-
AuthorContent
tiG
Newnan, GA
(Zone 8a)

June 25, 2001
2:34 PM

Post #7149

Dave was told to take off the lower leaves. Am I supposed to do that? I have 2 that are about 15-24 inches and they have the one main trunk, and a tiny little y. Putting out leaves over the entire trunk. What now:)
tiG
Newnan, GA
(Zone 8a)

June 25, 2001
3:12 PM

Post #86767

oh, this is nerve-racking!!!! I don't want to learn, I just want it done!!!! Now you've seen tiG with her lower lip poked way out!
Did you tell Dave to take off the lower leaves and make it bush because he *didn't* want a tree? Which will give me blooms faster.
Giving up contest already, even a thought of it, just want blooms!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
tiG
Newnan, GA
(Zone 8a)

June 25, 2001
4:42 PM

Post #86802

fertilizing on Sundays and using Raid as per directed:) I'll take that tea now:) LOL!!!!! You're gonna get tired of me by the time I get a flower!!!
Brugmansia
FSH, TX

June 25, 2001
4:49 PM

Post #86806

Tig,
Well at least with the frosy pink you are bound to get a flowers no matter what, frosty pink is a good fast grower, excellent for pollen, but has absolutely no fragrance to speak of. Still, I have a few Frosty pinks in my yard. For fragance, which is my most favorite trait of the Brugmansia I much prefer the Dr.Sues, Jamaican Suaveolens, and the Solid Gold. Think those are most definitly my favorites so far for fragrance...boy do I ramble on...I don't have a clue really..., but I can tell you that the frosty pink can be grown on an island on the beach as it is the most salt hardy Brugmansia or so I have heard. I have seen it growing on an island on beach front property by the way if that helps.
Brugmansia

This message was edited Monday, Jun 25th 12:51 PM
tiG
Newnan, GA
(Zone 8a)

June 25, 2001
4:52 PM

Post #86807

oh! I thought I was supposed to play the funky music for me! You should hear it. I'll get speakers out to them right away. (hmm...looking back through notes, and don't recall seeing that)

:)
Brugmansia
FSH, TX

June 25, 2001
5:02 PM

Post #86815

Tig,
Playing music or simply talking to your Brugmansia plants does seem to help them grow in my experience. Also, a good hybridizing tip not to many will let out. Always ask or explain to the Brugmansia exactly what kinds of hybrides you are looking for and if they like you they will try to appease you. Hmm, if all else fails, beg. Frosty pink seems a bit more stubborn though so perhaps a few bribes are in order to get some colorful hybrides out of her. Perhaps an extra dose of fish emulsion for every seedling she gives you in color could be promised.
Rambling Brugmansia Lover,
Brugmansia
tiG
Newnan, GA
(Zone 8a)

June 25, 2001
5:12 PM

Post #86820

I guess that means I need to get off this computer and get my hiney outside! I think there are so many posts this morning cause we all worked so hard all weekend! Gotta be:)
MsBatt
Florence, AL
(Zone 7a)

June 29, 2001
11:56 PM

Post #88452

Brugmansia, I can't get over your saying the Frosty Pink has little or no fragrance---the one I have is so fragrant it makes me dizzzy! I guess I'll flat-out die when I get some other kind to flower!
Brugmansia
FSH, TX

July 1, 2001
6:36 PM

Post #89063

Judith,
Its people like you who insist on the most infragrant Brugmansia hybrid of them all being fragrant that give Brugmansia a bad name. Now, everyone who purchases a Frosty pink and expects to be loaded down with fragrance will be disappointed. Thats a joke by the way. And yes, some people do complain about Brugmansia being too fragrant or overwhelming so perhaps it is a good thing the less fragrant hybrids are out there.
Brugmansia
Georgiaredclay
lagrange, GA
(Zone 7a)

July 1, 2001
6:43 PM

Post #89067

I have noticed on my Datura and Brugs also they seem less fragrant after a rain. My conclusion is the water washes the fragrance out of the flower. I wonder if they are more fragrant morning - evening? sunny-cloudy? Any thoughts on this?
Brugmansia
FSH, TX

