Photo by Melody

Water Gardens: How many ponders are out there ?? List your names - Update!

Communities > Forums > Water Gardens
bookmark
Forum: Water GardensReplies: 364, Views: 4,274
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
judycooksey
Pocahontas, TN
(Zone 7b)

February 7, 2005
10:43 PM

Post #1278031

The older thread had too many posts, taking too long to pull up and needed to be updated anyway. So let's start off fresh!!!

We're small fry compared to most of you since we only have a 6x6 Goldfish pond made of landscaping timbers and construction grade black plastic for a liner. We've had it for 7 years and had to replace the liner once, when the English Bulldogs decided to take a swim, their toenails made a couple small holes.

In addition, we have 2 approximately 3x5 black oval containers used for feeding cattle which we start off each spring with a new batch of fish and plants. We got these at the feed store for about $30 and they make great little ponds to sit on the porch.

Let us know who you are and post pictures PLEASE!!!.

Thanks,

Judy
crimsontsavo
Crossville, TN
(Zone 7a)

February 8, 2005
3:10 AM

Post #1278427

Yay- this thread loads! lol.

Our "feature pond" is in the front yard- we used an old swimming pool as the liner- don't know how many gallons it holds- it drops down to about knee deep in the center. Right now this is the only pond that looks close to "nice". All the others are a work in progress or are just to hold water/fish/plants.
Here's a picture before the water cleared-

I'll try and get a better picture later.

Thumbnail by crimsontsavo
Click the image for an enlarged view.

crimsontsavo
Crossville, TN
(Zone 7a)

February 8, 2005
3:16 AM

Post #1278435

50 gallon Pond- Yes, the edges and border look terrible I know, lol.
Should have more green around it this year.

crimsontsavo
Crossville, TN
(Zone 7a)

February 8, 2005
3:21 AM

Post #1278445

50 Deep- Don't mind my mess- mum's already gotten me for it once, hehe.

crimsontsavo
Crossville, TN
(Zone 7a)

February 8, 2005
3:32 AM

Post #1278460

My grandmothers pond- see how much nicer it is than ours, LOL! (hers is younger too!)

cceamore
Hixson, TN
(Zone 7a)

February 8, 2005
5:45 PM

Post #1279197

I have two pre formed ponds one kidney shaped with a plant ledge and one smaller one.
Compare to my friends ponds in my neighborhood they look like puddles and theirs look like swimming pools.LOL Sothat is what I usually refer to mine as my puddles full of fish ,frogs and plants. Celeste
crimsontsavo
Crossville, TN
(Zone 7a)

February 9, 2005
2:26 PM

Post #1280425

Even a puddle can be an oasis!
Indigoez
Floresville, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 10, 2005
12:29 AM

Post #1281446

Well, I don't have any good pics of my entire ponds, but here's a few of last year's blooms.

This is waterlily 'Blue Beauty'...

Thumbnail by Indigoez

Indigoez
Floresville, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 10, 2005
12:34 AM

Post #1281453

Here's a dwarf that I have growing in a large tub; I don't know the name of this one.

This message was edited Feb 9, 2005 7:35 PM

Thumbnail by Indigoez

dillpickle
Winnipeg,, MB
(Zone 3a)

February 10, 2005
1:07 AM

Post #1281502

Won't be starting up our ponds till the end of April, begining of May as it is under 4 feet of snow.
I have 2 large ponds with goldfish and waterlilies and other water plants, but fish are in a tank the basement, waterlilies in the spare fridge..
Loved all the pond pictures..
crimsontsavo
Crossville, TN
(Zone 7a)

February 10, 2005
5:31 PM

Post #1282667

Indi- those are beautiful!!

We will be waiting for your spring pictures Pickle!
daylily970
Coshocton, OH
(Zone 6a)

February 10, 2005
8:56 PM

Post #1282979

here's my pond.

Thumbnail by daylily970

daylily970
Coshocton, OH
(Zone 6a)

February 10, 2005
8:57 PM

Post #1282982

here's another view of it.

Thumbnail by daylily970

celia
Cleveland, OH
(Zone 5b)

February 10, 2005
10:58 PM

Post #1283148

We have a pre-formed pond. Just put it in last summer. It has a small waterfall. But we love it. It is true, you always want to go bigger!

Thumbnail by celia

crimsontsavo
Crossville, TN
(Zone 7a)

February 10, 2005
11:51 PM

Post #1283237

Absolutely stunning daylily!

Celia, that pond almost looks like it was put there by God, lol. It looks really deep too. :-O
A waterfall is our next big pond thing. Shopping around now for the best prices. Ya'll give me hope! LOL
celia
Cleveland, OH
(Zone 5b)

February 11, 2005
1:40 AM

Post #1283414

crimsontsavo...Noooo, it's not deep only about 24" with shelves. Actually it was put in by a recovering alcoholic...he needed the work. He did a great job! thanx for the compliment! We still have the pump going even though it's freezing temps! Just have to keep breaking the ice! We took our fish out and the (designer) is holding them over the winter. (in fish tanks in his home) We'll get them back in Spring. Our pond is one of the best things we've ever done! I recommend it to everyone, whether it's small or large! The sound of water is very comforting and smoothing, kinda like a Zen thing.
crimsontsavo
Crossville, TN
(Zone 7a)

February 11, 2005
1:25 PM

Post #1283954

Wow Celia-

Well, it gives the illusion of a deep pond- so that's good!
dillpickle
Winnipeg,, MB
(Zone 3a)

February 12, 2005
3:19 AM

Post #1285073

Pond from last summer

Thumbnail by dillpickle

dillpickle
Winnipeg,, MB
(Zone 3a)

February 12, 2005
3:20 AM

Post #1285075

Here is another view.

Thumbnail by dillpickle

shadowgirl
Moscow, TN
(Zone 7a)

February 12, 2005
3:31 AM

Post #1285086

Everyone's ponds are so pretty.Even a little pond can be beautiful. Here is a picture of my bathtub pond. It is'nt good for fish because it gets so hot since it is made of iron.

Thumbnail by shadowgirl

shadowgirl
Moscow, TN
(Zone 7a)

February 12, 2005
3:40 AM

Post #1285098

We put this pond in last September. It is about 12,000 gallons. On the upper left is a "bog" area that, hopefully, act as a biological filter. This pictire was taken in October 2004. This winter we added lots of rocks and built a bi-level pondside deck and a fireplace that is right up against the pond.

This message was edited Feb 15, 2005 10:16 AM

Thumbnail by shadowgirl

judycooksey
Pocahontas, TN
(Zone 7b)

February 17, 2005
10:44 AM

Post #1293102

Beautiful ponds!!!! Maybe more people will post pictures if I bump this up to the top. I love the old cast iron tub idea. I have a small one I may plant this spring. Most of the critters couldn't get into it!!!

Judy
crimsontsavo
Crossville, TN
(Zone 7a)

February 17, 2005
8:00 PM

Post #1294222

I'll post more pictures when the ponds green up- they look kind of sad right now, hehe.

ShadowGirl- is there any way you can fix the pixels in that tub pond picture? It looks stunning like it is but would really be good to see it clearly.

I'm amazed everytime I see peoples ponds- they look so good and give me lots of ideas!

shadowgirl
Moscow, TN
(Zone 7a)

February 17, 2005
8:18 PM

Post #1294245

CS-This one is clearer.

Thumbnail by shadowgirl

crimsontsavo
Crossville, TN
(Zone 7a)

February 18, 2005
6:01 PM

Post #1295939

WOW! That's just beautiful. Thank you.

shadowgirl
Moscow, TN
(Zone 7a)

February 19, 2005
3:36 AM

Post #1296706

CS, thanks! It is a pretty cool looking water feature. The only problem I have had using metal type containers is mosquitoes. I have to be twice as alert to make sure it does not turn into a skeeter incubator. lol

crimsontsavo
Crossville, TN
(Zone 7a)

February 19, 2005
5:01 PM

Post #1297432

Is it fish safe? You could drop several Mosquito Fish in there. Or maybe a couple commet goldfish.
judycooksey
Pocahontas, TN
(Zone 7b)

February 19, 2005
6:48 PM

Post #1297603

shadowgirl your picture is such an inspiration. You are so talented. You absolutely have to be a professional designer!!!!

crimsontsavo
Crossville, TN
(Zone 7a)

February 20, 2005
1:14 AM

Post #1298077

Judy is right!
I keep coming back to look at that picture, LOL. Hoping my pond will look that good this year.
Vizz8
Tacoma, WA
(Zone 8a)

February 21, 2005
7:31 PM

Post #1300926

I got one, itty bitty one, but I luvs it...
crimsontsavo
Crossville, TN
(Zone 7a)

February 21, 2005
10:05 PM

Post #1301156

Post pictures! LOL Even itty bitty ponds are loads of fun. I made one outta trash bags last year. It's really small too, hehe.
Charlotteda
Pickens, SC
(Zone 7a)

February 21, 2005
10:41 PM

Post #1301223

There is no such thing as a pond too small to be beautiful. Even though we always want one bigger, right ?
crimsontsavo
Crossville, TN
(Zone 7a)

February 22, 2005
5:19 PM

Post #1302460

Yup, bigger is always better with ponds, LOL.
shadowgirl
Moscow, TN
(Zone 7a)

February 22, 2005
7:35 PM

Post #1302849

The little ponds can be so charming and look wonderful in a secret garden. But...when you go to build a pond, figure out how big you want it, then triple it. lol

Thank you all for the compliments. I had a garden design business but have pretty much abandoned it to start on a new career path. Now I just design for myself, family, and friends.
ButterflyChaser
Northeast, AR
(Zone 7a)

February 22, 2005
7:56 PM

Post #1302878

I have two preformed ponds, and 3 whiskey barrel ponds, as well as one small pond I made witha waterbed liner. AND I'm getting ready to dig a pond about 8 x 10 with a waterfall and maybe a stream too. I love ponding! It's so easy!

NancyAnn
madelyn65
San Manuel, AZ
(Zone 9b)

February 24, 2005
8:04 PM

Post #1306586

This is our small Koi Pond, we are in the process of "re-decorating" it...
Enjoy it so much, but need plants. Any suggestions where I can order some.
We live in Southern AZ and kept our Koi and Goldfish in it all winter, with the help of a heater.

Thumbnail by madelyn65

crimsontsavo
Crossville, TN
(Zone 7a)

February 24, 2005
10:19 PM

Post #1306849

Madelyn, check the aquatic plant thread in the plant trade forum.

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/482066/

Your pond looks like it is off to a pretty start!
TXMel
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 7b)

February 26, 2005
1:43 AM

Post #1308970

Here is our pond. We designed and built it ourselves one Easter weekend 4 years ago. We absolutely love it. We knew we wanted a pond, but had no idea how much enjoyment we would get out of it! It changes every year, and we knew ahead of time to make it large... so, no we would not make ours bigger. We even added the second waterfall just before start time!

mel

Thumbnail by TXMel

TXMel
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 7b)

February 26, 2005
1:45 AM

Post #1308971

Well, maybe a closer pix would be nice, huh? Sorry.

Thumbnail by TXMel

judycooksey
Pocahontas, TN
(Zone 7b)

February 26, 2005
2:05 AM

Post #1308999

Oh how wonderful!!!

Judy
arabella
Richmond, KY
(Zone 9a)

February 26, 2005
12:18 PM

Post #1309339

This pond is my third and my favorite; I have adored each one of them. This one isn't quite a year old yet and I have not planted the rock garden yet, but am looking forward to that and getting lilies and other lovely plants for the water.

Thumbnail by arabella

TXMel
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 7b)

February 26, 2005
1:04 PM

Post #1309399

Oh, I love your pond! Is this the third on this property, or at other locations? We would love to have elevation changes! Our lot is totally flat, so we had to build ours up to make our waterfall and stream, yet try to make it look natural. We think we did that, although we now see the benefit to elevation changes. Before the pond we had never looked seriously at any home without a perfectly level lot!

The split waterfalls are one of our favorites! I don't think I have seen a pond with the narrow horizontal pond at the bottom. I love it! What kind of filter, liner and fish do you maintain?

Thank you for sharing!

mel
arabella
Richmond, KY
(Zone 9a)

March 3, 2005
12:36 AM

Post #1317120

Thank you, Mel. This is my third pond at the third place I have lived in since 1995. Had to go with hilly since that is what I had to work with, and of course, I love it. My liner is just regular very thick pond liner and I am not sure what the brand of pump and filter would be, since someone else did this one for me. I have about 53 koi that I moved from my last pond and they are doing wonderfully. Soon it will be spring and I can again begine to feed them. I feed them dog food, believe it or not, and since they are between 1 and 12 years old, I guess it does them no harm. I can give you a bit more information about the filter, description wise. At the top, there is a small pool with a large black plastic container. That contains something that looks like lava rock. Then at the very bottom of the pond, there is an underwater system with a black plastic filter that pulls out, and a buff-puff like filter that has to be hosed out. That one is about the size of a furnace filter.
judycooksey
Pocahontas, TN
(Zone 7b)

March 3, 2005
12:44 AM

Post #1317133

arbelle, what kind of dog food? Just wondering sometime it's very hard for me to get pellets for my goldfish but we always have dry dog food.
TXMel
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 7b)

March 3, 2005
3:04 AM

Post #1317374

Funny, that's what my dad feeds his catfish in his pond back home. We have done that for years! They line up to eat it!

Your pond and filter system sounds like our Aquascape system. Easy maintenance.

thanks,
mel
rylaff
Niceville, FL
(Zone 8b)

March 3, 2005
1:16 PM

Post #1317726

Here is my pond. The pic was just taken the other day, so it is not really pretty. It looks much better in spring and summer and also needs cleaning up. However, you get the main idea. I have two water features. The first is the waterfall.

Thumbnail by rylaff

rylaff
Niceville, FL
(Zone 8b)

March 3, 2005
1:17 PM

Post #1317728

The second water feature is the jug.

Thumbnail by rylaff

tazzy
Sand Springs, OK
(Zone 7a)

March 3, 2005
6:54 PM

Post #1318315

5 fiber glass pond two Small one ready to put in this spring
crimsontsavo
Crossville, TN
(Zone 7a)

March 6, 2005
3:19 AM

Post #1322402

Awesome Rylaff! Just beautiful and so natural looking.
judycooksey
Pocahontas, TN
(Zone 7b)

March 6, 2005
3:39 AM

Post #1322424

Beautiful!!!

Judy
Pixydish
Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

March 6, 2005
5:33 AM

Post #1322517

Okay, I'm new and just starting to dig the pond. After a few wheelbarrows full of glacial till they call soil around here, I'm enlisting some strong adolescent males to do the grunt work. I'm willing to pay to save my back. The plan is for the pond to be about 1500 gallons with the deepest part 3-4 feet. It will be a part of the garden. We'll be including a sloping rock 'beach' on part of the front edge since I have two dogs and they're going to approach the pond to drink whether I want them to or not. Might as well make it easy for them. Also, believe me, I already have plenty of rocks for this part. I'm currently experimenting with making my own landscaping rocks out of pieces of broken old cement patio and hypertufa to use around the edge of the liner. So far they look great so I'm encouraged to try some more. I'm addicted to projects so this may take awhile. Here's a photo of the general area I started to clear for the pond last year. I can tell you that as of now all the plants in the foreground and many to the left have found homes in other areas of the garden and the pond outline is about 3 times bigger. Ha! Let the addiction begin!

Thumbnail by Pixydish

TXMel
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 7b)

March 6, 2005
2:18 PM

Post #1322863

Oh how exciting! We started ours Easter weekend 4 yrs ago! The best thing we did was rent a small backhoe for $150 and dug it in just 3 hours! The dirt that came out was used to build up a large waterfall and stream area behind it. We have pix of the whole process if you would like to see them!

We did not put "ledge" rocks at the edge when we finished the pond, but added some nice sturdy ones later, as people are drawn to stand at the edge, and were pushing the edges too much. We love the look now, but it was an afterthought. We used LARGE thick, flat rocks so that kids and adults can stand on to admire, but keep the liner and edges safe.

We were going to do the beach also, but the same issue arose, with pushing the rocks downward, and exposing the liner. The only way that we saw that effectively done, was they poured a thin beach of cement, and "set" the beach pebbles in. They don't look quite as natural, but they don't move, can be scrubbed of debri... which will appear, and the dogs have a sturdy footing!

ooopppps. more than you asked for, I got on a rant, but we did alot of research on the subject, and toured over 80 ponds to design our own.
judycooksey
Pocahontas, TN
(Zone 7b)

March 6, 2005
2:21 PM

Post #1322869

TexMel - I for one would appreciate you starting a thread, posting pictures and telling us all about building your pond. I know it would be very informative and especially useful to those of us who want to build a bigger pond.

Thanks very much for the ideas you've already shared.

Judy
TXMel
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 7b)

March 7, 2005
4:21 AM

Post #1324324

OK! I worked on it, and now it is complete! See the new thread ... from the Beginning--- is ready.

Thanks for encouraging me.

mel
Pixydish
Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

March 7, 2005
5:00 PM

Post #1324916

TexMex,
Thanks for the post about your pond building experience. I'm thinking for the beach I will cement some of the larger stones we've dug up onto the liner in a random but close together pattern. These will hold the smaller stones in place and I'm hoping that I can make it look 'natural'. I'd considered renting a backhoe to do the digging job, but they go for much more than 150$ around here and to get to the pond area I'd have to go through some other areas that I don't want to mess up. The boys have confirmed for March 18, so that's the day! Look forward to seeing your pictures of the process!
TXMel
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 7b)

March 7, 2005
10:48 PM

Post #1325603

In my "other files" somewhere, there are pix from some pond tours that we have taken. I think that there are pictures of the beaches that different people have created. If I run across them, I will send them to you. Good luck with your plans!

Mel
judycooksey
Pocahontas, TN
(Zone 7b)

March 7, 2005
11:12 PM

Post #1325629

TXMel

If you find them why don't you start another thread entitled something like
Our Pond Tours - Other People's Beaches

They will give people ideas. Or am I trying to keep you too busy??

Judy
TXMel
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 7b)

March 8, 2005
3:13 AM

Post #1326063

Funny. Ok. I will do that! My hubby says they are on a disk around here somewhere! I know there are nearly a hundred pictures! We had such a good time on the pond tour looking at everyone elses oasis. There were very small, simple ones to elaborate ones valued more than some homes!

mel
Pixydish
Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

March 8, 2005

Post #1326096

I'd love to see the pics of other people's beaches!
roblimo
Bradenton, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 10, 2005
2:25 AM

Post #1329754

We bought a pond-equipped house last October. Said pond was in horrible condition, but after mucking out hundreds of pounds of... muck... and a home-made mechanical filter plus volcanic rock about 1' deep on the bottom as a bacterial filter medium and some other work, I've got the water clear and the fish happy.

