Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Handyman: Bricks inside

Communities > Forums > Handyman
bookmark
Forum: HandymanReplies: 7, Views: 8
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Frankay
Northport, ME
(Zone 5b)

April 16, 2005
1:46 AM

Post #1405635

I have put a water sealer on the bricks of our exposed inside chimney. I would like it to have a finish like eurothane but have been told not to put that on bricks. Why? What's better? The chimney is double bricked. For a woodstove only. Why is polyurethane a bad idea? Frank
sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 17, 2005
4:25 PM

Post #1408525

I have seen hundreds of painted chimneys, so can't imagine it would be a no,no. I think it might soak up a great deal of the eurothane, but since you have put on the water sealer, maybe not.
I'll be watching closely, so let me know.
Sidney
Frankay
Northport, ME
(Zone 5b)

April 19, 2005
1:50 AM

Post #1411917

They claim the chosen finish is bad for mortar.I am still asking why. I'll let you know when/if I get an answer. Sounds like BS to me. Frank
araness
Auburn, AL
(Zone 8a)

April 19, 2005
2:01 AM

Post #1411937

I had to call my Dad on this one...he use to work (in his teen years) at a brick yard and has always laid our brick etc. I knew that we had a brick floor in one of our houses that he had stained and sealed (one of the few brick jobs he didn't do but hired out) and I didn't remember any problems with it. His reply was that you shouldn't have any problems with it at all, you might have to several years down the road apply another coat but that he didn't think that would be the case. He then started asking more detailed questions, as Fathers tend to do but the short of it is...go for it.
sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 19, 2005
2:15 PM

Post #1412614

Oh, how wonderful it is to have a father to call. I am trying to decide wheather to paint the brick fireplace/wall in my DM's house.
araness
Auburn, AL
(Zone 8a)

April 19, 2005
2:23 PM

Post #1412633

We painted our brick fireplace when we bought this house last year. If was a yellowish brick and since I have black leather and wanted gray walls I knew I had to do something.

And yes, I'm very lucky to still have a Daddy *G* I lost Mom April, 2003 so it's still very hard.
sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 19, 2005
3:34 PM

Post #1412739

Oh, I lost my DM June of 03, and it is still very hard.
I really hate to paint the whole house white, but I don't know what else to do. It's not selling now and is a great home. I have electric paint tools, so I will be doing the job by my self.
Sidney
araness
Auburn, AL
(Zone 8a)

April 19, 2005
5:47 PM

Post #1412990

Well I've always heard not to paint outside brick. I don't know why since it's pretty much the same maintance if it's done correctly than normal painting methods. And to be honest I don't think it looks bad at all. I've seen some that are painted white with shutters etc that I think look very nice. I know that in our case (we half t-11 and half brick) we had to do something with the T-11 and picked siding. I know of several people who didn't like the idea but when they are the ones that have to look at it, upkeep it and pay for it they can pick what THEY like *G*

I'm sorry to hear about your DM, when my Nanny passed away (Mom's Mother) I can remember my Mother breaking down and making the statement that she would miss her every day for the rest of her life. At the age I was (19 years old) I just couldn't understand that. I had no concept of the depth of grief you could feel by losing a Mother. I now understand and not a day that goes by that I don't miss Momma with everything I am. But given the choice of her being with me or her not being in pain or able to live life on her terms I just cry a tear and blow a kiss to the heavens.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Handyman Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Easy "Water Pic" Hole Digger roadrunner 20 Apr 11, 2008 3:43 AM
My rain water harvesting pics Dinu 24 Mar 31, 2009 4:28 PM
a peculiar bookcase (Horseshoe, have a look!!) dpmichael 56 Mar 17, 2007 6:57 PM
concrete stain crestedchik 7 May 30, 2007 4:27 AM
hard to move sliding glass door Janiejoy 10 Jul 9, 2009 3:37 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America