Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Happenstance
Northern California, CA

March 31, 2005
10:32 PM

Post #1375914

For several years I have been wanting to head down to San Leandro to the NorCal Pottery Outlet. I had heard some stories about the deals on pots, but had in the back of my mind equated some of these tall tales to some "embroidering." Today was the day that I finally got myself together, braved the traffic for the 40 mile drive and arrived promptly at 10AM when they opened. (I had called ahead to make sure they were indeed open, because I had heard just as many stories about gardeners arriving to find the gates locked.)

I'm rarely at a loss for words (big surprise, huh?!!) and I am a seasoned shopper. I am an excellent shopper in fact.

I was speechless. I was overwhelmed and overloaded with eye candy. I was reading the signs and having a hard time understanding them.
Quoting:$65 Per Cart

What could that mean...? I wandered around for a few more minutes and finally an employee came up to me and asked if I needed help. I do believe I must have looked like I was in trouble and experiencing some breathing problems.

The deal was that it was a SPECIAL SALE DAY!! Fill a flatbed cart as high as the top of the handle with whatever you can and it will be $65.

Does that mean one layer or can you stack them inside each other. "That works. Whatever you can fit on the cart and still push it yourself."

Flashbacks of the old TV program "Queen For A Day"...

Here's a shot of the front of the Outlet warehouse. The flatbed cart is what you could fill for $65.

Thumbnail by Happenstance
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Happenstance
Northern California, CA

March 31, 2005
10:32 PM

Post #1375918

A few of the pots

Happenstance
Northern California, CA

March 31, 2005
10:33 PM

Post #1375921

And a few more

Happenstance
Northern California, CA

March 31, 2005
10:34 PM

Post #1375928

And there were more, actually I stopped taking pictures because I was afraid someone else would get the ones I wanted!! LOL

Happenstance
Northern California, CA

March 31, 2005
10:36 PM

Post #1375935

For just $15 you could fill the cart with Mexican terra cotta pots. That's $15 with as much as you can push!

Happenstance
Northern California, CA

March 31, 2005
10:37 PM

Post #1375940

I began to feel guilty as I practiced the fine art of stacking the cart...but it was more the fact of a Cherokee only holding so many pots. Here's part of my stash, having arrived home safely with nary a casualty!

Happenstance
Northern California, CA

March 31, 2005
10:39 PM

Post #1375942

Wednesday-Friday
10:00am-4:00pm (I heard they have Saturday hours sometimes during the
summer - call for info)

Norcal Pottery Products, Inc.
2091 Williams St.
San Leandro, CA 94577
(510) 895-5966

Take the Marina Blvd. West exit off Hwy 880 in San Leandro
Right at the first stoplight onto Merced St.
Left at next stoplight onto Williams St.
Norcal Pottery is on the left side of the street
bksmall
San Andreas, CA
(Zone 9b)

March 31, 2005
11:51 PM

Post #1376039

What a fabulous place! I am new to the DG group and I am learning a lot already. Since I need pots, this looks like just the place for me. Thanks for the info and the pics!
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

April 1, 2005
1:54 AM

Post #1376256

Oh, man! I am sooo jealous! I live way too far away.
Kachinagirl
Modesto, CA
(Zone 8b)

April 1, 2005
2:16 AM

Post #1376301

Oh my goodness...when do they have these sales? Are they un-advertised? One would sure think so! I really wish you hadn't posted that...

K
picturelady
San Jose, CA
(Zone 9a)

April 1, 2005
2:47 AM

Post #1376362

Candy...I will have to send you my phone no.!!! I would have loved to have gone to the super sale! I know Sue has been there before and probably would have loved to have known about this sale for sure. Will it be on again tomorrow, do you know?
Margie
Happenstance
Northern California, CA

April 1, 2005
3:03 AM

Post #1376382

I didn't even know it was a sale day...I did talk to a gal there who apparently goes often. She said they do this every so often, but I didn't get as far as to ask whether they advertise or not. I really was in a daze.

A couple of tips:

Do go with someone or a couple of friends (I'd take more than one car though...people take up valuable pot space!)
With a couple of people, you could split the $65 and still end up with probably 30 pots each. If I had gotten all medium to small ones...I would think 100 pots would not have been far off the mark.

It would help to have two sets of hands to help with the stacking of the pots on the cart. I actually could have fit quite a few more on the cart, but it was hard to judge how much would fit in the Cherokee. I had the back seats down and it was full with 6 very large pots and a couple large ones between those. Then I put all the little ones inside those six big ones. It was a job unloading the cart, taking the stacks apart, getting the huge ones in the car and then maneuvering the others inside the big ones. Those things are HEAVY!

I would take a pair of gloves next time.

Another important thing: They do not take credit cards. CASH or CHECKS only.

I would call them tomorrow Margie...I called around 9AM today to make sure they would be open.

Can you imagine a whole cart of those Mexican terra cotta pots for $15 ! I got only glazed ones today because with our wind I have had so many of the tc ones blow over and break. But think about it...even if they ALL broke I'd only be out $15. I may have to go back. :-)

I've easily spent $50 at retailers for some of these very same pots. All the ones I chose were without major flaws or chips. They may have had some glaze imperfections or had a rough bottom ridge, some had lost their saucers...I just picked through all the pallets until I found ones I liked.