I have several bunches of hornwort spreading nicely, plus dangling ivy as an additional oxygenator, and will be adding more floating and rooted plants as the weather warms up.

You can see several of our 4 goldfish (length 10" or so) in this pic, but the one chinese catfish is -- as usual -- hiding. It's about 14" long and quite a sight when swimming.

Pond size is 7' diameter. Depth tapers down to 3' in the center, not counting the volcanic rock. Everything is shrouded by two Oaks, 100+ years old, that drop debris into the pond, but the fish eat most of it and the rest is plant fertilizer, so that's more of a plus than a minus, not to mention the nice shade those Oaks give in hot Florida.

Thumbnail by roblimo

crimsontsavo
Crossville, TN
(Zone 7a)

March 10, 2005
11:47 PM

Post #1330997

Rob- I really like the idea of your pond. Gives the impression of a never ending drop off. Looks like a spring.
jenny_tulip
Ridgeville, IN
(Zone 5a)

March 12, 2005
1:40 AM

Post #1332969

I put in a pond a few years back. This will be my 4th season with it. Gosh it doesn't seem like it's been that long. I started out with a 200 gal preform. I wanted a 500 gal liner pond but my husband wouldn't help. We farm, and he was always too busy. But then on THE VERY DAY I finished my 200 gal preform, he borrows my uncle's backhoe for a farm project. I begged and begged for him to dig me a pond while he had the backhoe here. He got pretty upset with me, and finally gave in. I guess he thought he would "show me" by digging a very LARGE hole. LOL My pond ended up being 2000 gallons. :) I have since converted my preform into a rock garden with a "bubblin rock" Here is a pic of my pond from last season. I've got one more view to send, in this one you can't see my waterfall. Jenny

Thumbnail by jenny_tulip

jenny_tulip
Ridgeville, IN
(Zone 5a)

March 12, 2005
1:44 AM

Post #1332977

Here is the other view. Jenny

Thumbnail by jenny_tulip

jerryhildebrand
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 12, 2005
1:53 PM

Post #1333809

put a small one in last year it's the one hiding behind the flowers. planing on another this year but my wife brought in a big dog to the family so i'll have to rethink the design Jerry

Thumbnail by jerryhildebrand

TXMel
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 7b)

March 12, 2005
2:13 PM

Post #1333838

Jenny and Jerry, Both are very nice. They both look like little Oasis' in their space. I can never get enough of looking at ponds. No 2 are alike!
judycooksey
Pocahontas, TN
(Zone 7b)

March 12, 2005
3:18 PM

Post #1334003

jerry you have to read http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/459321/
BigDaddy is my DH. We've "gone to the dogs" but still manage to have a small pond which we totally enjoy. Of course from time to time they do go swimming, but this litle pond with the raised sides does discourage it.

Judy

This message was edited Mar 12, 2005 12:58 PM
jerryhildebrand
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 12, 2005
5:12 PM

Post #1334179

yes i have, there are plenty of good ideas for different types of ponds and fountains. I'm looking forward for the ground to thaw so I can get out and enjoy some creativity Jerry
jtspeaks
San Diego, CA

March 13, 2005
7:17 AM

Post #1335432

Hello all!

It's been sometime since I had the chance to stop by.
I'm in San Diego, CA.

Trying to learn how to deal with real weather... : )

I'll post some pics of the pond tomorrow...

Strever
Hiouchi, CA
(Zone 8b)

March 14, 2005
5:57 AM

Post #1337265

mine is the natural look
Dick

Thumbnail by Strever

Pixydish
Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

March 14, 2005
6:08 AM

Post #1337269

Rob, Jenny, Jerry, and Dick - all fabulous ponders! I agree with Texmel - each one an oasis. Dick, did you put this pond in? It does look totally natural.
Strever
Hiouchi, CA
(Zone 8b)

March 14, 2005
6:47 AM

Post #1337292

Pixy
it is a concrete pond 6' deep in the center & it is supposed to look natural :-)
no i did not put it in, it was put in by the previous owners
i only inherited it
during the rainy season it is filled by a seasonal creek & overflows into the river
during the summer i have to supplement with the pump
Dick
TXMel
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 7b)

March 14, 2005
12:22 PM

Post #1337429

That is gorgeouse. You won't find many in Texas that look that lush! Ohhhhhhh to have ferns! AHhhhhh
AligaterAngel
Fountain, FL

March 14, 2005
12:54 PM

Post #1337502

Saturday I put in my very first pond. Or should I say I drug Crimsontsavo over here to help me put it in. Because I have no clue what I am doing. Next we are gonna get some plants planted around it. It's actually kinda funny I haven't even finished this one and I am already planning two more. LOL... I will try to get some pictures taken to scan in so you can see. The pond is in the shade about half of the day and gets the morning sun the other half of it. Anybody got any suggestions on types of plants????????

Happy Gardening,
AligaterAngel
jerryhildebrand
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 14, 2005
9:20 PM

Post #1338435

strever you have one great looking pond and the surrounding areas are very lush great job
jerryhildebrand
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 14, 2005
9:48 PM

Post #1338486

here's a small flower from last year. I was a little disappointed because the blooms only lasted a few day's

cceamore
Hixson, TN
(Zone 7a)

March 17, 2005
12:14 AM

Post #1342719

I cleaned all the winter muck out of my ponds saturday and they look muddy because they were all stirred up when I took the pics. This is the larger one

Thumbnail by cceamore

cceamore
Hixson, TN
(Zone 7a)

March 17, 2005
12:23 AM

Post #1342737

Here is the other one

Thumbnail by cceamore

TARogers5
Kingston, OK
(Zone 7a)

March 17, 2005
1:47 AM

Post #1342886

CC you got some green showing up. Same here is the freeze tonight dont topple them again
crimsontsavo
Crossville, TN
(Zone 7a)

March 17, 2005
3:04 AM

Post #1343065

CC- that looks very natural- like a small pond under the foot of a cave!
cceamore
Hixson, TN
(Zone 7a)

March 17, 2005
9:58 PM

Post #1344806

Thanks that is what I was going for I like stuff to look natural I just wish you could never see the liner but I used preforms and The only time that happens is in the summer when all my plants are bursting over the edges.
TraciS
Temple, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 18, 2005
8:05 PM

Post #1346668

Just checking in! We started our 1st pond 4 1/2 years ago, and I have a pic of the old pond. But, we moved the pond w/us and we built a new waterfall and after learning so much from the 1st one we've been able to add more plant shelves and all of the things that we really didn't realize were so important and convenient.
I love all of my fish and we have been lucky so far. They seem to breed every year and I find lots of new fish, and I get so excited, b'cause it is like I went on a shopping spree at the pet store everytime I see the new one's. I have one fish that I am very proud of. It is an Import from Japan, and is a beautiful Marble blue all over. Just solid blue. I paid a good bit for him. We have been using the same pet store for years and years, or I would have been a little skeptical as to whether it was really an import, but I have never seen another Koi like him, and the people at our hometown pet store are great people and have always been so helpful. And since we have had that fish all of our new babies have that beautiful blue in them. And it is getting huge along w/all the other koi and goldfish.
Well, just wanted to check in, and now it's time to head outside. This weekend is pond cleaning weekend, w/thigh high rubber boots, and cleaning out all of the leaves , pumps, etc... Got to before the water gets warm and the fish start laying their eggs. I've always been told the water temp has to reach 72 deg and remain that warm, before eggs can be laid. So it's time to go play in the mud!!!!!!!!
Happy Ponding to everone, and I wish everyone wonderful success with their ponds again yhis year.

:> :) Happy Ponding & Gardening!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Traci S
judycooksey
Pocahontas, TN
(Zone 7b)

March 18, 2005
8:39 PM

Post #1346715

Traci S - now you know we want pictures!!! Of your pond, your "blue boy Koi", you in thigh high rubber boots, the other part of the "we" ... just pictures of everything.

Judy
crimsontsavo
Crossville, TN
(Zone 7a)

March 19, 2005
11:51 PM

Post #1348825

Here's a shot I just took of our newest pond. Hoping it turns out to look nice when things fill in.
I am planning to plant the whole top part of it with a green moss so you can't see the top of the tub. Most of what I have in pots should fall over the sides and travel along the edges to hide the white parts.

judycooksey
Pocahontas, TN
(Zone 7b)

March 19, 2005
11:59 PM

Post #1348830

crimsontsavo - how creative you are!!!!

Judy
crimsontsavo
Crossville, TN
(Zone 7a)

March 20, 2005
12:01 AM

Post #1348832

Hehe me and mum fought over that bath tub. It's pretty deep and perfectly round. She still looks at me funny for winning it. :-))
(Okay okay I didnt 'win' it exactly...I just took it while she wasnt here and put it in the ground really fast, haha.)
Thanks!
TraciS
Temple, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 20, 2005
8:22 PM

Post #1350367

Judy,
Well, I promise to post a pic of us in our Rubber Boots and covered in brown Algae and Leaves. As well as a pic of the pond once I get it atleast presentable. Right now the water is still so murky it would just look like a fancy mud hole. And also, For my Imported Blue Koi, I plan to try and catch it and as many as possible whenever I get more leaves out and do a 1/2-3/4 partial water change. I already have my big Rubbermaid container out there ready and waiting for them. And, I plan on catching the Blue, and my Solid Yellow Koi, and all of the multi-colors, and all of the goldfish-comets. So I'll take as many pic's as possible. I am excited to get to see them so up close as well!!! We are going to buy a bigger net tomorrow. And I have a ? I bought a Black Moor the same time I bought the Imported Blue. I was told it was certainly a pond fish, and I would see it periodically up until this past fall. Ofcourse, I haven't messed w/any of them since the cold weather. But are they pretty hardy, or do they not do as well in the cold? I am gonna fish for him/her w/the net too. But, I just wondered if they aren't as hardy as koi.
This is a pic of my Loving husband and myself at his company Christmas Party. We had a Blast as usual !! I think he is absolutely Gorgeous and I will post the pics of me in my rubber boots and covered in Brown Algae from head to toe asap. And a good pic of the pond and waterfall as soon as we get done w/ Spring cleaning.

Thanks,
Traci S

This message was edited Mar 20, 2005 4:28 PM

Thumbnail by TraciS

jtspeaks
San Diego, CA

March 20, 2005
8:52 PM

Post #1350412

I know I said I would post pictures last week...sorry. LIfe just seems to keep getting in the way. Thisis a little pond that I put together 1 year ago. The koi have tripled in size. Wish I had more space!

Thumbnail by jtspeaks

jtspeaks
San Diego, CA

March 20, 2005
8:53 PM

Post #1350414

here are a few more shots

Thumbnail by jtspeaks

jtspeaks
San Diego, CA

March 20, 2005
8:54 PM

Post #1350415

Koi are kind of hard to see...goldfish show up though
The pond is 3 feet deep...

Thumbnail by jtspeaks

jtspeaks
San Diego, CA

March 20, 2005
8:54 PM

Post #1350418

Edge of the pond

Thumbnail by jtspeaks

jtspeaks
San Diego, CA

March 20, 2005
8:59 PM

Post #1350425

Kind of gives you the idea...

Hope I Haven't taken to much space on this thread...?
I had a patio, and there were two orange trees where the pnd now is. I left the lemon tree on one edge, and a tangerine tree on the other. I was working agains a brick wall and a chainlink fence, so I was real limited. The pond is 5 feet wide, 9 feet long and 3 feet wide, the water fall is about 5 feet away, with a small creek running into the pond.

Thumbnail by jtspeaks

TraciS
Temple, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 20, 2005
10:08 PM

Post #1350508

I am posting this awful winter pic just to check in!! But today, we were in the process of cleaning out the leaves and all of the yucky stuff out of the pond to get ready for Spring. We are gonna do a 1/2 to 3/4 water change. Nowhere near finished yet. We plan on catching the fish and we have our rubber boots that come up to your thighs and all. As soon as we are finished we will post an After shot. I just hope and pray it'll be lots better!

Thanks,
Traci S

Thumbnail by TraciS

Pixydish
Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

March 22, 2005
4:44 AM

Post #1353654

Well we're almost finished with the digging for the pond. Let's just say that we got carried away and the pond has ended up being MUCH bigger than I previously thought it would be. I've posted a picture on the Thrifty ponding site so I won't take up space here.
Keep the inspirational photos coming!
Pixydish
mcdonaga
Fort Walton Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

March 23, 2005
3:56 PM

Post #1356830

We have a 9'x12'x2' pond in our backyard. Will have to post pics when I get home from work. We started with a preformed 100 gal pond and were not satisfied. After one year we dug a 700 gal flexible liner pond and still were not quite happy. Now we are at roughly 1700 gals and that is large enough for now. Stocked with fancy goldfish and many colors of lilies.
MasterofNone
Germantown, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 24, 2005
1:32 AM

Post #1358146

Hi, I'm a newbie with a pond. I guess I should clarify, a newbie to DG. The pond is about 3 years old. I build it myself and it was one of the most satisfying projects that I have ever attempted. I'm ready to build a two-tiered pond next, then enlarge the existing pond. Some day I would like to resurrect an old dry pond that was here when we moved here. It was an a farm pond but the previous owners added a drain to it so the water level fluctuates alot and by summer it is completely dry. Too many ponds, not enough time :^)

I've enjoyed looking at everyones pictures, there are some gorgeous ponds here.
If you care to see my pond, there are pictures on my website ...

http://www.jandbk.org/pond_page

Jean
TXMel
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 7b)

March 24, 2005
2:28 AM

Post #1358307

THAT was very cool! Thanks for sharing! It makes me want to go plant MORE around my pond! Yours looks so natural! Love it!

The website is not too shabby either, Great work!

mel

This message was edited Mar 23, 2005 9:29 PM

Thumbnail by TXMel

crimsontsavo
Crossville, TN
(Zone 7a)

March 24, 2005
3:44 AM

Post #1358501

That's beautiful Mel!!!
Pixydish
Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

March 24, 2005
3:56 AM

Post #1358528

So Jean, your DG name is Masterofnone? I beg to differ, oh Padawan! You should change it to Masterofthepond! Your pond (and the website) is terrific. Stick around Dave's Garden. I'm new, too, and it's a great place to get ideas and exchange information.
I'm building my first pond, so hope you don't mind my referring to your website pictures on a regular basis!
Pixydish (Melissa)
jerryhildebrand
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 24, 2005
5:55 PM

Post #1359906

texmel Now thats a great pond and garden thanks for sharing
crimsontsavo
Crossville, TN
(Zone 7a)

March 24, 2005
8:48 PM

Post #1360281

At the risk of reposting. (I forget so easily, LOL).
Here's a couple close up's of the pond coming to l;ife.

Sorry for all my blurry pictures.

crimsontsavo
Crossville, TN
(Zone 7a)

March 24, 2005
8:53 PM

Post #1360293

Reflections~

daylily970
Coshocton, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 25, 2005
11:21 AM

Post #1361371

masterofnone, great pond and website. where is germantown? belinda
MasterofNone
Germantown, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 25, 2005
9:56 PM

Post #1362479

Thanks everyone, for the kind compliments on my pond and website. I love seeing photos of everyone's ponds - every one is so different and unique!

TexMel, your pond is gorgeous, I love the layout. Is that a waterfall in the very back? I can just imagine strolling through your garden each morning.

Melissa, good luck on your new pond - it is so exciting when you first fill it with water and turn on the pump! Take pictures, it's so fun to watch the progression.

DayLily, Germantown is just SW of Dayton. Are you north of Zanesville? Very pretty area up there.
TXMel
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 7b)

March 25, 2005
10:09 PM

Post #1362500

Thanks. I was also admiring your waterfall and stream. Yes, that is the main waterfall in the distance, with a 30' long stream with a bridge across. You can see the complete building of the pond in pictures at this link- It truly was a labor of love, and we have enjoyed every day of it. You know how some projects have their draining times... not this one! So much reward!

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/489515/

that reminds me... the Koi were begging for food... gotta run!

mel
judycooksey
Pocahontas, TN
(Zone 7b)

April 5, 2005
2:44 AM

Post #1384518

Gosh I have been out of circulation!!!!

Bump

Judy
xomed28
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 6, 2005
3:10 AM

Post #1386538

Everyones pond looks so nice. I have a preform
pond that I will start putting in this weekend. This
will be my first one. I will be adding goldfish.
Vizz8
Tacoma, WA
(Zone 8a)

April 6, 2005
8:58 PM

Post #1387823

Pic of my itty bitty pond, got lillies and cannas coming on..

Thumbnail by Vizz8

reilly722
Oceanside, CA

May 9, 2005
3:22 PM

Post #1457803

This view is from last Summer. Oceanside, CA

Thumbnail by reilly722

judycooksey
Pocahontas, TN
(Zone 7b)

May 9, 2005
3:26 PM

Post #1457814

Lovely!!!!
earthwormlover
Frederick, MD

May 11, 2005
11:17 AM

Post #1462006

Fabulous ponds. I agree with Masterofnone, I love seeing how everyone's ponds are different. You can get a lot of really great ideas from those photos. I really love reilly's rocks piled up so high to make the edges of that pond. Looks beautiful. I just started my first pond thread yesterday because we had an unsuccessful pond clean-out. The very next day, there was a layer of sediment that completely covered every surface, including the nascent lily leaves. I was broken hearted. But, anyway. Hopefully it shall pass and everyone had great ideas. I will take a photo of the pond, even in it's state of turbidity. I am not ashamed...well a little. The water doesn't look as beautiful as so many of these...give me time! The waterfall isn't running right now because we are giving the sediment a chance to settle.

Thumbnail by earthwormlover

TXMel
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 7b)

May 11, 2005
1:03 PM

Post #1462159

I've wanted to clean out the sludge in our pond a few times, but my hubby says NO, don't upset the biological control. Maybe he is right. The water is as clear as I have ever seen it, but the sludge sits on the bottom. I would just like to see the beautiful rocks again! But... the Koi are happy!

I think I'll leave well enough alone!

PS... just make sure and wash out your filter every other day after all of this stir up! It will settle!

mel
earthwormlover
Frederick, MD

May 11, 2005
5:18 PM

Post #1462715

I agree with your husband Mel, but only to a degree. It's a closed system, which means it may not be able to break down the organic matter as fast as it is generated if it's coming from outside sources, instead of just the plants and creatures that live there. And we live on the edge of woods and leaves are contantly falling in. It's a battle we never seem to win! The first autumn season, we didn't put the netting on until many leaves had already sunk. Bad way to start off. We have never recovered. We've rarely had "clear" water. In the dead of summer, it's definitely pea soup. You can never see the bottom. If the water was clear and there was sludge on the bottom, I would be happy. But, ours never is. It gets sun all day long, for like 10-5. That's at least 5 hours of strong sun. I think that's part of the problem too. And our lilies never seem to get going well enough to shade the water enough to keep the algae from growing. Bummer. Then, it's an ongoing problem.
TXMel
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 7b)

May 11, 2005
6:54 PM

Post #1462916

earth... do you have a waterfall, skimmer, or pump that is recycling or aerating?

mel
littaboycat
Northridge, CA

June 6, 2005
7:52 AM

Post #1524945

we are new ponders. just got our pond in a couple of weeks ago so it's not finished yet. getting there though. we love it already!

