My new chicks!

New Iberia, LA(Zone 9a)

Yes, we got some chicks. Black are Barred Rocks and the yellows are Buff Rocks. They are heavy breed. I got them at local feeder store. The kids saw and begged me to buy some. Glad I did! LOL

Here's the photos I took of today. I keep them in the garage for now until I build them a chicken tractor with PVC that I can use it as I have now and save my $.

I put newspaper around cause they makes messy out of cage, you know. I had light in there to keep them warm during nights cause they are still baby. Theyare about 1 to 2 weeks old now.

Enjoy the photos!
Tricia

Thumbnail by MiniSchnuz
New Iberia, LA(Zone 9a)

Here's my chicks.. Aren't they cute?

Thumbnail by MiniSchnuz
New Iberia, LA(Zone 9a)

In the bowl of chick starter, chick was taking dust bathing lol! Everyone is waiting for turn!

Thumbnail by MiniSchnuz
New Iberia, LA(Zone 9a)

Close up of chicks

Thumbnail by MiniSchnuz
Klamath Falls, OR(Zone 6a)

They are adorable! I love the one in the feed dish LOL

New Iberia, LA(Zone 9a)

The Buff Rock chick.

Thumbnail by MiniSchnuz
Middlesbrough, United Kingdom

They're gorgeous!

New Iberia, LA(Zone 9a)

I am taking my time!

Thumbnail by MiniSchnuz
New Iberia, LA(Zone 9a)

I promise.. last one! lol

This is Barred Rock chick.

Thumbnail by MiniSchnuz
New Iberia, LA(Zone 9a)

Oh all are so cute baby chicks!
I was thinking about to get some for us someday but how much does it cost for each?

New Iberia, LA(Zone 9a)

RedRose. It cost $1.89 each.. but you can get cheaper if you buy chicks from http://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/product/buff_rocks.html They sell each from 1 to 25 chicks for $1.79 each. It is cheaper. THey have different kind chicks. Next time I wqill order from there instead buy chicks from local feeders cause they won't take dead chick.

New Iberia, LA(Zone 9a)

That is not bad only 10 cents more for each chick if order from that will add to pay S/H that you bought the place is cheaper. Thank you for let me know about this. I appreciate.

New Iberia, LA(Zone 9a)

ur welcome! Yesterday I took the PVC pipes out and laying them down on ground and figured it out to build a chicken tractor or small pen to put my chicks in there so they will stay there and I can move chicken tractor or pen to fresh grass daily. I drew picture on paper so DH can help me to build and easy way to collect eggs that you can open box door and collect egg from back of chicken tractor. For now, I will just let them have more babies then if too many roosters.. they will go to the fryer pan! LOL

NW Qtr, AR(Zone 6a)

Ahh, Mini .. The chicks are the sweetest lil critters! Most all baby 'anythings' .. always manage to give us humans some mitey wonderful giggles and entertainment !!

Great shots too!! ... But, your 6th pic . . . 'I am taking my time!' . . is the most adorable!! .. lol ..

LUV your captions Mini !!

I'm sure ya know, how some folks make comments about a bunch of us women that'll stand around yappin' and gossipin' like some old hens -?- . . . Well that 6th shot, seems to truly depict such a situation!! .. LoL .. Just as if the three black chicks are saying, " There's miss prissy-goody-two-shoes stayin' over-time at the beauty salon again!!" .. and the other 'ol hens' are just carryin' on so about her over-indulgence!! "Who does she think she is!?!" . . . "Hah, as if it's gonna do her any good! " And they start snickery-gigglin' between themselves ... (* heehee * ) ...

Thanks for sharing your newly acquired 'babies' with us.

- Magpye

Klamath Falls, OR(Zone 6a)

LOL Maypye, that was soooo funny! I enjoyed your comments.

New Iberia, LA(Zone 9a)

Thank you ! :o)

Updated on chicks.. I think I have 4 rooster ( 1 Barred Rocks and 3 Buff Rocks).. They had their first feathers! They're so cute and getting big! We are going to move them in their chicken tractor today or this week. I am trying to get my chicken tractor done today!

