Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

California Gardening: Look whats blooming at my house!

Communities > Forums > California Gardening
bookmark
Forum: California GardeningReplies: 99, Views: 496
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
PudgyMudpies

(Zone 9a)

March 24, 2005
4:18 PM

Post #1359671

Pink Champagne Clematis, she is blooming her heart out for me. I have her planted in with my Thunbergia Grandiflora & she has to really compete for space, so I guess she is trying to get all her blooming done before the T's really start filling out. LOL

Thumbnail by PudgyMudpies
Click the image for an enlarged view.

lisamr
Roseville, CA
(Zone 8a)

March 24, 2005
4:20 PM

Post #1359676

Wow..it's beautiful! Nice job PudgyMudpies!
picturelady
San Jose, CA
(Zone 9a)

March 24, 2005
4:46 PM

Post #1359740

I love clematis and have a new garden structure that I think it would look nice on...it seems delicate to me though, so I have never tried one. What does it need light and water-wise? Maybe I can find a spot for one!

This area gets morning sun and then shade in the summer...

Thumbnail by picturelady

Kell

Kell
Northern California, CA
(Zone 9b)

March 24, 2005
5:07 PM

Post #1359793

Such a pretty flower. I have tried to grow these over the years and sadly they never do great for me. I have seen well grown ones, and I am thrilled with them.
PudgyMudpies

(Zone 9a)

March 24, 2005
5:47 PM

Post #1359887

Well, the experts say that Clematis need full sun on the top & the roots in shade. I am up to 19 clematis & I have them alllllll over the place. LOL
I have some that are on the east side of the house in pots & climbing up the legs of my patio cover, and the sun is blocked by the eaves by 10am and they do fine. The one in the pic is on the west side of the house in the ground & the trees keep it in nearly full shade & as you can see, it is happy.
So I think our California weather is hot enough that direct sun is probably not needed.
Picturelady, your trellis is lovely and I don't think you would have any problems planting one there, just keep in mind that they do not bloom all summer. I usually get 2 bloomings a year on mine, the Jackmanii seems to be the longest. They do look really fragile and I guess they are, it always amazes me that those scrawny little twig-like stems can hold up the whole plant. LOL I have accidently bent many a stem while trying to train mine to go where I want, and as long as I tie them up to straighten the crease I made, they continue to grow just fine.

lilystorm
San Jose, CA

March 24, 2005
6:05 PM

Post #1359928

What a pretty flower. I have a couple of clematis intermixed with other things in part-shade. They are so delicate that I don't notice them amongst the other plants until they start to bloom. Then, they really jump out at me.
Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

March 24, 2005
6:45 PM

Post #1360026

Ooh, Clematis is addicting.. This will be the second year for the plants I have They are all doing great, I was afraid that we got too hot here, but they are doing fine. Lots of mulch around the pots, and in the pots. Right now only have one in the ground of sorts. That one you have is really elegant and pretty.
PudgyMudpies

(Zone 9a)

March 24, 2005
6:57 PM

Post #1360056

I was at wal mart last year & I saw a 1 gallon pot with the stake and pic on it & it was this one. The plant was so pathetic, I was not even sure it would survive a ride home. It was $9.99 & I said no way. Well, everytime I went into wal mart, there was that poor thing, never got looking any worse, just kept hanging in there. I kept asking the gal (not a real pleasant person) if they were ever gonna mark it down and she would say to the effect, do you SEE a markdown on it? And I would tuck my tail between my legs and slink off. hehehe Scary gal.
Anyway, by the middle of summer I was in there again & sure enough, it was sitting there. I summoned up my courage & I pretty much yelled at her & said, HEY! This is nonsense, the darn thing is gonna die & then you get nothing. Mark the thing down & I will take it! She was a bit shocked & called her manager & he marked it down to $6 and it came home with me. ROTF
I shook the whole way home. I am such a wussy.
So when I see the flowers I always feel like she is saying THANK YOU.
Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

March 24, 2005
7:16 PM

Post #1360099

I never find markdowns at Walmart.. but Lowes on the other hand...lol. I just got 20 one gallon vines for 1.50 each.. I could not believe it. I was able to replace a couple lost to gophers or winter, don't know which. but, in that stash was a small Riversi.. right now they are all in the ground except a couple that I have to find the right place for.