Thumbnail by littaboycat

earthwormlover
Frederick, MD

June 6, 2005
10:48 AM

Post #1525022

Hey--littaboy, that's going to be great!
Mel--looks like I never replied to you, sorry. Oops. Yes, we do have a pump with a waterfall to aerate. It's a pretty powerful pump and we've been cleaning it frequently. Things have settled down a bit in the pond. It's not clear, but it's not murky either. It's not super green yet, but it does have some algae. The bottom is still covered with sediment. The plants seem to be doing very well. Hopefully the lilies will grow fast enough to provide some shade soon enough. No blooms yet. We are using barley straw extract.
sstateham
Rockford, IL
(Zone 4b)

June 6, 2005
12:57 PM

Post #1525206

I'm new to Dave's Garden, but I've been gardening for years. We moved a couple of years ago to a house with a huge pond - over an acre. Looking at your gems makes me jealous. A big pond is scenic, but it sure is a lot of work. The challenge of keeping the weeds and marginals under control is my job, and my sweetheart takes care of the water and fish. It sounded like a good idea at the time we agreed on the deal, but I'm thinking I got the short end of the stick. The prior owners put in daylillies, iris, several grasses, and I've added forget me nots and more iris. The rest is weeds, weeds, and more weeds.

Thumbnail by sstateham

TXMel
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 7b)

June 6, 2005
12:57 PM

Post #1525208

My husband just read me a VERY interesting article by a pond builder yesterday. This was in the June issue of DIRT, Howard Garretts e-magazine.

I was wondering if I could "legally" copy that article for ya'll and post it here. It is a great perspective to building ponds and their ecosystem and balance.

Could someone tell me if this is possible...!?

Mel
aggiecorgi
College Station, TX
(Zone 8b)

June 6, 2005
5:13 PM

Post #1525772

My husband and I put one in memorial day weekend. A friend of ours is supposed to hook the outlets we installed to the breaker box, so please ignor the power cords. Water is still a little muddy, we're waiting for it to settle.

Thumbnail by aggiecorgi

aggiecorgi
College Station, TX
(Zone 8b)

June 6, 2005
5:15 PM

Post #1525779

And here's another picture, close-up of the waterfall:

Thumbnail by aggiecorgi

earthwormlover
Frederick, MD

June 7, 2005
10:39 AM

Post #1527859

Mel, don't know about that one. I'm not the one to ask.
Aggie--that's beautiful! Welcome to ponding. You are going to love it. I really like the way they piled up the excavated soil to make a berm. That adds an extra dimension to your landscape and gives you lots of options. Whatcha going to plant up there?
sstate--let those weeds grow, it's too much to fight. If I were you, I would choose one area, close to the house or the main viewing area, to maintain and plant and let the rest of it go. Then, as time goes by, you can continue to widen that area if you so choose. That's what I would do, otherwise, you won't have time to enjoy your pond!
kwrigh01
Clifton Forge, VA
(Zone 6a)

June 8, 2005
12:56 PM

Post #1530704

Here is a picture of my backyard pond ... it was put in last August. We love it ... we were told you'd always want to go bigger, so we went as big as we possibly could in the space available. I just stumbled across DG in the last week and have thoroughly enjoyed it so far.

-kw

Thumbnail by kwrigh01

rutholive
Tonasket, WA
(Zone 5a)

June 8, 2005
4:16 PM

Post #1531217

So many beautiful ponds, large and small. Just really enjoy looking at all of them.

My little ponds were built by the fellow who has worked ,(whenever he had the time and i had the money) for me for 15 years. I had built two small ponds at my other place before i moved here just over 10 years ago. here there was NOTHING except sage brush and grass, so it was start from beginning.

So we excavated the soil from a pretty much level areanad made the two ponds using for information my previous limited experience and what I got from books and magazines. In this pretty much isolated area there are no pond supply businesses. The rocks are all native rocks. I don't have a waterfall, other than from the sort of tree shaped one on the cement shelf. There is a tiny stream from the small pool to the larger one going under the bridge.

The larger pool has the goldfish, 3 are 10 years old that i moved with me, the rest of the 35 or so goldfish are their offspring. Last summer i bought a small koi who hides most of the time. The smaller pond is for the frogs and toad and polywogs.

DonnaS

Thumbnail by rutholive

rutholive
Tonasket, WA
(Zone 5a)

June 8, 2005
4:22 PM

Post #1531235

Another photo of ponds. Donnas

Thumbnail by rutholive

rutholive
Tonasket, WA
(Zone 5a)

June 8, 2005
4:27 PM

Post #1531251

And here is one more, this is the berm created from soil excavated from larger pool. DonnaS

Thumbnail by rutholive

Vizz8
Tacoma, WA
(Zone 8a)

June 8, 2005
4:37 PM

Post #1531278

lovely ponds DonnaS

viv
rutholive
Tonasket, WA
(Zone 5a)

June 8, 2005
5:10 PM

Post #1531352

Viv, Thanks, I just went out to feed my bluebirds, was late, but finally just a drizzle. There is a family of quail that come in to eat, actually several families but this one couple have about 20 babies, but I can't get a good picture , as soon as they see any movement, they are gone and I tried to take a pic through the window, but just can't get a good one. I have two tiny like half barrel size pools, and one just off the deck I just leave for the quail and what ever other birds want to drin or use it., there is a dripper in the half shell above it so water is dripping into the lower pool all the time. DonnaS
sstateham
Rockford, IL
(Zone 4b)

June 8, 2005
7:47 PM

Post #1531741

Wow - I wish our berm looked like that!

Ours is full of whatever chose to grow there, mainly weeds and sumacs. Skip (my sweety) burned it off last fall thinking that it would help control the mess (you couldn't even walk through the brush), so this year I think Ihave an extra fertile landing strip for weed seeds. It's pretty in August when the rudbeckia blooms, though, and in the fall the sumac is gorgeous.

Stacy

earthwormlover
Frederick, MD

June 8, 2005
10:30 PM

Post #1532146

kw--that is one gorgeous pond! Welcome to DG, I think we all just sorta stumblied across it and got stuck here. The pond has a wonderful shape. Nice framework to play with as the years go by and you can experiment.
Ruth--that is so inspiring, holy schmoly. I absolutely love what you have done. It's so lush and full of "you".
sstate--Isn't it a drag when the things you do to help your desirable plants end up helping the ones you don't want instead? Hate that ;) Let go and let mother nature.
sstateham
Rockford, IL
(Zone 4b)

June 8, 2005
11:18 PM

Post #1532275

earth - that's about what I've decided to do. The birds and butterflies seem to like it, so what they heck. I've thought several times about seeding is some things, but have never gotten to it. That part of the yard isn't covered by the sprinkler system, and it's a 4 acre hike from the house. My last thought has been to plant some ultra hardy ground cover roses on each end. Just a couple of plants to water, which I can do when we're down fishing if I leave my watering can by the pond. The neighbors down the road have some, and according to her, once she got them up and going she's never worked with them since. Pics of the back of the berm follow...
This one is from the top of the berm out to the woods last fall

Thumbnail by sstateham

sstateham
Rockford, IL
(Zone 4b)

June 8, 2005
11:20 PM

Post #1532280

this is late July last year.

By the way, my name is Stacy - that's got to be easier to type than "sstateham"

Thumbnail by sstateham

jerryhildebrand
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

June 9, 2005
1:24 AM

Post #1532513

my little pond

jerryhildebrand
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

June 9, 2005
1:27 AM

Post #1532521

another view

rutholive
Tonasket, WA
(Zone 5a)

June 9, 2005
1:46 AM

Post #1532558

Stacy that is a really great view from your berm. What is the peeling bark tree to the left.

jerry, good looking pond and I can see lots of work involved moving all those rocks around . Are they from your property. Are there fish in your pond. I have about 30 goldfish and one koi that keeps itself hidden most of the time. DonnaS
Pixydish
Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

June 9, 2005
4:52 AM

Post #1533083

Wow! Look at all the great ponds that have appeared since the last time I visited this thread! I had no idea so many people had ponds until I found this website. I just kept 'finding' it whenever I'd search for information on ponds.
Donna, I still love your pond with all of your mature water lilies! I do hope my little fishies have babies, too! They look mightly small in the pond just now.
Stacy, welcome to DG! I agree that mother nature has provided you with the perfect berm! The colors and textures cannot be beat! Why fight it?
Jerry, your rocks look just like mine! Sure you don't live in Washington State? Mine all came from my soil. What about yours? Any fish?
Here's a photo of my pond so far. I've changed the waterfall since I took it, and I'm still planting the rock garden. But it's getting there!

Thumbnail by Pixydish

earthwormlover
Frederick, MD

June 9, 2005
10:52 AM

Post #1533339

Pixy--those little miniature evergreens are adorable. I agree with you about Stacey's berm, what the heck are you complaining about Stacey? All that color and the texture of the beautiful bark. Nice!
Jerry--that's a beautiful little pond! I love the contrast the rocks provide.
sstateham
Rockford, IL
(Zone 4b)

June 9, 2005
11:01 AM

Post #1533353

Ruth - the bark is a river birch. They're all over out there. Earth - not complaining so much as wishing it was tamed. It's pretty as it it, jusy very difficult to keep under any control.

Pixydish
Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

June 9, 2005
2:56 PM

Post #1533785

Ahh, yes! The uncontrollable nature of...nature! In this case, Beautiful! We pay a nice big price here for River Birch.
Earth, I'm a little addicted to the dwarf evergreens. I find them exceptionally charming even though I'm not that crazy about most of their larger cousins. And they won't outgrow the space!

kwrigh01
Clifton Forge, VA
(Zone 6a)

June 9, 2005
4:14 PM

Post #1533987

earth - thanks for your comments. The back yard is definitely a "work in progress" with the pond the first element. I hope to put a gazebo in the back corner and a deck to the right of picture ()maybe with a hottub). Thanks to all of you for the warm welcome and the beutiful pictures of ponds. My pond buddy (we built our ponds at the same time and helped each other) and I are thinking of starting a pond building/maintenance business and I've already gotten some neat ideas to incorporate into new pond designs. Hope you all have a blessed day.

-kw
earthwormlover
Frederick, MD

June 11, 2005
4:03 PM

Post #1539056

That's great kw! Good luck with it.
Pixy--I like the dwarf evergreens too. I agree, it's a charm thing ;)
Stacey--good luck with "control", it's a tough concept with gardening!
sstateham
Rockford, IL
(Zone 4b)

June 11, 2005
4:51 PM

Post #1539161

earth - no kidding! I can use all the luck I can get. Acutally last night we were talking and I think we've decided to just let it go as it chooses. A cut down in the winter and a burn off in the spring ought to keep the sumac from running too rampant.
pinky100
Mason, MI
(Zone 5b)

June 12, 2005
3:02 AM

Post #1540379

Here is my pond. Still work in progress.

Thumbnail by pinky100

jasmerr
Merrimac, WI
(Zone 4b)

June 12, 2005
5:11 AM

Post #1540661

Here are some photos of our pond under construction (fall 2001.) I had to take a person out of the middle of the photo, so it may look a little odd:

This message was edited Jun 12, 2005 12:13 AM

Thumbnail by jasmerr

jasmerr
Merrimac, WI
(Zone 4b)

June 12, 2005
5:14 AM

Post #1540665

The pond before it was filled:

Thumbnail by jasmerr

jasmerr
Merrimac, WI
(Zone 4b)

June 12, 2005
5:16 AM

Post #1540668

And an aerial view after ice had started forming (tree in the top left corner is the same as tree in first photo):

This message was edited Jun 12, 2005 12:18 AM

Thumbnail by jasmerr

earthwormlover
Frederick, MD

June 12, 2005
11:00 AM

Post #1540847

Pinky--usually "a work in progress" means "a mess", but that pond looks gorgeous!
Jasmerr--keep us informed. Interesting progression of photos. I like the ice shot. That's a big pond. Do you have any recent photos?
jasmerr
Merrimac, WI
(Zone 4b)

June 12, 2005
7:29 PM

Post #1542037

I'll try to get some current photos taken soon. I won't be able to get an aerial shot; we were able to get that one when we rented a lift truck to do some Christmas decorating (see http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/368150/.)
earthwormlover
Frederick, MD

June 13, 2005
11:29 AM

Post #1543611

checked it out. Neato.
TXMel
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 7b)

June 15, 2005
1:33 PM

Post #1549117

OK. I copied that article that I spoke of recently, ((((Ponds, gravel, ecosystems, balance and clarity))) but it is TOO large to post here, so if you will send me your email address, I will send you a copy!

Melanie

melharris@dot11net.net
Vizz8
Tacoma, WA
(Zone 8a)

June 16, 2005
5:14 AM

Post #1551250

pinky. such a nice pond!

Viv
Quyen
Orange, CA
(Zone 10b)

June 16, 2005
5:24 AM

Post #1551267

Here's a picture of our koi "tank". It used to be a planter but we took out all the dirt and lined it w/ rubber liner. We've had it for about 8 years now. The kois you see are about 7 years old. There are some gold fish in there, too. We planted yellow and pink water lilies but only the pink ones survived. It's a joy to watch the shoots and leaves emerge every spring. And, of course, it's great fun for the kids to feed the kois.

(The nylon mesh keeps out the racoons, cats, and possums.)

Thumbnail by Quyen

Vizz8
Tacoma, WA
(Zone 8a)

June 16, 2005
5:28 AM

Post #1551274

How big is your koi "tank". It looks wonderful.

Viv
Quyen
Orange, CA
(Zone 10b)

June 22, 2005
6:47 AM

Post #1566849

Thanks, Viv. It's only 20 in. by 5 ft. and 2 ft. deep. We have 2 butterfly kois and 2 BIG goldfish in there. We also have a 900 gal. koi pond in the back with 9 small kois and 1 goldfish. The only plants we have in that one are the algae.

Quyen
earthwormlover
Frederick, MD

June 22, 2005
12:44 PM

Post #1567105

Ahhh...algae. Now THAT'S a plant I can grow!
MississippiSkie
Collins (90 min. dr, MS
(Zone 8b)

June 23, 2005
6:23 AM

Post #1569590

I've got a new goldfish pond that I've "furnished" mostly with plants from Davesgarden! I don't even need a filter as they keep it basically clear. I do, however, add a bit of fresh water to make up for the evaporation every few days.
SnowBird56
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 25, 2005
3:36 AM

Post #1574399

My newest little pond but deeper than last year. It is still a work in progress but the plants are starting to spread out and I have missed two of the lilies bloom to get a picture, also the fish are much happier with their new home..

Thumbnail by SnowBird56

rutholive
Tonasket, WA
(Zone 5a)

June 25, 2005
3:54 AM

Post #1574426

vswilliams, very nice looking pond and the goldfish seem to be very happy.

Here is a photo of my little pond that is north of the house at edge of path in bonsai patio. There are calla lilies around the edge as the ground is quite moist from the drip from the little bird bath above it. No goldfish in it, I did put a large pollywog from the other pond in but haven't seen it since. DonnaS

Thumbnail by rutholive

earthwormlover
Frederick, MD

June 25, 2005
5:19 PM

Post #1575267

I love the word polywog. It's such a happy word.
SnowBird56
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 25, 2005
8:10 PM

Post #1575567

I just love seeing all the ponds it sure makes me want an even bigger one but no space but maybe a little one in a small area in the front yard like your's rutholive it is so cute..You all have done such a wonderful job with your pond's it makes one want to jump right into the picture...
madelyn65
San Manuel, AZ
(Zone 9b)

June 29, 2005
8:06 PM

Post #1586471

I just recently discovered my smaller Koi has ICK...bought the medicine and started treating him...does anyone know how long it takes to clear up? I'm hoping the other fish do not get it! Any ideas out there?
Thanks,
Joni
OldFlowerGirl
Castlegar, BC
(Zone 6b)

June 29, 2005
8:23 PM

Post #1586526

Hi madelyn65. I just finished successfully treating one of my fish for Ick. I would definitley advise separating that fish from your pond and the other fish. I had mine in a large fish bowl, lowered onto one of the shelves in my pond. I treated it for 7 days, changing the water each day and then putting the drops in. Don't be surprised if the fish doesn't
eat right away and will continue to be listless for a while longer as well.. The white spots started fading away after about 4 days, and were completely gone in 7 days. Fishy was full of zip and ready to get back to his friends again. Good Luck!

Forgot to mention that I also treated the pond while I was treating the segregated fish, to make sure the any infection was stopped.

This message was edited Jun 29, 2005 1:25 PM
tgif
Starkville, MS

July 6, 2005
6:57 PM

Post #1603468

Here is mine. The irises were beautiful this Spring and the lilies are everyday surprises.

Thumbnail by tgif

victorgardener

victorgardener
Lower Hudson Valley, NY
(Zone 6b)

July 6, 2005
10:12 PM

Post #1604001

And mine - put it in Fall 2003. This is the view from the top of the waterfall. It's about 2400 gallons. I have koi, lots of plants,including two floating planters.

Victor

Thumbnail by victorgardener

rutholive
Tonasket, WA
(Zone 5a)

July 7, 2005
12:30 AM

Post #1604287

tgif, very nice pond, but I had a problem bringing it up so I could see, just my computer I think. Do you have both koi and goldfish.

victor, Your pond is lovely. What is growing in the large pot in the pond on the left.. DonnaS

victorgardener

victorgardener
Lower Hudson Valley, NY
(Zone 6b)

July 7, 2005
1:11 AM

Post #1604396

In the floating planter on the left is a number of plants including lobelia, rush and chameleon. The large green shrub is not in it, though it looks like it is in that shot. It's an aralia growing at the pond's edge. Thanks.

