Photo by Melody

Saving Seeds: Radishes - how long for the seeds?

Communities > Forums > Saving Seeds
bookmark
Forum: Saving SeedsReplies: 2, Views: 333
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
dave

June 24, 2001
3:15 PM

Post #7114

This may seem like an incredibly dumb question, but how long is one to wait for radish seedpods to ripen for seed harvest?

I sowed Cherry Belle Radishs on March 12th.

Germination March 19th.
Harvest Apr 25.
May 11 the flower stocks were starting to open.

and now, I'm just now starting to see some pods turning brown and becoming fairly brittle. Yet, these pods still have green seeds in them, so I must wait longer yet.

Is this normal for Radishes? I hadn't planned for them to take this long, as I was hoping to use that space in the garden for something else this summer.

Dave
marshseed
Santa Barbara, CA

June 24, 2001
3:40 PM

Post #86490

Dave,

Radish pods ripen over time, starting from the bottom. Given the number of seed produced by each plant, you don't need to wait until all pods ripen on the stalk. I assume that you rouged out off types, leaving the most vigorous and healthy radishes. You can pull the whole plant with some soil and heal in elsewhere or bareroot and hang in a cool shady site to finish seed maturation. I usually clip off the upper section which will never fully ripen anyway. Watch for pod shattering -- bagging will minimize seed loss at later stages.
dsrtgdn
Lancaster, CA

June 24, 2001
6:07 PM

Post #86530

Dave,

The bed I planted with the black spanish radish will be used for squash next month so I had plenty of time to let them ripen in the bed. The radish were planted in fall and were pulled at the end of May when all the seed pods were brown.

As Marsh said, they do ripen gradually.

Put the seed heads (and parts of the stem too)in a big bag. Black trash bags work fine. Walk on the bag to crush the seeds out. You will punch some holes in the bag from the tough stalks and pods but it doesn't matter. The seeds won't be damaged (mostly) and you'll get most of the seeds released from the tough pods without sore fingers. Pour the resulting seeds etc into a bowl or bin and toss to release the chaff.

Chris

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Saving Seeds Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Beans Crossing ragamuffin 2 Dec 25, 2007 7:28 AM
Angelonia tiG 12 Nov 11, 2007 1:19 PM
'homemade' dessicant? patfrompa 4 Dec 16, 2010 7:09 PM
cant find cats whiskers seed berrygirl 16 Jan 7, 2008 4:34 PM
Mountain laurel seeds txjaks 3 Jul 8, 2008 5:36 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America