Photo by Melody

Handyman: a peculiar bookcase (Horseshoe, have a look!!)

Communities > Forums > Handyman
bookmark
Forum: HandymanReplies: 56, Views: 346
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
dpmichael
Rethymno, Crete
Greece
(Zone 10b)

March 13, 2005
10:13 PM

Post #1336535

Hi all, this is a documentation of my plans and realizations for a small (but tall) bookcase.
Horseshoe, this is the latest in my DIY furniture series - and please tell me what you think about it.

The challenge is to make good use of the available space:
the footprint is 40 x 50 cm (= 15.75x19.7in), and the height can be upto 225cm (=88.6in).
So, with 8 shelves a total of 50 x 8 = 400cm => 4 meters of shelf surface is available.
To the right of the bookcase there is a door to a bedroom, so the right side of the bookcase will be narrower to ease approach to the room, and the shelves will have a rouunded edge on the right.

Give or take a cm here and there, the footprint (=individual shelf) is pictured here

Dimitri

Thumbnail by dpmichael
Click the image for an enlarged view.

dpmichael
Rethymno, Crete
Greece
(Zone 10b)

March 13, 2005
10:22 PM

Post #1336548

The wood I chose to work with is 2cm thick pine in various widths and lengths - plus a surplus of cypress that has been hanging around for 3 years (since we built the house).

As you look at it, the left-hand side is going to be a massive 2 x 40 x 225 cm board, with all the strength I can give it.

Pine and cypress blend well, and the joining of various pieces together is done with 8mm dowels and glue. Here I use a small piece to let you see what every shelf will look like.

Thumbnail by dpmichael

dpmichael
Rethymno, Crete
Greece
(Zone 10b)

March 13, 2005
10:35 PM

Post #1336567

for the left-hand side, which will be more eye-catching as it is narrower and it lies right next to the bedroom door, I chose cypress pieces from next to the bark, with an irregular edge.

What do you think ???

Thumbnail by dpmichael

dpmichael
Rethymno, Crete
Greece
(Zone 10b)

March 13, 2005
10:46 PM

Post #1336583

The one in the picture above is the bottom shelf, with a height of 33cm, suitable for folders and dossiers which seem to multiply very easily lately. They have a width of about 30cm and will fit well in the large (in terms of shelf depth) space of 40 cm.

The next shelf up will be for standard books, which have a depth of 22cm and will either go too deep into the shelf or, if edged at the front, will leave a lot of space at the back.

So, here I decided to move the back of these shelves forward and create a separate space behind it, and this space will be occupied by a wooden box - it is too narrow and too tall to make a drawer. This is feasible because the left-hand side of the bookase is exposed and accessible.

Thumbnail by dpmichael

sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 13, 2005
10:55 PM

Post #1336599

Dimitri, what a task. You certainly do some nice clean curves. can't wait to see finished pictures.
dpmichael
Rethymno, Crete
Greece
(Zone 10b)

March 13, 2005
11:06 PM

Post #1336630

Hi Sugarweed, thank you for your comment. I enjoy working with awkward bits of wood and take advantage of their natural curves now and then .If you see some older threads in this forum, I managed to make a wall-mirror with coat hangers on it last year, and I enjoyed it very much then as well as now that it is in use.
As for the bookcase, I am afraid you will have to wait for quite a bit, because my work is far from carpentry and I can only work with wood during the weekends.

Till then, back to work now !!!

Thumbnail by dpmichael

Horseshoe
Efland, NC
(Zone 7a)

March 14, 2005
10:12 PM

Post #1338534

Howdy Good Friend!
My goodness, what a great idea!

Your workmanship and your ideas far exceed mine! I like it! Good thinking! And yes, the pine and the cypress sure do blend in well together.

Looks to me like you're having fun with this project. I can't wait to see the end result!

Will you stain it, or put a clear finish on it to show off the grain of the wood(s)? This is a nice piece of "work in progress"...glad you posted pics so we can all watch as it matures to it's final stage.

