Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Soil and Composting: Composting 101?

Communities > Forums > Soil and Composting
bookmark
Forum: Soil and CompostingReplies: 1, Views: 149
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
redbelly
Denver, CO
(Zone 5b)

March 20, 2005
11:49 AM

Post #1349506

Hey all,

I have an established perenial bed that has been a little neglegted for the last few years. I'd like to try and improve the soil quality with some compost before things really get going in the bed. Things are already starting to show some growth as its been a warm winter. I am concerned however that composting around established plantings may harm them. Is this a valid concern? If so then how do you go about improving soil quality in established beds?

Thanks!
kdjoergensen
Waxhaw (Charlotte), NC
(Zone 7b)

March 20, 2005
6:51 PM

Post #1350225

If you use well aged compost, then you have nothing to fear about adding compost around established perennials. If you use compost which has not had a chance to age properly, then it may be a concern. Especially manures which did not compost properly, or diseased plants which also did not have time to break down could be a problem. Generally, if compost has no "recognizable" parts anylonger, you can successfully compost it. I add compost to my beds if it is 9-12 months old.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Soil and Composting Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Clay poppysue 16 Oct 21, 2013 3:56 PM
Free compost, myth or truth JaiMarye 14 Oct 27, 2010 6:58 AM
Who Bakes Dirt 76summerwind 29 Apr 4, 2008 6:22 PM
sterilizing options tiG 22 Mar 29, 2008 7:47 PM
Soil & Fertilizer: Compost Tea SoCal 119 Mar 5, 2008 11:18 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America