-
AuthorContent
mkjones
Aurora, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 27, 2005
3:13 AM

Post #1310484

for a in-full-sun, fence-encompassing trellis that my husband is putting across the backyard. We're doing to camouflage the crummy wood fencing of two houses that our yard spreads against. I'm THRILLED that he's letting me plant vines! What will be beautiful as a backdrop, AND remain "evergreen" for the winter??

Thanks!
MKJ
konkreteblond
Burleson, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 27, 2005
3:48 AM

Post #1310520

Try a Crossvine. Mine got so big that I cut it all down to 2 main stalks and am starting over.
mkjones
Aurora, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 27, 2005
3:52 AM

Post #1310570

I JUST read that cross vine is evergreen--it's that good then? GREAT! Seems very similiar to trumpet vine. =)

MKJ
konkreteblond
Burleson, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 27, 2005
3:58 AM

Post #1310577

It has been a really good plant that hasn't had any type of problem. It's leaves turn purplish in the fall and it has great blooms for hummers. It's better than the trumpet vine tho because it does not spread like they do!! My parents are currently trying to rid their entire bed/yard of a Trumpet vine that spread. I got my vine at Lowe's a few years ago and I'm sure they will carry them this year.
MitchF
Lindsay, OK
(Zone 7a)

February 27, 2005
3:59 AM

Post #1310581

You can also look at honeysuckle. We cut it back hard in the fall and spring and it still fills out and fills our space really well. It can get out of control but if you spend so time it is well worth the effort.
Sunshine365
Austin, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 27, 2005
5:59 AM

Post #1310689

How about primrose jasmine. I had a hard time finding it, though everyone around here has it. It is not a vine, but looks like one due to it's arching habit. I have seen it as high as 6-7 ft and gets yellow small flowers in the spring. It does very well in our area. It is very easily propagated by stem cuttings.

frostweed

frostweed
Josephine, Arlington, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 1, 2005
10:03 PM

Post #1315191

Hello MKJONES, the Crossvine is an excellent choice, It stays green all year and never has any pests or deseases, mine has been on my fence for seven years and some of the branches are 50 feet long. It is not invasive and the bloom in the spring is spectacular.
Another good chiece is Carolina Jasmine, also evergreen and pest free with yellow blooms.
They are both native to Texas.
Josephine,
mkjones
Aurora, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 2, 2005
12:12 AM

Post #1315431

Well, I am DEFINITELY going to try the cross vine then, Josephine! It just sounds too good to pass up--although, I can hardly help myself...just bought a variegated honeysuckle that I'll stick in there somewhere...along with the carolina jessamine that just HAD to come home f/the garden center w/me...;-)

What's the scientific name of cross vine?

MKJ
maggiemoo
Conroe, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 2, 2005
1:27 AM

Post #1315547

bignonia capreolata (hope i got that right, i'm typing with a cat on one arm.)

a yr ago i carefully cultivated a spot to plant one i bought, cleared all the 'trash" vines that were growing on the fence, from my neighbor's side. turns out it was crossvine! i just never pd att to them before.

frostweed

frostweed
Josephine, Arlington, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 2, 2005
1:31 AM

Post #1315554

It is called Bignonia Capreolata, and I know what you mean about Honeysuckle, I also have some Japanese honeysuckle because the scent is so heavenly and I love to smell it in the evenings, you just have to keep it under control.
Josephine.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Texas Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
who grows peonies in houston area? vossner 20 Jun 18, 2012 7:58 PM
Texas Invasives List PvillePlanter 18 Mar 14, 2014 5:34 PM
Anyone Up For A Chat? dstartz 29 Jun 30, 2007 5:44 PM
DGrs in SW houston vossner 5 Dec 29, 2013 2:55 PM
Mock Orange in a big pot? mkjones 21 Aug 15, 2011 1:29 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America