Thanks a gazillion for posting! I'll be watching this thread.

Shoe.
dpmichael
Rethymno, Crete
Greece
(Zone 10b)

March 14, 2005
10:33 PM

Post #1338566

Hi, Shoe !!!

your comments always boost my will to finish the stuff !!! I can't thank you enough !!!

Well, judging from the varnishes I have seen here and in the UK, pine tends to pick some kind of dirt that sticks on the varnish if it is just transparent, so a stain goes as a rule - and as all my house is of pine / cypress stained with a light walnut shade, this will apply for the bookcase too!!! And here there will be some bark edges etc, but the old bandsaw and woodworm marks you remember are not available as that wood is used by now.

And do you want to see the bedside "table" I am finishing now ?? (I wonder what you call this small furniture next to your bed, for putting a light on it, the alarm clock, and pocket contents and spirins in the drawer and magazines that induce sleep underneath) answer me, and you will see it right now on a new thread.

Dimitri
Horseshoe
Efland, NC
(Zone 7a)

March 14, 2005
10:49 PM

Post #1338589

hah! We also call those "bedside tables"!

I remember the stains you applied to your other projects...that will certainly work on this one, too!

Keep up the good work! Will be looking for your thread on the bedside table!
roadrunner
Hereford, AZ
(Zone 8a)

March 14, 2005
11:34 PM

Post #1338654

I just looked at his Night Stand...very nice...I would like one the same size!! Jo
dpmichael
Rethymno, Crete
Greece
(Zone 10b)

March 15, 2005
10:16 AM

Post #1339446

thank you, roadrunner, I can give the dimensions if you want - just let me know

Dimitri

Dinu

Dinu
Mysore
India
(Zone 10a)

June 17, 2005
11:29 AM

Post #1553853

I'm glad, Dimitri, you are enjoying the products of your handiwork. Nothing pleases us than using articles we have made ourselves, doesn't it? I can tell you from my own experience in making so many things myself. It is such a joy! Since I haven't a digicam I cannot share them here. I recently made a clutch lock for my front door in such a way that we can operate it from both sides, using a tennis racquet string. It is serving the purpose very well.

Dinu
dpmichael
Rethymno, Crete
Greece
(Zone 10b)

June 18, 2005
8:52 PM

Post #1557544

Hi, old boy, haven't heard from you for a very very long time
How's life in India ???

By the way, I just about started putting together this bookcase - I got distracted and started doing other things for 2 months and now I really need it bad - I 'll take picture tomorrow and post it.

How did you construct the clutch lock ? perhaps a drawing you could scan ?

Dimitri

Dinu

Dinu
Mysore
India
(Zone 10a)

June 22, 2005
4:35 AM

Post #1566728

Oh yes, I'm trying to make a drawing. Off to the 'drawing board'!

Dinu

Dinu

Dinu
Mysore
India
(Zone 10a)

June 22, 2005
9:44 AM

Post #1566897

I only hope you can make out from this attempt of putting the idea on paper. Our main door is having a sturdy mesh. I have used this here as we often go out or come in. This is to avoid using the calling bell each time. It's an old door and has no such sophisticated lock. Coming from outside, all we have to do is pull the string - taken out and tied there to the mesh - a bit and push the door in. While opening from inside, we have to do the same method. The spring pulls the metal piece back into its horizontal position as there is a guide screw fixed in the appropriate place. There is one to stop its movement upwards. The angle of the metal piece moving is about 15 degrees. The hook should be able to slide it on the angle and put it down to lock it. I have tried my best to explain, Hope you understand what I have done. I have used all 'junk' materials, not fabricated for the purpose. The string visible outside should not be conspicuous. It's a secret and only those of you residing should know. However, you can have your own modifications.

Dinu

Thumbnail by Dinu

dpmichael
Rethymno, Crete
Greece
(Zone 10b)

June 22, 2005
9:23 PM

Post #1568485

Nice, very nice !!!