These are the clematis I have: Royalty, Josephine, Piilu, Henryi, Will Goodwin (has buds on it), Niobe, Sweet Autumn, Jackmani, Durandii, Nelly Moser, Blue Light, Gen. Sikorsky, Polish Spirit, Ernest (red from Walmart), Fireworks (purple from Walmart), Armandi, Pitcheri and Texensis from a friend. ALmost all are in pots, Those gophers scare me so much , that even having a couple of acres of land, I still have all these pots around. It makes me mad..lol
lisamr
Roseville, CA
(Zone 8a)

March 24, 2005
7:23 PM

Post #1360111

Well PudgyMudpies...I applaud your bravery!! woo hoo way to go!! Since I'm a wussy too...sometimes even after posting in the forums here I feel a little shakey. But you saved the clematis!! *applauds*
PudgyMudpies

(Zone 9a)

March 24, 2005
8:19 PM

Post #1360231

Lisa, are we related by any chance? LOL
geoz
Forestville, CA
(Zone 9a)

March 25, 2005
4:19 PM

Post #1361825

Hey Gourd, what size pot to you nave your clematis in? Do you bury the pots in the ground?
George
PudgyMudpies

(Zone 9a)

March 25, 2005
5:35 PM

Post #1361976

Gourd, how did I miss your post??? LOL
It sounds like you have alot of lovely ones! I have NEVER seen a markdown at wal mart either, and at our Lowes, things they mark down are too far gone to salvage.
How long have you kept yours in pots? The ones I have potted up have been in them for about 3 years. I sure hope they do not outgrow their space cuz I am gonna be in big trouble if they do.
I have:
THE PRESIDENT
JACKMANII
NELLIE MOSER
RAYMOND EVISON CLEMATIS: RHAPSODY
RAYMOND EVISON CLEMATIS: ALBA LUXURIANS
LADY LONDESBOROUGH
MACRO, MARKHAMS PINK
HAGLEY HYBRID
VOLUCEAU
Cartmanaii Joe
Viticella Blue Bell
Star of India
Pink Champagne-aka-Kakio
Clematis Piilu
Clematis Montana rubens “odorata”
Clematis x durandii
MARGARET HUNT
DOROTHY WALTON(aka Bagatelle)
Ville de lyon
PudgyMudpies

(Zone 9a)

March 26, 2005
7:41 PM

Post #1364437

Lady Londesborough bloomed today. What a beauty!

Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

March 27, 2005
1:38 AM

Post #1365154

George,
Most of the ones from Parks are in one gallon pots (they seemed to be small) they've been in those for two years now , about 5 that have grown some are in 5 gal pots. I don't know where I read to keep them in pots for about a year or two, then to plant them into the ground. The first ones that I put straight into the ground did not survive. So, I guess that was good advice.. I did have other plants that I buried the pots and all into the ground, I cut off the bottoms. I may have to do this with the clematis (gopher control)..

Pudgy, you have some nice ones. I can hardly wait till they bloom. Last year the Sweet Autumn just took off and had some blooms, this year that thing is humongous.. lol.

Zuzu
Sebastopol, CA
(Zone 9a)

March 27, 2005
1:42 AM

Post #1365156

Pudgy, your pictures are gorgeous, especially the Lady Londesborough. I bought a Clematis "Dawn" today. I had never seen one before. Do you have it? The colors are almost eerie, but it's a real beauty.
PudgyMudpies

(Zone 9a)

March 27, 2005
3:09 AM

Post #1365302

Zuzu, that is so pretty! I just looked it up & it looks really pearly.
http://clematis.org/clematis_a-z/index.html?action=view&ID=00074
I have not seen that one before but I realllllly like it!
Gourd, I have heard that the sweet autumn is really fragrant, but just don't have room for it. Does it smell super dooper? :~)
Zuzu
Sebastopol, CA
(Zone 9a)

March 27, 2005
3:44 AM

Post #1365355

It is very pearly. The other one I bought today is Proteus. Very pretty, but not spectacular like Dawn. I also have the sweet autumn clematis and it's fragrant, but not as fragrant as Armandii. That one grows as big as a house and even if you really love the smell, you have to grow it somewhere back in the north forty or keep your windows closed at night while it's blooming. Otherwise, you won't be able to sleep.
PudgyMudpies

(Zone 9a)

March 27, 2005
3:51 AM

Post #1365367

LOL, wow. Too much of a good thing, huh?
BloomsWithaView
Moab, UT
(Zone 6b)

March 27, 2005
4:09 AM

Post #1365395

Zuzu, I've gotta try Armandi then. Am planning on putting in Sweet Autumn this year. I have a major love affair with plants that thrive and eat my garden, this is the year for adding vines.
And Gourd I'd have wrestled you for some of those at a buck and a half we might have come to cart crashing. grinnns.

