Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Texas Gardening: BEWARE

Communities > Forums > Texas Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Texas GardeningReplies: 220, Views: 757
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
brendabloomer
Center, TX
(Zone 8b)

February 21, 2005
11:12 AM

Post #1300107

The snakes are out! All this warm weather has confused them. Last night my son killed a ground rattler that was in the chair my husband had been sitting. Everyone be carefull.
imway2dumb
Gordonville, TX
(Zone 7b)

February 21, 2005
3:18 PM

Post #1300409

Yep!
MitchF
Lindsay, OK
(Zone 7a)

February 21, 2005
3:58 PM

Post #1300539

I found 2 garters when I was digging around this weekend. I am more worried about my smoke tree and Jap Maple they are both budded out.
Sunshine365
Austin, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 21, 2005
4:11 PM

Post #1300557

Yikes, thanks for the warning. Hoped they were still sleeping. Probably means the Tarantulas are out too.
:-o
FrannieK
Angleton, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 21, 2005
4:19 PM

Post #1300571

We have found 4 copperhead snakes hidden under things at our property. Yes, they are out there now and we all have to be very careful. Sure wish I did not have to worry about snakes that could harm me or my family members because it takes some of the fun of being in the big outdoors.
imway2dumb
Gordonville, TX
(Zone 7b)

February 21, 2005
4:26 PM

Post #1300591

Keep in mind that although it feels like spring, it is not! A frost now would not even be a 'late' frost. Just a plain ol' frost.

John
vossner
Richmond, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 21, 2005
5:37 PM

Post #1300722

i hate snakes, they freak me out big time. and you're right, it takes the fun out of being outside
salvia_lover
Modi'in
Israel

February 21, 2005
6:04 PM

Post #1300779

Yep, venomous snakes in the garden sure dampen my gardening spirit! Last summer we had just the "right" conditions to bring all the vipers in from the countryside to the towns and cities for laying their eggs. They were nesting in private gardens all over the country and had everyone really nervous about spending time in their gardens...let alone working in the garden! There were all sorts of warnings, including "don't put your hand into any bush or plant without first poking it several times with a rake or other long object". I mean, this type of thing makes pruning and dead heading downright scary! This high alert went on for most of the summer. I sure hope the snakes find the countryside more suitable this coming summer!

Stay safe everyone!

-Julie
imway2dumb
Gordonville, TX
(Zone 7b)

February 21, 2005
6:10 PM

Post #1300789

Poor critters are just trying to make a living. They try to do that in my yard and its "off with their head!" The wild ones? "Live and let live."
salvia_lover
Modi'in
Israel

February 21, 2005
6:29 PM

Post #1300822

I have the same agreement with bugs and spiders and mice. In the garden, they are wonderful critters and all have their rightful place in nature. In my house is a whole different story. My house is not nature...and any such critter that comes in does so at his own peril. ;-)

Snakes must keep a greater distance ... if I step on one while out of a hike and he bites me...it was my fault. Likewise if one comes into my garden...I'll be screaming mad (but I'll probably pee my pants rather than do anything useful to solve the problem)! LOL

-Julie
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

February 21, 2005
10:32 PM

Post #1301198

Let's not forget that even the venemous snakes eat lots of mice & rodents that would otherwise do a great deal of damage. I'd welcome some extra vole & mouse control around our yard! I know they can be startling, even scary, but most aren't particularly aggressive and would be happy to be left alone or given a chance to get out of the way. Of course there are exceptions... some of the big rattlers will hold their ground, and I swear a water moccasin once chased me down a path, but most snakes won't bite or strike unless they feel extremely threatened. After all, we're not small enough to be prey, so why waste the energy in biting? On the other hand, you do have to be cautious about the possibility of stepping on one, or putting your hand right on top of one -- their camoflage can be quite remarkable!

I used to carry spiders out of the house so they could eat annoying little bugs like mosquitos. However, our house & yard has become such a spider eutopia that we are entirely overrun, and now I admit I just squash them when I find them inside. But please consider alternatives to my grandmother's approach of "EEEEKK! A snake! Get the hoe!! Chop it into bits!" Snakes are good garden citizens.
imway2dumb
Gordonville, TX
(Zone 7b)

February 21, 2005
10:46 PM

Post #1301238

I know about the cottonmouths reputation however, we've had two encounters in the last three years with them and in neither case were they aggressive! I still will not allow them on my property. Just not worth the risk to my family. And, I don't think shooing them away is sufficient.

John
maggiemoo
Conroe, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 21, 2005
11:13 PM

Post #1301277

I just keep "No snakes allowed" signs posted around my property. Seems to work.

:-)
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

February 21, 2005
11:26 PM

Post #1301296

I've had other non-aggressive encounters with cottonmouths, too. I think some snakes are just more territorial than others. For my money, garter snakes are about the worst-tempered ones I've ever dealt with, but at least they're relatively small and, of course, nonvenomous. Shooing snakes away won't work any better than shooing bunnies out of your garden. I'm not sure how far you'd have to transport a snake to move it to a new territory so it wouldn't return... With bunnies, a couple of miles seems to be sufficient, but squirrels need to be driven at least 5 miles before being released. I don't have a big enough trap for the groundhogs, so if I can't get them to move along by tossing a handful of mothballs down their hole, then I have to resort to permanently dispatching them.
imway2dumb
Gordonville, TX
(Zone 7b)

February 21, 2005
11:36 PM

Post #1301318

Gopher snakes are large, can put on quite a show and give a very nasty infectuous bite but, I like having them around.
brendabloomer
Center, TX
(Zone 8b)

February 22, 2005
11:06 AM

Post #1301930

Snakes are very aggressive right now! They have just come out and are hungery. Sorry folks but the only good snake is a dead one with one exception, I don't kill King snakes. I've several close calls!
imway2dumb
Gordonville, TX
(Zone 7b)

February 22, 2005
12:30 PM

Post #1302004

Wish you didn't feel that way Brenda. :-)
rosebruce
Plano, TX

February 22, 2005
2:37 PM

Post #1302185

I don't know about any of you, but for some reason, Plano, Texas has tons of rabbits instead of snakes...we have also been getting a lot of coyotes lingering around...we had them on the news last year...I guess the development around here is invading their homes.. I hope the snakes never come into my area...cause I'll freak out and pass out and of course that snake will probably get so scared it will eat me or bite me? heh heh

Anyway, I don't think my tiny cocker spaniel will allow even a grasshopper into my yard!!

She is so fearless and keeps any rabbits or possums out!!

UGGHHH Possums are sooo ugly and scary to me!!

I'll let you know if I run into any snakes...but chances are slim (I HOPE?!)

Rose in Texas

imway2dumb
Gordonville, TX
(Zone 7b)

February 22, 2005
2:59 PM

Post #1302212

Rose, the rabbit and coyote populations are linked. Both critters have adapted to developed areas, especially the wiley coyote. That species was once found only from the high plains to the Pacific Ocean. His range has now spread to every state except Hawaii.
TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX
(Zone 6b)

February 22, 2005
3:20 PM

Post #1302247

LOL at MaggieMoo

I only WISH we had more snakes so we would have less vermin. However, only NON-poisonous snakes are invited...
imway2dumb
Gordonville, TX
(Zone 7b)

February 22, 2005
3:35 PM

Post #1302272

My feelings exactly!!
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

February 22, 2005
7:10 PM

Post #1302811

OK, as a bona fide critterologist, I feel I must point out that there's no such thing as a poisonous snake. As far as I know, all snakes are perfectly safe to eat! (Tastes like chicken, I betcha!) On the other hand, some snakes are certainly *venomous*... LOL As I've explained it to my students, if you bite the critter and you get sick, it's poisonous. If the critter bites you & you get sick, it's venomous!

Suddenly, I feel like Carolyn, reminding us for the umpteenth time on the tomato forum that "resistance" and "tolerance" are not interchangable terms! :-)
imway2dumb
Gordonville, TX
(Zone 7b)

February 22, 2005
7:19 PM

Post #1302829

Ha, ha, ha!
TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX
(Zone 6b)

February 22, 2005
7:22 PM

Post #1302832

boy I needed that laugh, thanks critter...

I shal make a sign "No venomous critters beyond this point", no how about
]
"Venomous snakes enter at risk of being eaten"
imway2dumb
Gordonville, TX
(Zone 7b)

February 22, 2005
7:53 PM

Post #1302872

or, "prosecuted and executed." After all, this is Texas!
maggiemoo
Conroe, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 22, 2005
9:23 PM

Post #1303018

or, "pummelled to unconsciousness with an organic carrot"?
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

February 22, 2005
9:23 PM

Post #1303019

ROTFL!
TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX
(Zone 6b)

February 22, 2005
9:46 PM

Post #1303060

Well, since the snakes can't read, maybe we just need a bright colored sign with a circle and a drawing of fangs, and a slash through it. Even my kids know what a circle and slash means. ;-)

This year I am planting catnip. Maybe an extra benefit will be more wild cats (preferably not pumas) and thus less mice, rats, and moles, and therefore no need for snakes.