I am now in England and cannot do much from here. but I will scan a page from a little book of carpentry gadgets where they show an obvious and a secret mechanism to open a door latch.

Till then, my thanks for your drawing - it helps me to understand how other people solve problems similar to the ones I face.

Dimitri

Dinu

Dinu
Mysore
India
(Zone 10a)

June 23, 2005
4:34 AM

Post #1569436

That's so releiving! To know that you could make out something from my drawing. You are in Old Blighty now?!
Oh yes, please do scan that page for me and that may be another new idea for me to learn.

Dinu
dpmichael
Rethymno, Crete
Greece
(Zone 10b)

July 27, 2005
2:13 PM

Post #1653101

tremendous progress !!! The first half is half done !

In case you thought I had given it up, here is the news:

I thought that 2.16 meters it would be a very heavy piece of furniture, so I decided to make it in two halves, one bottom and one top. So, I did the bottom half, but not yet the boxes that go at the back; so here it is, with some of the books, which needed desperately some storage space, as they were piling up on my floor.

Commments, anyone ??

Dimitri
Horseshoe
Efland, NC
(Zone 7a)

July 27, 2005
2:56 PM

Post #1653195

Good idea to make it in two halves. Can't wait to see it.

(Gonna post a pic?)

dpmichael
Rethymno, Crete
Greece
(Zone 10b)

July 27, 2005
3:29 PM

Post #1653282

Hi, Shoe, thanks a million for your response.

Sorry, I had the pic uploaded but it disappeared somehow - I am at work now, I will post it tonight when I get back -

D
Horseshoe
Efland, NC
(Zone 7a)

July 27, 2005
3:37 PM

Post #1653312

Okay. Thanks! (Sometimes when I post a pic I have to remember to click the Preview button. If I just click Send it doesn't always take.)
dpmichael
Rethymno, Crete
Greece
(Zone 10b)

July 27, 2005
10:58 PM

Post #1654324

after all, here it is:

I am very happy - it looks just like I wanted it to look - it doesn't always happen this way for thew things I make - I usually make them too big.

D

Thumbnail by dpmichael

Horseshoe
Efland, NC
(Zone 7a)

July 28, 2005
1:40 AM

Post #1654689

Wow! Looks great!

I love those "rounded" shelves...looks great the way you put it together!

Love the "brace/side" on the right side...it looks as if it is a support and not a full side. (Hope I'm seeing that correctly.) Love the way it gives it an open-air look instead of a square blocky look.

And, of course you know...is this all made of cypress?

Looks great! That will last many lifetimes!
dpmichael
Rethymno, Crete
Greece
(Zone 10b)

July 28, 2005
7:46 AM

Post #1655241

If you remember (or read the beginning of this thread) the technicality (and peculiarity) of this case is that it is too deep for books (40 cm, =15.7").

So I decided to bring the books forward, enforce the back of the book area to full thickness ( so there is enough support halfway to the back) and behind the book area create a space where wooden boxes will fit in, containing what should not be shown. I am building these boxes now.

The left side wall is 40cm, the right is 28cm (at the bottom shelf), so the shelves have a curve on the right hand side to avoid blocking the entrance to the room right next to the case.

This picture from the side gives you a better idea

D

Thumbnail by dpmichael

Horseshoe
Efland, NC
(Zone 7a)

July 28, 2005
2:46 PM

Post #1655721

OH yeh! Got it!

Great idea! Looks good to me! Lots of storage space in a small area, eh?

I'd say ya done good, Dimitri! Conrats!
MzMunchken
Crestview, FL
(Zone 7b)

July 29, 2005
2:42 AM

Post #1657283

beautiful piece you made Dimitri

Dinu

Dinu
Mysore
India
(Zone 10a)

August 4, 2005
5:48 AM

Post #1670187

Dmitri,
Sure you have come across this site - has some wonderful projects on 'home improvement'.
/bhg/category.jhtml I found that quite useful and interesting. Some of the ideas there are very good.