Richard at The Dry Garden asked me when I stopped there on the way home, if I had enough plants to put in them all...silly man.
lilystorm
San Jose, CA

April 1, 2005
5:07 AM

Post #1376542

Wow, Candy, you go girl! I will have to add this to my list of must-see places. I can just imagine the glee of finding all these huge pots and then filling them up with new plants.

Calif_Sue

Calif_Sue
Northern California
United States
(Zone 9a)

April 1, 2005
6:41 AM

Post #1376625

Boy they really are stocked well! I have been 3 X now and each time there is something different, sale wise and pot wise. Last sale I got was $15 for all on cart, glazed included.
And it is a big workout loading and unloading, plus I was a dusty mess when I got home. Here is my $15 haul last fall, look at the different styles.

This message was edited Mar 31, 2005 11:44 PM

This message was edited Mar 31, 2005 11:45 PM

Thumbnail by Calif_Sue

Calif_Sue

Calif_Sue
Northern California
United States
(Zone 9a)

April 1, 2005
6:42 AM

Post #1376626

And here was another pot from another visit, a big rich green glazed one for $10.

Thumbnail by Calif_Sue

jcangemi
Clovis, CA
(Zone 9a)

April 2, 2005
12:40 PM

Post #1378883

A few years back I lived in Stockton and a friend told me about NorCal. . .so I made regular sojourns to San Leandro for NorCal and Nordstrom Rack (among the other outlet stores in that same stop). Needless to say, I hardly ever bought a pot anywhere else, unless it was practically 'free'. THEN. . .I moved to San Leandro. . . BIG MISTAKE. I lived about 4 blocks from NorCal. All my friends received pots, my family received pots and my collection grew. . .Now that I'm in San Joaquin Valley, find it a little more difficult to get up there, but sounds like their deals are better than ever. The staff there is most helpful and most times the selection is huge!
Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

April 2, 2005
6:34 PM

Post #1379561

That does it... I'm taking a trip up there soon.. You guys, they are beautiful.. I love those pots.. How far am i from that place?
Happenstance
Northern California, CA

April 2, 2005
7:14 PM

Post #1379620

It's a very long way...I think it would take some higher math to calculate the cost of gas vs the savings on the pots.

Here's the way I look at it...I had to run to the local nursery yesterday to get some potting soil and pumice. So I walked around and looked at all the pots that matched the ones I bought on the cart. I figure I got close to $600 worth of pots for the $65!

So I bought a few more plants, since I "saved" so much money! Perfectly logical reasoning in my perfectly illogical mind.
Happenstance
Northern California, CA

April 2, 2005
8:13 PM

Post #1379672

I've already used a lot of the pots I got at NorCal, but thought you might like to see some examples of the types of pots I chose to fill my cart with.

Just to give you some size reference:
The pot in the first row left is 19" tall, right is 14" tall.
Second row is various sizes of smaller pots.
Third row left is 18" tall and right is 20" tall.

Third row left you can see the type of flaws that make these "seconds"...the glaze is smudged at the front rim. I can work with that! I figured out that on average each pot cost under $2.00

Clare_CA

(Zone 10b)

April 2, 2005
9:33 PM

Post #1379772

Wow, Candy, you scored! You did too, Calif_Sue. I am so jealous. I have spent a virtual fortune on pots. I think I paid $80 for a blue one like Calif_Sue's large green glazed one. I had no idea that those beautiful glazed pots could be so inexpensive. Nurseries and Home Depot here charge a small fortune for them. You did good, girl! I wish I was closer. San Leandro is about six or seven hours away:-( I've resigned myself to using black plastic nursery pots because they are the cheapest.

This message was edited Apr 2, 2005 2:34 PM
Kachinagirl
Modesto, CA
(Zone 8b)

April 3, 2005
3:00 AM

Post #1380294

Gourd, San Leandro is about half way between Fremont and Oakland. Quite a drive for you. You need a friend in the Bay Area...you know, someone to visit when NorCal has sales! LOL

K

http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?searchtype=address&country=US&addtohistory=&searchtab=home&address=&city=San Leandro&state=CA&zipcode=
Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

April 3, 2005
3:12 AM

Post #1380357

Well, the way I see it, we desperately need a vacation... I've never been up that way.. and after explaining to hubby just HOW much we can SAVE..lol. All the while, still on vacation...yadadadada...

He said YES... when he saw Candy's and Calif_Sue's stash (or is it stashes)?

Okay, when is the next sale date...Oh, I think Candy listed the phone number up there..

I just love these bargains. Boy, I wish they had something like that around here.

Edited to say: Hopefully he will remember what he said and when vacation time rolls around...lol..

This message was edited Apr 2, 2005 7:37 PM

This message was edited Apr 2, 2005 9:36 PM
GraceGardenbug
San Leandro, CA

April 3, 2005
8:06 AM

Post #1380574

I live about 4 blocks from the NorCal. It is a great place and I have been buying their pots for the last ten years or more. Besides pots, sometimes they will have fountains or other garden items. However, be sure to check for those of you that are making a long trip as sometimes their stock is better than others. If you are just looking for smaller pots or terra cotta they always have alot. If you want very large glazed ones call ahead. I got some great large glazed pots for 30.00. I priced them elsewhere and they run over $100.00. I'll check with them to see when they have their next sale. However, I was there just last week and they had some pallets of pots on sale. If you are also in the Bay Area try out Annie Annuals in Richmond. It is 2 1/2 acres and she really has some unusual stuff. I only have been there once but will be going back shortly. Also, while your in San Leandro Nordstroms Rack and Talbots are just a few blocks from NorCal.