Oh, come on, let me dream a little...
imway2dumb
Gordonville, TX
(Zone 7b)

February 22, 2005
10:09 PM

Post #1303102

Hey, Fritch, I got some cats you can have!
TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX
(Zone 6b)

February 22, 2005
10:33 PM

Post #1303150

...nonononono, let me clarify. There are enough cats around, just would like them to eat at my place more often. No sending ferrel, my addy is NOT in the exchange LOL
imway2dumb
Gordonville, TX
(Zone 7b)

February 22, 2005
11:20 PM

Post #1303248

Well, I tried.
TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX
(Zone 6b)

February 22, 2005
11:26 PM

Post #1303261

Yeah, and don't bring any to the roundup either, I know what yur thinkin'...
imway2dumb
Gordonville, TX
(Zone 7b)

February 22, 2005
11:42 PM

Post #1303291

I don't even know that!!
maggiemoo
Conroe, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 22, 2005
11:44 PM

Post #1303296

Methinks you doth protest too much. :-)
htop
San Antonio, TX
(Zone 8b)

February 23, 2005
11:16 AM

Post #1303873

Be careful if you decide to move any large rocks. I found lots of snakes under them last year as I rearranged rocks that I was using as edging. They were all quite harmless types. I leave the snakes in my yard to do their own thing unlees they are the venemous types. The rat snakes have been very helpful with controlling the field mouse and rat problems I had been previously experiencing. I usually capture rattlesnakes that are in my yard and transport them to our deer lease. I find it difficult to kill them. At least they usually give a warning so that you know that they are there and generally are not very aggressive. I fear coral snakes and copperheads a lot more than rattlesnakes. Coral snakes latch onto you and chew for a while. Having 6 brothers and growing up with the snakes in their animal "collections" (we had a small zoo which eve included alligators), I have less fear of them than a lot of people.
brendabloomer
Center, TX
(Zone 8b)

February 23, 2005
11:19 AM

Post #1303875

I'm a nature lover and don't go out hunting them to kill them but...if they get in my yard and kill my flowers their dead. Sorry critter. I have 26 acres and I only use about 2 for my flowers they can have the rest. Maybe I can up a sign "POSTED NO ANIMALS". Think it will work?
TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX
(Zone 6b)

February 23, 2005
2:07 PM

Post #1304075

what are those puffy snakes called? We had some nearby last year. Now THAT would scare me...
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

February 23, 2005
3:07 PM

Post #1304220

Snakes aren't likely to kill your flowers -- what would they do, slither them to death? -- but they'll take out some grasshoppers, mice, bunnies, etc (depending on snake size & dietary preference) that would otherwise do some damage. I agree, it's a tougher call with the venomous ones, especially if you have small children around.

"POSTED NO ANIMALS" hah! It's been my experience that critters don't read so good. As a youngster, I once posted a set of rules by the birdfeeder (take turns. no cussing.), and the birds just carried on as usual! Maybe Tamara's idea of a sign with a circle & slash symbol would work better LOL but I wouldn't get my hopes up!
imway2dumb
Gordonville, TX
(Zone 7b)

February 23, 2005
3:23 PM

Post #1304246

Google puffy snakes. This was first on the list. Enjoy:
http://www.marshbunny.com/mbunny/wildlife/snake.html
TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX
(Zone 6b)

February 23, 2005
3:27 PM

Post #1304256

Well, that was a cool snake story, but not the one I was thinking. I did a search on puffed snake and got a bunch of jewlery. I bet if I ask my Mom she will remember, one was found at her workstie last year LOL

TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX
(Zone 6b)

February 23, 2005
3:31 PM

Post #1304268

search on puff snake got it, the puff adder
most info says africa, but at least two I know of last year, one in Fritch, the other in Borger
http://www.junglephotos.com/africa/afanimals/reptiles/puffadder.shtml

this looks more like it,and shows it "puffed"
http://academic.sun.ac.za/forlang/snakes/puffadder.html

This message was edited Feb 23, 2005 11:36 AM

and this gives some garden how-tos
http://academic.sun.ac.za/forlang/snakes/garden.html

This message was edited Feb 23, 2005 11:37 AM
imway2dumb
Gordonville, TX
(Zone 7b)

February 23, 2005
3:38 PM

Post #1304289

Puff adders in the Panhandle? That is not a good thing!
TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX
(Zone 6b)

February 23, 2005
3:48 PM

Post #1304311

Well, I am hoping the two snakes did not cross paths, and therefore don't have mates LOL.

Thank goodness I didn't see them personally, I would have freaked. The only snake I've seen in a while was on our road to the driveway. The silly thing (bull snake) was laying on the asphalt sunning, and if someone else drove by I was sure they would run it over. So I had a garden tool in my trunk, and proceeded to use the handle to get the guy to move along. Apparently, he didn't appreicate his nap being interrupted, and struck at me! About that time a guy on another street looked my way. I had never been so startled in all my life Or so fortunate to actually have someone drive by when you need them... Had no idea a bull snake would do that, usually you just push them on their way. Maybe he was half puff half bull LOL. So the guy turned out to be an experienced handler, and got the snake up and across the road to larger pastures. Haven't seen him since. The horses out there probably stomped him :-(
mydaisy
San Augustine, TX
(Zone 8b)

February 23, 2005
3:53 PM

Post #1304323

Hey brendabloomer in Center! I'm just down the road from ya...south of Shelbyville. Actually, DS goes to S'ville Middle School! Nice to meet ya!

Down this way, we have a dreadful problem with timber rattlers. 17 sighted on our property alone last season. Several years ago, the forestry dept. began releasing (or they say "relocating") these rattlers from South TX. Last spring, hundreds were relocated to FM 353, approx. 2-3 miles from our place as the crow flies. EEEK!

DH has spoken with our wildlife biologist (for the deer lease) who tells him that many of the snakes are fitted(?) with locator chips for research. Seems an adult male will travel less than 2 acres once he gets situated in a spot he likes! Also, it is illegal to kill these snakes because they are endangered. Yep, I'd like to endanger them!

We have 52 acres and most of the snakes have been found in the front of the property (house is in the back). The closest one to the house "got it" when DH hit it with the bush hog! OOOPS! :P
I really worry about my dogs getting bit. Steel (black lab) and Sammy (Feist Terrier) love to run around the entire place & play in the creek. They tend to stay out of the pond, which is where lots of cottonmouths are! DS shoots them with his open-sight .22 (he says it's good practice!) They are very cautious around snakes, Steel is the best "warning system" I've ever seen, but if they are running around & just get struck...

Sorry to "rattle" on & hijack your thread, this is one subject we really pay attention to! Thanks for the warnings brenda, I was wondering when we would start seeing our slithering critters around!
imway2dumb
Gordonville, TX
(Zone 7b)

February 23, 2005
3:54 PM

Post #1304327

The "puff adders" could have been this guy maybe? Go to the bottom of page where it says 'discussion'
http://www.enature.com/fieldguide/showSpeciesFT.asp?fotogID=525&curPageNum=7&recnum=AR0098
TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX
(Zone 6b)

February 23, 2005
4:01 PM

Post #1304349

Thanks Dumb!

Very likely, though I didn't see them. That is a relief! Certainly the one I tried to move was a bull snake though, it was more than six feet long and marked accordingly.

I guess the snakes are out due to the warm spells we have been having. We could all pray for cold weather to scare them back underground? LOL

the garden how-to link above gives good snake safety tips, everyone should read it and be prepared, and always have a long-hadled something in your trunk or in reach!
imway2dumb
Gordonville, TX
(Zone 7b)

February 23, 2005
4:11 PM

Post #1304369

Here is your bull snake, sometimes called a gopher snake. My experience with these guys is that they can put on a really aggressive show. Even imitate a cobra spreading its neck.

http://www.nationalgeographic.com/lewisandclark/record_species_162_2.html

When I was a kid I thought they were fun to tease. :-(
TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX
(Zone 6b)

February 23, 2005
4:35 PM

Post #1304421

Shame on you, teasing an innocent bull snake! They are very territorial, and kill rattlers, you know!

Can't get the pic to load, might be my browser.

Yes, got it just took time. When I lived in Calif., we had "gopher" snakes that were rather small and not agressive. The bull snakes in Texas are so big, I had no idea they were related!

I am going to email a friend in Amarillo who lives in the country with two small children, so she knows they are coming out

This message was edited Feb 23, 2005 12:38 PM
imway2dumb
Gordonville, TX
(Zone 7b)

February 23, 2005
5:04 PM

Post #1304481

In California, I had an encounter with what had to be an 8 footer. I followed him/her into the understory not teasing it at all (I was all growed up by then) when it had had enough. The guy reared and emmited what sounded like a roar (to me). Spread his neck like a cobra, made a false charge, played dead, reared back up and struck at me and, generally made a fool of me. I backed off, gave him the peace sign and got the heck outta there. I will never forget that snake!
maggiemoo
Conroe, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 23, 2005
7:51 PM

Post #1304785

I know that peace sign really meant something to him! :-)

When I get home (yes, I'm ducking in here during break at work) I'll have to find the pictures I took last year of something on a country road near Independence. As I was driving up, from a very long way off, I saw something "standing up" in the road. As I got closer, I thought it was a branch that had fallen and landed so that the bent part was sticking way up - about 4 feet. Closer still it started to creep me out, it looked an awful lot like a really huge snake "standing up", and looking straight at me as I was driving closer. I drove as close as I felt I could, and then stopped the car and turned it off. It was, indeed, a snake, and it was just me and him, looking at each other. I took a couple of pictures hanging out of the car before he just dropped and quickly slithered off into the ditch. My heart never beat so fast!

Unfortunately, the picture doesn't give a very good idea of scale and depth, mostly looks like a stick on the ground. But I'll look for it anyway.
imway2dumb
Gordonville, TX
(Zone 7b)

February 23, 2005
8:00 PM

Post #1304802

I'll be looking for it!!
maggiemoo
Conroe, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 24, 2005
12:43 AM

Post #1305249

I can't believe it, but I can't find the snake pictures! Really, seriously, I'm not making it up, I really did see that humongous snake "standing up" in the middle of the road... really... I'm not kidding...

I just can't find the pictures...
TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX
(Zone 6b)

February 24, 2005
12:50 AM

Post #1305264

too bad you didn't get it on video, you could have won some money...

that's OK I believe you anyway, and from your description I can visualize that just fine LOL too close for comfort
maggiemoo
Conroe, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 24, 2005
1:00 AM

Post #1305294

Whew! Thanks Tamara, for believing me. I really was surprised that I was not totally traumatized, it was such a creepy experience.
brendabloomer
Center, TX
(Zone 8b)

February 24, 2005
11:08 AM

Post #1305782

Maggie I think it may have been a Spread Adder. Not sure if that's the correct name but I have seen them before. They raise their head and spread their neck out like a cobra. I don't think they are poisonious but can cause heart attacks. lol Mydaisy-they released 3 or 4 55 gallon barrels of the rattle snakes out and yes they have made it to our area. critter-I don't kill all snakes. Once I chased a snake to see what kind it was. Turned out to be a king snake so I wouldn't let my son shoot it.
maggiemoo
Conroe, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 24, 2005
1:54 PM

Post #1305928

"I don't think they are poisonious but can cause heart attacks."

