Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Antiques and Collectibles: What do you consider your best "collectible/antique" find?

Communities > Forums > Antiques and Collectibles
bookmark
Forum: Antiques and CollectiblesReplies: 142, Views: 2,109
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
nminmd
Frederick, MD
(Zone 7a)

March 8, 2005
12:40 AM

Post #1325808

My sister-in-law and I are always scouting out thrift shops, yard sales and flea markets. Last week I found a large Maxfield Parrish print, called Hilltop. Since it was half price day, I paid $27.50 for it! I was so tickled, I had to call my sister-in-law at work and tell her. So, what are some of your best "finds". I have a few more, but I'll wait to see if anyone is interested in posting their found treasures!

Thumbnail by nminmd
Click the image for an enlarged view.

pins2006
Decatur, GA
(Zone 7a)

March 8, 2005
2:16 PM

Post #1326558

My best find really isn't a find at all, but a huge surprise. Several years ago I was yard saling and came across a beautiful pink ceramic bowl filled with seashells for only $1. I immediately grabbed it because I had seen that bowl selling for $20 in the stores. I remember a lady next to me asking if I was going to buy the bowl, and I said yes. Well, I put the bowl on a side table and left it there, with the shells for a couple of years until I decided to reduce the number of shells I had. Since the bowl only had the large, flat shells in it, I dumped them on the floor to empty the bowl. Imagine my surprise when I saw an engagement ring on the floor! I thought it was a cubic zirconium, but my dh told me to take it to a jewelry store. The first thing the guy said was, "Well, I see a couple of flaws." He then told me that the flaws meant it was a real diamond! It's 3/4 carat, European cut. He said that someone must have put it in the bowl of shells for safe keeping and forgot where they put it. And, after 2 years, I had no idea where I got it. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. ;-)
hemlady
Melvindale, MI
(Zone 5a)

March 8, 2005
2:54 PM

Post #1326640

Wow, that's some story. Teriffic!!!
nminmd
Frederick, MD
(Zone 7a)

March 9, 2005
1:09 AM

Post #1327771

That is so neat. Now I'll be looking through all kinds of things for hidden jewelry. I like your best find story better than mine!!
pins2006
Decatur, GA
(Zone 7a)

March 9, 2005
12:32 PM

Post #1328305

I've read (but never had it happen to me) that people find money on the undersides of drawers and under the bottom of dressers and side tables. Another instance of hiding valuables and forgetting where its hidden.
Kachinagirl
Modesto, CA
(Zone 8b)

March 9, 2005
1:34 PM

Post #1328404

I should be so lucky...LOL

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

March 10, 2005
12:53 PM

Post #1330097

Here's a couple of mine.
The little plow is a salesman sample, paid $20.00
The car is 1960's Japan tin toy, paid $1.00
The corn isn't worth anything, just interesting. Golden Jewel variety. I have no idea how old it is.
I have a half of bushel of seed corn in the original bag, with a 1949 germination test date. Thought of planting some to see if it would grow, haven't got to that yet.
Bernie

Thumbnail by CountryGardens

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

March 17, 2005
3:53 AM

Post #1343166

Mine is a fluorescent Coca-Cola sign I bought years ago for $25. It's worth about $2,000 now. It is formed (etched? cut?) glass in the inside, and says "Please Pay When Served"...
balvenie
Marysville, WA
(Zone 7a)

March 17, 2005
3:44 PM

Post #1343959

The most recent find was a large number of Fostoria pieces at an Estate sale,notably a decanter for $20.00,which in the most recent price book is valued at $150.00.Now if I could find three more,and the tray I'd be jumping for joy.

Thumbnail by balvenie

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

March 17, 2005
5:10 PM

Post #1344192

Robert, good find! I bought an Orrefors decanter with stopper at a yard sale for $2
balvenie
Marysville, WA
(Zone 7a)

March 17, 2005
6:56 PM

Post #1344455

Darius,that's a great buy!! Good decanters,especially with ground glass stoppers,are hard to find used and really costly new.I suppose if someone were to make a little "rule of thumb",it would be to have the contents worth more than the container. A truly fine wine or spirit just seems to be more enjoyable from a nice crystal glass and decanter.Life's too short to not enjoy good food and drink.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

March 17, 2005
9:35 PM

Post #1344756

Hear, hear!
Kachinagirl
Modesto, CA
(Zone 8b)

March 18, 2005
5:52 AM

Post #1345632

I think my best "antique find" was my antique school desk. Wrought iron legs, flip down seat in front and desk with ink well in back. I was driving through town during one of those "put anything you don't want at the curb and the city will pick it up for free" days and spied it sitting at the curb with a bunch of junk. I pulled my Toyota 4-Runner over to the curb, jumped out in my skirt-suit and heels, dropped the gate in back, shoved that puppy in, shut the gate, jumped back in and took off! LOL, I must have been a sight! Luckily I was in a part of town where I didn't know anyone...Ha ha ha.

Karen :~D

(Edited...seriously...how tacky can one woman get?)

This message was edited Mar 17, 2005 10:53 PM
vs71099
Osage City, KS
(Zone 5b)

March 18, 2005
12:01 PM

Post #1345835

balvenie,
How does one know it's a Fostoria or a Orrefors... I bought a bunch of bottles at a GS filled them with colored water and set them on the deck... The dog knocked it over and broke it... It looked a little like your bottle... but I would have never thought it was worth more than the 50 cents I paid... (I'm sure mine wasn't of any value but for future reference)
balvenie
Marysville, WA
(Zone 7a)

March 18, 2005
3:41 PM

Post #1346202

VS, I don't know how to identify Orrefors from a knock-off,but with Fostoria,at least the American pattern which I collect,there are a couple of tell-tale signs to look for.First is to get a book on Fostoria to determin if the piece was even made by them as there are a lot of very similar imitations in the marketplace.The Fostoria will be bright and clear,smooth edges,high polish.Prices vary from $3-5 for a 6" saucer to $3,000- 3,600 for a large porch vase.Fortunately most of the items are still affordable (as far as collectables go) and show up in antique stores and estate/garage sales.The American pattern was patented in 1915 and the Fostoria Company was closed in 1986.The Fostoria Glass Museum in Moundsville,West Virginia would be an interesting place to visit.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

March 18, 2005
4:12 PM

Post #1346263

Orrefors pieces are always signed (etched on the bottom of the piece).

edited for spelling

This message was edited Mar 18, 2005 12:12 PM
vs71099
Osage City, KS
(Zone 5b)

March 18, 2005
4:58 PM

Post #1346329

That's good information... it's almost that time of year to start hitting the GS's
IO1
Waaaay Down South, GA

April 25, 2005
7:11 AM

Post #1425597

Well, all your collectables sure sound much better than mine ... but I'll share any ole way! I have an original Underwood typewriter with the ribbon winder on the outside ... before they were made on the inside. You actually use a little crank to wind or rewind the typewriter ribbon. It's dated back in the 1920's I believe. AND THAT SUCKER MUST WEIGH 50 LBS *smile* You can get a hernia just by lifting the thing!

woodspirit1

woodspirit1
Lake Toxaway, NC
(Zone 7a)

April 25, 2005
11:26 AM

Post #1425673

Mine was a gift from my sister. She had my grandmother's china, the old Desert Rose pattern by Gladding-McBee and alter by another company. Now it's made by a company in England for Wedgewood and is not very good at all. Glee actually used them for many years before her husband got tired of them and wanted some of their own
My grandmother bought this huge set when she began keeping WACs and soldiers in her home during WWII. The military bases just didn't have enough room for them all. Her home was actually a tourist home on Wrightsville Beach, NC and business was slow because of the war so this really supplemented her income.
I have bought some missing pieces off eBay to round out the collection.
starfly
Homosassa, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 16, 2005
8:52 AM

