-
AuthorContent
Sami
Corapeake, NC
(Zone 6b)

April 17, 2005
10:38 AM

Post #1408097

I have a very hard time winding up our hoses. I have one in the front that I have to use to water on both sides of the front and one in the box to water the length of the house. It is very hard to handle and is hard to wind back up and it is so long that it does not want to fit back in the box. I was wondering about those flat hoses. Do they work as good and are they as heavy as the regular hoses.

Sami
bassetts
Ormond Beach, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 18, 2005
1:34 AM

Post #1409823

I love my flat hoses. They are lightweight and easy to store. I use a small deck box and just roll up and toss inside. The only drawback is they don't last as long. Mine had a few puncture leaks after about 3 years. I just bought new ones. They come in a reel that I just throw away because it's useless, I just roll it up around my hand and elbow and throw it in the deck box. I use 4 50 ft hoses 2 on either side of the house. I could never drag around 100 feet of regular hose anymore it's just to much work.

bassetts
Sami
Corapeake, NC
(Zone 6b)

April 18, 2005
11:23 AM

Post #1410277

Thanks Bassetts I was hoping someone would say that. I am going to buy me two today. Do they only come in 50 feet length? I really need a 100 in the front and 100 in the back.
I sure miss my dear friend rdrnr's DH because he ran me line from the main connection out to my flower beds so that I did not have to run hoses all over the yard. I'm good with plumbing. Might just see what I can find out about doing that and try it. If I can build a deck surely I can do some plumbing. LOL
KSGrazier

July 17, 2006
3:59 PM

Post #2515437

Back on the topic of flat hoses, I have question for anyone using them.

I have theorized that a flat hose might solve a winter freezing problem. If one needs a hose to a water tank for animals, it can be very difficult in the winter to be sure to drain enough water to prevent blockages from forming. Even if one walks the water out before it freezes, there is enough remnant water in the hose to accumulate in a low spot and cause a block. When you then run water into the hose, it can be stopped and the new water can freeze before the block clears, which now leaves you with a totally blocked hose.

So, in my imagination, a flat hose might squeeze the water out and go flat before it can freeze, and then when new water pressure is applied, the hose can expand letting the warm water surround any remnant ice, and quickly flush out any ice before the water can freeze anywhere in the hose.

Is my imagination on track? Has anyone used flat hoses in the winter successfully? Do they always permit water to flow because of the flattening when the water's turned off?

P.S.: I use a quick-connect to unhook the hose from the freezeless faucet, so backfreezing isn't a concern. I would continue that practice, not being certain enough water would squeeze out so as to permit enough air in to drain the hydrant pipe quickly enough.
Sami
Corapeake, NC
(Zone 6b)

July 19, 2006
11:47 AM

Post #2522473

KsGrasier

The hose I use stays flat and does in deflat or inflat. I am not sure of the water freezing in the hose. It did not get that cold here last year so I am not sure if it would freeze in the hose or not. It might have got down to about 30 here but not for long. I really enjoy my hoses. I have two attached together because I have not been able to find any like these for more than 50 feet. I have one of the hose recoilers to just wind my back up in and out of sight. It is the smaller box and it will hold two of the hoses in it since they are flat hoses. I see my neighbor struggleing with his hoses and so glad I have the light weight ones.

Sami
KSGrazier

July 20, 2006
4:37 AM

Post #2525882

Sami, are you saying that when you run water into the flat hose, it doesn't inflate to become round? ??? I thought they did. And then when the water pressure is let off, they return to the flat shape, effectively squeezing the water out of them. Is that not how they work?
Sami
Corapeake, NC
(Zone 6b)

August 20, 2006
4:36 PM

Post #2641374

KsGrazier

I am sorry that I did not get back to you sooner on your answer about the hose but I have been working 10 days a week and 12 hour shifts and just have not had time to get on my computer until now.

But to your question the hose is flat and stays flat when the water is turned on. Here is a picture of the hose.
Sami

Thumbnail by Sami
Click the image for an enlarged view.

KSGrazier

August 21, 2006
4:26 PM

Post #2644388

Your hose appears to be molded together into three small tunnels. I wonder if that is true. If so, I can see why it stays flat.

The flat hose I'm thinking of is more like a fire hose: flat when empty, round when under pressure.

If you put a spray nozzle on one end of your hose and let it pressure up the hose, does the hose then swell up, or does it stay flat? If it stays flat under pressure, then it must be molded together down the core.

Now, if one uses flat hose that swells up under pressure but stays flat when there is no pressure, yet say it stays pretty well flat when just running open...then imagine such a hose freezing and getting a block...when you attach it to an outlet and start water pressure into it, it seems it would swell due to the freeze block, and continue to swell as the water works its way down, allowing warm water to surround any ice and break it out.

This is how I am imagining it, anyway. I can imagine, too, that as the warm water begins to break the ice up, pieces travel down and gather to create a new block with the hose fully swelled, permitting the warm water to cool and freeze before it can find its way out, and now we have a totally blocked hose.

And I am hoping to find someone who has experienced using expanding flat hoses during the winter, to tell me how this really works in practice. I have never heard anyone discuss this before...just was thinking of solutions for running water in the winter, and the expandable flat hose came to mind.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Garden Shed Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Quick-Disconnects for garden hoses? darius 18 Oct 5, 2007 8:07 PM
A Man and His Tractor LadibugZ9 16 May 12, 2007 6:29 PM
Tractor on it's way!!!! whooo-hoooo!!! cici77 16 Apr 26, 2008 9:24 PM
Old Reliable CountryGardens 49 Apr 16, 2010 8:20 AM
Your thoughts on a Mantis? Kell 122 Apr 16, 2012 5:53 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America