AuthorContent
OldFlowerGirl
Castlegar, BC
(Zone 6b)

February 23, 2005
8:28 PM

Post #1304855

Hi ginnylynn.

Hope you'll drop in to our little forum and tell us about yourself and your garden. I am sure you are enjoying DG's. It's a great place. Lots of nice people and lots of valuable information.

Donna from the Southern Interior of B.C.

Thumbnail by OldFlowerGirl
Click the image for an enlarged view.

MG99
Victoria, BC
(Zone 8b)

February 23, 2005
10:15 PM

Post #1305010

Welcome from sunny Vancouver island
ceedub
Whitby, ON
(Zone 5b)

February 24, 2005
12:57 AM

Post #1305284

Welcome ginnylynn from another snowbound Ontarian. You'll love it here, and forget all about the snow...lol.
Christine.
jagonjune
Edmonton, AB
(Zone 3a)

February 24, 2005
1:27 AM

Post #1305339

welcome from the prairies ginnylynn, glad to have you aboard
dillpickle
Winnipeg,, MB
(Zone 3a)

February 24, 2005
2:01 AM

Post #1305403

Welcome ginnylynn

nightowl2
Campbell River, BC
(Zone 8a)

February 24, 2005
2:52 AM

Post #1305494

Welcome ginnylynn. I'm sure you'll enjoy it here at Dave's.
ginnylynn
Blyth, ON
(Zone 5b)

February 24, 2005
3:59 PM

Post #1306120

Wow - I certainly didn't expect this warm welcome! Thanks so much everyone. I'll be more than happy to tell you a little about myself, my gardens, and my garden "PLANS", probably more than you really want to know I'm so excited about them :-)

Myself and my fiance live in the small rural village of Blyth Ontario (about 20 minutes east and slightly north of Goderich). Many of you may know that Blyth was a previous winner of the Communities in Bloom contest - twice I think - so my passion for gardening has been kicked up a few notches since moving there last fall.

We have a large lot with a few things we put in last summer/fall, including a 20' x 20' octagon outlined with graduated levels of railway ties that contains two different sizes of ponds, and two mini "mountains" with waterfalls going into the ponds and tunnels underneath for the outdoor trains once we get the tracks and bridges laid - one of our spring projects for this year.

Now for the grand PLANS (heeheehee, my fiance gets nervous when I mention that word). They are ambitious, I'll admit, so will happen over three or four years.

Our front yard (approx. 50' W x 18' D) has three mature maple trees running along the property line, so I have shade, dappled shade, and light shade there, depending on how far from the trees you look. I'm planning to put in a woodland garden there this spring. I also plan on a six foot deep foundation planting around the exposed areas of the house. LOTS of plants that need to cover the gamut from deep shade to partial shade to full morniing sun. I'll take pictures of my diagrams if anyone is interested and post them here.

Next spring we will be replacing two old sheds on one side of the back yard with one larger shed in a slightly different position to allow room for a new - sunken - flagstone patio with garden surrounding it, etc. My fiance is going to build a wrought iron fence to go behind this garden, between the garage and the new shed to give the new area some structure.

The following year we plan to put in a 68' stream (winding over a 45' run) at the back with lots of those great wetland plants: pussy willows, cattails, marsh marigolds, etc. Since we have to build this part of the land up about a foot to give the stream slope we will also be building a low 2' high stone wall at the property line to contain any runoff or accidental spillage but not making it an obvious and un-neighbourly barrier.

That's as far as I've gotten in my planning so far. I'm sure you'll be hearing lots from me in the future!

--Ginny
(PS - To MG99: I spent almost three years on Vancouver Island - 2 1/2 in Victoria and almost 6 months in Port McNeil - in the early 70's. Sure wish I was there now enjoying the balmy weather!)
brugcrazy
Vancouver Island, BC
(Zone 8b)

February 24, 2005
5:18 PM

Post #1306246

Welcome from Campbell River. The sun has been shining for weeks but they are threatening rain for next Monday.
OldFlowerGirl
Castlegar, BC
(Zone 6b)

February 24, 2005
5:23 PM

Post #1306250

WOW! Those are some aspirations, Ginny. I can't wait for the photos to be posted as work progresses. Sounds like a labour of love too. Good Luck with your project. Sounds like it will be spectacular when you are finished. Be sure and visit often. :Donna
inanda
Winnipeg, MB
(Zone 2b)

February 24, 2005
6:13 PM

Post #1306337

Welcome from another Ginny. I';ll be Ginny AB -for able seaman - from now on. when I remember. - lol

You sound so organised with your plans. Particularly like the sound of the stream.

What is age of your your house - I mean victorian and needing a victorian cottage garden or new, needing anything you want across the front or a wooden farm house type??? Climbers all across the front as a backdrop. Roses - clematis, tall lilies -of course - pseudacorus - tall yellow iris or maybe spuria if you don't want yellow. What excitement, planning a whole new garden from scratch.
Like a painter with a totally blank canvas.

Would love to see pix of your 3 tiered garden in the spring. Does the water bring lots of birds:

Ginny AB
ginnylynn
Blyth, ON
(Zone 5b)

February 24, 2005
8:01 PM

Post #1306582

Hi Ginny AB! What a lark to have another Ginny out here.

The original part of our single story house is somewhere in the neighbourhood of 100 years old, but has had some work more recently. A side porch was converted to a den, a small sort of mud room was added at the back, and the exterior has been upgraded (white vinyl siding, black shutters, new roof - also black, updated larger windows). It's still not very large but is more than sufficient for the two of us us. After all, I wouldn't want my house to interfere with my gardens now would I :-) I would describe the house as a typical Ontario Cottage style, but in white vinyl rather than brick, stucco, or clapboard.

