Today is National Banana Bread Day!

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

To celebrate, I'll be making my all-time favorite recipe:

Sour Cream Banana Nut Bread
1 stick butter (or margarine) softened
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 eggs
1/2 cup sour cream (you can substitute plain or vanilla yogurt)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 cups flour
2 large ripe bananas, mashed
1/2 cup chopped walnuts (black walnuts are my personal fave for this recipe)

Preheat oven to 350. Cream butter and sugar in mixer bowl. Beat in eggs, sour cream, vanilla and soda until creamy. Add flour gradually, mixing well after each addition. Fold in bananas and nuts. Pour into greased 5" x 9" loaf pan. Bake 45 to one hour or until toothpick inserted comes out clean. (You may need to cover the top during the last 15-20 minutes to prevent overbrowning.)

This is by far the BEST banana bread recipe I've ever tried, consistently producing moist loaves with a deliciously crisp crust.. The black walnuts were always added to my grandma's banana bread, and I think they are a perfect flavor complement to bananas. But they're not for everyone - you can leave out the nuts, or use plain English walnuts if preferred.

IMHO, this bread is even better the next day if you cover it with a tea towel overnight ;o)

Anyone else have a favorite banana bread recipe to share?

Oostburg, WI(Zone 5b)

This is my favourite:

Banana Bread
c. sugar
1/3 c. oil
2 eggs
1 c. mashed ripe bananas (about 2 large)
1 c. flour
t. baking soda
t. salt
c. chopped nuts
t. grated lemon rind

Beat together sugar, oil and eggs. Stir in bananas and rind.
Sift together flour, soda and salt. Add to banana mix and stir until combined.
Fold in nuts. Pour into greased 9x5 loaf pan. Bake 50-60 min at 325.
Bake in greased tin can for round loaves. Cool on wire rack.

south of Grand Rapid, MI(Zone 5a)

Yum = copied these off to try!! Here' s my all time favorite:

2/3 c wh. sugar
1/3 c soft oleo
2 eggs
Cream the above together

Stir in:
3 T sour milk
1 c. bananas

Sift together and stir in:
2 c flour
1 t. baking powder
1/2 t baking soda
1/2 t salt

blend in 1/2 c nuts
Bake @ 350 deg for 50-60 min
9x5x3 inch pan or 2 smallpans

Let stand 20 min before baking

Savannah, MO(Zone 5b)

Terry I have a good banana bread recipe called banana banana bread thats good but I don't have my recipe at this time. I'm a new member trying to find my way around and Iv'e discovered this recipe section and saw your recipe that sounds good. Is it really banana bread day?

It sure is: http://www.foodreference.com/html/html/february23.html

waukesha, WI(Zone 5a)

Oh Dang!! We ate up both bananas last night on a banana split!

Tulsa, OK(Zone 7a)

when husband was here i made it all winter but not now i'd eat it all oh wait i can make it i have tazzy and Dan.. ah yes... love it.. my hus. daughter always put choco. chips and marachino cherries in hers i do not like it that much in it...so now think will make couple loafs yes next day so much better...

Savannah, MO(Zone 5b)

BANANA BANANA BREAD :2 cups all-purpose flour,1 teaspoon baking soda,1/4 teaspoon salt, 1/2 cup butter (or margarine), 3/4 cup brown sugar,2 eggs (beaten),2-1/3 cups mashed very ripe bananas, and I add 1 teaspoon of vanilla Directions: preheat oven to 350F. Mix flour, b. soda, and salt. Cream butter and brown sugar in another bowl. Now stir your ripe bananas(mashed) into the flour mixture and stir until mixed and just moist. Pour this batter into a greased( I use spray doesn't everybody?) loaf pan. Bake for 60 to 65 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean. This is very good with about 1 gallon of milk (skim milk of course!).

Kennewick, WA(Zone 6b)

Had no idea that it was banana bread day.

