Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Handyman: painting the bathroom

Communities > Forums > Handyman
bookmark
Forum: HandymanReplies: 9, Views: 155
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
robinz
PNW, WA
(Zone 8a)

March 19, 2005
3:36 AM

Post #1347460

I tried to search for this but couldn't find it. Back several months ago I was reading this forum and there was talk of some kind of sealer put on bathroom walls before you paint in order to keep them from getting mildew. We have a moisture problem in our bathroom that I want to take care of this year but I don't want to rip all the wallboard out. I'd like to clean it with TSP or if someone has a better suggestion and then paint it.

Any help would be great.

Robinz
mstrgrdnr
SE GA, GA
(Zone 8a)

March 19, 2005
11:36 PM

Post #1348809

Clean the walls well with TSP and be sure to rinse them clean.

Allow to dry several days before proceeding to the next step.

Prime the bath with an oil-based primer such as Kilz or Fresh Start (from Benjamin Moore).

Top coat with a latex paint.

There are additives that your paint store can put into the paint for you to repress the mildew, but I don't use them. I find that proper preparation, priming, and then top coating will do the same thing with less expense and aggravation.

Aubrey
robinz
PNW, WA
(Zone 8a)

March 20, 2005
2:50 AM

Post #1349113

Thank you so much for your help.

Robin
ginlyn
Harford County, MD
(Zone 6b)

March 20, 2005
9:40 PM

Post #1350474

robinz, we had a lot of trouble with mildew on the ceiling around the shower stall. I would clean it with bleach then paint it, but it always came back.

I painted it with this,( after cleaning with bleach and rinsing well) and have not seen any mildew at all. That was about 3 years ago.

For this particular paint, they do not recommend cleaning with TSP. I have no idea why.

You can get this at Home Depot. Ginny

Thumbnail by ginlyn
Click the image for an enlarged view.

robinz
PNW, WA
(Zone 8a)

March 21, 2005
3:49 AM

Post #1351166

WoW ginlyn that sounds like just what the dr ordered. Very interesting stuff. Do they add color to it or does it only come in white? Can't wait for it to warm up enough that we can tackle that bathroom. With so little ventilation I have to be able to open windows in the adjoining rooms.

Thank you

Robinz
ginlyn
Harford County, MD
(Zone 6b)

March 21, 2005
10:59 AM

Post #1351543

Robin, I wanted white since it was for my ceiling, but at the bottom of the label it say's it's tintable, so I imagine you can get the color you want.
The bathroom I used it in has a window but no exaust fan and always got mildew even if you opened the window to let the moisture out. Our main bath has the fan but no window and never gets the mildew, even though the shower is used just as much.
MollyMc
Archer/Bronson, FL
(Zone 8b)

March 21, 2005
11:12 AM

Post #1351551

The PermaWhite does work. They guarantee it for 5 years on the mildew. I have used it a couple times on "problem" bathrooms such us yours and have not been called back with any complaints by the customer.

I believe it's tintable to pastel colors though, unless they have come up with deeper tint bases.

Molly
:^)))
(House Painter)
robinz
PNW, WA
(Zone 8a)

March 22, 2005
1:20 AM

Post #1353206

Thanks everyone. For the first time in a long time I'm actually looking forward to tackeling that bathroom. There is hope now that it might turn out nice!

Robin
BriarRose74
Moon Twp, PA
(Zone 6a)

June 11, 2005
1:25 PM

Post #1538709

Robin,
I just found this thread. How did the bathroom come out? ~ Suzi :)
robinz
PNW, WA
(Zone 8a)

June 12, 2005
9:11 PM

Post #1542256

It didn't yet. It isn't warm enough yet for us to paint indoors as I want to be able to leave the doors and windows open while we are working. We have nice days here and there but nothing consistant. It pretty much rains every day or every other day.

I'll post when we get it done.

Robin

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Handyman Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Easy "Water Pic" Hole Digger roadrunner 20 Apr 11, 2008 3:43 AM
My rain water harvesting pics Dinu 24 Mar 31, 2009 4:28 PM
a peculiar bookcase (Horseshoe, have a look!!) dpmichael 56 Mar 17, 2007 6:57 PM
concrete stain crestedchik 7 May 30, 2007 4:27 AM
hard to move sliding glass door Janiejoy 10 Jul 9, 2009 3:37 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America