Ain't that the truth!
imway2dumb
Gordonville, TX
(Zone 7b)

February 24, 2005
3:24 PM

Post #1306059

While driving down the highway on a HOT summer day I saw a very large snake trying to cross the road ahead of me. Never saw a snake move as fast or jump so high. Looked like a plane that landed and was bouncing on the runway. Funny and spooky at the same time!
maggiemoo
Conroe, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 24, 2005
4:17 PM

Post #1306150

Whoa! I don't even want to imagine snakes jumping on the road!
imway2dumb
Gordonville, TX
(Zone 7b)

February 24, 2005

Post #1306155

I think he was trying to fly over that hot asphalt.
TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX
(Zone 6b)

February 24, 2005
4:49 PM

Post #1306202

like playing hot potato!
imway2dumb
Gordonville, TX
(Zone 7b)

February 24, 2005
4:57 PM

Post #1306213

Exactly
maggiemoo
Conroe, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 24, 2005
7:57 PM

Post #1306573

Man, I know how bad it feels to walk bare-footed on hot pavement, can you imagine bare-bellied!?
TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX
(Zone 6b)

February 25, 2005
3:39 AM

Post #1307425

That is what is commonly understood as evolution. The more hot asphalt, the more snakes grow wings to fly --- eeeek!
TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX
(Zone 6b)

February 25, 2005
4:08 AM

Post #1307468

Here is what we DON'T wanna see:

http://davesgarden.com/forums/fp.php?pid=1307460

in our garden or at the Round-ups...
imway2dumb
Gordonville, TX
(Zone 7b)

February 25, 2005
1:47 PM

Post #1307706

I don't mind seeing them, just don't wanna get in a fight with one. LOL
heycharlie
San Jacinto County, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 7, 2005
8:35 AM

Post #1324413

Me not be wanting to fight no snake to no, lol
My property backs up to the woods on tha east side and tha south end.
I guess we've seen most animals and many snakes on it one time or tha other.
In Jul 02 I took this pic, from the tractor. I knew they were down along the creek but! Only seen it tha once, don't go walking back there at night anymore.
brendabloomer
Center, TX
(Zone 8b)

March 7, 2005
11:11 AM

Post #1324457

And you're still alive...I would have had a heart attack!!!!
maggiemoo
Conroe, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 7, 2005
3:34 PM

Post #1324795

I don't guess I'd be doing any walking down there AT ALL, much less at night!
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

March 7, 2005
3:52 PM

Post #1324821

I'm trying to figure out whatcha got there... Looking at the stripes on the side... Is that a young gator? Or possibly a saltwater croc? (I don't know where San Jacinto County is; I'm *gasp* not a Texan, although I'm lurking on this forum!) How big was it?
imway2dumb
Gordonville, TX
(Zone 7b)

March 7, 2005
3:59 PM

Post #1324828

Thought you guys might find this map and article interesting:

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/nature/wild/vertebrate/reptiles/americanAlligator/media/pdf/distributionOfAlligators.pdf
maggiemoo
Conroe, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 7, 2005
5:10 PM

Post #1324930

Hey, critter'ist,

You're welcome to lurk anytime you want! Heck, you can even speak out now and again, and we won't mind one bit! :-)

John,

That map was quite interesting. I know that I've heard there are NO waterways- man-made lakes, etc- in TX that DON"T have these guys.
mydaisy
San Augustine, TX
(Zone 8b)

March 7, 2005
5:22 PM

Post #1324950

I think we have one in the creek that borders our property. Last summer DH found a nest...don't know if it's from a gator or a big turtle (can't remember what they are called now, but these I have seen). The turtles are endangered in Texas, but can be sold in Louisiana. I don't know if turtle nests even look the same as a gator nest : ).

TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX
(Zone 6b)

March 8, 2005
1:50 AM

Post #1325937

Looks to me like I am out of reach, being up in Fritch. Probably even Lake Meredith is free of them LOL. A few years ago, a lady here in town opened an exotic pet shop, and she had a small gator from Louisiana as a watch dog. Her name was gatorade, and she was barely two foot long, and would not get any longer because she was kept in such a small cage. But her teeth cut right through a broom handle, and she was cranky and not safe to be near!
John, thanks for the map. Charlie, watch where ya step! Critterologist, you are welcome anytime :-)
imway2dumb
Gordonville, TX
(Zone 7b)

March 8, 2005
2:14 AM

Post #1325977

A couple years ago a rancher here in Grayson County reported a four footer in his stock pond. The article in the paper said at certain times of the year some gators just up and take off overland in search of greener pastures. While unusual here this is supposed to be their historical northern and western limit. The lady that cuts my hair in Willis, OK. has an 8"x10" b&w photo hanging on the wall with a 14' alligator discovered while building the dam for Lake Texoma in rhe early 40s. Fisherman from the lake have been known to tell tales of gator sightings in the bayous. But then, these are reports from fisherman.
TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX
(Zone 6b)

March 8, 2005
2:37 AM

Post #1326015

Thanks John, I am certain none are big enough to eat my thirty pound child, thanks so much for that reassurance, yeppers, just fisherman tales, no doubt about it, no gators in that lake, no sirree, too far north... egad...
imway2dumb
Gordonville, TX
(Zone 7b)

March 8, 2005
2:43 AM

Post #1326025

Some of the black bass have been seen following small children along the shoreline, though.
TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX
(Zone 6b)

March 8, 2005
3:07 AM

Post #1326053

oh, boy, you are really asking for it, you just wait! And stop hijacking the snake thread (j/k)
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

March 8, 2005
3:30 AM

Post #1326079

Thanks for not castigating me for being a nonTexan! This is the only thread I've posted to so far, but I'm picking up lots of good information here to pass along to a dear friend who recently moved to Irving. I really miss having Doris next door, she is the sweetest lady, and we were gardening buddies too! Unfortunately, she isn't online yet, and she's having trouble arranging transportation to the senior center so she can take a computer class. (DART will send a bus, but only to the gate of the community, and she can't walk that far with her bad knee.) She used to surf gardening web sites with a little assistance from me, so she misses having that ready source of information. Her daughter keeps promising to show her how to use their computer, but since Toni has been working at another location in Washington state for months, that doesn't work either! So, meanwhile, she gets information from me, and I put her on a bunch of catalog mailing lists.

Well, now I've *really* hijacked this thread... sorry... let's get back to the reptiles!

I was once treed by a gator...
imway2dumb
Gordonville, TX
(Zone 7b)

March 8, 2005
3:31 AM

Post #1326082

Well, there are more than a few cottonmouths in the lake. There! Back on track.
salvia_lover
Modi'in
Israel

March 8, 2005
6:13 AM

Post #1326200

John, I sure hope you steer clear of that barber on an OU/Texas weekend ;-) hehehe

Snakes, gators, child-stalking bass, and now back to snakes...what an uplifting thread this is ROTFL

-Julie
imway2dumb
Gordonville, TX
(Zone 7b)

March 8, 2005
1:13 PM

Post #1326437

I want to hear about being treed by gators! Tell Doris to find her way to the Texas Forum asap and introduce herself.
salvia_lover
Modi'in
Israel

March 8, 2005
1:30 PM

Post #1326470

Yeah, you may be one of only a few people chased by a gator to actually find a tree they could climb fast enough ;-). I want to read the story to!

-Julie
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

March 8, 2005
2:36 PM

Post #1326601

A while back, I taught classes for a year at an ecology education center on Jekyll Island, GA. We'd get busloads of kids from all over and run them around the island for a couple of days -- into the marsh, through the maritime forest, onto the beach, down by the dock, etc -- it was a great way to learn, and a fun way to teach!

There was a small pond near the causeway. A young gator had claimed the pond as his own, and we used to stop by on our way to the historic district for a virtually guaranteed gator-sighting. I was driving to the center one morning, and I decided to quickly stop by the pond to see where the gator was hanging out that day. Also, mating season was due to begin soon, and I wanted to make sure the little guy didn't seem too agitated. Well, I was looking around, and I walked over a small rise, and I suddenly discovered that my young gator buddy had been run out of town. He'd been replaced by a MUCH larger bull gator, who was not at ALL pleased to have me disturb his rest! He roared, sounding like a badly tuned Harley trying (and failing) to start, I backpedaled, and he charged!!!

Now, here's the thing about gators. Their teeth are very fierce, but their brains are very small. They get mad, and they think, "I am going to run right over there and BITE that thing!" Their charge is very swift (faster than a man can run, on flat ground), but they will just run straight at you without turning and without checking to see if their target is still where they last saw it. If you leap to one side, they tend to whoosh right past, eventually slowing down and looking around as if to say, "huh? but it was right here! in front of me! that thing I wanted to bite! where did it go, eh?!?"

Needless to say, I lept to one side more quickly than I'd ever moved in my life, and I scurried up into a (thankfully) nearby pine tree. This big gator whooshed past, tried to figure out where I'd gone, then gave a mental shrug of his tiny reptilian brain and headed for a small patch of sunshine to continue his interrupted nap. Unfortunately for me, that small patch of sun was just a few feet from my tree! Well, at least I was safe from his jaws (this isn't the kind of story where the branch I'm sitting on begins to bend or break), but I had a class starting shortly, so I was stymied. I started plucking pinecones that were within reach and tossing them at him, hoping to make him uncomfortable so that he would move. I plunked him on the head repeatedly (picture that for a moment, if you would), and finally he'd either had enough of my barrage or (more likely) had become too hot, and he moved off to his pond for a swim. Whew! I climbed back down *very* carefully and *very* quietly and retreated.

I was a few minutes late for my class, but I did have an excellent story to tell! Needless to say, we did not take any kids back to that pond for a while! After mating season, we did take some groups back to see the "monster" that had charged me, but we gave him plenty of space. I am glad I didn't discover his ownership of the pond with 18 fourth grade students in tow!!

