Garden bed edging?

Prospect Park, PA(Zone 7a)

Got any cheap ideas on garden bed edging? Just want to contain the bed about 6 inches above the lawn/sidewalk. Not a fan of the concrete scalloped thingys. Any pretty, inexpensive, or diy alternatives?

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

How about aluminum roofing flashing? It comes in rolls and is pretty sturdy. Is aluminum okay to use in both edible and ornamental beds?

Denver, CO(Zone 6a)

I wouldn't use this if you had dogs though, it can cut paws.
I've seen old bottles buried haldf way to make edging. Bricks, of course, I prefer the bendable pastic that once it is in it you can't even see it, though it isn't cheap.
Mobi

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

Sometimes you can find the plastic edging priced inexpensively at some of the discount stores like Big Lots. I got a bunch of it last year. I've also seen that curved patio roofing plastic (there's a name for it but I can't think of it right now) cut in strips; sometimes you can find it used or can get leftover pieces from the installation companies. But that might also be too sharp an edge for dogs.

Taylor, TX(Zone 8b)

Mobi,

Thanks for the bottle idea. I can never seem to find enough things to do with those purple Arizona Ginseng Tea bottles. And I hate to give them up.

Michelle

Prospect Park, PA(Zone 7a)

I do have dogs and so have to worry about sharp. I'm thinking about the concrete stepping stones idea. Wonder if there are molds I could use to make little flat "tombstone" shapes?

Lochbuie, CO(Zone 5b)

Razzie, Hi! you know, you don't even have to buy a mold. If you dig in some sand or soft dirt the shape you want, you can just pour your concrete in the ground "mold", let it set up, then take it out and make another. Some of those plastic or rubber molds are pricey. -Christie

Taylor, TX(Zone 8b)

ooh, that sounds like fun. I remember doing something like this when I was little with shells and stuff on the bottom.

Michelle

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

The aluminum is pre-cut in rolls and is not sharp on the edges, so handling it is not difficult. Still, I can see where it could cut paws (or human feet!) if put in as-is. I was thinking, you could always put the edging on the edge of a table and hammer the edge down to make a rounded lip; that part would face up when you put it in.

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Go to a sheet metal shop and have them cut some galvanized material into a width you like, and "hem" one long edge. That will keep any paws from harm, and your hands as well. Should be cheap.

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

Ah, great idea!

Winchester, VA(Zone 6b)

does anyone own an edger or an edging knife like illustrated here?
does anyone have a recommendation

http://www.whiteflowerfarm.com/57715-product.html

Southern Mountains, GA(Zone 6b)

I have an edger that looks very much like that. Bought it at Sears years ago. Can't say it's gotten much if any use. It might work where the soil is "cooperative", but here with all the stones and agressive grasses it was too much work. Even with the edger attachment I have on the mantis, I still don't do any edging, so the fault is with the gardener, not the tools. If I could mail it to you for cheap, you can have it.

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

Has anyone used the edging products made by Hound Dog? They seem like good designs, but I've never used one. http://www.hound-dog.com/index.htm I've seen some at Lowe's and other stores.

Winchester, VA(Zone 6b)

that looks really nice - I will check them out at Home Depot

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

About lawn edging...I just had a brainstorm last night for something simple to do for individual raised beds for some peppers and tomatoes.

I have a roll of aluminum flashing about 12 or 18" wide and 20' long. I originally bought it to cut into plant tags, but never got the tin snips I needed to do that. I was thinking I could cut it into sections and roll each section into a circular raised bed, sticking it down in the soil part way and filling the rest with good compost. I could have either the white or brown-painted side facing out. Only thing is, I'm not sure what kind of paint they use on it and if it's safe for edibles.

Cannot answer the paint query, but if you do use it, be sure to fold down about half an inch along the top to make a safe edge...

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

Hiya, Darius!

It's not rough-cut on the edge - it's pretty smooth. Still, to not lose any height, I could slit an old garden hose down its length, section it, and use that as a "bumper" on the flashing. If the paint is iffy, I'll put ornamentals in them. Or I might actually get some tin snips, LOL.

Good thoughts, Kimberly!

Stockport, OH(Zone 6b)

I have an edger similar to the one in the picture, use it all the time.Before we putthe rolled edging in along our fence I edged it twice a summer with this tool and it worked great, but keep in mind our soil has a lot of sand in it, so it's not too hard to dig. It's also handy for digging something that a shovel is too big for or cutting out a small piece of sod.

As for the rolled edging, in our area I find that it's worth the couple extra bucks to get the wider stuff (I think what we have is 6") so you can bury it deeper-when it freezes and thaws we don't have as much trouble with it being hooved out of the ground, we also anchor ours with kick pins, which helps keep it in the ground.

