AuthorContent

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

April 12, 2005
1:20 PM

Post #1397863

I should have done this first, so my apologies to those who have already posted theirs (feel free to copy and paste your ideas over here.)

Ground rules for posting to this thread

1) Be very clear (but as concise as possible) about what you would like your online journal to do. Think in terms of finishing the following sentence:

"My ideal journal would ______________________________."

2) Post just once to this thread. (Edit your post as often as you'd like, and add as many ideas as you'd like to your post - but if everyone will contain themselves to just one post, it will be much easier to sort through.)

3) Remember this is a wish-list for a new journal format, not questions on "how-to" use the current journal's features. (Those posts are welcome in other threads in this forum ;o)

Ready? Okay, give us your "dream journal" ideas, please!

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

April 12, 2005
1:29 PM

Post #1397885

Here's mine copied and pasted...will add as I think of things

I'm thinking of a thread system and maybe tabs, or even forums that you can assign titles to. Something like General Gardening for a tab, with individual threads for seed starting, greenhouse, veggie garden, yard...want list...etc. Next would come something like Home and Crafts (for me anyway) I would have threads for fabric dyeing, Christmas, cooking,... Maybe a tab for Pets...Wildlife...the threads inside would have information that I would want to share...maybe have a 'private tab' for things that you didn't want to share on the web. Parts could be public and parts could be private...depending on the box checked at the start of the tab/forum.

I like the idea of being able to assign your own headers...lots of folks use their journals for non-gardening topics also.

I know that the programming used to create the existing journal system is awsome, and lots of folks love it...It needs to remain, but have a note that says...'If you need a simpler form of a journal , you might try the EZJournal system..click here to begin'

Someone suggested a 'Move To' button...that would be nice.

Both types of 'journals' have their place...some need the database system for detailed tracking of new hybrids or extensive gardens. Some are just more organized than me.

What I need is an actual 'journal'. I'd like to be able to assign each subject to a section and have the option of several sections. I don't need any sub categories or defaults.The date would automatically be imprinted on the 'thread' just like DG, and I could add and edit within the threads as much as I pleased.

Other than that...the option of making parts private would be nice.

If I wanted to link to the PF..a simple hyperlink that I add is all I need. Much more than this and I feel that the grown up version of the journal is necessary..and I would insert any information that needed a more advanced tracking system over there.

I hope this makes sense...I'd use a thread system quite a bit if it were similar to the way the forums and threads are set up on DG and the other sites that use this system...I can handle that and pretty much can navigate without asking for much help.

This message was edited Apr 12, 2005 8:32 AM
julie88
Muscoda, WI
(Zone 4b)

April 12, 2005
2:29 PM

Post #1398044

I agree, wholeheartedly, with Melody's idea for a "Tab" & "Thread" system. Especially for those of us who need quick access to an area of our personal and private notes.

So, since I'm a notorious 'notekeeper' and have lots of catagories that I'd like to be able to keep organized, my dream journal would be set up on the basis of Notebooks (Catagories) with Sections each with Tabs (Subjects) and "pockets" (this is where I keep scraps of paper notes and pics). My notebooks would be "3-ring" NOT sprial -bound so that I could "move" a section from one notebook to another as it suited me.

The most important thing to me is to be able to keep 'Quick notes' when there is little time to concentrate on where I really want to put a note until I have the time to 'think' about organizing.

I suppose that's my dream in a nutshell...but I'd also like to have links to pertinent "How-to" threads of my choosing, and the ability to put in links to vendor sites that I need quickly.

Thanks for the opportunity to 'dream' in DG!

~julie~
langbr
Olathe, KS
(Zone 6a)

April 12, 2005
3:07 PM

Post #1398331

I've copied the following from my separate thread in this forum per Terry's request. (I've also added to it. :-D )

Journal Wish #1
My first wish is that I'd like to be able to add a plant to my journal from the PlantFiles. It just seems to me that I'm always making an error in spelling and it takes quite a bit of time to look up all the data I need to make a Journal entry. If I could navigate to the PF listing of say Lilium 'Kiss Me Kate' and just click on "Add to My Journal" that would be fantastic! It would then ask you to select which Journal (if you have multiple journals) and then ask which Category you want to add this new plant. Once those were selected it would take you to a Journal entry page and allow you to put in the remaining fields if desired.

Journal Wish #2
When you navigate to a specific Category listing you can either "Prepare the items on this page for printing." or "Add a new item under this category". When you select the Printing option you get this WONDERFUL listing of the category entries INCLUDING the individual entries under each Journal item. I LOVE THIS! However, when I navigate to view a specific journal plant entry I get (among the many other options) the ability to "Print this item (with images)." AND "Print this item (without images)."

I would really, really like to have those options also display/print out the specific sub entries under that plant. Right now if you select either of those print options at a plant specific level you see the Initial Notes on the plant and then at the bottom, " There are 3 entries for this item." You don't get to see the specifics of the 3 entries! When you look by Category at ALL the plants in a category and then ask to Print it you get all the specifics and not " There are 3 entries for this item."

Journal Wish #3
When you are viewing a specific plant entry and select "Print this item (with images)." You don't get the actual pictures. Basically "Print this item (with images)." and "Print this item (without images)." gives you the exact same thing!

Journal Wish #4
I wish DG could be my ONLY personal garden database. Right now I keep all the info in my DG journal but then have to create a separate plant database on my computer to use with my label printer to generate permanent plant marker labels. (I use a Brother P-Touch PT-2610). The software that came with my Brother printer includes a database and it will allow you to import data. It would be GREAT if I could export my DG Journal data as a .csv file and then use it with my label printer.

Journal Wish #5
When you set up a Journal Item there are Initial Comments. You also put in a start date. I'd like it if when you View your entire entry that it displays that Start Date when viewing all the entries for that item. All the subsequent entries after the Initial one have their dates displayed. Would be nice to have the start date also shown.

Journal Wish #6
Allow To Do Items to be created that arenít tied to a specific Journal Item. The reason is that sometimes my To Do item has more to do with general garden maintenance or an entire flower bed and not a single plant in my Journal.

Journal Wish #7
Currently you can click on the column headings in the View Category listing, but I'd like for it to sort both Ascending to Descending AND Descending to Ascending. Sometimes I want to see my list of NEWEST journal items and if I could click twice on the Begin Date heading then I'd be able to work the list "backwards".

Journal Wish #8
It would be great to be able to add a photo to an entry after the entery has been created while in the Edit Entry mode.

Journal Wish #9
Is it possible to be able to drill down to specific data using filters? I'd like to be able to see say all of the Journal Items I have with a status of "Hardened Off". Once I have that listing displayed I'd like to be able to then narrow it down to just "Daylilies" (which is a category I have.

Edited to add #7

This message was edited Apr 13, 2005 9:51 PM

Edited to add #8 and #9

This message was edited Apr 19, 2005 5:18 PM
KaperC
No. San Diego Co., CA
(Zone 10b)

April 12, 2005
3:38 PM

Post #1398399

Add plants from PlantFiles

What I would *really* like is some way to input off line, because when the server gets slow and/or my dial-up connection is slow, it's just too laborious. I end up not using it purely for that reason. (I'd pay extra!)

Also, a way to search for genus, family, etc. -- sometimes I just don't know and it's not on the tag or packet. It would be a learning tool.

And I agree, it's not easy enough to enter something, even if you don't fill in every blank. The 'add item' and 'add entry' thing confuses me every time. On the Main Page, can we just have a "new entry" button, then choose what kind it will be from a menu?

I would also like .csv or other format to keep my info in a spreadsheet on my pc -- since off-line entry is a pipe dream!

The notebook and thread ideas above sound very good. I like the idea of tabs, too.

New request Can we have a 'return to main page' button on each page? Could be just an icon, too. I often end up somewhere I didn't intend to be, then have to backtrack to start over. If there is a way to do this now, somebody please let me know! OOOPS - I guess the 'Your Journal' button does that! Duh...

This message was edited Apr 24, 2005 11:43 AM

This message was edited Apr 24, 2005 11:48 AM
dstartz
Deep South Texas, TX
(Zone 9a)

April 12, 2005
5:13 PM

Post #1398598

Journal Wish #1 - See langbr's Journal Wish #1!

Journal Wish #2 - I'd love to have the common name of the plant listing in my journal made into a hyperlink connecting it to its counterpart in the PlantFiles. At http://davesgarden.com/journal/j/vbc/dstartz/27353/ I made a link of the first entry. But to go back and edit that page I have to redo the whole first line. It would WONDERFUL if the link were automatic.

Journal Wish #3 - A blog-like area for notes that don't follow the present DG journal format. For an example see the blog I'm keeping at http://gardeningonrosedr.blogspot.com/ . (I wish it were part of my DG journal.)

Journal Wish #4 - To be able to split an entry and put it under multiple headings. I do a lot of propagating and would like to keep my entries under the date they were done. But when the plant takes root, etc. I'm forced to move it to another area or leave it where it started. Unfortunately that doesn't work as well for me as I would really like.
oceangirl
Cape Cod, MA
(Zone 7a)

April 12, 2005
10:35 PM

Post #1399195

I have been giving this a lot of thought. I will be sure to add more ideas as they come to me.

My ideal journal would interact more easily with plant files.
I would be able to add a plant from the files directly to my journal, and vice versa, so if a plant in my journal was not in plantfiles I could add it easily.

I would be able to access plants by location, so I could choose a garden bed and see all the plants in it.

My categories and statuses would be common to every journal.

I could add pictures to milestones. Now I have to enter a milestone, and then add an entry for a picture to show first flowers, fruits, buds, etc.

I like the idea of a "blog," which is being discussed on another thread.

I could add links to seed databases, vendors, threads etc.

I could track seedlings rather than just move them into a different catagory. If the same plant could be duplicated (not cloned, as when there is more than one plant) and put in multiple categories:
i.e. a viburnum could be listed in ornamental shrubs but also in Wildlife Garden. I like the cloning feature but this would take it a step further.

Edited to add:
I would love a calendar I could make entries in, a gardener's calendar geared to my zone. It would have the usual holidays, but also moon phases, equinoxes and solstices, first and last frost dates, and appropriatley timed gardening jobs- with things that can be carried forward from one year to the next.

It would be cool to have a collage capability (with the ability to comment) to put the pics of plants in one
location/various seasons together to see how they look next to each other- this would be a great tool for planning also. I have a paper journal where I do this with cut up plant catalogs, and it really gives me a good idea of what something is going to look like. Just daydreaming now, but that's what I'm here for!

This message was edited Apr 15, 2005 7:08 PM

This message was edited Apr 15, 2005 7:17 PM
robinz
PNW, WA
(Zone 8a)

April 13, 2005
5:12 AM

Post #1399948

I haven't updated mine in a while but as I recall the one thing I would have liked was to be able to sort the entries anyway I want.

Thanks

Robinz

DreamOfSpring

DreamOfSpring
Charleston, SC
(Zone 9a)

April 13, 2005
1:08 PM

Post #1400306

Dave's Garden is an incredible site; the mere fact that you asked this question, is one of the reasons.

SORTING: More sorting options. Here are some of the ones that I have needed/wanted:

Vendor - I track full life-cycle purchase to grave, including Vendor name.I'd like to be able to sort on this
Date of order - This would make it easier to see what hasn't arrived/is overdue
Order Status - same as above
Color - I have 35 Asiatic Lilies, if I'm looking for a red one and don't know the name, it would be helpful to have a color field and to be able to sort on it
Location - I'm a very "visual" person. Frequently, I'd like to see what is planted in a particular location,bed,section.
This is my biggest wish. more on this below.