Dinu
dpmichael
Rethymno, Crete
Greece
(Zone 10b)

August 4, 2005
3:17 PM

Post #1670758

MzMunchken, nice to hear from you, and thank you for the comments. It is quite some time since we chatted, and trying to remember a more easily pronouncable name for you, I went to your DG member page and found your link to your homepage, which leads to a VERY beautiful starting page, but the links do not work beyond the starting page - have a look and fix please? It is so beautiful, that I felt sorry I could not go around and have a look.

Dinu, thank you for the link. I had a quick look and promise to browse extensively. I must tell you, I read a lot of related books, and in the end I start from pencil and paper and do just what is in my brain - many times it proves very difficult, but it always comes out the way I want it exactly.

For the time, I am working on the boxes of the lower half of this bookcase.

Best regards

D.
MzMunchken
Crestview, FL
(Zone 7b)

August 4, 2005
11:35 PM

Post #1671739

Dimitri.. Trish or MzM will work fine... It has been a long time!
I tore down my website after my divorce and move last year, it was too painful for me to look at what I "had"... I am now working on redoing my website with pictures from my new home and garden so the website isn't quite ready yet. Thanks for the comments on the opening page.. I just made that couple days ago.

Dinu

Dinu
Mysore
India
(Zone 10a)

August 5, 2005
4:10 AM

Post #1672258

Dmitri,
By telling 'boxes', you mean to use shutters to cover the books to prevent dust from entering? Do you want to use a sideways sliding shutters or the one that goes into the top by lifting/sliding? The second method seems more suitable as the entire face can be left open.

Dinu
dpmichael
Rethymno, Crete
Greece
(Zone 10b)

August 5, 2005
9:35 PM

Post #1673771

Trish, I sent you an email.

Dinu, I will take a photo tomorrow and send it over to you - they are actually drawers, but too narrow and deep, so they function as boxes which slip in and out.

Please wait for the photo

D

Dinu

Dinu
Mysore
India
(Zone 10a)

August 8, 2005
4:48 AM

Post #1678393

Okay, D.
:D
dpmichael
Rethymno, Crete
Greece
(Zone 10b)

August 8, 2005
9:07 PM

Post #1679711

At long last, here is the promised picture.

Sorry for the delay, I was very busy at work.

Well, you could call them drawers, but they are actually independent boxes, and for drawers they are too narrow and too deep. But still I think it is a good way of utilising the extra space at the back.

I was working on the third one today, and I hope to varnish and have them ready until Friday.

Dimitri

Thumbnail by dpmichael

MzMunchken
Crestview, FL
(Zone 7b)

August 8, 2005
9:18 PM

Post #1679740

oh.. they look like bins... very neat idea!

Dinu

Dinu
Mysore
India
(Zone 10a)

August 9, 2005
10:37 AM

Post #1680867

It's fine for storage utility. May be a framed picture to the box can add some beauty to it? Or, make a clamp to hold one book as a 'display' - it will act as a cover to the draw.
dpmichael
Rethymno, Crete
Greece
(Zone 10b)

August 9, 2005
12:41 PM

Post #1680973

thank you all for your kind comments.

Well, the boxes need a handle (and I have not made up my mind on the style of it yet) and perhaps a smal brass rectangular frame that will allow a label - I can't find anything on Ebay. As for the handle, I wonder between (a) a 16mm diameter hole, (b) a brass antique drawer handle and (c) a DIY handle made of hardwood like the one I used in

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/491312/

I am not in a hurry to decide - the main problem is that these boxes. loaded with paper, will be quite heavy and will need to be held by the handle with one hand - so it had better be sturdy.
Any suggestions welcome.

