Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Home Decorating: Bedroom re-do

Communities > Forums > Home Decorating
bookmark
Forum: Home DecoratingReplies: 42, Views: 583
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

April 10, 2005
10:27 PM

Post #1394885

I gotta brag a little.

Our mid-70s ranch house has a master bedroom which was described as 12 x 16 when we bought the house. (Note to self - always take a tape measure with you when you are house-hunting.)

The bedroom is actually 11.5 x 15.5. Not that a half-foot makes THAT much difference, but it's kind of annoying to realize you got short-changed on the deal, especially when you have a king-sized bed to squeeze in.

Well for the first four years, we didn't try to do that. Oldest son took that bedroom, and we took what is/was a "game room" off the kitchen and made it into our bedroom. (It's 13 x 18 or so, so it was plenty big.)

DS is now in college and since this game room has its own entrance we decided to switch rooms and finally turn some attention to this "master bedroom."

DS had painted the walls gray, which was fine for him, but pretty boring and it clashed with my bed linens. So after we ripped up carpets and laid oak-look laminate, the next step was painting the walls - I went with Cafe au Lait - a taupe-y color.

I also took a hard look at our comforter set, and decided that 7 years was long enough; it was time for a new set. Talk about sticker shock - most places wanted $200 - $500 for a comforter. Yikes!

I then decided I could re-do the whole bedroom (including paint) for $500.

And I did.

Comforter set $90 (same one at JC Penneys was $185, and I'm not sure it included shams and skirt)
Bedside tables - $17 each (reg. $99 each; wayyyy marked down)
Wall lamps - $20 each
New TV stand - $80
Paint - $30
Rug - $80
Flowers - $30
Curtains - $36
Curtain Rod - $15
Pillows - $60
Total - $475

(Okay, so when I finally track down the desk I want - Target never has it in stock) - it'll cost me another $110.)

But I did it, and I think it turned out pretty good. Here are the after shots

Thumbnail by Terry
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

April 10, 2005
10:28 PM

Post #1394887

And from the doorway...

Thumbnail by Terry

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

April 10, 2005
10:32 PM

Post #1394892

And one of the bed (sorry if this one is big...didn't remember to resize it first)

Thumbnail by Terry

BetsyBug
Memphis, TN
(Zone 7b)

April 10, 2005
10:38 PM

Post #1394900

Pretty = good job!
Dea
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6a)

April 10, 2005
10:41 PM

Post #1394903

Great job Terry and family! The white trim on the cafe-au-lait color is really, really nice :)
Zanymuse
Scotia, CA
(Zone 9b)

April 10, 2005
10:46 PM

Post #1394911

Taupe and cream with Black accents is always a great and classy look. Your room on a budget is beautiful.
Terre_
Golden, CO
(Zone 5b)

April 12, 2005
5:50 AM

Post #1397550

It's lovely! I love the pillow color against the comforter.
Debsroots
Northwest, MO
(Zone 5a)

April 12, 2005
2:09 PM

Post #1397997

Very nice...I really enjoy viewing everyones pictures of decorating.

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

April 12, 2005
2:30 PM

Post #1398047

Thanks, y'all. The chair is black - the camera lighting somehow made it look gray. Since I work from home, the bedroom computer is one of two "offices" I alternate between. (The other workstation is in the gameroom/oldest son's bedroom and I use it when I'm keeping an ear on the laundry or dinner, as it's convenient to both of those rooms.)

This room turned out a little darker than I'd like for it to be, but 70s house = small windows, whatcha gonna do ? And the new color palette is very subdued and calming, which is nice.

I need to figure out how to post the "before" pictures of the bedroom (they got saved in a funky format.) When we had the bed perpendicular to where it is now, it really made the room seem tiny. Compounding the problem, we had two smaller dressers in this room, plus an extra club-style chair. (Which didn't match the walls or my old comforter. Ugh!)