VISUAL LAYOUT OF BEDS: (In the following, current view and existing view will indicate the journal pages which are currently available.) The ability to organize and view my garden "layout" both as a whole and by bed or section.This would be a seperate page or view from the existing one. Plants could be depicted by either symbol or (better) small thumbnail. Best case, drag & drop from current view to beds or sections (or otherwise assign w/out having to retype).Should be able to move them around within this view both to tryout ideas before planting and to handle actual relocations. Dbl clicking on symbol or thumb w/in this view would take you back to the item w/in the current view. The bed or section should be tied to the "Location" entry in current view. ("Current" view refers to the existing journal pages.)

If this is too aggressive an idea, I would find it helpful if I had ANY option to group and view my items by their location. Currently I can indicate location but cannot sort accordingly. .

LOCATION: I would like for this to behave the way status currently does so that I could assign "names" to my beds or to sections of my garden and then reuse those names from a drop-down menu. That way my locations would be consistent which would aid in sorting (another of my wishes).

MOVING ITEMS AROUND: Drag and drop between journals, catagories, etc would be awesome. If that's too much, I'd like a way to move an entire sub catagory to a different location. (If this exists, I've not found it.)

SEARCHING: The fact that I can search within my journal is very helpful. At present, the search feature appears to search on the Common Name, Cultivar, and Location (at least). I like this as the default behavior for the search function but would like to have the option to control/alther this behavior (i.e., search only on Common Name - because sometimes a word in my Location column yields pages of unwanted results; search on Vendor, Date, Comments).

This is a big one for me. I would like to be able to search within a catagory (only). Sometimes I like the fact that no matter where I am in my journal a search brings up all matching items within my journal; however, there are also times when I would like to be able to limit the search by catagory, journal, etc. Example: if I have an Iris whose name I can't recall except that I know it includes the word "Rose", I'd like to be able to search the Iris catagory (only) for it; otherwise, my search will return the 100's of roses listed elsewhere in my journal.

MISC:

When I click on a table header to sort by that column, I would like for that sorting criteria to remain my new default until I change it - if not forever, then maybe for the current session or even for the current page.

Because I track items from time of purchase, I would like a column for Vendor with the option to sort and search on this column. Not sure how popular this would be with others though. Using the journal in this manner (from purchase) has greatly simplified the task of tracking my orders, esp backorder. I would like to be able to recall all outstanding orders for Vendor x.

Currently, I can perform group functions for "Change Status", "Change Catagory", and "Add an Entry", all of which are very helpful. I would like to be able to do group functions on milestones, as well. For instance, I have a "Received" milestone and would like to be able to select all items in the shipment and mark them as Received as a group.

Sometimes a "Select All" with the ability to uncheck the few I don't want in the group would be helpful, as would the use of Shift-Select to Select a bunch of items at once.

Edited to add something to SEARCHING. Getting close to the end, I think. Thank you very much for asking. Sheryl

This message was edited Apr 14, 2005 4:19 PM

This message was edited Apr 19, 2005 2:04 AM

This message was edited May 6, 2005 4:46 PM
sadie_mae
Central, KY
(Zone 6b)

April 13, 2005
3:02 PM

Post #1400488

I also like langbr's Journal Wish #1.

I like Melody's "thread system" idea as well.
I keep a spiral notebook and write every day about different observations of plants, the weather, etc. I also have sections for things I am propagating, seeds I am starting, ideas about different things I want to try the next year, etc. With a thread system, I could access my info from work without having to carry around the notebook or without having to keep up with "ideas" that pop into my head which then get jotted down on scraps of paper or post-it notes!

I also like and use the journal as it is set up now, so would like to have both options : )

Vicki
dovey
Columbus, OH
(Zone 5b)

April 13, 2005
10:02 PM

Post #1401245

I wish the Garden Journal was a little easier to work with.

Anything where you have to have two windows open to complete, 1 for the journal and 1 for instruction on how to make an entry, is way over the head of the standard user.

Perhaps along with the advanced mode, offering a simple mode would help those who want to keep a journal but don't want to spend hours trying to figure out how to do it.

Also, by the time I'm ready to update I have to reread the instructions all over again. I think that's why most people don't keep a journal or don't keep it current.

Simple mode:
1 - I don't need a space for the Family - Genus - Species - ETC.
2 - All I need is something simple like the forums:
3 - Let me name the catagory and give me a space where I can write what I did, post a photo and add a date.
4 - Allow me to post updates and new photos to that catagory as they happen and as I progress.

Quick and easy.

Cheers
Dovey
langbr
Olathe, KS
(Zone 6a)

April 14, 2005
2:51 AM

Post #1401888

Edited my post above to add Wish #7. :-D
jenw
Fletcher, NC
(Zone 7a)

April 14, 2005
10:37 AM

Post #1402183

hi dave, thanks for giving us all the chance to give ideas for the journal. i would love to be able to put several pictures for a single entry in my journal, instead of having to post several entries just to include all of the pictures i want to be able to look at for my own reference later. maybe you will consider this when redesigning the new journal format. Thanks, Jennifer of NC
kdjoergensen
Waxhaw (Charlotte), NC
(Zone 7b)

April 14, 2005
8:57 PM

Post #1403264

Journal wishlist 1
Ability to upload trade sheets from excel sheets (you tell us the format that the excess sheet should be in)

Journal wishlist 2
Easier way to list items than moving back/forth through hieracial menus (too cumbersome). As minimum add more "back" buttons or "bread crum" trail links to navigate. But I really hope for another system than the current.

Journal wishlist 3
A "counter" button you can increase / decrease. If you have 8 items to trade, it would be nice with a +/- button to quickly increase/descrease available amount as trades go through

Journal wishlist 4
An easy way to sort lists, e.g. we can click on thread lists in forums/gwd to search by company, thread starter, date, etc. Why can't we have the same with tradelists. When lists are shown, sort by category, name, date, etc
Nmsd
Barrington, IL
(Zone 5a)

April 14, 2005
10:05 PM

Post #1403382

Hi Dave,
I am a very new user of the journal (just started in March), but I chose your site because I was going to design my own garden journal database, did some searching, and found yours "ready-made." Thanks. I've read through the suggestions so far and would add my vote to:

1)More streamlined navigation for entering new info,

2) being able to upload from the Plant File to the journal would be fantastic,

3)being able to sort by location (treated like a category or status) would be very useful, and

4) I have not explored the "To Do" section, but I need a place to put down my ideas for next year's garden.

For instance, as I am looking at the spring bulbs I want to be able to remind myself to plant more Winter Aconites in the hillside garden in the fall .
jasonc
Parrish, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 15, 2005
1:02 AM

Post #1403686

As a new user to DG and a new user of the journal I found it weird that you couldn't use an image you already put into Plantfiles or if you upload a picture into your journal, you couldn't add it to tha common named plant in Plantfiles. Would make life easier and would cut down on DG having so many images put in twice.

Another feature that would be cool would be to redo the way the entries are made in the journal so you could do a history of a plant. Like I was going to take a picture of my plant a week in to being planted, then when it sets fruit and then whenever after that. Pretty much a history of the plant so next year I can go back and use the journal to see which tomatoes or any plants I want to plant next year based on my journal. I always thought that would be really cool and right now the journal is WAY TOO limited to do that and have it look good...
Zonker_Dog
Oklahoma City, OK
(Zone 7a)

April 15, 2005
1:46 AM

Post #1403783

I just appreciate the free on-line journal you provide. Any improvements and simplications are greatly appreciationed!
hgurule
Summerville, SC
(Zone 8a)

April 15, 2005
2:42 PM

Post #1404565

My ideal journal would have a tab that I can click on to make general, daily journal entries. For Example:

Friday, April 14th - High of 68, Low of 44, Humidity 20%. Today my first 'Angel Face' Rose Bloomed, and my purple bearded iris bloom is going on its 4th day strong. The hostas have grown to a medium size, and most of the trees have leaves with the exception of the smaller tree in the front yard (unknown identity). The honeysuckle vine has put on its first blooms, and I am excited to see that they are red! I also just found out that I have two different kinds of spiderwart growing in my garden...one with purple flowers and the other with fushia flowers. Though I have weeded out most of my weeds, the johnny jump ups continue to be a problem.

Saturday, April 15th - High of 70, Low of 46, Humidity 30%. Today I noticed that some more winter jasmine have rooted in my garden (by layering). There are a total of 4 rooted at the moment. Several of my rose bushes have rose buds which should be opened by the end of next week. The english ivy on my oak tree is almost dead now, and I have to find a way to remove the vine from my tree. The privacy fence is starting to rot at the bottom and will need replacement within the next couple of years. The clear blue sky has made it easy to work out in the yard today and see many things that are going on in the garden. The screened porch is in need of a fresh coat of paint, and the siding could use some cleaning. The garden paths need additional filling between the rocks, and the grass needs to be fertilized.

Thanks!
barbur
Port Lavaca, TX
(Zone 9a)

April 16, 2005
6:51 AM

Post #1406126

Thanks for asking for our input. I'lI add wishes as I think of them.
1. I'd like to add plants to my journal from the PlantFiles AND have a hyperlink from my journal to the PlantFiles (like dstartz example). Then if I'm having problems with a plant or need more info its easy to get to the plant.
2. I'd like for one of the options to be able to see all my entries for the whole journal by date. It would take the place of a separate daily journal. I like to look back at past years and see when I did things.

I'm adding some ideas that have already been mentioned so you'll have an idea of how many of us want the changes.
3. An easier way to get around in my journal, like the threads and tabs.
4. Part of the journal private and part shared.
5. Ability to work off line. And not tie up my phone line.
6. Have the journal searchable.
7. Be able to put in general entries. ("I applied fertilizer to the raised bed today.")
The more I think about it, the more I would like to make individual entries and general entries. That could look like a daily journal if I wanted it to (by arranging it by date as an option).
8. "Access all items" would have a column for category.This message was edited Apr 29, 2005 10:27 PM

This message was edited May 2, 2005 1:01 AM

This message was edited Jun 3, 2005 8:37 PM
jnn
Chapel Hill, NC
(Zone 7b)

April 16, 2005
3:19 PM

Post #1406579

It'd be nice to have an easier way to update the status field. Right now I have to go into each plant's original file to update the status. As it is a status, I would like to track when it was one thing and when the status changed to another category. For example, I use the statuses of: just planted, now blooming, finished blooming, etc.

Just an idea...
greenmum
Abbotsford, BC
(Zone 8a)

April 16, 2005
6:09 PM

Post #1406911

Well, to start off I must say ... WOW ... you guys truly are amazing. You definitely go that extra mile! : ) And just in case you haven't noticed by the feedback, it is immensely appreciated.
Getting down to what you want to know, many ideas that others have are what I also would like to see.
- Melody's idea of "tabs" and "threads" would work for me as would the "private tab"
- Julie88's dream journal is basically what my hand-kept journal is like. I too would like to see links allowed that are needed or wanted, "How-to's" and links to vendors and such
- Langbr's idea of linkage to PlantFiles would be great. I get so confused as to what is Genus and what is Species that most of the time I just guess and try to keep that guess consistent. kaperc expanded on that a bit i think.
- dstartz "blog" area is wonderful!!!! This would be very useful indeed.
- oceangirl came up with the idea of an all-inclusive gardening calendar with moon phases, solstices, frost dates, etc. Absolutely awesome. Also like the idea of being able to add pictures to milestones. To expand, perhaps adding pictures to whatever area we choose would be good. She also voiced the idea of a collage capability -- seeing before and after pics.

