Center, TX(Zone 8b)

The snakes are out! All this warm weather has confused them. Last night my son killed a ground rattler that was in the chair my husband had been sitting. Everyone be carefull.

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

Yep!

Lindsay, OK(Zone 7a)

I found 2 garters when I was digging around this weekend. I am more worried about my smoke tree and Jap Maple they are both budded out.

Austin, TX(Zone 8a)

Yikes, thanks for the warning. Hoped they were still sleeping. Probably means the Tarantulas are out too.
:-o

Angleton, TX(Zone 9a)

We have found 4 copperhead snakes hidden under things at our property. Yes, they are out there now and we all have to be very careful. Sure wish I did not have to worry about snakes that could harm me or my family members because it takes some of the fun of being in the big outdoors.

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

Keep in mind that although it feels like spring, it is not! A frost now would not even be a 'late' frost. Just a plain ol' frost.

John

Richmond, TX(Zone 9a)

i hate snakes, they freak me out big time. and you're right, it takes the fun out of being outside

Modi'in, Israel

Yep, venomous snakes in the garden sure dampen my gardening spirit! Last summer we had just the "right" conditions to bring all the vipers in from the countryside to the towns and cities for laying their eggs. They were nesting in private gardens all over the country and had everyone really nervous about spending time in their gardens....let alone working in the garden! There were all sorts of warnings, including "don't put your hand into any bush or plant without first poking it several times with a rake or other long object". I mean, this type of thing makes pruning and dead heading downright scary! This high alert went on for most of the summer. I sure hope the snakes find the countryside more suitable this coming summer!

Stay safe everyone!

-Julie

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

Poor critters are just trying to make a living. They try to do that in my yard and its "off with their head!" The wild ones? "Live and let live."

Modi'in, Israel

I have the same agreement with bugs and spiders and mice. In the garden, they are wonderful critters and all have their rightful place in nature. In my house is a whole different story. My house is not nature.....and any such critter that comes in does so at his own peril. ;-)

Snakes must keep a greater distance ... if I step on one while out of a hike and he bites me....it was my fault. Likewise if one comes into my garden.....I'll be screaming mad (but I'll probably pee my pants rather than do anything useful to solve the problem)! LOL

-Julie

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Let's not forget that even the venemous snakes eat lots of mice & rodents that would otherwise do a great deal of damage. I'd welcome some extra vole & mouse control around our yard! I know they can be startling, even scary, but most aren't particularly aggressive and would be happy to be left alone or given a chance to get out of the way. Of course there are exceptions.... some of the big rattlers will hold their ground, and I swear a water moccasin once chased me down a path, but most snakes won't bite or strike unless they feel extremely threatened. After all, we're not small enough to be prey, so why waste the energy in biting? On the other hand, you do have to be cautious about the possibility of stepping on one, or putting your hand right on top of one -- their camoflage can be quite remarkable!

I used to carry spiders out of the house so they could eat annoying little bugs like mosquitos. However, our house & yard has become such a spider eutopia that we are entirely overrun, and now I admit I just squash them when I find them inside. But please consider alternatives to my grandmother's approach of "EEEEKK! A snake! Get the hoe!! Chop it into bits!" Snakes are good garden citizens.

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

I know about the cottonmouths reputation however, we've had two encounters in the last three years with them and in neither case were they aggressive! I still will not allow them on my property. Just not worth the risk to my family. And, I don't think shooing them away is sufficient.

John

Conroe, TX(Zone 9a)

I just keep "No snakes allowed" signs posted around my property. Seems to work.

:-)

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I've had other non-aggressive encounters with cottonmouths, too. I think some snakes are just more territorial than others. For my money, garter snakes are about the worst-tempered ones I've ever dealt with, but at least they're relatively small and, of course, nonvenomous. Shooing snakes away won't work any better than shooing bunnies out of your garden. I'm not sure how far you'd have to transport a snake to move it to a new territory so it wouldn't return..... With bunnies, a couple of miles seems to be sufficient, but squirrels need to be driven at least 5 miles before being released. I don't have a big enough trap for the groundhogs, so if I can't get them to move along by tossing a handful of mothballs down their hole, then I have to resort to permanently dispatching them.

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

Gopher snakes are large, can put on quite a show and give a very nasty infectuous bite but, I like having them around.

Center, TX(Zone 8b)

Snakes are very aggressive right now! They have just come out and are hungery. Sorry folks but the only good snake is a dead one with one exception, I don't kill King snakes. I've several close calls!

