AuthorContent
dpmichael
Rethymno, Crete
Greece
(Zone 10b)

June 24, 2001
12:29 PM

Post #7104

this plant is usually grown in pots. Multiple new heads soon occupy all space in the pot - the crammed picture makes me feel the plant is uncomfortable - so I put it down last spring - it took a lot of care to avoid stepping on it all winter, until last March this flower appeared, then it was full of red flowers, then they faded and it was full of white hair, and weeds started growing through its heads, and now it looks pretty comfortable, and I feel uncomofortable.. who can say what it is and what it takes to have it nice and tidy??

Dimitri

Thumbnail by dpmichael
Click the image for an enlarged view.

mark
Antrim, Northern Ire
United Kingdom
(Zone 8b)

June 25, 2001
5:03 PM

Post #86816

hi there

it's the 'peanut cactus' Chamaecereus silvestri

Mark
dpmichael
Rethymno, Crete
Greece
(Zone 10b)

June 26, 2001
8:17 AM

Post #87066

Thank you again, Mark.
Is there something special to know about this cactus??
I have noticed that although they are supposed to do well in drought, they do much better with watering. Do they need
compost? mulching? what ph soil??

Your commentws much appreciated

Dimitri
eltel
Macclesfield, CHESHIRE
(Zone 8a)

June 26, 2001
8:53 AM

Post #87068

Hi Dimitri,

These grow in my greenhouse like a weed. Left to their own devices they make new growths (a bit like cats tails) which drop off and seem to root where they fall. They dont seem to mind neglect. If you forget to water them they survive (I guess they are a desert plant originally anyway) and I only liquid feed them very rarely.

El Tel
mark
Antrim, Northern Ire
United Kingdom
(Zone 8b)

June 26, 2001
4:52 PM

Post #87202

hi Dimitri

here is what I do with all my cacti.

when buds form in the spring I give them a slight misting with water 2 or 3 times a week. when active growth of the plant is seen I water them heavier once a week. I build this up to a point when they are watered along with all my other plants in the greenhouse. once a month they also get a feed using tomato fertiliser. all watering stops in early September so the compost around the plants can dry out completely before winter sets in. no water is given until buds form the following year.

the secret to have lots of flowers is to water normally in the spring and summer and let them get as cold as possible in the winter. wet compost in winter rots the roots and the cactus.

Eltel, peanut cacti that form long growths are usually in poor light conditions but there could be another cause.
dpmichael
Rethymno, Crete
Greece
(Zone 10b)

June 27, 2001
10:17 PM

Post #87706

Mark, thank you so much for your advice. Cacti are easy to grow in Greece, thanks to the dry summers and frost-free winters, but people grow them without knowledge, just put them in the pot and look at thm grow.
Now I will be more decisive and knowledgable.

Dimitri
mark
Antrim, Northern Ire
United Kingdom
(Zone 8b)

June 27, 2001
10:27 PM

Post #87711

glad I could help you

Mark

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Plant Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Help with identification of this shrub dave 86 Nov 11, 2013 6:20 PM
SOLVED: Can Anyone Help Gayl 9 Jun 23, 2014 4:57 AM
SOLVED: help identify herb seeds????? dignbloom 6 Nov 4, 2010 8:08 PM
SOLVED: Mystery perennial dave 22 Nov 3, 2014 6:02 AM
SOLVED: Name my aloe??? tom1953 21 Jul 15, 2012 1:32 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America