Post #1551363

this is mine

Thumbnail by starfly

butterqueen
Kernersville, NC
(Zone 7a)

June 24, 2005
2:31 AM

Post #1571743

My best find was a metal dresser that matches 2 metal chests of drawers I bought when I was in college. I searched for one for over 10 years, so it was a great day when I found it on an auction listing. I took almost $1,000 to make sure I got it LOL, it was only $50. No one else bid, so I prolly could have gotten it for $5 or something, but the auctioneer said 'let's open the bid at 50 dollars' and I jumped up and down, going going gone lol. Way to play it cool eh?
some other things I love:
a light pink and green Hull swan planter for 50 cents
an antique tiger oak desk, $3
vintage 'big' wicker rocker for $4 (I actually had a pair but dh decided to try and rock sideways grrr)

I'm sure I'll think of something else after I hit send! I am enjoying everyone else's finds:)
Rachel

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

June 24, 2005
2:37 AM

Post #1571760

Got a This Old House magazine yesterday. A guy bought an old house to restore. He come across an old light fixture, was going to throw it in the dumpster, his friend stopped him.
To make long story short, it ended up on an auction & brought over $300,000.
It was a Stickly.
Bernie

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

June 24, 2005
11:37 AM

Post #1572296

Great story, Bernie.
How's your TIAS shop doing?

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

June 24, 2005
12:05 PM

Post #1572354

Terrible.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

June 24, 2005
12:09 PM

Post #1572360

Oh, sorry to hear that.
bluegrassmom
Lewisburg, KY
(Zone 6a)

June 25, 2005
1:39 PM

Post #1574879

Hi, guys
A good buy that I found was a picket fence crock. I bought it at a yard sale for $4 dollars. Earlier this week I saw one that looked like it priced for $150.00. Maybe I should not be keeping my fresh fruit in it!

I like using my old stuff. I must need new kitchen stuff because I am now find my items in antique stores. Pyrex cann't be that old.
LOL
hemlady
Melvindale, MI
(Zone 5a)

June 25, 2005
1:59 PM

Post #1574921

I found a Royal Copley vase at a garage sale last weekend for $l.50. I thought the name sounded familiar so I got it. I looked it up on tias.com and found it selling for $20 so I think I got a bargain.
tabasco
Cincinnati (Anderson, OH
(Zone 6a)

June 29, 2005
3:40 PM

Post #1585751

I snagged this lamp (but no shade) for free because it had a crack in the back side which we repaired (kind of)...now I have it in our front hall because we like it so much...had to purchase the shade, though...

the thrift shop fella told me nobody liked 'french style' things in Cincinnati and he couldn't find a buyer for it... his loss, my gain I think. Although you have to like 'french' stuff!

Thumbnail by tabasco

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

June 29, 2005
5:34 PM

Post #1586036

The thrift shop guy must be from la-la land. That is a very nice lamp.
We have lots of "would be expensive if not chipped" china & things in our house. They all look just great. The nice part is they don't cost very much.
Bernie

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

June 30, 2005
12:08 AM

Post #1587085

I finally came across my lighted Coca-Cola Sign!

Thumbnail by darius

bluegrassmom
Lewisburg, KY
(Zone 6a)

June 30, 2005
6:26 AM

Post #1587879

I have several items that are only slightly damaged. I bought a matching Watt tulip mixing bowl for $12.00. An inside hairline crack was the only damage. It looks fine from the shelf.

bootandall

bootandall
Blenheim
New Zealand

July 4, 2005
11:10 AM

Post #1597547

I bought this 30 years ago , I now know it is a micromosaic small picture frame 2ins by 11/2 , but that is all I know,

Thumbnail by bootandall

bluegrassmom
Lewisburg, KY
(Zone 6a)

July 4, 2005
3:43 PM

Post #1598041

Bernie, how can I find your online store on Tias?
hemlady
Melvindale, MI
(Zone 5a)

July 4, 2005
9:31 PM

Post #1598913

Very lovely picture frame.
djm906
Mount Prospect, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 6, 2005
3:40 AM

Post #1601986

My favorite "find" was a 1917 Bing and Grondel Christmas plate that I paid $5.00 for!
Magpye
NW Qtr, AR
(Zone 6a)

January 1, 2006
10:36 PM

Post #1949640

(bumpity-bump)

.. bootandall ...

Your micro-mosaic frame is truly gorgeous!! I can't begin to imagine such fractional mosaic pieces being ever so carefully arranged & placed - even with the accurate gear & lighting! Such intricacy! The portrayal of the frame as an artists palette, contributing even further to its fine beauty. Have you got around to researching this piece? I'll have to go see what I can find out about it ..

As you can tell ...I am awesomely intrigued! With the beautiful lil frame .. and, the origins of your photo, also!

A fantastic shot! Superb clarity in the capture of the detail of your lil mosaic frame! May I inquire about the camera that was used to shoot this photo?

- Magpye
RWhiz
Spring Valley, CA
(Zone 10a)

January 11, 2006
9:54 PM

Post #1970067

I got this painting (without frame) in the late 60's at a sale in a San Francisco Hari-Krishna vegetarian restaurant for 25 cents.

It's an original Jack van Ryder (cowboy artist) painting signed and dated 1927.

I contacted an online art appraiser recently and he appraised it for $1500.

It's my favorite painting.

-Ron-

Thumbnail by RWhiz

Magpye
NW Qtr, AR
(Zone 6a)

January 11, 2006
10:33 PM

Post #1970174

.. OMG !!! ..
Talk about a dandy 'drop-in-the-bucket' PAY OFF!?! How truly thrilling it's gotta be for ya, Ron !!
Pat yourself on the back a few more times - for 'me'. Mitely proud for you ...
Tis a beaut .. for sure!!

- Magpye
Vee8ch
Palm Bay, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 18, 2006
10:06 PM

Post #1985504

My mom and I opened an Antiques and Collectibles store in 1988 after we'd collected stuff for about 6 years. One day in 1989 we went to a garage sale and I found an oriental looking silver dragons cream and sugar set that was very tarnished and the sugar bowl was dented. I had no idea what the set was worth and hesitated to pay the $10.00 but I just had to have it. Several months later a couple from up north came to our store and they did not hesitate to pay the $250.00 price for that dragons set. Several months after that a lady came in and said "this is the store where some people bought a silver cream & sugar that sold at Southebys for $10,000 isn't it?" My heart stopped.
Til this day I try to convince myself that it was just a coincidence ... they bought it somewhere else.
Oh my goodness what a sick feeling it gives me to even think about it still.

trackinsand

trackinsand
mid central, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 18, 2006
10:50 PM

Post #1985564

here is my best find, a Bradley & Hubbard lamp with everything original including little acorn pulls.

i was at a flea market in so.florida in the late 80's. when i passed this lamp i thought to myself that 200.00 wasn't a bad price, then i did a quick double-take, it was 20.00! i was so excited i was shaking when i handed her the 20.00. i still love it to this day.

Thumbnail by trackinsand

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

January 18, 2006
10:57 PM

Post #1985572

I would never offer anything for sale until I knew what the value is.
I also like to buy for 1/3 of what I am going to price it.
You still made $240 on your purchase, not bad. Had you reserched it & priced accordingly, you might still own it!
Bernie
Breezymeadow
Culpeper, VA
(Zone 7a)

January 18, 2006
11:08 PM

Post #1985587

I have a collection of Hermes scarves with both equine & nature motifs.