I have a couple of ideas to add...
1) A drawing program that allows one to draw the basic shape of one's garden bed and "place" plants where you think they should go so that you could get an idea of what your garden will look like. Preferrably this would all be to scale to get a more accurate picture. Being able to input pictures of the plants would be very helpful; but as this is extremely complicated, I would "settle" for plant shapes that could be coloured. ;) I don't know about anyone else, but this would be useful for people like my husband and I who are re-landscaping our yard (slowly but surely) and have a communication problem. To clarify that, he understands pictures but more often than not does not understand the words coming out of my mouth. heehee [those are his words, by the way :)]
2) Another idea I had was the capability to archive last year's journal and start fresh for the new year. It would, however, be imperative that these archives were easily accessibly and that the information contained in them could be copied or brought up into the current journal.

That's all I've got for now. I will, of course, add to this as I think of anything. Just so long as someone else doesn't log it first, that is! Would hate to overload you more than you already are.

Thanks again. Can't express the gratitude. You really are the best!!
Greenmum

I just thought of something else. A few people, including myself, have expressed an interest in having a link set up to vendors, etc. What might be useful is to have this somehow linked into GardenWatchdog. This may be a help to those who are trying out new vendors and such. I didn't really have time to think this through, but if you can use it, it's yours.
Cheers.
Greenmum (again)

This message was edited Apr 16, 2005 10:15 AM

Just reading over the entries above mine and I discovered that scutler had an idea about garden layouts that was very similar to what I had in mind. Sorry about that. By the way, the rest of scutler's ideas were great also...especially the sorting ones.
Thanks again!! Still amazes me how great you guys are!

This message was edited Apr 19, 2005 9:22 AM
angele

April 18, 2005
3:42 AM

Post #1410034

after reading in another thread discovered my request was already in the works.

This message was edited Apr 17, 2005 9:57 PM
Joan
Belfield, ND
(Zone 4a)

April 18, 2005
6:09 AM

Post #1410181

I have been working on my jounal all night, trying to get it set up and updated for this year, and I'm thinking that the ability to have a master journal with all the catagories set up, and the ability to clone it to a "year" journal would be wonderful and time saving. Especially for veggie gardeners that would like to save their yearly journal for future reference, but not have to set up another one from scratch all over again for the next year.

Mass moving from journal to journal. This would be great too, and maybe somewhat the same as above. Ease in moving things is the reason my journals got so far outdated when we moved from the trailer to the house. Only about 100 foot move, but I moved all the plants in one year. I got behind because it was more time consuming to move the plants in the journal than in the garden.
langbr
Olathe, KS
(Zone 6a)

April 18, 2005
6:36 PM

Post #1411081

Joan - just a thought. Could you make a Status for each year and then change the status of all the veggie items in your Journal to the previous year then you can start new entries using your normal Statuses. Here's what I'm kind of thinking...

Create a new Status called "2004". Go to your veggie categories and select "Tomatoes" (or whatever you have them as) and do a Mass Change using the checkbox and the 'Change Status' button at the bottom of the listing. Change the Status to "2004" and then when you want to look at something from last year just click on the Access by Status option on your Journal Home page to select "2004". Also if you keep this years entries in the same category (Tomatoes or whatever it is) then you'll be able to see each years tomato entries with the Status indicating the year they were grown.

Just a thought. It would prevent you from having to delete entries, or create a new Journal and enter all that data again or move it.
misskaffee
SmallTown, GA
(Zone 7b)

April 19, 2005
3:36 AM

Post #1412165

Hi Dave!!
Thanks for aksing opinions on the journals! Personally, I love the concept. A place to keep notes on everything I do wrong (and sometimes right!) in my gardening. I'm pretty new at gardening altogether and have a lot to learn. Journaling will be a huge help! - the option to keep them open and searchable is just icing on the cake.
My only suggestion is that the journals be kept as simple as possible, and remain focused on the initial intent. It does not need to be complicated with unnecessary functionalities that most users won't need or use. Just a free-flow, searchable, open diary-style journal. I am looking forward to watching how things develop. :)
-Kathy

wendiex
Niles, MI

April 19, 2005
4:36 PM

Post #1412835

Maybe I haven't worked with Dave's Journal long enough, but I didn't see where a category for "Germination Date" was available for the seeds being planted. That would be helpful for me.
langbr
Olathe, KS
(Zone 6a)

April 19, 2005
5:27 PM

Post #1412951

Wendiex - you can create categories and milestones using whatever label you like. I created a Milestone called "Germination" and that's how I track my seedlings.
langbr
Olathe, KS
(Zone 6a)

April 19, 2005
10:19 PM

Post #1413647

I edited my post above to include Wish List items 8 & 9, Oh MY!
spklatt
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

April 24, 2005
7:45 PM

Post #1424441

I, too, would like to have an option in each PF entry, to add that item to my journal. Often when I get a new plant, my first stop is PF, to find out how to take care of it. Then, I have to go to my journal and enter the info. Would be great to have them cross-linked somehow.

Shannon
spectrum

(Zone 2b)

April 25, 2005
3:14 AM

Post #1425367

A calendar view would be nice - so that one could look at the current week or month and see at a glance what needs to be done and has already been done.
langbr
Olathe, KS
(Zone 6a)

April 25, 2005
4:15 AM

Post #1425474

Oooooohhhh...good one, spectrum!
KaperC
No. San Diego Co., CA
(Zone 10b)

April 25, 2005
4:28 AM

Post #1425495

Ditto!
naturepatch
Morris, IL
(Zone 5b)

April 28, 2005
4:17 AM

Post #1432873

My first request is to have a much larger photo when you print out a page on a specific plant. That way you can send someone a page with info and a viewable photo so they can properly id the plant if you send more than one. Or, if you are a sucker for punishment, print out your own hardcopy. :)

I would also like to be able to export my garden journal. After you spend hours upon hours creating one, it would be nice to be able to export parts of it.

It would also be nice to be able to export a plant, it's info and photo to your tradelist straight from your journal. It would make life much easier.

Hope this helps.

Naturepatch
langbr
Olathe, KS
(Zone 6a)

April 28, 2005
5:00 AM

Post #1432938

Naturepatch - you can now copy Journal items to your Trade List. I think Dave put that in last fall or late last summer. To access that feature you must be VIEWING a Journal Entry and below the hyperlinked text that is for Adding an Entry and Clone an Entry and all the other options there is one in there for Copy to your Trade List.

Thumbnail by langbr
Click the image for an enlarged view.

ptomczyk

(Zone 5b)

April 30, 2005
11:05 PM

Post #1438840

would like it to be more user friendly. Am having difficulty getting my catagories and sub catagories to line up the way i want them.
AnniesWeePlot
Pennsauken, NJ
(Zone 6b)

June 3, 2005
10:41 PM

Post #1519819

Hiya,

I would like to be able to personalize my journal as I do for my home page, i.e.; moving columns around so that I didn't have to scroll so far down the page to find my categories. Alternately, move 'Access by Category' to the top of the page with Main Menu to either the Left or the Right of this.

Being able to auto-place items to/from PlantFile would be an incredibly useful and timesaving tool.

I'd like to be able to sort any way I wish. When I first started using the journal this confused me and I thought, "mine's broken... :o(" when trying to sort in the funky ways my mind works. Then I realized, "oh, guess ya can't do that... but why not? :oP "

I would like to be able to "select" [radio box] any number of plants within a category, which tags them all, and allows me to make a broadcast "note" or "update" to them, i.e.; "Established", "Fertilized", "Pollinated", "Note to do X,Y,Z, etc... A date would be automatically generated with the broadcast entry to all selected plants.

Many suggestions above (I didn't read all, I admit) were wonderful and very clever.
[edit: I hit the send box by accident...]
As I was saying...

Some of the ideas above I would enjoy to the fullest...

The "select all" suggestion
Tabs
PF hyperlink
Exporting items to CSV file would ROCK
Filters
Calendar - incredible suggestion!
Searching within categories

Annie

This message was edited Jun 3, 2005 6:54 PM

ADDITIONAL ENTRY

Thank you scutler! I just tried it out.

And because of that experiment... another couple suggestions...

1) I'd like to make a 2nd request for the 'select all' feature! LOLOL

2) The ability to have the sort function 'stick' when selecting the option to print items, i.e.; I'd like to be able to print by Genus, Location, Species, etc.

This message was edited Jun 4, 2005 8:56 AM

DreamOfSpring

DreamOfSpring
Charleston, SC
(Zone 9a)

June 4, 2005
12:40 AM

Post #1520040

This is not a wish list item, but a response to Annie's entry. (Hope this does not violate GR #3).

Annie, If I understand your 4th request correctly [and if not please disregard my ramblings : ) ], I believe that is already available. You can select items by checking the box on the left and then "broadcast" either an entry, status change, or catagory change to all of them by selecting the appropriate "tab" at the bottom of the table. I find this feature very helpful; however, I wish that I could also "broadcast" milestones in this manner.
barbur
Port Lavaca, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 4, 2005
1:41 AM

Post #1520204

Dave, I added #8 to my list. There hasn't beem much activity on this thread I didn't know if its finished. I'm enjoying my diary and writing in it has prompted me to enter more in the journal too. Thanks for catering to us.:^)
AnniesWeePlot
Pennsauken, NJ
(Zone 6b)

June 4, 2005
12:57 PM

Post #1521049

I made a couple additions...
AnniesWeePlot
Pennsauken, NJ
(Zone 6b)

June 5, 2005
1:18 PM

Post #1522988

Thank you for the new Sorting!! :oD
Melissa_Ohio
Southwestern, OH
(Zone 6b)

June 11, 2005
8:07 PM

Post #1539543

If I could add entries directly from the Plant Files to my journal, I'd be more inclined to work on the Journal. Besides, if a plant isn't in the plant files, maybe it would encourage some to add it to the plant files?

So, add me to the list of others above who would like to add to my journal from the plantfiles, or Langbrs wish #1.
Clover1
Hercules, CA
(Zone 10a)

December 27, 2005
2:07 AM

Post #1940634

I just thought of something I would like today, as I'm planning for my 2006 vegetable garden.

My ideal journal would have the feature where I could copy an item from one journal into a new or different journal. For example, I would like to copy my artichoke entry from my 2005 vegetable garden journal into my new 2006 vegetable garden journal.

DreamOfSpring

DreamOfSpring
Charleston, SC
(Zone 9a)

December 28, 2005
1:29 AM

Post #1941886

Hi Clover1,

I think you can accomplish that if you (1) clone the item and then (2) move the clone to other journal.

palmbob

palmbob
Acton, CA
(Zone 8b)

January 28, 2006
3:01 PM

Post #2006303

My ideal journal would allow me to post a photo on the far left of each entry... for example, if I have an entry for a certain plant, I can choose a photo (thumbnail) in the row of that entry... would vastly help me to not only find things, but appreciate them more.

DreamOfSpring

DreamOfSpring
Charleston, SC
(Zone 9a)

January 29, 2006
12:11 AM

Post #2007310

Sign me up for that wish, please. ; )
winging
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

June 5, 2006
2:22 AM

Post #2352835

I'd love to be able to download/synch my journal to my palm pda so that when I'm outside I can access the info.

DreamOfSpring

DreamOfSpring
Charleston, SC
(Zone 9a)

June 5, 2006
4:10 AM

Post #2353505

I know this isn't quite as convenient, but sometimes I take my wireless laptop out to the garden. It worked really well when I took inventory to add all of my existing items to my journal at startup.
winging
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

June 5, 2006
10:45 PM

Post #2355783

That's a good suggestion, however, I'm still in the dark ages with no laptop and dial-up connection.
Sigh

Someday...