Victor
Pixydish
Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

July 7, 2005
5:05 AM

Post #1604928

Beautiful ponds! I never get tired of looking at ponds. They are all so different, and all so lovely!
tgif
Starkville, MS

July 7, 2005
11:21 AM

Post #1605113

rutholive - I started with comets and shibunkin(?sp) but they crossbred so now I have a delightful mix of colors. Some orange, some orange & white, a few cream and even three blacks!
rutholive
Tonasket, WA
(Zone 5a)

July 8, 2005
12:02 PM

Post #1607608

tgif, great that you had such good luck with your fish crossing. Bet they are really pretty. My pond is so full of waterlily pads that i can hardly see the fish or find a space to feed them. Some of the pads are more than 14 inches in diameter. Don't know why they are so large, didn't replant of even fertilize them this spring. DonnaS
rutholive
Tonasket, WA
(Zone 5a)

July 8, 2005
12:04 PM

Post #1607612

Victor, I enjoy just looking at your photo of your very nice pond, and looks like you also enjoy sitting there and seeing all that beauty. DonnaS
tgif
Starkville, MS

July 8, 2005
12:14 PM

Post #1607636

Victor - how about a picture of the waterfall? Two reasons for that, 1 - I love to see them and 2 - while your back is turned I'm going to steal that beautiful blue Hydrangea
and put it by MY pool!!!
ginni
nDEBt
Troy, IL
(Zone 6a)

July 12, 2005
1:05 AM

Post #1616948

I have a small 75 gallon pond we put in last summer. It is really starting to look pretty good. It has come a long way. The only problem I have is that I didnt map out my garden so I have a couple of plants that are unidentified. LOL

Pic 1: Just set up

Deb

Thumbnail by nDEBt

nDEBt
Troy, IL
(Zone 6a)

July 12, 2005
1:06 AM

Post #1616950

Here she is by Aug last year.

Thumbnail by nDEBt

nDEBt
Troy, IL
(Zone 6a)

July 12, 2005
1:08 AM

Post #1616956

Here she is now...well last month actually.

She has come a long way!

Thumbnail by nDEBt

BogweedBuck
Leesburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

July 12, 2005
1:21 AM

Post #1616984

The waterfall ...

I've been working on this entire back yard for about 8 weeks, I hope to be done with this by summer's end. lol

Thumbnail by BogweedBuck

BogweedBuck
Leesburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

July 12, 2005
1:22 AM

Post #1616986

and the view from beside the waterfall at this stage.

Thumbnail by BogweedBuck

rutholive
Tonasket, WA
(Zone 5a)

July 12, 2005
1:33 AM

Post #1617011

nDEBt, Great name. Very nice pond, Looking good.

BogweedBuck, Great name you have too. Love your waterfall. Mine is the way we built it 10 years ago, not knowing much about waterfallls, etc, and at my age don't think I will try to change it. DonnaS
nDEBt
Troy, IL
(Zone 6a)

July 12, 2005
2:04 AM

Post #1617091

Bogweedbuck...funny! I love your waterfall!!!

When is a garden/yard ever done???!!??

Donna,

Thanks, she aint much but I love her!!!!!
Pixydish
Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

July 12, 2005
6:30 AM

Post #1617962

NDebt and Bogweed, looking good!
NDebt, your retaining walls around the pond would look lovely with trailing lobelia and sweet alyssum spilling over them. I think I would be tempted to treat that as a huge hanging basket! It's a great pond!

BogweedBuck, if you actually manage to finish you better share you secret with us! I don't think my pond, or my yard , or my house for that matter, will ever be finished! (Note hysterical laughter here...) But your work is impressive nontheless.
BogweedBuck
Leesburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

July 12, 2005
1:30 PM

Post #1618292

Well, perhaps I should define today's use of the word "finished" ...

Hmmm, on second thoguht, perhaps that is word which very well may never be effectively definable within the confines of this subject nor this crowd of lovely people.

Okay, what I meant was this: finally hiding all the "evidence" of shortcuts taken, etc. I don't want to see the pressure treated lumber and that nasty old black plastic liner on the waterfall basin, therefore I still have a certain amount rocks to move and plants to plant to effectively achieve the masking of these most unsightly things.

I want there to come a day when my sphincter doesn't begin to maniacally twitch whenever the weather man begins calling for torrential downpours.

I look forward to the day when my wife stops bellowing, "Do you REALLY need to have ALL of this $&!+ lying around here?!?!?!"

I look forward to the day when I can finally rid the planet of the 'coons, herons and ergrets who seem to take such extreme pleasure in the maiming and torturing of my Japanese and Israeli koi. I would really like to replace the explosives and constantine wire with something more befitting a residential garden.

(for those of you who are overly sensitive, that was a reference to racoons, not a racial slur, okay?)

So, I guess my idea of "finish" is the day when the "heavy" work is done for the season. Since Mother's Day I have been busting my arse in grand fashion. We extended the deck with a 14x14' hexagon, which required the use of a huge auger drill, jack hammer, a walk-behind trench-digger, etc. etc. etc. In the past 9 weeks we have built a deck, ran one trench from the garage (electric panel) to the deck (for the hot tub) and another out to the pond ... because the line going to the old pond was severed by a friend of mine helping me deal with a flood back in May. We have hauled 2,500 cubic yards of top soil from the driveway around to the back yard, followed shortly thereafter by 8 and a half tons of gravel that had to also be hauled around by hand.

Then, there was the episode from hell involving this 8hp 'tilller that I rented ... hell, literally, because I had that puppy for the 2 hottest days of the summer thus far: 100 degree+ and upper 90's for humidity ... and it had not rained in WEEKS so the "soil" (bedrock and clay, to be more to the point) was packed beyond belief. It was like trying to roto-till a sidewalk. But alas, dozens of bags of perilite and fertilizer was tilled in with the clay, rocks, leaf mulch and top soil. We have our own manfactured "potting soil" ... but I did a horrible job planning for excess water flow. All three of the neighbors have had their yards re-graded since moving in ... and all three of them divert their rain water right towards this VERY SAME CORNER OF MY YARD.

But I'm okay, really, I am.

Yes, I know, it will NEVER be done ... but the really frustrating physical labor part of it will be "done" each year ... right up until I cook up some other goofy idea that leaves my wife begging for a hand full of demoral and a bottle of tequilla.

By the way, thanks for the compliments! :o) It used to be a cute, small pond, surrounded by a very modest sized flower garden. It is now somewhat larger, and the surrounding garden has expanded like a super nova to now occupy a better part of our back yard! None of this will ever ... ever ... be finished.
rutholive
Tonasket, WA
(Zone 5a)

July 12, 2005
2:23 PM

Post #1618417

Buck, can I call you that ? You have certainly worked very hard to get your deck and yard into great shape. Wish i could see it for real.

I am trying a fairly new product to keep animals at bay. It is called Plantskydd deer and animal repellent. Longest lasting year round protection. I want to try to keep the darn cottontail rabbits and gophers and deer (when I forget to close the gate) away from my plants. My daughter lives in Fairfax VA. I am going to send her a container of it to try to keep the voles and chipmonks and squirrels away from her plants and bulbs. Comes fully guaranteed.

DonnaS
TXMel
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 7b)

July 12, 2005
2:24 PM

Post #1618420

Oh, thank you Bogweed. You make me feel much better about the "mess" in our backyard. I only THOUGHT we had lots of stuff going on... Hubby says if he could just finish the hardscape projects, he could keep up with the routine maintenance stuff... or keep up with the maintenance, and get to the projects later... vicious cycle! I say, lets just move!

We will move in under 3 years, so there is an incentive to get the projects done, and make the maintenance look like "low maintenance" in time to sell! LOL

Thank goodness that the pond is finished, and it is very little maintenance these days! Hurray! Now to get those pathways and beds done, and the weeds down... Time to rip out more, and add more, too! Neverending!
BogweedBuck
Leesburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

July 12, 2005
3:45 PM

Post #1618589

Yes, Donna, Buck works just fine ... been a given nickname for over 20 years now, so I suppose I should get used to it.

The VERY best deer repellent I have found is also known as "Bouncing Betty." It's a explosive that is catipulted vertically less than a meter into the air prior to detonation and sends off tens of thousands of fragmented shards. While highly effective on deer and teenagers, it is really somewhat of a waste when it comes to the smaller creatures and vermin. A bench mounted .20 cal. RWS Dianna outfitted with a competition scope and muzzle break does a great job with them ... although, you really want to watch out for stray shots puncturing your liner. The muzzle break allows each shot to exit the barrel at an impressive 1,350 feet per second with hardly a noticible "phuff" of noise from the rifle itself. This keeps the neighbors blissfully, albeit ignorantly, unaware.

We have tried various incindiary devices, but it always seems like the bunnies instantly head for cover under the house or, worse still, under the neighbor's house as soon as it realizes it's fur and flesh are aflame. While it is mildly entertaining to watch, it is still more than a little unsettling to have to come up with new stories to ward off investigations from the fire chief.

Perhaps you could send me a link to this fully guaranteed product! I am certain my wife will love you forever if you could dissuade me from these more Neanderthallic, yet highly satisfying, methods I have heretofore adopted.

And, of course, there's the old school option ...

Thumbnail by BogweedBuck

Wvdaisy
Buffalo, WV
(Zone 7a)

July 13, 2005
1:07 AM

Post #1619691

OMG Buck! You have me LOL! I'm sure my mom would like some of your ordinance to take care of her deer problem since they, just this week, got INTO her pond and ate every lily leaf, knocked stuff off shelves to make a muddy mess in the bottom of the pond and ate all the hostas and blooms of the daylilies.

Here's a pic of our pond we started in mid-June. It's at 2300 gal right now and still needs to come up a few inches, then, when we add the plant pond it will be around 3000gal. DH works either late or out of town most every day so the only time he can work on it is weekends. I can't do any of the heavy work because of back problems so it goes slowly.
Lana

Thumbnail by Wvdaisy

rutholive
Tonasket, WA
(Zone 5a)

July 13, 2005
1:43 AM

Post #1619754

WVDaisy, Almost looks big enough and deep enough so he sould go swimming. HaMust have been really provoking for your Mom. For some reason when the deer do come into my yard they just prune things like my cherry tree branches, raspberries, etc. have never as far as I know been very close to my ponds.. I better not brag tho. DonnaS
Wvdaisy
Buffalo, WV
(Zone 7a)

July 13, 2005

Post #1620072

Donna, if it was a little deeper it would be good swimming :~) My mom and I started the pond while he was at work, that night when he saw the area we had already taken sod off of he said "I've fished ponds smaller than that!" LOL
This is the first time the deer have actually gotten 'into' her pond.
Lana
Pixydish
Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

July 13, 2005
6:46 AM

Post #1620354

Buck, you have me rolling! Man, can I ever relate to the on-going "it'll never be finished" demise! I had to read your descriptions of explosives out loud, as my son was highly entertained by them. Wicked sense of humor! Keep it up! It's probably the only thing that allows you to survive your suburban death camp!

Actually, it sounds to me like you need ...MORE PROPERTY! Just put a little more space between you and the neighbors and you won't even need that silencer on the gun!

Your wife will never understand what drives you. People like her never do. They must just love us from afar!

I've decided that if I lose fish from herons or kingfishers, I'm just going to keep cheap fish, because I love those big birds every bit as much as I do the fish. Guess I better not get too attached to them, huh? I don't think ordinance would even phase the birds around here. We live close to Ft. Lewis, the army fort where the 'play' wargames all day and all night. Is it an earthquake? No... it's just the army blowing things up for practice! The birds around here are used to it!

BogweedBuck
Leesburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

July 13, 2005
12:38 PM

Post #1620571

Mornin, Pixy, Daisy, all ... and thanks!

Pixy, about your birds ... as much as they may be used to that noise, they are NOT accustomed to having razor-like shards of metal searing through their flesh at sub sonic speeds as an angry "old" man maniacally giggles at the random clumps of feathers and desicated flesh that splatters against the fence... they've never heard the peels of laughter as I watch my koi get their own little taste of revenge as they nibble at the unidentifiable remains of these evil minions of the sky sinking towards the bottom of the pond ...

Ah, but a girl can dream ...

Sorry about that little flight of fantasy ... I just woke up this morning to find that yet another little evil beast of the field has discovered my make believe sanctuary: a racoon. As much as these critters are entertaining to watch from afar, this one has now crossed the line. I just re-stocked on some QU'WALITY koi food only to have one of these vile beasts find a way to pop the top off of my 5 gal. "tool bucket." I KNEW the little bastard was around ... my dog (a mentally deranged Jack Russell terrorist ... er ... terrier [ever see Ren & Stimpy? Think "Ren"]) occasionally spazzes out at night for no obvious reason. On these occasions when she's chosen to overnight it outside, she inevitably makes a bee-line to said pond. NOW I KNOW ...

A mere couple weeks ago I was blessed enough to begin my with the discovery of one of my prized Israeli koi (I know, Jewish Carp ... who'da thunk it?) trapped inside of an "aqua pot" with a gouge along one side of his head, and his poor little eyes bugged out, a'la Marty Feldman. I blamed the teenage step-son at first ... they really made Mama-san happy ... I then proceeded to blame the cat (why not? the dog gets blamed for far more by said spousal unit) ... and, ultimately, I had to simply chalk it up to "fate."

I still prefer the term "dumb luck."

This morning, though, I experienced what those involved with Alocoholics Anonymous commonly refer to as "a moment of clarity." Behind my half completed waterfall was an overturned bucket. The contents of said bucket strewn about, fish food EVERYWHERE ... and there, on a piece of black, charcoal-impregnated filter pad, I saw something disturbingly familiar ... not-so-tiny footprints that bore no resemblence to those left by the aforementioned feline/canine duo who otherwise torment my life.

"Yes," I thought to myself ...

Hmmm ... my father-in-law, an Elgish professor, would not like that. Who the hell else would I think to?

Nevermind!

"I've seen those malevolent little tracks before! I've seen them on the pond liner. I've seem them in the dirt! I've seen them by my trash cans! I've seen them on my skirt!"

It was at that point that my masculinity took over ...

Anyhow, here's a picture of my beloved "Lemon Drop." I know, not a very Japanese name. Heck, not really all that Yiddish either, but that was his/her/its name all the same.

Rest in Peace, my slimy late friend from the pond. May God bless thee and keep thee. May He make His face to shine upon thee ...

Ah, screw it. 'Eres my late, great feeshy...

Thumbnail by BogweedBuck

TXMel
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 7b)

July 13, 2005
1:08 PM

Post #1620625

Oh, No! If I lost one of my KOI, I would be devistated! I'm sorry that you lost one!

Mine are my babies! (Only creature that I have that just wiggles in delight when I walk past the pond, happy to see me!)

melanie
BogweedBuck
Leesburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

July 13, 2005
6:27 PM

Post #1621311

Wow, you've yet to lose one? Man, I do envy that!

This season alone I've lost no less than 5. Loss #1 was an unassisted "suicide." The little bugger (a 2 year old Shusui koi from Japan) up and jumped out of the pond. Sadly, the little fart was unable to find his way back to water. More of a comic tragedy than a "long story" so I just won't go into it ...

Losses 2 through 4 were my own fault: ALWAYS make sure to QUARANTINE NEW FISH! I introduced some nasty bacterial/fungal gunk into a freshly cleaned out pond and I had a number of non-lethal victims beyond the 3 confirmed deaths. It's was a true bummer, but it also happens to mostly be my fault. (side note: all fish that fell ill were newer additions to the pond. All previous occupants proved wonderfully resilient ... of course, none of them were koi. Shubunkin and Sarissa seem to be noticibly more robust than their relatives from Japan, so ... well, these are dots that are easy enough to connect)

Loss number 5 was Lemon Drop (see above). I have numerous theories, but it is starting to seem like it was the cat or a 'coon.

Loss #6 was truly bizarre ... and I really should have documented it for future reference. Out of NOWHERE, one of my domestic koi suddenly bloated on top of showing fungal damage to the tail. It was a very quick transition from seemingly happy to dead.

Loss #7 was my wife's newest introduction to the pond, a cute little domestic yearling she affectionately named, "Groucho." Cause of death: Unknown. It was one of the more passive residents of the pond and never showed any noticable vigor or growth in the 8 weeks since its introduction to this particular pond.

I ultimately over-stocked this pond knowing that some attrition would occur and also with the intention of giving many of these critters away to friends and family as they grew. It has been frustrating to watch this happen, but sadly, it can happen all too easily.
Wvdaisy
Buffalo, WV
(Zone 7a)

July 13, 2005
7:58 PM

Post #1621517

Buck, my local fish store has been having problems this summer with finding healthy koi. He had a bunch in a tank that just kept getting sick and wouldn't stay well no matter what he treated them for(he always has clean tanks and healthy livestock). Finally, about 2 weeks ago he treated them for internal pests and put salt in the tank and now they are healthy and fine. Just a thought for loss #7.
Lana
christmascactus

July 13, 2005
8:45 PM

Post #1621611

Judy,did you ever find out what or which kind of dog food to feed the fish?
BogweedBuck
Leesburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

July 13, 2005
9:48 PM

Post #1621771

Thanks, Daisy! What surprised me is that Groucho (aka: loss #7) came from a really healthy stock from Lilypons, in Maryland.

I now have one last straggler who lost a good amount of his tail but appears to be recovering quite well. He eats like a fiend and is not the least bit bashful about pushing his way around through his pond mates at mealtime.

Not meaning to black-ball anybody out there, but my worst experience with sickly fish was with Zet's Hatchery, located in sunny, metropolitan Inwood, WV. I would probably stock a large pond or lake with their game fish, which look very robust and healthy, but I will never again dip my net in their koi holding tanks.
Moonglow
Corte Madera, CA

July 13, 2005
10:01 PM

Post #1621801

so sorry to hear about your loss. made me do a koi count!
Wvdaisy
Buffalo, WV
(Zone 7a)

July 14, 2005
12:07 AM

Post #1622081

Hmmm, hadn't heard of that hatchery Buck.
Lana

Sheila_FW

Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 14, 2005
5:43 AM

Post #1622686

I just joined the group in June. My hubby and I live in Fort Worth TX. We have been ponding for about 5 1/2 years. We started out with a preformed double pond, we were so proud of it. We only had fantail goldfish in the preformed ponds, but sadly we lost them during a 3 day electrical outage last spring. As with most ponders the desire to go bigger hit us about 3 years ago. After a lot of trial and error of where to dig, we moved the small pond set-up to the otherside of the yard and dug an 11 x 14' pond with shovels, just ourselves and my son on occassion. We had to haul rocks from the front of the house down a slope to the back yard in a wagon. A bobcat won't fit in the space since prev owners enlarged the house.:-(( It took us a two week vacation and lots of Advil to accomplish the task. Finally we finished and filled it with water, plants and fish eventually. It is our labor or love for sure. Like TXMEL, we also have a Aquascape system. (Whose pond I will be able to see soon! We are just a few miles apart!!). Don't hate me...and quit drooling on your keyboard! Here is our large pond and waterfall. We plan on extending it to encompas the flowerbed near the skimmer, and also add a drybed and bog area. We should have at least double the size eventually.
I have enjoyed looking at all of the pictures and reading your future plans and descriptions of your ponds. I already feel at home on this site.:-))
Sheila in FWTX

This message was edited Aug 3, 2005 9:25 PM

Thumbnail by Sheila_FW

Pixydish
Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

July 14, 2005
6:56 AM

Post #1622717

Well, Sheila, I guess you know us already, considering you already know to warn us about the drooling bit! Had to do a bit of wiping off the old keyboard after viewing your picture! LOL Welcome to DG! We'll try hard not to hate you because of your beautiful pond!
Hey, I was born in Ft. Worth, oh so long ago, so many, many years ago..