A few years ago I bid on & won one in a coveted retired vintage pattern of falcons wearing their little falconers hoods, etc., on E-Bay for $90, which was a bargain for the "summer cotton" it was advertised as. Imagine my shock when the scarf arrived & turned out to be the CASHMERE version!!!!!!!!! At the time, cashmere vintage versions of this scarf were going for between $400 & $600!!! Lord only knows what they're going for now.

I have a number of other silk Hermes scarves in vintage patterns that have also appreciated tremendously, but none like my cashmere number!!

(Oh, & I've studied & researched these scarves for quite some time, so am confident in my ability to tell the real deal from the many knock-offs out there. Otherwise, I would never have purchased this off of E-Bay.)
Vee8ch
Palm Bay, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 19, 2006
1:50 AM

Post #1985892

Bernie silver was not our area of expertise (obviously lol). In fact I wasn't even sure it was silver. The set was ugly looking and dented and nothing so special to my eye except for the cute little dragons. When I gave the people the $250.00 price it was off the top of my head and thinking they'll never go for that much... ha! If we had known the real value back then we sure wouldn't have it today. We would have done the Southebys thing a long time ago.

Trackinsand ... your lamp is to die for! I can certainly understand why you love it so much. That is one piece I would never be able to part with. The 80's and 90's were absolutely incredible years to find unbelieveable bargains galore.

We specialized in depression glass and 50-60-'s kitchenware and art glass and costume jewelry. Still have boxes and boxes of the stuff and the value has only increased thru the years.
You guys are making me want to get back in this line of work real bad. I've been considering it for about a year now. Glad I found this forum.
Vee8ch
Palm Bay, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 19, 2006
1:55 AM

Post #1985905

Breezy do you have pictures of your scarves? I wouldn't know a Hermes scarf if it bit me. You were so lucky to get such a wonderful deal on that ebay scarf!

Ron ... wow! Beautiful painting! 25 cents? Incredible!

This message was edited Jan 18, 2006 10:05 PM

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

January 19, 2006
2:44 AM

Post #1986030

I like depression glass. I have tons of it. Also German & Prussian plates & china. There is so much, so beautiful painted.
What depression pattern is your favorite ?
I like any with a big price tag! LOL!
Bernie

P.S. The comment in my other post didn't come out the way I meant it. sorry.

This message was edited Jan 18, 2006 9:45 PM
Vee8ch
Palm Bay, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 19, 2006
8:22 AM

Post #1986349

Bernie I love it all too. I'll buy anything depression glass but my very favorite is Parrot. I don't own one piece of it anymore. That pattern sold so fast we couldn't keep any of it.

ps ... You didn't do anything wrong. :) ... vicki

pins2006
Decatur, GA
(Zone 7a)

January 19, 2006
11:21 AM

Post #1986433

Breezy, you never cease to amaze me. Who would have thought to collect Hermes scarves? Do you wear them? Display them? I wonder what other clothing or accessory item grows in value. I'll have to research that.
Breezymeadow
Culpeper, VA
(Zone 7a)

January 19, 2006
1:07 PM

Post #1986553

Yes, I do wear them - but carefully, lol, & never on days when inclement weather is expected. Something about water stains on a piece of silk worth between $300-$400. . .

I'll have to experiment with taking some pics of some of my favorites. They truly are works of art - especially the nature scenes painted by Linare. Many people do display them framed & under glass, but one does need a large wall space for that, as they measure approx. 36" x 36". In addition, you really need to find a framing place you trust to know exactly how to do it without damaging the scarf with pinholes, etc. And then, of course, the piece must be hung somewhere where natural light won't constantly be hitting it & cause fading. All in all, unless around my neck, I feel mine are better off in their little orange Hermes boxes in the dresser - lol!
PrairieGirlZ5
Thornton, IL

January 19, 2006
3:31 PM

Post #1986797

My grandmother gave me a Vera Wang scarf, I do wear it and enjoy it , because life's too short! It's gold and grey, from the fifties. She also gave me a turqouise McCoy vase, I didn't know what it was until my son broke it (it had been broken and re-glued before) in quite a few pieces, which I have saved with the intention of incorporating into a mosiac of some kind someday. Along with a broken brown butter-dish, that once had a matching platter. These were salt-glazed ceramics that may have held some value as well. Oh well, I do have lots of tin cookie cutters still. I guess I do best with unbreakable things. Also, a light blue Fire King bowl, it's small and shaped like you would pour from it. My husband found it for me, I've kept it in the china cabinet for safe-keeping. How would I go about finding out it's value?

trackinsand

trackinsand
mid central, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 19, 2006
4:10 PM

Post #1986848

you can check out ebay to see what similar items are going for (then i always drop it down a little because ebay tends to be high) i think it's the thrill of the buy going on there. re: your scarf, if it's from the 50's it's most probably a Vera, not Vera Wang. Vera scarves are very collectable nowadays.
PrairieGirlZ5
Thornton, IL

January 19, 2006
4:15 PM

Post #1986854

thanks debi - I like it regardless! More for what it means to me than anything else. Cool window seat you've got there, love your pillows and the wire basket for CDs. I would've been shaking buying that lamp for $20 too, because it's so cute, besides it's "true" value!
Thrill of the hunt is what does it for me.

trackinsand

trackinsand
mid central, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 19, 2006
5:40 PM

Post #1986980

thanks! yes, it's that "hunt" thing going on!!! ps. the basket was my grandmothers and it still has some original red paint.
Kachinagirl
Modesto, CA
(Zone 8b)

January 19, 2006
5:55 PM

Post #1987013

I have old silk scarves from the 1980's, 2 Cartier and one Yves St. Laurent . I guess they're really not "vintage" yet, but one day they will be! I used to work for the Cartier perfume division and got the scarves in promotions (I traded one of my Cartier duplicates to a YSL rep. for her YSL scarf). I probably shouldn't wear them, but I do, they're really pretty and women always notice them.

I also collect vintage pressed glass "pin" or "nut" dishes in the shape of leaves and 1920's, '30's & '40's pottery. The pottery is my newest venture.

K
PrairieGirlZ5
Thornton, IL

January 19, 2006
9:37 PM

Post #1987378

K - Re those nut shaped dishes, what a great idea for a collection. The reason I wear my scarf, is that I believe it was made with the intention of being worn and enjoyed, not put away in a box.
pins2006
Decatur, GA
(Zone 7a)

January 19, 2006
9:52 PM

Post #1987401

Anybody have one of those ugly Lanier Meaders face jugs? In the middle 70's I took a pottery class and we went on a couple of field trips. One was to Lanier's pottery. Even though he was already in the Smithsonian at that time, he, personally, was selling his jugs for $25 each. Over the next 3 years we bought 3 for ourselves, 4 for Christmas presents, 2 pitchers, a flower pot, and one 30 gallon pickle jar (for $30). One of the jugs is of Richard Nixon. Lanier said that he often modeled his face jugs after who was on the news! While I have no idea how much the other things are worth, I do know the face jugs are worth over $1,000 each. The Nixon one would be worth much more than that because it is totally recognizable as Nixon. I do wonder what the pickle far is worth. None ever seem to be on eBay. I guess because they would be way too difficult to ship. (My mother has been telling us to sell them ever since she say them. She's a European type decorator and the pottery really freaks her out. lol )
Magpye
NW Qtr, AR
(Zone 6a)

January 19, 2006
10:01 PM

Post #1987423

.. pins2006 ..