:)
bbrookrd
Nantucket, MA
(Zone 7a)

July 13, 2006
10:24 PM

Post #2502538

I would love to be able to do a mass edit of selected entries. This would allow me to take a group of plants that have the same location and only do one edit. I am doing a list of 20+ hosta that are all being planted together in the same bed, so it would save me all those location edits. Or if I wanted to make new entries of a group of cultivars I was adding to my garden (IE:Japanese Iris), I could then go back and do a mass edit to give them all the same genus rather doing each entry. And if they were being planted together I could do just one more mass edit to give them all the same bed location. This would make adding groups of similar plants very quick. (helpful for those hosta, daylily, lily and iris-oholics) Thanks, Patti
echoes
South of Winnipeg, MB
(Zone 3a)

August 11, 2006
4:59 PM

Post #2611285

Looking back, so many of these wants have been given to us. The addition of the diary fulfilled a lot of requests. I still have issues with the privacy thing in my journal though. I'm not talking about whether or not some parts could be private and some not, although that would still be nice. Maybe some journals switched and some not, as we can make any number of journals besides the default. Not the issue of whether members or subscribers could view. I'm just a little hung up on my journal being open to the whole www. Would rather have a choice to just let members and subscribers view my journal. I know the other side of the argument about there being no privacy on the Internet, but still, this is what I would wish. Other than that, I love the features and ease of use, and say thank you, Dave. I appreciate it.
AnniesWeePlot
Pennsauken, NJ
(Zone 6b)

August 11, 2006
6:39 PM

Post #2611592

Hello Again,

I would like the Journal and Diary to have the most recent posts at the top, rather than the bottom.
A small graphic at the top could easily state that is how the threads run. Not sure if it's possible though since all other sections in DG run in reverse, but it's worth a mention.

Thank you again for so many upgrades!

Take Care,
Annie
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

August 11, 2006
6:47 PM

Post #2611621

I think it used to be that way and was changed by popular request to be chronological, so that the diary told the story in the order in which it happened, rather than having to go through backwards. I'd rather keep it how it is.
AnniesWeePlot
Pennsauken, NJ
(Zone 6b)

August 11, 2006
7:19 PM

Post #2611707

A compromise... How about a viewer having an option as to how to view it?
winging
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

August 20, 2006
7:24 AM

Post #2640536

I've been creating TODO items set for much later in the season or even next spring in an attempt to create a garden calendar/plan for myself. I'd love it if my TODO items which are upcoming for the week could be emailed to me as a reminder. Or integrated into a calendar feature.
echoes
South of Winnipeg, MB
(Zone 3a)

October 19, 2006
6:06 PM

Post #2832237

Hi Dave. Would it be possible to have another choice of openess with our journals. Possibly open just to subscribers, open to the world, or closed? Thanking you in advance for your consideration.

echoes
bbrookrd
Nantucket, MA
(Zone 7a)

October 20, 2006
8:36 PM

Post #2835810

1. I want to be able to clone an entire existing Journal and move it to a new Journal. I want to have the contents placed in one main journal so I can disperse them to different categories and subcategories.
2. I would like to be able to print by sort order of choice (not always by common name) such as by location or genus. The common name default in printing is the least helpful sort order for finding entries on a printed list. Patti
tabasco
Cincinnati (Anderson, OH
(Zone 6a)

October 27, 2006
12:23 PM

Post #2855097

This is a suggestion for the Diary:

I would like the Tab List on the diary page that opens on the "View Others' Diaries" link to be arranged in the same order as the Tab List that shows on the page when you "Manage Your Diary".

I know Dave fixed it so that we can arrange the Tab List on the 'Manage' page to our liking. I think it would be nice if the other page corresponded. (I mentioned this on another thread, and if you already took note of that, I apologize for the redundant request!)

I'm having fun with the Diary, and thanks again for that feature, Terry and Dave!

bbrookrd
Nantucket, MA
(Zone 7a)

October 27, 2006
1:09 PM

Post #2855197

I have now figured out how to do # 2 on my list, so I have but one request for the wish list now. Patti
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

October 27, 2006
3:27 PM

Post #2855650

Patti, I still think request #2 should stick around--you don't get the same info printed when you do it from the screen rather than from the print function, so I think it would be nice to have the option to sort how you want in the print function too.
bbrookrd
Nantucket, MA
(Zone 7a)

October 27, 2006
7:16 PM

Post #2856339

ecrane3, You are so correct, but I was so pleased to have the function to print via location or genus plus having the pictures printed, I forgot the bigger picture and the lack of information. But this feature was hugely helpful while planting all my bulbs by beds with the pictures attached to the printout. I laid them out and my DH drilled the holes and I filled behind him. It went so quickly. Hopefully it will bloom as nice as it looked on paper! I bit the bullet and started a parallel journal by bed. It is proving confusing at the moment. But as I started with the new bulbs, I will clone away with the previously entered plants one by one from my main Journal as the winter comes. I couldn't figure out any other way to have all the information I wanted. Patti

DreamOfSpring

DreamOfSpring
Charleston, SC
(Zone 9a)

November 1, 2006
11:56 PM

Post #2873450

I like the feature that allows you to perform the same step on multiple items by checking their boxes and then choosing from the menu items at the bottom of the page: Change Status, Change Catagory. Now if you added a few more menu options to that: Check/Uncheck All, Copy to Catagory. The latter would let you copy a large section of items to the new journal all at once, among other things.

Also, I LOVE those thumbnails, even though I've been too busy this summer to get them all filled in - yet. But I keep clicking on thumbnails expecting them to expand to full size pics as thumbs often do. It would be awfully nice if they did - not for me, of course, but for visitors who might not realize that they can still get to the full size photo by clicking "view". Just trying to be thoughtful of others ; )
justfurkids
Toone, TN
(Zone 7a)

November 3, 2006
3:23 PM

Post #2878137

I've noticed that when I add a plant from PlantFiles to my journal, there is a wonderful link back to the plantfile page. However, if I clone the entry and move it to another category, everything is copied except for that link.

Hope this make sense. Take a look at my journal and you'll see, each plant is listed under a general category...Trees for instance Then I usually make a subcategory for the individual plant as well, so Coral Bark Japanes Maple is listed under Trees and Trees/Japanese Maple. The second instance of the entry does not have the link back to the page in PlantFiles.

carol
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

November 3, 2006
6:37 PM

Post #2878539

You can't see the PF links when you look at someone else's journal so I can't see your problem, but I can tell you that I have never had this problem in my journal--if the link was there in the first place it stays with it when I clone and when I move things to a new category. The problem I have is occasionally you import something from Plant Files sometimes the link won't show up at all, but once the link is there to begin with I've never had problems. The only difference between the clones that you're having a problem with and the ones that I'm not having problems with is that the category you've been moving things to is a sub-category of the original category, vs when I've done it, I've always moved it to a completely separate category. I can't imagine why doing it your way would cause the link to be lost but there are some occasional weird bugs in the journal! Just for curiosity, can you try cloning an entry that has a link and move it to a completely different category (for example from trees into shrubs) and see if you have the same problem?
bloomheaven
Southern
United States

November 30, 2006
4:04 PM

Post #2956076

I would love the option to link from PlantFiles to our already established journal without creating a new entry. I already have entries in my journal that I would now like to link to PlantFiles, but it seems I can only do it the other way around by adding from PlantFiles to my journal. Maybe when linking from plantfiles to our journals we could have the option of choosing a specific entry to link with, making it a little more specific.

This message was edited Nov 30, 2006 11:30 AM
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

November 30, 2006
7:33 PM

Post #2956633

I would also love to see that feature...most of my plants were added to my journal using the import from Plant Files feature, but ~10% of the time the link back to PF ends up not showing up on the entry for some unknown reason, and this would be a way to fix that problem as well as help out all the people who had hundreds of plants in their journal before the option to import from PF existed.
oldklingon
Olney Springs, CO
(Zone 5b)

December 9, 2006
6:24 PM

Post #2985289

I would like to see this feature also. For the same reasons
bbrookrd
Nantucket, MA
(Zone 7a)

December 14, 2006
12:16 PM

Post #2997978

I would like to be able to make my diary permanently private. I keep forgetting to check the box when I add an entry. Patti
bbrookrd
Nantucket, MA
(Zone 7a)

January 1, 2007
5:54 PM

Post #3042233

I posted this in winter sowing, but I would love to know if this is possible. Thanks, Patti

[quote]I am wondering why DG has not created a spreed sheet for winter sowing? I am a huge fan of the Journal for keeping track of my garden, but I would like to either add the necessary fields to the journal to make it pertinent to sowing information or, better in my opinion, a separate journal for recording sowing information. To make it work for me I would want, aside from those fields already in the Journal, new fields for Source, Date sown, Date germinated, Quantity sown, Date of seed being used, Germination rate, Method Used, and notes. Do any of you want to have such a feature on DG and what would be important to you? I would like all my garden information in one place so DG is it for me. I would be happy to put it on a wish list to Dave, if it is something that others might use besides me. Patti [/quote]
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 1, 2007
6:36 PM

Post #3042417

I think you can do what you want with the journal the way it is--you can make entries for the plants/seeds in your journal, so you could have one entry for the day you sowed the seeds, another entry noting when they germinate, etc and you can put info in the initial comments about where you got the seeds, how many you sowed, method used, etc. You could also use the "milestone" feature in the journal--create a milestone called "sowed" or "germinated", etc and then for each seed that you have in your journal, you can easily add in these milestones on the appropriate dates for each seed. These are the same tools that you would use to keep track of things associated with plants in your garden such as when they bloom, when they were pruned, how you conquered the aphid infestation, etc. Fields like you're suggesting don't exist for regular plants either (such as when it bloomed, when you pruned it, etc) so if we're going to add them for seeds I think we should add ones relevant to plants too. Oh--and you can also make multiple journals, so if you want a separate one for seeds you can already do that.
bbrookrd
Nantucket, MA
(Zone 7a)

January 1, 2007
8:34 PM

Post #3042915

ecrane3, I have used the milestone feature to do this as you suggested, but it is very cumbersome as you can't do mass edits while in the milestone feature nor can you see the information at a glance. That is why I would love a separate spreed sheet created by DG that could interface with the regular Journal when I was ready to plant out the seedlings. I see that many subscribers are using various other garden spreadsheet programs to track their sowing. I will most likely have to continue with the way I use DG now by tracking my seeds via status (seed, sown, transplanted) . Just a wish. Patti
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 1, 2007
10:18 PM

Post #3043223

I think what you're asking for isn't adding features to the journal, it's really a whole new application. Even if Dave put in fields like what you're asking for into the journal, I think it would still probably be something you'd have to do on an entry by entry basis. But it never hurts to wish--seems like Dave's always putting in new stuff, so you never know!
bbrookrd
Nantucket, MA
(Zone 7a)

February 8, 2007
5:07 PM

Post #3169640

When using my journal in [quote]Main Menu[/quote] and sorting by [quote]Access To All Items[/quote] the year does not appear in the column [quote]Begin Date[/quote] only the day and month. The year appears in all other places. As I use this sort a lot it would be nice to see which year I am dealing with. Thanks. Patti

palmbob

palmbob
Acton, CA
(Zone 8b)

February 22, 2007
8:52 PM

Post #3215249

My journal is very useful to me in that it is automatically organized alphabetically by genus and then species. However, this organizational rule does not hold for those who visit my journal- order appears totally random unless there is a common name attached.. .sadly, 99% of my plants have no common name, so the randomness prevails, making it very time consuming for someone else looking at my journal to find anything. ANy way it could be organized similar for the viewer as well as it is for me?
bbrookrd
Nantucket, MA
(Zone 7a)

February 22, 2007
10:20 PM

Post #3215454

Palmbob as a viewer I can resort your list by genus or common name etc by clicking on the cell that I want it sorted by, or am I confused as to what you want. It wouldn't be the first time. Patti

palmbob

palmbob
Acton, CA
(Zone 8b)

February 22, 2007
11:46 PM

Post #3215729

I guess I forgot you could do that.
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

April 5, 2007
11:44 AM

Post #3358208

My wish is for the Diary-

I would like to have the ability to to create a "sticky" so that the items in the categories I want to stay near the top will do so. I am currently entering new data on the same date to achieve this goal. It might be that we already have this function and I don't know about it yet.