Grace
Happenstance
Northern California, CA

April 6, 2005
12:01 AM

Post #1386240

I've almost worked my way through all the pots...could it be time for a return trip? I wonder if the sale is still going on? Inquiring minds need to know!

I thought you might like to see how nice a Pony Tail Palm looks in the 20" pot shown in the image above.

Calif_Sue

Calif_Sue
Northern California
United States
(Zone 9a)

April 7, 2005
2:43 AM

Post #1388420

Yep, sale still on! My Mom and I made the trip today. We opted for the Mexican ones today, $15 per cart, which we split. Look what $7.50 worth of pots look like, 22 total. Figured we can always head back for more glazed ones later as they always have them.

Thumbnail by Calif_Sue

Calif_Sue

Calif_Sue
Northern California
United States
(Zone 9a)

April 7, 2005
2:49 AM

Post #1388431

Actually Candy, the selection was lower on the pallets than when you went, not as many big ones, but they are constantly restocking them.
This handled one had both handles intact, I got one last year exactly like it with one handle broken off, nothing that can't be covered by a trailing plant. On this one, you can see just a bit of the clay broken off on the left handle. So you face it the other way and good as new!

Thumbnail by Calif_Sue

Calif_Sue

Calif_Sue
Northern California
United States
(Zone 9a)

April 7, 2005
2:54 AM

Post #1388446

With the savings, we just had to go to Annie's Annuals and treat ourselves, after all, need to fill those pots somehow!
In the foreground are a couple of agropyron magellenium, 'Blue Wheat Grass', Annie was there and she highly recommended it. That, along with the coppery New Zealand Wind Grass should look pretty good in these pots.

This message was edited Apr 6, 2005 7:55 PM

Thumbnail by Calif_Sue

Clare_CA

(Zone 10b)

April 7, 2005
3:09 AM

Post #1388495

I am just amazed and astounded at what you guys are getting at those prices. I've paid over $100 for pots like those and got a lot less. Now I feel really bad that I've paid so much for pots. Does anyone know if they have an outlet such as this in Southern California? Thanks!
Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

April 7, 2005
3:09 AM

Post #1388496

You guys are making me cry here..lol..
Happenstance
Northern California, CA

April 7, 2005
3:22 AM

Post #1388523

Looks like it's gonna rain again tonight and tomorrow...so if I can't garden, guess where I'll be?!

I'm down to my last 3 small pots and still have plants to pot up or repot.

Clare & Gourd I sure wish you guys could come and join in on the fun!
Clare_CA

(Zone 10b)

April 7, 2005

Post #1388526

I'm so jealous but happy for you guys!
Kachinagirl
Modesto, CA
(Zone 8b)

April 7, 2005
4:11 AM

Post #1388592

Let me know if the sale is still on will you? I'm headed to visit Ma & Pa in the Bay Area this weekend...Campbell...and guess what I can drive right by!

K
plant_fiend
San Jose, CA
(Zone 9b)

April 8, 2005
12:17 AM

Post #1390091

Wow, Candy and Ca_Sue! What a steal! This place is between San Jose and Alameda where my parents live. I will have to plan a trip for sure. I am amazed a the deals you got. I can hardly wait!
Emtnest
Chico, CA

April 9, 2005
8:36 AM

Post #1392634

I am in AWE of this pot place...Must go sooooon!!!! Thanks for the post and info...
Happenstance
Northern California, CA

April 10, 2005
5:06 AM

Post #1393978

I never did get there...decided not to hit the freeway in the monsoon. I did go to a great plant sale this morning and I have used all the pots I got, so I'll make another trip down there soon!
Kachinagirl
Modesto, CA
(Zone 8b)

April 11, 2005
3:48 AM

Post #1395260

I checked for a website for them and couldn't find one. I was hoping to get the inside skinny on their sales or something. Poop!
K
trigardener
San Leandro, CA
(Zone 9a)

April 11, 2005
5:18 PM

Post #1396124

I live in San Leandro and have not been to NorCal for some time, mainly because we were remodeling and I had much of my garden in the ground. I also recall NorCal selling mainly terracotta pots and am surprised to see all these photos of glazed pots. I have a couple days off this week and a neighbor and I are visiting all the nurseries on Thursday that we never get time to visit. Friday I'm going to NorCal for any pots I need! THANKS for the reminder about this great outlet!
karenmcb
Bradbury, CA
(Zone 9b)

April 12, 2005
8:13 PM

Post #1398970

Wow, such a deal you were able to get! I am in southern California and have not heard of anything like that down my way. I agree with Gourd, you are making me jealous. I will have to explore this and see if there is anything like it here in our area.

Thank you for shaing the information.

Calif_Sue

Calif_Sue
Northern California
United States
(Zone 9a)

April 13, 2005
6:42 AM

Post #1400034

Planted on of my big ones with a varigated ginger and placed it next to my small pond.

Thumbnail by Calif_Sue

picturelady
San Jose, CA
(Zone 9a)

April 13, 2005
2:19 PM

Post #1400405

Looks great Sue!

How do you keep all your containers watered? By hand?
gacarnegie
Davis, CA
(Zone 9b)

April 15, 2005
12:36 AM

Post #1403636

OMG !