New Iberia, LA(Zone 9a)

Updated!!! Finally, I finished built the chicken tractor or you called it. We moved the chicks into the pen and they were so happy and flying/running around as they was spreading their wings. Funny to watch and makes me feel good to know they are happy in new home (pen). Tonight, I put heat lamp over the pen so it will keep them warm during nights due cool weather. It's in our backyard and we keep Teddy outside during nights so he can wake us up if some critters come??

I will take pic of the pen and post it tmw. I am so tired from long day.. working on the pen! My fingers are so sore and pain.. Now I can sit back and enjoy watch them. In few months, they will bring us some fresh large brown eggs! Yummy!

NW Qtr, AR(Zone 6a)

Ahh .. and, there haint nuffin' like fresh yard eggs !!

I envy you in that respect - but geez, between the snakes, coyotes and wild hogs -we'd jes be invitin' more trouble than it'd be worth! hee

Ever so often, we find some locals selling the fresh eggs .. and we figger that we're helpin' the folks selling them!

Will be lookin' forward to those updated pics ...

- Magpye

New Iberia, LA(Zone 9a)

Here's the pictures.. took this am!

The chicken tractor or pen was made by myself, without DH's help! My DD helped me a bit with chicken poultry fence yesterday. I only spent $40.00 on materials(few pvc pipes/fittings, tarp, chicken poultry fence (2 rolls), and wires) . I have some left over pvc pipes that my sisters gave me for greenhouse but I don't use it. It's been sitting on ground for long time. I went to http://www.angelfire.com/falcon/thecitychicken/tractors.html and gave me the idea. So I built one! I worked on it every early am and evening. So I am proud myself with my first project! LOL

Please ignore the gate!!!! It's not perfect but I tried.. I forget to measure and glued it! Too late! LOL.. It can be move around with two people to carry it. It's pretty bit heavy to move by yourself. I will add strong fence attach to the pen like L shape around end of pen on bottom to prevent from critters dig and go under the pen. The gate is pretty tight and hard to open . My boy Matt who's 1 and couldnt open it !!

So what do you think about my new chicken tractor? LoL

Thumbnail by MiniSchnuz
New Iberia, LA(Zone 9a)

The side of the chicken tractor..

Thumbnail by MiniSchnuz
New Iberia, LA(Zone 9a)

The gate!

Thumbnail by MiniSchnuz
New Iberia, LA(Zone 9a)

Want to see my 10 growing chicks?? So far I have 4 roosters!!!!!!! You can see him in pix! lol I will need to rid two of them.. I want to keep one Barred Rock rooster and one Rhode Island Red. I might want to try to make other two as my pet like my beloved Red Devil? Honest. I am still looking for Brown Leghorn rooster chick for a pet. I missed my beloved Red Devil.

At first at the local feeder store.. the man said They are Barred Rocks and the Buff Rocks.. But they look like Rhode Island Red not Buff Rocks? What do you think? There's 3 roosters (Rhode Island Red??) I know how mean they are. My bro used to have lots of Rhode Island Red.. OH boy, the rooster was soo mean, tried to attack me between the fence!

I need questions.. how many build nest box I should put in there. Two or three? LMK! I might use the large Rubbermaid case cut hole on side... It did work with my other mixed Bantam hen. I think I will build a stand and put nest on high to prevent from snake, ants etc..

Thumbnail by MiniSchnuz
New Iberia, LA(Zone 9a)

Close up of young chicks..

Thumbnail by MiniSchnuz
New Iberia, LA(Zone 9a)

You did doing good not bad for your first time do yourself project the chicken tractor still good to use it.

This message was edited Apr 20, 2005 3:25 PM

New Iberia, LA(Zone 9a)

RedRose.. yes it is. It's not hard to build. It's great for chickens. I will move them around and give grass the fertizler.... make grass soo green! lol..

New Iberia, LA(Zone 9a)

LOL you're right.

Shenandoah Valley, VA(Zone 6b)

Good work, and sweet chicks! If you've only got the 6 girls, two nesting boxes should be plenty. We're in the process of building a larger version of the Mother Earth tractor.

New Iberia, LA(Zone 9a)

Thanks Zeppy.. So far I think I got 6 hen. I will know for sure in few weeks.

NW Qtr, AR(Zone 6a)

Mini .. it does look like the ideal (portable) pen .. to move around the yard.