Rj
wickedelph
Naperville, IL
(Zone 5a)

April 11, 2007
8:28 PM

Post #3380994

My ideal journal would insert the PF picture into an entry linked to a Plant File. I'm just starting out using the journal, and in gardening in general, so my entries so far are plants I've ordered or am thinking of ordering. Having the picture next to the name of the plant helps me remember the plant and is a great help when scanning through my lists.

I've also noticed the link to the PlantFile is at the very bottom of the entry, it would be nice if the entry name were the link or at least the link were at the top of the page.

I'd also like to see a couple customizable fields in the entries. I like scanning my plants in the summary list instead of having to view each entry and I would like to be able to see some details in columns that are currently not options and be able to sort them by those columns. Speaking of sorting, I'd also like a secondary sorting option. ie. first sort by location and then by cultivar, etc.

This message was edited Apr 12, 2007 9:51 PM

I would also really like the option of seeing thumbnails or the full picture in journal entries and message board posts. I know a lot of people use dial up, but for those of us that don't it would be nice to read a page straight through without having to click on pictures and go back all the time. If that's not possible, maybe have a Next link to just keep going to the next picture/post instead of having to go back and figure out where you left off.

This message was edited Apr 18, 2007 1:38 PM
langbr
Olathe, KS
(Zone 6a)

April 26, 2007
12:30 PM

Post #3433163

Hi Dave! Long time no see. :-)

Been working on my Journal again and have a suggestion.

You have a Search Journal feature at the top right of the Journal pages. Since I movedto a new home, I have journal entries that are from my old home and other entries that are at my new home. I set up a new Journal for my new home. I moved many plants from old to new home and so it's VERY nice to have the ability to move entries to another journal. As I'm planting new plants at my new home, that I am putting in a lot of favs that I did not bring with me and when I do a search to update a new planting I get all the old entries from the old house (in a separate journal).

Could we change the Search Journal box to be only the current active journal and then add a checkbox right below to "Search ALL your Journals?"? That way I can search only my current journal or choose to search ALL my journals.

Thanks for considering this.

Brenda

DreamOfSpring

DreamOfSpring
Charleston, SC
(Zone 9a)

April 26, 2007
12:46 PM

Post #3433212

I like that idea as I, too, have had the stated problem.

I LOVE my journal. It is one of my favorite DG features, and I don't know how I ever gardened without it; however, now that you have so kindly added the thumbs (which I also LOVE), it sure would be nice if I could choose which of my photos would be displayed as the thumbnail. At present it appears to be the last photo entry for a given item. If I like the current thumb, I can't add any more photos for that item without changing it.
langbr
Olathe, KS
(Zone 6a)

May 17, 2007
3:23 AM

Post #3505966

Another suggestion for Journal change. I think this is a minor one...

What I have done in my Journal is utilized sub-categories. So I have "Lilium" and then "Asiatic", "Oriental", etc under that as a sub-category. Unfortunately, when I select the "Lilium" category I don't see any plants as they are all residing in a sub-category. What would be ideal is to see any entries that are in the Lilium category and/or in a sub-category of "Lily". This lets me see the total number of Lilium I have and then I can drill down to Asiatics and see how many of the total Lilies I have are Asiatics.
bbrookrd
Nantucket, MA
(Zone 7a)

May 30, 2007
11:45 AM

Post #3551879

In utilizing the "Search your journal" feature, I would love to be able to have the ability to choose the sort order in which the list appears. Editing within that list would be super.

Thus if I do a sort of Hosta in "Search your journal" and I want to see all the Hosta I have planted and in what location I could do a sort on "Location" and then I could scroll down to that location and see only those that are planted there. Or by cultivar to be able to see an alphabetized list of all the plants of a particular genus. This would be a huge help when ordering new plants to avoid duplicates. Endless possibilities of good uses. Patti
blakekhall
Omaha, NE
(Zone 5a)

June 2, 2007
4:20 PM

Post #3565796

I love this site. I am a new user but am going wild trying to get everything in my yard in my journal and keeping great records is one of my passions.

I'd love to be able to set up a predefined list of locations of my different gardens and be able to select a location during journal entry.

Choosing which photo will be the thumbnail would also be very nice.
Thanks
baagrant
Rock Hill, SC
(Zone 7b)

June 3, 2007
11:09 AM

Post #3568716

Sorting that allows you to sort by Genus then Species then cultivar alphabetically so that the plants are actually in true alphabetical order.

Returning to your prior location in your journal when you do something like make an edit.

Being able to actually make a journal entry completely at one time, currently if you start at PlantFiles add to my journal,
click here to select a category
click on the category
Go to the entry
Edit this item ( required so that one make a meaningful journal entry)
submit
Go back to the " " entry
Add an entry to this item
Submit

Why not give an option to allow upon first entry the ability to edit, add pictures, add milestones all without having to go back and forth? It works now, but it is anything but efficient having to repeatedly go to the mouse and get back where you want to be.

Having the ability to update status on a number of plants in your journal at one time.

Having the ability to work split screen, I now use two computers so that I can use one in PlantFiles while working in other parts of DG. Would be especially useful when you have pictures of your plant but don't know the name and are looking for a similar one.

I love DG but keep on making it better.
langbr
Olathe, KS
(Zone 6a)

June 3, 2007
3:29 PM

Post #3569380

Barbara~

You can do mass changes to Status, Cateogory and actually Add an Entry to multiple records. You must click on a category or status which brings up a list of all relevant entries and then you there is a checkbox where you can select which records the mass update applies to. Once you've checked the appropriate ones you can then click on Status Change, Category Change or Add an Entry at the bottom of the list.

Not sure this is what you were looking for or not, but I know most people don't realize that function is there.

Brenda
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 23, 2007
12:55 PM

Post #3648401

This would be near the top of my wish list., and mabe we already have it and I don't know..
I would love to have stickys in my Diary as there are things I wish to stay at the top of the categories..
Right now I am changing the dates (which is sort of blows the idea of the dates in my diaries.) so that I can keep the desired info on top...

Rj
Meredith79
Southeastern, NH
(Zone 5b)

January 27, 2008
4:37 AM

Post #4459196

When you use the access by status button and click on prepare items for printing it should still print the initial comment. It only prints the initial comment if you print from a category. I have my seeds listed, with the status used as the date I need to start them. This is great because I can click on -view by "8 weeks" status- and the seeds I want to start come up, but when I try to print the list it doesn't include the initial comment, which is where I have the seed starting information. Also it should keep the items in the same order you chose to sort them by, when it prepares for printing. I like my items to be listed by order of Genus. Not the common name, which is the default for printing.
langbr
Olathe, KS
(Zone 6a)

January 27, 2008
4:17 PM

Post #4460284

I've noticed this too, Meredith and would love to see this changed when Dave gets to working on the Journal again.
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 27, 2008
4:33 PM

Post #4460344

I agree it would be nice to fix that--but in the interim if you really want it printed out in a particular order, you don't have to print from that screen, you can always print the original page where you have everything sorted the way you want it. It'll work better if you set it to print landscape instead of portrait, otherwise some of the columns on the right will get cut off. You don't get exactly the same info as when you prepare things for printing (no comments for example), but maybe that would work for some people as a temporary fix.
Meredith79
Southeastern, NH
(Zone 5b)

January 27, 2008
5:17 PM

Post #4460539

ecrane3 - if I understand correctly - the only problem with that way is (like you said) you can't include the initial comment. I was trying to use the journal to make seed starting easy - so I need the initial comment included for sowing info on each seed.
However I think the intention of keeping it without the initial comment or enteries is so you can print a list with room to write under each Item. (It leaves a large space between each Item.)

I ended up adding a new category for printing. It is time consuming - but I went into view by status- clicked the wk I want to start and individually cloned each item- then went back in and moved each clone to the new category. (I am going to do each one as I need it because it was quite time consuming.)

This made a new wish for me - Be able to mass edit with the clone option.- Which I read someone else wish for in another thread.

This message was edited Feb 18, 2008 12:30 PM
Meredith79
Southeastern, NH
(Zone 5b)

January 27, 2008
5:23 PM

Post #4460552

This message was edited Jan 27, 2008 12:26 PM

This message was edited Jan 27, 2008 12:28 PM

onewish1

onewish1
Denville, NJ
(Zone 6b)

February 19, 2008
4:01 AM

Post #4558227

is there a way to add a category to the main sorting by

RID Common name Cultivar Genus Species Location Begin Date Status Entries Actions

I would like to add plant height

Allison
Cordeledawg
Cordele, GA
(Zone 8a)

March 16, 2008
12:05 PM

Post #4669954

Is there a way to add a search block to locate a plant in your journals, similar to the rid search block? After listing all of my plants by garden beds into my journal, I sometimes forget where my plant is planted. If I had a way of entering the plant name into a search field, I wouldn't have to look through every garden journal to find it.
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

March 16, 2008
3:39 PM

Post #4670490

You already can do that. When you go into your journal, on the top of the main page (and probably all the other pages as well although I didn't check) there are two search boxes at the top of the page, one says jump to RID and the other one says search your journal. I use the search your journal one all the time to search for plants.
Cordeledawg
Cordele, GA
(Zone 8a)

March 16, 2008
3:41 PM

Post #4670496

Thanks! I didn't know that!!!!!How exciting! Thank you! Now may be I can find some of my Lost entries!
bbrookrd
Nantucket, MA
(Zone 7a)

April 16, 2008
3:21 PM

Post #4817033

I would love to have a "Source" column added to the journal next to the location column. Thanks, Patti

DreamOfSpring

DreamOfSpring
Charleston, SC
(Zone 9a)

April 16, 2008
3:30 PM

Post #4817087

Ooooo! I would also like that. I keep that info in the text or comments area for each item but would love to have it in a separate column so that I could search and sort on that info. : )
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

April 16, 2008
7:43 PM

Post #4818083

I'd like that too--I always put that in my initial comments, but it would be great if there was a separate field for it.
langbr
Olathe, KS
(Zone 6a)

April 17, 2008
1:09 PM

Post #4821657

Good idea Patti...I also keep track of this and a separate field would be nice especially as orders start rolling in this time of year.
bbrookrd
Nantucket, MA
(Zone 7a)

July 21, 2008
1:41 PM

Post #5295322

I would love the columns to be changed to be more useful when cutting and pasting a plant to a forum or blog. Having it the way it is now is not useful unless the common name and the genus are the same. Thanks, Patti

As it is now.

RID Common name Cultivar Genus Species

Blue Mist Spiraea, Bluebeard Worcester Gold Caryopteris x clandonensis

I would love it to be

RID Genus Species Cultivar Common name

Caryopteris x clandonensis Worcester Gold Blue Mist Spiraea, Bluebeard

bbrookrd
Nantucket, MA
(Zone 7a)

October 7, 2008
11:43 PM

Post #5644751

Any update in sight? Patti
langbr
Olathe, KS
(Zone 6a)

October 8, 2008
2:12 PM

Post #5646674

Would love to see some action on this list. Would love to be able to export the info so I can at least sort and manipulate my data since I'm unable to do that online.
bbrookrd
Nantucket, MA
(Zone 7a)

October 8, 2008
2:46 PM

Post #5646807

langbr, Love that idea. I could then make a spreadsheet for my much needed cultivar lists that could be sorted in alpha order or bed order, of source order and so on and on. The sorting functions are the weakest part of the Journal IMO. And the second is the lack of user designated columns that can be sorted. I want a column for "source" others want "primary color" or "bloom sequence" and so on.

It is wonderful to be able to go to the feature, "search my journal" for a specific cultivar , but when doing a sort for a genus, like Narcissus, for all that are currently in my journal, the list appears in an un-sortable random order (rid order) which is of little use.