Hope you folks don't mind me lurking around here. /;-)~ ~Blooms
Zuzu
Sebastopol, CA
(Zone 9a)

March 27, 2005
6:15 AM

Post #1365563

Are you kidding? We love you lurking around here. Cart-crashing? We would have rolled Gourd like a drunk if I had been there.

I promise you, Armandii will eat your garden and your house if you let it. The best thing, though, is that it's in full bloom before most other things are even breaking through to the surface. It blooms around the same time as quince. Have you ever grown Agdestis? It's supposed to eat your garden too. I bought one this year to try it out. It's still only about 2 inches high, so I don't know what fabulous things it's going to do yet. I got it from YuccaDo a couple of weeks ago.
PudgyMudpies

(Zone 9a)

March 27, 2005
2:32 PM

Post #1365967

I have never heard of agdestis. I tried to look it up but cannot find a pic, can you post one?
Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

March 27, 2005
6:44 PM

Post #1366435

Blooms, you're welcome to crash us anytime.. I better get those vines into the ground..lol before they dissappear.. A good time to go to Lowes is on Friday afternoon, that is when they pull all the stuff they put out on discount for the weekend.. you can beat the weekend shoppers.

I found that out by accident, both times that they have had them on sale have happened on Fridays.

Okay, back to what is a agdestis? I'm a vine nut also.
Zuzu
Sebastopol, CA
(Zone 9a)

March 27, 2005
9:11 PM

Post #1366719

Sorry, Pudgy and Gourd--

I went back to YuccaDo to get a link of the agdestis picture that had seduced me into buying the plant, but it apparently was so seductive that they don't have any more, because the search turned up nothing. It was the first item on their vines page, but it must be sold out. Anyway, it's called Agdestis clematidea, it grows from a tuber, and supposedly will get huge and obscure any view you want to hide. It dies back in winter, at which point you can move the tuber in case you have a worse spot to hide. It looks like a very dense potato vine with much prettier flowers, more like clematis flowers. The flowers are white and the picture looked irresistible.
PudgyMudpies

(Zone 9a)

March 29, 2005
9:43 PM

Post #1371429

sounds interesting, Zuzu, can you post a pic when it blooms?
This morning while it was all drizzly and wet outside, Nellie Moser decided to start opening.

Zuzu
Sebastopol, CA
(Zone 9a)

March 30, 2005
4:20 AM

Post #1372117

Your Nellie Moser is beautiful. What a perfect bloom! It belongs in a flower show.

I will post a picture when the agdestis blooms, but I did some research on it and found good news, neutral news, and bad news. The good news is that each panicle has from 50 to 100 flowers. Sounds luscious. The neutral (I guess) news is that the root can grow big enough to weigh 68 kilograms. I think that's about 30 pounds, right? The bad news is that it has a "horrid odor, more fetid than skunk cabbage."

When it blooms, I'll let you know whether it's pretty enough to make up for its "horrid" scent. It might be a good thing you couldn't find any to buy. Fortunately, I planted it along the fence between my garden and the garden of my least favorite neighbor. Now if the wind could just blow only in the right direction...
PudgyMudpies

(Zone 9a)

March 30, 2005
4:34 AM

Post #1372146

"Fortunately, I planted it along the fence between my garden and the garden of my least favorite neighbor. Now if the wind could just blow only in the right direction..." ROTFL!!!
Too funny.
Yes, I can see that the news is for sure mixed, a 30lb root could be an issue if you did not plan ahead for it, but it sounds like you have... unless the wind shifts...LOLOLOL
I think it might have to be pretty spectacular to outweigh (no pun intended) the negatives.
Thanks for the compliment on Nellie, she opened the rest of the way this afternoon. There are buds all over her, so soon I should see quite a show.

Zuzu
Sebastopol, CA
(Zone 9a)

March 30, 2005
4:37 AM

Post #1372151

ROTFL here too. "Outweigh," indeed!
Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

March 31, 2005
3:35 AM

Post #1374027

Donna, that photo is nice.. the nelly moser I have hasn't bloomed yet, hopefully this year. You know, I did not notice if the Sweet Autumn had a fragrance or not.. usually I smell everything, but can't recall anything on this one.

This is Josephine.. it sure did take it's time opening..lol will try for a better picture later on.

Thumbnail by Gourd

PudgyMudpies

(Zone 9a)

April 2, 2005
9:26 PM

Post #1379764

Yesterday I had several buds starting to split on "The President" clematis and today they are all opening up. There are at least 15 more that have not even started to split yet. Talk about a pleaser!