Moon Twp, PA(Zone 6a)

Any more ideas? I have to put in an edging that will keep neighbor's mower away from the about 10" btw my side porch and his yard... He's great at mowing that side, which I appreciate. He said if plant anything there, put something to keep his mower out cuz he just goes... Going to try putting a couple things there this yr. Lost everything put there 1st yr here, he mowed... ~ Suzi :)

Coventry, RI(Zone 6a)

I do bricks, flush with the grass, mulch on the inside wide enough so the mower can roll up on it. Once a year, I edge in front of the bricks. Keeps my lawn edged bed relatively tidy.

-Lu

Gresham, OR(Zone 8a)

Gardenwife...I have used the Hound Dog Weed-Dog and love it for dandilion weeds and the like. It really works well! Because the Weed-Dog is such a well-made and effective tool, I have considered their other products. That edger looks very interesting, and I hope you get some feed back on it here. Not to change the topic of the thread, but I have been looking at their long handled cultivator..anyone used this?

Thanks,
Tracy

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

The Garden Claw? Man, that thing's $38 at Lowe's, or I might have considered it. Looks like it would work well.

My friend gave me a weeding tool that's a long fork-like thing on the end of a pole. I have one with a short handle, too. It works okay if the soil's not dry and compacted, but it's hard to get the roots out when the soil's tough.

Gresham, OR(Zone 8a)

okay...I confess...I bought the dang claw at Home Depot before I got an answer to my querry. It will work just fine, when my beds and soil are in perfect order! Ha!! Oh well...

My "plan" is, that as I clean and "fluff" a bed: "I solemnly swear that I will "fluff with my new claw" at least....

.....often!"

Tracy

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Tracy

My husband bought the Garden Claw at a garage sale and proudly presented it to me last year. I looked at it and said get out of here with that thing...the neighbors are gonna laugh at me! He said "just try it". I did and I fell in love with it! I was doing the "twist" all over the backyard. I've always amended my soil with compost so it's pretty soft but the Claw sure makes it easy to break up the soil when it crusts over and to mix in fertilizer. Sure saves the back.

BTW the neighbors didn't laugh. They bought one this year. My sister used mine and now says she wants one for Christmas!

Happy twisting!
Toni

Gresham, OR(Zone 8a)

Oh, Toni; thank you! I don't feel so conspicuous after all! LOL!

Tracy

Hagerstown, MD(Zone 6a)

The claw is so much fun my kids get in on it and they do the soil amending after I dump. Go figure.

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

I'm going to have to watch for a sale on that thing, come fall.

East Bethel, MN(Zone 4a)

I love my garden claw but it is hard on the back with all that twisting, and not to good on hard soil.

Gresham, OR(Zone 8a)

Exactly, sylvi74! And what I have right now, is hard soil. But it does work really nice where I have "fluffed". For now, though, it is my replacement for exercise videos!

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

Sounds like it would be easier on my wrists than the hoe and little hand cultivator I use now.

Rockford, IL(Zone 4b)

I've found the "claw" to be a lot easier on my back when I have our 20 year old do it for me. A promise of food generally does the trick.

Gresham, OR(Zone 8a)

AMEN, sstateham! LOL!

Porterfield, WI(Zone 4b)

My way to keep dh off the flower beds when he mows is to edge them with nice round symmetrical rocks from the fields, it looks nice to me, and some plants tumble over them looking natural.

I keep the strip beyond the rocks clear with roundup, and go thru it with my small Husquevarna tiller from time to time to keep weeds from settling there. I need to skip the parts where the plants flow over though, and dh likes it fine, he know just where to go, and doesn't get into hot water!! Legit

Northeast, AR(Zone 7a)

Cake pans make great molds for pouring concrete. You can make edging, stepping stones, etc. Be sure to spray the pan first with Pam or something similar so your concrete will come out when it dries.

You can get creative and write in it or stick sea shells, rocks, marbles, etc on it while it's still wet.

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

I've always wanted to make stones with flowers and leaves pressed into the tops. The actual flowers dry and wash away, but their impressions stay and the result is a fossil-like surface. Ferns are especially pretty done this way.

N., CA(Zone 9a)

Hypertufa "rocks" would make good edging...

East Bethel, MN(Zone 4a)

Now that's an interesting idea. Would you just roll up lumps of it and let them dry? I've never done hypertufa but I am becoming very interested in it.

N., CA(Zone 9a)

I haven't done it yet, either, but I'd like to try to make rock shapes. I need to find directions for it somewhere.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images