I would love to hear if there are any plans to tweak this marvelous feature. I am a huge fan, but always hoping for improvement. But not being a writer of programs I don't know what is feasible. I have been involved since the 80's in a user group for a tracking system used by bookstores. The Information entry and manipulation is so similar between books and plants that I have great hope for DG's journal feature improving. Demanding such new features for such a small yearly amountis asking a lot. I would be happy to pay more for an expanded and improved Journal feature. Patti

This message was edited Oct 8, 2008 10:48 AM
langbr
Olathe, KS
(Zone 6a)

October 9, 2008
4:06 AM

Post #5649721

I second Patti's comment...I too would be willing to pay extra for an expanded Journal tool.

Sorting is a huge issue for me in the existing Journal system. Again, Patti has captured the reason why perfectly. I want to be able to sort on ALL fields (system and user-defined). I'd like the ability to EXCLUDE items I have marked as Finished. When I search my entire journal system I get results from other secondary journals for items I've coded as Finished. This basically means all the plants at my old residence. (I start a new journal for each home and also separate journals for seed starting).

However, even if given all the ability I can dream up for sorting, I still want to be able to EXPORT data to a CSV file at a minimum. That way I can import it into my labeling software. As it is now, to label all my plants I maintain a separate database of the same exact plants in my label software. Information includes genus, species, cultivar, RID #, and added info such as Hybridizer and ploidy or division (in the case of narcissus or liliums). It would be a huge time saver to just export all the data fields I need (selectable upon execution of the export command) and add a couple of new data sets and print my label lickety-split.

I've not been actively maintaining my journal this summer. I usually save that for a fall/winter project. So I'm a little out of date on my wants & wishes. In a couple of months I could have a nice list of suggested improvements. I know there's some room for improvement in the Clone and Mass Edit features. Also printing output is rudimentary at best. (you don't get images or the choice to include/exclude image entries) You get a string of text basically that's not visually laid out in an easy-to-read manner.

I would love, love, love to provide user feedback and beta testing of improvements and changes to the Journal.

Some feedback or acknowledgment by Admin would be nice. This thread has been going since April 2005. 3-1/2 years. It's a long time to wait for a single post from an Admin (other than the initial opening post I don't see any Admin posts...I could be missing someone though). In any event, an acknowledgment that you still want our input on this topic would be comforting and reassuring at this stage that there is still desire or plan to work on the Journal tool. Or is it a lost cause to hope for improvements?

I don't mean to come off in an offensive manner. I've re-written and re-worded the above several times to insure the tone of what I'm saying comes through right without being misunderstood. I am optimistic, enthusiastic and eager to get started on changes and want to help in any way I can. At the same time, I'm a little disillusioned and somewhat jaded about actually seeing anything happen. And so, I'm just at a point where I just want to know. . .one way or the other. . . no time table required, just a yes or no and maybe a thanks for being persistent.
langbr
Olathe, KS
(Zone 6a)

November 12, 2008
6:03 PM

Post #5782864

When you click on "Access All Items" near the top of the home Journal page you get a listing of ALL the items in the active Journal. However, if you then click on the link at the top of the page to "Prepare all items on this page for printing" you get a text version of ALL journal items for ALL journals, not just the active journal and not just the ones displayed on the page the link is clicked from.
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

November 13, 2008
2:23 AM

Post #5784668

I'm not sure why it happens that way when you access all items, but I tested it in my journal and if you go into your individual categories then it only shows the things that were on that page (at least in the couple categories I tried it in). So unless you feel you absolutely must have everything together, the way around it for now is print your things out category by category instead of doing everything at once.
langbr
Olathe, KS
(Zone 6a)

November 13, 2008
2:28 AM

Post #5784695

Yep, I knew that I could do the categories that way, but I was looking for something to archive all entries. I got ALL entries, alright. lol
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 30, 2008
3:45 PM

Post #5844003

Is there any way to combine two entries in the same category, saving and combining all photos and entries for that plant?

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

January 5, 2009
2:21 PM

Post #5968552

Sorry--I didn't see your question sooner. I think the only way to combine entries is manually...there isn't any way to "merge" them together.
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 5, 2009
3:26 PM

Post #5968769

Thanks ~ that was what I suspected.

onewish1

onewish1
Denville, NJ
(Zone 6b)

January 23, 2009
2:23 PM

Post #6039983

I would love to be able export my journal to excel... with the photos

I can copy and paste the print page... but no photos and impossible to sort in the format as it is
bbrookrd
Nantucket, MA
(Zone 7a)

January 23, 2009
4:26 PM

Post #6040485

Terry, are there any plans to make any changes in the current DG Journal feature? I still love it, mostly but I still have some major hopes.

My most wanted ones are these 3

1 Change the order of the columns so when coping an entry it can be pasted and make sense.

As is now.

[quote] Miniature Narcissus, Miniature Daffodil - Golden Bells - Narcissus - bulbocodium var. conspicuus - dell north bed - Jul 20, 2008 - 2008 PLANTED[/quote]

it would be better if it read in this order IMHO. As it is now it has to be cut and pasted to make sense. "Narcissus bulbocodium var. conspicuus Golden Bells"

[quote] Miniature Narcissus, Miniature Daffodil - Narcissus - bulbocodium var. conspicuus - Golden Bells - dell north bed - Jul 20, 2008 - 2008 PLANTED [/quote]

2. Have a source column, or a blank column added to the header that could be used as one needs. As it is now.

[quote]RID- Common name - Cultivar -Genus - Species - Location - Begin Date - Status - Entries - Actions [/quote]

with the source or blank added

[quote] RID - Miniature Narcissus, Miniature Daffodil - Golden Bells - Narcissus - bulbocodium var. conspicuus - dell north bed - Jul 20, 2008 - 2008 PLANTED - Brent & Becky - 1- Add | View
Edit | Delete Move [/quote]

3. Have a way to have a secondary sort feature. Thus allowing us to sort by say as the primary sort by Genus and then have a secondary sort by say Cultivar as an example. Or by having the primary sort of everything in a particular location, say the veggie bed, and have the ability to have a secondary sort say by the begin date. That would be very helpful for for crop planting and harvesting.

Those are my 3 big hopes, but others have posted many good ideas in the past. Thanks for considering these wants. Patti

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

January 30, 2009
10:13 PM

Post #6072241

Patti, I know Dave is always receptive to ideas, but I also know that right now (and really for most of the next several months) he is up to his neck in 'gators (as the saying goes), with a lot of projects and to-do's. If we haven't revisited this issue by mid-2009, please give us a friendly nudge and ask again, okay?
bbrookrd
Nantucket, MA
(Zone 7a)

January 31, 2009
1:23 PM

Post #6074098

Terry, Thanks, I will keep my "nudger" at the ready while continuing to keep my ever expanding DG Journal. I will try to list other ideas that pop up as I use the journal noted in my blog. That way when Dave has the time or interest to update the Journal, I will be able to instantly access other possible changes that I think would be nice, too. I love the blog feature. I only have one wish for it. It has become the main place in my life to file all sorts of information. Back now to the winter work of garden planning, ordering and entry work in my Journal of all the new plants that are coming and the seeds that I am about to start. Hope you escaped the ice storm. Patti

onewish1

onewish1
Denville, NJ
(Zone 6b)

January 31, 2009
1:34 PM

Post #6074130

I am here to help nudge too!
cedar18
Lula, GA
(Zone 7b)

February 10, 2009
4:52 PM

Post #6119995

Love the journal and blog/diary features and continue to explore their uses.

Wish
Garden Calendar in the diary area that you could set up by month, and the entries would stay in their Month order regardless of update entries made.
Kristin4smilely
Portland, OR
(Zone 8a)

March 15, 2009
6:34 AM

Post #6269175

I'm always in need of ways to help me organize, so the calendar idea as said in other entries would be most valuable. I'm planting many more seeds this year and need a good way to keep track.

And I'd love the option of being able create a visual layout with plantfile pictures.

And load a digital picture of a my planting area, then use plantfile picture to paste ideas so I could get and idea of how different plant combos may look.

The ability to input text as part of the visual layout.

Drop down boxes would be great for notes

I'm a visual person and having such an interactive garden journal would be a priceless tool to have on My favorite website. Thank You
Kristin
shadydame
North Walpole, NH
(Zone 5a)

June 22, 2009
3:25 PM

Post #6722826

In my ideal journal I would be able to set the journal to sort by the names of my plants on a consistent basis, and not have it constantly default to sorting by RID every time I go back to the journal page. This drives me nuts, as I am an English teacher & would rather be able to sort by alphabetical rather than numerical order. (Leave that to the Math teachers!)
bbrookrd
Nantucket, MA
(Zone 7a)

June 22, 2009
6:46 PM

Post #6723811

There is a long list of wonderful ideas on here. Any plans for an update any time soon. I was suppose to remind you in the summer...Started yesterday, but it feels like a wild fall day here. Branches blowing down with this cool driving rain, a real nor'easter, so I am inside work on my journal. Patti
bbrookrd
Nantucket, MA
(Zone 7a)

July 16, 2009
11:16 AM

Post #6825737

Terry, "friendly nudge" wink wink.
cedar18
Lula, GA
(Zone 7b)

July 16, 2009
11:39 AM

Post #6825779

Another journal 'wish' - to be able to sort by the headers from a results search.Example: when I search 'daylily' - I get all of mine from various categories, which is what I want. But I'd like to be able to sort them by cultivar name.
Thanks.
bbrookrd
Nantucket, MA
(Zone 7a)

August 25, 2009
7:43 PM

Post #6987334

[quote]Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

January 30, 2009
06:13 PM

Post #6072241

If we haven't revisited this issue by mid-2009, please give us a friendly nudge and ask again, okay?[/quote]

as requested, "Nudge Nudge". Patti
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 25, 2009
8:20 PM

Post #6987450

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=6072241
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=6040485

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

September 8, 2009
10:16 PM

Post #7041646

I've asked Dave to take a peek, and let me know what his current to-do list is looking like.
echoes
South of Winnipeg, MB
(Zone 3a)

September 8, 2009
10:21 PM

Post #7041655

One other little bug when you do a search like this. The begin date box doesn't show the year. Not a big deal, but if it could be fixed too...

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

September 9, 2009
12:46 AM

Post #7042100

Okay, so where exactly do we need to pick up? I know many of the '05 changes were made. I'm thinking some of the '07 changes have also been implemented. But I'm not sure exactly where in '07 or '08 to start pulling together a prioritized list from.
echoes
South of Winnipeg, MB
(Zone 3a)

September 9, 2009
6:07 PM

Post #7044675

My ideal journal would:
Allow me to be open to a choice of
All DG members,
Only DG subscribers,
Only a list of Friends, such as we use for a dmail blast

My ideal journal would:
give more options with mass editing

My ideal journal would:
Allow a sort by headers after a journal search.

My ideal journal would:
Allow me to see the Start Date, including the year, after a sort.

My ideal journal would:
Allow me to print in the same order that I did my sort.

My ideal journal would:
allow me to see Start date when you View your entire entry for that item.

I'm sure I'll be back with more, but that's it for now. This is just pertaining to the journal, not the diary. If none of these changes are made to happen, I'll still love my journal.