PudgyMudpies

(Zone 9a)

April 2, 2005
9:28 PM

Post #1379769

And Nellie has decided to open a few more too.

mmqc
San Jose, CA

April 5, 2005
10:04 PM

Post #1386066

my clematis vines are starting to bloom here too. here's hf young, i think.

Thumbnail by mmqc

PudgyMudpies

(Zone 9a)

April 5, 2005
11:37 PM

Post #1386206

Really pretty, the blooms look big! Which other ones do you have?
baumgart
San Jose, CA

April 7, 2005
4:57 PM

Post #1389394

Pudgymudpies post reminded me of my Walmart experience with Clematis. 2 years ago I bought 2 clematis there in small, maybe 3" pots. They were marked as the alpina type with nodding, light blue flowers. Really pretty pictures on the label. Well, one of them died shortly, the other one is thriving, only it turned out to be the common jackmanii. I still like it though, as it weaves through my Graham Thomas rose. The gold and purple go well together. Sorry, no photo.
PudgyMudpies

(Zone 9a)

April 7, 2005
5:04 PM

Post #1389409

And Jackmanii is such a profuse bloomer too. I bet that is lovely with the rose!
That is why I always try to get my clematis from them as soon as they arrive, because I have seen the employees actually pick up the tag sticks that have been pulled out & stick them in whatever pot does not have one. LOL I have been watching & watching, but so far nothing. I wish they would hurry up & get them, it seems like every time I go in "just to check", I come out with something OTHER then a clematis! HA

Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

April 7, 2005
5:32 PM

Post #1389455

Those are great looking clematis there, . There is one that I really want to see in bloom and that is Niobe (I think that is supposed to be a deep red color).. I got one at Walmart and it was spelled Niboe so I thought it was something else, they had spelled it wrong on the label. Let's see what comes out of that one.

I have to get back there and check out the Clematis again..
PudgyMudpies

(Zone 9a)

April 7, 2005
5:58 PM

Post #1389551

I have noticed that with some of the clematis I have bought, not just from Wal Mart, that the spelling is different. I was thinking it had to do with patents?
mmqc
San Jose, CA

April 8, 2005
5:47 AM

Post #1390641

i only have a few other ones.. ramona, crimson star, ernest markham and one or two other ones i don't remember. here's ramona. i think this was one i got from walmart. :) it has nice big flowers.

Thumbnail by mmqc

mmqc
San Jose, CA

April 8, 2005
5:56 AM

Post #1390652

this is either crimson star or ernest markham. flower isn't as big as the previous two but it may be because it's in a gallon pot.

Thumbnail by mmqc

Calif_Sue

Calif_Sue
Northern California
United States
(Zone 9a)

April 8, 2005
6:27 AM

Post #1390684

Took these the other evening, loving the bright splashes of color here and there. Nasteriums bloming from dropped seeds. Even this caster that I have in a 5 gal. pot over wintered. Looked too good to pull out.

Thumbnail by Calif_Sue

Calif_Sue

Calif_Sue
Northern California
United States
(Zone 9a)

April 8, 2005
6:29 AM

Post #1390685

I just love how all these ground covers intertwine, making an interesting tapestry.

Thumbnail by Calif_Sue

Calif_Sue

Calif_Sue
Northern California
United States
(Zone 9a)

April 8, 2005
6:32 AM

Post #1390689

Senecio ‘Mixed Hybrids’ aka Cineraria stellata, Old Fashioned Tall.
I bought a six pack years ago and now have them self seed everywhere. Love the early jolt of purples, occasionaly I will get a blue.
Slugs like the leaves it seems!

This message was edited Apr 7, 2005 11:36 PM

Thumbnail by Calif_Sue

Calif_Sue

Calif_Sue
Northern California
United States
(Zone 9a)

April 8, 2005
6:34 AM

Post #1390690

And more of the above, with a lime geranium and an old blue iris in the background.

Thumbnail by Calif_Sue

Zuzu
Sebastopol, CA
(Zone 9a)

April 8, 2005
6:40 AM

Post #1390694

Sue, your tapestry pictures are just stunning. Is your Arum under control? I've written in several forums about the plague of Arum that consumes my garden until March, when it dies down and I can finally see the rest of my plants. I wouldn't go so far as to call it the devil's spawn, but my vision of heaven is definitely Arum-free.
PudgyMudpies

(Zone 9a)