I just took some banana bread out of the oven!

The girls have friends riding the school bus home today. All of their friends love it when I bake something. Don't think my girls have any friends whose moms cook.

Terry - I made your bread (had yogurt that I had to use up~!!) It turned out wonderfully - baked it in two pans instead of one. DH said it was better than mine - moister.. He did say that mine was good too, just not as moist. LOL, I think he was afraid I would be mad! Heck, I don't care!! Gonna wrap it up now and save for company tomorrow!!

Awww, shucks. I'm so glad you liked it!

I can't take credit for the recipe - I was just lucky enough to spot it in a newspaper or magazine a long time ago, and cut it out. But I can honestly say it's the best recipe I've ever found for banana bread. I sometimes make it in two smaller loaves, or even the mini-loaf pans for gifts ;o)

OC, CA & Twin Lakes , IA(Zone 4b)

Rave of the Kentucky Round-Up ~ Found this in the DG Cookbook:

SoCal's Banana Chocolate Chip Bread

Category: Breads, rolls, and pastries

Ingredients
1 1/2 cup flour
1 tea. baking soda
4 T. Sour Cream
1 1l4 cup sugar
1/2 c. soft butter
2 eggs
1 cup mashed bananas (2-3 very ripe)
1 large bag Semi sweet choc. chips
1 tea. vanilla
1 cup walnuts (optional)

Instructions
Sift flour 3 times and set aside.
Mix together sour cream and soda, set aside.
Cream butter with sugar until light & fluffy.
Add eggs one at a time, beat well between each egg.
Add flour and sour cream mixture.
Stir in bananas, choc. chips, vanilla and walnuts.

350 deg.
Bake in a greased loaf pan - 50-60 min.
May be baked in 3 mini size loaf pans - 40 min.
Check with toothpick

Donna (SoCal)

Extra Notes
This is my Sister in laws recipe and she bakes tons of these for the holidays for family and friends. Once you taste this, you will be the hit of the family. It is a very rich tasting bread, but so good.

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

I made this recipe this morning. I used the smaller 8x5?? foil pans for holiday gifts.
a double recipe made 3 loafs.

i also added mini chocolate chips
and didnt have walnuts [ended up using them all in cookies last week]
so i used pecans.

awesome recipe!!

I'm so glad you liked it! I broke over and used a cream-cheese recipe (lots of pecans and an orange glaze - looks pretty!) from Southern Living this year, and to be honest, I don't like it as well as the sour cream recipe :-(

I'll go back to this one, and just borrow the pecan topping and glaze idea in the future ;o)

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

I decided to make more so i ran to the store for more of the foil pans... and half way home i realized i forgot to get bananas!! i wasn't going back....

so i found a chocolate recipe in a different thread.
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/463588/
and made it instead.... but i printed out recipe cards and put them with each loaf of bread.

Crossville, TN(Zone 6b)

Terry, on your recipe you said you placed a towel over the bread overnight. Did you cover it it completely? Like you would do with Saran wrap? Or,just make a tent over it? I was thinking it might dry out. Towel is porous. Linda

I just loosely wrap it in the towel - it's a moist bread, and the crust is better (IMO) if it isn't wrapped in foil or plastic wrap.

But you could wrap it once it's completely cooled - especially if you want to go ahead and freeze it, or you're preparing it for gift-giving.

Tempe, AZ(Zone 9a)

Terry, I am so glad your recipe was resurrected. I was not around in 2005. But, I could not wait until National Banana Bread Day. I tried it today and it was the best banana bread I've ever had. My husband is a man of few words but he too said it was the best he has ever eaten. It is light, moist and flavorful and has a wonderful crunchy crust. Thank you for this wonderful recipe.

You're very welcome - I'm happy to share it! I've tried dozens of "best" banana bread recipes, and this is still my all-time favorite ;o)

Minneapolis, MN(Zone 5a)

A big bump for Banana Bread...