Terry said at the beginning of the thread
[quote]3) Remember this is a wish-list for a new journal format, not questions on "how-to" use the current journal's features. (Those posts are welcome in other threads in this forum ;o)

Ready? Okay, give us your "dream journal" ideas, please![/quote]
I hope it's OK to assume that our suggestions can be use at this time for improving the journal that we already have.
bbrookrd
Nantucket, MA
(Zone 7a)

November 27, 2009
4:47 PM

Post #7313776

Dear Santa Dave, Any changes or updates for the journal planned any time soon. I would love some. I've been good. Patti
bbrookrd
Nantucket, MA
(Zone 7a)

February 23, 2010
12:28 AM

Post #7580271

Dave is gone, so is anyone thinking update??? I am hopeful still. Patti

onewish1

onewish1
Denville, NJ
(Zone 6b)

February 23, 2010
2:26 AM

Post #7580549

me too!!!
joejarvis
Shawnee, KS
(Zone 5b)

March 30, 2010
7:08 PM

Post #7668279

+1 attach pictures to milestones
cedar18
Lula, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 31, 2010
10:25 AM

Post #7669544

brookrd, or anyone -- uh oh, I've been out of touch a while on DG -- what does "Dave's gone" mean?
bbrookrd
Nantucket, MA
(Zone 7a)

March 31, 2010
10:30 AM

Post #7669559

Dave sold Dave's Garden a few years ago and then it was sold again recently, with him no longer being anything other then a member. He no longer has any role, but a few of the old admin are still involved. New Kids in charge. Not sure of their plans, but I am hopeful that they will do a major update to the Journal at some point. Patti
cedar18
Lula, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 31, 2010
6:48 PM

Post #7670646

Thanks for the update. I hope all changes are good because Dave and crew have been wonderful.
cedar18
Lula, GA
(Zone 7b)

May 16, 2010
11:58 AM

Post #7797834

Terry, Here's a change I would like.
I wish the opening date of a journal entry would show when you click on it.
http://davesgarden.com/tools/journal/viewentry.php?rid=237869
In looking at this screen, I don't know what year that I planted these lilies. I have to go back to another view.
thanks
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 16, 2010
1:46 PM

Post #7798061

And that is a suggestion I will agree with!
More than once I have gone to the journal looking for a date that I received a plant or started a seed but the first journal entry is a large question mark.
Good suggestion ~ Cedar18!

onewish1

onewish1
Denville, NJ
(Zone 6b)

May 16, 2010
4:31 PM

Post #7798609

I would love to be able to search a specific journal... and not search every one
cedar18
Lula, GA
(Zone 7b)

May 16, 2010
5:28 PM

Post #7798834

oh good podster, I'm not the only journal-geek! :)
bbrookrd
Nantucket, MA
(Zone 7a)

May 17, 2010
5:42 PM

Post #7802091

I have many requests that have been listed many times. I think they, like Dave, have put us on ignore. The journal could be way more useful, though I can't live without it even in it's current form. I keep waiting for someone to take interest in this part of the site. Forever hopeful. Patti

onewish1

onewish1
Denville, NJ
(Zone 6b)

May 17, 2010
5:43 PM

Post #7802093

here here!!!
echoes
South of Winnipeg, MB
(Zone 3a)

May 18, 2010
8:37 AM

Post #7804082

I recognize that some things could be better and it would be nice to have a few more features or options. At the same time, I would hate to lose anything that we do have, or have it "broken" from attempted changes. I find it very useful too, and have figured out ways to use it that work best for me.
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 24, 2010
6:53 AM

Post #7822256

Not sure I can be clear but what I have wished for when searching for an item in my journal is:

If I search for a specific item, it will list all the items with that in the title. Sometimes, I find I have duplicated entries.

Could it be possible in the journal search to list the category each item is in?

That would make journal housekeeping much easier.
cedar18
Lula, GA
(Zone 7b)

May 24, 2010
7:45 AM

Post #7822419

Oh podster, you are my journal-mate (as opposed to soulmate: I already have my DH for that)! I agree, that would be excellent. I clone plant-entries as I move divisions of plants into other parts of the garden (which is how I use "category" -- for names of beds or garden areas; courtyard, nursery beds, etc.).

But since a search does not show that info (category), you have to click on each one or try to infer from location which category (bed) it is in.
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 24, 2010
8:22 AM

Post #7822558

Yes Ma'am and I am on Possum Bell dial up so you can guess how long that takes.

It only makes sense seeing as the search entries found allow you to "Add/View/Edit/Delete/Move" from the search page !?!!

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

October 22, 2010
6:24 AM

Post #8169156

I suspect the journal is an interesting (read: complicated) piece of programming work. Dave programmed it, but even he was a little reticent to tinker with it much. So it's not that your requests are ignored, I'm just trying to figure out the best way to prioritize this for the tech guys, and to look for the changes that would be most helpful to you without causing them to basically re-write the entire thing (and/or tear their hair out in the process.)
bbrookrd
Nantucket, MA
(Zone 7a)

October 22, 2010
7:38 PM

Post #8170387

Terry, wow, so happy to hear that we may have some tweaking done to the journal. I love most of it. I would be happy and honored to help any way I can. Patti

onewish1

onewish1
Denville, NJ
(Zone 6b)

October 23, 2010
4:36 AM

Post #8170882

yes ... I would be happy to help as well
bbrookrd
Nantucket, MA
(Zone 7a)

February 28, 2011
6:05 AM

Post #8397331

nudge nudge...any thoughts about some updates any time soon? Patti (I know I am a pest, sorry)

onewish1

onewish1
Denville, NJ
(Zone 6b)

February 28, 2011
11:00 AM

Post #8397978

I will pest again too then!!!
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 28, 2011
11:13 AM

Post #8398008

Odd Bbrookrd ... that was my thought as soon as I saw this thread come up.

Oh good... some of our journal wishes have been granted. Nope... no magic fairy dust. LOL
Meredith79
Southeastern, NH
(Zone 5b)

June 2, 2011
4:13 PM

Post #8604645

I was just wishing that I could keep my journal private to everyone except who I decide to share it with. Kind of like how Picasa lets you give private albums links so only people with links can see it. I like to record seed starting info that I can share however I don't want anyone and everyone looking at everything I put in there. I like how you can do that with the Garden Diaries make certain enteries private. Or another thought would be to add friends that can view it like how only friends see your profile on facebook.
bbrookrd
Nantucket, MA
(Zone 7a)

June 2, 2011
4:40 PM

Post #8604699

Sounds great to me. Any movement to make some changes would be wonderful. Patti

onewish1

onewish1
Denville, NJ
(Zone 6b)

June 2, 2011
4:42 PM

Post #8604706

agreed
Meredith79
Southeastern, NH
(Zone 5b)

June 2, 2011
5:25 PM

Post #8604864

podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 2, 2011
7:59 PM

Post #8605261

Ditto...

and yes, even just select entries kept private would work. I could like that.

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

June 3, 2011
3:45 AM

Post #8605568

Let me see...unfortunately, the journal is a very complicated piece of programming :-(
bbrookrd
Nantucket, MA
(Zone 7a)

June 3, 2011
6:04 AM

Post #8605815

Oh, my, we have raised up admin. Yippee. I know tweaking the Journal is complicated, but it is so loved by many and kind of ignored and in need of some new features and improvements. No need to list them as I am sure poor Terry has been hounded enough by us over the past few years with some of the things on our wish list which are not all the same, but plenty of good ideas floated by in the past.

I would be happy to pay an additional fee for an greatly enhanced version as there is nothing being sold in the computer world that can match DG Journal as connected to Plant Files for entry work, but it would need sorting abilities and ways to use it as printed spread sheet. Now it is old and clunky. Example, even though I said I wouldn't list needs: I have an TBI coming up in a particular bed and I want to ID it as the tag has gone missing. I either have to do a sort on all TBI in my garden and visually scan down through them all (hundreds) to find any that are planted in that particular bed to see if I can match it, or I can do a sort on a particular bed and then go down through that list and try to find any TBI's on that list and try to match it. This list could also contain hundreds of diffenent plants and without any way to sort the list by genus, it is hugely time consuming. So having the ability to do a secondary sort is essential. I could go on, but glad you are still out there Terry. Patti

onewish1

onewish1
Denville, NJ
(Zone 6b)

June 3, 2011
3:48 PM

Post #8606735

sort and a search within a certain journal would be great... rather than search every journal
bbrookrd
Nantucket, MA
(Zone 7a)

June 4, 2012
6:17 AM

Post #9151331

Been a year since my last request, so just wondering if there is any plans to update the DG journal feature? Keep hoping. Patti
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 4, 2012
7:26 AM

Post #9151436

Patti ~ this thread comes to mind every time I open my journal.

After this length of time I think it is safe to say there will be no changes forthcoming.
It was a good thing we weren't holding our breath. lol Kristi

onewish1

onewish1
Denville, NJ
(Zone 6b)

June 5, 2012
4:01 AM

Post #9152862

:(
bbrookrd
Nantucket, MA
(Zone 7a)

January 27, 2013
4:03 PM

Post #9399390

Now that they have done the Garden Showcase it would only stand to reason that they would make updates to the Journal as they are totally connected. I have to take the information off my journal entries to ID photo's being posted however the way the Journal is set up this process is a complete PITA. There is far too much cutting and pasting to do to get the entry listed correctly. Plus there is no viable way to do a secondary sort after searching my journal so it takes ages to get all the information to post with the photo. I would have posted many more photo's but it takes too long to correctly label them and they are kind of useless without Genus, species and cultivar labels. But not holding my breath. Patti
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 27, 2013
7:33 PM

Post #9399565

Good thing not to hold your breath after looking at the beginning date of this thread. lol

Unfortunately, I have cruised through other members journals and find very few folks keep them. Apparently we are a narrow group of journaleers and not high priority. Sorry ~ Kristi
bbrookrd
Nantucket, MA
(Zone 7a)

January 28, 2013
9:21 AM

Post #9400132

I am afraid you are right, but If the journal was made more relevant with some tweaking it would be unparallelled as a tool for any gardener. I am sure that more people would use it especially if it could be tied into the Garden Showcase.

Just moving the list into the correct order that is used by the whole garden world would be a huge improvement. Genus, species, Cultivar... then common name. Not too difficult. Then to add a blank space after the status so the user could designate the space for their own needs. I would love to have the source listed, but others might want propagation notes, or bloom color or size. I don't know why we need the heading called entries, so a personalized blank space could use that position IMHO. But all this is wishful thinking. Patti
ted5310
Brea, CA
(Zone 10b)

July 28, 2013
4:30 PM

Post #9614621

Don't know where to go. Where are my journal pics
bbrookrd
Nantucket, MA
(Zone 7a)

July 28, 2013
4:43 PM

Post #9614627

They are now only available as far as I can figure, if you search your own journal.
Here is how I do it.

Click on Home and on right side you will see:
[quote]
Custom Box
Guides and Information

PlantFiles
Articles

My Tools

Blog
Journal

Products and Sources

The Garden Watchdog

Journal Menu
Ľ Main Page

Jump to RID:

Search your journal:[/quote]

now type in something in the search box that you are looking for and you will see your photo

example: you want to see all the Narcissus in your garden( or daffodils, depending how you list them), type in Narcissus and you will get a list with all that are in your journal. You can search by any category that is in your journal such as location or status etc. Hope this helps with our current Journal mess. Patti

DreamOfSpring

DreamOfSpring
Charleston, SC
(Zone 9a)

July 29, 2013
9:56 AM

Post #9615318

I'm confused - but maybe that's not so unusual. Can't you just go directly to your journal to see your journal pics? I just tried it, and that worked for me. Or did I misinterpret the question?
bbrookrd
Nantucket, MA
(Zone 7a)

July 29, 2013
7:11 PM

Post #9615896

I am hoping you have found something I can no longer do or have a new bug. But as I see it, now as before you can click on view for each item in your journal and see a picture of that one selected item. But before we could see all pictures next to rid column and then for more information about what had been entered in comment field about a specific entry you would then selected view. However, before we could scroll through our entire journal or through any specific category in the journal and see all the entered pictures next to rid column. I now have to do a sort any recognized catsgory such as by location or Genus or date to lump a group together so I can see the photos so I can ID a plant. This is especially helpful with any collection of plants like my narcissus collection or primula etc so the new way to see photo's works, mostly, just different. However one giant loss is that I can no longer look at all the plants that I buy from a specific source as I once could as that catagory isn't recognized even though that is my sub catagory for all entries in my journal. Hope we get this fixed, but thinking it is a dead request like everything on this thread. Patti

DreamOfSpring

DreamOfSpring
Charleston, SC
(Zone 9a)

July 30, 2013
8:06 AM

Post #9616346

Patti,

In an effort to try to discern if I'm just not understanding (vs actually seeing the screen differently for some reason or having maybe found a different way to 'get there'), I decided to take a screen shot to illustrate what I was trying to say yesterday. Low and behold, when I went back to the page, the same one I had viewed yesterday, to get a screen shot, the pictures were gone - but they were there yesterday.