April 8, 2005
12:56 PM

Post #1390908

What GORGEOUS pictures you are all posting!
mmqc, your clematis are lovely, such deep rich colors, & Calif_sue, your colors are so bright & I love the way they all blend so well. Just wonderful. In your second picture, the pink on the left, I know I know what that plant is but I cannot think of the name. Please put me out of my suspense. LOL
Isn't this just the BEST time of year? We are so blessed to be Californians & have the weather we have. I have lived here all my life & never really known anyone outside of CA until joining Daves & meeting people from all over the nation & realizing just how different their weather is from ours. It gives me a whole new appreciation of our loooong growing season. :~)
Donna

Calif_Sue

Calif_Sue
Northern California
United States
(Zone 9a)

April 8, 2005
3:39 PM

Post #1391243

Donna, that's Diascia barbarae“Twinspur”. http://www.anniesannuals.com/signs/list/parent_redirect.htm

Zuzu, that stuff pops up everywhere, I try to pull the little ones where I can, some I leave if the spot is free as I do love the leaves. Such a weird plant, how it spreads. This year I am now finding it in the front yard as well.
PudgyMudpies

(Zone 9a)

April 8, 2005
3:42 PM

Post #1391254

Yes! That is the name! Duh. LOL I have 2 plants, one is pink & just starting to bloom again, and the other is coral & it is just waking up. I just love them! I have one in hot sun & the other in full shade & they are both happy. Thanks for releasing my brain lock.
Donna

Calif_Sue

Calif_Sue
Northern California
United States
(Zone 9a)

April 8, 2005
3:58 PM

Post #1391286

I have this one growing in a very large pot. Cantua buxifolia
"Sacred Flower of the Andes"
http://www.anniesannuals.com/signs/list/parent_redirect.htm

Thumbnail by Calif_Sue

racerwidow
Atascadero, CA
(Zone 9a)

April 8, 2005
7:03 PM

Post #1391584

hi, I read about Thunbergia Togoensis, I love it but cannot find out how to purchase. HELP!! I have to have it.
racerwidow
Atascadero, CA
(Zone 9a)

April 8, 2005
7:05 PM

Post #1391587

Hey Calif Sue, That is a beauty. Does it grow from seed?
PudgyMudpies

(Zone 9a)

April 8, 2005
7:20 PM

Post #1391605

Oh Sue, that is so pretty! I have to look that up, I have not heard of it before.

Racerwidow, I know the place I got them is out of business, but I just did a search on google & I see a seller on ebay has it. I don't know the seller so this is not a referal. It is rather rare so you will not have an easy time finding it. But if you do, you will LOVE it.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=20529&item=4371454883&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

Good luck!
Donna

Calif_Sue

Calif_Sue
Northern California
United States
(Zone 9a)

April 8, 2005
7:24 PM

Post #1391618

Not sure about the seeds for that one, guess I will have to try and save some and find out!
Zuzu
Sebastopol, CA
(Zone 9a)

April 8, 2005
8:42 PM

Post #1391739

Sue, the leaves are pretty, but if there's any way you can contain it, do it now. In my neighborhood it spread from a single house plant, which some unknowing person planted outside, to a dense carpet that covers the gardens of 45 houses, each with at least half an acre of land. There's no way of killing it, and the gophers don't even want it.

One neighbor got rid of it by mowing his entire yard every time it came up for a couple of years, but you can only do that if you're not growing anything else. Besides, it eventually spread back into his garden too. Another neighbor put his house on the market and moved to Occidental to get away from it. We all hate it!!! It's so healthy here and grows so tall that you can't even see your azaleas blooming until the middle of March.

Calif_Sue

Calif_Sue
Northern California
United States
(Zone 9a)

April 8, 2005
9:37 PM

Post #1391828

Wow, that is bad! I have had it here for years, mostly in a small section of one bed. I just keep pulling the little ones and it keeps them in check so it really hasn't been much of a problem. I have a small enough yard that I can check for any strays easily and get rid of them.
annac213
Citrus Heights, CA
(Zone 9b)

April 8, 2005
9:43 PM

Post #1391843

ok now you all have me scared, i just planted a few arum blubs in the front garden.

anna
Zuzu
Sebastopol, CA
(Zone 9a)

April 9, 2005
2:28 AM

Post #1392269

Oh, no! Dig them up and put them in a pot unless you hate your neighbors.
doss
Stanford, CA
(Zone 9b)

April 9, 2005
4:19 PM

Post #1392990

Hi Clematis lovers,

It's been fun reading this thread. This is Madame Baron-Veillard. She has big floppy flowers.

Gourd, I don't think that what you have is a Josephine. Josephine is a double. Maybe you can give us a close up?