Now, since people reading this thread might actually encounter gators, I'd like to add a note. The bigger gators do tend to charge in a straight line, so moving sidewise or running in a zig zag path will let you avoid them. Smaller gators, however, are sometimes more agile of body &/or mind, and they will zig zag right after you! However, they move fastest when they run in a straight line, so your best chance of outrunning them is still to change directions repeatedly. I don't know what Steve Irwin would advise, but this is what I've been told by several people who've had far more gator-encounter experience than I.

maggiemoo
Conroe, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 8, 2005
5:37 PM

Post #1326970

Yikes!

I'm glad, too, that you didn't have all the kiddos with you when you discovered that guy!
imway2dumb
Gordonville, TX
(Zone 7b)

March 8, 2005
6:12 PM

Post #1327026

I enjoyed that story very much. After showing it to dw this morning, I forgot to say that!
salvia_lover
Modi'in
Israel

March 8, 2005
6:15 PM

Post #1327033

Yup, great story...and great reflexes! I'm sure youre students enjoyed the story immensely too! I was ROTFL at the part where you were chunking pinecones at his head. Definitely a comic scene even if you were in a pickle.

-Julie
TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX
(Zone 6b)

March 8, 2005
10:53 PM

Post #1327487

Great story!

That makes sense, Stever Irwin is always jumping from one side to the other. I just lovee his movie, but don't recall the name.

My kids may not need life jackets or fishing licenses, they may not get that close to the water LOL
cherishlife
Pocola, OK
(Zone 7a)

March 12, 2005
3:51 PM

Post #1334051

Thought I would post this on here since this is a snake thread. Found this in Google Images. I was looking for King Snakes and found a two headed snake photo. http://www.dimijianimages.com/More-page1/king-snake.htm

We are lucky enough to have a HUGE black King Snake on our property. So far I haven't seen any other snakes, but I'm sure that will change sooner or later. Maybe he's keeping them cleaned out?

This message was edited Mar 12, 2005 10:56 AM
imway2dumb
Gordonville, TX
(Zone 7b)

March 12, 2005
3:54 PM

Post #1334058

One (two?) of the good guys.
dstartz
Deep South Texas, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 12, 2005
6:20 PM

Post #1334270

I was down at the edge of the earth yesterday, out in the middle of nowhere, delivering some drilling equipment and when I got out of my truck to put up my gear this thread popped into my head.

Having lived in the country for 17 years I am VERY aware of snakes and how they can be. So yesterday, while standing in mid-calf deep brush, it was a beast rolling up straps, putting up timbers and squaring away the rest of my gear all the time watching out for rattle bugs.

Thanks for the reminder!!!
TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX
(Zone 6b)

March 12, 2005
7:48 PM

Post #1334410

GRacious! Maybe your big truck scared them away ;-)
TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX
(Zone 6b)

March 12, 2005
7:51 PM

Post #1334418

"The two heads search and feed independently of each other"

Now, come on, they are joined at the neck. I would say they have to take turns eating. It may be easy to corner the prey, if one head misses the other one wins~!
imway2dumb
Gordonville, TX
(Zone 7b)

March 12, 2005
7:56 PM

Post #1334431

I saw another story about a two headed snake. Seems they would fight over some morsel. Their keeper had to put an index card between them so at least one of them could eat.
TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX
(Zone 6b)

March 12, 2005
8:28 PM

Post #1334491

You know, some twins learn how to get along and help one another, and some are constantly at each others' throats!

(No one pounce on me here, I have twin sisters)
cherishlife
Pocola, OK
(Zone 7a)

March 13, 2005
3:44 AM

Post #1335264

Isn't that the truth? DH has twin cousins like that. They aren't necessarily constantly fighting, but they definately talk about each other... to me...and I do my best to stay out of the middle of it. I'm friends with both of them and I get to hear it every now and then. Thank goodness they both live in TEXAS. LOL Don't jump on me for that, I love Texas. I just couldn't resist.

As far as the siamese snakes go... I guess it wouldn't matter if only one got to eat all the time and the other never got to eat, unless they have two stomachs, but that's not likely. Weird concept. Never having to eat but your stomach gets full when you need it.
heycharlie
San Jacinto County, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 13, 2005
4:56 AM

Post #1335346

critterologist
San Jacinto County where I live has alligators most every where.
I actually live on Hwy 59 north of a little town called Shepherd, which is appx 55 from Houston Tx.

Texas is called the (Friendship State) as ya can tell from this forum we believe it. Welcome all!
I was conceived in Ok but mom rushed over to Dallas so I could be born a Texican lol. Much of my younger life was in south east Oklahoma. I edited a post I had made in Jan this year talking about some of my experiences there. http://heycharlieblog.blogspot.com/2005/01/gardening-selling-produce.html

I really enjoyed all my many Uncles and Aunts. We take care of the only Aunt I have left from the family of 11. She is 93 has her own house on our property.
I mentioned talking about snakes here, tha stories started. I remembered some of them. Especially the one where a big rattler struck the side of tha one Uncles Model A Ford.

A Son and family jus came in from Az to stay a while.
Close to where they parked their trailer there was a big, large, bigger than that pile of brush and limbs cut from an oak tree I had done 8 months ago. WHY was it still there?

Samual Clemmons aka Mark Twain said it best.
[Never put off till tomarrow what you can put off forever] One of my many heros lol.
I usually have a number of copperheads each year and yes as of dark thirty tonight it was gone.

I took the tagboard off the heycharlie blog, but I might add a guest book tonight if I hold out long enough.
Should you go there, if you're from___? Brag about it!

Thanks brendabloomer Center, TX for the topic "Beware"
I used to know some Livingston's and Wiggins from your town. Back about 1980 something.

This message was edited Mar 13, 2005 1:11 AM
trunnels
Plano, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 13, 2005
5:02 AM

Post #1335353

I have twin brothers six years younger than me! They are as different as night and day. :-)
heycharlie
San Jacinto County, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 13, 2005
5:23 AM

Post #1335374

I have a pair of 2nd cousins Identical twins. If I can find a picture I'll scan it. They play the same guitar, at tha same time. one standing behind the other. Looks like one with 4 arms. Lol they plan at their local church once in a while. Other than that its all rock & roll. mostly 70's. Never could tell them apart!
brendabloomer
Center, TX
(Zone 8b)

March 13, 2005
10:36 AM

Post #1335499

heycharlie...you're welcome...I still know some Livingstons and Wiggins here. Was in my yard all day yesterday and didn't see any snakes! Lots of lizzards and frogs but no snakes. Had to rescue a tree frog from my round up spraying. Last year I started seeing tree frogs around my plants. Always have toad frogs but usually not tree ones. One of the tree frogs followed my plants to my front make shift GH on my porch and has stayed all winter. I love frogs and have watched him all winter. I've started planting seeds so I hope we don't get any more cold weather!
heycharlie
San Jacinto County, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 13, 2005
7:33 PM

Post #1336260

The Center Tx area is beautiful.
I used to live in the Nacogdoches area. All lf that part of ET was my favorite on a line from Hwy 19 to tha La border lol.

I believe we've had our last frost, here and there. Famous last words huh!
Anything that helps our gardens I respect and protect.
I teach our grandkids that same. Tell them, they're grandpa's helpers.
They think that's great!

Happy gardening to ya

TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX
(Zone 6b)

March 14, 2005
4:48 AM

Post #1337198

Do we need to start a thread on twins? LOL Hope the rest of ya'll are still keepin gan eye out for those snakes!
brendabloomer
Center, TX
(Zone 8b)

March 14, 2005
10:49 AM

Post #1337350

If we start one on twins I'll have to join in on it too. My mom had a twin brother. He had - a boy and two girls...My mom had two girls and a boy. Moms brothers son and youngest girl both had twins. None of us had twins!
TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX
(Zone 6b)

March 14, 2005
7:32 PM

Post #1338232

This morning my boys were play fighting over who got the bathroom first. My mother ocntributed her usual "which on edo you want to be twins?" She likes to tease me, because all my life, I wanted to have twins, and since neither of my twin sisters had any, I thought it would be me. I FINALLY had a good response to her teasing--- "Since twins tend to be opposites, I guess I would want them both to be twins!"

Of course, I stay so busy and multitask, my mother swares I MUST be twins secretly (boy I wish).
htop
San Antonio, TX
(Zone 8b)

March 30, 2005
11:57 AM

Post #1372428

While I was deligently digging up nutgrass in my front flowerbed yesterday, I moved a container of snapdragons that I had just moved 2 days ago. Curled up beneath it was a young (about 18 inch) snake which was like none I had ever seen before. I didn't take the time to try to look at it close enough to ID it because I didn't want to put the pot back on top of it and I knew it would take off pretty fast. I went to find a box to put it in, but by the time I got back it was gone. I should have taken more time to observe it because now I don't know what kind of snake it is. If I don't know the iD of a snake that is inhabiting my yard, I usually capture it until I can make an ID. If it is harmless, I place it back where I found it.

I recognize most poisonous snakes. I capture them and then release them on our deer lease. I have killed only one rattlesnake. It was in August one year and we hadn't had any rain for quite some time. I was watering a flowerbed in my backyard and I glanced down to see what was moving. It was a small rattlesnake swimming in the water. By reflex, I grabbed a hoe that just happened to be against the fence and chopped it's little head off. I felt bad after I had killed it.

I went on pulling nutgrass and never saw the critter again. I'll check under the pot again today to see if it went back there to keep warm last night.

We used to have 2 large and 1 small "pet" alligators when I was growing up. They were not very cuddley. They hibernate in cold weather and are in a deep "sleep". When it was going to freeze, my brothers hogtied them and put them in the bathtub in our house. The warmth would cause them to start coming out of hibernation a bit. We used to really have fun with our friends. We would send them into the bathroom to retrieve a towel for us or they would go in to use the restroom and the alligators would hiss very loudly. Of course, we would be waiting outside the bathroom door laughing as our scared friends ran out.