They sho' is 'uuuugly' .. yet a bit 'fetchin' jes the same .. LOL ..

Not sure if these sites will aid in establishing any current 'values', but ...
Are these the items you're referring to? > http://www.janesaddictions.com/lmead01.htm
.. & .. here > http://www.selectpottery.com/index2.htm (< like the music on this site!!)

Gosh, some wonderful 'reads', here, also >
http://www.visitnortheastgeorgia.com/folkpotters.htm

Found this tidbit most interesting ..
Quoting:Face jugs originated back in the early 1800's. Clay was cheap and the south relied on potters for a variety of wares. One theory suggests that most pottery was made by slaves. The face jug was an attempt to create a likeness of someone they knew. It was also believed that face jugs were used to drive away evil spirits. They were put on graves to keep the spirits away. In the early 1900's bootleggers relied on potters to provide them with jugs for their whiskey. Ugly face jugs were made by potters to show their support for Prohibition, yet they kept the bootlegger supplied with plenty of jugs for his whiskey. It was also believed that the ugly face jugs would keep children from getting into the whiskey jugs. After prohibition, distillers were able to use glass bottles and no longer needed the potter.

Seems they'd surely be worth something !!!

- Magpye

This message was edited Jan 19, 2006 5:04 PM
pins2006
Decatur, GA
(Zone 7a)

January 19, 2006
10:30 PM

Post #1987461

Thanks for the quote! I never knew the history behind face jugs. Very interesting. I"ll have to check out the websites in more depth after dinner.
Kachinagirl
Modesto, CA
(Zone 8b)

January 20, 2006
12:24 AM

Post #1987697

I agree regarding wearing the scarves. My Grandmother told me to enjoy my "special" things, that they do no one any good packed carefully away in closets. I've never forgotten that.

As for the leaf dishes, I have them laying about in my office (I'm a landscape designer so they really fit into the scheme of things!). I use them as paper weights, holders for sugar and creamer packets (when serving coffee to clients) and just plain old decorations. I'm very fond of them!

Karen
PrairieGirlZ5
Thornton, IL

January 20, 2006
1:57 AM

Post #1987896

Karen - Well you have inspired me, I'll be on the lookout for some leaf dishes of my own. My grandmother said something similar, she was a very practical woman who loved life.
My collections also include the offbeat. Once our town had a garage sale, I picked up an antique rolling pin, a wooden bunch of carrots, and an old wooden bowling pin. The rolling pin is displayed in the kitchen with an apple-shaped sign for "Fresh Apples 5 cents" and a little potted ivy. I display the carrots in Springtime with a moss-colored rabbit. The bowling pin sits on a shelf in my entry alongside a wooden checkerboard, hinting at bygone pleasures. I have to have or find a use for stuff, otherwise it's passed along, or passed up in favor of something else! I love how even Breezy occasionally wears those scarves, and how someone else isn't afraid to put some good wine in their decanter, recycling is good for the soul as well as the planet, connects us to our pasts.
lagata2
Ozark, AL
(Zone 8b)

February 9, 2006
12:41 AM

Post #2031656

oops. Sent it twice!

This message was edited Feb 8, 2006 7:45 PM
lagata2
Ozark, AL
(Zone 8b)

February 9, 2006
12:44 AM

Post #2031667

My neatest finds are junk, or that is not things to really display. Besides, few people would really see them anyway, since I'm not into parties and such.
One of my 'treasures' came in a 25 cent auction box of plastic bowls and crap. It's an old (1902 I think, it says on it, but can't recall) dance card for the burgermiester ball of that year. It's a really neat red velvet fringed and gold crest thing that hung from a silk cord and hook, with a tiny book in on the back, that is held shut by a tiny pencil. The lady wearing it wrote the partners name in below the dance/music that was scheduled to play. Seem like there is only one entry in it however, so the lady may have been ugly, or simply married.
At a thrift shop in a junk bin I found a small gold framed picture of a civil war soldier, which is set into a black holder of sorts; beside it was a tiny flat silver perfume holder, probably from the same era. Got both for one dollar, and when I got home, found the picture came out of the holder thing, and behind it is a newspaper clipping and a paper telling about "brother john smith". Neat :)
Then in an old building my ex and his company were tearing down, a bunch of pictures, papers, and ledgers from late 18 early 1900's, which also spanned the flu epidemic of 1918; Creepy to see where each day names were added to the roles of who had fallen sick. The "Mourning Dove" society had papers in the bunch too, a womens group dedicated to helping the sick and dieing. Creepy, but interesting. All in the attic now, and I've no idea what anything above is worth, but it's all considered "treasures" to me. But I am a bit of a packrat, so a lot of stuff falls in this category here. If I ever get desperate for $$ I may find out.
Janett_D
Gamleby
Sweden
(Zone 7a)

February 9, 2006
1:36 AM

Post #2031768

I have a kerosene lamp that I payed 6$ for and i later met a antique shop owner who told me that If I do sell it to a shop I would get 600 $ for it and if I ever wanted to get what its worth I should turn to a special lamp auction with a big reserve on it. He also told me that this simple (what I tought) lamp was made before 1792, he knew by the way they gilded the metall lampshade with brass, that way to do it got prohibited 1792, to many died of the liquid they used then. I do collect kerosine lamps so NO WAY I part with it.

Darius, How many signatures do your Orrefors have, and do you collect Orrefors. Also did you know that its Swedish glass.
Janett

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

February 9, 2006
12:06 PM

Post #2032417

Janett, I no longer have any Orrefors, and I did know it's Swedish glass. The only glass I have left is Lalique... 4 angel champagne flutes. Two are signed by Marie Claude Lalique when she toured in the US.

bootandall

bootandall
Blenheim
New Zealand

February 10, 2006
6:29 AM

Post #2034507

sorry Magpye . I am with you now. The camera is a Fuji finepix A203 . and takes much closer shots than my old camera did.
Did you manage to fine out anything about it. I have never found much, except a lot of micromosic pieces are finer still. And I do wonder how they do it , it would beat me.
Janett_D
Gamleby
Sweden
(Zone 7a)

February 10, 2006
6:41 AM

Post #2034514

botandall, I agree with Magpye it is truly beautiful. I am not 100% certain but I do think you have what the English antique auctionairs refers to as "Mother of Pearl mosaic" I have seen similar in programs from the UK and on
The Antique Roadshow program and more and they are pricy.
Make a google on "Mother of Pearl mosaic"
Janett
Edit. your item "hits" 3 collecter groups. those who collect picture frames, those who collect beautyful floral items and also those who collect mother of pearls items.

This message was edited Feb 10, 2006 12:03 PM
drivenbonkers
Perth,, ON
(Zone 5a)

February 18, 2006
2:32 PM

Post #2053357

My best find so far has been a old (1920's) upright piano I bought at an auction, for $10. I bought the glass ball-footed stool the same day.

We got the piano home and took the panels off of it to give it a good cleaning. My husband was checking the back of the piano out with a flashlight, and found what he thought to be a toy in the bottom of the piano.

It turned out to be a service pistol in a leather holster. (according to our research, manufactured between 1907 and 1914) The pistol was sold to a collector, recovering the cost of the piano and stool.

