Photo by Melody

Handyman: gotta get the fence replaced - and advice?

Communities > Forums > Handyman
bookmark
Forum: HandymanReplies: 11, Views: 49
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
roxroe
Winchester, VA
(Zone 6b)

April 9, 2005
12:43 AM

Post #1392123

We had a big wind storm and parts of the 6' high privacy fence that surrounds the property have broken. I have started calling fencing contractors but fear this is gonna be really really expensive to replace because we are talking about a 1/4 acre rectangle. Does anyone have any advice or experience in fence shopping and the right questions to ask the contractor? I have to admit the fence is in really bad shape - I can probably take the old fence down and dispose of it but I need someone to put the new fence up right. DH is in the middle of renovating the upstairs bathroom and works full time - really cannot bother him with more work.

I really don't like the new super white vinyl stuff. Ugly. We have a wooden fence but it was obviously the lowest quality and no one kept it up with wood preservatives or paint. So it has rotted. I am thinking pressure treated wood. More expensive but I don't want to do this again soon.

Thanks for any help you can offer
nicksgrammy
barrington, IL
(Zone 5a)

April 9, 2005
3:58 PM

Post #1392967

just keep in mind that pressure treated wood leaches chemicals into the ground so you don't want any veggies growing anywhere near it.

perhaps you could buy the materials yourself and hire someone to just install it. that way you wouldn't have to pay a premium on the materials as most contractors add a little on. i don't recommend hiring anyone associated with any of the big box stores(home depot, lowes, etc.) as you will pay a higher price than if you call someone out of the phone book. the big box stores also add on to the cost of any contractors they refer you to.
CAS_Oregon
Eugene, OR

April 9, 2005
4:59 PM

Post #1393059

roxroe, If you end up having a fencing contractor build your fence I'd ask him: 1.what kind of materials he is going to use for the posts, rails, and fencing boards
2.will they be rough or planed
3.how deep he will set the posts, and how wide the hole will be, set in concrete
4. how far apart the post will be- the closer the less weight on the rails when the fencing boards are attached
5.how will the rails be connected to the posts; will he set the top rail on top of the posts to protect the end grain, and if not, how will he protect the end grain of the top of the posts, will he connect the bottom rails with nails, set on blocks, or will he use a metal bracket?
6. how will the fencing boards be attached to the rails; screws, nails, or staples- in my opinion, staples are ugly, but they will probably be cheaper becasue they are faster
7.will the bottoms of the posts be treated with and preservative
8.If you have a gate, what kind of hinges and latches
9. If you have lattice on top how think will it be- the thicker the better

Find out what kind of wood is generally used in VA for fencing before you interview him. I like redwood, but it might not be available at a reasonable price in VA.

I hope this helps a little.
Chad
roxroe
Winchester, VA
(Zone 6b)

April 10, 2005
5:26 PM

Post #1394514

your right Chad it is not available here. thanks for the advice
jburesh
Renton, WA
(Zone 8a)

April 12, 2005
11:11 PM

Post #1399271

I just got through paying a contractor to put up a fence. Rather than putting the pressure treated wood in the ground, I had him use metal brackets that you put on the concrete. The wood isn't buried, so there is no leaching. The brackets are sold with or without concreate already on them. And they are cheaper than buying the pressure treated wood and buring half of it. Here in WA, even that wood decays very quickly. Check the building section of your home depot, you'll see the concrete blocks with the bracket on them.
roxroe
Winchester, VA
(Zone 6b)

April 13, 2005
10:20 PM

Post #1401286

I will ask my Dh if he has seen these (being a fellow that lives at lowes and HD)
He is also from Washington State.
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

April 28, 2005
6:49 PM

Post #1434072

Good tip about the brackets, Jburesh. I think we'll go with those when the time comes we can put in a fence. The less maintenance, the better!

Roxroe, wish you were our neighbor, putting up a new fence. This is what we look at every day. :P

Thumbnail by gardenwife
Click the image for an enlarged view.

roxroe
Winchester, VA
(Zone 6b)

April 29, 2005
12:07 AM

Post #1434668

hey my fence looks better than that!
sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

May 10, 2005
12:17 PM

Post #1459850

My backyard resembled that picture 9 years ago.
roxroe
Winchester, VA
(Zone 6b)

May 10, 2005
8:49 PM

Post #1460773

what did you do? My problem is this is an entire half acre that is fenced. Expensive
sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

May 10, 2005
10:18 PM

Post #1460979

I'd done white picket, but they don't hold small dogs well.
I settled with chain link. It can look neat and pretty with clemantis and roses around it. I also like it doesn't block the light. I have Live Oaks overhead and need to pipe in light if I could.
Across the back I have Hydrangeas Hostas and annuals.
roxroe
Winchester, VA
(Zone 6b)

May 11, 2005
3:23 PM

Post #1462492

mine is a six foot privacy fence - I like it. but replacing it could take some cash

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Handyman Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Easy "Water Pic" Hole Digger roadrunner 20 Apr 11, 2008 3:43 AM
My rain water harvesting pics Dinu 24 Mar 31, 2009 4:28 PM
a peculiar bookcase (Horseshoe, have a look!!) dpmichael 56 Mar 17, 2007 6:57 PM
concrete stain crestedchik 7 May 30, 2007 4:27 AM
hard to move sliding glass door Janiejoy 10 Jul 9, 2009 3:37 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America