I just moved to Davis, CA which is famous for it's Ag programs and it's awful soil and not much better water. Container gardening just seems like the way to go so please let us know when the next sale is because I'll be there with bells and potting soil on!

**starts to calculate how much cubic sq ft she has available in her eclispe**

KaperC
No. San Diego Co., CA
(Zone 10b)

April 15, 2005
3:43 PM

Post #1404732

This is no way comparable to NorCal, but if you're in the San Diego area, try this one:

Canyon Pottery
8575 Aero Drive
San Diego, CA 92123

A lot of their pots are the darker pottery type, but they do have LARGE pots. Also a small collection of talavera pots and figures (our favorite).

Also, on my one trip to Tropic World on I-15, I found some nice pots at very good prices on their upper terrace in the pot hut.

Tom Thumb in San Marcos also has a nice collection and lovely statuary -- and some talavera -- at normal prices. Definitely a place to watch for sales.

I'm new at this, but will post any other locations I find.

Kathleen
Happenstance
Northern California, CA

April 16, 2005
1:43 AM

Post #1405624

Just read on that other gardening site that NorCal is now open Mon-Sat and they don't announce their sales, but the $15 per cart terra cotta deal was still running this week. I'd call before I went to verify those details.

For those of you in southern California you might give their location in Fontana a call and see if there is anything comparable in your half of the state: http://www.norcalpottery.com/contact.html
KaperC
No. San Diego Co., CA
(Zone 10b)

April 16, 2005
4:11 PM

Post #1406673

Thanks, Happenstance, I popped an e-mail to them this morning.

Further to my message for So. Calif pottery -- I did a little shopping yesterday.

El Corral Pottery in Carlsbad is a small store but a good place to visit. (OT: They also have a large selection of Fiesta ware.) While I was browsing, I saw some lovely glazed pots, looked on the sticker and what did I see? "NorCal Pottery"!! They also have some talavera.

Then I went to the Madd Potter in Encinitas -- what a great place. Their prices are NOT low overall, but they have such a selection of pots, garden art, fountains, cactus and succulents. They did have some markdowns and the owner/manager? told me they have some sales coming up and they have a mailing list. I ended up buying some plants for my DH -- he likes succulents -- and she gave me a large sample of a mint scented one off a large plant they have growing there. I DO like people who give away samples! Good selection of talavera. Very large pots. Beautiful fountains.

I googled today and found more I didn't know about, so there are more to visit. It's a tough job, but somebody has to do it!

ladyrowan
Garberville, CA
(Zone 9a)

April 20, 2005
12:26 AM

Post #1413858

Ok, now I'm totally jealous! Hmm... at three dollars a gallon, would it still be a huge savings to make the 3-4 hour (one way) trip to NorCal???? HECK YES! Maybe I can con my friend (who drives an explorer) to go on a shopping expedition with me!

Lori
scooterbug
Tellico Plains, TN
(Zone 7b)

April 20, 2005
3:00 AM

Post #1414179

Lori !!! , You're jealous ? Guess how i feel 2000 miles away ? (pity party going on here ... lol )

But yet I still watch this thread ... why ('-'?) I dunno.
Chuck1260
Arroyo Grande, CA

April 20, 2005
3:10 AM

Post #1414215

Eye of the Day in Carpinteria has wonderful pots. Very expensive, real Italian pots as well as Chinese glazed ones. Tremendous selection and very helpful people. It is right on the main street of Carpinteria, you can take just about any exit. Just beyond Foster Freeze heading north.
Kachinagirl
Modesto, CA
(Zone 8b)

April 20, 2005
10:28 AM

Post #1414618

Explorer? Methinks you need a friend with a Surburban! LOL K
Happenstance
Northern California, CA

April 20, 2005
11:33 AM

Post #1414668

Not a chance that even a Suburban will do it for TWO of you. I think you need to get here in the most economical car you can find and then rent a TRUCK ! With two sets of hands and a truck to fill, you could set a record for loading the carts!

Calif_Sue

Calif_Sue
Northern California
United States
(Zone 9a)

April 20, 2005
3:06 PM

Post #1415010

Wish I had taken a picture of my Yukon XL (Suburban) when we stuffed it full. Took me 1/2 hr. at least. (Note to self- bring old blankets, drop cloths, clay pots are not kind to leather seats)
hanna1
Castro Valley, CA
(Zone 9a)

April 21, 2005
6:37 PM

Post #1417757

OK now, living here in Castro Valley, you folks living next door to me in San Leandro, please please let me know when you go next time, PLEASE? And you too Happenstance!
Grace, do we still have a plant date?? lol, Annie
Let's all get together for a lunch and play date, We could get into so much mischief, coudn't we, LOLLOL, Annie
hanna1
Castro Valley, CA
(Zone 9a)

April 21, 2005
6:37 PM

Post #1417758

OK now, living here in Castro Valley, you folks living next door to me in San Leandro, please please let me know when you go next time, PLEASE? And you too Happenstance!
Grace, do we still have a plant date?? lol, Annie
Let's all get together for a lunch and play date, We could get into so much mischief, coudn't we, LOLLOL, Annie

Calif_Sue

Calif_Sue
Northern California
United States
(Zone 9a)

May 23, 2005
5:50 PM

Post #1491610

Another visit a wek ago, another $16.31 tax included.

