Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Soil and Composting: sterilizing soil-Help!

Communities > Forums > Soil and Composting
bookmark
Forum: Soil and CompostingReplies: 7, Views: 80
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
jordung
Woonsocket, RI
(Zone 6b)

March 28, 2005
11:18 AM

Post #1367778

I had found on one of the forums, how to sterilize soil in the microwave but I can't find it.
I'll post this question in a few places. I'm starting some annuals and veggies in the new greenhouse my hubby built for me. I,m sure with all I,m planting, I'll need more soil than I already have. I have some jiffy mix, but I,m going to run out before I,m done.Does anyone know how to sterilize soil in the microwave?
smiln32
Oklahoma City, OK
(Zone 7a)

March 29, 2005
2:31 PM

Post #1370613

This is probably not the best forum for this type of question.

I'd recommend only posting your question in one forum rather than posting it in several places. Most folks don't want to see the same question in a variety of forums. If you pick one forum and that's not the best place, folks will usually point you in another direction - OR - you'll get your answer (regardless of which one forum you post it in).

Here's a link to the Colorado State Cooperative Extension's instructions for sterilizing soil...
http://www.colostate.edu/Depts/CoopExt/4DMG/Soil/sterile.htm

Good luck.
jordung
Woonsocket, RI
(Zone 6b)

March 29, 2005
3:35 PM

Post #1370708

Thanks for the information.

lisamr
Roseville, CA
(Zone 8a)

March 29, 2005
4:19 PM

Post #1370801

I was just reading in that forum...actually had microwaved some soil myself. Hope this is what you were looking for.

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/484537/
Dravencat
Edgewater, MD
(Zone 7a)

March 29, 2005
4:21 PM

Post #1370812

Just dont do it without wetting it down first really good. The smoke after the fire goes out is really stinky and takes a long time to get the smell out of your microwave. Yes laugh all you want, I speak from personal experience with peat pots. LOL
lisamr
Roseville, CA
(Zone 8a)

March 29, 2005
4:23 PM

Post #1370817

lmao Dravencat! I was lucky...nuked the soil BEFORE I read the warnings...I didn't nuke that much...just enough for a couple of small containers...maybe 2 liquid quart sized bowls.
Dravencat
Edgewater, MD
(Zone 7a)

March 29, 2005
4:26 PM

Post #1370825

LOL, DH was hoping I had ruinded the nuke machine, he hates the turntable because it always pops off the little ring and wont turn.
lisamr
Roseville, CA
(Zone 8a)

March 29, 2005
4:39 PM

Post #1370861

OT (LOL mine does the exact same thing!! Chalk that up to another household expense...sheesh...never ending LOL but a must have...especially with teenagers!)

Thanks Smiln32! I bookmarked that site. I'm very new to sterilizing soil...never even thought about it before I came to DG. Glad to have all this helpful info for a newbie like me. Thanks!

This message was edited Mar 29, 2005 9:49 AM

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Soil and Composting Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Clay poppysue 16 Oct 21, 2013 3:56 PM
Free compost, myth or truth JaiMarye 14 Oct 27, 2010 6:58 AM
Who Bakes Dirt 76summerwind 29 Apr 4, 2008 6:22 PM
sterilizing options tiG 22 Mar 29, 2008 7:47 PM
Soil & Fertilizer: Compost Tea SoCal 119 Mar 5, 2008 11:18 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America