Buck, I'm discouraged about your koi! You've got to be careful about posting those pictures of beautiful dead fishies! Makes some of us ultra sad for you! I've got two baby koi, which I never see because they hide in the shallows among all the water hyacinth roots. I see the water celery twitching in there and know it's them, but they don't come out until sundown. My comets and shubunkins are all over the place. I'm trying not to get too attached. Only one fish is named so far, The Lovely Lady Lily, and her entourage of breeding males on her tale! LOL She's a large shubunkin, white with a blue stripe through her tail, and blue and orange spots. I have lots of hiding places, and the pond is deep, so I continue to hope for their survival.
Moonglow
Corte Madera, CA

July 14, 2005
9:57 AM

Post #1622791

pixydish, my baby kois do the same thing: HIDE. yesterday i saw a TAIL moving about. i know they hide under the lotus leaves.

sheila, beautiful pond and surroundings! welcome to DG.

Sheila_FW

Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 14, 2005
11:51 AM

Post #1622890

Thanks for the comments on my pond, sorry about the wet keyboard there Pixydish. LOL!...
I didn't realize until I got the late night post finished that previous to it was the sad lost of Bogweedbuck. Sorry for your loss. We do get attached. ...

On the fry subject, I have nine little ones, not in the big pond, but in a smaller pond that I use to put extra plants in for sharing. I guess I had pulled the plant material out just after spawning. The little ones wouldn't be there if I hadn't, because my Koi and Shibunkin are hot for the eggs as soon as they are out. Guess I have to expand now for sure!
Sheila in TX
TXMel
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 7b)

July 14, 2005
1:29 PM

Post #1623042

Oh Sheila, your pond is just gorgeous! I can't wait to visit and see it all in person! And you have shade! Some of which we have VERY little of! I love the flagstone next to the pond too, and ... I could go on, but I will wait for the personal tour!

Buck, yes, I am sorry to hear about your little fishies. I am so attached to my koi, and I do have several fantails and plain goldfish. There was a time when I did lose 2 of my goldfish. Strange event, as the fish were each laying on a rock next to the pond, with a puncture hole near the head. Nothing else. We eventually found a Large... water snake sunning near the waterfall. We suspect that it was either him, (but not able to swallow the large goldfish) or a prairie hawk that had been hunting in the early mornings...

I hadn't thought about those 2 fish until now, as I always feared that something would happen to a Koi and I couldn't bear that!

BogweedBuck
Leesburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

July 14, 2005
1:31 PM

Post #1623043

We only had one "love connection" in the pond this year, and it was ... uh ... interesting. I wasn't sure if I should feel sorry for her, ashamed of her, or assume the role of cheerleader for her.

Her name is Darrel. J'yup, pronounced just like the dude(s) from the Bob Newhart Show. There's a story there, actually ... we had 3 of these nasty little buggers survive an intentional "stress test" on a new pond last spring. Being the impatient fool that I can sometimes be, I decided to try and "jump-start" the pond's artificial eco-system. In retrospect, I believe "shock" may be a more appropriate term. Last year I built a simple gravity driven bio-filter and was anxious to get it up and running. So, with a fresh bacteria culture ready to be added to the water it was off to the pet store I a'went to buy a bag full of 1"+ feeder comets. After a quick swim in a salt & antibiotic solution, I turned them loose into said new pond. A dozen feeshies soon worked its way down to 5. Some became food for our ex-pet, an alligator snapping turtle named Ziggy. (he was later released back into the wild, but he was so stinkin cute as a hatchling)

ANYHOW ...

And then there were three. Of course, at that age, they were identical ... at which point the wife found herself inspired.

"Honey, look! It's Darrel ... and his brother Darrel ... and his other brother Darrel!!!!"

Since then, one of the three Darrel's fell victim to a tragic ponding accident. The other two sprang into action this spring, although one looked conspicuously ... well ... bloated. It turns out that he was a *she*!

Now in a much larger pond she attracted quite the following of would-be suitors. It was nice being able to get an idea of who the males (or possible aqua-dykes) were in the pond. The other Darrel seemed to want a piece of the action more than most anybody else. My largest Shubunkin (Mars), the pond's social director, was almost equally as assertive. Several of the koi showed more than a passing amount of interest; in fact, the Shusui koi from Japan that I've mentioned before (yeah, I'm corny ... his name is Sushi) is a prime cadidate / suspect. Just a couple of weeks ago some eeeeeety, beeeety little bronze colored fry were seen mucking about in the suspended roots of the Parrot's feather plants.

There were times where the scene would get almost pornographic, though. Imagine every virile male in the pond chasing this one poor estrous female around the pond. The wife strolled up along side me one morning and asked, "What's the all commotion about?"

"I think it's a gang bang, honey ..."

She looked over at me, gave me that empty stare and slow blink, much like one would expect to see from a confused, bleeting sheep, and she just turned and walked away. I guess her being on the phone with her sometimes prudish 70 year old father took the humor out of the whole moment for her.

Oh well ... as I started off saying, a love connection was made at the pond this year. That was the only moment of ichthyo-voyeurism (yeah, that's really a word! I "invented" it a few years back and am pushing the Webster family to have it formally recognized). Our tree frogs have been somewhat prolific. Okay, I've only seen a handfull of tadpoles, but I KNOW they've been hittin' it like bunny rabbits on X, but anyhow. Sometimes I look at all the foamy gunk in my skimmer and think about all the hot aqua-monkey lovin that goes on in and around this pond and find that my left eye just sort of starts twitching.

But anyhow ...

Pixy ... how can you NOT get attached?!?!? My sons and I were under direct orders to get all of the fish named before the 4th of July. I refuse to admit how many fish that is, but it's more than few ... LOL.

Thumbnail by BogweedBuck

Pixydish
Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

July 14, 2005
4:31 PM

Post #1623412

Well, I admit a certain admiration for The Lovely Lady Lily, and I'm sure I could get attached to my koi, but I never see him/her. Lily is the only one with a name so far. My pond is 4000+ gallons and I put in 7 12 cent comets to get the filter going. They're all growing like gang busters. Not an attrition in sight. I figured I get some comet deaths, and then replace them with other fish later, but I think they are going to be staying. Good thing I spent some time choosing the ones I really liked, just in case they lived.
i've seen two baby fishies so far but don't know what they are, because I have two mosquito fish in there as well, so it could be that kind. Don't know how many babies will survive in this pond, because them's good eatin' for the larger fish. Since I don't really have the resources for hundreds of fish, I'm just letting nature take its course.
budzy
Springfield, OH
(Zone 6b)

August 3, 2005
10:52 PM

Post #1669452

This is my 6th pond and the most one I ever got involved with. It is 22 feet by 30 feet. I love land scaping and trying all kinds of things. It has 4000 lb. of concrete in the water fall, 6 tons of rocks, 2 tons of potted soil, 25 koi and 4 large frogs. I have about 1/2 achers and have 21 trees, 21 clematics, 54 ferns, 5 hydrangas and a lot of other plants. I really like Daves Garden it is the best. This was my first posting on the sight. Good luck to all !! Happy gardening !!!!!!

Thumbnail by budzy

1251casey
Lake Villa, IL
(Zone 5a)

August 3, 2005
11:48 PM

Post #1669544

My first small pond but not my last pond. New this season, loving it every moring during 'coffee' hour. We keep saying that if all goes well we'll try our hand at a bigger pond. Still a work in progress due to missing waterfall and young plants. Can't wait to see them next year!

Thumbnail by 1251casey

Sheila_FW

Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 4, 2005
2:37 AM

Post #1669842

Welcome Budzy and 1251casey, I am fairly new and love the whole website and I am sure you will too. Budzy, I am green with envy of the large pond and healthy looking plants you have. It is beautiful!!!!...
1251casey, with the georgeous setting and space you appear to have, I bet you won't wait too long before expanding. Best of luck!
Sheila in TX
busybee
Kentwood, LA
(Zone 8b)

August 4, 2005
12:53 PM

Post #1670492

Love the alligator Budzy,but here I would be afarid it would attract the real thing.LOL.
BogweedBuck
Leesburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

August 4, 2005
2:13 PM

Post #1670633

22 x 30 ... now *that's* a pond!!!!!
rutholive
Tonasket, WA
(Zone 5a)

August 4, 2005
2:23 PM

Post #1670646

Welcome Budsey and 1521 casey.

Budsey what a nice large pond you have and on 1/2 acre, I did read that right didn't I? Great plantings.

casey you have a great spot for morning coffee and nice background and plent of space for trees and shrubs.

I don't have any tree very close to my ponds, didn't want to have to fight leaves all summer. The sun isn't really right for taking a picture but here are a couple, one shows my helper Bluebird, a trimmed Lhaso Apso. Loves drinking out of the pools. DonnaS

Thumbnail by rutholive

rutholive
Tonasket, WA
(Zone 5a)

August 4, 2005
2:26 PM

Post #1670649

And here is another view with Blue deciding to drink or not. DonnaS

Thumbnail by rutholive

christmascactus

August 4, 2005
5:07 PM

Post #1670976

This message was edited Oct 27, 2006 3:47 PM
BogweedBuck
Leesburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

August 8, 2005
11:43 AM

Post #1678639

Thanks, Cactus. He/she was an rather handsome little specimen.
Tanarae
Granbury, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 8, 2005
6:49 PM

Post #1679489

This is my pond after it was first built so the plants are not mature yet. Now it looks like a jungle!

Thumbnail by Tanarae

Sheila_FW

Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 9, 2005
2:11 AM

Post #1680386

Nice pond and waterfall Tanarae! It doesn't take long in TX for the plants to explode when they have all the water they need. What type of fish do you keep?
Sheila
TXMel
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 7b)

August 9, 2005

Post #1680532

Great waterfall! Do you have some updated photos?

Thanks for sharing!
Dave47
Southern, CT
(Zone 6a)

August 13, 2005
4:56 AM

Post #1688875

I'll chime in. I have about a 600 gallon pond which came with my house when I moved 3 years ago. I had done a fair amount of gardening before this, but none with water. Its funny, at first I was afraid of making a mistake. Now, I'm amazed how my comets survive CT winters and keep multiplying. I would never want to be without one again.
gardenergail
Bay, AR
(Zone 7a)

August 13, 2005
5:10 AM

Post #1688894

Well, within (I hope) 48 hrs, I too will be able to count myself among the ponders! I'm getting ready to install my first water garden, thanks to my BIL (he gave me the form) and my "bestest" buddy, ButterflyChaser for helping me scrape and paint the trim above where it's going, so I can get that cleaned up and start the digging! I think she's going to help me install it, too, thank goodness. She has several and knows all the "ins and outs."

It has a ground level waterfall / fountain that spills into an in-ground pond, 2 ft deep with 2 plant ledges. It has a crack I've got to repair, but other than that it's in great shape. I can't wait!

I did a "mock" set-up to see what it would look like...

Thumbnail by gardenergail

judycooksey
Pocahontas, TN
(Zone 7b)

October 26, 2006
3:16 PM

Post #2852381

bumping this up for Kathy_Ann

Judy
bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

October 27, 2006
10:31 AM

Post #2854909

Hello!!!
Greetings from Virginia Beach, Va!!!. I have 2 ponds, the larger one is 4 years old, made by a pond designer and the 2nd one os a pre formed and like the landscaping. I maintain it and it is not an easy job. We have kois, lost all my kois on the summer of 2005, lost power but now we have designated lines for the ponds. Here are the pictures. Not so profficient so bear with me

This message was edited Oct 27, 2006 5:32 AM

Thumbnail by bellieg

bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

October 27, 2006
10:34 AM

Post #2854914

Above is not the picture i wanted to post!! LOL!!! I have to try again!!

Thumbnail by bellieg

bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

October 27, 2006
10:45 AM

Post #2854926

above is a better picture now I have to show you the inside. I need to delete this picture but does not know how!!!

This message was edited Oct 27, 2006 5:46 AM

Thumbnail by bellieg

bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

October 27, 2006

Post #2854928

Here is the inside picture.
No picture!!!

This message was edited Oct 27, 2006 5:50 AM
bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

October 27, 2006
10:51 AM

Post #2854930

I am trying!! Persistence!!!
this just shows the water fall!!!

This message was edited Oct 27, 2006 5:53 AM

Thumbnail by bellieg

bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

October 27, 2006
10:56 AM

Post #2854935

I hope the picture is okay!!! Bellie

Thumbnail by bellieg

bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

October 27, 2006
10:59 AM

Post #2854938

Here is the 2nd pond. We are so proud of this backyard.We work hard for it to look like this!!! Bellie

Thumbnail by bellieg

bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

October 27, 2006
11:04 AM

Post #2854940

More picture of the 2nd pond. I hope ypu do not get tired!! Bellie

That is it for now, we are getting ready to do winter care. Kois are still eating!! By thwe way I truly enjoy looking at all your ponds. Bellie

This message was edited Oct 27, 2006 6:06 AM

Thumbnail by bellieg

rutholive
Tonasket, WA
(Zone 5a)

October 27, 2006
1:55 PM

Post #2855373

Bellie, you are right to be proud of your ponds, I can see you have put a lot of work into the area

Will finish preparing my two ponds for winter today. Have to move the pots of waterlilies to the deepest area and shut off the pump. Haven't fed the fish much in Oct. and will not feed them again untill spring. I have only one koi, It is 3 years old now. The rest are goldfish ranging in age from 1 to 15 years.

It hasn't been cold enough this fall for frost to form anywhere, but the prediction is for down into the 20s for next week. So fall is really here.

Donna
randbponder
Hornick, IA
(Zone 4b)

October 27, 2006
8:07 PM

Post #2856473

We have a few too many Koi in our 3000gal pond. But we like to sit and watch them when we have time to relax on the patio. So I put up with a little extra work on keeping up with the fish on cleaning filters a little more offten. To start with, 8 or 9 years ago we decided to install a pond. We bought a preformed kit. Would have been about 100gal. Before the weather got decient enough to dig. another friend said he had wished he'd dug his deeper, so he could winter his fish in the pond. Well looking at the pond kit, about 18" if it were brim full. I couldn't see trying to move fish in and out every spring and fall.
So I bit the bullet and used the skid loader and had fun diging. with a machine instead of by hand. We now have about 50 koi that are pets. and a bunch of little ones that still dart for cover when they see something move by the pond. We have 3 now that are 24" and a bunch that are 8" - 18" Oh and the little preformed thing That is now part of the filter system. Sometimes I wish I had stayed with just that, but then I would have found out that koi do grow up, to be too big for their space." Bellieg" I do like the way you used the lettuce on the falls. Did doing that seem to help in keeping the pond cleaner?

Sorry I didn't take any new pics this year, so you may have already seen this one.

Thumbnail by randbponder

randbponder
Hornick, IA
(Zone 4b)

October 27, 2006
8:09 PM

Post #2856484

Aw just one more!

Thumbnail by randbponder

PalmBchBill
West Palm Beach, FL
(Zone 10b)

November 9, 2006
7:01 PM

Post #2898199

I guess I'll join in with a few recent pond pic's
This one is with the much needed critter excluder net cover.

Thumbnail by PalmBchBill

PalmBchBill
West Palm Beach, FL
(Zone 10b)

November 9, 2006
7:03 PM

Post #2898209

Here's one from above

Thumbnail by PalmBchBill

PalmBchBill
West Palm Beach, FL
(Zone 10b)

November 9, 2006
7:05 PM

Post #2898217

...and a close-up of waterfall

Thumbnail by PalmBchBill

weegy12
Rancho Cucamonga, CA

November 9, 2006
7:10 PM

Post #2898231

Oh, goody, somewhere to show off! Here's a few shots of mine.
My photos won't post.

This message was edited Nov 9, 2006 12:12 PM
weegy12
Rancho Cucamonga, CA

November 9, 2006
7:14 PM

Post #2898238

I have tried to post my photos and they won't post, keeps saying "it has been submitted" but they aren't here...hmmmmmmm.

Still trying, anyone know what could be wrong???

This message was edited Nov 9, 2006 12:21 PM

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

November 10, 2006
1:33 AM

Post #2899399

Are you clicking on the browse button and finding the picture you want to upload then hit open, preview and if everything is ok, hit the finish button. It's taking me almost a minute per picture.

Sheila_FW

Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 10, 2006
3:20 AM

Post #2899696

I thought I would try uploading a pic and see if I had any problems. Our pond looks pretty bad right now. The oak tree above it has made an abundance of acorns this year; you can barely walk without your feet sliding out from under you on the pave stones. This pic is from spring 2005, it looked much better then. No way am I taking pictures out there now!
No problems adding a pic. Try again weegy, select the pic hit open and give it time to upload, then hit preview. That way if it was the wrong one you can click back and change it.

This message was edited Nov 9, 2006 10:26 PM

Thumbnail by Sheila_FW

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

November 11, 2006
10:48 PM

Post #2905379

Shelia

What is that tiny leafed(if that's a word) plant you have growing in that contained area to the middle left & right of the waterfalls?

Sheila_FW

Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 12, 2006
12:57 AM

Post #2905877

The area isn't really contained, it is all rocks, but the Asian Jasmine ground cover that was growing behind the waterfall took over. We pulled it all out this last summer because it was creating root systems that were redirecting the water and causing too much evaporation.
This pic was in Oct 2004, we had just finished our flag stone area earlier that spring. Like I said it is one big mess now. We got out there this afternoon with the blower and the wet/dry vac and vacuumed up about a 30 gal trash can of acorns! It was impossible to walk. We have decided we are going to put down tarps or something next year to help pick them up. We don't want to cut down the tree because it provides the only shade for the pond in the hot afternoons.

Thumbnail by Sheila_FW

beckygardener
(Becky) in Sebastian, FL
(Zone 10a)

November 20, 2006
9:42 PM

Post #2932013

Sheila - I was checking out this thread. I've been reading and enjoying all the post and photos! I really like your pond and the flag stone around it. The area looks beautiful! The plants you chose look perfect! Great choices! Thanks for posting to inspire me!

Sheila_FW

Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 20, 2006
11:38 PM

Post #2932278

Thanks Becky. It changes every year however. We have had to move some of the larger plants because they block our view from the deck. Then the rocks we used for the waterfall are all on shore now until spring. We had a leak in the seal by the lip and it took moving them to find and repair it.
We love it good, bad, or ugly though!
terri_in_PA
Emmaus, PA
(Zone 6a)

November 20, 2006
11:47 PM

Post #2932302

This is my 'new' pond. The pond is just over a yr old, we put it in June 05, 2 months after we moved here.
Contingent upon the sale of my prior home, the new owners had to keep my fish till i got this pond set up for them..(yes! i had it in writing!!) I picked them up to bring them here in late June 05. All 15 of them made the 50 mile trip well.
I now have plenty of babies.. and everyone is fast asleep at the bottom of the pond..

