clean a seriously dirty frying pan and then to buff and polish it to a great finish.

BassetMom
Torrance, CA
(Zone 10a)

April 26, 2005
11:17 PM

Post #1429242

Works great for cleaning old garden tools, too!

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

April 27, 2005
8:19 PM

Post #1431612

Chilco, here's some Foredom Flexible Shaft information:
http://www.mhc-online.com/foredom/overview.htm
http://www.qualitycarvingsupplies.com/store/page26.html
http://www.newmantools.com/foredom/machines.htm
http://www.pearsons-uslj.com/flex_shaft_1.htm
balvenie
Marysville, WA
(Zone 7a)

April 27, 2005
10:35 PM

Post #1432018

Foredom seems to be the prefered power grinder for some of the carvers in
our local woodcarving club.
Dogzilla
Tallahassee, FL
(Zone 8b)

April 28, 2005
6:55 PM

Post #1434082

I have the Dremel and love it. I cannot stand Black and Decker products, although I tend to buy them because they are the lightest weight and I can handle them better than some other brands (referring to power tools only).

Incidentally, if you carve jack o' lanterns, your rotary tool (Dremel or whatever brand) is most excellent for that! I won't even consider using knives on punkins any more! The little attachments clean up easily as well. Just put down a big plastic drop cloth because bitty shards of punkin go EVERYwhere.

Just a tip. (I'd actually like to see a thread about the myriad creative uses people find for our rotary tools.)
Chilko
Precipice Valley, BC
(Zone 2a)

April 28, 2005
11:30 PM

Post #1434573

Thanks for the excellent links, Darius. Dogzilla, I'd like to see a thread like that too! But my biggest problem is identifying the various attachments. I've a fairly comprehensive book on using the Dremel but I can't find any numbers that relate to the attachments, and a lot of the pictures look very similar.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Handyman Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Easy "Water Pic" Hole Digger roadrunner 20 Apr 11, 2008 3:43 AM
My rain water harvesting pics Dinu 24 Mar 31, 2009 4:28 PM
a peculiar bookcase (Horseshoe, have a look!!) dpmichael 56 Mar 17, 2007 6:57 PM
concrete stain crestedchik 7 May 30, 2007 4:27 AM
hard to move sliding glass door Janiejoy 10 Jul 9, 2009 3:37 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America