Thumbnail by Calif_Sue

Calif_Sue

Calif_Sue
Northern California
United States
(Zone 9a)

May 23, 2005
5:53 PM

Post #1491619

A total of 29 pots, that works out to .56 cents per pot, not bad! These are all pretty much planted now and I need more LOL!

Thumbnail by Calif_Sue

Calif_Sue

Calif_Sue
Northern California
United States
(Zone 9a)

May 23, 2005
5:56 PM

Post #1491627

This one is from one of my trips last month.

Thumbnail by Calif_Sue

KaperC
No. San Diego Co., CA
(Zone 10b)

May 23, 2005
6:04 PM

Post #1491658

Calif_Sue, you wouldn't want to rent a truck and drive down south for the roundup next month, would you?

:-)

Calif_Sue

Calif_Sue
Northern California
United States
(Zone 9a)

May 23, 2005
6:41 PM

Post #1491760

man, I wish I could but I have a plant sale that day for our new daylily club, otherwise I would be sorely tempted! Would be fun.
KaperC
No. San Diego Co., CA
(Zone 10b)

May 24, 2005
4:09 AM

Post #1493091

Sorry you can't make it -- pots or no! And congratulations on your haul.
Emtnest
Chico, CA

May 24, 2005
7:09 AM

Post #1493256

Question???? Is that $16.31 for all those terracotta pots a special sale or is that the "all the time" price? Dottie

Calif_Sue

Calif_Sue
Northern California
United States
(Zone 9a)

May 24, 2005
1:31 PM

Post #1493591

They have had this Mexican pot special, all you can fit on a large Home Depot style cart for several months now.
Happenstance
Northern California, CA

May 24, 2005
2:16 PM

Post #1493660

Morning Sue -

You did good! Again! LOL

I really should get down there again, I'm still so amazed by the prices and you got some really lovely ones.
ladyrowan
Garberville, CA
(Zone 9a)

May 24, 2005
11:38 PM

Post #1494920

I am SO jealous!!! ... and planning a trip some time in the near future... do you think my dad will mind if I 'borrow' his truck for a shopping trip? Somehow, I think he will... *sigh*

How much does it cost to rent a U-Haul? :P

Lori
Kachinagirl
Modesto, CA
(Zone 8b)

May 25, 2005
5:27 AM

Post #1495649

Take Dad along and buy him lunch...it's cheaper than renting a truck! LOL
ladyrowan
Garberville, CA
(Zone 9a)

May 25, 2005
7:07 AM

Post #1495737

HA!!! That would be lots of fun, but its a 6+ hour drive, so I'm thinking he wouldn't be too excited... but I might try begging... Maybe the next time Mom goes out of town.

Gardening is REALLY not her thing. She helped dig up a garden bed at their house a couple of weeks ago, and I got a short, terse letter about the fact that she was sweaty, and had dirt under her fingernails!!! She's pretty funny.

I'd love to go, though. However, I'm also going to have to create a "AA" club for people with the same kind of 'pot' problems. :P I can't help it... I love gardening in containers!!

Lori
Happenstance
Northern California, CA

June 11, 2005
11:17 PM

Post #1539879

Between a couple of family commitments this morning I managed to work in a trip to NorCal and Berkeley Horticultural Nursery. No "extra special" deals at Norcal this time. According to the management the next Sale will be Dec/Jan. Nevertheless it is well worth the hour's drive. I think I came away with about 25 pots, 2 terra cotta pedestals (the kind you can put a planter bowl on), and a couple of terra cotta hanging pots for under $100.
None of the ones I got this time were duplicates of what I got last time, a really nice selection.

Happenstance
Northern California, CA

June 11, 2005
11:19 PM

Post #1539883

I picked up two of each of these large low bowls (somewhere between 22" -24") and two terra cotta pedestals for bowls I already have.

Happenstance
Northern California, CA

June 11, 2005
11:20 PM

Post #1539887

Probably my favorite from this batch is the tall Italian pot with the fruit garland on it in the upper right corner of this image. In the foreground left is one or several glazed in a brown coppery metallic glaze...just beautiful!!

tabasco
Cincinnati (Anderson, OH
(Zone 6a)

June 12, 2005
2:05 PM

Post #1541174

I am lurking and envious of your Pot Bonanzas! Can't wait to see some planted! And please don't keep your planted pot pics 'secret' on the CA forum!

Congratulations on your finds! t.

Calif_Sue

Calif_Sue
Northern California
United States
(Zone 9a)

June 12, 2005
2:10 PM

Post #1541187

No deals until Dec/Jan?!! Whahhhh! I have wanting to go back a couple of weeks now and never had the time, guess you snooze, you loose. Oh well, I definately will go soon again as I need more but now will be deciding ahead of time what sizes I need/want.
I always thought those 'pedestals' where the tops of the chimineas, fire pots. But pedestals are a good idea if they stay secure enough.
Nice to see what they have Candy, it's always something new and different.
Happenstance
Northern California, CA

June 12, 2005
2:48 PM

Post #1541299

Morning Sue -

The reason I asked about a future sale was because way at the back of the yard were dozens of 10' tall pallets of pots still in the wrappers of plastic. The manager indicated that the warehouse was packed and they had no room for them inside. All the pallets were marked as "seconds". Don't know whether to believe there will be no more sales 'til winter and as you know they do NOT advertise...that's just crazy in my opinion. His take on it was that there was no reason to have a sale during the warm months, since they could easily sell their inventory for the normal everyday low prices.

