Fabulous idea for hiding shed!!

(Taylor) Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

I've been doing a lot of travelling back and forth to Denton, lately, and kept seeing this. I finally remembered to bring my camera and take a shot. This is a house on the edge of Denton, and they've cleverly painted the shed!
I love it!
They even made it 3-D by adding the trellis arbor material on the outside, and some silk roses. The rest of the 3-D is just clever use of paint. They did a great job, and I'm also quite impressed with how close a match the color of the painted bricks is, to the color of the real bricks on the house!
Bravo!
(if you see this and it is yours, I didn't mean to steal your thunder, just wanted everyone else to be able to appreciate it, too!) :)
-T

This message was edited Mar 3, 2005 3:53 PM

Thumbnail by seedpicker_TX

Here is a broader view from the street, where I stood to take the picture:

Thumbnail by seedpicker_TX
Knoxville, TN(Zone 7a)

That is pretty cool!!

in Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Wow ! Great idea. They put allot of work into that. thanks for the picture.
Patti

Kannapolis, NC(Zone 7b)

Wow. That's a fabulous idea. Thanks for sharing. I wish I was talented to do something like this

Crossville, TN

Just great! No grass to mow and no weeds to pulll...but looks beautiful. Jo

yes, and blue roses ALWAYS in bloom! lol...
-T

Precipice Valley, BC(Zone 2a)

What a great idea--I'm going to steal it as soon as I have a shed!

Conroe, TX(Zone 9a)

Shazaam!

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

very cool!

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

Beautiful! I wonder if they did it themselves or hired someone.
:) Donna

North Vancouver, BC(Zone 8a)

that is unique!!!!!!!!! I hope no one tries to walk the path (on the wall, ie.)

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 2b)

That is really lovely. Sometimes I will pop a note in the mailbox, saying how much I've enjoyed the whatever.
inanda

(Zone 8b)

Wow! That's great! Someone is talented! My husband built a lattice panel type thing to help hide my neighbors shed, but it's not as elaborate as this one. Very nice.

Moscow, TN(Zone 7a)

That is so clever. I am not that good of an artist though.

Olathe, KS(Zone 6a)

WOW! It's taken me several minutes of staring at that to figure out the actual scale and depth of it all. Does the building really begin at the end of the concrete approach? I can't tell how far the building is set behind the house. The picture makes look like they lay corner to corner. I've almost given myself a headache trying to figure out what is really what.
phew> lol I've been squinting for several minutes going from pic to pic, I think I've finally figured it out.
I'm so very inspired now and I just happen to have an ugly shed that sits on the very back right edge of an acre lot with a pond 20ft. behind the proprty line. I hated destroying our view but we had to get more storage back there. I think with my wife's artistic abilities and my ability to paint and follow her left handed orders, we're gonna try to pull this off too.
If/when this begins, I'll take pictures along the way.
We have been looking at this shed for 2 years now and have been trying to camo it in with the woods around it. This is either going to be really really cool or just look like a very stupid waste of time and money!LOLOL
Thanks so much for the inspiring photo!
JD

Prospect Park, PA(Zone 7a)

This looks like a professional muralist did it. If not, whoever painted it SHOULD be a professional muralist!

Wenonah, NJ

This reminded me of something we did over ten years ago. In an attempt to disguise an old, typical metal shed in our driveway, I asked my teen son to quickly sponge paint a huge, oriental looking plant on the two doors (in a pot). It was easy for him to do and came out quite nice. Several years ago, we finally replaced the old shed with a wooden barn. I just couldn't throw the metal doors away so my husband saved them. I finally decided to have my husband "frame" them with cedar and we attached it to the wall of our deck over a a shelf for putting candles, etc. Instant art work! My son used regular left over house paint when he did it and it has held up for thirteen years! If I can figure out how to download a picture to my computer, I'll post one.

Sounds lovely, and with great sentiment, too!
Yes, please share a picture

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I like to stencil. Here are my shed doors done a few years ago. Inever got around to adding the cat and the mouse - maybe next year?

