Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Texas Gardening: Question about Vegetable Garden Mulch

Communities > Forums > Texas Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Texas GardeningReplies: 8, Views: 51
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
txsdar
Harper, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 6, 2005
7:44 PM

Post #1387700

I would like some suggestions for Vegetable Garden Mulch. I would like to mulch now that everything is up and growing. What is best? I do not want to use any thing that might inhibit growth because it is not ok for veggies. Anyone have any suggestions. I have lots and lots of live oak leaves. Would they work or is there something better out there? Thanks Txsdar

frostweed

frostweed
Josephine, Arlington, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 6, 2005
8:28 PM

Post #1387771

The live oak leaves might be o.k. if you don't put them on very thick, or if you want them a little thicker you could shred them. The reason they might not be o.k. if they are put on heavy, is because they repel water when they are fresh, and they might inhibit the flow of water and air to your plants, other wise there is nothing wrong with them.
You could also mix them with grass clippings and that would make them lighter.
You don't have to spend a lot of money on mulch, sometimes the city gives away shreded tree trimmings, and that is good too. Also spoiled hay, some farmers give it away or sell it very cheap. I hope that helped.
Josephine.
maggiemoo
Conroe, TX
(Zone 9a)

April 6, 2005
11:05 PM

Post #1388028

I've heard Paul James ("the gardener guy" on HGTV) say that you want to use straw, not hay, because hay has lots of weed seeds.
TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX
(Zone 6b)

April 7, 2005
4:33 AM

Post #1388632

Thanks frostweed, I did not know that about oak leaves...

Maggiemoo, that is a good point to consider. (Same problem with horse manure).

I have a problem with wind here, so I prefer the hay. The straw tends to blow. The leaves stay if they are beginning to decay though. To avoid weeds, I try to make sure I get GOOD hay. Like the first or second cutting. Esp, alfalfa hay, as it adds nitrogen to the soil. Once I got a load of shredded trees from Borger, and it was awful! I had someone deliver it sight unseen. YECH. They need to get a new shredder or sharpen the blades! And there was trash in there too, and tennis shoes, and mesquite thorns!!! When the wood is in big chips like that, it takes nitrogen from the soil to decompose. However, I have a friend that drives to Amarillo to a chipping site, and it is very fine and free of trash. So have a good look at it first.

A great place to find grass clippings is in the alleys LOL. But it's even better if you get it from friends who you know don't use chemicals on their yard. Sometimes they will even bag it and bring it to you, esp if you bribe them with veggies LOL. Another place is you local recycling center. Maybe you could give them your name and number, and they can call you when a load of grass clippings come in.

Also I read that when you harvest your rhubarb, tear the leaves off and use for mulch. To be honest, I even use weeds, as long as they don't have a blossom or seed pod. They tend to give back to the soil in a big way. For instance, tumbleweeds absorb salt from the soil in the form of potassium sulfate, and when you mulch with them, they add potassium back into the soil. But don't get me started on weeds, I am kind of a little bit eccentric (according to friends) when it comes to weeds LOL

Good luck with your mulching txsdar!

TamaraFaye
bettydee
La Grange, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 7, 2005
5:41 AM

Post #1388692

Any material that is not composted will rob some of the nitrogen from the soil so adding some extra nitrogen helps offset this. Getting material from an unknown source can lead to problems with weed seeds. The mulch could also contain plant material from trees and shrubs that produce natural growth inhibitors. Walnuts, for example, kill competitors and adding their leaves and hulls could damage or kill your vegetables. Even good hay has some weed and/or grass seeds. We put out winter hay bales in areas where the Burmuda is thin.

You need to consider the reasons for mulching: weed suppression, cooling the soil, enriching the soil, adding humus to improve very sandy or heavy clay soils. If you want to suppress weeds, several layers of newspaper work well. It will degrade and can be worked into the soil later. If you want to enrich the soil as well as cut down on the number of weeds, then you need an organic material with compost being the best, assuming the compost got hot enough to kill any seeds present. Oak leaves take a long, long time to break down, but makes great slightly acidic mulch when it does. Since most Texas soils are alkaline, oak leaf mulch helps lower the pH a bit. Materials that take a while to decompose can be used as mulch one year and worked into the soil as humus the next. If you use grass clippings, don't use a very thick layer because it has a tendency to mat blocking water penetration. Mold and fungus usually develop at the bottom of the layer and can cause problems later in the season. I've heard that rice and cotton seed hulls make great mulch because they don't have weeds and it takes them a while to break down. Rototilliing them back into the soil next year will add long lasting humus to the soil.

Start a compost pill for next year. If you don't produce enough brown or green material for the pile, get it from your neighbors or the city and add it to your compost pile and not your garden. Make sure that the temperature gets high enough to kill any seeds present. Use newspaper this year especially if you have already planted your garden and need something quickly. Use this year to find what materials are available in your area.
TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX
(Zone 6b)

April 7, 2005
6:15 PM

Post #1389573

Yes, I forgot that about walnuts, good point. We don't have many in this area though. Wish we had more oak. :-)

I remembered one other thing I saw in a catalog and have heard mentioned on DG. Rubber mulch. They recycle tires and such, and break it down in non-biodegradable permanent mulch. Personally I would not use it because I want things to improve my soil. But lots of people love its looks and its permanence. Esp great for a mow over border.
txsdar
Harper, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 7, 2005
7:39 PM

Post #1389718

I went for Hay. I am going to be gone for a week and neighbor is watering garden and wanted to make it easier for her and also so I do not have to weed as soon as get back. Thanks for all the suggestions. Txsdar
TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX
(Zone 6b)

April 7, 2005
7:46 PM

Post #1389724

Ruth Stout would cheer you on for leaving your garden for a week's vacation. Hopefully your friend won't overwater, LOL Meanwhile, a ton of great information about mulch for those interested...
TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX
(Zone 6b)

June 18, 2005
6:14 AM

Post #1556507

bumped up to read good info again...

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Texas Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
who grows peonies in houston area? vossner 20 Jun 18, 2012 7:58 PM
Texas Invasives List PvillePlanter 18 Mar 14, 2014 5:34 PM
Anyone Up For A Chat? dstartz 29 Jun 30, 2007 5:44 PM
DGrs in SW houston vossner 5 Dec 29, 2013 2:55 PM
Mock Orange in a big pot? mkjones 21 Aug 15, 2011 1:29 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America