My piano lessons are on Tuesdays!

pins2006
Decatur, GA
(Zone 7a)

February 18, 2006
3:14 PM

Post #2053447

Great find! It's amazing what people hide and then forget about, isn't it?
bluegrassmom
Lewisburg, KY
(Zone 6a)

February 18, 2006
3:18 PM

Post #2053454

Do anyone know if Fostoria, Americana has been reproduced? I guessing so.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

February 18, 2006
10:35 PM

Post #2054405

I think not, but there are at least 2 companies that make a similar glass. One is called Whitehall, but far inferior to the Fostoria.
Probably some overseas companies trying to copy by now. There are sure-fire ways to tell the real things, but I can't tell you without research.
Bernie
liveoaklady
Metairie, LA

July 17, 2006
4:38 AM

Post #2514276

A piece of Newcomb Pottery by Joseph Meyer--circa 1902. Since Hurricane Katrina and our house flood I am trying to get rid of some of my good pieces. So much was lost in New Orleans and no one will ever get to enjoy them again. So, I am going to put my mug up for sale.

Thumbnail by liveoaklady

NY2CA
Pasadena, CA
(Zone 9b)

July 18, 2006
3:30 PM

Post #2519273

Recently I broke my right leg and have been unable to drive and get out of the house. This has resulted in way too much TV time and boredom. After watching a few too many "Cash in the Attic" episodes, it got me wondering about the set of dishes (including serving pieces) my grandmother gave me before her death. With time on my hands (or leg as the case may be) I researched the mark and discovered that I have a full set dishes from Fransiscan in the pattern of Wildflower, which is apparently the most rare pattern - made for only a couple of years in the 40's - and quite valuable. I was really surprised. My grandmother had no money to speak of, but between the dishes and the depression era glasses she left me, turns out I have an inheritance!
Magpye
NW Qtr, AR
(Zone 6a)

July 18, 2006
3:32 PM

Post #2519280

That .. is wonderful, NY2CA !!

(hope the leg is mending well)

- Magpye
NY2CA
Pasadena, CA
(Zone 9b)

July 18, 2006
4:09 PM

Post #2519416

One more week to go and I am cast free - after eight weeks if you can imagine it! But on the positive side I have gotten really good at e-bay (searching for my mom's wedding china and crystal to complete the set I split with my sister - also rather valuable it turns out!), I spend a lot more time with my container garden, have gotten the local hummingbirds addicted to my feeder (one actually flew in the window last night - they're all hyped up on sugar water!), and have made friends out the squirrel that traverse by my window every day (as long as he fails to notice my tomatoes, we are buddies). Thanks for your note!

bivbiv

bivbiv
Central FL, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 25, 2006
3:59 AM

Post #2545067

One of my most fun finds was a button in the bottom of a plastic bag of beads I bought at a yard sale for $1.00. (I was collecting beads at the time to make beaded fringe.) When I dumped them out and saw the button, I was delighted. The button was exactly the size of a nickel, was made of silk and had been painted with the face of what appeared to be a '20's flapper. She had big almond-shaped eyes with long eyelashes, a tiny heart-shaped mouth, rouge, and a black curls around her face. It was the type of button that had metal in the back and a tiny piece of cloth for sewing it to fabric. A little gold ribbon had been run across the top so it looked like a cloche hat and came out the bottom crossing under her chin like a scarf. Well, I felt there had to be a button collector somewhere who'd love to add such an unusual piece to his or her collection. I don't collect them, and I didn't want this just to be relegated to a drawer. I put it up for sale on eBay where it sold for $54.00. I'm sure the buyer was delighted to find this little treasure.

DreamOfSpring

DreamOfSpring
Charleston, SC
(Zone 9a)

July 27, 2006
2:03 AM

Post #2552991

Some years ago when a friend and I were browsing in a used book store, I found an original 1st Edition Alice in Wonderland by Lewis Carol in the children's room. It was in very good condition. A price of around $6 was very lightly penciled on the cover page. I'm not really a book collector (well, not a collector of valuable, old books, that is. lol), but I just knew it had to be worth more. I rushed it up to the register and tried to look "normal", all the while fearing the clerk would surely catch this apparent error while ringing it up. She didn't, and I paid less than $10 for a book that was at the time (about a decade ago) selling on ebay for around $500.00, same edition, same illustrator. In fact, the book turned out to be THE coveted edition of that classic. To this day, I STILL can't believe the proprietor did not notice the book before it went on the shelf at that price.

Since then, and I'm still not really "collecting" books, I've picked up a 1st edition Nancy Drew (hard back) and a 1st edition Black Stallion by Walter Farley, for $1 each at a local library sale - not x library books but books donated to the library for sale to raise funds. The Black Stallion has a stained cover. While these 2 are not as valuable as the Lewis Carol, they are worth considerably more than $1ea.
hellnzn11
Rosamond, CA
(Zone 8b)

August 4, 2006
5:45 AM

Post #2585305

My most prized possession was not a find but a cast off from my mom after grandma died, she gave me this huge almost complete set of flo blue dishes that I didn`t know were valuable but I loved them and so did grandma. The pattern was made in 1899 and 1900. They were her mom`s.

bivbiv

bivbiv
Central FL, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 4, 2006
2:31 PM

Post #2585980

It's so nice to have heirlooms like that. One of my prized possessions is a set of stemmed water glasses that belonged to my husband's grandmother, who died at the age of 99. Her father had given them to her for her hope chest when she was 16. About five years before Grandma died, she gave six glasses to me and six to her granddaughter. Not only do I treasure them because of their provenance, but they're also very beautiful.

A great find of mine came from a yard sale. I paid $7.00 for a small terra cotta bust made by Goldscheider. A collector told me that with a little restoration to the base, it would be worth $600-$800. He's not for sale, though, because this turbaned fellow is a perfect accessory with my decor. And since I'm not a collector, the small chip on the base just gives him a bit more character.
PrairieGirlZ5
Thornton, IL

August 6, 2006
3:11 AM

Post #2591300

I would love to see a picture of your turbaned fellow. Sounds cool.

bivbiv

bivbiv
Central FL, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 7, 2006
1:32 AM

Post #2594138

This is my yard sale find that is worth much more than I paid.

Thumbnail by bivbiv

bivbiv

bivbiv
Central FL, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 7, 2006
1:36 AM

Post #2594163

A view from another angle.

Thumbnail by bivbiv

PrairieGirlZ5
Thornton, IL

August 8, 2006
3:01 AM

Post #2598137

You paid $7.00 for THAT??? Way cool.

bivbiv

bivbiv
Central FL, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 8, 2006
2:20 PM

Post #2599310

Yep, $7.00. Glad you like him.

There are some other finds that I ended up selling on eBay for a nice profit. Wish I still had photos! One of them was an Italian tole chandelier, very shabby chic, with cherries on it. I bought it for $25.00 at a neighborhood yard sale and sold it for $395.00. The buyer was from NYC, and sounded like some kind of shop, so I think they either used it in their decor or resold it for even more. But I was certainly happy with my price!

