-
AuthorContent
Sami
Corapeake, NC
(Zone 6b)

April 16, 2005
8:17 PM

Post #1407127

I decided I wanted a small deck going out the patio doors. So I bought me the materials and went at it. DH not too happy about it because he just does not like to do things like this. But he let me do it anyway. I started on Mon afternoon of this week. It rained half day Tues so it did not get finished until today. I also planted the 2 flower beds beside the steps today. A couple hosta's on each side and Phlox and a couple Shrubs. It is not perfect but not bad for an amateur. Especially I guess a soon to be 60 year old woman. Boy do I feel it too. Every muscle hurts and back is killing me. I had to work on it by myself for the last three days. Hubby working this weekend so my goffer was not here. LOL
Sami

This message was edited Apr 16, 2005 4:18 PM
Sami
Corapeake, NC
(Zone 6b)

April 16, 2005
8:19 PM

Post #1407129

Oops forgot to add the picture.

Sami

Thumbnail by Sami
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Sami
Corapeake, NC
(Zone 6b)

April 16, 2005
8:22 PM

Post #1407133

Here are my beds I planted beside the steps

Thumbnail by Sami
Click the image for an enlarged view.

jkom51
Oakland, CA
(Zone 9b)

April 17, 2005
3:30 AM

Post #1407845

Wow, I am super-impressed! It is beautiful!! Just in time to enjoy spring, too.
Sami
Corapeake, NC
(Zone 6b)

April 17, 2005
9:53 AM

Post #1408080

Yes jkom51 it will be nice sitting out there in the mornings having my coffee. There is room enough for my two rod iron benches. Of course will have to have a couple of plants there too. I come from a family of 11 and 7 were boys. Three of them were carpenters. When I was young I would help them, driving nails holding boards and whatever. Learned a lot from them. DH has a hard time just driving a nail so I have to be the one to build around here if we want to get something built. It was fun doing it but I am suffering for it right now. Can't hardly walk this morning. LOL It's terrible to get old and not be able to the things you used to do so easy.

Sami
roadrunner
Hereford, AZ
(Zone 8a)

April 17, 2005
1:45 PM

Post #1408260

Hey Sami...the 10 years between us is narrowing! You always could work circles around me and your DH...but my DH and you worked well together...

I love the deck...and look forward to sharing a cuppa on it with you when I come east. I know how hard it is to start with raw land and make it into a yard...you did it in FL also...you'll get this one looking beautiful in no time.

Love & Hugs

Jo
sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 17, 2005
2:06 PM

Post #1408301

WOW that is great, Wonderwoman is you! It is just beautiful, I'm blown away.
Sidney
Sami
Corapeake, NC
(Zone 6b)

April 17, 2005
3:57 PM

Post #1408483

Jo
Do you know how many times I thought about Carl when I was working on the deck. Too many to mention. Was wishing he could see it. But maybe not he was a perfectionist. LOL. Only thing I regret about the railing is too high. Did not take into consideration that would be hard to see over it when sitting down. May have to redo that in the future but not right now. LOL. Looking forward to your coming and us having a cuppa on our new deck. Your room is waiting.

Sami
Sami
Corapeake, NC
(Zone 6b)

April 17, 2005
3:59 PM

Post #1408489

Sidney
Thanks so much but far from being superwoman anymore. Just determined when I make up my mind to do something. Especially when someone tells me I can't. LOL. Thanks for the advice on the ointment again. Will try it.

Sami
Debsroots
Northwest, MO
(Zone 5a)

April 18, 2005
12:31 AM

Post #1409707

Sami, great job...I would never be able to do anything like that. You should be very proud of yourself :)
Sami
Corapeake, NC
(Zone 6b)

April 18, 2005
1:03 AM

Post #1409764

thanks debcooper53
All the neighborhood guys would come by and ask what I was doing when I first started and I told them and they wanted to know if I was going to build it myself. No one offer to help either. They came by today and said I did a really good job. I was putting together an arbor that I had bought a big lots and didn't offer to help with that either. LOL One neighbor said I am going to come by and see how it looks when you get done, might want to get one for my self.
Sami

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

April 18, 2005
1:05 AM

Post #1409767

Good job, Sami! I always like to see another woman who can build...
sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 18, 2005
1:15 AM

Post #1409784

Sami,
I'll be surprised if they don't ask you to put it togeather for them. You just improved the value of your property by about $1,000.
That's a great deal to be proud of. If you weren't already married, they would be lining up at the door.
Sidney.
Sami
Corapeake, NC
(Zone 6b)

April 18, 2005
1:15 AM

Post #1409785

Thanks Darius
I really enjoyed doing it except my poor old back wasn't too happy at the end of the day.

Sami
araness
Auburn, AL
(Zone 8a)

April 19, 2005
1:56 AM

Post #1411932

WOW!!! I shudder to think what it would have looked like if I had tried to do that. Your very talented, *G* do you hire yourself out?
Sami
Corapeake, NC
(Zone 6b)

April 19, 2005
10:43 AM

Post #1412385

areness
I really like doing things like this but my age and my bad back holds me back from doing a lot of things. I really should not have done this type of thing but when you can't afford to hire it done then you just do the next best thing and diy. LOL.