I bought a few clematis from general mailorder houses like Parks. Never again. I buy my clematis from Chalk Hill Nursery now. They already have woody growth, can go right into the ground and if you plant them in the fall, they bloom the following spring. Enough of this waiting around forever.

http://www.chalkhillclematis.com/farm.html

Thumbnail by doss

picturelady
San Jose, CA
(Zone 9a)

April 9, 2005
4:23 PM

Post #1393003

Good to see you Doss...did you ever get to the iris farm? Is it too late now?
Your clematis are beautiful, I was looking forward to seeing the link...but it wouldn't open for me. I don't have any clematis...and I probably need one!
Have a good day!
Margie
picturelady
San Jose, CA
(Zone 9a)

April 9, 2005
4:25 PM

Post #1393008

Here is a link for it I found...hope it works! I love Healdsburg!!!

http://shop.store.yahoo.com/chalkhillclematis/info.html
PudgyMudpies

(Zone 9a)

April 9, 2005
4:41 PM

Post #1393038

Very pretty Doss. I had not seen her before.
I went out this morning to see how my clematis were faring in this rain we have been having & I was amazed to see how big the blooms on my Nellie Moser are this year. This cool weather has really made the clematis happy. I measured and this bloom is 8 inches across! The biggest I have had.
As for Gourds Josephine, I have been told that on the doubles, to not expect every bloom to be one. They are apparently not 100%. But mine has not bloomed yet so I am only repeating what I have heard.
She posted a previous thread about her Josephine & the pic looks like the images I find on google images.
Interesting, isn't it? I bought Piilu thinking I would have a mass of doubles & now I am wondering if I will only get an occasional bloom that looks like the picture advertised. LOL I guess it makes sense that they are going to show you the best possible bloom.
I just love seeing all the lovely flowers that Californians are producing!
I have been drooling so much over all the clematis pics that I have seen lately, I even went to the Co-op forum to see if by chance anyone was opening one. But sadly, not. (hint, hint) HA!
I am going to check out the site you posted. Thanks for the info!
Donna

This message was edited Apr 9, 2005 9:42 AM

doss
Stanford, CA
(Zone 9b)

April 9, 2005
4:48 PM

Post #1393047

Margie, my Bearded Iris are just really getting into motion now. I haven't been to Nola's Iris Garden (aka Prevost Ranch) this year. I don't drive and while I always expect miracles, I've not gotten as healthy as I thought I would. Hope springs eternal.

Here's one of my favorites though, it's 'Fancy Dress'.

Thumbnail by doss

Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

April 11, 2005
8:58 PM

Post #1396563

doss, this is the second bloom on Josephine (label from parks), and it is still opening up in the middle, it's been almost a week that it has been open and I did take another pic today, but my camera is not hooked up.. the first pic up showed the lst bloom which was broken by the winds...

What do you all think it could be, if not Josephine?

edited to say: just checked google and the one here is finally opening up and is fuller in the middle.. It looks like Josephine, could be I took the photo too soon on the other bud.

This message was edited Apr 11, 2005 1:02 PM

Thumbnail by Gourd

Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

April 11, 2005
8:59 PM

Post #1396566

This one is Will Goodwin (I've posted these also on the Vine Forum) sorry about the duplication. Niobe is opening up today also.. only one bud on Niobe. Will post it sometime this week.

Thumbnail by Gourd

doss
Stanford, CA
(Zone 9b)

April 11, 2005
9:06 PM

Post #1396582

Sorry Gourd. Couldn't be anything but Josephine. And lovely too.

Any idea who this could be?

Thumbnail by doss

racerwidow
Atascadero, CA
(Zone 9a)

April 14, 2005
7:18 PM

Post #1403114

Hey Doss, You can go to the clematis encyclopedia at http://www.clematis-nursery.com/wms/wmsg.php/3507.html&plant_number=237 And check it out.
It kinda looks like fireworks Mimi
PudgyMudpies

(Zone 9a)

April 14, 2005
8:09 PM

Post #1403187

Thanks for the link Racer, I added it to my favorites. I like having sites that I can use for visual reference. There is another one I use http://www.clematis.hull.ac.uk/index.html that lets you search the database by putting in details about the clematis flower, like colors and when its blooming, like that.
Good luck Doss.
doss
Stanford, CA
(Zone 9b)

April 14, 2005
8:15 PM

Post #1403200

Thanks for the link. I guess I just am going to have to dig through my files. It was marked but the marker is unreadable. Ah well. Digging today.

Everybody is blooming - well not everybody. What you see here is mostly "Eye of the Tiger" Iris.