Cottage garden is a little too unrestrained for both mine and my fiance's taste - classic country casual is probably how I would describe our preferred look if I had to categorize it. Not formal or circumscribed, not wild or "out-of-control". Something with just enough structure to give it form and uncluttered but not spare. I love wild bursts of colour, especially yellows and reds, and unexpected "finds" to please visitors to my gardens and lead them to wonder what else they might find just a little further on.

I'm just lovin' this whole design thing. It's a very satisfying experience all by itself.

Take care all!

--Ginny
PerennialGirl
Winnipeg, MB
(Zone 4a)

February 24, 2005
11:51 PM

Post #1307019

Welcome, Ginnylynn! DG is a great group! You'll learn alot here.
:) Donna
Roselaine
North Vancouver, BC
(Zone 8a)

February 25, 2005
5:53 AM

Post #1307559

Hello, and welcome! Elaine from North VAncouver

Lilypon

Lilypon
Moose Jaw, SK
(Zone 3b)

February 25, 2005
1:27 PM

Post #1307676

Welcome aboard Ginnylynn from Pam in Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan.
spklatt
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

February 25, 2005
10:47 PM

Post #1308711

Hi Ginny,
Welcome to DG and the Canadian Trading forum!!! Your house, yard and gardening plans sound just great. If you have a camera, we'd all love to see some pics sometime...whether it's landscape-construction chaos, or whatever!

BTW, we're having our first-ever Canadian Round-Up in Victoria, 1-5 April - here's the most recent planning thread.

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/482587/

I know it's short notice and a long way away, but if you could make it that would be really great. If not, we'll post lots of pics & reports, and maybe next time it'll be a little further east for us! lol

Enjoy surfing through DG; there's lots of good info and friendly folks here.

Shannon, waving hi from Gatineau
ginnylynn
Blyth, ON
(Zone 5b)

February 28, 2005
11:38 AM

Post #1312424

Hi to everyone. I wondered what RU meant :-) Unfortunately I won't be able to make it this year. Too bad - I would just love to be in Victoria in April again! I will definitely look forward to the pics.

I will also get pics posted of our property as soon as I get the chance, and before we start any more work. But right now all you would see is about 3 or 4 feet of snow LOL. I can't believe how much snow we got this year!

Bye-bye from Blyth...Ginny
JoSnoop
Fredericton, NB
(Zone 5a)

March 1, 2005
12:14 AM

Post #1313682

Hi Ginny, welcome from down east -where we have no snow - just sunshine ! (MG99 don't burst my bubble - I'm just thinking about Australia right now) LOL! Ginny, you're going to have alot of us looking for pics - but it'll be fun. See you around the gardens. . .
Joanne
ginnylynn
Blyth, ON
(Zone 5b)

May 15, 2008
6:57 PM

Post #4955876

Hey everyone. I was (finally) going through my list of watched threads today to clean up some of the old ones that no one will ever post to anymore and found this welcom thread that was started for me back in 2005. Just for fun I thought I'd resurrect it and compare my grand PLANS to reality :-)

1. We still have the octagon, and it actually has trains in it, but it was redesigned twice before we were happy with it. Right now the design plan is complete but the actual work isn't. (current status of octagon: http://davesgarden.com/community/blogs/t/ginnylynn/4368/ )

2. The woodland garden did indeed get installed in the spring of 2005. In this, its third year, it is really beginning to take off finally (it's true - 1st year sleep, 2nd year creep, third year leap). The 6 foot deep foundation planting didn't go in until 2006, and it has yet to go around the side of the house. It's still only in the front. (at time of original planting: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/513462/ )

3. The two old sheds finally got replaced with one new larger one, but in 2007 not 2006. The sunken patio got started last year as well and is due to be completed this year, but the plan for wrought iron fencing seems to have completely fled my DH's mind :-)
( http://davesgarden.com/community/blogs/i/32797/ )

4. I'm still craving that stream, but it may not be quite as ambitious as originally planned (68' winding over a 45' run). It's also not likely to happen until next year or the year after, since I'm completely redesigning my back gardens this year. Once that's done I can see then what will suit it best.

So, that's my little trip down Nostalgia Lane :-) Anyone else?

--Ginny
sanannie
White Lake, ON
(Zone 4b)

May 18, 2008
5:28 PM

Post #4969086

Hey, that's interesting, Ginny! I'd say you are doing very well with your vision.

It would be interesting to know what my plans were when I signed up for DG. It took me a while of lurking until I jumped in. I know one thing - I wouldn't have near the gardens that I do now if it wasn't for the inspiration and shared knowledge that I get from DG.

Sandy
jagonjune
Edmonton, AB
(Zone 3a)

May 18, 2008
9:45 PM

Post #4970045

you spooked me ginny when i saw the beginning without noticing the date - I thought Donna had come back! disappointed - miss her.
ginnylynn
Blyth, ON
(Zone 5b)

May 19, 2008
1:58 PM

Post #4973214

I'm sorry for that. I know what you mean - I miss her too :-(
ginnylynn
Blyth, ON
(Zone 5b)

May 20, 2008
3:34 PM

Post #4978357

I know what you mean about the knowledge sharing and inspiration to be found here at DG Sandy. I would still have gardens but they probably wouldn't be as satisfying as they are - I would have made a lot more mistakes than I have I'm thinking!

--Ginny

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Canadian Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Brugmansia 'culebra' available Dennis_taylor 6 Nov 12, 2007 5:22 PM
Rice Lake, ON OhioBreezy 27 Sep 19, 2007 7:46 PM
Hi from Québec / Saskatoon spklatt 53 Sep 8, 2008 11:40 PM
Petunia 2 u 2 DCarrington 44 Apr 14, 2013 11:01 AM
My Garden is Now Underway DCarrington 129 Feb 2, 2009 6:40 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America