Those particular pedestals could also be used for the chimineas tops (and that may have been their original purpose), but I have used them for pedestals by adhereing large low bowls with construction adhesive. They can also be inverted and the smaller end buried in the ground with a bowl set on the larger end...no adhesive is necessary if you find a bowl with a rim around the base that fits inside the larger end of the pedestal.

Another tip when you are out and about looking at pots. If you find a nice pot, whether glazed or terra cotta, and it has no drainage hole (meant for indoors or as an exterior liner pot), there is a way to put drainage holes in the bottom. A masonary bit mounted on an electric drill can be used to carefully drill holes in the bottom. With the terra cotta pots I usually soak them first because it makes the drilling easier. I've yet to break a pot using this method. Takes just a couple of minutes to put 4 or so holes in the bottom of a pot.

Calif_Sue

Calif_Sue
Northern California
United States
(Zone 9a)

June 12, 2005
4:09 PM

Post #1541483

Great tips Candy, I really like the idea for using that as a stand and will definately have to get one now.
Hubby drilled several for me, never thought of soaking first, good idea. He only had one break.
hanna1
Castro Valley, CA
(Zone 9a)

June 30, 2005
8:09 PM

Post #1589365

Has anyone down South been to Mainly Seconds? There is one in N. Orange County, I believe La Habra, one in South Orange County, Costa Mesa, and maybe more! They normally have great prices on their pottery, and they do carry a lot of pots, large and small, when I lived there, that's the main place I would go to! Also have plants at a great price, including many C&S to feed my habit! LOL, and a LOT more!!!!
Annie

Kell

Kell
Northern California, CA
(Zone 9b)

July 3, 2005
6:51 PM

Post #1595999

My husband just drilled a bunch of pots for me yesterday Candy. The only one he broke was the one he dropped. LOL.

I have been going to Norcal for literally years and years. My entire yard is Norcal pots. The trouble with them, is they usually have tons and tons of the same pot in different colors. So they may have 4 basic styles and that is mostly all they have in different sizes and colors. Lots of their pots are carried by HD and Target. They also have lots of Mexican clay.

But you really have to look closely because practically all are very visable seconds. The really good things, like a few Candy has shown, disappear right away. If you luck out when they are emptying a pallet, then you may get very lucky and get something unuusal or very large. But you must look closely because all are seconds. And always check for hairline cracks.

I found a new store last week. I went back yesterday and bought more pots. I think they are comparable to Norcal's everyday prices when Norcal is not having their huge sales. . What I liked is they have tons and tons of huge pots, none seconds. They have the ones that size down, so you can get 3 matching all sizes. They are made in Vietnam. I really loved some of them. A good selection. I will post a thread later about them when I have more time.

I got this one from them for $40. It is bigger than a 15 gallon pot and much taller I just love it. Perfect for my standards and it does not take up very much room for it goes up not out.

Thumbnail by Kell

Kell

Kell
Northern California, CA
(Zone 9b)

July 3, 2005
6:57 PM

Post #1596008

Annie, I forgot to answer you. I haven't been there for years. But just the other day I saw them unloading a huge shipment and thought to myself I need to go back there and check it out!! Now with your recommendation, I will definitely go soon.
Happenstance
Northern California, CA

July 3, 2005
9:35 PM

Post #1596358

OK Kell...was this the place in Berkeley. Name please? :-)

Re: Tom and dropping pot.

That's the reason I drill my own pots. DH is not keen on all this gardening stuff. LOL

That's one lovely blue pot! And not a bad price for something that special either.

Kell

Kell
Northern California, CA
(Zone 9b)

July 4, 2005
5:48 AM

Post #1597385

I am the queen of gaud lately, Candy. I am going in for the bright blue highly glazed pots.

It is a brand new place over by Bay Fair. They are having a 50% off sale for their opening for the next 2 weeks. I got the feeling they will deal after that too. I got a bit more off by buying a few and asking for a bigger discount. They also have smaller pots, nice ones too, for about $8. Equivalent to 3 gallon size.

They had metal ones too. And all clay ones. All were a great price. I will start a thread. I do not want you all going over there yet though for I need to go buy a few more, LOL. They are getting a new container next week and another in few weeks. I liked it much more than Norcals. At first I was overwhelmed, then I started just looking 1 pot at a time. Some were ugly, some were great.
jcangemi
Clovis, CA
(Zone 9a)

July 4, 2005
2:58 PM

Post #1597895

And the name of it is .. . . . . .(drum roll. . .. .. : )

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

March 27, 2007
9:07 AM

Post #3324973

BTW, someone from Canyon Pottery wrote to us to let us know their address is really on Aero Road, not on Frazee (maybe they've moved? I dunno.)

Anyway, I used that opportunity to add the places mentioned above to Go Gardening:

Canyon Pottery: http://davesgarden.com/go/view/4236/
Eye of the Day: http://davesgarden.com/go/view/4240/
Madd Potter: http://davesgarden.com/go/view/4239/
NorCal: http://davesgarden.com/go/view/4237/
Pottery El Corral: http://davesgarden.com/go/view/4238/

I hope y'all will take a moment to review the places you've visited - it'll make it easier for you and others to plan future road trips!

Calif_Sue

Calif_Sue
Northern California
United States
(Zone 9a)

March 27, 2007
2:35 PM

Post #3325964

Thanks Terry, I added my review for the Nor-Cal outlet.

