Photo by Melody

Plumerias: What about a "new forum" for plumerias?

Communities > Forums > Plumerias
bookmark
Forum: PlumeriasReplies: 56, Views: 851
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Plumeriagod
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 12, 2005
5:43 PM

Post #1334236

Hi, everyone! I was thinking that we should petition for a new forum on plumerias. I've been a member for less than two weeks and have had an overwhelming response from members who love plumerias, but either don't have a good place to post questions or advice related to growing and germinating plumerias in their climate. I believe a forum for plumerias would definately take off!
I've already met members from Texas, Canada, and Israel, who are growing these wonderful plants and would love to have a forum to post in.
Just a thought:)

Thanks,
Randy

Thumbnail by Plumeriagod
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Clare_CA

(Zone 10b)

March 12, 2005
7:42 PM

Post #1334398

I think that is a great idea, Randy. I would love to see a Plumeria forum. I visit the plumeria forums at Maui Plumeria Gardens and GardenWeb, but it would be great to see one here too.

Thumbnail by Clare_CA

TrixieM
Mc Call Creek, MS

March 13, 2005
12:31 AM

Post #1334926

Count me in! I'd love to see a plumeria forum here also!

Kay
dstartz
Deep South Texas, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 13, 2005
2:45 AM

Post #1335138

Even though I have none as of yet I would love to read about them!
art_n_garden
Colorado Springs, CO
(Zone 6a)

March 14, 2005
1:22 AM

Post #1336890

I'd be in for it! How about a plumie/passi forum? Just a suggestion- but I'd be up for a plumeria forum! Susanne
RikerBear
Seattle, WA
(Zone 8b)

March 14, 2005
4:40 PM

Post #1337896

Oh me too!
Shelly221
Denver, CO
(Zone 5b)

March 14, 2005
6:41 PM

Post #1338117

I think it would be great!
eyesoftexas
Toadsuck, TX
(Zone 7a)

March 14, 2005
10:57 PM

Post #1338596

Sounds good Randy, now put it in Daves Garden Forum to get an approval.

"eyes"
Kauai17
Leander, TX
(Zone 8b)

March 14, 2005
11:41 PM

Post #1338669

Count me in. Have one plumeria and can't wait to get more! It would be great to have a place to talk about these beautiful plants!!

rose318

rose318
(Patti) in Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 15, 2005
12:09 AM

Post #1338735

I would love to see a Plumeria forum here on DG.
Eclipse
Norwalk, IA
(Zone 5b)

March 15, 2005
12:44 AM

Post #1338837

works for me too!! :-) Plumeria no ka oi!!
Clare_CA

(Zone 10b)

March 15, 2005
1:40 AM

Post #1338961

Oh, please:-)

Thumbnail by Clare_CA

art_n_garden
Colorado Springs, CO
(Zone 6a)

March 15, 2005
2:00 AM

Post #1339067

Beautiful pictures Clare and Randy!! Mine are just now breaking dormancy...they're gonna go out tomorrow afternoon...a forum sure would get my plumerias and me excited!!

Where do you get your plumies from in Houston Randy? I'm originally from there and obtained (I think) all of mine, strangely enough, from Houston Garden Centers for I think $3 a piece. This is my 3rd growing season with them and am so excited about seeing blooms again. It's nice to find another Houston plumeria grower!
Clare_CA

(Zone 10b)

March 15, 2005
2:40 AM

Post #1339142

Hey, you plumeria lovers, while we are waiting for Dave to start a plumeria forum, come on over to Maui Plumeria Gardens: http://www.mauiplumeriagardens.com/forums/index.php? There are a few people from Texas over there. Botanic Gardens is in Houston Texas, isn't it? Here's a link: http://www.botanictreasures.com/
2pugdogs
(Linda) Winfield, KS
(Zone 6a)

March 15, 2005
3:48 AM

Post #1339211

I don't have any Plumerias but they do look like something I should have. What a pretty flower they have. I would be interested in having a forum for the Plumerias.

art_n_garden, I love Houston Garden Centers. Whenever I go to visit my son in Sugar Land I have to go to HGC, and I have brought back a lot of there flowers to Kansas. Great place to go shopping. Only place we have like that would be Lowe's, or Home Depot. You can sometimes get great plants at Walmart. I do like to go to our local nurseries but they seem to be a little pricey, because of living in a small town, so can't really afford to much at them.