July 1, 2001
6:52 PM

Post #89071

Georgiaredclay,
I won't say anything about the Datura,
but my Brugmansia seem to be most fragrant in the hours between sunset and sunrise-even the frosty pink seems fragrant at 1am. Although others in here insist on saying that the frosty pink is fragrant regardless in this forum. Perhaps I am just lacking the smell receptors for the frosty pink-Joke. I do smoke though, so perhaps that has something to do with my not being able to smell the frosty pink until late at night.
Brugmansia
Georgiaredclay
lagrange, GA
(Zone 7a)

July 1, 2001
7:07 PM

Post #89079

Yeah, That smoke habit can affect taste and smell. Smoked until I was about 35 and finally got the desire to quit. Hardest thing I ever did. Boy did the smell and taste buds improve. Put on about 30 quick pounds which was alright because I was under weight at the time. Brugmansia do you not have any datura's?
Brugmansia
FSH, TX

July 2, 2001
3:35 PM

Post #89407

Georgiaredclay,
I have seen just about all 9 species of Datura and several different hybrides of them. If I had a favorite Datura it would be the Datura ferox or the black Datura metel double. The black metel double is purple on the inside and the outside of its corolla as opposed to the double metel most have that is sold as blue or purple but is actually purple on the outside and white on the inside. The cold truth is though that I don't like Datura. I won't allow them near the house. Weeds are what I call them and I am well aware that others hybridize Datura as well. Datura are just not to my liking.
Brugmansia
Georgiaredclay
lagrange, GA
(Zone 7a)

July 2, 2001
3:45 PM

Post #89408

Sorry, I didn't mean to get personal. Hope I didn't offend by asking. Jim
MzMunchken
Crestview, FL
(Zone 7b)

July 2, 2001
7:45 PM

Post #89488

Removed by member request
MsBatt
Florence, AL
(Zone 7a)

July 2, 2001
8:16 PM

Post #89506

One's sense of smell is distorted by smoking, but it's genetic in part, too. My mother smokes, and she can smell a gnat poot in a strong wind! But---I think privet hedge flowers smell sweet, but she thinks they smell like dirty socks. I grow some daturas which people say smell good, and I can't smell them at all. And some daturas just plain stink, to me. "Course, Brugmansia doesn't like Passifloras, either. (Did you ever let any of your red-flowered "Weeds" get big enough to send me some?)
arlene
Newberry, FL
(Zone 8B)

July 2, 2001
8:20 PM

Post #89508

I have to admit this spring i ripped my daturas out and planted other things. the double purple i had is very exotic looking but there is a brug growing in its old place. i do have a couple in little pots of volunteers i rescued, still wondering what to do with them...anyone want to trade?
i also thought frosty pink was fragrant until my yellow/gold opened, have to get right on it with 10 buds open, fragrance doesn't carry like my YG.

arlene
Brugmansia
FSH, TX

July 2, 2001
8:21 PM

Post #89510

Georgiaredclay, you have never offended me, on the contrary it is I who can not speak eloquently or clearly enough to keep my foot out of my mouth.
Mzmunchken, I'm all smiles today---Just sent tig and one other 7lbs total of my Brugmansia cuttings off of my named hybrid collection. So, thats about 3.5 lbs to each individual. Another 15 or so lbs of cuttings are laying on the porch dieing but I don't have time to send them all off and I already have more than enough of those hybrids I sent off. Tig, soak those cuttings in water for 24 hours and then plant in some good pottings soil as I ran out of moss and had to put some of those cuttings in without moss. I did give hardwood cuttings and green woody cuttings for the most part as several people in here have complained about the green cuttings being harder to root. I was going to send a cutting of a 1 month old seedling I rooted to show it could be done, but again, I am lazzy and I ran out of moss. Sent out a good batch of the double white candida species and a few different pink varieties, yellow, etc. Hope you enjoy and share with the others. Ps, if you could just send Pebbles a few cuttings or some rooted plants as I sent you more than you could possibly need unless you are going to hybridize of each variety I sent you. I would much rather you share these plants in this manner than send me any seeds or plants as I can not give away as much as I would like to this year. If you want to keep them all though that is fine too, just running short on funds right now and if I could I would gladly send a couple more lbs of cuttings out. I know 5 or so dollars plus moss for shipping doesn't sound like much of an expense, but trust me if you do it a few times it begins to add up. Anyway, share with the group if you can get them rooted. If you can't get them rooted then I will try to make a few more available later or a few seedpods.
Brugmansia
arlene
Newberry, FL
(Zone 8B)