Sami
araness
Auburn, AL
(Zone 8a)

April 19, 2005
1:53 PM

Post #1412584

I know how that goes...I would love a screen porch, but as we have just spent a large chunk to have siding put on the house that is going to be far off down the road. I have been thinking about DH and I taking the How-To classes at Home Depot on Saturdays to try and learn how some of these home repair projects are done, but both of us lack the talent.
Sami
Corapeake, NC
(Zone 6b)

April 20, 2005
12:04 AM

Post #1413814

araness
That's a good idea to take the classes. You would probably enjoy it. It is a shame that folks don't get together like they did at one time and help each other . You know how if someone needed a new barn they would have a barn raising and everyone would get together and help that person put up the barn. Wish that would come back again. I would like a front porch but I want tackle that. I want it to be concrete and would not even attempt to putting a roof over it. A deck is completely different. They are easy to build. Well not easy but easier than a porch.

Sami
roadrunner
Hereford, AZ
(Zone 8a)

April 20, 2005
12:17 AM

Post #1413835

Sami...what you need to do for the front porch is to get all the materials lined up...and invite my DS and DIL down for a few days...Keith is an expert at concrete..and a darn good carpenter.

Maybe I can get him to bring me down there after the KY RU! SHHHH we won't tell him what awaits!! LOL Jo
Sami
Corapeake, NC
(Zone 6b)

April 20, 2005
12:23 AM

Post #1413849

Jo
that would be great. I want tell if you want. LOL
Sami
BriarRose74
Moon Twp, PA
(Zone 6a)

April 20, 2005
1:29 AM

Post #1413984

Sami, You did Great!! I am proud of you too!!! You are my inspiration!! ~ Suzi :)
Sami
Corapeake, NC
(Zone 6b)

April 20, 2005
10:34 AM

Post #1414624

thanks BriarRose 74
Sami

Happy_1

Happy_1
Chicago, IL
(Zone 5b)

April 22, 2005
12:07 AM

Post #1418398

Sami, you are a girl after my own heart.

In my day I have done carpentry, plumbing, (sweating the joints) mason work, electrical and I'm so old I don't remember what else. But as you say, time took it's toll and I can no longer do things. In one way I'm sad for I truly loved doing those things, but then again, it's fun to look back and say, "I did that!"

Rest your bones,,,tomorrow is another day.

Hap
Sami
Corapeake, NC
(Zone 6b)

April 22, 2005
1:24 AM

Post #1418606

thanks hap
Well I spent the last two days with my grandson and I don't know which was worse, working my fingers to the bone or running after him. He is 1 year old and is a handful, but I really enjoy him. He makes my heart swell and makes me laugh especially when he reaches those little hands up to me to pick him and then starts patting me on the shoulder. Now he can go out on the deck with me but will have to put up a gate. LOL

Sami
roadrunner
Hereford, AZ
(Zone 8a)

April 22, 2005
2:17 AM

Post #1418713

Now folks...this Sami is the same person that couldn't understand why I was so enamoured with my grandson...who is now 10...and I'm still enamoured!! Now she understands!! LOL jo
sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 22, 2005
4:56 AM

Post #1419049

What I want to know is did they name the boys in your family Francis, Lacey and Shirley?;>)
Sami
Corapeake, NC
(Zone 6b)

April 22, 2005
10:19 AM

Post #1419207

No sugarweed those brothers of mine all have names like Jimmy, Jackie, David, Loisin, Albert, Peewee and Lonnie but you know what all those boys can cook, clean house and wash clothes and iron just as good as any woman can. With 11 of us kids we had to pretty much take care of our self. LOL
Sami
sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 22, 2005
12:53 PM

Post #1419391

So much the better for the woman who raises her sons to be survivors too. My DM was youngest of 7.
Wonderful big families.
Sidney
Sami
Corapeake, NC
(Zone 6b)

April 23, 2005
3:05 AM

Post #1421275

your so right Sidney a large family is great. We have a good time when we get together. It is getting smaller though. I only have 3 brothers left and three sisters. I am so far away fromt them too. Good to see them when we do get together though.
Sami

Starzz

Starzz
Newcastle, ON
(Zone 5a)

April 24, 2005
10:45 PM

Post #1424798

Amazing! Well done Sami!
Sami
Corapeake, NC
(Zone 6b)

April 25, 2005
12:27 AM

Post #1425013

thanks Starzz
Sami

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Handyman Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Easy "Water Pic" Hole Digger roadrunner 20 Apr 11, 2008 3:43 AM
My rain water harvesting pics Dinu 24 Mar 31, 2009 4:28 PM
a peculiar bookcase (Horseshoe, have a look!!) dpmichael 56 Mar 17, 2007 6:57 PM
concrete stain crestedchik 7 May 30, 2007 4:27 AM
hard to move sliding glass door Janiejoy 10 Jul 9, 2009 3:37 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America