Linda
Plumeriagod
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 17, 2005
9:01 AM

Post #1343423

You know Linda, I do take for granted that I live in a large enough city that has a really good selection of tropical plants! I do remember when I was younger living in a small town and having like ONE nursery to go to or it was just Walmart.
art n garden, I almost bought some plumerias from HGC last summer, but I was afraid that I'd get just a plain ol' white one. I'm definately spoiled!! LOL:) Actually, most of my plumerias were purchased online from Hawaii. However, Teas Nursery has an excellent selection at fair prices. Their not cheap, but fair for the hybrids they carry.
Are you really taking your plumerias out? I guess I'm still fearful of those last minute cold fronts that show up when you least expect them to!!

Randy
Clare_CA

(Zone 10b)

March 17, 2005
6:36 PM

Post #1344402

Randy, many people over at GardenWeb and Maui are taking theirs out this early too, but I am like you and afraid to do so at this point for fear of losing leaves and inflos and possibly roots. Plus I have some really expensive cuttings which are rooting or just rooted, and I don't think they will like the 45-degree temps that we are still having at night. Some of these cost way too much to experiment with!
Nan
SW, WI
(Zone 4b)

March 17, 2005
6:56 PM

Post #1344454

I tried Plumerias back in '99...the spider mites got the best of them...and over-wintering was a 'disaster'!
Haven't tried them since...I should! And if I do...would love to read about them specifically on a forum, if there's enough interest.

Randy...may I ask...which one do you have pictured? I love that color combination!

Plumeriagod
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 18, 2005
1:29 AM

Post #1345196

I agree, Clare. I spent WAY to much money last year on cuttings, fertilizer, and rooting hormone to have them damaged from cool temps. Here in Houston, we always have a late cold front that blows through every spring. I remeber a few years back we had a "freak" ice storm in early April!!! Lost a lot of plants to that one. I always wait until late April or first week of May, before I put everything out into the yard.

Hi, Nan. Don't let those nasty spider mites get you down!!! I've fought them almost all winter in my greenhouse. I lost about 90 or so plumeria seedlings. It was horrible, but I'll start over again. I always have a better outlook when summer arrives. I've never had a bad insect invasion oudoors. "Knock On Wood"!! I think mother nature takes care of those nasty bugs on her own.
I love that particular plumeria!!! It's called "Kimo" and I bought it already rooted several years ago at a local nursery. It never fails to bloom every year. The picture doesn't do it justice! It's more vibrant in person. The flowers are about 3" in diameter with a heavy texture. It has a sweet spicy fragrance. I simply love it!!!:)

Thanks,
Randy
Clare_CA

(Zone 10b)

March 18, 2005
2:50 AM

Post #1345344

Randy, sorry about the plumeria seedlings that you lost. Bayer's insecticide granules work really well on mites. They get absorbed by the plant's roots, and mites are gone! It comes in a blue bottle.

Nan, I agree that you should definitely try again:-)
Plumeriagod
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 18, 2005
2:58 AM

Post #1345362

Clare, thanks for the info. I know it sickened me about the seedlings!:( I noticed that the "Australian seedlings" were hardest hit and didn't survive long at all. The "Hawaiian seedlings" faired better. However, I lost my last "J.L. Hawiian Titanic" seedling a month ago. The "Japanese Lantern" seedlings bounced right back and acted as though nothing had happened! My "Singapore" seedlings faired well too, especially the "Obtusa" and "Bali Palace".