When I did the makeover, I consolidated our drawer "stuff" into the larger/taller dresser in the first picture, which had the added benefit of forcing me to get rid of all the old, unmatched socks, stretched-out undergarments we never wear, etc. (Why do we hang onto this stuff, anyway?)

I should also note that before when we re-did the floors and had the closet doors off, we put in new closet organizers which helped us find more room for t-shirts, sweaters, etc. (The former owners apparently lived here for 20+ years and never upgraded from the original single rod-and-shelf configuration - why? and HOW?????)

Anyway, I hope this helps give others ideas - I know I soaked up all the "design-on-a-dime" and budget makeover tips and ideas I could find before I started. I think all-told we spent about $1,000 (new flooring, new quarter-round trim, paint, closet organizers, plus all the things I bought for the makeover.) Not a lot of money, but still a good chunk o'change for most folks. I think it was well worth it to give us a pulled-together, grown-up bedroom, and to make the room "show" better when the time comes to put it on the market.
elsie
Lafayette, NJ
(Zone 6a)

April 12, 2005
10:32 PM

Post #1399183

Terry, your bedroom looks great! Your bed is stunning.
nut4spuds
Wichita, KS

April 13, 2005
9:35 PM

Post #1401198

Beautiful. You did a great job!
aggiesmom
Wewoka, OK
(Zone 7a)

April 14, 2005
12:21 PM

Post #1402281

Hey Terry! Are you sure this is the same room? I have seen the "before" and you did a wonderful job!!! Now, if you would just come help me on my rather large project!!!! We are still betwixt and between but hopefully will be all together by Sunday night.

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

April 14, 2005
12:39 PM

Post #1402309

Hi, Aggiesmom - giggle, yes you did see the "before" room! It looks a little different, doesn't it? I wish we were closer so I could help you out, too. Sending a big hug to you and your family!

P.S. We got the wedding invitation in yesterday's mail. Now to figure out how to be in KS for the weekend of the fourth ;o)
aggiesmom
Wewoka, OK
(Zone 7a)

April 14, 2005
1:59 PM

Post #1402488

Hope you can work it out - we can celebrate birthdays & a wedding if I remember correctly!! Best get busy packing since that is why I took the day off, huh?
soyforthesoul
Lakewood, CO
(Zone 5a)

April 15, 2005
11:06 PM

Post #1405304

Hi Terry, I love what you did with your bedroom! If you don't mind me asking, what brand of paint / color did you use? I just love that color! You've given me inspiration to update our 70's home!

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

April 15, 2005
11:12 PM

Post #1405322

Don't laugh, okay? It really was called Cafe au Lait...and it came from WalMart. (I've had great luck with WM's flat and semi-gloss paints for bedrooms, bathrooms and hallways.) The trim is Behr's high-gloss white, from Home Depot.

The ceiling was done with one-shade lighter paint; the name was maybe willow-something? (The reason I don't have the name is because they were out of paint chips and I had to guess at the the correct ID number for the guy to mix it up. Yeah, I live a little dangerously ;o)

One shade lighter on the ceiling made a big difference - something about the combination of the old ceiling paint texture, this paint, and the angle of it being overhead made the wall color look hideously dark on the ceiling. But if you don't know they're two different colors, you would never detect they weren't the same.
soyforthesoul
Lakewood, CO
(Zone 5a)

April 15, 2005
11:21 PM

Post #1405341

To be honest I've had great results using WalMart paint. About a year ago, a professional painter told me that it was just as good as other name brands at a fraction of the cost. Your room really did turn out nice and I can't believe you did it for under $500! You should be on the HGTV show 'Design on a Dime'! Thank you!
gardener413
Mt.Pleasant, SC
(Zone 8b)

April 19, 2005
3:30 PM

Post #1412736

Beautiful job Terry, do you mind me asking where you found linens and accesories etc. I did look thru the posts and hope I am not being repetitive in asking. It is very satisfying to set a budget and find what you are looking for. I like a deal as much as anyone. The bedroom really looks like a haven now.

best, ginny

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

April 19, 2005
6:03 PM

Post #1413020

Sure, Ginny!