I also purchased four Clay Art masks at a flea market for $4.00. I knew there were collectors for these, but I really didn't know which ones were worth more. At any rate, I figured they'd sell for more than what I paid. Well, they did indeed. I ended up with a total of $424.00 for the four. I had evidently stumbled upon some that must have been fairly rare and in demand. A friend told me she thought I might have had the record high price for them on eBay at the time. I don't recall the individual prices they brought, but one went for over $200.00.
PrairieGirlZ5
Thornton, IL

August 8, 2006
9:35 PM

Post #2600697

Sounds like you may have found a profitable sideline...

bivbiv

bivbiv
Central FL, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 8, 2006
9:58 PM

Post #2600736

Yes, and it was fun for awhile, but I don't do it anymore. Now everyone thinks they have a treasure (even when they don't), and the fun stuff isn't found so often in yard sales anymore because everyone's trying to sell on eBay. A friend who attended an Antiques Roadshow in Salt Lake (will be aired next season) said it was amazing the amount of pure junk that showed up. I wouldn't have been surprised, though.
PrairieGirlZ5
Thornton, IL

August 10, 2006
1:16 AM

Post #2605381

ROFL. You mean the Avon collectibles??

bivbiv

bivbiv
Central FL, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 10, 2006
1:42 AM

Post #2605506

She didn't specify, but that wouldn't surprise me either. :))))
turbosbabe96
Ingleside, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 29, 2006
8:09 AM

Post #2670689

Well, I will add my little ditty. My sweetheart of a husband and I are avid flea marketers..garage and yard "sailors"..and dumpster divers..lol(last one a joke folks!). Once we happened up on a sale that was in this house. Seems the old fella passed and the family was ridding of his "junk". We bought a book for .50cents. It turned out to be a first edition...first printing of the Wisconsin Regiment's activities during the Civil War!! It had a full roster..with everything...deserters, wounded..and deaths..Most of the deaths occurred not from wounds but from disease. Anyway, we sold the book to a museum in Wisconsin. Since we are Native Texans..and very proud Southerners..We felt it was better placed with its "own kind"! LOL!(joke again!). We sold it for 500.00 dollars! I would say that was a nice profit..Tell the truth..I wish we had hung on to it..I spent many nights, carefully turning pages..reading...It was soo interesting. One of the more amusing stories was when these Northern Boys came across some rather "backward" Southern Gals..who were dipping snuff...LOL!! You talk bout high-tailed it outta there!! It was a great story!! Oh! We also found some old John Deere Tractor books of some sort. We got the set for 1.00...have been offered 200.00 dollars for them so far...Hubby says NO SALE on these..I have no clue why he wants them...We dont have a John Deere..WE dont even have a TRACTOR!! LOL!! Happy Hunting folks!
coralbells
Laceyville, PA
(Zone 5a)

October 28, 2006
8:53 PM

Post #2859669

My best antique find was a gustuv Stickley Bookcase at and old church for $25. At the time I didn't realize it was worth a fortune, so when someone offered me $750.00 for it I took it. BIGGEST Mistake of my life. If I had it now I gould get $46,000 for it. Live and learn.

DreamOfSpring

DreamOfSpring
Charleston, SC
(Zone 9a)

November 1, 2006
11:41 PM

Post #2873396

Ouch! coralbells, that hurts! Well, you still made $725, and that's not a bad profit for a $25 purchase.
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 20, 2007
1:40 PM

Post #3411959

I just received this 1919 South Korean blanket chest last night for free!

Thumbnail by MySharona

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 20, 2007
1:41 PM

Post #3411964

inside view

Thumbnail by MySharona

ginger749

April 20, 2007
5:33 PM

Post #3412599

My Other Half Thinks her best find was ME. lol
nminmd
Frederick, MD
(Zone 7a)

April 20, 2007
7:52 PM

Post #3413016

Thats sweet...

Everyone has so many good finds. Two years later--I"m still looking for a better find than my first post... Although, my DH is probably going to be my best find as well...
ginger749

April 20, 2007
8:00 PM

Post #3413038

My Best find ever was a simple small glass Vase .
$10 . I looked at the bottom and grabbed it .
When I got home out came the magnafying glass to confirm my Steal .
Yes it was a Lalique original . Worth about $ 1800 Aus.
Look here http://www.deco1925.com/
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

April 20, 2007
9:03 PM

Post #3413243

I have an old dresser that belonged to a friend's father. I don't know how old it is because it is very clean lined. Contempoary but it has dividers for socks and other clothes. I think it is over a hundred years old though could be wrong. Haven't looked for seal in a long time and am not gonna move it again unless it is empty. Very sturdy and nice. My best flea market find was a painted mirror, about 3'x4' framed in unstained oak, and it has a matador on it with a bull. $20 total. Worth every penny to me.

bivbiv

bivbiv
Central FL, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 21, 2007
11:03 AM

Post #3415016

If the dresser is very clean-lined and contemporary in style, then it's more likely vintage than antique.
ginger749

April 21, 2007
11:08 AM

Post #3415030

Here in Aus.
Vintageis =25 yo .
Antique = 100 yo .
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

April 21, 2007
11:09 AM

Post #3415036

Probably is vintage. It's been a long time since we looked for the seal so there's no telling for sure. I still love it though.
ginger749

April 21, 2007
11:32 AM

Post #3415105

That`s the main thing in COLLECTING .
As long as YOU love it age don`t mater .

bivbiv

bivbiv
Central FL, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 21, 2007
11:36 AM

Post #3415116

I think 25 years is considered vintage here also.

Pepper, I'm wondering if you perhaps have a Haywood Wakefield piece? What color is it? Is it very streamlined?
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

April 21, 2007
4:02 PM

Post #3415590

It's maple, has those legs you see on contemporary style peices and has no extra details on it. Just the handles which are curved and have lines in it. The inside has built in dividers in all but the bottom drawer.
glamourpuss
U.P., MI
(Zone 5a)

April 29, 2007
8:21 AM

Post #3442941

I love this topic. One of my best finds was a brooch I found at goodwill. It was in a bucket of jewelry each piece was in a baggie they were all 99 cent each.The brooch I found was a dragon design. after I got it home I thought it looked like it said something on the back. It was 14 kt gold and had little emerald accents, a diamond eye and little pearls. I think I sold it for $300.
Not bad!
My mother and I were rummage saling and she bought a little flower pot. She had a flea market booth and I kept saying "Mom you should buy this" she thought it was sort of ugly. After we got it home we looked up the name on the bottom "Newcomb Pottery"
it was stamped by the artist and numbered. She ended up selling it to an arts and crafts dealer for $2500. Not bad for her $3.00 investment.

I prpbably have more I'll have to think about it.
Sue

This message was edited Apr 29, 2007 9:14 AM
GiddyMoon
Carmichael, CA

April 29, 2007
11:35 PM

Post #3446121

Shesh,

there have been so many pay offs or really neat items through the years.

I guess a couple o the more rare and interesting pay offs, 6 vintage toy guns, paid $5 and sold them for about $1500, hollywood scrapbooks dating from early 1900s to the early 1970s, we paid about $1 for the lot and made over $3000, a Cambell's AW soup dress...lying on the middle of the floor, third day of an estate sale. We paid $1 for it, book value was $6000-$8000 and we sold it for a flat $2000 when we needed the money. It sat around on my desk for two years. lol

Oh! I bought a scrapbook and inside was a boxing certificate. We sold it for $500.00.

Those stand out because they were so different and the people that bought them were so excited to buy get them from us.

Some of my personal keeps have been the spool table and wine barrel chairs. We got the table at one sale for $5 and the 4 chairs for $5 at another sale. You can see them in the begginner landscaping thread on my front porch.

I have a full set of Fiesta mixing bowls I paid $20 for and I can get between $600-$1000 on ebay ...but I really want to plant in them. lol

Our whole house has been put togther by finding things we fell in love with one at a time...it is hard to pick.

I know my fav in the livingroom is our tension floor to ceiling UFO light and we have the wall mount ones to go with it.

We have a stamped Ostervig buffet in the livingroom that we paid $100 for. We still need to get around to selling. We will get around $1500 for it..a lot of fun stuff!