One night there was going to be a hard freeze. The alligators had become too large to put in the bathtub. My brothers put them in our old cadillac and covered them with blankets. Unfortunatley, it was a lot colder than it was supposed to be so the poor things froze. The 2 foot long baby one was frozen solid like a popsickle so we knew it was a goner. We waited to see if the other 2 would survive and come out of hibernation. The female never did and the large male's tail had frostbite which turned into gangrene. He had to be put to sleep. We were very sad that we let this happen to them.
imway2dumb
Gordonville, TX
(Zone 7b)

March 30, 2005
12:27 PM

Post #1372472

:-) and :-(
heycharlie
San Jacinto County, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 30, 2005
3:53 PM

Post #1372850

Haha [ :-) and :-( ]

Hey htop
Use to be stationed at Camp Bullis http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/facility/camp-bullis.htm in 1951.

On those 12,000 acres you could, probably still find Rattle Snakes to your hearts content. Big dens of them!
Many deer also and centipedes, which we dreaded cause we lived in 4 man tents. They came visiting in tha dark of night!
______
A friend kept alligators as pets. Had a few to many one night and kissed one. Once!

John
shaved to close, should have know better:
sweezel
McKinney, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 30, 2005

Post #1372896

Well, last week I saw one of those snakes that came out of hibernation... Yikes!

See this thread for the story...
http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/495161/
imway2dumb
Gordonville, TX
(Zone 7b)

March 30, 2005
7:26 PM

Post #1373224

I get the same scowl if I shave too often!
htop
San Antonio, TX
(Zone 8b)

March 31, 2005
3:51 AM

Post #1374059

heycharlie, I bet there are still lots of rattlesnakes at Camp Bullis. I haven't seen a centipede in so many years that I can't remember the last time I saw one. All those legs must have tickled a lot. I never kissed my alligators ... not even once. I guess it was because I never partook of alcholic beverages. :o) Better be careful with that shaving too close ... you don't look like a happy camper.

Sweezel, a copperhead is venomous, but its venom is not as deadly as a rattlesnake's nor coral snake's. But, it can still cause some serious side affects. I love its color and patterning. The photo you posted show it very nicely.
SudieGoodman
Broaddus, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 18, 2005
5:24 PM

Post #1410927

Zone 8b, Broaddus, near Nacogdoches, southeast TX
Thanks to all for sharing your experiences in Thread titled, TEXAS GARDNERS B E W A R E H! I'm convienced, after reading your comments, that I will definately have an add-on plant room to my home on the shores of Lake Sam Rayburn. I have seen snakes, alligators, spiders...Oh and every kind of bug and fungi.
Turkey Hill Wilderness is a Government owned/managed piece of property in Angelina National Forest, very near my home. They recently released a huge number of young Timber Rattlers there! There is also a "walking/bike trail" in the same area! IMAGINE!
I agree with Brenda Bloomer, Zone 8b, Center, TX that "the only good snake, is a DEAD snake"
In Genises God said nature was created for Adam to manage. He did not say Adam was created for nature to manage. Go figure.
Can anyone identify the 2-headed, black & white snake? Also, does anyone have a pic of the Kingsnake?
As a small child (9 years old), I encountered this one big snake which had another snake half swallowed!! I had a pitchfork in hand; I was using it to make a "playhouse from leaves" under a big tree canapy. I jammed the pitch fork prongs through the snakes. I ran about 200 yards to get GrandPa to help me deal with this trauma. When we arrived on the scene, minutes later, both snakes were gone. I can only assume, one was a "King Snake"?????
I will do a thorough study, with pictures, of each East Texas snake, on my PC.
In the meantime, my pot plants will stay on deck until my Plant Room is complete.
Stay safe!
imway2dumb
Gordonville, TX
(Zone 7b)

April 18, 2005
5:39 PM

Post #1410961

Stay calm now! Everythings gonna be fine.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

April 18, 2005
5:41 PM

Post #1410968

Well, maybe snakes were created to help Adam manage an infestation of rodents...

Keeping safe is mostly a matter of not stepping on them by accident and of giving them their space when you see them. I'm guessing we'd be astonished at the number of people bitten each year while trying to kill a snake... Let them do their thing.

You may be able to keep alligators & maybe snakes out of your planned plant room, but good luck keeping out the spiders. They have completely invaded our house. Used to be, if I found a spider, I'd carry it carefully outside so it could eat other bugs I didn't like, but I'm not quite as good about that any more since we are just overrun with them.
araness
Auburn, AL
(Zone 8a)

April 18, 2005
6:24 PM

Post #1411059

*LOL* So far I haven't seen snakes..but I can send out several Gator warnings. This is the "pet" my husband has at work. Seems they have several but this one likes to travel more than the others so he's easier to see.
mydaisy
San Augustine, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 18, 2005
7:01 PM

Post #1411122

Hey Sudie! We used to live in the Powell Park area on Rayburn. Never ever saw a rattler around there. Lots of copperheads though! Some cottonmouths too. We really miss living on the lake...especially my son. He still has the kids from Broaddus over to visit often. He played basketball with them (of course!). Now he's in Shelbyville & it's just not the same - seems they are much more into football!

Good luck avoiding the snakes! Also watch out around the blackberry bushes. :)
imway2dumb
Gordonville, TX
(Zone 7b)

April 18, 2005
7:06 PM

Post #1411136

That black and white snake is a King Snake or did someone already say that?
TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX
(Zone 6b)

April 18, 2005
8:33 PM

Post #1411343

Wasn't the two-headed one also a King? I have heard nothing but "Two headed king snake!" from my kids whenever they talk about killing rattlesnakes ever since I showed them that picture. They just don't believe me that king snakes are supposed to have only one head! LOL

Welcome to DG, araness! Glad your hubby knows the gators are there and stays clear of them. I don't think I could ever live in a place with gators around...
maggiemoo
Conroe, TX
(Zone 9a)

April 19, 2005
2:22 AM

Post #1411975

I was feeling pretty good, now I'm afraid to go out. (Shudder!) Gators, rattlers, and spiders. Oh my!

A week ago this last Sunday, in Austin, my sister almost stepped on a snake (area between her deck and driveway.) Boy were we surprised, but I was just upset I didn't have my camera handy to take a pic for this thread! He (or maybe she) seemed to be trying to shed some skin using the gravel area.
mydaisy
San Augustine, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 19, 2005
2:29 AM

Post #1411988

After reading these posts today, I rode around our property on the Gator looking for the SERPENTS! Darn, no luck. Don't worry though, I'll have some pics of our East TX Timber rattlers before too long I'm sure!
imway2dumb
Gordonville, TX
(Zone 7b)

April 19, 2005
2:55 AM

Post #1412050

Set out a piece of plywood with a board under it. Probably be a snake there before you know it!
TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX
(Zone 6b)

April 19, 2005
3:02 AM

Post #1412072

boy, aren't you the risk taker John... let's not just hunt for snakes to take pics of, let's invite them over LOL
imway2dumb
Gordonville, TX
(Zone 7b)

April 19, 2005
3:16 AM

Post #1412111

Think of it as a trap for the ones already there. Or, that its a good idea to keep your property free of stuff like that. Food for thought either way.
mydaisy
San Augustine, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 19, 2005
3:17 AM

Post #1412114

That's why we burned all the brush piles a few weeks ago...before it got too warm to be the new hangout!
TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX
(Zone 6b)

April 19, 2005
3:21 AM

Post #1412122

sheesh, Joh, just had to pick on you a little. Must be past my bedtime...
mydaisy
San Augustine, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 19, 2005
3:24 AM

Post #1412129

Don't worry TF...I'm LOL with ya!
imway2dumb
Gordonville, TX
(Zone 7b)

April 19, 2005
3:27 AM

Post #1412139

Brush piles are good wildlife habitat, though. If my brush pile brings in a venomous snake it would only be fair to bring it to a nearby wildlife refuge.
mydaisy
San Augustine, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 19, 2005
3:31 AM

Post #1412154

DH destroyed my compost pile! Can you believe it??? He found mice running around it & said the snakes would soon follow. Criminy...now he has to buy compost for me!!!
imway2dumb
Gordonville, TX
(Zone 7b)

April 19, 2005
3:36 AM

Post #1412164

Well, mice are snake food. Thats why snakes are the good guys!
cherishlife
Pocola, OK
(Zone 7a)

April 19, 2005
3:47 AM

Post #1412174

I'd much rather have my two great mousers about. I'll put up with the King Snake though. :-)
brendabloomer
Center, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 19, 2005
11:04 AM

Post #1412393

Hate to hear they have released MORE snakes around here. They did that a few years ago in the National Forrest south of Shelbyville. Several 55 gal barrels! We did see more snakes that year. I don't go out of my way to kill them or hunt them down but if they get in my path...THEY'RE DEAD!!!
imway2dumb
Gordonville, TX
(Zone 7b)

April 19, 2005
1:38 PM

Post #1412559

I do understand, Brenda, but don't close your mind to even more tolerance of these creatures as you learn, ok?
SudieGoodman
Broaddus, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 19, 2005
2:54 PM

Post #1412685

My Daisy,
Powell Park is named after my people; maiden name is Powell. We have breakfast at the Marina often. Lovely view.
I live near a large, uninhabited strip of timber.
I have a poloroid of a 7' timber rattler spotted in this area; close to our road.
Believe me, they are plentiful.
My hydrangea bushes are a cool, damp hideout for snakes, especially when our hot, dry July/August season arrives.
Yieeks
I'll not give up my lakeside, front-door-to-nature home any time soon. LOL Instead I'll build my courage & carry a big stick.

TO WHO IT MAY CONCERN;
we ran big snake back into woods, so don't come to arrest me, please.
mydaisy
San Augustine, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 19, 2005
5:46 PM

Post #1412985

LOL Sudie! The next time you're at the marina, tell Stan & Linda that Cyndye & Brad said hello. We only get down there now during deer season...yep, we still hunt there off 705. They've had my pictures on the wall of my harvested bucks from the last 3 years.

Glad to "meet" ya!
SudieGoodman
Broaddus, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 20, 2005
1:06 AM

Post #1413939

Mydaisy,

So nice to live in a small world!

I will mention you and Brad when Tom and I visit with Stan and Linda again.