The pond has been tweaked some since this picture was taken, July 06

Thumbnail by terri_in_PA

Sheila_FW

Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 21, 2006
2:30 AM

Post #2932733

That is so neat that you thought of doing that ahead of time. I hope that while they cared for your fish that they became converts too! Nice pond at the new place too.
waters_l_f
Warners, NY

November 30, 2006
11:26 AM

Post #2955411

Please inclyde us in the total, several ponds, stream with waterfalls and of course the sish, and plants, even Lotus in upstate NY!

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

November 30, 2006
2:21 PM

Post #2955818

Waters_I_F

Welcome aboard. Do you have any pictures? How deep is your pond? How do you winter it over?

I bet it's lovely
Jeri
KaperC
No. San Diego Co., CA
(Zone 10b)

December 27, 2006
7:45 PM

Post #3028689

DH has just started our pond - it's his project, but I have final say on the plants! It's meant to be a natural pond, no pump or waterfall (I know, I know...). He had one in England, but then he wasn't dealing with the sun exposure this one will have. We've visited a local nursery that has similar ponds and they use valesneria for oxygenating their ponds - has anyone used this? Their ponds are lovely so we are hoping to get some plants there and a little advice, too.

At any rate, we planted some native rushes a couple of days ago to christen it - we had a plant that was overgrown in another area, so we split some off. The slope on the left hand side of the pond will be planted in native roses to form a thicket. We want to keep things relatively low on the other side so we can see what's going on from the house.

Glad there are lots of ponders here at Dave's, we'll probably be crying for help soon!

Cheers,
Kathleen

Thumbnail by KaperC

Sheila_FW

Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 28, 2006
12:37 AM

Post #3029419

Looks like you have a great area and loads of room to begin the project. I would definately re-think the pump though. You can make your own filter to circulate it through for very little cost.
KaperC
No. San Diego Co., CA
(Zone 10b)

December 28, 2006
1:12 AM

Post #3029514

I keep trying, Sheila, but he's adamant. There is no power out there and he doesn't want to deal with it, plus he really does want it to be a still pond. I see trouble ahead, but I've been wrong before! :-) Definitely have a lot of room - we thought this would use some of it up.

Kathleen
waters_l_f
Warners, NY

December 29, 2006
12:48 PM

Post #3033006

You can count us in. We have a couple of ponds and a stream, all HOME-MADE so to speak. Done well so far with fish, plants including LOTUS, which seems strange here in the winter wasteland of Syracuse, NY.

Sheila_FW

Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 30, 2006
11:11 AM

Post #3035735

Welcome to Dave's Waters! Pictures when you can please. Lotus up there would be strange indeed. We did our own ponds also, but as we get older, we may need to get help down the road. Still glad we put them in.
BjsBloomers
Lewiston, CA
(Zone 7b)

December 30, 2006
4:56 PM

Post #3036510

I have several ponds on my property plus a 1/2 acre one just below my property that BLM owns but we have use of. One of my ponds & the largest is just a dirt bottom pond. We had a bog there & you couldn't mow or keep the grass looking decent, so a friend was practicing with a backhoe & came over & dug this bog out. It has 5 springs that keep it full year round. Here is a pic of it as we were digging, It took 2 days to dig, as the operator had to do it after his work day ended.
The springs did this much water in about 3 hours, this was the second day digging, It had completely filled in 5 days. Now over a year later it has lots of gold fish & 2 Koi in there. I do a pic of this last summer too.

Thumbnail by BjsBloomers

BjsBloomers
Lewiston, CA
(Zone 7b)

December 30, 2006

Post #3036561

Here is a pic of what it looked like this last summer. Only a few of the plants are actually "planted" in the bottom, the rest are in pots. I was told they would really get out of hand in the mud. There are some bullfrogs in there too, luckily they are smaller than the fish.

Thumbnail by BjsBloomers

BjsBloomers
Lewiston, CA
(Zone 7b)

December 30, 2006
5:24 PM

Post #3036591

I also have a small stream running on the outside edge of our property, I move it about in the summer. It runs in a small ditch that goes through my lower yard. I have a nice sized pool on the stream. It is one of my favorite spots to sit in the evening. Only water skippers in there the fish always head down stream, so stopped trying to have fish in there. Here's a pic of it before I enlarged it. It does fill with DG after a couple of years, so I have to dig it out. This last year I made it much bigger when I cleaned it out! I have a small Kubota tractor with a backhoe so it makes playing in the yard that much more fun! The lg plant is a Ligularia, there in a couple of Cardinal flower plants in there & some other natural water plants from our area . It is mostly shady so not a lot of plants like it there.There is a bench to the left above the Ligularia (out of sight) . My dog loves to chase water skippers in here.

Thumbnail by BjsBloomers

BjsBloomers
Lewiston, CA
(Zone 7b)

December 30, 2006
5:36 PM

Post #3036626

This is the "hole" that will become an actual Koi (or Trout) pond this spring. I have the liner & underlayment but the winter caught us before we were ready so the pond still sits as a hole!
A friend of mine said he'd put trout in it because it will be fed from our stream (fresh water) & they might do better than Koi would. The stream stays very cold all year. Trout are not as colorful as Koi but if they will do better, heck, I like fried trout! Not too sure about fried Koi! Yuck!
There are a few other water features on our property, just 1/10th under 4 acres, all are gravity flow from the stream, no pumps here! It makes it fun to play with, & all of the "moved" water returns eventually, to the large BLM pond (next Pic) below us, then back into the stream from there. I do have reparian rights to the stream. No one uses it below me tho, that is a shame as it is a nice clear stream. There is one pond about a mile down stream from me but they don't keep it up.

Thumbnail by BjsBloomers

BjsBloomers
Lewiston, CA
(Zone 7b)

December 30, 2006
5:49 PM

Post #3036655

Last is a pic of that BLM pond, it is so pretty down there. We have a gate through our fence to go there. For a while we even had a small rowboat in there. But removed it when some kids from the neighborhood below us kept playing with it. We kept it locked to a tree but they still took the oars & turned it over to fill with rain, so we just pulled it home. (I think that is the boat in this pic.)
There is a lot of water in our area, lots of springs. I use the stream to water my Veggie garden & some of it runs under ground, so some of the stuff I don't even have to water. Sort of hydroponic growing. I never watered my tomatoes, squash or peppers the whole summer. I water when I plant them & I have to water seeds until they get lg. enough to reach the underground water. Shallower stuff like herbs still need water which comes gravity flow through a hose planted up stream. Sort of a country water works park!
Love looking at all the ponds, this was a great thread to start. Bj

Thumbnail by BjsBloomers

brenb
Kankakee, IL
(Zone 5a)

March 9, 2007
6:43 PM

Post #3264781

I also have a pond. I tried the preformed ones with no luck. They just kept caving in and I jwanted one larger. We used a pond kit for our front yard with koi and goldfish and we keep the waterfall running all year. We put a small one in the backyard for flowers from a clearance flexible liner for under $50.00, put a little waterfall pump in there and it's almost as nice as the larger one. (Plans of course, to make it larger!) I believe there is no greater serenity after a hard day than the sound of the water and gracefulness of our fish. Our pond is all natuaral and our granddaughter sits on the edge and lets the fish nibble her toes!

Thumbnail by brenb

fleursdefouquet
Ferndale, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 9, 2007
6:59 PM

Post #3264823

This thread is so inspiring! Great resource - I'll be referring back to these gorgeous ponds often as I'm building my own. My courtyard re-design project is now officially under way and includes a small pond. This is what it looked like yesterday. It will include a weeping Japanese Maple and a small boulder. I'm tracking it's progress here http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/695809/. I welcome input from those more experienced.

Debra

Thumbnail by fleursdefouquet

dax080
Cedar Rapids, IA
(Zone 5a)

March 9, 2007
9:35 PM

Post #3265338

Hi, - I've been a DG member for a year, but overlooked this thread until today. I'm a fairly new, but passionate ponder - having built my ponds and stream in May, 2005. My brothers and I built it with 45 EPDM liner. The falls is 7' high and 4' wide, and was built with the soil taken from the bottom pond. The top pond is 8' by 10', and 2 feet deep. It spills into a stream that is 65' long and 5' wide, with 3 levels so that when the pump is turned off, each level is an independent unit. The stream turns at a 45 degree angle at about the half way mark, and is about 6" deep except for the water holding depression just under each falls. The bottom pond is 18' in diameter and has three levels, with the deepest at 4'. All together the feature equals 7,000 gallons. There are two pumps - one for the falls - 3,600 gph, and one for the bottom pond and streams - 5,000 gph. I have the largest savio skimmer/filter with two UV filters. I have about 60 goldfish (I plan to give away about 50 of them this year) and 8 koi, which are just one year old. The largest is about 1 foot long. I must say that I LOVE my pond - don't know what I ever did before - I could just sit and commune with nature forever, but, of course, I spend most of my time puttering, cleaning, and maintaining. Here are five pictures from last year -
First, the top falls in May 2006.

Thumbnail by dax080

dax080
Cedar Rapids, IA
(Zone 5a)

March 9, 2007
9:36 PM

Post #3265347

The top stream in late September -

Thumbnail by dax080

dax080
Cedar Rapids, IA
(Zone 5a)

March 9, 2007
9:38 PM

Post #3265349

The mid-stream to the bridge, same date -

Thumbnail by dax080

brenb
Kankakee, IL
(Zone 5a)

March 9, 2007
9:39 PM

Post #3265361

Wow! That is really beautiful! Nice job!
dax080
Cedar Rapids, IA
(Zone 5a)

March 9, 2007
9:39 PM

Post #3265366

The bottom stream from bridge, same date -

Thumbnail by dax080

dax080
Cedar Rapids, IA
(Zone 5a)

March 9, 2007
9:41 PM

Post #3265373

Looking in the opposite direction, the bottom stream and bottom pond on Sept. 4, 2006 -

Thumbnail by dax080

dax080
Cedar Rapids, IA
(Zone 5a)

March 9, 2007
9:43 PM

Post #3265387

And finally, a pic of the fish in Sept. in the bottom pond. I will be moving the goldfish to the top pond this year, and keeping the Koi in the bottom pond. - Thanks for letting me share - Dax

Thumbnail by dax080

fleursdefouquet
Ferndale, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 9, 2007
10:02 PM

Post #3265469

That is your first pond? You were certainly ambitious - and incredibly successful. How long did it take you to build it?

Debra
dax080
Cedar Rapids, IA
(Zone 5a)

March 10, 2007
1:41 PM

Post #3267470

Hi debra and brenb - Thanks for the kudos, I'll send them along to my brothers also. Both of them have worked in some type of construction for years and so in May, 2005, they both came for one week with all the equipment, and we put it together. I had done all the planning and had all the materials ready, and they brought the back hoe, skid loader, and construction knowledge. As my brother Jon, said, when I asked him about leakage, etc. - "All you need to know is that water always runs down hill, so just overlay the liner from the bottom up so there's no obstacles that make it go backwards." They also were the ones that made me put carpeting under and OVER the liner to protect it and make sure nothing could pierce it. Consequently, I thank them that I've never had a leak or puncture. Can you imagine how tough it would be locate it in all those sqare feet? A nightmare! Anyway, here they are relaxing after a day of hard work. I then built the gardens (and continue to) around the feature - I'm still puttering constantly, of course. Dax

Thumbnail by dax080

dax080
Cedar Rapids, IA
(Zone 5a)

March 10, 2007
1:45 PM

Post #3267488

Here's a view of the streams with the liner in, and the carpeting laid. The top stream and bog has the bottom pebbles in place.

Thumbnail by dax080

fleursdefouquet
Ferndale, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 10, 2007
2:12 PM

Post #3267594

That's incredible. Such beautiful, mature trees. Did the pond stress your trees any? Carpet below and above? I plan to carpet under my liner, but had not thought of carpeting on top of it. Do you just lay the carpet and cover with stone? Does the carpet not deteriorate in the water? It sounds like you did it right and should be able to enjoy your project for many years to come. I bet your neighbors tend to wander over and enjoy it, too? LOL!

Debra
dax080
Cedar Rapids, IA
(Zone 5a)

March 10, 2007
10:30 PM

Post #3268768

Yes, that is true - we have regular visitors - from all around - and I enjoy it! Because it's a wildlife friendly pond, it has a walk down beach on one side. The best compliment I have ever received was from a mom whose 4 year old waded in with me and I showed him how to feed the fish. He was overjoyed - that was last summer and she told me he still talks about that neat place he went to where the fish nibbled at his toes.

I learned from my brother (in construction, he has had to dig around MANY trees) that if the trees are mature, as long as you don't disturb about 2/3 of the roots, they will adjust pretty easily. And that's happened at least twice in my beds where I needed to add some hardscape (I've got lots of mature trees). The trees you see are still very healthy.
I know lots of folks are leery about disturbing roots, but at least for lindens and oaks, they handle it well.

Also, yes, I put down the carpet, and then the rocks/pebbles directly on top. In the bottoms of the ponds, I don't have as many pebbles on the top of the carpet. My brother estimated that the carpeting would take about 10 years to gradually decompose, except that the pond naturally protects it with a coating of algae, sludge, etc. I was surprised that in looking at the bottom of the pond, after about 2 months you couldn't distinguish that the carpet was there (I did use fragments that were gray/black). It is clearly the best way to protect it from being punctured, and I can slog around cleaning etc. with no fear. I'm glad for my bro since NONE of the books I read about it talked about having that top layer, but when you think about it, it makes alot of sense - Dax
fleursdefouquet
Ferndale, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 11, 2007
1:59 AM

Post #3269424

Maybe your brother should author a book about pond building. Sounds like he knows what he's talking about. Thanks again for sharing the great photos.

Debra

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

March 16, 2007

Post #3286584

Dax080 you pond is great!!! Thanks for sharing your photos. Your plantings are bright and refreshing. That chair is so inviting. Makes you want to just linger a little bit longer.

Jeri
judycooksey
Pocahontas, TN
(Zone 7b)

March 21, 2007
3:22 PM

Post #3305765

WOW what a thread and it's really gotten long.

Judy
hart
Shenandoah Valley, VA

March 26, 2007
12:45 AM

Post #3320788

We have two ponds - one larger one with fish and a smaller one above with a waterfall above. Here's a bullfrog sitting in the waterfall.

Thumbnail by hart

hart
Shenandoah Valley, VA

March 26, 2007
12:46 AM

Post #3320792

And here's the fish a couple of years ago.

Thumbnail by hart

weedsgalore
Tampa, FL

March 26, 2007
8:25 PM

Post #3323390

here are my teeny ponds..2 preformed Lowe's specials...they have been there about 6 years now..i once had electricity but it conked out...now they have all natural pond weeds, tons of swordtails, a blue paradise fish...legions of frogs...and one very tame Southern water snake, that helps to keep the fish population down! I am pleased with the small size as i can personally keep an eye on plants, fish, snake, whatever! I do have to top up the ponds everyother week..(with dechlorinated water) All the water plants must be yanked occasionally as they take over the space! I get alot of pleasure and serenity from our hobby! thanks, sue

Thumbnail by weedsgalore

weedsgalore
Tampa, FL

March 26, 2007
8:31 PM

Post #3323409

Here is the other one...there is a bog garden in the middle..these are more "water garden" than ponds..though both have tons of little fish! sue

Thumbnail by weedsgalore

rutholive
Tonasket, WA
(Zone 5a)

March 27, 2007
11:09 AM

Post #3325371

The smaller of my two connected ponds has been drained and cleaned because of the Western Toads, They are talking/croaking loudly every evening . Mating and getting ready to lay eggs. As soon as the weather is warm enough we will clean the larger pool and repot the waterlilies. The fish think I should feed them every time they see me but the water isn't very warm.

Here is a picture from last summer.

Donna

Thumbnail by rutholive

lenaky
Paint Lick, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 3, 2007

Post #3350548

I'm in but my pond is a major work in progress :)

Sheila_FW

Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 4, 2007
12:23 AM

Post #3353107

We have had ours for five years and it is still work in progress! LOL!
tortoisekeeper
Mobile, AL
(Zone 8b)

April 4, 2007
1:28 PM

Post #3354720

I just finished setting up my new pond. It is driving me crazy not to be able to put much in it. I had a large pond in Louisiana and it was full of everything you could think of. I am renting now so could not dig a hole. This one isn't bad and will look much better when I get some more plants around it.

Thumbnail by tortoisekeeper

baagrant
Rock Hill, SC
(Zone 7b)

April 4, 2007
9:41 PM

Post #3356562

My pool is in this forum as I posted "On the shady side of the fish pool". But as I am a ponder, and have been for 15 or more years, figured I should add myself to this thread. Our pond has been in place since the early 1990s. It is actually the exhaust water from our water to air heat pump. We thought a fish pool would be better than just dumping water into the ditch out back. So Doug got out his trusty shovel. We had collected lots of rock on weekend trips above Clemson, SC while we were in school and afterwards. When we moved, we borrowed a stake body truck and our rocks came with us. We just did get the pool dug in time, those large edge stones are way beyond us now. We've since purchased flagstones and laid walkways, a sitting area, etc.

Thumbnail by baagrant

rutholive
Tonasket, WA
(Zone 5a)

April 5, 2007
10:25 AM

Post #3357914

baagrant, very attractive pond. Is the bright green at lower left a kind of moss. Here in my harsh climate area, everything somewhat tender either dies over winter or has to be taken inside. In fact it is still too cold to put anything tender outside.

Donna
susan505
Roswell, NM
(Zone 6a)

August 15, 2007
4:46 AM

Post #3858414

Hi new to this site. I have a pond with fish sort of. My husband told some of the elderly ladies from my garden club that I would adopt their fish when they decided to cover up their hugh pond. So one sat morning they called and we scrambled around trying to dig the hole, find the old water tank I was going to throw away because the bottom was out of it and couldn't water animals with it any more and then go get the fish and all the pumps and stuff before it got to hot. They did give us a big square pond to carry them in. All the time he was telling me its just a few fish, how many could they have. I wound up with 20 of vering sizes, I now have koy, shubumkin, butterfly gold fish and somen I don't know what they are and now they are having more. I'm giving some away tomorrow to a friend because my small take won't hold any more. I need help with getting the water to stay clear. I don't think we are pumping enough volume threw the filter. I'll try and get a picture of my not real fancy fish tank as my husband calls it. And my kids make fun of it because I had to put up a fence to keep the fish in and the dogs out and I built a shade over it. I am trying to start some plants around it and have water plants in the smaller ponds. I love seeing everyones that are all nice and designed. I may try some of the ideas around mine.
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

August 15, 2007
1:48 PM

Post #3859105

Welcome Susan505! We've all gone through trial and error with our ponds, so feel free to ask or discuss anything. Most times someone can answer something for you ahead of time and save you a lot of time and trouble before you take your next step. Post a picture, we'd love to see it!
:)
bluesmaven
Fort Worth, TX

August 16, 2007
3:16 PM

Post #3863439

I'm a wanna-be ponder! My boyfriend and I are going to build a pond in the backyard but we are trying to get all the info we can before we jump in.
shihtzumom
Pearisburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

August 16, 2007
7:19 PM

Post #3864349

My 45 ft stream, waterfall, and pondless basin - holds about 500 gallons and sounds wonderful!!! Very easy to maintain.

