-
AuthorContent
emilyrasmus
Portland, OR
(Zone 8b)

April 12, 2005
4:28 AM

Post #1397451

Is rhubarb more of a "spring crop" or can it be harvested throughout the summer? Here's a pic of a massive bunch of rhubarb I have growing in the back of my garden. Where it is, it gets sun until at least 5pm.

Thumbnail by emilyrasmus
Click the image for an enlarged view.

TuttiFrutti
Spokane Valley, WA
(Zone 5b)

April 12, 2005
5:54 PM

Post #1398678

Last year, I harvested a portion of our rhubarb every couple of weeks, starting around the first of May, and for about 6 weeks or until the heat started to suppress the plant. With larger and well-established plants, you can harvest for up to 8 weeks, perhaps longer if your summers are cooler than ours. :)

Here's an excerpt about harvesting from a website I happily stumbled upon here on DG:
http://www.rhubarbinfo.com/rhubarb-food.html#TOC39

Donna
MaryE
Baker City, OR
(Zone 5b)

April 13, 2005
8:12 PM

Post #1401049

Rhubarb is one of the earliest crops, but you can keep it going for many weeks. I harvest the older stalks and that keeps the middle growing new ones. Pull the stalk out by grabbing it with both hands close to the plant and pulling in the direction it grows and it will "unplug" from the plant, usually without breaking. Last year I was still harvesting rhubarb in late August. Keeping it well watered is the key. My rhubarb gets a few shovelfulls of manure or compost in the fall after it dies back, this serves as a mulch and then feeds the plant when growth starts. Your summer high temps are consistantly lower than mine so you should get a long harvest.
VGMKY
Louisville, KY

April 16, 2005
3:19 PM

Post #1406578

The Rhubarb Compendium is a collection of rhubarb information from many sources. It contains almost anything you ever wanted to know about Rhubarb. I hope you will enjoy this and book mark it as a favorite.
Gary/Louisville

http://www.rhubarbinfo.com/

This message was edited Apr 16, 2005 11:23 AM
makshi
Noblesville, IN
(Zone 5a)

April 16, 2005
6:01 PM

Post #1406898

Rhubarb pie yum can't wait.
TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX
(Zone 6b)

April 30, 2005
12:02 AM

Post #1436858

I have four plants started, thanks for the great info!
dragonfly53
(Terri )South Boston, VA
(Zone 7a)

March 15, 2007
4:43 PM

Post #3284420

I just received a rhubarb start from gurneys. I was shocked to see it had large patches of green mold on it, was badly shrivelled and had large holes. I posted a picture, can anyone tell me if this thing looks like it will grow? I've always been able to get the actual plants from friends so have never seen anything that looked like this!
TC

Thumbnail by dragonfly53
Click the image for an enlarged view.

MaryE
Baker City, OR
(Zone 5b)

March 15, 2007
5:11 PM

Post #3284511

It looks bad, but it doesn't surprise me since that company does not have a good reputation. I have ordered seeds and plants from them in the past, the seeds were ok, but the plants were either mislabeled or DOA, even the replacement plants they sent were bad, so I just don't do business with them at all anymore. Check the Davesgarden Watchdog for information on mail order companies before you order, you will save a lot of time, trouble and aggravation.
dragonfly53
(Terri )South Boston, VA
(Zone 7a)

March 15, 2007
5:16 PM

Post #3284524

Well, I saw the comments on the Watchdog but I have never had a problem with Gurneys. The other plants in the shipment were fine. The butterfly bush was packaged in it's own little pot with a high side to protect the stems. I would still order from them I just wanted to know if anyone had ever gotten a rhubarb start that looked like that and if it would grow.
Horseshoe
Efland, NC
(Zone 7a)

March 15, 2007
7:06 PM

Post #3284852

dragonfly...if it is not really spongy where the mold is it should be fine. If it is surface mold you can gently rinse it off.
(Course now, when you plant it that will also cut off the air that the mold needs to live so that should stop it from progessing.)

Good luck (I love Rhubarb!)