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

March 29, 2007
8:37 AM

Post #3331967

Thanks, Sue!
joeysplanting
Vallejo, CA
(Zone 9b)

March 30, 2007
3:42 AM

Post #3335491

Wow! I don't believe I haven't seen this thread earlier. I see Nor-Cal often from the freeway when I visit my friends (it's about 30 minutes from home), but have never visited. I think I have to stop by on one of my days off.

Happenstance, thanks for bring this to my attention :)
dun1kirk
Berkeley, CA
(Zone 9a)

April 1, 2007
9:15 PM

Post #3344936

Okay you guys. I have a 3500 Dodge Ram truck. It will fit loads. I'm in Berkeley. Anyone want to go?
Kachinagirl
Modesto, CA
(Zone 8b)

April 2, 2007
2:21 PM

Post #3347386

I wonder when they're having their next sale. If anyone finds out, will you please post...then all of us central CA DG'ers can decend on them like a pack of hungry wolves. LOL

k

Kell

Kell
Northern California, CA
(Zone 9b)

April 5, 2007

Post #3357236

A few of us were there a month or so ago and they said no more big sales. We were so sad!

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

April 5, 2007
11:12 AM

Post #3358088

Kell, that's a shame! I loved watching this thread (and I can hardly believe it was two years ago Happenstance started it!)

I still hope those of you who have visited these places will post a review for each place you've been. Your insights will help others as they plan their next garden center foray, expedition or full-blown road trip ;o)
mimitho
Sonoma County, CA
(Zone 8b)

April 5, 2007
11:32 AM

Post #3358172

Boo hoo. I was hopin' to get in on one of these events. Oh well, I'll probably still go there when it's time to replace a bunch of my deck pottery.

Kell

Kell
Northern California, CA
(Zone 9b)

April 6, 2007
1:58 AM

Post #3360713

It is a shame, Terry! And I too can't believe 2 years has passed.

I stopped by there today to see what they had and the yard is very empty. Mostly what they had left in glazed pottery was too defective to want. However their clay inventory is always good. And the prices still are great, sale or no sale.

I think they must have had a huge spring rush to get so barren!

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

April 6, 2007
6:48 PM

Post #3362923

Here's one on S99 freeway to Bakerfield, CA which I did took pic that what it look alike. See on West side of freeway.

Thumbnail by JuJu55

spidra
Berkeley, CA
(Zone 9b)

April 7, 2007
4:12 PM

Post #3365960

Dang it. I got all excited and then I saw the original posts were two years old. Shoot.

We have Aw Pottery just up the road from me but I got the impression their prices were nowhere near as good. http://www.shopinberkeley.com/a/awpotteryusa/index.php
spidra
Berkeley, CA
(Zone 9b)

April 16, 2007
2:06 AM

Post #3396557

Here's a Norcal pot I bought at Long's in Berkeley 2 years ago. I love love love it. I want more of it but have never seen it again. I'm so disappointed the outlet is only open when I'm at work and that I *didn't* find that out while I was on medical leave...

edit: I don't know why it turned out sideways. The original isn't.

Thumbnail by spidra

KaperC
No. San Diego Co., CA
(Zone 10b)

April 17, 2007
12:32 AM

Post #3400263

That is a great looking pot, spidra.
I was at WalMart the other day and saw a nice pot, turned it over and sure enough, it said Norcal.
spidra
Berkeley, CA
(Zone 9b)

April 17, 2007
1:59 AM

Post #3400366

> My husband just drilled a bunch of pots for me yesterday Candy. The only one he broke was the one he dropped

That's a question I've been dying to ask. I've got two large glazed pots but no drainage holes. What sort of drill bit do you need to use to get through them without making the pots break?
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

April 17, 2007
10:14 AM

Post #3400975

A masonry bit should work, and I've read somewhere (I think on the container gardening forum) that if you put a piece of masking tape across where the hole should go and drill through that instead of directly into the pot then it won't break.
spidra
Berkeley, CA
(Zone 9b)

April 17, 2007
1:56 PM

Post #3401642

Thanks, ecrane3.

PotEmUp

PotEmUp
Fremont, CA
(Zone 9a)

April 21, 2007
12:04 PM

Post #3415189

I use a masonry bit, with a hammer drill. I try to make sure that there is no dead space under the pott and drill from the inside. So far, none have broken. The hammer drill sure does speed up the process, but the noise adds to the fear factor of it breaking.

My last trip to NorCal found them now taking credit cards. It has been a long time since they have had the "fill the cart" specials, but they still have great deals.
lizrainey
San Mateo, CA
(Zone 9b)

April 21, 2007
4:13 PM

Post #3415614

hello all,

thank you for starting this thread,

i had no idea this place was in exsistance and its only about 20 miles from home lol

just to let you know i asked if there was any cart sale of any kind going on and the lady said no and that they havent done that in a couple of years and that they didnt need to, but i was happy to get the pots i did for 70.00 and they do take bank cards now

thanks again liz

Thumbnail by lizrainey

spidra
Berkeley, CA
(Zone 9b)

April 21, 2007
5:12 PM

Post #3415756

Liz, if you were shopping there this morning, we probably passed each other. I'll post a picture of my haul later. Right now I'm power-napping prior to going help a friend move.
Plantcrazii
Dallas, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 21, 2007
5:53 PM

Post #3415881

You got quite a great haul there liz. Make sure to take photos after you have them full of plants.

