Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Texas Gardening: Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center

Communities > Forums > Texas Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Texas GardeningReplies: 5, Views: 76
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Sunshine365
Austin, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 11, 2005
10:00 PM

Post #1284707

The Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center "Wildflower Days" opens March 14, 2005. It is a great place to visit for all the native wildflowers in bloom.

What a great place for a plant swap.

I usually go to their Spring plant sale-starts in April. Plants are a little high but not too bad. Some of the wildflower seed are really high. Like Indian Paint Brush.

It is located in Austin, here is there link http://www.wildflower.org/?nd=wfd

Sunshine365 ;-)
konkreteblond
Burleson, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 12, 2005
11:39 PM

Post #1286101

I stopped by once, late in the year, but I'd really love to go when things are blooming! Since you are there, can you suggest the best time for me and my local friends to have a little field trip?
Sunshine365
Austin, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 13, 2005
12:08 AM

Post #1286133

I went last year in the middle of April. There were lots of blooms, but I think it would of been better probobably around April 1st or even end of March.

You could call them and ask when they would recomend. Here is a picture from then. I always date my pictures when I save them on the computer, can't rely on my memory as well anymore. LOL

Hope you enjoy it if you go.

:-) Sonnia

This message was edited Feb 12, 2005 8:09 PM
konkreteblond
Burleson, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 13, 2005
2:33 AM

Post #1286353

That is beautiful!! I was just passing thru on the way back from San Antonio last year and thought while I was there I just had to stop by. It was in Nov. and everything was dead but I could just imagine it would be worth going to see. We had better start planning because the end of March will be here before we know it!
maggiemoo
Conroe, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 13, 2005
4:47 AM

Post #1286472

I went last year a couple of times (one of my sisters lives in Austin, bought a family membership.) My first visit was the very end of April- a little past the prime time, but I was amazed how much was still in bloom. I have an album on Webshots of that first visit- http://community.webshots.com/album/159148671MALsXE . My username on Webshots is onujonuj (it is sooo hard to get names that haven't already been taken!)- http://community.webshots.com/user/onujonuj . I post mostly garden photos- Antique Rose Emporium, Arbor Gate nursery (in Tomball), stuff going on in my garden. I'm working on updating and adding right now.
Sunshine365
Austin, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 13, 2005
11:19 AM

Post #1286599

Maggiemoo,
What a nice album. I was surprised how much was still blooming.

That is so neat, or as everyone says now adays, so cool, to put them on a website. I am not that computer savvy to figure all that out. I am always amazed what you can do now adays with the internet and digital cameras, and even cell phones. Sooooo Cool :-)

maggiemoo
Conroe, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 13, 2005
3:15 PM

Post #1286857

Sunshine,
Webshots is a super easy way to post photos on the web, and you can do it for free! There are other free photo-hosting websites out there, I'm exploring a few, but so far I'm most comfortable w/Webshots (probably because I've worked with it longer.)

Glad you enjoyed the album. I hope to get lots of good pictures this spring, on my second annual "wildflower/forgotten garden hunt" (I shoot with my camera.) Are you planning on going to the Central TX roundup in Kerrvile (April 23)?

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Texas Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
who grows peonies in houston area? vossner 20 Jun 18, 2012 7:58 PM
Texas Invasives List PvillePlanter 18 Mar 14, 2014 5:34 PM
Anyone Up For A Chat? dstartz 29 Jun 30, 2007 5:44 PM
DGrs in SW houston vossner 5 Dec 29, 2013 2:55 PM
Mock Orange in a big pot? mkjones 21 Aug 15, 2011 1:29 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America