-South Central-, IL(Zone 6a)

Thanks, treelover!

LOL....I just made a batch of Terry's banana bread today and it is absolutely the best. I've never had a batch turn out dry...moist and wonderful!! YUM> DGS had 4 pieces of it and wanted to take a loaf home!

;o)

I made some today too. One thing I learned today: do NOT overfill the pans. (I upped the recipe by 50% and divvied it among four mini-loaf pans - I should have kept the original proportions, or used a fifth loaf pan.)

I can smell it from here :)

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Has anybody tried freezing this after baking it? Seems like it should work... I'm trying to find some make-in-advance possibilities for next month's Tea Party / Seed Swap. :-)

Critter, yes it does freeze well - just let it cool completely then wrap in waxed paper or foil, then put it in a freezer-safe plastic bag.

Waddy, KY

I freeze banana zucchini bread and it keeps quite well. I put it in a regular storage bag and then drop it down in a freezer bag. I let it thaw in the freezer bag and then am able to remove a dry storage bag. All the condensation is on the freezer bag and not the one the bread's in.

I meant to add a second thought - if your bananas are ready now, but you're not, there's another option. Peel them, mash them, and put them in a baggie and freeze them. When you're ready to make the bread, pull them out a few hours ahead of time and let them thaw, then add them to the batter just like freshly-mashed fruit.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6a)

that's perfect Terry, thanks. I've got some "ready to weep all over the counter" bananas and I won't be ready til Sunday afternoon :)

Dea, you're welcome. I'm happy to pass along that nifty little tip I discovered a long time ago. I almost always have a bag of frozen, mashed bananas on hand, so anytime I'm in a mood to make banana bread they're ready. And as an added bonus, overripe bananas rarely go to waste. ;o)

Pensacola, FL(Zone 8b)

Here is a great Banana Bread recipe it is from the silver palate cookbook!!

8 tablespoons (1 stick) sweet butter at room temperature
3/4 cup granulated sugar
2 eggs
1 cup unbleached flour, all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup whole wheat flour
3 large bananas mashed
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/1 cup shelled walnuts, coarsely chopped

1.Preheat oven to 350F. Grease a 9x5x3 inch baking pan.
2.Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
3.Sift alll purpose flour, baking soda, salt , stir in whole wheat flour and add to creamed mixture, mixing well.
4.Fold in mashed bananas, vanilla and walnuts.
5.Pour mixture into the prepared pan. Bake for 50-60 minutes or until a cake tester incerted in the center comes out clean. Cool in pan for 10 minutes, then on a rack.

Hope you guys enjoy!!!

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Thanks for letting me know it'll freeze just fine!

Mashing the ripe bananas before freezing is probably a good idea... but if you're really in a rush, you can just toss the blackened things into the freezer and pull them out when you're ready. Put them in a freezer bag if you think they'll be there more than a few days. The peel comes off easily, and they're good for smoothies, too.

Yep! Thanks for bringing that to my attention, too. I have thrown a lot of bananas away, and this will be a perfect thing to do.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Of course, using my hurried approach, you run the risk of a little avalanche of frozen black bananas landing on your neck as you bend down to wrestle something out of the bin at the bottom of the freezer...

Not a problem for me, I've got a side-by-side. :)

I've got a side-by-side, and I still manage to get hit on the head - usually by a half-gallon carton of ice cream teetering precariously on top of a stack of veggies or coffee beans ;o)

Waddy, KY

I give lessons on how to stack a proper freezer and refrigerator....LOL! I try to never let my hubbie get in either as he doesn't have the touch and usually ends up with something on the floor!

Terry, your frige sounds like my frige!!!

OC, CA & Twin Lakes , IA(Zone 4b)

Have it baking in the oven this morning; the aroma is great!

Terry,I'm guessing you used plain flour & not self-rising??
Black walnuts is my favorite,too; but have used pecans,which is good also.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.