Thanks,
Randy
Clare_CA

(Zone 10b)

March 18, 2005
3:32 AM

Post #1345416

Sounds like you've got some nice seedlings there that survived. I have 42 seedlings -- all of unknown parentage. I had to count again today because I can never remember how many I have! Your Kimo is a beauty.
Plumeriagod
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 18, 2005
3:53 AM

Post #1345449

Thanks, Clare. I have a ton of "unknown" varieties. They held up really well too. I think I should have stopped last year at 42! LOL!!! I just became really addicted to germinating the seeds. I think I had around 280 plumie seedlings last September. My family thought I had lost my mind! LOL:) I told them it was "lost" several years ago.

Randy
Clare_CA

(Zone 10b)

March 18, 2005
3:59 AM

Post #1345457

LOL, and maybe that is why you are a Plumeriagod! It is very easy to become addicted to these plants. What is not to love? They are beautiful and fragrant and low-maintenance. I look forward to comparing photos of seedling blooms with you in a year or two. There is no telling what we might get! Some of these new hybrid beauties can fetch a nice price too -- to help support our habit, of course:-)
Plumeriagod
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 18, 2005
4:12 AM

Post #1345480

Exactly! What is not to love about plumerias? I would love to compare photos with you!!! Most of them I'm going to sell, but a few select one's I'm keeping. I'm always amazed how much a hybrid cutting will bring on ebay!!! I saw "Little's Mosaic" cutting sell for over $200.00!!! Way to expensive for my blood!
Clare, did you know that we have a "new" plumeria forum now? I can't remember if I saw you post over there are not.

Randy
art_n_garden
Colorado Springs, CO
(Zone 6a)

March 18, 2005
5:33 AM

Post #1345607

That's funny that you've been to HGC Linda-- I agree, now that I'm up in Lubbock and my only choices are just like yours HD & Lowes I miss places like that too!
The three I have from there Randy- one is pink, one is deep red and the other has yet to bloom for me. I was really surprised that they came true to the tag! Ya know, actually I think I got the deep red one from Wolfe's before it went out of business. Teas- I love Teas...I always go there whenever I'm visiting in Houston.

I haven't put mine all the way outside just yet-- I pulled them out of the dark closet and put them in front of a window & started watering them (I keep them in pots year round) I'm just letting them yawn and stretch for spring! And it's funny you should mention FREAK winter storm. We had 4 inches of snow fall here 2 days ago...whaaat?? So I'm sure it's on its way down to Houston. Beware! :) Susanne

flyboyFL

flyboyFL
Longboat Key, FL

March 18, 2005
2:49 PM

Post #1346099

Count me in. I'm just a couple of years into them. I have a small lot. I started with a beutiful one in bloom -- a Teresa Wilder -- and a dry stick.

This is a photo of the Teresa Wilder last May. (It looks pretty grim right now, but with about a dozen bud clusters in various stages.)

The dry stick turned out to be a gorgeous white, and grew like a jack-in-the-beanstalk. It shattered two years ago, and I stuck the pieces back into the ground -- and they took like weeds! These are also budded.

Thumbnail by flyboyFL

Clare_CA

(Zone 10b)

March 18, 2005
5:41 PM

Post #1346385

Randy, thanks for the heads up! I'm a dummy. I didn't even notice. I'll go now and check it out.

Flyboy, your TW is awesome! I ordered one from Botanic Treasures and am still waiting for my order to arrive! I told my husband that he was buying me some awesome varieties of plumerias for Christmas, but I don't think I'm going to see my Christmas presents until June! I'm not worried because Milton is very reputable, but I am anxious to get my order soon. Warning about his site: the last time I visited, I dropped over $300! The gallery is awesome: http://www.botanictreasures.com/

flyboyFL

flyboyFL
Longboat Key, FL

March 18, 2005
5:50 PM

Post #1346403

clare_ca:

This is what the TW looks like now. If you look closely you can see the bud heads. When I got it a couple of years ago, it was potted, and had only the three stems with three nubs and blossoms at each of their ends. It now has a couple of scions around the yard, just starting to push out leaves.

