Rethymno, Crete, Greece(Zone 10b)

this is a very popular plant in Crete, and I have about 10 plants of this type. Is it Syriacus??
And if yes, do you have any pruning advice?? The branches seem to grow in all crazy directions !!
many thanks

Dimitri

Thumbnail by dpmichael

This looks more like Hibiscus rosa-sinensis as H. syriacus have slightly more palmate leaves and I've never seen any Hibiscus other than rosa-sinensis with such a stunning colour. A cultivar which looks very similar to the Hibiscus shown is Scarlet Giant.

Pruning is best kept as a light trim.

Macclesfield, CHESHIRE(Zone 8a)

I agree Baa - looks like rosa-sinensis to me too.

El Tel

Crestview, FL(Zone 7b)

Removed by member request

Thank you Baa, you are very helpful always. ElTel, thank you as well.

MzM, I am a bit confused re. althea, alcea, rose of Sharon and good old hollyhock !! I took some slides of wild hollyhock today, they should be available in a week. I rhin kyou will like them.
Dimitri

Crestview, FL(Zone 7b)

Removed by member request

Trish, still confused with latin Althea and Alcea
Yet, I don't bother much...they are just flowers ..
this could be flowerum reddish x biggish ssp whateva !!

Dimitri

LOL Dimitri

I have collected some violet seed for you! There are still a few seed pods unripened so I'm expection to be able to ship them in the next two weeks if you still want them.

MzM

Rose of Sharon to us is Hypericum, Alcea - Hollyhock and Althea - Marshmallow (the last two closely related in the Malva family)

Baa,
I have been very busy for about 1 month now, not sending anything to anyone. Still, I collect all seeds I can and will sort the mail soon - I know we have some trade left to sort. Thank you in advance

Dimitri

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images