The comforter set came from Old Time Pottery (a close-out/discount home furnishings chain).

The silk pillows came from JC Penneys (they had a pillow sale so they were half-off.)

The shag area rug, sheer drapes (the valance is attached), drapery rod, wall lamps, and TV stand (a "ready-to-assemble wood and iron piece) came from WalMart.

The calla lilies and bedside tables came from Hobby Lobby (deeply discounted from their original price - it was just pure dumb luck that I walked in that day and found them marked down.)

There are four pieces in the room that aren't new - the bed, the dresser (a hand-me-down from my grandparents); the rattan and iron seat between the closet doors, and the computer desk & chair (although I'm still on the hunt to replace it with a dark wood table-style desk.)

I agree with you about the good feeling of sticking with a budget to get a project done. Yesterday I picked up some "hammered" texture Krylon spray paint to re-do our outdoor table and chairs. (They're the traditional woodland green wrought iron set, but this spray paint will give them a dark bronze-ish look. Then it's off to find reasonably priced outdoor cushions (or make some, if all else fails), repaint the fiberglass planters, get the containers filled with annuals and "transform" the deck ;o)
pebble
Bodrum
Turkey
(Zone 10a)

April 26, 2005
7:13 AM

Post #1427966

Terry, what a great room you have made, I was going to say make over, but since i havent seen the before shots, cant really say...but it is a great room. And you are so good about stiking to a budget!

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

May 4, 2005
10:07 PM

Post #1448389

Terry, I love the "hammered" paint Krylon makes. Be sure to post photos after you use it.
christmascactus

May 27, 2005
4:48 PM

Post #1501386

Terry,I would also would love to see how your outdoor table & chairs turned out with the hammed paint. I have 4 old wrought iron outdoor pieces handed down to me by my parents & they are in great need of repainting & I was wondering what to use. When using the hammed paint,do you still have to prime paint the pieces first before painting with the hammed paint ? By the way-I love your bedroom re-do,you did a great job.I was going to ask you about your wrought-iron chair between the closet & door-I just love it & wanted to get one but I think I read that you inherited it.
christmascactus

June 6, 2005
6:05 PM

Post #1525896

bump
Terry have you used the hammed paint,yet?
If so,would love to see picture.
Thanks.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

June 6, 2005
6:17 PM

Post #1525928

Colie, I can show you what the hammered paint finish looks like. This was a roof turbine (prep stage) I converted to a planter last summer.

Thumbnail by darius

christmascactus

June 6, 2005
6:31 PM

Post #1525978

Thanks Darius-that looks great-I like it.
Wonder how it would do on my old wrought iron yard furniture?
I would love to try it.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

June 6, 2005
7:01 PM

Post #1526049

I did one in a copper color too. Don't have a photo, and it's raining so I'm not going outside to get one either, LOL.

If the iron is smooth it would look great. If it's very porous, not sire how it would show up.

edited for typo

This message was edited Jun 6, 2005 3:02 PM
christmascactus

June 6, 2005
7:14 PM

Post #1526082

I'm going to try & find someone to sand blast these & try from there-it may not work on these.Do you have any other suggestions on what kind of paint to use on them? I think they will have to be prime painted before any other kind of paint is use-to keep them from rusting.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

June 6, 2005
8:13 PM

Post #1526205

It should work on them. My spray can says "Can Apply Directly Over Rust" although I think I'd take a wire brush to it first.

