Tomato Boosters

Stanton, IA(Zone 4b)

Has anyone ever used tomato boosters at planting? These are the plastic trays used at the base of the tomato plant to block out weeds and to hold water for watering. I have never used them, was wondering if they are worthwhile?

Schenevus, NY

last yr i bought that red mulch which was in the garden catalogs. I did not notice any differnce. Has anyone else tried it?

New Paris, OH

A cheaper way to do the booster thing is to put down mulch (straw or black plastic) and than sink a 1 qt plastic container or 2 litre bottle with one or two tiny holes in the bottom into the ground beside the plant. The mulch blocks out weeds and the container distributes water. Costs nothing and reuses things that would go in the trash.

Chamois, MO(Zone 5a)

I used them last year and wasn't very happy with them. They were okay when the plants were little but when they got taller the boosters just didn't hold enough water. I also had trouble with the holes stopping up. If I had to do it over again I wouldn't. Also some of them broke last fall when I took them up.

Lyerly, GA

I actually dug out some 15 year old tomato boosters today. They are definitely not new, but I put them around some heirloom salad size tomatoes a friend gave me. The last time I used them was many years ago, but I had the most incredible crop of Romas ever. The plants grew over 6 feet tall and produced spectacularly. They are a little pricey, but I got great results. The reason I saw this post was because I'm looking to buy some more. I live in zone 7a.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.