Thumbnail by fancyvan

Very nice...where did you get stencils that big?

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I have a collection of perennial flower stencils - they are all from US companies but I couldnt tell you the names - have had them for years.Probably if you were interested you could google for stencil companies and check the catalogues. Most of them are online now.

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Wow! Such great imagination and great execution, too.

Brooklyn, NY(Zone 7b)

Seed Picker.. Thanks for posting this.. a real treat of imagination... can't get over being a critic though... I think their work is grand... but also how much more in keeping with the site.. if they had continued the trunk of the big tree into the picture.. it would have more of the look of it being there.. now..the tree trunk goes down and stops at the building... if it were apart of the picture ... also... you'd not be able to tell you wern't looking through into their paradise in back..it would work the same way including the brickwork... brings to the picture the real life of the site... the muralist should have started with a site specific drawing... Gordon

I see what you are saying...the brick is mirrored in the mural, but none of the other elements in their yard are...

maybe they wanted to imagine that passing under the painted arbor transported them to somewhere else...kinda like The book 'The lion, the witch, & the wardrobe' when they'd go into the wardrobe, and transport to another place...?

Brooklyn, NY(Zone 7b)

right..you are...
well I'm always looking to make smoother transitions.. in what I make..
you see the top of the tree existing in their somewhere else.. give us the trunk as well... Gordon

Springfield, OH(Zone 5b)

I see what you are saying about the trunk but the trunk on the building would be static while the tree would shift according to your perspective. That would bug me to see the trunk jink over when it reached the building

Brooklyn, NY(Zone 7b)

it wouldn't move if it was done in perspective ..

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Funny, Jazz, I hadn't thought of that until you said it: great eye!

Gordon - I thought the job was excellent and yet all of your points are valid. I do love how they did the brick to match the house.

Newalla, OK(Zone 7a)

wow!!! that mural is fabulous! kind of draws you in to see more of it.

fancyvan..good idea with the stencil. makes the entire patio inviting.
what kind of paint did you use to weather the seasons?

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

beverly I just used my regular acrylic craft paint. Dont remember if I put a protective coating on but I think not. It is 4 years later now and still looking pretty good.

Springfield, OH(Zone 5b)

Gordon.. How could you get it to line up so that no matter where you were the trunk on the wall would line up with the actual trunk of the tree? It seems like at some point there would be a break in the line.
Granted from one perspective it would be perfect but once you moved it wouldn't..
I do see what you are saying about bringing the backgroudn into the mural would heighten the illusion. Perhaps some foliage at the top that match the tree's behind.. that wouldnt' be so dependent on position..

Newalla, OK(Zone 7a)

fancy...its still looks great and new. it gave me a good idea for my shed...it definately needs something to help it out. thanks!

Brooklyn, NY(Zone 7b)

WellJazz.. surely it could never line up from all view points... but the tree is close enough to the plane of the painting to minimise the out of allignment.. and surely from any place comming up the drive the effect would be about un noticeable.. surely easier to take than the missing trunk... but like I said... I thought it was grand.. surely better than nailed on metal signs... for soft drinks... motor oil.. and auto parts...which for years was considered shed decoration... [SEE ROCK CITY ]
kudos to the painter..as well as the owner [ if not the same person ] for bringing it to the level thay did... Gordon

Brooklyn, NY(Zone 7b)

OH.. butdon't get me wrong here..I love the metal signs... history for sure... and I understand they are traded as high art now... and go for a heafty ammount.. and I know they were put on for their ability to break the wind inside ... and keep the animals out of the corn crib..I was just making the point of how far we've come..
leisure time and spare funds promote art... support the national endowment.. Gordon

Springfield, OH(Zone 5b)

I also think it is gorgeous. It's a pity that it isn't a DGer so that we can ask all our quesitons. I tend to want to know how a thing is done if I really like it :)

OK Gordon..Thank you for answering that..I thought perhaps you knew a way to make it work from all angles and I wanted to know the secret! lol.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images