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

June 6, 2005
9:34 PM

Post #1526404

Sorry I didn't see the first question. Short answer - no, I haven't yet used it. (Other gardening and house projects have taken priority to this one.) But soon, I hope! I'll post some photos when I do...
christmascactus

June 8, 2005
6:36 PM

Post #1531581

Darius,that sounds great.
Terry,hope you will get to slow down soon-will look for pictures.
Diane_SWMich
Bloomingdale, MI

June 19, 2005
10:52 PM

Post #1560524

Beautiful!
I am redoing my bedroom. It has maybe cost me $500 as well. I am nearly finished with it, will post pics when I am finished. I may have some before pics also. I was hoping to get it finished this weekend, but nope, couldn't do it.
Di

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

January 7, 2010
8:56 PM

Post #7439165

Just for giggles and grins. Here's the bedroom re-do do-over. (Last March we added a bathroom on, which allowed us to turn the old bathroom into a walk-in closet and eliminate the mirrored closets at the end of the room.

View in 2005: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=1394885

From the same angle today:

Thumbnail by Terry

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

January 7, 2010
8:58 PM

Post #7439170

2nd shot in 2005: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=1394887

Same shot today:

Thumbnail by Terry

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

January 7, 2010
8:59 PM

Post #7439175

3rd shot in 2005: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=1394892 - we were barely able to squeeze a king-size bed on that wall

Here it is now, waiting on a 2nd dresser to be refinished (by yours truly ;o)

Thumbnail by Terry

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

January 7, 2010
9:04 PM

Post #7439189

Not surprisingly, this renovation cost a little more than $500 ;o) But it was much more indepth, involving gutting one bathroom, adding on the space to create a new master bathroom, and then tearing out the closets and re-drywalling floor and ceiling, then re-laying the laminate flooring.

I kept the same paint color (it's one shade lighter) and had the contractor add crown moulding, which really gussied it up a little.

The additional floor and wallspace created by removing the wall of closets has added a tremendous feel of spaciousness to this room. It's still only 11.5 feet wide, and finding a platform bed and window treatments that would work with (instead of fight) those 70s windows took some doing...but we're very pleased with the result. It has become an area we look forward to relaxing in, instead of just a place to sleep.
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

January 7, 2010
10:49 PM

Post #7439481

Oh Wow!
Nice work.

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

January 14, 2010
11:40 PM

Post #7462522

NICE
bsavage
Dolores, CO
(Zone 5b)

January 15, 2010
12:31 AM

Post #7462695

Both re-do's are very nice, Terry! For inexpensive (but pretty) linens, I buy a lot of things from Overstock.com. Cheap (and very fast) shipping, excellent prices. I actually just bought our new bedding from Walmart, also very pretty and an excellent price. We have 5 dogs and 2 cats that all feel compelled to sleep on our bed, so we go through linens rather quickly. I've become downright frugal on linens... I want them to be nice but not crazy expensive. Again, really love the re-do's, Terry!

Brenda
Texasgal77
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 30, 2010
3:28 AM

Post #7510869

Both looked great! I especially like the wall color! Good Job!
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

July 15, 2013
7:19 PM

Post #9600425

LOL, 3 years later. You did good Terry.

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

July 15, 2013
7:34 PM

Post #9600459

LOL, when we moved (in May 2011), I used the same duvet cover and curtains in our new bedroom. Fortunately, I could two more pairs of curtains, as the new bedroom has four windows, instead of one double-window. I finally updated things this spring with a new coverlet.
junaidahmed61
Pakistan

February 3, 2014
11:13 PM

Post #9761886

Terry it's awesome. You did a great job by doing great interior designing.
andi79
milan
Italy

August 16, 2014
11:12 PM

Post #9919846

Terry you did a great job!!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Home Decorating Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Mexican theme, not for the faint of heart MollyMc 57 Jan 4, 2008 3:14 AM
Kitchen Makeover......There's no turning back now!! nminmd 163 Jul 31, 2007 1:21 AM
Removing Wallpaper GrannyLois 30 Aug 18, 2009 11:32 PM
Re-do on the bedroom. What a difference! Badseed 45 Jan 23, 2009 6:43 PM
Baby Nursery...seeking pictures... Tir_Na_Nog 67 Apr 29, 2007 9:40 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America