Those berry vines are truly "a thorn in the flesh!" lol

Stay safe
redwill0w
Plano, TX

May 2, 2005
7:52 PM

Post #1442638

All this snake talk has me a little uneasy.
A few years ago, I moved to the Dallas area from northern NJ. I spent a lot of time in the woods there, and encountered many snakes, but never ran into a venomous one. There are only two venomous snakes in NJ - Timber rattlers and northern copperheads. I never saw either in the wild. They really were not a factor in gardening at all. Of course if there was a lot of brush to clear, or if a woodpile had to be moved, you'd watch it, but generally, we coexisted with snakes with no fright and no problems.
Things are different in TX! Do you guys wear protective gear like boots when you go out to work in your gardens and fields? Or just keep an awareness and be careful? Do you generally not swim in ponds and creeks?
TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX
(Zone 6b)

May 2, 2005
8:27 PM

Post #1442684

I often wear boots, but sometimes my open toed sandals (shame on me)

Saturday my kids were playing in a friends front yard while we loaded lumber, and he had a big hole, there was a dead baby snake. Didn't have my camera with me. Almost 12" long, gray, wiht dark grey pointed head, and an orange ring behind the head. Orange belly too. Anbody know, my kids wanted to know what kind it was???

edit'd fer spellin'

This message was edited May 2, 2005 3:28 PM
redwill0w
Plano, TX

May 2, 2005
8:53 PM

Post #1442720

Maybe a Southern ringneck snake? There's a pic here:
http://www.flmnh.ufl.edu/natsci/herpetology/fl-guide/Diadophisppunctatus.htm
TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX
(Zone 6b)

May 2, 2005
9:02 PM

Post #1442730

Maybe, looked more like this, only a bright orange ring.

http://www.flmnh.ufl.edu/natsci/herpetology/fl-guide/diadophispacricus.htm

The friend was cleaning up 7 years of debris. I will ask him to not kill those anymore...
trois
Santa Fe, TX
(Zone 9b)

May 2, 2005
9:43 PM

Post #1442795

I guess we have everything everyone is afraid of, so why are we still here? We had a large dog killed by a Cottonmouth, 10 large Muscovy ducks eaten in one night by a large gator, We have Brown Recluse spiders, which have bitten me as well as a Cottonmouth bite. We still are not afraid, but are cautious. When I mow in the summer I get The big Orb Spiders in my face repeatedly. We shoot Cottonmouths when they get on our porch or in one of our chairs. Also as the charge us as they do at times. We have had several in the Lily pond that were tame as could be until they reach about 2 feet long, then the aggression starts. DW has had to shoot a couple that tried to run her off her platform. I don't walk by the Bayou at night during warm weather because we see drag marks where tails drag, some very large, as well as footprints as large as dinner plates. I don't follow the large tracks because I might find what made them. I wish we had more Rat Snakes but the Cottonmouths have eaten almost all of them. There are no Saltwater Crocs in Texas, but lots of gators. We have several small Ribbon snakes that live under our porch. Snake repellant works for all snakes except Cottonmouths. The Cottonmouths have also eaten most if not all of our Kingsnakes. They are the only snakes that travel over land with their head held up high, and have excellent vision. The puffers you guys are referring too are spreading adders. The Hognosed snake will play dead, hiss, roar, charge, but not too close, then retreat. The big Bull snakes are the loudest hissers with the widest mouths, and scare the **** out of most people. I basically like snakes, just keep them in mind and where they belong.

Gosh, I'm long winded. Get over your fear of snakes. Respect them. They are very interesting and benificial creatures.

trois
imway2dumb
Gordonville, TX
(Zone 7b)

May 2, 2005
10:21 PM

Post #1442865

DW says she is a delicate Northerner and will have none of that.
trois
Santa Fe, TX
(Zone 9b)

May 2, 2005
10:26 PM

Post #1442872

My DW is from California and is Okraphobic.

Not scared of snakes though.
imway2dumb
Gordonville, TX
(Zone 7b)

May 2, 2005
10:33 PM

Post #1442885

So am I and hydrophobic. Mine is from Wisconsin and is snakephobic.
redwill0w
Plano, TX

May 2, 2005
10:40 PM

Post #1442899

Trois,
All I can say is, yikes!
trois
Santa Fe, TX
(Zone 9b)

May 2, 2005
10:40 PM

Post #1442904

Just don't bite anyone, please.
SudieGoodman
Broaddus, TX
(Zone 8b)

May 3, 2005
9:00 PM

Post #1445055

Sudie Goodman
Zone 8b
Broaddus, southeast TX
Lake Sam Rayburn

For Trois: You have my deepest respect for your courageous spirit.
Do you have nightmares from time to time?
I dreamed of Transelors (sp) (that really big spider) crawling on my bedroom walls. I could never be comfortable and mentally stable with that many known enemies! LOL No way!!
You and your family are on my "prayer for protection" list!

However, I am most pleased that you shared such a good description of a variety of cirtters.
You bet! I will be watchful.

I've not see the orange-neck-ring snake, SO FAR.

htop
San Antonio, TX
(Zone 8b)

May 3, 2005
9:15 PM

Post #1445085

Trois, have you ever seen a snake that has rings around its body that are yellow, light green, and a peachy color (I think those were all of the colors, may have had black as well)? It reminded me of fruity colored Life Savers, was slim bodied and about 1.5 feet long. It was the most beautiful snake I have ever seen. This one was in the flowerbed right up against the back of my house. It took of so fast I did not really have a good look at it. I have checked to see if it was a type of garden snake, but have not found one like it.
trois
Santa Fe, TX
(Zone 9b)

May 3, 2005
10:06 PM

Post #1445205

Hazel, I have not seen that one, but I am sure it is harmless. It sounds like one of the western Kingsnakes or Milksnakes. I would like to see one.

Sudie, I have no fear of snakes or spiders, even venomus ones. Growing up, I played with Trantulas, still do when I see one. They will crawl onto your hand and be nice. No problem at all. They never bite that I have heard of, but I sippose it is possible if you were hurting it.

No nightmares about anything that I remember, altho sometimes I seem to have someone else's dream as some of them are strange, but always interesting.

Enjoy being brave. It can open a new world for you.

trois
maggiemoo
Conroe, TX
(Zone 9a)

May 3, 2005
10:09 PM

Post #1445215

Oh, great! I had lots of very strange dreams last night (partly involving snakes), didn't sleep a lick. I even called in at work, I was so tired. Now I'm going to dream about spiders!
:-)
trois
Santa Fe, TX
(Zone 9b)

May 3, 2005
10:12 PM

Post #1445219

What kind of snakes? Spiders are your friends. They eat mosquitos. And roaches.
maggiemoo
Conroe, TX
(Zone 9a)

May 3, 2005
10:15 PM

Post #1445226

(Shudder) ROACHES!! Gee, thanks trois!! (running from the room screaming)

= o
imway2dumb
Gordonville, TX
(Zone 7b)

May 3, 2005
10:31 PM

Post #1445255

Spiders and snakes are truly man's best friends, Maggie! They rid of us of some our worst enemies. Flies, rodents, the list goes on and on. Please do not fear them.
maggiemoo
Conroe, TX
(Zone 9a)

May 3, 2005
10:35 PM

Post #1445259

Lol, I'm really not a "girlie" girl, but I did have an awful night of very strange dreams, mixing part of a TV show I saw, part of this thread, part of my work stresses... you name it! But roaches I just will not abide!
trois
Santa Fe, TX
(Zone 9b)

May 3, 2005
10:42 PM

Post #1445269

Import snakes. Those cute little Anole lizards eat a lot of roaches also.
salvia_lover
Modi'in
Israel

May 3, 2005
10:45 PM

Post #1445274

I agree with John and Trois. Snakes and spiders really are usually quite beneficial...just like lizards and ladybugs. But that doesn't mean I want venomous spiders or snakes in my garden where my kids play! Having said that, we DO have a rather poisonous spider in our garden, but s/he lives in a crack in the garden wall and doesn't come out...just waits for prey to come running into the web surrounding the crack in the wall. I do want my kids to be aware of the need to respect boundaries with wildlife, but I don't want them to inherit my very deep fear of spiders. So even if inside I'm shuddering and cringing, if I see a spider in the garden I actually call the kids over and say in a very cheerful voice "Wow! Look, isn't this a pretty/interesting/beautiful spider! Look it has big stripes down it's back and pretty fuzzy legs..." Same thing when I see pics of snakes here on DG or elsewhere on the internet. I really am terrified of spiders and I know it's really quite stupid...and I'd really hate for my kids to be afraid of them too just because I'm neurotic. LOL.

-Julie
trois
Santa Fe, TX
(Zone 9b)

May 3, 2005
10:56 PM

Post #1445298

Good. So few people are killed or injured by snakes or spiders it is amazing the fear persists. But then, maybe that's why so few are bitten.
imway2dumb
Gordonville, TX
(Zone 7b)

May 3, 2005
11:18 PM

Post #1445337

Julie is brave. I remember a night in a Bakersfield motel on my way back to the university. The sound of very large cockroaches running accross cardboard boxes kept me awake all night. I did NOT enjoy the drive the next day.
maggiemoo
Conroe, TX
(Zone 9a)

May 3, 2005
11:25 PM

Post #1445356

"The sound of very large cockroaches running accross cardboard boxes kept me awake all night."

I've gotta stop reading this thread.
imway2dumb
Gordonville, TX
(Zone 7b)

May 3, 2005
11:45 PM

Post #1445384

The biggest roaches I've ever seen were that night in Bakersfield, CA. That sound was unreal! But, when I think about it now its pretty funny don't cha agree?
TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX
(Zone 6b)

May 4, 2005
1:26 AM

Post #1446002

The biggest roaches I have ever seen were in Florida, called Palmetto bugs. Bug last year I saw na science show for kids about roaches. Helpoed me realize that if they didn't exist, we would have crumbs and food trash everywhere! Everything creepy crawly thing has its purpose, and most of us just need to stay away from them on purpose...

Poor maggiemoo {{{{HUGS}}}}

Good for you Julie!

No snakes here today. I have a picture of a large huntsman spider, but I WILL NOT post it :-) WE have lots of those here, and I leave them alone.