Thumbnail by flyboyFL

Clare_CA

(Zone 10b)

March 18, 2005
6:43 PM

Post #1346511

Wow! It's awesome! I can't wait to see it covered in blooms:-) Amazing!

flyboyFL

flyboyFL
Longboat Key, FL

March 18, 2005
7:15 PM

Post #1346569

OUT
Plumeriagod
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 18, 2005
8:57 PM

Post #1346743

Wow, that TW is pretty!!! I'm jealous! Keep up the great work flyboy.
I agree, Susanne. I can't believe all of the snow that we've had across the state! I'm always tempted to stick mine out to early, but am always remembered of the "freak" weather we have here. LOL:) Teas is awesome for plumerias. They aren't the cheapest place I've ever seen, but they have high quality and true named hybrids! I bought a "Kaneohe Sunrise" and "J.L. Pink Pansy" last summer from there. They were pretty picked through, but I got two well rooted plumerias for like $60.00. They both have three growth tips and stand about 2 ft. high. That's where I bought my "Kimo" and "Intense Rainbow" several years back. I think the best time to go is early June and September. Early June to get the "new" varieties and September to get the "specials".

Randy

rose318

rose318
(Patti) in Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 19, 2005
12:13 AM

Post #1347120

Here is one of mine. I don't know the name .

Thumbnail by rose318

rose318

rose318
(Patti) in Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 19, 2005
12:14 AM

Post #1347121

Here is the same plant.

Thumbnail by rose318

rose318

rose318
(Patti) in Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 19, 2005
12:16 AM

Post #1347122

Another.

Thumbnail by rose318

flyboyFL

flyboyFL
Longboat Key, FL

March 19, 2005
1:18 AM

Post #1347208

Wow! They are gorgeous!
Clare_CA

(Zone 10b)

March 19, 2005
1:31 AM

Post #1347240

Those are lovely, Rose!

flyboyFL

flyboyFL
Longboat Key, FL

March 19, 2005
1:48 AM

Post #1347286

Rose:

Are any of them scented?

rose318

rose318
(Patti) in Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 19, 2005
2:10 AM

Post #1347312

Thanks Flyboy and Clare.
Yes, I can' remember what exactly what they smelled like. I am new to collecting plumeria. Last summer was the very first time my plumerias to bloom. I want more.. :0)
art_n_garden
Colorado Springs, CO
(Zone 6a)

March 19, 2005
2:17 AM

Post #1347323

Those are beautiful Patti! I can't wait for mine to bloom again!

rose318

rose318
(Patti) in Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 19, 2005
2:23 AM

Post #1347330

Hey Susanne.
I miss chatting with you . I hope you and your mother is doing well. How are you doing in school? The one you gave me last summer is doing well. I hope it blooms this summer. Take care sweety.
Patti

This message was edited Mar 18, 2005 9:31 PM
Plumeriagod
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 20, 2005
4:24 AM

Post #1349270

Beautiful flowers, Rose:) I think I can say with some certainty that the yellow plumeria flower is an "Aztec Gold". The scent smells of fresh ripe peaches. There's no mistaking the smell of the "Aztec Gold"!!! LOL:) "Aztec Gold" has a strong pink band on the back of each flower petal. I'm uncertain of the varieties of the pink flowered plumerias. Use this link to see if you can recognize any of the flowers from the pictures there. There are 15 pages of named plumeria flowers. Goodluck and thanks for sharing those beautiful flowers!!!
HYPERLINK@www.botanictreasures.com.

Randy
Plumeriagod
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 20, 2005
4:25 AM

Post #1349273

Woops!! That's their email address. Try this link http://www.botanictreasures.com.

Randy
art_n_garden
Colorado Springs, CO
(Zone 6a)

March 20, 2005
10:34 PM

Post #1350547

I'm doing great Patti-thank you! School & work keeps busy. How are you?