Thumbnail by doss

Karrie20x
Spokane, WA
(Zone 5b)

April 14, 2005
11:43 PM

Post #1403556

I just love the Nellie Moser. I have purchased one that is called something else from Lowes, but it sure LOOKS like Nellie. Hopefully it will do as well as my other clematis has done. They like their feet shaded - so I plant smaller plants in front of it.
doss
Stanford, CA
(Zone 9b)

April 14, 2005
11:46 PM

Post #1403564

Karrie, do mulch the roots too, but don't get it next to the stem. Your other small plants probably would like a nice mulch too. Don't use something like gravel. It holds the heat in.
Karrie20x
Spokane, WA
(Zone 5b)

April 14, 2005
11:53 PM

Post #1403573

Yes, we mulch every year - it's this very dark, almost black mulch - it even improves the "look" of the soil - and adds contrast against the flowers.

I know I'm not from California, but hey - I'm a native Californian - I was born there! Besides, some of what you guys grow interests me - I am growing tropicals here, that I take indoors in the winter time. (We get lotza snow - I was 7 years old when we moved up here, and I'd only seen snow on Sesame Street - I had no idea it was cold and wet and ran out to play in it in my bare feet, lol)!

Calif_Sue

Calif_Sue
Northern California
United States
(Zone 9a)

April 24, 2005
8:00 PM

Post #1424476

Well, it's overcast this weekend, perfect for some gardening and photography. Here's how it looks this morning. It's my spring cool pink & purple color combos but I am already gearing up for the warmer shades of summer with like cannas, coleus, daylilies etc.

Thumbnail by Calif_Sue

Calif_Sue

Calif_Sue
Northern California
United States
(Zone 9a)

April 24, 2005
8:00 PM

Post #1424478

A golden geranium with roses Sally Holmes and pink Mary Rose.

Calif_Sue

Calif_Sue
Northern California
United States
(Zone 9a)

April 24, 2005
8:01 PM

Post #1424480

Whoops, lets add the shot at least!

Thumbnail by Calif_Sue

Calif_Sue

Calif_Sue
Northern California
United States
(Zone 9a)

April 24, 2005
8:02 PM

Post #1424482

View toward pond

Thumbnail by Calif_Sue

Calif_Sue

Calif_Sue
Northern California
United States
(Zone 9a)

April 24, 2005
8:03 PM

Post #1424485

Strawberries & Cream rose

Thumbnail by Calif_Sue

Calif_Sue

Calif_Sue
Northern California
United States
(Zone 9a)

April 24, 2005
8:05 PM

Post #1424490

Another view

Thumbnail by Calif_Sue

Calif_Sue

Calif_Sue
Northern California
United States
(Zone 9a)

April 24, 2005
8:06 PM

Post #1424492

View toward arbor in back

Thumbnail by Calif_Sue

PudgyMudpies

(Zone 9a)

April 24, 2005
8:09 PM

Post #1424500

Everything looks so lush, Sue. Really pretty! Are you getting the drizzly weekend too?
Donna

Calif_Sue

Calif_Sue
Northern California
United States
(Zone 9a)

April 24, 2005
8:51 PM

Post #1424565

Just overcast today Donna, no drizzle so far.
Red Alonsoa

Thumbnail by Calif_Sue

Calif_Sue

Calif_Sue
Northern California
United States
(Zone 9a)

April 24, 2005
8:53 PM

Post #1424570

Sally Holmes rose and it's buds

Thumbnail by Calif_Sue

Calif_Sue

Calif_Sue
Northern California
United States
(Zone 9a)

April 24, 2005
8:54 PM

Post #1424571

Pink diascia

Thumbnail by Calif_Sue

Calif_Sue

Calif_Sue
Northern California
United States
(Zone 9a)

April 24, 2005
8:56 PM

Post #1424577

Blue Flax (Linum lewisii) My Mom sowed these last year and they over-wintered well and are quite tall now, between 2-3 ft.

Thumbnail by Calif_Sue

Calif_Sue

Calif_Sue
Northern California
United States
(Zone 9a)

April 24, 2005
8:57 PM

Post #1424579

Here's one of the flax's in the foreground

Thumbnail by Calif_Sue

Calif_Sue

Calif_Sue
Northern California
United States
(Zone 9a)

April 24, 2005
9:00 PM

Post #1424588

Bletilla striata, Common Name: Bai Ji, Hyacinth Orchid.
I was given these easy growing small bulbs from an Asian friend who has since passed and am always reminded of her when they bloom each spring.

Thumbnail by Calif_Sue

Calif_Sue

Calif_Sue
Northern California
United States
(Zone 9a)

April 24, 2005
9:02 PM

Post #1424590

Campanula, not sure what variety but I have had them for years and they make a nice mass spread near the pond.