Continue to be wary...
trois
Santa Fe, TX
(Zone 9b)

May 4, 2005
1:29 AM

Post #1446008

You spent a night in Bakersfield? Nothing to add to that, John. The biggest "Palmetto bugs", flying roaches I have seen were common in Bermuda. They imported Anoles to eat them. They didn't, they ate something desirable, and a few roaches. Then they imported Kisskadees to eat the Anoles that had spread beyonf their wildest dreams. The Kisskadees then ate the Eastern Bluebirds, not the Anoles. I don't know what lives there now. That was in the 60s when we lived there.
imway2dumb
Gordonville, TX
(Zone 7b)

May 4, 2005
1:40 AM

Post #1446022

Shoot, even worked there one summer. Miserable place. I think Buck Owens is still there. Merle Haggard retired to Lake Shasta.
TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX
(Zone 6b)

May 4, 2005
5:38 AM

Post #1446897

Sounds like Bermuda is full of unfavorable bugs!
salvia_lover
Modi'in
Israel

May 4, 2005
6:52 AM

Post #1446953

John, I am NOT brave! I'll still jump from cockroaches...in front of the kids. But I have no problem with that...I don't necessarily want the kids thinking cockroaches are cool (that they have a place in the big scheme of things, perhaps...cool, NOT)! LOL I mean, if one of the kids really wanted a pet tarantula I'd let them have one (when they are teenagers and old enough to be responsible for it's care!!!). If they wanted a pet snake (non-venomous of course!) I'd let them have one. But I aint never gonna let 'em have a cockroach as a pet! ROTFL

-Julie
imway2dumb
Gordonville, TX
(Zone 7b)

May 4, 2005
7:44 AM

Post #1446978

Its cuz you're a girl, Julie. Girls do that. Doesn't mean ya'll aren't brave. Cockroachs are cool, too. They just tend to poop in all the wrong places! Not that there's anything wrong with that.
htop
San Antonio, TX
(Zone 8b)

May 4, 2005
10:19 AM

Post #1447012

I was bitten by a brown recluse spider on my thigh a few years back. Thankfully, it was a baby recluse so it was a small bite. Let me tell you, it was the worst pain I have ever experienced and the poison ate a whole into my leg about the size of a regular pencil eraser and about a half inch down into the flesh. The resulting lump around the hole was 4 inches in diameter and felt like a burning piece of charcoal was in my leg for days. It took 4 months or more to heal. I could feel the 4 inch lump for at least 3 years. I was very lucky it was a small bite. I can't imagine how awful a large recluse spider bite must feel like. If you want to see some really gross spider bites do a search on the recluse spider. Maggie, you better not do this or you may have more nightmares.

Info about what the bite looks like: if you are bitten by something and then a burning pain becomes more and more intense, the area turns red and then purplish in the center almost looking like hemoraging ... you had better go to a doctor.
trois
Santa Fe, TX
(Zone 9b)

May 4, 2005
11:15 AM

Post #1447055

Yep. Been bit by one. I did not experience intense pain but the sore takes many months to clear. DW was bitten by a Black Widow and was hospitalized, but this was before I knew her. Black Widows are very common in the Southwest, from Oklahoma to Calif. Almost every garage I was in in Calif. had Black Widows. These venoms affect different people differently. The most painful thing to me is a Paper Wasp sting. Bee don't hurt at all, just cause swelling. The Cottonmouth Bite felt like a wasp sting even though no venom was injected, as there was likely a trace of it on the fangs.
I still prefer to live here to anyplace else I can think of.

trois
imway2dumb
Gordonville, TX
(Zone 7b)

May 4, 2005
3:36 PM

Post #1447555

My Dad got a black widow bite on the butt in the outhouse when he was a kid. Very sick lad for a while. No anti venom in those days.
TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX
(Zone 6b)

May 4, 2005
4:32 PM

Post #1447687

Ouch, what an insulting experience! :-(
imway2dumb
Gordonville, TX
(Zone 7b)

May 4, 2005
4:42 PM

Post #1447723

He was a little guy but, feared nothing!
Yuska
San Antonio, TX
(Zone 8b)

May 5, 2005
5:24 PM

Post #1450264

Texas is not the only place that has slithery varmints. My brother in Oklahoma sent me this picture of one man's rattlesnake capture one afternoon down in hoot owl country. Twelve more were picked up the next day.
TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX
(Zone 6b)

May 5, 2005
9:16 PM

Post #1450697

My boys were astonished to see so many! What a catch!
salvia_lover
Modi'in
Israel

May 5, 2005
10:05 PM

Post #1450810

How'd he get them to all lay so still like that for the pic? ;-) YIKES...gives me the shivers just thinking about that many rattlesnakes in one place in Oklahoma! Ack!
imway2dumb
Gordonville, TX
(Zone 7b)

May 5, 2005
10:10 PM

Post #1450823

Julie is a silly goose!
salvia_lover
Modi'in
Israel

May 5, 2005
10:23 PM

Post #1450844

:-D
Yuska
San Antonio, TX
(Zone 8b)

May 5, 2005
10:53 PM

Post #1450890

I'm quite sure they're lying still because they're dead. The man farms near the little town of Covington in Garfield County (Enid is there also.) On April 25th he was rooting out cedar with a bobcat when he unearthed the den. Later he was told that rattlenake meat sells for $9 per lb. and there is also a market for the skins. There are 45 snakes in the picture, the longest being 51 inches. The following day's capture brought the total to 57.
trois
Santa Fe, TX
(Zone 9b)

May 5, 2005
11:05 PM

Post #1450902

You just ruined my day. I was prepaired to lecture on snake training
TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX
(Zone 6b)

May 6, 2005
1:52 AM

Post #1451238

oh trois! Julie, that is what my kids were wondering as well, I had to tell them they were ALL dead! Hope he sold the meat and skins, I would think anyone in these parts would know what that sells for. The Big Texan in Amarillo will buy your snake kills for meat, and also when there is a nice looking specimen, they taxidermy it and put it in their display in the gift shop (not for the squeamish). WHAT AM I SAYING, THIS THREAD IS NOT FOR THE SQUEAMISH!!!
trois
Santa Fe, TX
(Zone 9b)

May 6, 2005
2:25 AM

Post #1451313

I tried eating some once. Blaaaaa. Same as alligator.
TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX
(Zone 6b)

May 6, 2005
2:37 AM

Post #1451336

What's the matter trois, don't you like chicken? LOL
trois
Santa Fe, TX
(Zone 9b)

May 6, 2005
3:04 AM

Post #1451386

Not rotten smelling chicken.
htop
San Antonio, TX
(Zone 8b)

May 6, 2005
3:37 AM

Post #1451449

I skinned one of these one time and the smell was pretty bad ... used a clothespin on my nose.
trois
Santa Fe, TX
(Zone 9b)

May 6, 2005
10:55 AM

Post #1451754

I bet you didn't want to eat it, did you?
Yuska
San Antonio, TX
(Zone 8b)

May 6, 2005
1:05 PM

Post #1451926

I ate some crocodile in Australia. White meat, tough and chewy, a little like swordfish. It had been marinated in a sauce, so can't say what the flavor was - really rather bland overall.
trois
Santa Fe, TX
(Zone 9b)

May 6, 2005
1:53 PM

Post #1451988

I think that if Alligator and Rattlesnake had been soaked in wine for a few weeks, it wouldn't have smelled so bad. Other people said they could not detect any odor. They were smokers.

That was the first thing I noticed when I quit smoking, the many unpleasant odors in the world.

Later, I started smelling flowers again.

This message was edited May 6, 2005 8:55 AM
imway2dumb
Gordonville, TX
(Zone 7b)

May 6, 2005
2:04 PM

Post #1452006

That is one of the reasons I must give up the habit. I've tried and failed many times. I still have hope that it can be done! I still remember how gross my father smelled when I was a kid.
trois
Santa Fe, TX
(Zone 9b)

May 6, 2005
3:04 PM

Post #1452118

I just carried an unopened pack in my shirt pocket for 8 months, until the urge left. Sometimes I wanted to take one away from someone else that was smoking and smoke it myself.

I just kept telling myself that I was strong enough to not open that pac.

Smoke free 23 years and still alive. None of my relatives that smoked made it past 72, most died in their 60s. Non smokers usually 90s. Never lung cancer, always heart.

DW was given a choice by DR. Smoke or breath? She also free for 23 years, and in good health. Her mother died of lung cancer at 88 and was still smoking until she died.
So, STOP IT!!
heycharlie
San Jacinto County, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 6, 2005
3:18 PM

Post #1452160

Hey TF;
"WHAT AM I SAYING, THIS THREAD IS NOT FOR THE SQUEAMISH!!!"

Don't read this if ya are truly squeamish!
Story, and two pic's. Beware, Indeed!
_

The downloaded pictures are of a man who works for the US Forest Service in Alaska and his trophy bear.

He was out deer hunting last week when a large grizzly bear charged him from about 50 yards away. The guy emptied his 7mm Magnum semiautomatic rifle into the bear and it dropped a few feet from him. The big bear was still alive so he reloaded and shot it several times in the head.

The bear was just over one thousand six hundred pounds It stood 12' 6" high at the shoulder, 14' to the top of his head. It's the largest grizzly bear ever recorded in the world.

Of course, the Alaska Fish and Wildlife Commission did not let him keep it as a trophy, but the bear will be stuffed and mounted, and placed on display at the Anchorage airport to remind tourists of the risks involved when in the wild.

Based on the contents of the bears stomach, the Fish and Wildlife Commission established the bear had killed at least two humans in the past 72 hours including a missing hiker.

The US Forest Service, backtracking from where the bear had originated, found the hiker's 38-caliber pistol emptied. Not far from the pistol was the remains of the hiker. The other body has not been found.

Although the hiker fired six shots and managed to hit the grizzly with four shots (the Service ultimately found four 38 caliber slugs along with twelve 7mm slugs inside the bear's dead body), it only wounded the bear and probably angered it immensely.