July 2, 2001
8:35 PM

Post #89515

Brugmansia, you are very kind. If my broom was working i would fly over and clean your porch for you. Guess i have black plague or inability to express myself, not one person has inquired about your brugs i posted, did trade and share locally though, my favorite, i have only traded plants once this year, have to much to do to be packing plants...

This message was edited Monday, Jul 2nd 4:51 PM
tiG
Newnan, GA
(Zone 8a)

July 2, 2001
8:43 PM

Post #89521

Brugmansia, I will show the kindness you have shown me. I know how it is about postage funds, I got in over my head for a while and am having to swear off except for what i already owe. But I hope to get these rooting and I will follow in your footsteps and that of many others here. You are all so kind!!!! I'm going in the morning and get what I need to get these babies of yours going. I'll be ready when they get here. Thank you again.
btw, I smoke, and about the only thing in my yard I can smell are the stargazer lilies. :(
tiG
Newnan, GA
(Zone 8a)

July 3, 2001
2:09 AM

Post #89630

arlene, you don't have the plague!! :) If you listed brugs to trade, I'm really sorry I missed it!
Georgiaredclay
lagrange, GA
(Zone 7a)

July 3, 2001
12:58 PM

Post #89754

Whoa. Am I along on this ride. What trade and tiG I will come help with the Brugs for some cuttings. Please, alright then PRETTY PLEASE WITH SUGAR. Brugmansia, you speak my kind of language is all that I can say. I didn't even know the name of the plant that I was growing until JJGARDEN introduced me to this site. I called them Angel Trumpet. So reading your postings have been a joy to me. I find them very interesting and informing. Sort of like sitting in with an expert and getting lessons with out having to pay. Keep up the good work. Jim
tiG
Newnan, GA
(Zone 8a)

July 3, 2001
1:02 PM

Post #89756

LOL!! got that GA boy begging now:) and he's right, Brug, you are a joy to listen to. I never really understood the appreciation for a hybridizer until I met you.
Jim, arlene has a thread close to the top about trading cuttings from Brugs babies:)
Georgiaredclay
lagrange, GA
(Zone 7a)

July 3, 2001
2:20 PM

Post #89794

Trying to shove me off on Arlene now. I just don't get any respect. (pulling on my collar-Rodney Dangerfield impression. Boy I didn't know how talented I was or am I guess that's what I'm trying to say. Pity me doing these impersonations and no one knows how good I am at it besides me.) Stargazer lilies???? Mine are budded up almost ready to bring forth that wonderful beauty that I love so much. Arlene do you still want me to help with your landscaping?
Can I bring some Brugs back with me? I guess I'm going to have to hire me a secretay to keep up with all this tradeing. I'm outside working trying to keep my plants happy and ya'll are inside on the puter's tradeing and more tradeing. I missed that one. Jim
tiG
Newnan, GA
(Zone 8a)

July 3, 2001
4:11 PM

Post #89838

now I wouldn't shove a GA boy off on anyone!! They're the cream of the crop, I know, I got me one:)
that sweet shrub you have is worth something you know!!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Brugmansias Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
it you take cuttings from a blooming plant.. arlene 52 Dec 21, 2010 12:39 PM
Great Brugmansia hybrids fast Brugmansia 24 Jul 8, 2013 12:49 AM
How Many Other Canadian Brug Lovers Are Here? Ladybug 30 Aug 7, 2010 8:24 PM
Labeled Parts - 2nd try poppysue 15 Jan 8, 2010 2:19 PM
parentage monika 80 Nov 14, 2011 6:36 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America