OH! My Cushman tresle table..paid 50 and it pops up and seats 12, I LOVE my table!

bivbiv

bivbiv
Central FL, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 30, 2007
10:00 AM

Post #3446969

Giddy, I saw a paper Campbell's Soup dress on Road Show; don't remember the price they gave it, but you certainly did well on yours! You and Glamour have really found some great things.

And, MySharona, the chest is truly lovely.

This is a fun thread, and I hope more people post. One thing to be learned here: Research those finds before selling! And if a dealer offers you $X for something, be wary. It's probably worth $XXX!
GiddyMoon
Carmichael, CA

April 30, 2007
12:20 PM

Post #3447284

Thanks Biv!

It is the hunt we love so much. During the summer months we can easily hit 150 sales over a 3 day weekend.

We do it because we love it and thankfully we are able to make a living and find things for ourselves and family.

Recently some great finds were a very nice redwood picnic table that sits 8, two benches, 2 mini tables with two Adirondack chairs, and a loveseat with coffee table. All were in great shape and repainted barn red...I paid $17 for it all. I was so thrilled. lol

Then the guy threw in a bunch of vintage area fruit crates and a really cool sturdy wood box about 2.5 feet high, wide and deep..we use it for small firewood.

I could go on and on..love it.

bivbiv

bivbiv
Central FL, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 30, 2007
10:28 PM

Post #3449253

I know exactly what you mean! The treasure hunt is great fun. I just wish the "pickings" were better in this area.

I remember several years ago we were on vacation in S. IL, and I bought about 10 decorative cast iron pieces for $5. I brought them home, painted them with elegant finishes, and sold them for $20 or $25 each.
GiddyMoon
Carmichael, CA

April 30, 2007
11:30 PM

Post #3449503

We actually tried really hard to move out of the city...I am not a city girl, but the sales are insane here. People have a hard time believing we hit so many...but we do and we rarely go more than 8-10 miles away from home. We start at 6-7 am and usually last until about 1pm on weekends. We also have different auctions, swat mets, auction houses, etc to hit as well.

We actually met doing this about 8 years ago and have been together ever since. We both love it and it is so cool to find stuff to pass on to other people and pick up stuff along the way dirt cheap for us...in the end everything we buy for ourselves is free!

When we go to a sale and find an item for $10 and we can sell it for $200 and at the same time find a $100 item for ourselves for $10...I love it!

The other day we stopped at a sale and we picked up a rubbermaid composter for $4, I got 5 Abercrombie and Fitch, Structure and Gap shirts for my son at $1 each and they looked new, we got the wood chipper, shredder, mulcher for $20, and then we found all kinds of stuff to resell as well.

The hunt is so much fun. I have been a crazy deal shopper since I was a teen...perfect hobby money money / provider for me. lol

bivbiv

bivbiv
Central FL, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 1, 2007
1:39 PM

Post #3451294

The other day my DH and I enumerated the new pieces of furniture we've purchased in the 33 years of our marriage:

One sofa (which we still use; it pays to buy good quality which lasts)
3 chairs (gave 2 away, the third is in our bedroom)
1 bed (sold it for more than the wholesale price I paid for it)
1 vanity table (same deal as the bed: bought wholesale; sold retail)
1 Mexican credenza
1 small wall-mounted console

I'm an interior designer, and I have a ball being creative in my own home. All the other items in our house were bought in consignment shops, auctions, antique stores, junk stores and yard sales.

Instead of sofas, we have two chaises in front of the fireplace. I found those for $300 in a consignment shop that carries only high-quality merchandise. The price had been reduced each month they didn't sell. They were custom made and built extremely well, but they were covered in a really ugly fabric. Even after buying an expensive fabric and having them reupholstered, they still were cheaper than buying new ones. Also, they were exactly the size and style I wanted. I love turning sow's ears into silk purses!

gardenlady123

gardenlady123
Plainwell, MI
(Zone 5b)

May 31, 2007
12:42 AM

Post #3554957

I have know idea if my item is valuable or not but i recently purchased a very dainty porcelin night light with the sticker on the bottom that says ardaly verithin it has porcelain flowers on it its so dainty i just love it. I only paid 2.99 for it where can i look up something like that? I got it at the salvation army store here. Its painted very pastel colors and the plug looks old one lady thought maybe the 40's? I dont know i just like it. Ronna

bivbiv

bivbiv
Central FL, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 31, 2007
7:57 AM

Post #3556181

You'll sometimes find Ardalt (not Ardaly)
Verithin Japanese porcelain on eBay. Try Google for more information. It's not expensive, but it's delicately pretty.

gardenlady123

gardenlady123
Plainwell, MI
(Zone 5b)

June 1, 2007
12:06 AM

Post #3559075

you are very correct it is pretty and delicate. I really love it.
AYankeeCat
Fairfield County, CT
(Zone 6b)

June 22, 2007
12:56 AM

Post #3643309

Looking at suit coats in a thrift shop, I dug into the breast pocket of a ultrasuede jacket to find the size tag and came up with 3 $50 bills.

bivbiv

bivbiv
Central FL, FL
(Zone 9b)

June 22, 2007
3:32 PM

Post #3645321

Well, in a couple of weeks, I'll be able to really check out a couple of things. DH and I entered our names in the drawing for Antiques Roadshow tickets, and our names were selected! Yippeeeee!
Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 22, 2007
4:10 PM

Post #3645492

But where they antiques, AYankeeCat? I suppose whether they were or not, they were certainly collectible, huh? :-)

Ooo, bivbiv... I'm so jealous! I think that would be SO much fun! Let us know how it goes!
AYankeeCat
Fairfield County, CT
(Zone 6b)

June 22, 2007
5:08 PM

Post #3645686

You're right - I just went to best find and ignored the antique/collectable part. The most lucritive find was a boy scout badge sash from the Goodwill for 50 cents. I was able to get it documented as to age and badges and it went for $130 on eBay.
Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 22, 2007
5:28 PM

Post #3645768

Wow!! I would never have guessed one of those would be worth so much! That's really neat. :-)
AYankeeCat
Fairfield County, CT
(Zone 6b)

June 22, 2007
6:57 PM

Post #3646071

There is at least one whole auction site for Boy Scout stuff. This sash had 3 Eagle Scout badges and was from the 40's (if I remember correctly) and had some fairly rare badge in addition to the Eagle badges. It was also in pristine shape - so that counted. I made some good -but much less - money on two Rainbow Girl bracelets that I picked up in the same Goodwill that year.
Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 22, 2007
7:05 PM

Post #3646108

I didn't mean to dismiss your money find.. I think it's pretty fantastic, actually! I was just teasing about it not being antique.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

June 22, 2007
11:07 PM

Post #3646834

i have my father's eagle scout badge from 1933, the box it came in, and the signed certificate from the scoutmaster. i don't even want to know the value as my brothers would skin me alive if i sold it!
jadajoy
Newport News, VA
(Zone 11)

June 22, 2007
11:32 PM

Post #3646897

Stopped in an out of the way junk store one day, back when I set up at flea markets to sell, and found a wooden table with a removable piece out the top. I wanted a table to sell my wares on and it was kinda small for that but in immaculate condition and great wood so I brought it home for 5.00.

Found out it was the companion table to a Singer Featherweight Sewing Machine. The removable piece was where the machine sat in and attached. Sold it on ebay for 345.00.
Bad part was that same summer I found the sewing machine at an estate sale and wished I had kept the table. I've found many of those machines since then but have never found another table.
jadajoy
Newport News, VA
(Zone 11)

June 22, 2007
11:36 PM

Post #3646914

This thread is getting too long to load. Does someone know how to start a new one?
Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 23, 2007
1:22 PM

Post #3648441

I can start a new one.
Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 23, 2007
1:22 PM

Post #3648445

Never mind, Weedsgalore already did. :-) New thread: http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/738534/
shirleyt
Pearl River, LA

October 26, 2007
10:09 PM

Post #4126829

This was found at an estate sale of a man who carved and painted it himself. It was purchased and treasured by its new owner... What do you think about it???