The bear killed the hiker an estimated two days prior to the bear's own death by the gun of the Forest Service worker.
-
Think about this:

If you are an average size man; You would be level with the bear's navel when he stood upright. The bear would look you in the eye when it walked on all fours! To give additional perspective, consider that this particular bear, standing on its hind legs, could walk up to an average single story house and look over the roof, or walk up to a two story house and look in the bedroom windows.

heycharlie
San Jacinto County, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 6, 2005
3:20 PM

Post #1452165

Here is tha Paw!
okus

(Zone 8b)

May 6, 2005
3:30 PM

Post #1452186

Yikes, glad I didn't meet him!!
trois
Santa Fe, TX
(Zone 9b)

May 6, 2005
4:40 PM

Post #1452377

He charged himself out of existence.

Moral:

Pay cash and stay out of the Alaskan woods.
htop
San Antonio, TX
(Zone 8b)

May 6, 2005
4:47 PM

Post #1452407

trois, you are right, I passed on eating the rattlesnake.
heycharlie, thanks for the bear information and photos. I am glad that I don't have to worry about any around here.
salvia_lover
Modi'in
Israel

May 6, 2005
4:49 PM

Post #1452411

Yuska, TamaraFaye...please note the *wink* after my inquiry about the snakes. ;-) I was kidding! :-D Of course I knew they were dead.

-Julie
salvia_lover
Modi'in
Israel

May 6, 2005
4:57 PM

Post #1452430

Charlie, OMG that's a giant bear! Is the guy in the pic the guy who shot and killed the bear? I wonder if he's still shaking...I certainly would be. If I'd managed not to faint dead away when I saw the bear...and I managed to shoot him and kill him before he killed me...I'm fairly certain I'd have fainted or thrown up immediately afterwards. I hate the thought of ever killing bears, but this is apparently one instance when there was no choice. It gives me shivers just thinking about the size of that thing and no strong iron bars separating him and me! ACK!

-Julie
trois
Santa Fe, TX
(Zone 9b)

May 6, 2005
5:03 PM

Post #1452451

That was truly a giant and I am sure he could have whupped my alligator.
imway2dumb
Gordonville, TX
(Zone 7b)

May 6, 2005
5:23 PM

Post #1452511

It is good that this bear is dead. He would not have stopped. When I was in Delta Junction, Ak a young woman geologist straight out of college working alone for an oil company watched as a black bear ate both her arms. Had she been a government employee she would not have been alone. Of course they were more concerned about costs. Odd, priority.
sweezel
McKinney, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 6, 2005
5:58 PM

Post #1452559

Sorry, to burst the bubble, but this story is much embellished. No men were actually eaten...
http://www.snopes.com/photos/animals/bearhunt.asp

WARNING: The link also has a much more gruesome picture included with some of the circulating e-mails. It is at the bottom of the page so don't scroll down if you do not want to see it.

This message was edited May 6, 2005 1:01 PM
salvia_lover
Modi'in
Israel

May 6, 2005
6:14 PM

Post #1452577

Sweezel, thanks for clearing this up! OMG that's the worst photograph of this kind that I've ever seen. It's sickening. Why oh why did they include it????????? Don't they have any respect for the family left behind? Imagine being that man's wife or sister or mother...and having that photo pop up on some discussion list you were a member of! The people who circulated that pic in the first place really are sick...

-Julie
sweezel
McKinney, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 6, 2005
6:27 PM

Post #1452588

No problem. I thought it sounded a little fishy, so I thought I would check Snopes. I agree about the picture. I think some people are just sick and like to shock. Sad.
salvia_lover
Modi'in
Israel

May 6, 2005
6:38 PM

Post #1452601

The problem is, it must've been a police or forensics person who leaked this photo...no one else would've had access to that site while the investigation was taking place and you can see that it's an officer of some sort leaning over the body...rubber gloves...and therefore an officer of some sort taking the photo. So so sick!

-Julie
trois
Santa Fe, TX
(Zone 9b)

May 6, 2005
7:08 PM

Post #1452634

I wondered about deer hunting this time of year. That seemed at odds with all I know about the subject.
TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX
(Zone 6b)

May 6, 2005
7:30 PM

Post #1452743

John and Trois, go here please :-)

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/491828/

Julie, yes, I know, but by the look on my kids' faces, that is what they were thinking as well ;-)

Big bear. Last year, true story, read in two newspapers, the couple who headed the organiztion for proving that bears are really friendly were both eaten at the same time that some hunters from Fritch were on the other side of the ridge from them.

Have a great day, everyone, and watch out for SNAKES!
trois
Santa Fe, TX
(Zone 9b)

May 6, 2005
8:14 PM

Post #1452803

Now I can't find any snakes. That bird cleaned me out.
mydaisy
San Augustine, TX
(Zone 8b)

May 26, 2005
4:56 PM

Post #1498812

Okay, don't look if you're squeamish!

This timber rattler was lying in the road while DS and I were on our way home. He was face-up & you couldn't see the "yucky" when we first saw it. We stopped at the house to pick up the DC (about a mile away) & came back to take a picture. Evidently, someone ran over it again & flipped it over. 2nd one we've seen this summer. EEK!
trois
Santa Fe, TX
(Zone 9b)

May 26, 2005
5:01 PM

Post #1498823

Did you save the rattles?
vossner
Richmond, TX
(Zone 9a)

May 26, 2005
7:06 PM

Post #1499127

i promised myself I would NOT read this thread, but morbid curiosity got the best of me. Yikes, double yikes, triple yikes. Totally freaked out--going to the living room to watch dr phil.
trois
Santa Fe, TX
(Zone 9b)

May 26, 2005
7:38 PM

Post #1499199

Be calm.. Think of the poor snake.
imway2dumb
Gordonville, TX
(Zone 7b)

May 26, 2005
8:18 PM

Post #1499291

Poor snake.
TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX
(Zone 6b)

May 27, 2005
4:51 AM

Post #1500627

poor vosner, take this thread off your watch list, you don't need nightmares...

so, di dyou get the rattles?

I'd like to see a pic of a timber rattler from the top, so I know how they differ...
mydaisy
San Augustine, TX
(Zone 8b)

May 27, 2005
5:19 PM

Post #1501451

Nope, no rattles for me! & DS wouldn't go get them either! We passed by the next day & someone else got them though!
trois
Santa Fe, TX
(Zone 9b)

May 27, 2005
6:09 PM

Post #1501542

If you tie them to a tight string and rub it with violen bow rosen, it replicates the sound of a live one.

One of the dirty tricks we teenagers used to make people jump.

This message was edited May 27, 2005 1:10 PM
TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX
(Zone 6b)

May 28, 2005
5:49 AM

Post #1503034

Naughty!
NatureWalker
New York & Terrell, TX
(Zone 8b)

May 28, 2005
11:22 PM

Post #1504454

Here's a bunny picture I really like!

~* Robin
imway2dumb
Gordonville, TX
(Zone 7b)

May 28, 2005
11:27 PM

Post #1504463

Poor doggie. :-(
NatureWalker
New York & Terrell, TX
(Zone 8b)

May 29, 2005
12:06 AM

Post #1504530

No doggie. Coyote was tryin' to eat bunny !

~* Robin
imway2dumb
Gordonville, TX
(Zone 7b)

May 29, 2005
12:14 AM

Post #1504539

Poor coyote!
trunnels
Plano, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 29, 2005
1:56 AM

Post #1504763

That must be the same bunny that lives around my house! Eats everything.
imway2dumb
Gordonville, TX
(Zone 7b)

May 29, 2005
2:05 AM

Post #1504785

I have heard that Plano bunnies are mean!
trois
Santa Fe, TX
(Zone 9b)

May 29, 2005
3:02 AM

Post #1504936

I am supposed to have the meanest vine, a Rangoon Creeper, that something eats all the way to the ground.
Last night, a large pot that weighs about 40 pounds, was removed from my camel's head and was stood upright in the center of the yard about 40 feet. DW thought I had done it, and I knew she hadn't because it is too heavy. Whatever then dug most of the dirt out. I have been debating myself as to whether i want to find what ever did the dastardly deed, or if I should leave it alone. It's getting stranger every day.
NatureWalker
New York & Terrell, TX
(Zone 8b)

May 29, 2005
3:56 AM

Post #1505108

trunnels,

My brother just moved from Plano. He bought land in Terrell and built a house on it.

A tornado remodeled his old house in Plano 2 years ago, so the insurance company had to do the unremodeling. Then he sold it to get the the other house in Terrell built.

~* Robin
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

May 29, 2005
4:59 AM

Post #1505196

there Death awaits... with nasty, pointed teeth!

That picture really got me ROTFLMAO... especially since it reminded me of that fabulous bit in Monty Python's _The Holy Grail_

"For there Death awaits... with nasssty, pointed teeth!" "What, that sweet little bunny?" "Don't let him fool you -- that rabbit's a killer!" "All this fuss -- over a bunny?!?? -- I soiled my armor, I was so scared." "Aaaaaaaaaarrggghhh!"

OK, that was doubtless poorly quoted... but it's a classic scene!
NatureWalker
New York & Terrell, TX
(Zone 8b)

May 29, 2005
10:49 PM

Post #1506400

critterologist,

And here I thought no one else would remember!! LOL! ☺♪

~* Robin
TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX
(Zone 6b)

June 20, 2005
4:35 AM

Post #1561349

Saw my first snake on the place in three years! Went out at 10 Pm to get pillows off the line, and couldn't pass my corn/squash patch without looking for squash bugs. Off goes a toad one direction, and a tiny pink 8 inch snake the other, right into my unspread pile of hay mulch! I sure hope they are both eating the squash bugs, as I found NONE! Just hoping the thing was full grown, and not part of a nest in that hay...

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Texas Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
who grows peonies in houston area? vossner 20 Jun 18, 2012 7:58 PM
Texas Invasives List PvillePlanter 18 Mar 14, 2014 5:34 PM
Anyone Up For A Chat? dstartz 29 Jun 30, 2007 5:44 PM
DGrs in SW houston vossner 5 Dec 29, 2013 2:55 PM
Mock Orange in a big pot? mkjones 21 Aug 15, 2011 1:29 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America