Jesse
spidra
Berkeley, CA
(Zone 9b)

April 22, 2007
1:57 AM

Post #3417146

Okay, here's today's haul. It cost me $60. Got one gilded pot that matches one I bought at retail. Got more gilded pots, one chromed, several pastel glazed, and more.

Thumbnail by spidra

spidra
Berkeley, CA
(Zone 9b)

April 22, 2007
2:00 AM

Post #3417152

The yard wasn't as stuffed as it was in Happenstance's 2005 pics, but it was still worth the 32 mi. round trip.

Thumbnail by spidra

faeden
SF Bay Area, CA
(Zone 9b)

April 22, 2007
2:06 AM

Post #3417160

There's a place up behind Annie's Annuals in Richmond called Pottery Land. They have pretty good prices and lots of inventory too. The only problem is that they aren't open on the weekends and I don't think they take credit cards either. But it's worth checking out, especially if you're going to Annie's during the week anyway.

Marilyn
lizrainey
San Mateo, CA
(Zone 9b)

April 22, 2007
8:39 AM

Post #3417493

hi spidra,

we were there around 8.35 didnt stay long being my first trip,i needed bigger pots and i can go crazy when theres a deal lol.

but the next time oh boy watch out!! i see you did real good on your flat bed i was thinking about those crome pots too im on vacation next week so i just might have to make time to go again
lizrainey
San Mateo, CA
(Zone 9b)

April 22, 2007
8:42 AM

Post #3417500

hi jesse,

thanks, i'll get some pics as soon as i decide what to plant lol

liz
Plantcrazii
Dallas, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 22, 2007
10:47 AM

Post #3417831

Thanks Liz.

Jesse

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

April 22, 2007
5:22 PM

Post #3418862

I added Pottery Land here: http://davesgarden.com/go/view/5218/

We're always happy to create entries for any companies, parks, markets, etc. that you'd like to review...but the real treat for future readers is to hear first-hand accounts of what these places are like when they use Go Gardening - so please add your reviews of NorCal and the others to their entries ;o)
faeden
SF Bay Area, CA
(Zone 9b)

April 22, 2007
5:37 PM

Post #3418905

Thanks, Terry! I didn't even look to see if they were in GardenWatchdog. Even though they're right behind Annie's and you can access them from that direction, their street address isn't the same. It's 801 Chesley Avenue, not 740 Market Street. I submitted a review for them. I hope they do more with their website - it's bare bones and doesn't begin to show what they have.

Marilyn

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

April 22, 2007
6:27 PM

Post #3419038

Marilyn, I had their address as 801 Chesley, but their website says that's their mailing address, and gives the 740 Market Street as their physical location.
faeden
SF Bay Area, CA
(Zone 9b)

April 22, 2007
6:35 PM

Post #3419059

Oops! Sorry. Next question - Why is Pottery Land not shown in Garden Watchdog? I searched on "Pottery Land" and got no hits. I notice on your link the title says, "Information on Pottery Land" instead of just "Pottery Land." Could that be the reason I don't get any hits? I also checked a couple of other places, and their titles show as, "The scoop on '[name of nursery]'" - single quotes around the nursery name. Help!!

Marilyn
spidra
Berkeley, CA
(Zone 9b)

April 22, 2007
7:03 PM

Post #3419131

faeden, unless a company does mail order, it's not listed in Garden Watchdog. However, there's a new section for listing local garden centers, etc. That's where the Norcal listing is. Hit the "Go Garden" tab.

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

April 22, 2007
7:08 PM

Post #3419143

What spidra said ;o)
faeden
SF Bay Area, CA
(Zone 9b)

April 22, 2007
7:44 PM

Post #3419237

Oh, DUH!! I hate these Senior Moments! If I'd paid attention to what tab was highlighted I wouldn't have made such a fool of myself! Aaarrrrggghhhh!!!!

Mea culpa!

Marilyn
GiddyMoon
Carmichael, CA

May 5, 2007
9:21 PM

Post #3466830

Oh...Oh...Seriously? I am drooling. My mouth is watering, no joke. I know San Leandro...haven't been there ina few year...but I know it..and I also have a trailer to hitch to the back of the suv...now to talk sweet to the better half.

Insane.

Kell

Kell
Northern California, CA
(Zone 9b)

May 7, 2007
3:43 PM

Post #3472770

I was there Friday I think it was and they do not even have many good clay pots left and no large ones. Not worth a trip at all. Unless you want small pots, like under 10 inches.

PotEmUp

PotEmUp
Fremont, CA
(Zone 9a)

May 7, 2007
9:45 PM

Post #3474025

I guess we shoulda kept this as a better secret.
spidra
Berkeley, CA
(Zone 9b)

May 8, 2007
11:53 AM

Post #3475788

While I visited, a woman scooped up every large pot she could get her hands on. I imagine things vary quite a bit throughout the year. There will probably be more large pots in a couple months.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other California Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Hello fellow Californians....let's introduce ourselves! Kachinagirl 398 Mar 12, 2011 9:02 PM
Your area's best nurseries srkrause 98 Aug 9, 2007 10:51 PM
Any gopher solutions? Zuzu 410 Nov 19, 2011 8:08 PM
Anyone else have squirrel problems? lilystorm 23 Aug 2, 2008 6:40 PM
Need a vine for shade porch KaperC 38 Aug 10, 2007 5:17 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America