And, one fine and dandy job you and your daughter have done .. in constructing it, too!! I'll bet you guys had a ball of fun puttin' it together! .. hee ..

Zeppy .. a big ol 'hearty' welcome to DG to you!! .. Hope you'll keep the rest of us in mind, when you opt to take some shots of your 'tractor' pen also ..

Heck, long years ago .. we'd just turn a large plastic laundry basket upside down and shove the lil chicks under there - to allow them to peck and scratch in the grass and soil! Of course, we'd stay out and keep a eye on them. Still makes me chuckle, to remember our watching them. The lil chicks would try to run and romp and jump to their delight; of course, it was quite a bit limited in space, even in a large upside down laundry basket - but they thought they were 'free' !! .. *lol* ..

- Magpye

New Iberia, LA(Zone 9a)

LOL Magpye.. I remembered when I was little. I used the laundry basket upside down and attached with long string and put stick to open the basket up a little.. I went and hid and waited for black birds to go under to eat the bread and pulled the string and basket went down. When I opened the basket up a little. They sneaked and flew away quickly before I went and grab one of them. LOL

We are planning to build a big chicken coop someday after we are done with here house which need some work.

Guess what? I am getting a baby chick soon.. with feather feets! I went and saw the baby chicks yesterday and the parents are so beautiful. They asked if I want a rooster.. I said yeah why not since they want to rid roosters and keep one. They are waiting for chicks to grow and know which rooster and hen are. I want to ask them for a hen, too. lol.. One of my friends think I am Chicken Freak cause I have several chickens to my collecting lol. They're fun animals.

New Iberia, LA(Zone 9a)

Oh you will get chicken with feather on feet, I can't wait to see next pix of it when you get them.

New Iberia, LA(Zone 9a)

Sure. .I will. It would be few weeks. I forget what they told me the extactly name of the chicks. They said they are feathered feet bantams. I saw the Rooster.. He's huge and beautiful buff colors.. thick and the hen is dark brown huge hen.. The chicks was so tiny and cute!

Moberly, MO

Chickens are so fun. I bought a couple of supposably female Auraconas/Americonas (I forgot which) one turned out to be a rooster- it was not such a bad surprise. They were both active scratchers and foragers. I bought a couple of New Hampshire red hens- they are both the sweetest things. And I bought a rhode island red hen- she killed a 12 inch snake last summer!

The first tractor I built was an experience to learn from. I used hardwood (HEAVY) because that's what I had laying around. I can't move it very easily. It's shaped like a trapazoid-rectangular on the bottom and triangular on the top. When winter came, I wrapped it with plastic and stapled it. In reflection, I think I could have saved some money using the old plastic weeve feed sacks instead. They would have lasted longer anyway. I'm using an old kitty litter box for a nesting box. All 4 hens share it.

After they forage around for a while, I feed them laying ration mixed with corn, wild bird seed and occasionally kitchen scraps.

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

If they are huge they can't be bantys. Bantys are small chickens. They may have fluffy feathers tho sometimes. There are bantums of many standard and large breeds.

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

I was able to catch one of my chickens from the farm. He is a red bantam rooster. I call him BJ. I have about 4 more to catch. There were over 20 at one time but something is eating them all since we are not there every day. I so hope I can catch the others before they are eaten too. There are 2 white bantam pullets, 1 black bantam/blue spanish muff pullet and 1 bantam/blue spanish muff rooster. He is the 1 I really want as he is from my pet rooster that got killed. His name was Abraham Lincoln because he had a beard. His son also has a beard and we call him Abe Jr.

Abe is on the left. That pullet was his sister and she got killed by whatever is getting them. I wish they were easier to catch but they are free range and very wary.

Thumbnail by CajuninKy
Crossville, TN(Zone 7a)

god i miss having chickens. lol
bantams especially.
so pretty guys!

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

Made a trip back to the farm a couple of days ago to bring 2 of the horses. Our friend still rents the farm but doesn't have any animals on it. We took our old, crippled mare there to graze as it is all flat and that makes life much easier for her. We saw AJ and he is the only one left. We can't catch him so I guess he will stay there for now. Lots for him to eat as everything is blooming. We will keep trying but he is a slick one. I'm sure that's why he is still alive. I'm glad for that but sure wish we could catch him. BJ is doing fine.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images