I hadn't even noticed that dave gave us the forum!!
Nan
SW, WI
(Zone 4b)

March 30, 2005
6:49 PM

Post #1373163

OK, I took 'the plunge' and bid on some 'Kimo' seeds on ebay...I know it may take some time to see blooms, but the price is right!

Also, maybe if I grow them from seed they'll become better accustomed to my growing conditions and I won't have such a terrible problem w/spider mites this time!

Crossin' me fingers that I win!

Glad to see the forum is up and running!
japet
Winston Salem, NC

April 27, 2005
11:48 AM

Post #1430553

I need some help. Just got 4 plumeria cuttings. How do I plant them.What is the best medium for them?I'm in North Carolina and is planning to put them in pots. do I use big pots now or do I start with a smaller one? Thanks.
Nan
SW, WI
(Zone 4b)

April 27, 2005
3:53 PM

Post #1431039

Japet...check out the new Plumeria forum here on DG...there's lots of helpful tips in the posts.

Also, here's a link the Clare_CA posted in a thread on that forum that should help a lot!

http://www.plumeria101.com/
Maggienile
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

May 20, 2005
11:01 PM

Post #1485674

I would love to see a thread on pllumies. where do people search for vines?
Clare_CA

(Zone 10b)

May 21, 2005
12:10 AM

Post #1485810

Maggienile, Dave's plumeria forum is here: http://davesgarden.com/forums/f/plumerias/

The Vine Forum is here: http://davesgarden.com/forums/f/climbers/

If you want to search for vines in general, you can go to the PlantFiles and do an advance search for vines: http://davesgarden.com/pf/advanced.php?sname=Plants
tootle
Jacksonville, NC
(Zone 8b)

April 21, 2007
5:49 PM

Post #3415873

Hello all... I'd love to see a forum on plumerias! And I've been looking for a White Dwarf Singapore Obtusa, evergreen. Does anyone have suggestions ?
lopaka
Davie, FL
(Zone 10b)

April 22, 2007
12:28 AM

Post #3417060

..ok i'm lost!
FrangipaniAz
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9b)

April 22, 2007
3:47 AM

Post #3417252

I agree... umm, tootle, you're IN a plumeria forum... those other posts were from 2005... lol
Brittany
Clare_CA

(Zone 10b)

April 22, 2007
1:38 PM

Post #3418264

Yah, really old thread. Try Florida Colors for the P. obtusa 'Dwarf Singapore White.' I recommend you get one that is grafted to start with: http://www.floridacolors.com/
tucsonplumeriaz
Tucson, AZ

April 23, 2007
4:13 PM

Post #3422309

ROTFLMAO

i thought for sure that you all had gone off the deep end. i'm thinking to myself, "ugh, what do they call this thing we're writing on?" thanks B, for clueing me in to the date.

This message was edited Apr 23, 2007 1:14 PM
Clare_CA

(Zone 10b)

April 23, 2007
5:29 PM

Post #3422545

Poor Tootle must have been doing a search for something without realizing where this thread actually was.
LhasaLover
(Tammie) Odessa, TX
(Zone 7b)

April 23, 2007
7:12 PM

Post #3422895

I think tootle got scared off! I have been known to make the same mistake and pull up a very old thread.. just get carried away reasearching and reading.. reply then realize what I did.

Tammie
lopaka
Davie, FL
(Zone 10b)

April 25, 2007
2:15 AM

Post #3427995

I think tootle ran after my response..
Hehe!

Well i hope they stay and read this extensive forum..
Tisk Tisk!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Plumerias Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Feeding CaCajun 9 May 12, 2007 12:09 AM
underplanting plumies vossner 21 May 19, 2008 10:33 PM
have neve hard this happen to one of my plumies before junglebob 56 Sep 19, 2007 3:28 AM
Panama plumies vossner 53 Apr 15, 2007 11:22 AM
South Florida Blooms! \(^o^)/ lopaka 184 Jun 12, 2007 5:30 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America