Thumbnail by shihtzumom

shihtzumom
Pearisburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

August 16, 2007
7:19 PM

Post #3864352

stream

Thumbnail by shihtzumom

shihtzumom
Pearisburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

August 16, 2007
7:20 PM

Post #3864357

This was early in the year. The plants are huge around the stream and pond. Lots more planted too.

Thumbnail by shihtzumom

shihtzumom
Pearisburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

August 16, 2007
7:20 PM

Post #3864359

the waterfall

Thumbnail by shihtzumom

dylancgc
Mount Vernon, MO
(Zone 6b)

August 17, 2007
9:26 PM

Post #3868660

I have a hand dug 9000 gal pond. I also put in 2 more lotus ponds this year about 100 gallon each. My gardens are still a work in progress. I have had the pond about 3 years now and I love it. It took us from 7-4 until 10-4 to dig the pond. Yes, all the same year. I have about 16 Koi of various sizes & 4 goldfish.

Dax - Like you I tried to keep Koi in the bottom pond and the goldfish up above, didn't work. The goldfish swam down stream, the ones that didn't get hung up in the waterfall rocks anyway. That also won't keep their eggs from washing down stream.

I'll find some pics to post.
Peggy
kpoore2001
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

September 13, 2007
3:29 PM

Post #3970484

I have had a small pond for about two years with plans to enlarge it some.
Karen
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

September 13, 2007
5:24 PM

Post #3970903

dylancgc...I'm adding my 3rd small pond, and hand digging all the way...Wonder what makes me do it again? After pond #2 my arms felt like rubber and my back felt like a truck hit me...
I guess I just love sitting on the deck watching the fish once I've finished !

Sheila_FW

Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 14, 2007
1:49 AM

Post #3972817

Becareful with all that digging and rock lifting. Three ponds and putting in a stone retaining walls did me in. I had to have back surgery twice within a year. I thought I was invincible!
dylancgc
Mount Vernon, MO
(Zone 6b)

September 14, 2007
5:56 PM

Post #3975103

We all find out we are not invincible at some point.

I don't know that I ever want to undertake digging ours by hand again. The 2 small lotus ponds I dug but they aren't that big. I love my pond and one of these days I am going to be done with the gardens and can actually sit out by the pond and enjoy my pond and fish. Now whenever I sit down I think of something I should be doing and get up to do it. I have a new Lotus this year so now I will need a different pond next year for it. The work never ceases, does it.
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

September 14, 2007
10:16 PM

Post #3975916

I'm in a subdivision, so the houses are too close together on the sides to allow any equipment back to dig...so I'm afraid everything I do is by hand. BUT, even so, this is definitely my last one! I'll stick to smaller holes from now on, to plant trees and bushes in! At least I have somewhere to dump the dirt this time, on my other project area where I need level land to put another patio.

missingrosie
Hillsborough, NC

September 15, 2007
10:27 PM

Post #3979111

Shihtzumom
Hi. Could you tell me where your pump /vault is is located? I see wire near the bog basin is it somewhere in there ? I have to disguise my piping leading from the pump and now I wonder if I have to keep it in the bog. How deep is the bog that you have. I think ours must be at least 5 or 6 feet --needed enough volume to support the stream and evaporation, etc. (a long story) but to make it shorter I have to hide the PVC pipe ..which would be made easier depending on where the pump has to live. ~Dorothy
gloriag
Floyd, VA
(Zone 6b)

October 7, 2007
2:31 AM

Post #4056416

I am almost ready to close on a house with a spring fed mud bottom pond. It already has white water l ilies, wild blue asters, wild black eyed susans,goldenrod, thistle, and perhaps a few other things I missed. It also has a thin perimerter of poison ivy.

This week I went down and planted quite a few LA and Japanese iris. These are things which I already have that I can add to the garden perimeter around the pond which must be about 20' in diameter or possibly more: Siberian iris, primrose, bearded iris, many daylilies, more La and Japanese iris, Royal fern, a purple hardy hibiscus, campanula lactifolia, azaleas, rhodendron, adenophora, sweet william, shastas, knock out red roses, and various columbines, bee balm and purple phystogia. I know all of these won't be perfect for a pond perimeter.

I am starting loads of plants through winter sowing too. Millers' crimson primrose, several types of ligularia, astilbe, trumpet lilies and asian lilies (from seed to bloom in 2009), and swamp gentian.

But I need to get more watery plants like horsetail reeds, cardinal flower,

I would like to add decorative rhubarb, pickerel weed, elephant ears, hostas of various kinds, iron weed, joe pye weed, etc.

I really don't plan to use all the above because I know it would look like a crazy quilt. Any suggestions?

The pond is inhabited by lots of frogs and supposedly goldfish. It is murky, and I haven't seen the fish.
kelboindy
Georgetown, IN
(Zone 6a)

October 8, 2007
8:30 AM

Post #4060118

I just built my pond this past summer, but I dont have a pump and filter yet. I discovered a lot of froggies in there and I am afraid to bother them. I will do the filter next spring. Then I will start on my pond plants and fishys too.

Thumbnail by kelboindy

bbrookrd
Nantucket, MA
(Zone 7a)

October 22, 2007
7:42 PM

Post #4111367

I am in the construction phase of a waterfall and a pond-less stream. I did the major moving of existing plants and the digging last week, including the huge hole for the vault. I thought I would find China. I have my supply of large field stones at the ready, having taken down a wall that we built years ago and moved those stones to the west side of our house where the stream is being built. I no longer needed that wall to anchor the east side garden as that garden had long since grown beyond that wall. Funny how that happens! I will order the 3 tons of 1" to 2" size gravel for delivery next week.

I pick up the pump (pro-line 4800) , a vault, water fall (Atlantic Water-filter falls 2500) and all the liners and various sealants, hose etc on Thursday from a nice garden center (Country Garden) in Hyannis. The two pond guys have been most helpful, but my real inspiration has been shihtzumom and Songsofjoy from DG. Thank you.

So I should go from dirt to rock and running water very soon after I return to the Island on Monday. I won't plant along it until spring and I will turn it off the pump and winterize it for the winter. But I should be able to hear the water from early spring until late fall. I will post pictures if it is worthy. Patti
missingrosie
Hillsborough, NC

October 22, 2007
9:05 PM

Post #4111638

Hi Patti
Good Luck with your pond. We have a pondless stream also. We really enjoy it alot --the sounds of the water over the falls and 'plopping' of the skittish frogs. We did have to double the size of the gravel bog after it was built -- although like you I thought it was huge to begin with. We had water loss and the pump kept shutting down whenever loss dropped the reservoir too low. (Every 3 weeks or so.) The stream is long going from one side of the front of the house to the other (we have a large flagstone bridging the stream so we can walk out of the house and over the stream). The stream is wide (2 feet - 3 feet in places) and is fairly deep as streams go. It seemed that the volume of water contained in the stream when it is running and flowing over the 3 falls caused too much evaporation, and the gravel bog although I think it originally was 6 feet deep and perhaps ten feet wide (guessing) wasn't enough of a reservoir to support the streams water needs (the bog was filled entirely with gravel so that reduced the volume of water it could hold.) So the bog went double its size and a little deeper and the bottom was filled with the large bore black plastic tubing and the top of the tubing was covered with a barrier cloth (for coverage) and then the cloth was topped with river rock. By placing the tubing in the bog (this was like a drip tubing so water actually flows through it) it allowed more volume for water than filling the bog entirely with gravel. Anyway, I thought I'd tell you this because the landscaper who has been doing this for many many years (I looked at a great many of his installations) spent a great deal of time looking for a leak..relined the entire system once...etc. etc. before he consulted others in the business who told him it was likely the reservoir size and the stream size. It was very costly for him. In addition to the bog being dug wider/deeper we put more large sized stone along the stream sides (effectively 'narrowing' the stream) to take up space that water would normally have to fill. This diverted more water the reservoir and less to the stream. I'm sure you have got it all figured out already but I figured it can't hurt to tell you about my situation just in case. Enjoy your stream ! (send photos) Dorothy
bbrookrd
Nantucket, MA
(Zone 7a)

October 22, 2007
9:42 PM

Post #4111792

Dorothy, I am not having a gravel bog but rather a purchased plastic vault that will sit in a hole that will be surrounded by gravel and topped with a large stone for access. At least that is what I think! Here is their song and dance.
Quoting:# The Pro 4800 Pump Vault is a sturdy, large capacity housing used in self contained waterfalls and streams.
# will accommodate submersible pumps up to 5000 GPH.
# Acts as a large pre-filter to protect submersible pumps intake
from getting clogged with gravel and debris.
# Built of rugged, weather resistant polyethylene plastic
# Can be safely buried below grade
# Reinforced Lid withstands the weight of gravel and stones
# Works great for waterfalls and streams
# Port for mounting auto-fill valve
# Unit dimensions: 23"L x 23"W x 25"H

So I am confused and just plain ignorant about your system. But I will read more tonight to see if I am doing something that will be a problem. I expect to replenish evaporated water as needed and just hope I don't have a leak. It has a port for refilling when needed, just hope it isn't constant. But I sure don't want to have a pump burn out. How long is your stream and is it in full sun? I do appreciate your thoughts about potential problems. I may be digging a shallow stream that is deep enough to drown me in trouble. But I so want a water feature in my dell. Thanks again. Patti
missingrosie
Hillsborough, NC

October 23, 2007
12:07 AM

Post #4112359

Hi Patti
I have the pump vault but my vault didn't come with a reinforced top as yours did. Instead we cover it with a large flagstone. I lift the flagstone when I need pump access to see how much water is above the pump (the level) because to run, the pump needs to be completely submerged. In the pump vault sits the submersible pump (below grade). The vault containing the pump sits in a huge hole (very wide and deep). That hole is filled with gravel with a layer of river rock on top (for looks) The river rock appears dry on the top of the stone, but midway towards the bottom, the river rock is sitting in 'shallow' water (the bog). Plants can grow in this. Water flows from the top of the stream down the length of the stream and over the waterfalls...into the big hole that the pump vault sits in. The pump action pulls water from the hole (the reservoir) into the vault (the vault is constructed so that it can filter small stone/debris) as water is being pulled by the pump. So to follow the flow: The water flows down the stream over the waterfalls >>water fills the hole>>>the pump pulls the water from the hole into the vault and recirculates it back up to the top of the stream. So the water goes round and round ;0 ) We opted not to have the auto fill valve (as the water evaporates...the valve is triggered and allows water to fill from your house or well) because we are having a really significant drought and did not want to overtax the well. So we fill the stream as needed. BEFORE we enlarged the bog (the hole) we had to fill it every three weeks or the pump would shut down as the water level in the bog/hole fell... since making it bigger we had to top it off once (after 2.5 months). That is our experience thus far because as I said it has not rained at all and it has been a hot summer. I expect we will be filling less as it rains more and the temp cools. What I was saying in my previous post is that the hole was undersized (but it looked huge when it was dug) for the 1. length of the stream...2. width/depth of the sidewalls of the stream and 3. three waterfalls (lots of evaporation at the waterfalls). I was suggesting that you seek information to make sure your reservoir (bog/hole) is big enough to support your stream. If not you will be filling it more than you will like. It's better to size it correctly now - much harder later!

This message was edited Oct 22, 2007 8:16 PM
bbrookrd
Nantucket, MA
(Zone 7a)

October 23, 2007
12:53 AM

Post #4112583

missingrosie, Great information. I have so much to learn. Digging that hole was an effort for this old gal. So I will check about the size, I have room for as large a hole as needed, just need the energy to dig it. It sounds like I should enlarge it before I do another thing. Thanks, Patti
missingrosie
Hillsborough, NC

October 23, 2007
2:44 AM

Post #4113116

>>>It sounds like I should enlarge it before I do another thing. Thanks, Patti
bbrookrd
Nantucket, MA
(Zone 7a)

November 7, 2007
12:52 AM

Post #4165611

I am getting close to having most of the work done on my pond less stream. It sounds good, but looks a little bare, but I am going to plant a huge number of spring bulbs around it next week which will give me hope of good things to come. The whole area around the new stream that we call " The Dell" had large plantings of astilbe, hosta, iris, etc that I hope will come back after all my stomping about on them for the last couple of weeks. I need to install underwater lighting and foam the falls, plus lots of rock adjustments. Many birds have been loving it too. Patti

Thumbnail by bbrookrd

missingrosie
Hillsborough, NC

November 7, 2007
2:18 AM

Post #4166019

Hi Patti
It is beautiful!! You sure did a great job. Enjoy! I hope your plants come back, but if not --you will fill the area in .You won't be able to help it! I just looked at my last post of Oct 22nd... I wrote it and I sent it and didn't look at it afterwards. . But, none of it 'stuck!' Sometimes that happens but I am not sure why. A little too late now to correct it, but after I cut and pasted your comment, I said ..."no, don't enlarge it, or change the design based on my experiences, just ask a landscape nursery or other expert for some advice just to be sure your reservoir is large enough. It is not fun to go back to correct it if it is undersized. Anyway, I am sure it will turn out ok. It sure looks great.
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

November 23, 2007
9:01 PM

Post #4222917

My babies at feeding time (they're very much like Pavlov's Dogs when they see me walk on the deck!)

Thumbnail by MerryMary

bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

June 1, 2011
11:55 AM

Post #8601741

bump for new ponders!!
sunnyg
San Francisco Bay Ar, CA
(Zone 9b)

June 1, 2011
12:12 PM

Post #8601789

Great inspiration! I love looking at pond pics! We just finished redoing our tiny "waterfall," and are enjoying it immensely.
bbrookrd
Nantucket, MA
(Zone 7a)

June 1, 2011
12:39 PM

Post #8601819

Update, some 2011 shots. Our endless stream still making us smile. No pond yet, but we have expanded the area just beyond the end of the stream and there is a great spot now for one. Patti

Thumbnail by bbrookrd

bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

June 1, 2011
1:26 PM

Post #8601916

I love the way you posted the pictures. i do not have the talent to post like that!! Belle
bbrookrd
Nantucket, MA
(Zone 7a)

June 1, 2011
2:07 PM

Post #8602017

bellieg, sure you do. I use a free program from Google that has a collage feature which is way easy to use with any photos. It is just a tad confusing when first getting started, but than it is simple. So if you download photos onto your computer, you can do all kinds of collages as there are many styles to chose from. I learned about Picasa from seeing someone Else's on DG and now I use the program for all my photo files and editing too, not just for collages. I also download albums too. Here is an album about the whole process of building the stream. I also wrote an article for the local paper about building it. And they paid me! Patti

[HYPERLINK@picasaweb.google.com]

Here is the link to get the free download for Picasa

http://picasa.google.com/
dahos77
Aiea, HI
(Zone 11)

June 8, 2011
11:12 AM

Post #8618095

I'm not a ponder, but a container gardener... I have about 600 gallons total. I grow mostly tropical water lilies. After seeing what picasa could do, I figured I'd try it out. Here's the result of some of my random photos.

Thumbnail by dahos77

bbrookrd
Nantucket, MA
(Zone 7a)

June 8, 2011

Post #8618777

dahos77, nice collection and shots. Picasa is a good tool, but you gotta have the photo's and you certainly do. Thanks for sharing. Patti
dahos77
Aiea, HI
(Zone 11)

June 8, 2011
5:15 PM

Post #8618779

Not a problem. I'll try and search through my archives and see if I can come up with a better one. I have a lot of photos and a lot of water lilies :P
realsis

June 17, 2011
12:10 PM

Post #8636613

Hi! I'm a ponder with a 2250 gallon koi pond in which I raise my koi. I have another small 100 gallon plastic preform pond for a lotus plant, then I have another lotus bog pond about 300~400 gallons! So I have three ponds total. I don't grow my lotus with my koi. Only my water lillys. They are in floating baskets and my koi usually do not bother them. I have two lotus growing in the preform plastic pond and about 17 lotus growing in my bog. So yes I'm definately a ponder!h
realsis

June 19, 2011
9:07 AM

Post #8640127

Hi. i have a 2250 gallon koi pond. i also have two other smaller ponds dedicated to plants. yes im a ponder! i live in california in zone 9a. a very warm desert area. i love raising my koi and love being a ponder!

Thumbnail by realsis

bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

August 16, 2013
2:47 PM

Post #9632721

bump for a friend
bbrookrd
Nantucket, MA
(Zone 7a)

August 16, 2013
3:18 PM

Post #9632745

Updated endless stream. This spring we dug out the falls as there was a slow leak in the coupling from it to the hose. We decided that the original falls was made out of a very flimsy weight of plastic compared with newer ones so we replaced it. DH had to dig up the whole hose to make sure it was not leaking too. But is was a relatively simple project as I mostly just pointed and approved where DH put the stones. Then I replanted it and it has not leaked any since we did the work. We love it, the birds love it as do our dogs. No pond yet. Patti

Thumbnail by bbrookrd

MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

August 16, 2013
4:55 PM

Post #9632807

I LOVE seeing everyone's pictures!
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 20, 2013

Post #9636676

It's taken me about 3 hrs. to make it through all these posts. Couldn't help but notice no 2 ponds are alike. What a fabulous variety. Glad I'm not alone at being a ponding nut.
There is a seperate thread labeled new pond in progress and it has pics. of latest pond we dug 1 year ago July. Also I think some of my old pond. Koi live in both of them.

Here in Fl. they are a challenge to keep algae free but I still enjoy them and the fish.

Happy ponding to all
Bonnie of BonnieGardens

Corsetiere

Corsetiere
Columbus, OH

April 7, 2014
8:26 AM

Post #9806871

Hi! I am new here!

Here's an older photo of my pond when we first bought our house. I lost a lot of more recent photos due to a technology problem but I will be sure to take a lot more photos this year. We have come so far with cleaning up the pond and went through some real struggles figuring out filtration and the water fall. Here is a blog post in which I talk about some of the work we have done...

http://gildedorchid.com/water-gardening/a-short-history-of-my-pond/

Corsetiere

Corsetiere
Columbus, OH

April 7, 2014
8:27 AM

Post #9806873

oops! It didn't atttach the image. Let's try again!

