Photo by Melody

Texas Gardening: Are we good weatherwise f/bulb planting??

Communities > Forums > Texas Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Texas GardeningReplies: 7, Views: 124
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
mkjones
Aurora, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 19, 2005
5:45 PM

Post #1297497

Hiya, I'm in Trophy Club, west of Grapevine. Are we good for planting caladium and hosta bulbs yet?? I don't want to stick them in too early, but the hostas are sprouting!

Thanks anybody!

mkj
Yuska
San Antonio, TX
(Zone 8b)

February 20, 2005
1:40 PM

Post #1298539

I'm usually optimistic, but somehow I'm really expecting a late freeze this year. But if the bulbs go in now, there likely won't be foliage above ground for several days, so you could protect the area with a thick temporary mulch for protection insurance.
trunnels
Plano, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 20, 2005
2:01 PM

Post #1298597

You are fine to plant the hostas but way, way too early for caladiums. The caladiums will not do anything until the ground is warm enough, so the bulbs are likely to rot or be eaten. All of the good nurseries in town will always tell you not to plant caladiums before May 1st. Planting them early will not give you any sort of head start. If you want and if you have room, you could start them inside now and then move them out later.
maggiemoo
Conroe, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 22, 2005
1:11 AM

Post #1301450

mkj, you need to wait on the caladiums until night temps are consistantly in the 60's. I know, it's hard to wait.
mkjones
Aurora, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 22, 2005
2:18 AM

Post #1301550

Ahh, you're SO right, Maggiemoo!! I'm chomping at the bit! =0

lol,
mkj

p.s. by the way, I heeded at advice, and ONLY planted my sprouting hostas. I'm trying not to think about my caladiums in February! ;-)
maggiemoo
Conroe, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 22, 2005
3:49 AM

Post #1301718

One of the guys I work with lives in Huntsville, just 30 miles north of me. For years he and his mother and sisters have gone in together ordering their caladium bulbs from a source in FL, and they always look fantastic (actually stops traffic!) He's the one who pointed out that 60 degree rule to me, and we were both saying last week how much we want our caladiums NOW!

It's a real shame that we are so lucky to be able to garden actively 10 or even 11 months out of the yr, and yet we are so impatient for our blooms. Imagine if we were living where they won't be considering Spring for another month or so! Oy! :-)

But, I do have roses blooming (Ducher and Knockout), some poppies, delphinium, four-nerve daisies, and sweet peas. I shouldn't be complaining.
mkjones
Aurora, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 22, 2005
1:03 PM

Post #1302044

Oh, I have Knockout too...isn't it wonderful??! Got it at Chamblee's in Tyler during the rose festival--great time! Mine's not blooming yet though...I'll have to go grumble at it, "Maggiemoo's IS, so what's the problem--don't you want to be like everybody else?!" lol

You're right; we're such ingrates. Others are knee deep in snow, and I'm pouting about having to wait on my spring planting, you know, 'til at least March. ;-)

mkj
maggiemoo
Conroe, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 22, 2005
1:08 PM

Post #1302052

"'til at least March"

ROTFL. Yes! Oh no, we have to wait a whole week!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Texas Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
who grows peonies in houston area? vossner 20 Jun 18, 2012 7:58 PM
Texas Invasives List PvillePlanter 18 Mar 14, 2014 5:34 PM
Anyone Up For A Chat? dstartz 29 Jun 30, 2007 5:44 PM
DGrs in SW houston vossner 5 Dec 29, 2013 2:55 PM
Mock Orange in a big pot? mkjones 21 Aug 15, 2011 1:29 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America