Mock Orange in a big pot?

Aurora, TX(Zone 8a)

I'd LOVE one of these beauties--anyone grow these in a pot 'round here?

THANKS =),
MKJ

Conroe, TX(Zone 9a)

MKJ,

I'll be visiting Arbor Gate (a nursery that sells Mock Orange) on Wednesday, I'll ask them about this.

Center, TX(Zone 8b)

I have a Mock Orange in my yard that I planted last year. Didn't do much and will watch this thread to see if I'm taking proper care of it.

(Zone 8b)

I would think it would need to be a very big pot! Back in the UK I've had them 12 feet tall with a similar spread. There pretty tough - should be OK in the ground but I suggest not in the full Texas sun all day.

Conroe, TX(Zone 9a)

Oops! I forgot to report back. When I asked about this at The Arbor Gate, they said that this plant can tolerate poor soil, that its habit is much like the bridal wreath spirea- open and arching branches. She said it can be kept pruned back for size, and I forgot to ask about growing it in a container. (Sorry, I guess I need to write my questions down. I get so excited about being in the middle of all those plants, I forget everything else! :-) )

Aurora, TX(Zone 8a)

Thanks anyway, maggiemoo! I got my variegated mock, and I put her into the ground.....smilingly in the "poor soil" you mentioned it could tolerate! I amended a bit, but still. =)

Can't wait to watch the progress.

MKJ

Conroe, TX(Zone 9a)

Keep us updated. I'd love to see pictures!

Josephine, Arlington, TX(Zone 8a)

Hello Everyone, I have this lovely mock orange that I planted about 25 years ago. It is the small folwering kind, I don't know the variety, but it is about 12 feet tall and covered with flowers now. The scent is heavenly, and it looks so pretty. Actually I have 3 of them,
I propagated from cuttings, I don't give them any special care, except pruning occasionally and regular watering.This is how it looks rigth now.

Richmond, TX(Zone 9a)

wow, double wow, frostweed

Aurora, TX(Zone 8a)

Beautiful, frostweed!! Those mock oranges just WANT to do well, don't they? =) My little seedling that I ordered has put on tons of leaves, and already has a chunk of buds going as well! It's only a foot tall, and the variegation is just lovely........it's in the crappiest of soils and yet only seems to want nice watering.

=) MKJ

Bastrop, TX(Zone 8b)

Frostweed and other viewers:
This thread came up in my search for mock orange honeysuckle. Can you guys help me figure out what I actually have?
I was given a shrub labeled "Mock Orange Honeysuckle". I think it is a native plant. I need help in figuring out its true name and identity. I'm trying to figure out whether it would do best planted in dappled shade or in a sunnier spot. It blooms only once, in the spring, and the flowers are smallish, like that of the fragrant honeysuckle, but the leaves are more round. I will post a photo of the plant, but don't have one of the very fragrant white blooms it had in spring. Thanks for any help with this mystery plant.

Hello Ginny, it could be Winter Honeysuckle, Lonicera fragrantissima, check this out.
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/183468/

Here is another link
http://www.ag.auburn.edu/hort/landscape/dbpages/343.html

I hope this helps.
Josephine.

Bastrop, TX(Zone 8b)

Yes, Frostweed, that is definitely what I've got. I recognize the flowers in the photos as what my shrub has. Thanks!
Is it evergreen?

It is almost evergreen in zone 8 so probably evergreen in your zone.
Josephine.

(Maggi) Big Sandy, TX(Zone 8a)

You can plant this one anywhere you want, shade or sunny. It is evergreen here in N Texas. If you have several plants around the place the smell is wonderful.

Fredericksburg, TX(Zone 8a)

I'm glad I found this thread. I've been looking for something like this. Do you cut it down to the ground or will it just fill out again in spring?

You don't need to cut it down, just trim as necessary to keep it the size you want.
Josephine.

Fredericksburg, TX(Zone 8a)

That's great news Josephine. Thanks.:)

Hot Springs, AR(Zone 7b)

Does anybody know what happened to Kay???? I sure do miss her!

Daisy

Windom, TX

I bought a "Wheeler's Dwarf" Pittosporum on sale this weekend. Sometimes it is referred to as a dwarf mock orange. I am trying it in a container and plan to prune into a small evergreen tree for my south facing deck. I may have to baby it along if we get some cold weather.

Aurora, TX(Zone 8a)

Upon moving last June (2010), I learned that a Mock Orange will *thrive* if put into the ground in full sun. He blooms, puts out new branches -- it's great!

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

MKJ....so sweet of you to pull up this thread and share that important tip!! Glad your mock orange is thriving!

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.