Thumbnail by Corsetiere

missingrosie
Hillsborough, NC

April 7, 2014
4:31 PM

Post #9807242

Very nice. Looking forward to your photos. I had to restart my IPAD and neglected to back up. All was lost too.😪. You can see the winter has been hard on the stream and landscape. The ice storm(s) made a mess and no time for the water feature. I have managed to clean up the water some.

This message was edited Apr 7, 2014 7:36 PM

Thumbnail by missingrosie   Thumbnail by missingrosie   Thumbnail by missingrosie   Thumbnail by missingrosie   Thumbnail by missingrosie
Click an image for an enlarged view.

Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

April 7, 2014
4:51 PM

Post #9807265

I love both of your ponds.
missingrosie
Hillsborough, NC

April 7, 2014
6:21 PM

Post #9807343

Thanks Carolyn, sure appreciate you saying that because I am not feeling real good about the water feature right now and not feeling terribly energetic with regard to cleaning and replanting it. I think I am getting too old to take care of it and the garden!! I am glad its 'bones' don't change from year to year or need any work --this winter sure was rough. I don't have fish and so I got an algaecide for pools and it cleaned it up s lot.

Corsetiere

Corsetiere
Columbus, OH

April 7, 2014
7:05 PM

Post #9807379

Missingrosie, yours looks great! Yeah I lost some when I dropped my old camera on the sidewalk (smart, huh?) and another batch on my phone when I tried to back it up with out success. lol!

And thanks, Carolyn22!
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

April 8, 2014
5:13 AM

Post #9807553

Rosie - what about perennials so that you don't have to keep planting around your pond? My husband is getting to that point, where it is more difficult for him to do the work to open or shut down the pond. I have been doing it for the last couple of years.

Corsetiere - I am still suffering the after effects of my phone going swimming in my pond. I just ordered a new phone on amazon. I have this messaging phone that my husband had and it is the most frustrating thing. Anyway, I had a number of photos on the old phone.

Corsetiere

Corsetiere
Columbus, OH

April 8, 2014
6:56 AM

Post #9807632

That's the worst, Carolyn! It's like time slows down as the phone falls towards the water. lol
missingrosie
Hillsborough, NC

April 8, 2014
7:06 AM

Post #9807639

I was using a net to clean out just over that stone bridge when I saw something odd at the bottom...it was a handset from the phone. It had to be there for months -- that is how long one of the bases was missing its counterpart! I clip the handset to me when I am in the garden..it must have dropped in...or that rotten granddaughter of mine could have been toddling around with it. She loves the buttons. I dried it out and the darn thing WORKED.

Carolyn, I do have perennials. The sticks and debris from the peony still attached are a wreck, all the old fronds from the fern...the sticks from the birch tree that normally leaves a ton on the ground, but left two tons from the ice... The net covering the streamway that is speared with birch trash... The weeds..(but the creeping jenny ground cover is doing nicely to cover things up) -and all the oak trash... I am in the middle of the woods...leaf debris everyehere. My husband had prostate surgery and he thinks he is an invalid. I just retired and so that means I have totally free time! Ha! He is going to find himself as they say 'swimming with the fishes' (but I only have frogs...and they bring snakes!)

This message was edited Apr 8, 2014 3:54 PM
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

April 8, 2014
8:18 AM

Post #9807685

Cort - The phones do go in slow motion don't they? Same thing when you find yourself falling - definitely slow motion.

Rosie - my husband doesn't do much anymore either. He has a heart probelm and has decided that means he can do very little. The doctor told him to go back to his normal activiites as soon as possible, but that hasn't happened. At this point in time, I would seriously doubt it will.
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 8, 2014
1:33 PM

Post #9807885

Enjoyed seeing all the ponds and streams. Such a variety.

Been a ponder for about 6 years now. It's a lot of work but I still enjoy the fish.

Both our ponds were all built by ourselves and family help. We have skimmers, UV's and waterfalls on both ponds. Sometimes they have clear water and sometimes not but I just add natural resources to clear them up. I use pondzyme, preform-C when needed, microblift PL and I don't get rattled anymore when they turn brown. They are both under an oak tree which drops MANY leaves and then oak bloom into them. Before next season plan to have a large net stapled to boards in the shape that will fit both ponds and help keep leaves and junk out.

Have lost many fish over the years to various problems but keep on keeping on.

Still have my 3 originals in old pond. Larger pond has all fish over 2 feet which we just bought that size at a price we couldn't turn down. Lost 3 of them but still have 8 living.

Happy ponding all.
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 8, 2014
3:30 PM

Post #9807950

Had to hunt some pictures:
1. Larger pond home for the large fish. None are under 2 feet 3,000 gals
2. Old pond home of my smaller fish and originals about 1,400 gals.
3. Fish in older pond has original 3 I started out with at 5" now almost 6 years old
4. Kumquart largest in the larger pond. He is well over 2 feet and extremely calm.

Thumbnail by BonnieGardens   Thumbnail by BonnieGardens   Thumbnail by BonnieGardens   Thumbnail by BonnieGardens   

missingrosie
Hillsborough, NC

April 8, 2014
8:47 PM

Post #9808143

Bonnie - thank you! I have no explanation about why I have never thought about stapling netting onto boards! Every year I purchase a ton of netting ( $$$ netting at first but as time went by -- bought plastic bird netting meant for shrubs) but spend 2 hrs staking it down. I have a configuration in the stream and then the pond area that would lend itself to the board idea. Do you use two boards and then roll up when not in use or a more fixed 4 board shape? what weight wood do you use? Does it stay put or do you have to set rocks on it? Again - thanks so much.
jeanniejayne
Smyrna, DE

April 8, 2014
8:51 PM

Post #9808145

We live in mid-Delaware, and have a 900 gallon fish pond with about 13 large goldfish, some native water lillies, mini cattails, and arrow-leaf. Lost my lotus, but would like to replace them. By summer most of the water is covered in greenery. Good thing, because the blue heron loves to visit. We have many leopard frogs that are now in the process of moving in, a large colony of trap-door snails and perhaps a few of the dozen fresh-water mussels I bought from E-bay a few years back are still among the living.

I love that pond! Making a foray out after dark on a warm breezy summer evening, flashlight and bottle of cold a Dog Fish Head IPA 90 in hand, to take up a chair and spend an hour spying on the goings-on below is my idea of heaven.

Hubby and I designed and built a large bio-filter that pulls the water about 2 feet up into it, runs it through 4" of gravel then 4" of sand to trickle back down into the pond.

We are now in the market for a new filter.

Can anyone recommend a good one? How many changes per hour? Pre-filter needed? Advice gratefully accepted!

BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 9, 2014
5:21 AM

Post #9808289

Missingrosie,
Tried bird netting, bricked it down all around. sagged into pond even with beach ball in center to hold it up. Fish got tangled when trying to eat and it didn't keep my oak leaves out. So took it off and netted leaves out 3 times a day.
I'm going to get some fine mesh net or bridal illusion (what brides wear on their heads) deer netting is finer mesh also. I've got some 2X2 boards in my garden shed so they will be what I will staple to. They are 10 feet long so 2 placed on each side would run length of large pond. Netting has to be taught going across pond. Big rock in center of ea. board meeting should hold them firmly. I can sew anything together if needed as I have all industrial sewing machines in my drapery workroom. I'm certainly not going through with the leaf and blossom drop what I went through this year. It also makes for a lot of sludge on the bottom. Got in the pond yesterday and tried to scoop muck out and it broke my dip net frame. My idea may sound way out but I think it will work and when not needed I can roll it up on both boards fold it in half and store in my garden shed until next season. My smaller pond is round about 13 feet so I'll have to use probably pvc pipe heated and bent to the shape and whip stitch netting on by hand with outdoor thread. Think hula hoop only larger. I use hula hoops to put floating plants in to keep them out of skimmer. Had bad experience that taught me that lesson. To them I hand stitched leftover screen like you see on windows. Works well. Our pumps are down inside skimmers so have to keep that from getting junk inside and clogging pumps. We also screwed hardware cloth on face plates of both skimmers to keep fish out and plant material from floating in. Ponds are enjoyable but they do present their own problems which we have to think of some way to solve. Hope this helps someone.
Bonnie Davis
PS there is another Bonnie on here so now you know which one I am. LOL
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

April 9, 2014
8:02 AM

Post #9808402

Jeannie

I would buy a pump that will turn over the volume of your pond in an hour. This should give you the filtration you need. I have a similar set up with the pea gravel cleaning the water and it works very well for us.

Do you have a uv light?

missingrosie
Hillsborough, NC

April 9, 2014
7:59 PM

Post #9808852

bird netting won't 'brick down, well - but it stakes down ( tent stakes) real well. We've purchased lengths of small gauge metal rod/ wire and cut it into 12 inch or so lengths andbent in half and made our own. But you can't save that stuff once it is used ... I think if the boards will work, it would be soooooo much easier and $$ savvy --- time savings too

This message was edited Apr 9, 2014 11:02 PM

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

April 10, 2014
9:42 AM

Post #9809139

Greetings from central Alabama to all ponders. Here is our netting that DH came up with, the last several years. Primary purpose was to keep the fallen leaves out of the pond, but it also helps keepping herons and hawks, as well as other critters from easy access to the gold fish and koi. Picture was taken back in Jan. I'll post more newer pics. to share later. Happy spring!

Kim

edited for typos.

This message was edited Apr 10, 2014 10:45 AM

Thumbnail by Lily_love

missingrosie
Hillsborough, NC

April 10, 2014
5:33 PM

Post #9809450

fiber or plastic? Staked?
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 10, 2014
5:47 PM

Post #9809463

Kim,
Love your bridge. That's the only thing I would like to add to my larger pond. Husb. and I will make one soon I hope.
Bonnie

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

April 10, 2014

Post #9809510

Hi Bonnie, it would be a fun project for you and DH (darling husb.), if I have to do it over again, I'd have modified the bridge so that it isn't too steep to climb up/down, not to mention is slippery when wet. Also the pond placement; I've it in a partial shade; thus I couldn't raise lilies, and lotus successfully there. But water irises and other non-blooming vegs. grow well in this shady water garden. :)

Missingrosie, it's plastic netting, that we weighed down with big rocks in various places, some stapled down onto the wooden bridge in various places.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

April 11, 2014
12:22 AM

Post #9809613

Lily love,
Can you post a picture of the wholw pond. I need to see the whole bridge.
Thanks,

Belle

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

April 11, 2014
6:02 AM

Post #9809729

Here goes Belle;

1. The rock dam was made to protect fish swimming out to the lake when flooded (we've a recent flood but the tide wasn't that bad), we're glad.
2. The pond looking to the west side.
3 & 4 " ... looking East.
5. Looking down from above deck.

The red leaf trees are those of Japanese maples.

Thumbnail by Lily_love   Thumbnail by Lily_love   Thumbnail by Lily_love   Thumbnail by Lily_love   Thumbnail by Lily_love

bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

April 11, 2014
11:02 AM

Post #9809902

Thank you!!!

Love it!!!

Belle
missingrosie
Hillsborough, NC

April 11, 2014
6:58 PM

Post #9810269

Love it too and what a great place for the maple.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

April 12, 2014
7:20 AM

Post #9810555

Kim - your gardens are always such a pleasure to view. Love your pond. Please keep the photos coming.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

April 12, 2014
7:06 PM

Post #9811007

Thanks all. Carolyn there isn't much going on with the pond. Should I embark on the revision of the bridge I then will post more pictures to share.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 13, 2014
9:16 AM

Post #9811345

Love your red maples. Everything I've read says it's too hot for them here.
Thanks you for sharing pictures.
Bonnie

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

April 13, 2014
11:22 AM

Post #9811444

Thanks Bonnie, thus far our zone seems to be kind to those Japanese Maples. Glad you have enjoyed the pics.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

jeanniejayne
Smyrna, DE

April 26, 2014
2:34 PM

Post #9822401

Love this new thread! I have a 1000 gallon free form pond in Delaware. It has been extant for many years, but we added a biofilter a few years back -- now in need of a rebuild, but works like a charm. Thirteen large (6-8 inch) goldfish, Japanese trap-door snails, a few freshwater mussels I got on e-bay 3-4 years ago. We had a big old channel cat in there who came with the pond, but lost him in the very rough winter 3 years ago. I miss watching him vacuuming up the floating fish food! Will post pics soon, but have waterlillies, arrowleaf, and miniature cattails. The water surface is pretty much covered in greenery by summer, and that helps to protect our guys from the herons. Leopard frogs breed here successfully, despite the fish and one very obsessed frog-hunting cat.
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 26, 2014
4:39 PM

Post #9822565

I don't want a high rise bridge cause I'm getting older and easier to walk on would be better.
Even if we just laid wide planks across resting on top 4X4's would keep me happy. Anything that would allow me to go out into middle and feed fish would be fun.
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

April 26, 2014
7:02 PM

Post #9822718

I'm thinking about a flat bridge...one step up, but flat all the way across, then one step down. Things get so moldy and slimey with the humidity in Florida that I just don't want to fall (or anyone else)

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

April 26, 2014
7:58 PM

Post #9822771

Bonnie and Mary, excellent plans for flat bridge. As that is what I'm aiming to modify my bridge eventually. Anyone care to start a new thread for this one is way too long. Thanks.
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

May 6, 2014
11:18 AM

Post #9831439

Bridge will have to wait. Hubby started digging near pool skimmer trying to find a leak. We found it. Now we are taking turns digging under sidewalk around pool trying to get into pipe and see if we can join a new pipe to it. What we can see is over 2" copper. He is hopping to find a threaded joint or else we are in deep doo doo to fix it. Can you imagine what 2" copper pipe would cost now. Yikes. The copper being next to dirt since 1952 has probably caused the corrosion. Hope we can change it somehow to PVC.

Keep your fingers crossed. A little prayer wouldn't hurt either.

Bonnie

WillowWasp

WillowWasp
Jones Creek, TX
(Zone 9a)

May 14, 2014
9:03 PM

Post #9839123

I have a very small pond about 4x5. I added a waterfall this spring and still need to fill in with rocks and such to make it look a little more appealing. I don't have any plants in it yet but would really love to try lotus. Do you think my pond is to small for those?
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

May 15, 2014
6:37 AM

Post #9839321

I grow my lotus in a bucket. It wasn't intentional, but when I split my lotus, my intention was to give some to friends, and threw the roots in separate buckets to keep them wet. Well...all of them are growing beautifully. I ran out of time to hand them out, so they just decided to grow where they were. I didn't add dirt or anything, but over the winter some decaying leaves have fallen in there, as well as tadpoles, so I guess that was enough?
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

May 16, 2014
7:32 AM

Post #9840224

Just returned from my friends ranch and she and I ride over her ranch a lot when I'm down there and I saw all the swamps full of lotus blossoms and should have brought some home but wadding in them doesn't appeal to me plus once I got stuck in the mud and getting out isn't easy.

They will look nice in your pond I'm sure.
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

May 16, 2014
11:32 AM

Post #9840455

I already have a lotus for you Bonnie, so don't go mud wading! :)
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

May 16, 2014
4:01 PM

Post #9840696

I don't since I had to get pulled out with the help of a tractor. Scared me a lot. Plus Audrey kept saying don't step on any moccasins. Ug!!!

WillowWasp

WillowWasp
Jones Creek, TX
(Zone 9a)

May 17, 2014
5:26 PM

Post #9841713

Has anyone bought Lotus seed on Ebay? I'm tempted to try some seed from them.
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

May 17, 2014
6:18 PM

Post #9841758

Yes, they are fairly easy to get to sprout. The trick is deep water, like a tall glass, and change the water out daily.

WillowWasp

WillowWasp
Jones Creek, TX
(Zone 9a)

May 18, 2014
9:36 AM

Post #9842193

I bought some one ebay as soon as I get them I'll start a thread and we can see my progress. Hopefully there will be progress..LOL

Nanny23

Nanny23
Mount Sterling, KY
(Zone 6b)

June 6, 2014
10:12 AM

Post #9860808

Hi everybody! I am new to this thread and am interested in Pond plants. I have four container ponds and a 2 acre pond that I would like to plant something in that won't take over. I wanted to plant water hyacinths in the big pond but I am afraid they will cover the pond if left unchecked. I am in zone 6a so what are your thoughts on this? I will post a pic later, I don't have it on this computer.
I bought some lotus seed on ebay, and they were easy to sprout, but you have to file the seeds down so they can sprout.
I started mine indoors in the winter and the temps were still not warm enough to sustain the plants once sprouted. They did get about 5 leaves before their demise! I am going to try again now that the weather is warm enough to put them outside.

This message was edited Jun 6, 2014 4:01 PM

Nanny23

Nanny23
Mount Sterling, KY
(Zone 6b)

June 6, 2014
3:44 PM

Post #9861031

This is the large pond. We have Koi, Bass,, Bluegill, Catfish, and other assorted aquatic wild life. So any suggestions would be appreciated. :)

Thumbnail by Nanny23

BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 7, 2014
5:30 AM

Post #9861330

I had some pickerel weed in my old smaller pond and it lasted for quite a while. Probably would do better in your largest pond. I think in your climate it would die back during the winter. Blooms a pretty blue.
You could check with your extension agent and see what's right for your climate.

Happy ponding.

Bonnie
Bertsby
Asheville, NC
(Zone 7a)

July 24, 2014
10:44 AM

Post #9902001

Pickerel rush/weed has proved to be the only wholly natural antidote for string algae. They suck up a lot of nutrients and a small pond may not support a second, less aggressive plant. Mine (about 900 gal.) didn't. Blue or purple, I love the blooms.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

July 24, 2014
3:50 PM

Post #9902216

I like the Pickerel rush too. I had some once upon a time, but the water celery has pretty much taken over.

We have not had any problems with string algae this year. The only thing we can figure is that we have more shade over our pond.
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 24, 2014
8:15 PM

Post #9902387

Welcome Nanny,
Your LAKE would look great with cat tails around the edges if they can live in your zone. I'm assuming it is earth bottom. You can plant easier than we who have EPDM liners in our ponds. I love the truly natural look. You will have some huge koi growing in that large environment.

Pickerel weed grows wild here so I get some every once in a while.

Happy ponding all.

Bonnie D.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Water Gardens Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Lotus/Kitty Litter Mardell 36 Jun 21, 2011 5:29 AM
This is my waterpond before we started the new construction! TraciS 9 Feb 19, 2008 1:35 PM
No Pump Water Garden gardening101usa 4 Mar 12, 2007 5:50 PM
Easy and inexpensive pond... BigDaddy99 85 Aug 8, 2008 11:05 PM
Peroxide safe for fish and plants? madelyn65 41 Apr 24, 2010 9:28 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America