Thumbnail by Calif_Sue

Calif_Sue

Calif_Sue
Northern California
United States
(Zone 9a)

April 24, 2005
9:03 PM

Post #1424591

Didn't even notice the fine hairs on the leaves until I looked at this shot!

Thumbnail by Calif_Sue

Calif_Sue

Calif_Sue
Northern California
United States
(Zone 9a)

April 24, 2005
9:04 PM

Post #1424593

Closeup of foxglove bloom, also little hairs inside for pollen capture I imagine.

Thumbnail by Calif_Sue

Calif_Sue

Calif_Sue
Northern California
United States
(Zone 9a)

April 24, 2005
9:06 PM

Post #1424599

Self seeding Rose Champion

Thumbnail by Calif_Sue

Calif_Sue

Calif_Sue
Northern California
United States
(Zone 9a)

April 24, 2005
9:07 PM

Post #1424603

Snow-In-Summer (Cerastium tomentosum)

Thumbnail by Calif_Sue

Calif_Sue

Calif_Sue
Northern California
United States
(Zone 9a)

April 24, 2005
9:08 PM

Post #1424606

Varigated Thyme blooms

Thumbnail by Calif_Sue

Calif_Sue

Calif_Sue
Northern California
United States
(Zone 9a)

April 24, 2005
9:09 PM

Post #1424611

Yellow nasteriums and a lavender blue nemesia, love that color combo

Thumbnail by Calif_Sue

Calif_Sue

Calif_Sue
Northern California
United States
(Zone 9a)

April 24, 2005
9:10 PM

Post #1424613

Mary Rose

Thumbnail by Calif_Sue

Calif_Sue

Calif_Sue
Northern California
United States
(Zone 9a)

April 24, 2005
9:18 PM

Post #1424637

My small pond, there is a smaller pond behind the fern to the left o it drops into this one.

Thumbnail by Calif_Sue

Calif_Sue

Calif_Sue
Northern California
United States
(Zone 9a)

April 24, 2005
9:22 PM

Post #1424642

Alstroemeria group

Thumbnail by Calif_Sue

Calif_Sue

Calif_Sue
Northern California
United States
(Zone 9a)

April 24, 2005
9:23 PM

Post #1424643

Close up of the neat markings

Thumbnail by Calif_Sue

Calif_Sue

Calif_Sue
Northern California
United States
(Zone 9a)

April 24, 2005
9:25 PM

Post #1424646

Sally Holmes group, the blooms have soft shading on the edges that fade to all white as they age. An excellant and healthy rose!

Thumbnail by Calif_Sue

Calif_Sue

Calif_Sue
Northern California
United States
(Zone 9a)

April 24, 2005
9:27 PM

Post #1424654

Ok, last one for now, won't get anything done outside if I continue.
This is the brightly striped Strawberries and Cream rose.

Thumbnail by Calif_Sue

PudgyMudpies

(Zone 9a)

April 24, 2005
11:06 PM

Post #1424832

Aside from the roses, we grow similar things! But I notice your Alstroemeria does not have snail damage. I try every year to elimate the snails & even when everything else is hole-free, the alstroemeria are chewed up! LOL
I think they must have a hidey-hole under the area and thats why I can never find them.
Very pretty pictures, I am so happy you shared them with us. :~)
Zuzu
Sebastopol, CA
(Zone 9a)

April 24, 2005
11:48 PM

Post #1424914

Absolutely breathtaking, Sue, and I bet you never have to weed in those flower beds. There's no room for weeds to grow. I love a well-packed garden. They're so much fun.

doss
Stanford, CA
(Zone 9b)

April 24, 2005
11:52 PM

Post #1424926

Sue, I do love Sally Holmes. I used to have one - may have one again. It's supposed to be as strong as nails but it got blackspot pretty badly here. Nothing like a branch of it though. I love your garden. I love the style. Pack it full and there's no room for weeds. You've obviously been collecting plants for a long time.

I did ID the clematis way up Yonder. It's "Dr. Ruppel". I had to go back to the packing slip.

This is Raphiolepsis "Majestic Beauty" in a tree form.

Thumbnail by doss

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other California Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Hello fellow Californians....let's introduce ourselves! Kachinagirl 398 Mar 12, 2011 9:02 PM
Your area's best nurseries srkrause 98 Aug 9, 2007 10:51 PM
Any gopher solutions? Zuzu 410 Nov 19, 2011 8:08 PM
Procrastinating and Pots Happenstance 114 May 8, 2007 11:53 AM
Anyone else have squirrel problems? lilystorm 23 Aug 2, 2008 6:40 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America