Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Hostas: Hostas for zone 9

Communities > Forums > Hostas
bookmark
Forum: HostasReplies: 9, Views: 108
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
margu
Los Angeles, CA
(Zone 9a)

March 28, 2005
7:28 PM

Post #1368857

I have a lovely, completely shady spot under a red bud tree that I would like to try hostas in, but it seems that most hostas are only hardy to zone 8. Can anyone give me recommendations for hostas that grow well in zone 9 and 10, if they exist? I'm in L.A., and it gets very very hot in the summertime, but the area I want to plant gets NO sun at all. Thanks!
sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 29, 2005
5:26 AM

Post #1370078

margu, Molly Mc in south Fla has a guacamale, that is going great guns. Here is one that I got bare root from langbr/gretaduck co-op last fall.
Emerald Tierra is this pretty little one's name. It went to sleep here in the fall and this picture was taken 15 mins. ago. I have many and will let you know which ones I have sucess with here in 9a to 8b. I was worried they wouldn't get cold enough here, so we'll see.
Sidney.

Thumbnail by sugarweed
Click the image for an enlarged view.

jody
MD &, VA
(Zone 7b)

March 29, 2005
9:34 AM

Post #1370174

margu
If the area is birght shade go ahead and try it. Hosta do need some light. They will also needs lots of water when the temps are hot.

Try some of the plantaginea family, the fragrant ones. They tolerate the heat better than most. A few of them are Guacomole, plantaginea species, Royal Standard, Honeybells, Fried Green Tomatoes, Fried Bananas and Stained Glass. If a couple of these work out well for you, then try some other less expensive ones.

There was a post not too long ago about hosta in FLA zone 10. Check it out for some helpful tips and hints.

Good Luck
Let us know how you do
sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 29, 2005
2:19 PM

Post #1370593

Yes Jody that zone 10 post I believe was Molly Mc's.
vossner
Richmond, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 29, 2005
3:57 PM

Post #1370743

Margu, Golden Tiara, Grand Tiara, Hadspen Blue, Sun Power, September Sun, Sun & Substance, Patriot, Krossa Regal are ones that I've had 2 years or 3 years and getting bigger each year. All planted on north side, full shade, between two huge trees.

If hostas come back smaller than they were the previous year I consider them not the best for my Houston location and make a mental note that there may soon be space for a new hosta. I don't pull them out, just wait for complete disappearance. (Ginko Craig, Nigrescens come to mind).

Stick around the hosta forum, there is incredible knowledge to be gained. And the coops, oh, the wonderful coops. I've gone mad buying several varieties, but they are on the first year, so I consider them on "trial" right now. Also, when I go to my local nurseries, I notice the varieties they sell and make assumptions that those are the best suited for my area. Maybe that will work for you too.
margu
Los Angeles, CA
(Zone 9a)

March 29, 2005
11:36 PM

Post #1371624

Thanks, all! I'll have to start making a search locally for some hostas that you have recommended. How about online nurseries? There are plenty that sell hostas, but they never seem to list zones! Any recommendations on those? And I don't even know what you mean by "co-ops". That's a new one to me! Hostas probably would have done great here this year, because we had an unusually cold winter, and a couple of my outdoor tropicals bit the dust. And we have had our 2nd highest rainfall in history. If only it would stay like this...
sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 30, 2005
6:47 AM

Post #1372272

As a general rule the lighter almost yellow hostas tolerate the heat the best.
Hostanquilts
Tremont, IL
(Zone 5b)

April 6, 2005
11:29 PM

Post #1388068

margu,
My daughter lived in Hesperia & she grew hosta there, but of course they get pretty cold weather in the winter time. I had mailed a Sept. Sun to my mom, who also lived in Hesperia at the time & they multiplied up there. Then last year when mom moved into a nursing home, I dug up the hosta & my brother who lives in Glendora planted them in his yard. If you area gets 45 degree weather in the winter, they should do ok.
sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 7, 2005
1:53 AM

Post #1388303

That//s good news to me too.
margu
Los Angeles, CA
(Zone 9a)

April 9, 2005
8:29 AM

Post #1392629

We usually get down to 45, sometimes into the 30's, so I'll cross my fingers and dig some holes!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Hostas Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Your Favorite Hosta... blonde_elf 117 Nov 16, 2009 7:06 PM
Mania Links pupper 5 May 21, 2007 10:11 PM
Help me choose leslie 10 Jul 16, 2008 10:40 AM
Lovely Loretta jody 55 Jun 23, 2007 11:02 AM
cup hostas handhelpers 11 Aug 25, 2007 7:03 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America