D
MzMunchken
Crestview, FL
(Zone 7b)

August 10, 2005
5:43 PM

Post #1683334

to combine functionality and practicality *I* would use something like this and it also gives an area to place a label for the contents http://www.vandykes.com/product/02216873/
dpmichael
Rethymno, Crete
Greece
(Zone 10b)

August 10, 2005
9:14 PM

Post #1683609

Thank you, Trish! Very sturdy, practical, and quite a classic design - if I don't come up with anything better, would it be possible that you buy some for me, send them over and I send you the money or something that you would like from Crete ???

I had quite a look, this is a very extensive variety of designs - many thanks, Trish, I am sure I will find here whatever I want and order it strqaight from them so I don't have to bother you.

Dimitri

This message was edited Aug 11, 2005 12:23 AM
MzMunchken
Crestview, FL
(Zone 7b)

August 11, 2005
4:55 PM

Post #1685298

your welcome Dimitri.. glad I could help.. If you don't, I'll be happy to help however on this end.
dpmichael
Rethymno, Crete
Greece
(Zone 10b)

August 23, 2005
1:06 PM

Post #1713730

The boxes are in place, and now the project is half done - the top half is on the bench now.

MzMunch, the wife suggested plain wood knobw, which I found and varnished together with the boxes - I think she was right and they look really nice to me - and I don't know what to stuff in first - there is an awful lot and never enough space.

Shoe, Dinu, Darius, go on and flatter me a bit, it is very bad to taste dust from the sand paper in August while others go to the sea side and lie down for hours...

Love to all

PS I did not get lazy and finished it too late... I was very busy at work, and with some minor other carpentry bits I had to do in parallel, the project took more time than intended...

Ha!! I forgot to upload the pics... so, a new reply will have them !!!

Dimitri

This message was edited Aug 24, 2005 11:18 PM
dpmichael
Rethymno, Crete
Greece
(Zone 10b)

August 24, 2005
8:19 PM

Post #1717012

Boxes closed

Thumbnail by dpmichael

dpmichael
Rethymno, Crete
Greece
(Zone 10b)

August 24, 2005
8:20 PM

Post #1717016

Boxes open

Thumbnail by dpmichael

Horseshoe
Efland, NC
(Zone 7a)

August 25, 2005
12:08 AM

Post #1717477

VERY nice! Luv it!

You should be a furniture designer!

Looks like it has always belonged there!! Great job!
roadrunner
Hereford, AZ
(Zone 8a)

August 25, 2005
12:38 AM

Post #1717528

WOW! What a neat idea...looks grand! Jo
City_Sylvia
Dallas, TX

August 25, 2005
2:22 AM

Post #1717750

Oh my how cool! A functional bookcase! I am for anything that has storage units in it. I love your Night stands too Dimitri, they are spacious and you can move them around to clean. How cool! I wish i could make them.

Sylvia
dpmichael
Rethymno, Crete
Greece
(Zone 10b)

August 25, 2005
2:11 PM

Post #1718653

Thank you all, you are great friends to encourage my efforts -

Shoe, I 'll send you a d-mail tonight

Jo, thanks for your interest, long time no see!!!

Sedrick, if you like I can give you details for these or something else you have in mind - my tools are few, but I put a lot of thinking on what I make and now - after many years - they come out nice.

Dimitri
sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 25, 2005
2:21 PM

Post #1718673

This came out very professional looking.
I lke the boxes plain too Dimitri, especially for things you want to conceal.
You are a very accomplished cabinet maker and it shows in your meticulas work.
sidney
City_Sylvia
Dallas, TX

August 26, 2005
4:22 AM

Post #1720337

Thank you Dimitri...but my tools consist of a Ryobi drill which still intimidates me. I wish I could take a woodworking class for girls. There are so many things I would tackle ... if only using MDF board.
Sylvia
dpmichael
Rethymno, Crete
Greece
(Zone 10b)

August 26, 2005
10:03 PM

Post #1721911

Thank you, sugarweed, you are very kind. I am not a cabinet maker- I can't even make nad fit a proper cabinet door - but if I have time, I spend a lot of it thinking how to tackle best every problem - it is a great advantage that only amateurs have, while professionals need to produce results quickly in order to make money.

