Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Plumerias: Help, I want plumeria cuutings and info

Communities > Forums > Plumerias
bookmark
Forum: PlumeriasReplies: 14, Views: 116
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
veeja3
Renton, WA
(Zone 7a)

March 26, 2005
4:27 AM

Post #1363394

I have a couple two month old cuttings one in water no roots but sending out a leaf, one in soil still green but no leaves, I don't know if there are roots, I just got another big cutting in mail, it was covered in wax and a little wilted, I don't seem to be doing well getting cuttings, I will trade anything I have for cuttings, rooted would be wonderfull. I am hunting for instructions My cutting in water has a bunch of white growths not roots look more like barnacles Help
Clare_CA

(Zone 10b)

March 26, 2005
6:08 PM

Post #1364287

Veeja, the cutting in water should be potted up now. Those are nubs which develop prior to roots forming and are a good sign.

The leaves indicate roots so, if you have no leaves on the other cutting, then you have no roots beneath the soil.

Some sellers use wax to seal the cut. It is usually allowed to heal over first.

Here are instructions: http://www.plumeria101.com/cuttings101.html

You can root your new cutting in soil or water. Here is a thread on water-rooting: http://www.mauiplumeriagardens.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=674&hl=
veeja3
Renton, WA
(Zone 7a)

March 26, 2005
7:06 PM

Post #1364374

Thankyou, little water guy will be planted today thankyou for the info, I see I can buy cuttings so if I can ever get that site I will try that. thankyou carol
Number_1_Angel
Henderson, IA
(Zone 5a)

April 2, 2005
3:48 AM

Post #1378512

Carol--Hi!! I just got one in the box frm Janice!! I am excited and will be planting 'her' tomorrow--wish me luck as this is my first one--and good luck with yours too
Jeanette
ps --mine is yellow--what color(s) do you have??
veeja3
Renton, WA
(Zone 7a)

April 3, 2005
12:47 AM

Post #1380037

Hi Jeanette, I have yellow and pink. dh says they get real big, so I may have to live in garage if I get too many, I still want more tho. nice to see you here Carol
mikepots
Jamaica Plain, MA

May 6, 2005
2:51 PM

Post #1452094

I'm glad I came across this forum. I have a plumeria I need to cut back because it's simply too wide to get through the door...I hate to have to cut it back but now that I found out about water-rooting the cuttings my worries are lessened.!!!!!
Clare_CA

(Zone 10b)

May 6, 2005
8:09 PM

Post #1452797

Mike, I've had some good luck with water rooting, and I usually start out all cuttings this way now, but now that the weather is warming up outside, rooting cuttings will be easier and faster with all the heat available. Good luck and let us know how you make out!
veeja3
Renton, WA
(Zone 7a)

May 7, 2005
1:32 AM

Post #1453276

If you have too many Mike, I would happily take some off your hands
mikepots
Jamaica Plain, MA

May 7, 2005
11:26 PM

Post #1454799

Thanks for the reply! I think I'll have two cuttings. The tree had three branches that just kept branching out from them and getting wider and wider...So sad to not live in a zone 10 climate!!!!!!
I used to live in Taos, NM and would have the plumeria in the living room blooming all winter long!!!!!!!!!
veeja3
Renton, WA
(Zone 7a)

May 8, 2005
5:35 AM

Post #1455449

Oh well, I tried, I am in Seattle so I will probably never see a bloom
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

May 8, 2005
7:51 PM

Post #1456316

veeja3 - I've had one plumeria bloom: the other two are resisting. This year they'll go in the courtyard with full sun, all day, on the pink cement. I'll give them Bloom Buster and root for the best. It's tiring holding them over and dreaming about blooms that remain dreams. I have zone envy, too! I'm 7a just like you.
Clare_CA

(Zone 10b)

May 8, 2005
7:57 PM

Post #1456327

Veeja, don't give up! If you absolutely want blooms this summer (and who doesn't) buy a rooted or grafted cutting from Florida Colors or Maui Plumeria Gardens. Make a note (or call them) and tell them that you would like to buy one with an inflo. I'm sure they will be able to accommodate you. That way, you will for sure have flowers this summer. I bought a bunch of cuttings this past winter, and they are rooting now, and some have inflos. Also, check ebay. There is a Dutch auction listed now which has cuttings for a very reasonable price of $2.50 each: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=25463&item=4377986666&rd=1
mikepots
Jamaica Plain, MA

May 9, 2005
2:15 AM

Post #1456921

You should have no problem getting blooms. Mine blooms a lot here in Boston, too.
veeja3
Renton, WA
(Zone 7a)

May 10, 2005
12:52 AM

Post #1458769

Thankyou for the hopes, I will order a couple, I have two rooted now, one already has seven leaves.
mikepots
Jamaica Plain, MA

May 10, 2005
12:51 PM

Post #1459910

I will venture to say if not this year then next year you will have plenty of flowers. When you bring it indoors for the winter just give it plenty of light...even if it's artificial. THat will ensure your plumeria keeps blooming!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Plumerias Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
What about a "new forum" for plumerias? Plumeriagod 56 Apr 25, 2007 2:15 AM
Feeding CaCajun 9 May 12, 2007 12:09 AM
underplanting plumies vossner 21 May 19, 2008 10:33 PM
have neve hard this happen to one of my plumies before junglebob 56 Sep 19, 2007 3:28 AM
Panama plumies vossner 53 Apr 15, 2007 11:22 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America