Shoe
TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX
(Zone 6b)

March 30, 2007
11:38 AM

Post #3336470

i still have one of the rhubarb plants. it makes mostly leaves, whiuch i make a tea from to spray on tomatoes & other plants as a pesticide. the bottle is clearly marked POISON.,
dragonfly53
(Terri )South Boston, VA
(Zone 7a)

June 12, 2007
4:52 PM

Post #3606512

To update my note, the first rhubarb didn't come up so Gurneys sent another which was in the same bad shape. I planted it about a month ago and nothings showing. Sigh! I really wanted the Valentine but Miller Nurseries didn't offer it which is why I purchased from Gurneys.
nancynursez637
Madras, OR

April 4, 2013
8:02 PM

Post #9472278

I harvest my rhubarb all season, and about halfway through I do give it a shot of liquid fertilizer like fish oil. It is growing hard so needs fertilizer. in the fall once it has frozen back, I add compost to the bed and mulch it with straw until spring.

Here is a knock your socks off rhubarb recipe:

This pie recipe was the first place winner for a single crust pie division in Narvon, PA. Was developed by KATIE BELLER

CRUNCHY TOPPED FRENCH-
RHUBARB PIE FILLING:
1 egg
1 cup sugar
1 teas vanilla extract
2 cups chopped fresh rhubarb
2 TBS flour
Topping:
1 c quick cooking oatmeal
1/3 c brown sugar
1/3 c softened butter
1/3 c chopped nuts
tea cinnamon
Mix filling ingredients together
And pour into a unbaked pie shell
Mix topping ingredients together and
Sprinkle over filling
Bake in preheated 400 degree oven for 10 mins
Then lower the temp to 350 for 30 mins or more
until pie is done

Gracye
Warrenton, VA

April 10, 2013
4:48 PM

Post #9479289

You know, I HATE IT when people tell me that they JUST LOVE "Strawberry-Rhubarb Pie." I really enjoy the straight Rhubarb, and consider that any "filler" like strawberries just mucks up that pristine, incredible taste. Are you with me? Of course, my family is from West Virginia, and boy do they know about Rhubarb! Thanks for the recipe - this is my first year of being able to harvest my own Rhubarb so it will come in very handy. But I alos love Rhubarb "stewed" in some Tapioca and sugar and Vanilla on the stove...great over Vanilla Ice Cream!
Uh oh gotta go and check my Rhubarb a'growin' in my garden...!

happytail

happytail
St. Simon's Island, GA
(Zone 9a)

April 10, 2013
5:44 PM

Post #9479347

Amen, Gracye! I want just rhubarb in my rhubarb pie or cobbler!
terri_emory
Alba, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 11, 2013
7:27 AM

Post #9479862

I'm for straight up rhubarb, too. The stewed rhubarb w/tapioca is also a fav. Not sure If I can have a rhubarb patch here in Texas but I'll probably get around to trying once I get the asparagus established. Learing to take things one step at a time...
Gracye
Warrenton, VA

April 25, 2013
2:58 AM

Post #9496359

I have to add something here. It seems that Rhubarb is fairly controversial, concerning actually KNOWING about it and EATING it. You know? Well, a few years ago, I traveled to Germany, where, lo and behold, they not only KNOW about Rhubarb, but they embrace it in alot of their recipes!
You just cannot imagine my delight when I found, in many pastry shops, Rhubarb used in abundance. I honestly believe that I ate my my through Germany!
Yep, Germany is FOR ME! LOL!
I finda feel that knowing and enjoying Rhubarb is almost like having a family secret/skeleton in the closet, as it were...the reaction I often get whenever this subject comes up, and it is not often...!
jomoncon
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 9a)

April 25, 2013
6:19 AM

Post #9496486

I'm in New Orleans, and rhubarb doesn't grow in the south. I see so many tempting recipes for rhubarb and I have one question: What does it taste like?
Jo-Ann
terri_emory
Alba, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 25, 2013
9:42 AM

Post #9496747

Gracye, yup, I could eat my way across Germany too! And my son almost did last year.

happytail

happytail
St. Simon's Island, GA
(Zone 9a)

April 25, 2013
4:55 PM

Post #9497156

It kinda tastes like a tart apple. I love it! But I can see how it might be an acquired taste.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Vegetable Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
very important question farmgirl21 31 Jan 8, 2008 12:31 AM
Need Source For Chinese Vegetable Seed berrygirl 18 Jun 15, 2008 7:21 PM
An accidental lesson Farmerdill 26 Feb 24, 2013 12:10 PM
Planting the "Three sisters" HilltopDaisy 94 Jul 6, 2011 3:38 AM
I need your help with asparagus, please Debsroots 9 May 18, 2009 2:29 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America