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

Wish you didn't feel that way Brenda. :-)

Plano, TX

I don't know about any of you, but for some reason, Plano, Texas has tons of rabbits instead of snakes...we have also been getting a lot of coyotes lingering around...we had them on the news last year....I guess the development around here is invading their homes.. I hope the snakes never come into my area...cause I'll freak out and pass out and of course that snake will probably get so scared it will eat me or bite me? heh heh

Anyway, I don't think my tiny cocker spaniel will allow even a grasshopper into my yard!!

She is so fearless and keeps any rabbits or possums out!!

UGGHHH Possums are sooo ugly and scary to me!!

I'll let you know if I run into any snakes....but chances are slim (I HOPE?!)

Rose in Texas

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

Rose, the rabbit and coyote populations are linked. Both critters have adapted to developed areas, especially the wiley coyote. That species was once found only from the high plains to the Pacific Ocean. His range has now spread to every state except Hawaii.

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

LOL at MaggieMoo

I only WISH we had more snakes so we would have less vermin. However, only NON-poisonous snakes are invited...

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

My feelings exactly!!

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

OK, as a bona fide critterologist, I feel I must point out that there's no such thing as a poisonous snake. As far as I know, all snakes are perfectly safe to eat! (Tastes like chicken, I betcha!) On the other hand, some snakes are certainly *venomous*.... LOL As I've explained it to my students, if you bite the critter and you get sick, it's poisonous. If the critter bites you & you get sick, it's venomous!

Suddenly, I feel like Carolyn, reminding us for the umpteenth time on the tomato forum that "resistance" and "tolerance" are not interchangable terms! :-)

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

Ha, ha, ha!

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

boy I needed that laugh, thanks critter...

I shal make a sign "No venomous critters beyond this point", no how about
]
"Venomous snakes enter at risk of being eaten"

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

or, "prosecuted and executed." After all, this is Texas!

Conroe, TX(Zone 9a)

or, "pummelled to unconsciousness with an organic carrot"?

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

ROTFL!

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

Well, since the snakes can't read, maybe we just need a bright colored sign with a circle and a drawing of fangs, and a slash through it. Even my kids know what a circle and slash means. ;-)

This year I am planting catnip. Maybe an extra benefit will be more wild cats (preferably not pumas) and thus less mice, rats, and moles, and therefore no need for snakes.

Oh, come on, let me dream a little...

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

Hey, Fritch, I got some cats you can have!

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

.......nonononono, let me clarify. There are enough cats around, just would like them to eat at my place more often. No sending ferrel, my addy is NOT in the exchange LOL

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

Well, I tried.

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

Yeah, and don't bring any to the roundup either, I know what yur thinkin'...

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

I don't even know that!!

Conroe, TX(Zone 9a)

Methinks you doth protest too much. :-)

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

Be careful if you decide to move any large rocks. I found lots of snakes under them last year as I rearranged rocks that I was using as edging. They were all quite harmless types. I leave the snakes in my yard to do their own thing unlees they are the venemous types. The rat snakes have been very helpful with controlling the field mouse and rat problems I had been previously experiencing. I usually capture rattlesnakes that are in my yard and transport them to our deer lease. I find it difficult to kill them. At least they usually give a warning so that you know that they are there and generally are not very aggressive. I fear coral snakes and copperheads a lot more than rattlesnakes. Coral snakes latch onto you and chew for a while. Having 6 brothers and growing up with the snakes in their animal "collections" (we had a small zoo which eve included alligators), I have less fear of them than a lot of people.

Center, TX(Zone 8b)

I'm a nature lover and don't go out hunting them to kill them but.........if they get in my yard and kill my flowers their dead. Sorry critter. I have 26 acres and I only use about 2 for my flowers they can have the rest. Maybe I can up a sign "POSTED NO ANIMALS". Think it will work?

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

what are those puffy snakes called? We had some nearby last year. Now THAT would scare me...

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Snakes aren't likely to kill your flowers -- what would they do, slither them to death? -- but they'll take out some grasshoppers, mice, bunnies, etc (depending on snake size & dietary preference) that would otherwise do some damage. I agree, it's a tougher call with the venomous ones, especially if you have small children around.

"POSTED NO ANIMALS" hah! It's been my experience that critters don't read so good. As a youngster, I once posted a set of rules by the birdfeeder (take turns. no cussing.), and the birds just carried on as usual! Maybe Tamara's idea of a sign with a circle & slash symbol would work better LOL but I wouldn't get my hopes up!

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

Google puffy snakes. This was first on the list. Enjoy:
http://www.marshbunny.com/mbunny/wildlife/snake.html

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

Well, that was a cool snake story, but not the one I was thinking. I did a search on puffed snake and got a bunch of jewlery. I bet if I ask my Mom she will remember, one was found at her workstie last year LOL

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images