Sylvia, don't try to find woodworking class for girls - go to the boys' class or even better, try what I did in my youth: find a retired pro, work with him and pay him to show you the basics, ask him for the keys to his workshop, and for some guidance now and then - and prepare yourself to go to bed often exhausted, with sawdust sticking on you and no courage to take a shower, just lie down and sleep like a log - you will see the results pretty soon.

Dimitri
City_Sylvia
Dallas, TX

August 27, 2005
12:24 AM

Post #1722149

Oh Mercy! when will I find time to garden?
((((lol))))
Sylvia
dpmichael
Rethymno, Crete
Greece
(Zone 10b)

August 27, 2005
11:03 PM

Post #1723990

You can find some time for this and some time for that - this is what a hobby is all about. You don't need to achieve anything - you can find a wekend to make a simple book shelf and work in your garden the rest of the time. Or wait for some other period in your life with better circumstances. For this particular concept I find the principle of reincarnation very convenient - I have already loaded several things on the schedule for next life, as the present one is not enough for my enless interests and pastimes !!!

D
City_Sylvia
Dallas, TX

August 28, 2005
1:03 AM

Post #1724203

Or wait for some other period in your life with better circumstances.

I hear you Dimitri...thank you. you are so encouriging!
Sylvia
dpmichael
Rethymno, Crete
Greece
(Zone 10b)

August 28, 2005
9:40 PM

Post #1725920

I said that because, especially for woodworking, an extraordinary turn of fate brought me where I am:

As a youngster, I enjoyed watching carpenters and shoemakers and blacksmiths work; as a student I had neither money nor space; as a young trainee doctor I had a small workshop and managed to make some basic furniture; then for 5 years in England I had neither time nor space nor energy - I worked very hard; I came back in 1989, with dreams to establish a workshop - now there was some money. I lived in flats and worked even harder until 1999, when I had an extensive heart attack; I even gave away my tools to friends being sure that I had to abandon my dreams; Yet, that year we bought a big plot of land, in 2 years we built a house and in the basement I now have a fully developed workshop that keeps me happy. That is the reason behind the sentence I wrote for you yesterday - when you think that you are on a dead end, just then the horizon broadens.

you need the deepest darkness on midnight to weave the rosy colours of dawn
D
MzMunchken
Crestview, FL
(Zone 7b)

August 29, 2005
2:24 PM

Post #1727311

Dimitri...
I like the wood knobs.. they look very nice!
dpmichael
Rethymno, Crete
Greece
(Zone 10b)

August 29, 2005
9:07 PM

Post #1728076

MzM, it was quite a surprise for me; I found these plain round birch knobs at the hardware store in a village, and bought them for another thing I have in mind; I still wanted the brass utilitarian handles for the boxes. My wife suggested I put plain knobs, I did it because there was nothing needed to buy and I knew she would not object as she suggested them. They came out surprisingly nice. Thank you for spending your time with my carpentry problems.

Dimitri
judycooksey
Pocahontas, TN
(Zone 7b)

March 17, 2007
6:20 PM

Post #3292438

Beautiful work!!!

Judy
dpmichael
Rethymno, Crete
Greece
(Zone 10b)

March 17, 2007
6:57 PM

Post #3292532

Thank you, Judy, it is already an "old" piece of furniture now. I have already completed a cupboard made to hide some electricity boards in the livingroom and now I am about to finish this one:
http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/691714/

Silvia, what happened with the woodworking class? Have you managed something?

Many thanks again, to all.

Dimitri

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Handyman Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Easy "Water Pic" Hole Digger roadrunner 20 Apr 11, 2008 3:43 AM
My rain water harvesting pics Dinu 24 Mar 31, 2009 4:28 PM
concrete stain crestedchik 7 May 30, 2007 4:27 AM
hard to move sliding glass door Janiejoy 10 Jul 9, 2009 3:37 PM
light bulbs keep going out rubyw 16 Dec 7, 2007 11:11 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America