Thumbnail by shirleyt

daisyavenue
Long Beach, CA
(Zone 10b)

October 27, 2007
1:42 AM

Post #4127495

I love it!
shirleyt
Pearl River, LA

November 16, 2007
5:18 PM

Post #4200107

Only one comment on the carving. I expected more. I guess it is not as interesting as I thought it was...It does lose a lot in a pic ...all the dimension that you see in person is missing in the pic...thanks anyway shirleyt
UniQueTreasures
Beaumont, TX
(Zone 8b)

November 21, 2007
4:59 AM

Post #4216125

Hi Shirley, I just found this thread tonight. I love the way this craftsman lovingly carved not only the men at the table, but also the dishes, etc. What an awesome inspirational find. It's beautiful!

I love reading about everyone else's finds. I'm just going to start on page 2 of this thread now. I hope to share some of my own finds here soon. I've been a treasure collector for years!! :-)

It's good to see some familiar faces here. I'm looking forward to looking around this forum. I can't believe I haven't seen it before.

Janet
shirleyt
Pearl River, LA

November 21, 2007
11:19 PM

Post #4218444

Thanks Janet I was starting to doubt myself. I thought it was great and my friend bought it because she liked it and it broke her heart that no one in the artist family wanted it. She got it at an estate sale. She did not know the man who did it. The amount of work that went into it is unbelievable. You do not do that fast. I really value your opinion since I have seen the fantastic work you do... I am going to search all your threads the very next rainy day... Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. Shirleyt
UniQueTreasures
Beaumont, TX
(Zone 8b)

November 22, 2007
1:06 AM

Post #4218727

Hey Shirley, thanks so much. :-)

Your friend is very lucky to have this wonderful work of art. It IS a shame that his family didn't want it. But their inappreciation is her gain. Some day they will look back and wish they had kept it.

Janet
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

November 22, 2007
1:56 AM

Post #4218915

I kept meaning to comment on that wood peice of yours Shirley but kept getting distracted. I really love that peice!! I can see the detail in it and I feel like I can walk to the back of the peice.
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 22, 2007
4:00 AM

Post #4219255

oh, lord. I'm hooked on another thread. I'll never get anything done on the house again.

LouC
UniQueTreasures
Beaumont, TX
(Zone 8b)

November 22, 2007
4:25 AM

Post #4219327

My sentiments exactly Christy. Check out part II also. :-) C'mon gal. Get that hook DEEPER!!! HAHAHAHAHA
velveteena
Seattle, WA

March 2, 2009
10:11 AM

Post #6209872

Is this thread really dead???
What a shame, it must be said!
All your treasures in there lurking,
While in your gardens you are working.
They long to see the light of day,
And we DG'ers want to say,
"What a score, you lucky soul,"
To find its equal is my goal!
honeypie129
Buffalo, NY

May 6, 2011
3:17 PM

Post #8544325

My best find isn't very valuable (well, maybe 200.00 tops), but finding it was such a rush! Well, actually I have two stories!

I used to sell real estate. One day I was showing an old farm house, and there was a table in the kitchen, a drop-leaf table. I knew that it was from the 1800s. The wood looked like oak. Anyway, I contacted the listing agent about the table, asked her if she would ask the owner if they were willing to sell it. I bought it for 35.00. Took it home, and was using it in my kitchen. I bought two pressed back chair from my brother to go with it.

As time went on, I decided to sell it, so I put an ad in the local paper. I sold the table and two chairs for $300.00!

The other find, though, I still have. I was working as a rental agent, and had to go to an apartment where the tenant had left. Well, she left something behind. I looked at this rocker that someone had painted black. I immediately noticed that it was a ladder-back. I took it home, and my then husband stripped it-had to, and it was a shame too because underneath the black paint was mustard yellow with red and goldleaf around the turnings. I did some research based on the seat, which was hickory spint, in bad shape, and found out that this type seat was at least from 1830. There are remnants of old stuffing between the splints. The chair was originally a regular chair, but someone cut the legs down and added the rocker. It's quite small, but it's a piece of American history to me and is priceless! I take a picture of it and post it, just as soon as I can get the digital camera away from my daughter!
velveteena
Seattle, WA

December 16, 2011
8:01 PM

Post #8932692

The Maxfield Parrish print is lovely---I inherited the same one from my folks. I hope the great deal you got on it has enabled you to put it in a more glorious frame by now. Yesterday I purchased some 1936 Community silver plate: the Coronation pattern. Not a real steal, but cheaper than at an antique store. More silver to polish, but I love the stuff. Probably already had some of that one already...
shihtzumom
Pearisburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

February 15, 2012
12:05 PM

Post #9007800

I just started watching this thread and hope to get it started again:

Here is one of many finds...2 Passe Temp prints that need to be apraised.

Thumbnail by shihtzumom   Thumbnail by shihtzumom
Click an image for an enlarged view.

bivbiv

bivbiv
Central FL, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 15, 2012
1:54 PM

Post #9007951

Lovely.
velveteena
Seattle, WA

February 22, 2012
9:34 PM

Post #9016677

By all means, let's start this one up again. What else can you do but shop for antiques when it's too wet to garden? I am a sucker for pretty paintings, not necessarily old. Problem is, the frames are seldom what one could wish for. If you have carpentry skills, bully for you. I'm doing well just to hang the thing up on the wall! Sometimes I can score a suitable frame from the GoodWill, but those lack a certain je ne sais quoi after being banged around so much. Also, one does run out of wall space! Gina
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 23, 2012
6:59 AM

Post #9016945

FYI a friend told me about a website called EstateSale.org If you go to the website, you can choose your region. Here most of the dealers post up to 100 photos of the home so you can see quite a lot on-line. I love it.

bivbiv

bivbiv
Central FL, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 23, 2012
11:48 AM

Post #9017238

I've always had luck finding cheap but good-looking frames at yard sales. Here's one that was ugly with all black paint. I redid it in a fine crackle finish and tarnished gold leaf.

Thumbnail by bivbiv   Thumbnail by bivbiv
Click an image for an enlarged view.

velveteena
Seattle, WA

May 1, 2012
1:00 PM

Post #9105889

Lovely job on the frame, bivbiv.

bivbiv

bivbiv
Central FL, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 2, 2012
8:10 PM

Post #9107943

Thanks, velveteena. Lou, I subscribe to the estatesale website, too. It's not everywhere, unfortunately.
LoveBrug
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

May 6, 2012
3:43 PM

Post #9112974

My best find was a compete set for 12 of Russel Wright (pinch) flatware with serving pieces. The estate sale wanted 100 dollars for the set I jumped on it and sold it fast for an ungodly sum of money !
Someone needs to start a thread on what are our BEST antiques or collectibles we will never get rid of !

Johnny

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Antiques and Collectibles Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Sampler 1801 Ginger_H 7 Aug 20, 2012 2:34 PM
mingmimi justmeLisa 6 Oct 20, 2007 11:51 AM
Wintermoor what is this? justmeLisa 7 Oct 1, 2011 7:20 PM
Do you collect Depression Glass? What pattern? bluegrassmom 82 Apr 11, 2011 10:14 PM
Can anyone identify these? Terri1948 29 Apr 24, 2009 10:14 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America