After some head scratching to try to make sense of all this, I discovered something very interesting. What I found may be helpful to the developers in troubleshooting the issue. It may also provide a way for us to get to those missing pictures. Explanation below.

The 2 images below are screenshots from my journal. Both were taken a few minutes ago and both show the same entry "Play To Win" circled in red. The two pages do not show identical entries because of a sorting glitch in the system (explanation in a minute), but we can still use them to compare the "Play To Win" entry.

As you will immediately notice, the 1st image (below) has the iris thumbnails (or pictures), including the one for Play To Win. This is what I was seeing yesterday when I wrote the post questioning you guys about the problem. The 2nd image, however, has no thumbnails not even the one for Play To Win - even though both images were taken today just a minute or so apart! The 2nd image appears to illustrate what you have been seeing and describing.

The differences between these 2 images is a function of how I arrived at the screen, believe it or not. For Image 2 I clicked on "My Journal" to reach this page. For Image 1, I got there by choosing "my info" and the selecting "Read DreamOfSpring's Garden Journal." Now I do realize the latter method is not the correct way to view one's journal, but it's what I apparently did yesterday when in a hurry and momentarily confused by the changes to the menus. I just couldn't find the "My Journal" link right away at the time.

It would appear I actually have uncovered another glitch in the system. You may be able to use this glitch to view those thumbnails in the mean time, until they get it fixed. Depending on what you want to do on the page, you may need to use both screens, one to view the pics and the other to access some of the stuff that is chopped off on the other screen. Not perfect but a possible work around.

Oh, and the reason I ended up with the 2 pages sorted differently is if you take the Image 2 route (using "My Journal") the system sorts them by name automatically. If you take the Image 1 route (using the "my info" screen) the entries are not sorted (same behavior as Journal always had). I took Image 1 (not sorted) 1st. When I got to the screen to take Image 2, it was sorted automatically. I could not 'unsort' the screen for Image 2, and I was too lazy to go back to redo Image 1. (I mention this both to explain this mystery and to point out yet another behavioral difference between the 2 screens).

Thumbnail by DreamOfSpring   Thumbnail by DreamOfSpring         
Click an image for an enlarged view.

Meredith79
Southeastern, NH
(Zone 5b)

July 30, 2013
6:58 PM

Post #9616880

I find that very helpful! Thank you for taking the time to explain! I had spent so much time changing the way I had my Daylilies listed in the categories just so the pictures would show a certain way. I find it helpful when moving plants out of season, to be able to see what they look like. I would click the column I wished to categorize by to help me figure out what plants will work where. Not sure if that makes sense to others. I'd probably have to screen shot to explain it properly, but one column I used to list the bloom season. With Daylilies I have them as Early, Mid, Mid late Etc. I used this with other plants as well, such as Narcissus. It is very helpful when you are trying to accomplish successive bloom and have a gap. The pictures help to decide if I am missing any colors for that bloom period or if I have way less that bloom at a certain time, etc. I also changed on column to say White Daylily or Pink Daylily etc. So that way I could sort by that column to see all the plants that were in the same color family all at once.
I am not sure if it would even work anymore now. I will have to try it out the way you have explained.
Meredith79
Southeastern, NH
(Zone 5b)

July 30, 2013
7:01 PM

Post #9616882

My journal is private so it does not allow me to view it from My Info, unless I am looking in the wrong place.

DreamOfSpring

DreamOfSpring
Charleston, SC
(Zone 9a)

July 31, 2013
4:42 AM

Post #9617133

Hi Meredith,

The work-around method I gave above that allowed me to access my journal and see the thumbnail shots of my flowers will only work if your journal is public. This is true because accessing one's journal via one's info page is analogous to viewing it as another person (not the journal owner); consequently, you will not be able to access your journal this way as long as it is private.

Depending on how important it is to you to be able to see your thumbnails, you might want to consider making your journal public temporarily, just until the journal problem is fixed. I have no idea how long that will be, however.

To get an idea what you would be able to see if you were to change your journal to public temporarily, you can try out this access method using another person's journal. Just click on that person's user name to go to their access page. For instance, you could click on my name and follow the links to view my journal this way. If you do try mine, be aware that I have multiple journals, so when you get to the 1st page of my journal, you will need to choose "Default Journal" from the list of journal options to go to the one that has pictures. Also, note that my journal doesn't have pictures for all plants. Just scan down the pages to see the ones that do. Roses, irises, camellias, and daylilies may be some of the better options for finding pics.

As to your other question about sorting, I checked and you can still sort your journal by the various columns regardless of whether you access your journal as yourself (choose "My Journal") or as someone else (from the "my info" page). Hope this helps.
cedar18
Lula, GA
(Zone 7b)

August 3, 2013
7:38 AM

Post #9620156

Wow, Dream of Spring. Thanks so much for your explanation of the missing pics and a possible workaround. I thought it was just me! I do hope they get that fixed. Being able to assign pics to my journal is a main reason I am a DG member. I too am having difficulty navigating the new menus. I can never FIND my journals /blogs. It used to be so easy.
bbrookrd
Nantucket, MA
(Zone 7a)

August 6, 2013
2:06 PM

Post #9623307

I have been away with no cell or computer while up at family cottage. Now on cell phone on ferry heading home. Can't wait to see your back door attack to see photo's in journal. Too hard to read on cell phone, but a big thank you for all your work. I will read it all tonight. Patti

DreamOfSpring

DreamOfSpring
Charleston, SC
(Zone 9a)

August 15, 2013
12:08 AM

Post #9631112

cedar18,

I hope the workaround helps, and thanks for letting me know it is useful. With respect to the menus, I think they removed what they saw as redundant access points or menus. I believe I saw that in an admin post somewhere. Before there were multiple ways to get to things like the journal, via different menus. Apparently they pared it down to just one. As a result, many of the menus we had grown accustomed to are no longer available. I think once we get used to the new menus, we will probably find them just as easy to use and find.

DreamOfSpring

DreamOfSpring
Charleston, SC
(Zone 9a)

August 15, 2013
12:13 AM

Post #9631114

Hi Patti,

I hope the workaround will help. It isn't perfect, but it's probably better than nothing. Like I said, I stumbled upon it by accident while trying to understand why I could see journal pics and you could not. The answer, of course, was that I was doing it 'incorrectly'.
bbrookrd
Nantucket, MA
(Zone 7a)

September 25, 2013
4:26 PM

Post #9670209

Pictures are back and the Journal order is now correct. Genus, Species, Cultivar. Miracle made by Terry. So Happy. Patti
jnn
Chapel Hill, NC
(Zone 7b)

August 25, 2014
12:50 PM

Post #9926022

I wish I could get a link to easily share my journal with my friends, or get an easily clickable link so I can post it to Facebook or Twitter.

SallieKr

SallieKr
Cherry Valley, IL
(Zone 5a)

August 25, 2014
3:19 PM

Post #9926129

jnn - go to your journal, click "view" on a specific item, scroll down almost to the bottom. Click "External View", then click "Back to jnn's Journal homepage." If you have more than one journal, click on the one you want to share. Now you can copy/paste the url into an email or Facebook or anywhere you like. Here's mine:

http://davesgarden.com/community/journals/sj/SallieKr/6263/

My journal is "Public"... I'm not sure if that matters. I guess it should!

Also, to save having to repeat all the steps, I create a journal entry and save the url in the "Initial Comments" field.

Actually, I should have tried it but didn't think of it until this morning. Your journal is here:
http://davesgarden.com/community/journals/sj/jnn/0/

It looks like you organize yours like I do. I have Birds and Butterflies categories, need to add animals.

This message was edited Aug 25, 2014 5:30 PM

This message was edited Aug 26, 2014 9:48 AM

SallieKr

SallieKr
Cherry Valley, IL
(Zone 5a)

August 25, 2014
3:44 PM

Post #9926156

Is this thread still active? I just found it today. If so, here is my wish list.

First, I should say that I actually use my journal as a plant database, not as a typical "journal". I haven't had time to really work with it yet, but from what I've seen the "My Blog" feature looks like it could be used as a normal journal. I started reading this thread and found some ideas I hadn't thought of, so I copied/pasted into this message along with my own.

#1: I've started adding entries for birds and butterflies into my journal in separate categories from the plants. It would be extremely helpful if there were links in BirdFiles and BugFiles to add the items to my journal, the same as in PlantFiles. It would save me a lot of copy/paste to the "Genus" & "Species" and then having to copy/paste the url for the specific BirdFiles or Bugfiles page into the "Initial Comments".

#2: Export DG journal data as a .csv file

#3: Start Date could be on "Initial Comments" line, like the entries ie:
Jun 21, 2014: Initial Comments

#4: Currently you can click on the column headings in the View Category listing, but I'd like for it to sort both Ascending to Descending AND Descending to Ascending. Just click a second time to toggle would work.

#5: It would be great to be able to add a photo to an entry after the entery has been created while in the Edit Entry mode. Also to be able to delete a photo from an entry without having to delete the whole entry.

#6: I would like to be able to access plants by location, so I could choose a garden area and see all the plants in it.

#7: Have "Location" set up the same as status: Statuses (Add/Edit statuses) and milestones: Milestones (Add/Edit milestones). Also, then be able to access by location, same as "Access by Status:"

#8: Ability to access by milestones, same as "Access by Status:". I have "Bloom start date" as a milestone, for example. If I could access items by that milestone, and sort the results, I could see which plants might look good planted together.

#9: I would like to be able to add pictures to milestones. Now I have to enter a milestone, and then add an entry for a picture to show first bloom, etc.

#10: Allow To Do Items to be created that arenít tied to a specific Journal Item. The reason is that sometimes my To Do item has more to do with general garden maintenance and not a specific plant in my Journal. For example: Time for Spring fertilizer.

#11: Sometimes a "Select All" with the ability to uncheck the few I don't want in the group would be helpful, as would the use of Shift-Select to Select a bunch of items at once.

#13: A drawing program that allows one to draw the basic shape of one's garden bed and "place" plants where you think they should go so that you could get an idea of what your garden will look like. Preferrably this would all be to scale to get a more accurate picture. I think melody mentioned this in a DMail 2 years ago. Any progress?

#14: The ability to have a master journal with all the categories set up, and the ability to clone it to a "year" journal ie: option to copy a journal to a new one, rather than move all items.

#15: Allow a sort by headers after a journal search.

Post a reply to this thread:

Your message:

You may upload up to 5 images. Press CTRL to select more than one image file.

Upload Images to your reply

-

Other DG Journals and Diaries Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
    Online journal - getting started Terry 219 Apr 1, 2008 1:12 PM
    The Garden Diary is ready for testing dave 159 Aug 18, 2008 7:51 PM
    "Watching" a Garden Diary dave 18 Jul 2, 2013 7:36 AM
    Using both the journal and diary barbur 4 Sep 28, 2013 6:57 PM
    How to set up your diary hgurule 25 Jul 16, 2010 5:48 PM

We recommend Firefox
    Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America