Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Brugmansias: A what?

Communities > Forums > Brugmansias
bookmark
Forum: BrugmansiasReplies: 15, Views: 306
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
plant_girl_maine

(Zone 4b)

June 22, 2001
4:32 PM

Post #7007

Sorry guys, I don't know...

What is a brug?

-plant girl (who is pretty sure its a flower, but does someone have a photo?)
Tim
Palmyra, VA
(Zone 7a)

June 22, 2001
4:45 PM

Post #85872

plant girl,

I hope these links will answer your question, if not, do a search on it.

http://davesgarden.com/showthread/41119.html

http://davesgarden.com/showthread/48060.html
http://davesgarden.com/showthread/41991.html
http://davesgarden.com/showthread/4600.html
http://davesgarden.com/showthread/23096.html
plant_girl_maine

(Zone 4b)

June 22, 2001
5:37 PM

Post #85889

WOW! Those are AMAZING plants! What zone do you have to live in to grow them?

thanks for the info!

-plant girl :)
Nan
SW, WI
(Zone 4b)

June 22, 2001
5:41 PM

Post #85890

Plant girl...I live in zone 4, too, and I grow them both in containers and in ground. If in ground, you just either dig them up (big plants/big work!) or take nice cuttings to root for next years plants. They're easy to overwinter if you've a basement or cool room. I've even overwintered small plants in my living room. Oh oh...now you're in trouble! The obsession begins!
Tim
Palmyra, VA
(Zone 7a)

June 22, 2001
6:40 PM

Post #85905

HAHAHA let the fun begins!
Tim
Palmyra, VA
(Zone 7a)

June 22, 2001
8:58 PM

Post #85964

hmmm 'the first one is free...' hehe
or is it 'this one's on me...'
Azalea
Jonesboro, GA
(Zone 7b)

July 22, 2001
4:03 AM

Post #98110

How come no one has used the term Angel Trumpet tree descibing the Brugs? They are truly beautiful, last year I only had one but finally have got several rooted starts from it this year. They smell so heavenly too, my big one is deep yellow (don't know it's name), truly a showstopper. last year it had over 100 blooms on it at one time and it's only 3 years old.
Brugmansia
FSH, TX

July 22, 2001
1:15 PM

Post #98195

Azalea-I don't use the term Angelstrumpets simply because of the confusion most people have with the latin names much less the common names. Devils trumpets are Datura and Angelstrumpets are Brugmansia-but I always call Brugmansia Brugmansia and Datura weeds. Lol, but seriously, many here adore Datura so whichever you like is fine in here or if you like them both as some do as well its good to seed new faces in here.
Brugmansia
Azalea
Jonesboro, GA
(Zone 7b)

July 24, 2001
5:08 AM

Post #99201

Yes Brug, I know what it is but there was a time only a few months ago that I didn't. Just thught it would help to be a little more descriptive for those that don't know.

PS - Today I put my first "leaf" in a jar of water, thanks to you - wish me luck!!

This message was edited Tuesday, Jul 24th 1:10 AM
tiG
Newnan, GA
(Zone 8a)

July 24, 2001
11:00 AM

Post #99269

oh Azalea, deep yellow, huh? I'll have to try and get a cutting of something going before I come up, and we'll trade!!!
MaVieRose
High Desert, CA
(Zone 8a)

July 24, 2001
6:04 PM

Post #99485

Brugmansia ... in the 30 yrs of gardening i've done, my preference is using latin name, rather than common name to specifically identify a plant. common names are sometimes too confusing.
although new to the site, i have taken the liberty of reading some of the posting on several threads. so far, i have not found an answer to the question lingering in my head. a friend introduce me to the brug & dat for the first time early part of this year, by giving me a 6" rooted cutting of a pink brug. when i transplanted the brug, i added some superphosphate with the potting soil. todate, the plant has grown to 4' high, and a side shoot of 3' high and more side shoots coming up. i feed the brug w/ 15-30-15 fertilizer once a week.
i am in zone 8, the upper desert of So. Calif. the questions is... when will the pink brug bloom?
thanks... ma vie rose

ps: sorry i do not know what specific variety the pink brug is, till i see the flower.
Brugmansia
FSH, TX

July 24, 2001
10:21 PM

Post #99660

hmmm, lingering...questions...Brugmansia live for over 70 years...Datura live for 1-3 years. Brugmansia rarely if ever self seed while Datura self seed like crazzy. Brugmansia have smooth round to long slender greenpod looking seedpods...need we go on?
Azalea
Jonesboro, GA
(Zone 7b)

July 26, 2001
3:53 AM

Post #100526

BTW, Brug - my leaf died!!

I guess by now Plant-Girl-Maine should have a pretty good idea of what a Brug is but I'm surprised no one has put up a link with pics - there are several bet i am not smart enough to do it.

This message was edited Wednesday, Jul 25th 11:58 PM
Azalea
Jonesboro, GA
(Zone 7b)

July 26, 2001
4:00 AM

Post #100527

Oops, sorry Tim & Brug I guess I just overlooked it - forgive an old lady!!

Sure Tig - you've got it.

This message was edited Thursday, Jul 26th 12:24 AM

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Brugmansias Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
it you take cuttings from a blooming plant.. arlene 52 Dec 21, 2010 12:39 PM
Great Brugmansia hybrids fast Brugmansia 24 Jul 8, 2013 12:49 AM
How Many Other Canadian Brug Lovers Are Here? Ladybug 30 Aug 7, 2010 8:24 PM
Labeled Parts - 2nd try poppysue 15 Jan 8, 2010 2:19 PM
parentage monika 80 Nov 14, 2011 6:36 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America